PDA

View Full Version : Mowbray or Stubbs

iwasthere1972
23-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Who gets your vote.

Loved it during the Mowbray era but he did have the advantage of coming in when we had the 'Golden Generation' of Garry O'Connor, Derek Riordan, Scott Brown, Kevin Thomson, Steven Whittaker etc. Some good players were signed during his reign but despite this we didn't actually achieve anything.

On the other hand Stubbsy arrived and basically all he had to work with was deadwood. A major clear out was required and to bring in the players of quality he has, and don't forget that it must have been difficult to convince a player to join us being in the Scottish Championship over a top division team in Scotland or even a first division team in England, is something to be applauded.

As I mentioned before, Mowbray was great during his short spell with the club but Stubbsy gets my vote.

Now let's win this league.

:flag::flag:

Nameless
23-11-2015, 07:12 PM
Can't vote on my phone, but it would go to Mowbray. Reason being, we dominated rangers and celtic and were a joy to watch. The 0-3 cup game at ibrox and the 1-2 game at tynie are my two favorite games I've been to.

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2015, 07:28 PM
Mowbray all day long, he had us playing in europe through league qualification. Some of the football was the best i have witnessed since the early 70s.

HH81
23-11-2015, 07:30 PM
How can anyone vote Stubbs when he has never mananged in top league?

We won't know hoe good he is until he does but it doing decent job now.

Pretty Boy
23-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Mowbray for now.

A lot of made of the fact he had a lot of good youngsters but they hadn't done a whole lot (league wise) up to him taking charge. We went from 8th to 3rd in a season and finished 4th the following season. He also signed probably the best full back I have seen at ER and a quality midfielder in Boozy. There may be a bit of rose tinted glasses as I was in my late teens and early 20s when TM was in charge and going to the football at that time was a great laugh with mates every week.

If Stubbs can get us up and continue to improve us as he has and continues to sign the standard of player he has then he will be right up there. He's already pretty close.

Lago
23-11-2015, 07:35 PM
Mowbray:top marks

lord bunberry
23-11-2015, 07:37 PM
If Stubbs takes up then we can make a proper comparison. If Stubbs sticks around for long enough then I've got a feeling he will turn out to be the better of the 2. If he wins the Scottish cup this year then he will be god.

B.H.F.C
23-11-2015, 07:38 PM
The fact that we had about 11k season ticket holders under Mowbray tells its own story IMO.

Stubbs is doing all right just now but still has to get us up before he can be considered a success IMO. Winning the League Cup wouldn't be bad either!

Carheenlea
23-11-2015, 07:42 PM
It's difficult to compare due to different leagues and challenges, but what I would say is the feel good factor for me is on a par of that of the Mowbray tenure. I walk out after games now immediately looking forward to the next game, and start counting down the days till Hibs are in action again. I felt exactly the same when Mowbray was in charge. I hope that sensation remains for a long time to come, but there are 3-4000 odd fans who maybe felt that way under Mowbray who don't unfortunately feel that way at the moment.

anon1875
23-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Stubsy, I've never been a nostalgic person because no one gives a **** where you've been, it's all about where you're going.

FromTheCapital
23-11-2015, 07:44 PM
Stubbs.
Mowbray got the Hibs job at the best possible time whereas Stubbs got it at the worst time possible.
Mowbray was great for Hibs but my vote goes to Stubbs. All he has to do is get us promoted this season and I'm pretty confident he'll do just that :aok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monktonharp
23-11-2015, 07:47 PM
Mowbray:top marks

majorhibs
23-11-2015, 07:52 PM
It's difficult to compare due to different leagues and challenges, but what I would say is the feel good factor for me is on a par of that of the Mowbray tenure. I walk out after games now immediately looking forward to the next game, and start counting down the days till Hibs are in action again. I felt exactly the same when Mowbray was in charge. I hope that sensation remains for a long time to come, but there are 3-4000 odd fans who maybe felt that way under Mowbray who don't unfortunately feel that way at the moment.

On the money. Bring on next Saturday. Thats a Hibs manager.

Hibbyradge
23-11-2015, 08:00 PM
If Mowbray could have organised our defence like Stubbs has, we'd have achieved a lot more.

Edit: Remember all those last minute goals we conceded? Horrific.

Jack Hackett
23-11-2015, 08:01 PM
This club was on its knees 18 months ago. The recovery under Stubbs and Dempster has been remarkable. Pride in our new team...on and off the pitch...is growing weekly. Mowbray did well with the team he basically inherited, but Stubbs has turned us around from what was beginning to look like terminal decline to me.

Getting bums back on seats will take a while. Other than the odd high interest game, it will be when we get back where we belong that the majority of drifters will return. Given the level of expectation engendered by our current run, he really needs to make that happen.

I have every faith :aok:

Northernhibee
23-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Stubsy, I've never been a nostalgic person because no one gives a **** where you've been, it's all about where you're going.

Tell that to the "Sign Deeks up" brigade :greengrin

Billy Whizz
23-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Tell that to the "Sign Deeks up" brigade :greengrin

Is he still training with us?

Viva_Palmeiras
23-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Folks forget - just as Stubbs and Leeann have given us our club back Mowbray did the same. Short term memories guys.

pacorosssco
23-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Better manger or better times so far?. Record against each other not fair to judge. Mowbray gave best times ive seen v OF but also some of worst v them with hugely talented team and up and down form, zibby big black mark. Mowbray attendences higher and sell outs in smaller stadium in better financial times for fans and I would think budgets. Both new managers when starting out and one got golden bunch the other 8 players with soul destoryed. Stubbs and Mowbray given fans what they want. Impossible to compare but id go with Stubbs if pushed due to what hes had to work with and make no mistake we are a top flight team as good as any. Mowbray got internationals in making. Ill stick with a very hard to judge contest. I knew under Mowbray we would win a trophy. Stubbs looks the same. Knockin on doors.

Sir David Gray
23-11-2015, 08:42 PM
It has to be Mowbray since Stubbs has never managed in the top league in Scotland yet.

I really like Alan Stubbs though and I will be really pleased for him if he can take us up this season.

PISTOL1875
23-11-2015, 08:47 PM
It has to be Mowbray since Stubbs has never managed in the top league in Scotland yet.

I really like Alan Stubbs though and I will be really pleased for him if he can take us up this season.

When he takes us up this season!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skol
23-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Who from the current team would get into Mowbray's team ?

The Ox probably and maybe Gray....but otherwise its hard to make a case for any of the current crop. While Stubbs has transformed things, those days of watching Boozy, Zemmama Brown, Thomson, even Mikey Stewart......

Mowbray by a mile for me right now.

The poster who mentioned about the defense though is spot on. Hanlon for me looks a different player. Fontaine is a real find. McGregor means we dont miss either when out

Andy74
23-11-2015, 08:55 PM
I love Stubbs but let's be realistic. All recent managers have been judged against the ability to challenge in the top 3 or 4 so we have a bit to go before we can say that's been achieved.

givescotlandfreedom
23-11-2015, 09:09 PM
We'll know better when Stubbs takes us up into the Premier League.

PISTOL1875
23-11-2015, 09:19 PM

Exactly Scott , none of this '' if '' milarky As champions as well I might add..

:aok::aok::aok:

silverhibee
23-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Mowbray all day long, he had us playing in europe through league qualification. Some of the football was the best i have witnessed since the early 70s.

:agree:

And look at the teams/players we were playing against in the top league where as right now we happen to be playing in the lower league that has some part time clubs playing in this league.

You really can't compare the two as both were/are in different leagues, one was in the top league playing against some top players at that era, the other is just now playing in this league where the standard of play from most players are pretty poor.

In saying that, Stubbs has it and if he can get us up and stay with us for a couple of seasons then i can see him maybe eclipsing what Mowbray done, just as long as the club doesn't start selling our players off to fill in the corners and finally get that heli pad sorted.

But right now it's Mowbray for me. Football was really enjoyable then, Stubbs is getting there but we have to wait and see how he does when he gets us in to the top league, and i think he will.

silverhibee
23-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Is he still training with us?

Yes.

But not in La Manga. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
23-11-2015, 09:56 PM
When he takes us up this season!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apologies, slip of the finger!

WHEN he takes us up this season. :agree:

jacomo
23-11-2015, 10:30 PM
Stubbs.
Mowbray got the Hibs job at the best possible time whereas Stubbs got it at the worst time possible.
Mowbray was great for Hibs but my vote goes to Stubbs. All he has to do is get us promoted this season and I'm pretty confident he'll do just that :aok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Stubbs very much, but he's had more support from the club than any recent manager - CEO, footballing debt, HTC, his own coaching team. Installing a professional culture at Hibs is probably his greatest achievement so far but he's been given resources to do it.

A tough job, but the kind that many managers would relish.

Mowbray had a good relationship with Petrie and the nucleus of a good team, but no training centre, and much harder opposition. So many of the best players in his team were his signings - Jones, Murphy, Boozy, etc

Baader
23-11-2015, 10:35 PM
Liked Mowbray a lot. He was great for Hibs and Hibs worked for him - won promotion with WBA but career didn't go as it should and taking the Celtic job was a huge mistake at the time. Also our mindset in the really big games seemed to be lacking. That dreadful semi final springs to mind.

I am certain Stubbs will achieve more as a manager than Mogga did (or will.) Just hoping some of it will be with us. No doubt in my mind he is going to be a top coach.

Onion
24-11-2015, 12:39 AM
Mowbray for me. Some of the very best football I've seen at ER and away from home. The 0-3 double at Hunbrox and 1-3 at Celtic were stand outs against very decent sides. Stubbs has done nothing that comes close to that.

Rivers Cuomo
24-11-2015, 07:38 AM
Mowbray for me. Some of the very best football I've seen at ER and away from home. The 0-3 double at Hunbrox and 1-3 at Celtic were stand outs against very decent sides. Stubbs has done nothing that comes close to that.

Pumping The Rangers 4-0 comes close for me.

Speedy
24-11-2015, 07:39 AM
Mowbray at the moment.

As good as this team has been to watch at times, we've achieved nothing (yet). If Stubbs continues in the top league he's in with a shout.

Steve20
24-11-2015, 08:03 AM
Mowbray. Until Stubbs gets us promoted and playing well in the top flight, he can't be considered on the same level as Mowbray.

erin go bragh
24-11-2015, 08:11 AM
Mowbray . But it's the best I've felt at games since Mowbrays stint . Now if the question was Mcleish or Mowbray ! That's a hard one to call but I think Mcleish just edges it .

GGTTH

Nutmegged
24-11-2015, 08:47 AM
Definitely Mogga, impossible to truly compare though, that was the only period in my life where I genuinely went to every game believing we could beat anyone we faced and while I do think the same this Season you can't really compare these clubs Sevco apart with the old SPL clubs we faced during Moggas time, the talent in the squad, the style of play, the talent in the entire League and the crowds at Easter Road, it was a special time which in itself hasn't always been an easy thing to achieve with Hibernian.

Stubbs is doing marvelous too though but its best remembered that anyone managing Hibs would be expected to be 2nd in the table at this moment in time, all Alan has done so far is match expectation.

kaimendhibs
24-11-2015, 10:30 AM

👋👋👋

Thecat23
24-11-2015, 10:42 AM
To be honest it's hard. Mowbray came when we had the golden era of young Hibs players coming through. So his job isn't anywhere near as hard as Stubbs.

Going back further Mcleish had the money that's why we had such a good side. I'd like to know what we would have if Stubbs or even Mowbray got that money to spend.

Out the three I think Stubbs will be the most successful of them all.

Lago
24-11-2015, 11:13 AM
To be honest it's hard. Mowbray came when we had the golden era of young Hibs players coming through. So his job isn't anywhere near as hard as Stubbs.

Going back further Mcleish had the money that's why we had such a good side. I'd like to know what we would have if Stubbs or even Mowbray got that money to spend.

Tend to agree with you, my main worry is that Stubbs, like Mowbray, will be tempted down South before he really gets near to finishing the job.

WeeRussell
24-11-2015, 11:29 AM
Mowbray did great things at Hibs. Stubbs is about to.

snooky
24-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Stubbs is much better than whats-his-name.
No contest.

Bracksy
24-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Had a lot of time for Mowbray, but Stubbs gets my vote...

IMO he has signed better plays, plays attractive football (which Mowbray did as well tbh) and quite importantly has his team physically fit enough to see games out through the 90.

Could be wrong but I think I can remember a few games where we through away leads quite late on against pretty average oppo...

Vault Boy
24-11-2015, 12:30 PM

Agree with this. I cautiously feel that we are at the cusp of a very successful time for the club.

IWasThere2016
24-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Mowbray - he had better players .. granted .. but the football was better and brilliant at times. The month we won 1-4 at both Dundee sides, and beat both The Sheep and Caley Jags 2-1 at ER was sublime!

Bad Martini
24-11-2015, 12:51 PM
Just to balance this rose tinted debate up a bit...

You CAN compare managers, relatively speaking. Yes, its fair to say you cannot compare like for like but it certainly is possible to judge the job both men done with the resources they had, the position they found themselves in and what they done with what they had respectively.

I voted Stubbs for many reasons.

I fully believe we can be a better team with Stubbs in charge due to what I have seen so far than what we were under Mowbray, putting aside the money/resources/etc. In short, if both men started on the same level playing field, from what I have seen, I think Stubbs would have fared better.

I base this on the fact under far more difficult circumstances with the club at our lowest ebb since the Mercer bollocks, he has done (relative) wonders. We have turned things around on and off the pitch even since last season. Stubbs probably could've jumped ship after last season and didn't.

Dont get me wrong, he's not the finished article managerially and neither are Hibs. That said, neither was Mogga.

I think Mogga made more (bad) mistakes in (MY) humble opinion and Im not diggin them up. I just believe that. Equally, he had many good days and I liked them...turning over the infirm was braw but we had bad days too....

Anyway, to conclude; Mogga didnt win anything so you can state perfectly fairly that he did not put anything more in our cabinet than Stubbs, so far. I remember some bad loses that SHOULD (again in my opinion) have led us to silverware. We wont go over them and not to say but Mowbray's "team" (as so many folk have said) were the team that won us the cup....that proves my point perfectly. Yes, it largely was. But the problem with good old uncle tony was, HE couldnt win the cup with "his" team.

But, were on the up and from where I am sitting, I beleive with the same chances, Stubbs can and will take us further than Mowbray did. And without the same chances, I believe Stubbs will take us further than Mowbray could have, if he were in Stubbs position. FInally, I hold out the hope Stubbs wont **** off down south or west a few days before a derby but we've all learned to never say never in fitba.

EITHER WAY, we're going the right direction now. Upward. Onward. GGTTH.:aok:

dangermouse
24-11-2015, 12:56 PM
I went for Stubbs. Although the football under Mowbray was a joy to watch it is starting to get that way with Stubbs apart from when we come up against teams that just park the bus (Alloa being case in point).

Where Stubbs really shades it for me is in his eye for a player. I can't think of any player he has brought in that has been a dud, OK some never got a chance (Sinclair) but that was a stop gap. Look at the quality he has brought to the club. Mowbray found some gems as well, Boozy, Murphy, Jones, but he also gave us some absolute crap especially in between the sticks.

jacomo
24-11-2015, 01:01 PM
I went for Stubbs. Although the football under Mowbray was a joy to watch it is starting to get that way with Stubbs apart from when we come up against teams that just park the bus (Alloa being case in point).

Where Stubbs really shades it for me is in his eye for a player. I can't think of any player he has brought in that has been a dud, OK some never got a chance (Sinclair) but that was a stop gap. Look at the quality he has brought to the club. Mowbray found some gems as well, Boozy, Murphy, Jones, but he also gave us some absolute crap especially in between the sticks.

It's a lot easier to play good football in this division. We get so much possession.

I think this team would do well in the Premiership, but being tested week after week is what counts. As others have said above, Mowbray had to compete against a much higher standard of opposition.

Way too early to put us on a par with that team IMO.

dangermouse
24-11-2015, 01:26 PM
It's a lot easier to play good football in this division. We get so much possession.

I think this team would do well in the Premiership, but being tested week after week is what counts. As others have said above, Mowbray had to compete against a much higher standard of opposition.

Way too early to put us on a par with that team IMO.

We have played two premiership teams already this season with another (possibly two more) to come and have coped admirably against both. I'd go as far as to say we played our best football against these two teams asn we were not trying to break down an 11 men behind the ball mentallity we see week in week out both home and away (with the exception of the rangers).

Last season was the same, two premiership teams and the only defeat was on penalties (a game we should have won) so it looks like Stubbs is able to pick a team and tactics to play at a higher level.

As for being tested week in week out that's exactly what is happening albeit not by free flowing attacking opposition. The pressure this season is to better the rangers and we will only do that by winning every week and so far Stubbs is walking the walk in that respect.

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Voted for Mowbray, in the absence of the " neither...not a fair comparison" option.

cmcd
24-11-2015, 03:54 PM
I don't think it's easier to play football in this league Most teams park the bus and don't give us any time on the ball Believe some of our best football this season has been played against the Done and Utd

SeanWilson
24-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Has to be TM. Stubbs is great and hibs are right back on track but the teams we beat/put a great performance in under TM were of a far greater quality than anything we would face even in the SPL now.

ancient hibee
24-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Could never vote for somebody who landed us with one of the worst goalies I've ever seen at Hibs and then hopped it.

FranckSuzy
24-11-2015, 06:01 PM
For one reason alone I voted for AS. I firmly believe that IF he was the leave us and head West to Celtc, he would never be disrespectful and participate in their 'huddle' at ER.....

Shaggy
24-11-2015, 06:08 PM
To early to say yet....

But dont forget Stubbs still has a possible treble to go for this year !!! :flag:

Scouse Hibee
24-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Stubbs for me, has taken us from the doldrums, built a team by showing a great eye for a player and unearthed some gems without already having exceptional talent at the club. He in my opinion is building some really special at Hibs, I only hope he gets to finish what he has started but oh yes it looks special and we haven't even got half way there yet.

Zazu62
24-11-2015, 07:45 PM
Has to be Mowbray. Got us flying with some great football when we badly needed it. Some of the derbies won't be remembered but I think he only knew 1 way to play and that was attack when at times we didn't have a plan b

StevieBoyKdy
24-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Close to call, Mowbray gave me some of my best days out, 3 zip at ibrox in the cup was simply beautiful. The cup win was his team which nobody can deny. He made a few rotten signings though. Moggas Derby record I recall wasn't brilliant seem to mind a few gubbings and our defence was poor at times. For me Stubbs has built everything from back to front all his key players are his own, mogga was lucky to work with a generation of 5-6 kids all fantastic in their own right to be coming through at the same time.

i voted Stubbs. Love him

lord bunberry
25-11-2015, 06:16 AM
Stubbs for me, has taken us from the doldrums, built a team by showing a great eye for a player and unearthed some gems without already having exceptional talent at the club. He in my opinion is building some really special at Hibs, I only hope he gets to finish what he has started but oh yes it looks special and we haven't even got half way there yet.
I agree with all that, but until he gets us promoted(which I think he will by winning the league)everything you listed won't be enough. He's got a much tougher job than Mowbray had and only 1 thing will define whether he is considered to be a success.

Bad Martini
25-11-2015, 11:33 AM
Close to call, Mowbray gave me some of my best days out, 3 zip at ibrox in the cup was simply beautiful. The cup win was his team which nobody can deny.

...nobody can deny it was largely Mowbray's "team".

...in the same way nobody can deny that Mowbray failed to win the cup with "his" team :aok::agree:

Alas, Mowbray had many good points. That's true. He didn't win anything though. And if "his" team won that cup, it wasn't due to St Tony. It was due to Collins. In addition, Mowbray at the helm would never have passed that semi-final at the big pink bus shelter when things got difficult.

And the final speaks for itself...

Anyways, I'm not really here to slate Mowbray but the truth be told, he failed to win the cup with his own team. Collin's didn't and that's what history will show.

Hopefully Stubbs can get us another bit of silverware and this debate will disappear :gwa:

Robinho08
25-11-2015, 02:23 PM
Can't really compare until we're promoted and that's assuming Stubbs is still the 1st team coach.

However saying that. I still think TM left Hibs smelling of roses. Seem to remember Hibs going through a run of bad results before he left and it would have been interesting to see how he'd have done once the golden generation were sold off.

Just Alf
25-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Love what Stubbs is doing, but voted Mowbray, this time next year if we've achieved promotion then I think it'll be the other way around!

lucky
25-11-2015, 02:39 PM
Stubbs and Hibs are progressing but this team and manager are miles away from Mowbrays team at the moment.

NAE NOOKIE
25-11-2015, 03:25 PM
I don't think you can make comparisons between the two. Mowbray inherited a group of talented players and added to it , Stubbs has assembled a group of talented players, but had little from the academy to work with. Mowbray was up against tougher opposition than Stubbs, but Stubbs has shown he can win games against tough opposition too.

Dunno where I'm going with this :panic:

cmcd
25-11-2015, 09:17 PM
Stubbs and Hibs are progressing but this team and manager are miles away from Mowbrays team at the moment.

Please remind me what TM won at Hibs

Dashing Bob S
25-11-2015, 09:24 PM

League Cup. Collins merely showed up in proxy to collect the trophy.

monktonharp
25-11-2015, 09:28 PM
League Cup. Collins merely showed up in proxy to collect the trophy.:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
25-11-2015, 09:30 PM

3rd and 4th place in the league, qualification for europe through league positions.

We would kill for those finishes now.

I very much doubt Stubbs will emulate these finishes, as if he did he'd be away after the first success in the SPL.

I think we'd all be pleased he had achieved it, but sad he'd gone. It seems by bringing in managers like Mowbray and Stubbs, the minute they get any real success they will look to further their career back in England.

I suppose the secret is to keep the success going, maybe if this scenario turn out to be correct, Dempster hopefully has more success than the clown who's been doing it before.

monktonharp
25-11-2015, 10:58 PM
3rd and 4th place in the league, qualification for europe through league positions.

We would kill for those finishes now.

I very much doubt Stubbs will emulate these finishes, as if he did he'd be away after the first success in the SPL.

I think we'd all be pleased he had achieved it, but sad he'd gone. It seems by bringing in managers like Mowbray and Stubbs, the minute they get any real success they will look to further their career back in England.

I suppose the secret is to keep the success going, maybe if this scenario turn out to be correct, Dempster hopefully has more success than the clown who's been doing it before.I agree with a lot you have said here Blackpool. but to be fair to Petrie, it has to be stated that he had a lot more to contend with, regarding getting monies in for putting the club back on a stable financial footing whilst at the same time getting the stadium up to a first class standard for the future. there were other issues to deal with too, such as dealing with player mutiny, (although he should have backed the manager?) and not withstanding, the constant underhand press comments and unscrupulous dealings of certain player's agents etc. I did and always will blame RP for his handling of the Riordan situation when he went to Celtic, but I agree that if Alan Stubbs gets us to where we want to be soon, the pressure will be on for us to retain him, or more importantly for him,to decide when he takes an offer that should invariably happen. All in All, bringing in an untried young English manager to a club like ours is good for the manager, if he has a modicum of success.

#FromTheCapital
25-11-2015, 10:58 PM
Mubbs

majorhibs
25-11-2015, 11:39 PM
I agree with a lot you have said here Blackpool. but to be fair to Petrie, it has to be stated that he had a lot more to contend with, regarding getting monies in for putting the club back on a stable financial footing whilst at the same time getting the stadium up to a first class standard for the future. there were other issues to deal with too, such as dealing with player mutiny, (although he should have backed the manager?) and not withstanding, the constant underhand press comments and unscrupulous dealings of certain player's agents etc. I did and always will blame RP for his handling of the Riordan situation when he went to Celtic, but I agree that if Alan Stubbs gets us to where we want to be soon, the pressure will be on for us to retain him, or more importantly for him,to decide when he takes an offer that should invariably happen. All in All, bringing in an untried young English manager to a club like ours is good for the manager, if he has a modicum of success.

C'mon lets not rewrite, in the division Hibs were in the last decade it would have to have taken a Football naivete or someone on a suicide mission to have put Hibs where Hibs ended up after calderwood/fenlon/butcher because the rest of the division was so weak & skint with crap managers who had nothing in their lockers except they were ex players who had done some sort of SFA course. I dont think you or me or most folk who watch football regularly could have got a club the size of Hibs relegated against the teams who did not have near the same resources,in the ladt few years of mediocrity in the financlal crisis. Of course maybe I am wrong but "(its not gonna happen)" Mr Petrie oversaw a relegation with no huns & -15 poppy thieves & still people like him. OK, but it has to be said that his "football brain" if he wasnt planning for another "great adventure" in the 1st, should be put out gardening further than the hopeless halfwits he last employed for OUR team, not his, the ladt time he was allowed a decision. Shocking tenure from a chairman who should b recognised & remembered as being shocking during the demise of Hibernian FC.

monktonharp
26-11-2015, 12:20 AM
never said I liked him:wink: only pointing out a few important facts. his last 3 managers were a total disaster. the rot really set in, when Calderwood's possible move fell through

Onion
26-11-2015, 01:17 AM
Mowbray inherited a great bunch of youngsters, added in a good mix of experienced players and delivered some of the best football and results seen at ER in decades. Hugely impressive.

Stubbs had a very different challenge - build a football club from the ground up after the most demoralising of seasons. His signings have been 100% spot on, and the way he dealt with the Allan affair was also impressive. It was a huge task that most managers would have shirked.

In football terms, there is only one winner - Mowbray. In the way they've gone about their own respective challenges, both have been impressive. If Stubbs manages Hibs to the title this season, ahead of the Huns, then that will have been even more impressive than anything Mowbray did at ER.

Bad Martini
26-11-2015, 12:19 PM

Didn't saint Tony state he had taken Hibs as far as he could and then promptly pissed off down the road to West Brom a few days before we played the mutants. This says to me he could NOT win the cup.

Source: Tony Mowbray.

Extra brownie points:

Tony Mowbray took over Hibs during May 2004.................West Bromwich Albion appointed Mowbray as their manager on 13 October 2006. He didn't have any chances to win a cup with "his" team in that period between May 2004 and October 2006? :na na:

COLLINS won the cup. FACT. Irrefutable.

ENDOF :na na::na na::na na::na na:

NAE NOOKIE
26-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Didn't saint Tony state he had taken Hibs as far as he could and then promptly pissed off down the road to West Brom a few days before we played the mutants. This says to me he could NOT win the cup.

Source: Tony Mowbray.

Extra brownie points:

Tony Mowbray took over Hibs during May 2004.................West Bromwich Albion appointed Mowbray as their manager on 13 October 2006. He didn't have any chances to win a cup with "his" team in that period between May 2004 and October 2006? :na na:

COLLINS won the cup. FACT. Irrefutable.

ENDOF :na na::na na::na na::na na:

In which case he's also responsible for us losing to Dunfermline in the Scottish cup semi .... for which shootings too good for him :cb

cmcd
26-11-2015, 12:59 PM
In which case he's also responsible for us losing to Dunfermline in the Scottish cup semi .... for which shootings too good for him :cb

Just as well managers don't look at these pages as if they did they would never set foot in ER

Smartie
26-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Stubbs for me.

Mowbray was set up to win and inherited a superb squad that was brimming with talent. He did well, particularly with some of the players that he added but in spite of all of that he still had some horrible results and the less said about the keepers the better.

Stubbs inherited an utter omnishambles of a club. We were arguably worse than we were at the final whistle of the playoff when he took over - Butcher had already started a cull by then and maybe Stubbs would have wanted to work with McPake, Thomson or Taiwo?

He had a credible side very quickly, if not a great one, and set about improving all aspects of the side. Unfortunately our lack of a cutting edge cost us last season but that can't disguise the drastic improvements we made.

This season we have improved further and imo look the real deal.

You can justifiably point out that we've not been in the top league during Stubbs' time at the club. But Hearts last year and Rangers this year have been tough opponents and sides of their quality would never normally be in this division so it is a slightly false position. In the head-to heads with these sides he has done well, as well as when we've faced teams from the league above in the cups.

Unfortunately I think he'll leave for the first decent offer down South but I'd love to see him stay at least until the end of this season and get a massive one over der hun.

yekimevol
27-11-2015, 10:32 AM
My current vote is for mogga, but when alan gets us back in the prem and if we get into europe and stay in the top 6 then ill go for Stubbs !

jacomo
27-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Mowbray was set up to win and inherited a superb squad that was brimming with talent.

You sure about that?

Mowbray inherited a squad after two years of cost-cutting, with most of the high earners gone or on their way.

Yes, the Golden Generation were just breaking through, but were raw.

We were playing percentage-based fitba under Bobby Williamson and it wasn't entertaining.

Mowbray and Venus coached the kids and encouraged them to express themselves. They signed Boozy, Murphy, Shiels and others, made ludicrously positive promises about how we would play attractive, attacking football and, even more ludicrously, started delivering on those promises from the off.

Boozy and Murphy, in particular, were absolutely critical to the way we played that first season. Without Mowbray, they wouldn't have joined Hibs.

Riordan and Brown, in particular, flourished under the new regime, encouraged to express themselves. O'Connor and Thomson had shown more the season before, but undoubtedly improved. Whittaker was trusted at RB and later Fletcher given his opportunity.

A classic bit of Hibs.net revisionism here, I think.

Smartie
27-11-2015, 01:44 PM
You sure about that?

Mowbray inherited a squad after two years of cost-cutting, with most of the high earners gone or on their way.

We were playing percentage-based fitba under Bobby Williamson and it wasn't entertaining.

Mowbray and Venus coached the kids and encouraged them to express themselves. They signed Boozy, Murphy, Shiels and others, made ludicrously positive promises about how we would play attractive, attacking football and, even more ludicrously, started delivering on those promises from the off.

Boozy and Murphy, in particular, were absolutely critical to the way we played that first season. Without Mowbray, they wouldn't have joined Hibs.

Riordan and Brown, in particular, flourished under the new regime, encouraged to express themselves. O'Connor and Thomson had shown more the season before, but undoubtedly improved. Whittaker was trusted at RB and later Fletcher given his opportunity.

Fair points.

But given the choice, as a manager I'd be happy to inherit Riordan, Brown, Thomson, O'Connor, Whittaker and Fletcher any day of the week. Loads to work with and get the best out of. He even had Tam McManus and Grant Brebner who were decent players to choose to get rid of. There's no doubt Mowbray did well and added quality to supplement what was already there (Chris Hogg and Rob Jones probably deserve a mention as well).

But do you not agree that when we are comparing Mowbray and Stubbs it has to be acknowledged that it is reasonable common sense to take these talented players and allow them to express themselves?

Stubbs inherited the likes of James Collins, Michael Nelson, Ryan McGivern, Paul Heffernan, Alex Harris and Paul Cairney. They needed shown the door, not encouraged to express themselves. And in recruiting new players he was doing so from a club that was on it's knees in the First Division about to lock horns with Rangers and Hearts (therefore a big ask to get promoted at the first attempt). Mowbray was inviting players to the Premier League to play with an exciting and talented crop of youngsters.

jacomo
27-11-2015, 02:34 PM

Yes he is. But then, the players switched off after the League Cup win and thought they were already on their holidays.

A similar thing happened to Spurs under Jacques Santini - won their League Cup and then chucked the rest of the season.

Alex Ferguson said that winning was a habit. The proper response to winning a trophy was not to go on a bender and revel in it, but immediately focus on winning the next one.

For clubs starved of recent success, like us (and Spurs), this is a hard habit to acquire.

Andy74
27-11-2015, 08:08 PM
You sure about that?

Agree totally.

Brizo
28-11-2015, 08:05 AM

:agree:

For consistent entertainment and quality football over a prolonged period the Mowbray era was the best since the Tornadoes.

If Stubbs can get us promoted and implement his football philosophy consistently and successfully across the whole of next season then that's the time to make any valid comparison.

There are a lot of similarities between Stubbs and Mowbray in how they want the game played but I think Stubbs has a pragmatic edge about him that Mowbray didn't. That might be the factor that hopefully has me voting for Stubbs if this poll appears again at the end of next season.

Borderhibbie76
28-11-2015, 10:20 AM
Don't agree. ..Collins got us thru a tough semi and the final. ..his Cup imo

[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-11-2015, 10:33 AM

Respect of the fans?

iwasthere1972
28-11-2015, 11:08 AM
Respect of the fans?

Lost that when he did a runner and followed it up by doing the huddle at Easter Road on his return as Celtic manager.

Betty Boop
28-11-2015, 11:38 AM

Hearts and minds.

Holmesdale Hibs
28-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Mowbray for me. Sime great memories and the best I can remember as a Hibs fan.

Stubbs would have to win promotion this year to come close IMO. I like what he's doing though and he's probably the best we've had since TM left.

stantonhibby
28-11-2015, 06:33 PM

Not to forget the Quarter final against them....was his first or second game in charge I think.

Borderhibbie76
28-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Not to forget the Quarter final against them....was his first or second game in charge I think.
Good point...Jones header 1 nil going on 7

theonlywayisup
28-11-2015, 06:44 PM
Who gets your vote.

:flag::flag:

What's this all about? Who gets my vote? Stubbs is here! Mowbray is gone! No brainer!

Let us not forget that Mowbray made some very poor decisions. He got us playing some fantastic football, but we really struggled to break down some teams (i.e. Falkirk, ICT and Killie), Also, how could he play Gary Caldwell as right full back in that game at Hampden (semi final). He lost more games than won against Aberdeen, Hertz, ICT, Celtic, Killie and Rangers. Would we have won the LC with Tony in charge - not sure!!

jacomo
29-11-2015, 09:06 AM

I think DBS was at it.