PDA

View Full Version : Eh?

O'Rourke3
23-11-2015, 11:09 PM
Dundee-Celtic: United States could host Scottish Premiership match - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34906274

Sent via the bushes @ EM

southern hibby
23-11-2015, 11:10 PM
Just heard it on radio trying for Boston or Philadelphia

GGTTH

Bostonhibby
23-11-2015, 11:13 PM
WTF? Nae famous involved!

Baldy Foghorn
23-11-2015, 11:14 PM
Dundee are well known in the States:fibber:

Michael
23-11-2015, 11:23 PM
Can we not keep the domestic competitions domestic, please?

If this is the direction football is going then I'm not interested.

Billychaotic182
23-11-2015, 11:25 PM
Nothing wrong with thus. The NFL come to the U.K. For games

GreenLake
23-11-2015, 11:29 PM

The Americans like Dundee Cake. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
23-11-2015, 11:29 PM
Just heard it on radio trying for Boston or Philadelphia

GGTTH

Boston would make sense if it's Celtic they're going to show, considering the large amount of people from Irish descent who live there.

Diclonius
23-11-2015, 11:39 PM
Wonder if Dundee season ticket holders - i.e. supporters who have paid to watch the game - will be pleased.

Outsourcing competitive games will be the death of football, at least to the fans.

Jim44
23-11-2015, 11:40 PM
Dundee are only five points above the playoff spot. However have they spoiled the suspense by arranging a game for next season in effing USA. I admire their confidence, if not their arrogance. If we don't get automatic promotion, I'd love us to meet Dundee in the playoffs final. Get the passports out folks.

monktonharp
24-11-2015, 12:17 AM
I am sure I heard correctly on the evening news (stv?) that the owner of Dundee was a texas business man? or someone from o'er the pond and that's what this is all about.

monktonharp
24-11-2015, 12:22 AM
just read the link. canny see any problem with it. business is business, nothing personal and all that. hope the Dee dinnae end up sleeping with the fishes:greengrin:

lord bunberry
24-11-2015, 12:35 AM
London Irish are going to play a league game over there next season as well. If it helps promote our game then I'm lol for it.

worcesterhibby
24-11-2015, 01:20 AM
I hate modern football

AZhibee
24-11-2015, 03:05 AM
I just want one crack at heckling Scott Allen.

Steve20
24-11-2015, 06:31 AM

Season ticket holders might disagree that there's nothing wrong with it. Doing them out a game.

marinello59
24-11-2015, 06:36 AM

That's because they are trying to expand their league and sport beyond their own borders. Unless we are planning on opening a franchise over there it seems to be no more than a vanity project.

Jones28
24-11-2015, 06:52 AM
Hope clubs respond in their pricing of season tickets

Scorrie
24-11-2015, 07:03 AM
Would be good if Celtic just stay there after the game an aw!

Dibben
24-11-2015, 07:20 AM

You'll need to get there early and catch him getting off the team bus...

Sylar
24-11-2015, 07:52 AM
The part of the article that really had me shaking my head was that the Tims are considering setting up a franchise in the US!

They'd better not play at Fenway!!!

Coults1875
24-11-2015, 08:40 AM

Who?

LancsHibs
24-11-2015, 08:45 AM
This is all for Celtic who will be pushing it, it will be packaged as the SPFL wanting to promote our game in the U.S. But that's bull the yanks won't be interested in our game, they are promoting their own MLS to their general public. This is about Celtic wanting to tap into the merchandise market over there and where better than Boston already has a basketball team the Boston Celtics and a plastic oirish population that dwarfs Parkheads!

Pretty Boy
24-11-2015, 08:51 AM
This is all for Celtic who will be pushing it, it will be packaged as the SPFL wanting to promote our game in the U.S. But that's bull the yanks won't be interested in our game, they are promoting their own MLS to their general public. This is about Celtic wanting to tap into the merchandise market over there and where better than Boston already has a basketball team the Boston Celtics and a plastic oirish population that dwarfs Parkheads!

Yep.

Let's be honest the Americans aren't going to suddenly give up on the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS, MLB and the various college sport championships to start watching the SPFL regardless of how aggressively we market it. It's all about allowing Celtic a wee money making jaunt and dressing it up as 'promoting our game'.

They'd be better off trying to promote our game positively in this country before worrying about the US. Every time anyone from the league, media, SFA etc speaks it seems to be doom and gloom.

Waxy
24-11-2015, 08:55 AM
Modern football is rubbish. Rebuild the terraces.

jacomo
24-11-2015, 10:35 AM
just read the link. canny see any problem with it. business is business, nothing personal and all that. hope the Dee dinnae end up sleeping with the fishes:greengrin:

You see no problem with playing a home league game 3,000 miles from home, in a different country? The NFL do it but those teams are franchises. We should be more protective of our heritage.

By the way, there is a huge opportunity for Hibs in North Eastern USA. I would love us to do a summer tour there. But not moving League games.

lord bunberry
24-11-2015, 10:48 AM
Yep.

Let's be honest the Americans aren't going to suddenly give up on the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS, MLB and the various college sport championships to start watching the SPFL regardless of how aggressively we market it. It's all about allowing Celtic a wee money making jaunt and dressing it up as 'promoting our game'.

They'd be better off trying to promote our game positively in this country before worrying about the US. Every time anyone from the league, media, SFA etc speaks it seems to be doom and gloom.
Americans wouldn't have to give up any of the sports you mentioned to take an interest in Scottish football. I watch loads of other sports whilst retaining my passion for Scottish football. If we can make some money from selling our game to American tv networks, then why shouldn't we try?

martin1875
24-11-2015, 10:57 AM
Surely no matter how much they want it, EUFA and FIFA will say no.

EPL tried it a couple of seasons ago didn't they? Looking to play a 39th round of fixtures and the powers that be were against it.

NAE NOOKIE
24-11-2015, 11:07 AM
A promotion exercise for Sellik, nothing more, nothing less. How will a game that empties all the plastic paddy O'rish bars in Boston to watch them demolish a sacrificial lamb like Dundee help promote Scottish football in general or Dundee in particular?

The Celts would be better doing something about their domestic audience .... I could be wrong, but from the pictures on Sportscene on Sunday if the actual crowd inside Darkheid was over 30,000 I'm a Yam.

green&left
24-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Americans wouldn't have to give up any of the sports you mentioned to take an interest in Scottish football. I watch loads of other sports whilst retaining my passion for Scottish football. If we can make some money from selling our game to American tv networks, then why shouldn't we try?

If American TV networks want to pay for Scottish football that is played in Scotland then barry. Thats not what is being proposed here though is it?

They can ram their stupid idea.

lord bunberry
24-11-2015, 12:12 PM
If American TV networks want to pay for Scottish football that is played in Scotland then barry. Thats not what is being proposed here though is it?

They can ram their stupid idea.
Maybe this game will lead to a tv deal. I don't see why people are so against it, we've got nothing to lose.

Baldy Foghorn
24-11-2015, 12:39 PM
It's a nonsense idea.............

Jim44
24-11-2015, 12:51 PM
I might be wrong, but I think the idea is the brainchild of the Texan Dundee owner.

lucky
24-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Don't agree with this but if it was to happen to Hibs it would be a great trip.

Baldy Foghorn
24-11-2015, 12:55 PM

Well I wouldn't be running a bus......:greengrin

Edson Arantes
24-11-2015, 01:29 PM

Aye, for teenage mums. :wink:

Sir David Gray
24-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Would be good if Celtic just stay there after the game an aw!

One advantage of Sevco going up this season would be that they could arrange to have this match with each other in the US and then they could both just stay over there.

I think I might suggest that!

KeithTheHibby
24-11-2015, 01:34 PM
What happens if Dundee are relegated?

Other than that I don't see the problem with it. Good publicity for our league and to be honest any positive headlines have to help the game up here.

IWasThere2016
24-11-2015, 01:45 PM
I might be wrong, but I think the idea is the brainchild of the Texan Dundee owner.

It is a Dundee idea...

scoopyboy
24-11-2015, 01:48 PM

Other than that I don't see the problem with it. Good publicity for our league and to be honest any positive headlines have to help the game up here.

A hasty reconstruction?

All part of the masterplan.

scoopyboy
24-11-2015, 01:49 PM

Only if it was an away game, remember you don't run buses to home games....:cb

NAE NOOKIE
24-11-2015, 02:12 PM

Aye it would, but when you look at our underwhelming set of friendlies at the start of this season I would just be happy if we could arrange a pre season game in Liverpool or London .... or Brugge, love that place :greengrin

Tha Cabbage Kid
24-11-2015, 02:43 PM

aye crocodile dundee:aok:

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-11-2015, 06:16 PM

Then they can play Sevco over there in the championship [emoji106]

iwasthere1972
24-11-2015, 06:22 PM
Then they can play Sevco over there in the championship [emoji106]

Or they could just go and play the Texas Rangers.

Tinribs
24-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Not dead against the idea, but as others have pointed out, we would do better by promoting the game more effectively here first. And lets be honest, season ticket prices would not reflect the one less game in the long term, maybe as a one off they would reduce them by 20 quid...but that would soon be forgotten about if the overseas fixture became regular.

The only way this would maybe work, would be to take the whole league over there for a full fixture long weekend, and no-one is going to wear that. Playing the odd game in Boston or wherever would not 'grow' the brand in the US.

.Sean.
24-11-2015, 07:25 PM
Taking the people's game away from the people. Any proper Dundee fan will quite rightly be raging with this. Work all week and look forward to a few pints an a day out at the football on a Saturday with your pals or your old boy and aw naw, you canny go because some ersehole Americans who are only in it for the cash and couldn't care less about you wants to take your football team across the Atlantic for their self-interest? Absolutely ridiculous.

Hopefully UEFA don't allow it. **** modern football.

bob12345
24-11-2015, 07:48 PM
Would like to say it shouldn't be considered, but the Scottish game is so starved of revenue anything has to be explored. A wee bit worried about the precedent it would set, but if it was Hibs and it meant earning the revenue that would help the club kick on, I'd be for it.

s.a.m
24-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Not in favour of league games being moved. Why can't they have a 'glamour' friendly, maybe for a Transatlantic Cup? Or organise a pre-season Scottish tournament? Or something.

Hiber-nation
24-11-2015, 08:12 PM
Taking the people's game away from the people. Any proper Dundee fan will quite rightly be raging with this. Work all week and look forward to a few pints an a day out at the football on a Saturday with your pals or your old boy and aw naw, you canny go because some ersehole Americans who are only in it for the cash and couldn't care less about you wants to take your football team across the Atlantic for their self-interest? Absolutely ridiculous.

:agree:

Spot on, if this goes through then who knows where it could lead. Absolute joke.

lucky
24-11-2015, 08:42 PM

But you'd be there. Imagine the extra loyalty points😄

rabcp1
24-11-2015, 08:45 PM
Not in favour of league games being moved. Why can't they have a 'glamour' friendly, maybe for a Transatlantic Cup? Or organise a pre-season Scottish tournament? Or something.

This is something the SFA/SPFL should be looking into! The EPL has the Asia cup in pre season which has helped market the game over there and gain an increaed TV deal (obvs the reputations of the clubs/league helps)

Theres a large number of Expats in America, Canada and Australia so why not play an expat cup with the SPFL champions playing along with a team from each top division in a knockout tournament, plaing in USA/Canada one year and Australia the next! I'd rather see this than playing league games abroad!

vuefrom1875
24-11-2015, 08:56 PM
EH?......JAMBOS next post code....EH69

SausageSurprise
24-11-2015, 08:59 PM
http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/156175-morton-v-hibernian/#entry5113639

I reckon the fanny farts next game should be played in Lithuania and should be free of charge to all Lithuanian residents and free hospitality for the pensioners who were shat upon to fund their recent tainted success

Noel Hunts to a man the lotta them

DH1875
24-11-2015, 09:29 PM
If Dundee offer this to celtic then they'd be mad to knock it back. What I dont get though, what are Dundee getting out of it?

jgl07
24-11-2015, 09:32 PM

Nothing to do with UEFA, is is the call of FIFA. They ruled out the EPL playing a 39th round of fixtures in other countries a few years back.

Mind you FIFA may not exist for much longer.

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-11-2015, 09:35 PM
http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/156175-morton-v-hibernian/#entry5113639

I reckon the fanny farts next game should be played in Lithuania and should be free of charge to all Lithuanian residents and free hospitality for the pensioners who were shat upon to fund their recent tainted success

Noel Hunts to a man the lotta them

What a totally shan thread that is. Top banter [emoji107]

DH1875
24-11-2015, 09:35 PM
Nothing to do with UEFA, is is the call of FIFA. They ruled out the EPL playing a 39th round of fixtures in other countries a few years back.

Mind you FIFA may not exist for much longer.

The 39th game thing and this idea are very much different.

monktonharp
25-11-2015, 01:40 AM
You see no problem with playing a home league game 3,000 miles from home, in a different country? The NFL do it but those teams are franchises. We should be more protective of our heritage.

By the way, there is a huge opportunity for Hibs in North Eastern USA. I would love us to do a summer tour there. But not moving League games.you don't do jokes, do you. ? I couldnae gie a flyin' fiddler's mif it happens, to be honest. nothing would surprise me in football these days but it is blatantly obvious that the current owner of DFC is behind this idea and If the Dee fans and board allow this to happen, hell mend them.they almost fell for a Romanov deal. the only real winners would be CFC, on a merchandise front imho. Dundee have flirted with some dodgy characters over the last 15 years, although bringing in some fantastic players like the long haired Argentinian guy (?) but don't seem to have got out of the trough they have been in for years. N.E.America? where are we gonna somehow drum up a following that can put money in, on that front? :rolleyes:

Smartie
25-11-2015, 07:23 AM
Who?

A poor man's John McGinn.

Smartie
25-11-2015, 08:59 AM
Who?

A poor man's John McGinn.

JimBHibees
25-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Listened a bit to Sportsound last night and no wonder Scottish football is in the doldrums the guests particularly Archie MacPherson couldnt have been anymore negative about the game if he tried. Kept going on about the OF wanting to leave blah, blah, blah. How about the discussion of new ideas like change of league structure/sharing of gates etc which may make the league and in general the game a bit more appealing. Barry Hearn was spot on yet nothing has changed which you have got to assume suits the main players involved.

NAE NOOKIE
25-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Listened a bit to Sportsound last night and no wonder Scottish football is in the doldrums the guests particularly Archie MacPherson couldnt have been anymore negative about the game if he tried. Kept going on about the OF wanting to leave blah, blah, blah. How about the discussion of new ideas like change of league structure/sharing of gates etc which may make the league and in general the game a bit more appealing. Barry Hearn was spot on yet nothing has changed which you have got to assume suits the main players involved.

The problem with our game in a nutshell ..... too many bloody auld Dinosaurs who cant get past the mindset that the ugly sisters are Scottish football and especially the idea that for our game to thrive they must too.

Future17
25-11-2015, 11:42 AM
If Dundee offer this to celtic then they'd be mad to knock it back. What I dont get though, what are Dundee getting out of it?

I think Dundee have American owners now, which is why they are the team being touted. As to what they would get out of it, I would imagine that will be a 50% share of the gate receipt profits.

JimBHibees
25-11-2015, 11:46 AM
I think Dundee have American owners now, which is why they are the team being touted. As to what they would get out of it, I would imagine that will be a 50% share of the gate receipt profits.

Is there going to be any profits when both teams have flown half way across the world for the game?

DH1875
25-11-2015, 01:36 PM

Where's the point in that? Say 40k fans turn up, by the time they've paid for flights, hotels and all the other costs they'll have been better of staying in Dundee and getting ALL the money. I