PDA

View Full Version : If we beat Morton in two weeks' time..

Diclonius
22-11-2015, 09:57 AM
That's a clean sweep of every team in this division over nine games.

Aside from 1998-99 have we ever done that before?

Stanton
22-11-2015, 10:09 AM
A very difficult ....but very key game ...a win will set us up for a great December IMO ....

Hibby Bairn
22-11-2015, 10:28 AM
My very first Hibs game was against Morton. Circa 1973. Won 5-0. The sort of scoreline Hibs should be expecting against a club like Morton every time we play them imo.

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-11-2015, 10:30 AM
Reckon this will be a really tough game. Looking forward to it though

emerald green
22-11-2015, 11:01 AM
My very first Hibs game was against Morton. Circa 1973. Won 5-0. The sort of scoreline Hibs should be expecting against a club like Morton every time we play them imo.

You're entitled to your opinion, but don't be daft.

Do you seriously think it's realistic for Hibs (or any team) to be beating a team sitting only two places behind them in the same league by five goals "every time we play them"? No team does that.

Football's just not like that. Greenock Morton are no Barcelona of course, but they are well organised and will be difficult opponents on their own ground.

Hibby Bairn
22-11-2015, 11:08 AM
You're entitled to your opinion, but don't be daft.

Do you seriously think it's realistic for Hibs (or any team) to be beating a team sitting only two places behind them in the same league by five goals "every time we play them"? No team does that.

Football's just not like that. Greenock Morton are no Barcelona of course, but they are well organised and will be difficult opponents on their own ground.

I'm not being daft mate. Just reflecting on where we are just now v where we should be. A bit like 0-7 v Malmo. We were happy to let our manager carry on after that match. Expectations and standards fell badly.

I think Stubbs has instilled a winning mentality back into our whole club. And I think we should be going to EVERY ground expecting to win. Especially clubs like Morton.

I'll settle for 2 or 3 on this occasion. 😎

hibsitis
22-11-2015, 11:10 AM

Didn't Andy Ritchie miss a penalty?

cmcd
22-11-2015, 11:11 AM
Morton will make things tough for us As with other teams they see us as a scalp We have no Devine right to win any game If we want to win we will have to put the effort in and play well GGTTH

emerald green
22-11-2015, 11:24 AM
I think Stubbs has instilled a winning mentality back into our whole club. And I think we should be going to EVERY ground expecting to win. Especially clubs like Morton.

I'll settle for 2 or 3 on this occasion. 

It's fine going to every ground expecting to win, and I presume you are talking about in the Championship? But in football it doesn't always work that way as anyone who has followed Hibs, or football generally, will surely understand.

It's your comment about expecting Hibs to beat teams like Morton by scorelines of 5-0 "every time we play them" I disagree with though. It's disrespectful to clubs like Morton, and completely unrealistic IMO.

I know you would never hear professionals like Alan Stubbs, for example, coming out with a comment like that. Some fans sometimes get a wee bit carried away at times.

I hope you're right about 2 or 3 (nil)!

Hibby Bairn
22-11-2015, 11:37 AM

Not sure. Was too busy eating my Wagon Wheel. Bought it from the boy walking around the red ash perimeter with the tray around his neck. 👍

Hibby Bairn
22-11-2015, 11:40 AM
It's fine going to every ground expecting to win, and I presume you are talking about in the Championship? But in football it doesn't always work that way as anyone who has followed Hibs, or football generally, will surely understand.

It's your comment about expecting Hibs to beat teams like Morton by scorelines of 5-0 "every time we play them" I disagree with though. It's disrespectful to clubs like Morton, and completely unrealistic IMO.

I know you would never hear professionals like Alan Stubbs, for example, coming out with a comment like that. Some fans sometimes get a wee bit carried away at times.

I hope you're right about 2 or 3 (nil)!

Nah. We need to get back to a bit of arrogance. We are Hibs FFS.

emerald green
22-11-2015, 11:50 AM

Aye OK then. Good luck with beating them 5-0 every time we play them. That would be great, but it's never happened since the clubs were formed, but hey ho you never know. :rolleyes:

You never said if you meant winning every game in the Championship. I assume that's what you meant?

I prefer the term playing with confidence, rather than arrogance. Arrogance is something I associate with clubs like Celtic and The Rangers and their supporters.

jgl07
22-11-2015, 11:54 AM
Unless I am mistaken, the last time Hibs played Morton they lost in a League Cup tie at Easter Road.

Hibs first match in Division One after relegation in 1998 was away to Morton and they made very hard work of winning it 1-0 with a late goal.

Sir David Gray
22-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Morton have won their last three home league games without conceding a goal so i'm not expecting a cricket score.

A repeat of yesterday's result will do me just fine.

lord bunberry
22-11-2015, 12:09 PM
Unless I am mistaken, the last time Hibs played Morton they lost in a League Cup tie at Easter Road.

Hibs first match in Division One after relegation in 1998 was away to Morton and they made very hard work of winning it 1-0 with a late goal.
We beat them earlier this season at Easter Road.

kaimendhibs
22-11-2015, 12:22 PM

I think that was in the Isaac Revyik game iirc

Tom Hart RIP
22-11-2015, 12:23 PM

Basher last minute. I took my son. First time on a terracing for him. Before the game he went to the toilet and came out asking where he could wSh his hands. I told him Edinburgh.

Iggy Pope
22-11-2015, 01:12 PM
Basher last minute. I took my son. First time on a terracing for him. Before the game he went to the toilet and came out asking where he could wSh his hands. I told him Edinburgh.

:greengrin
First time me and my mate Stevie visited Cappielow would be about 76/77.
There was a dead dog lying in the street outside the Atlantic (?) bar. It was a big dug as well.
I also recall a visit early 80s, think the pub was called the Ladybird. Sat watching an old boy devouring a paper bag full of buckies. "Poor man's oyster son, poor man's oyster"
Cant wait for this game.We didn't beat them 5-0 on either occasion though.

Radium
22-11-2015, 01:21 PM

Missed one at Easter Road. Recollection it went over the cowshed.

cabbageandribs1875
22-11-2015, 01:22 PM
31 years last time Moton beat us in a league game (0-4) at ER, got them back in 85 winning 5-1, clubs didn't get killed back then

they did beat us 4-3 in the LC at ER 7 years ago

Holmesdale Hibs
22-11-2015, 01:35 PM

Mine too but it was in the 80s. Andy Gorum scored for Hibs that day and think we won 3-1.

MWHIBBIES
22-11-2015, 02:01 PM
I'm not being daft mate. Just reflecting on where we are just now v where we should be. A bit like 0-7 v Malmo. We were happy to let our manager carry on after that match. Expectations and standards fell badly.

I'll settle for 2 or 3 on this occasion. We were also happy to let our manager continue after losing 6-2 to Rangers. Standards fall badly there too or are people just able to look past 1 result?

MWHIBBIES
22-11-2015, 02:03 PM
Nah. We need to get back to a bit of arrogance. We are Hibs FFS.Yes exactly, we are Hibs. We have no right to beat anyone and 1-0 with a scrappy own goal will do me just fine.

davidw
22-11-2015, 02:06 PM

Slightly off topic, but why is there no game next week?

HH81
22-11-2015, 02:07 PM
Slightly off topic, but why is there no game next week?

Cup.

Would we have not been better playing QOTS away rather than a cold evening game? Bigger crowd for them etc

Stanton
22-11-2015, 02:12 PM
First time me and my mate Stevie visited Cappielow would be about 76/77.
There was a dead dog lying in the street outside the Atlantic (?) bar. It was a big dug as well.
I also recall a visit early 80s, think the pub was called the Ladybird. Sat watching an old boy devouring a paper bag full of buckies. "Poor man's oyster son, poor man's oyster"
Cant wait for this game.We didn't beat them 5-0 on either occasion though.
The Ladyburn Bar ....don't think it's there anymore :rolleyes:
when we go to greenock we come in from the east ...and Cappielow is in the east end of the town so we barely enter Greenock .....if you drive on past Cappielow fir another 10 mins you come to the town centre where there are lots of boozers and clubs ....but football visitors seldom venture beyond Cappieliw which is right on the eastern periphery of the town :cb

BOB MARLEYS DUG
22-11-2015, 02:42 PM
If we beat Morton could we see a bumper crowd for the Falkrik game?

hibs0666
22-11-2015, 03:30 PM
when we go to greenock we come in from the east ...and Cappielow is in the east end of the town so we barely enter Greenock .....if you drive on past Cappielow fir another 10 mins you come to the town centre where there are lots of boozers and clubs ....but football visitors seldom venture beyond Cappieliw which is right on the eastern periphery of the town :cb

What boozers are worth a visit?

lyonhibs
22-11-2015, 03:31 PM

Without wishing to sound too yammish, in the last 30 years say, the supporting lifetime of a lot of our fans, what about us being Hibs gives us reason to be arrogant?

The above assumes we all understand the difference between confidence and arrogance.

Waxy
22-11-2015, 03:32 PM
Sure it was against Morton Andy Goram scored.Had a great view of it from the cooshed.

Stanton
22-11-2015, 03:57 PM
What boozers are worth a visit?

In Greenock I would say the James Watt Bar ( a large wetherspoons place ) , the Old Bank Bar , the Lighthouse Bar , all 3 of these are just outside Greenock Central station......which is one stop ( about 3 minutes ) further on than Cartsdyke Station ( nearest station to Cappielow ) .where we would normally get off for the game .....if arriving in Greenock early I would recommend staying on one more stop as there is nothing much around the Cappielow area

hibsitis
22-11-2015, 04:40 PM

That's the one I remember! Great player which made it all the sweeter.

Hibee87
22-11-2015, 04:45 PM

Nice stat, and other than rangers, do we not have a home game v arguably the better sides i.e falkirk, raith qos in the next round of fixtures

Thecat23
22-11-2015, 04:46 PM
Sure it was against Morton Andy Goram scored.Had a great view of it from the cooshed.

It was, I was a special guest that day and was shown round the pitch and had a couple of shots into the away end. Mickey Weir was my fav player then and it was him who took me round.

Was a great day all round!

Ronster117
22-11-2015, 07:02 PM
Think it went over Athur seat. :agree:

hibs0666
22-11-2015, 07:31 PM
In Greenock I would say the James Watt Bar ( a large wetherspoons place ) , the Old Bank Bar , the Lighthouse Bar , all 3 of these are just outside Greenock Central station......which is one stop ( about 3 minutes ) further on than Cartsdyke Station ( nearest station to Cappielow ) .where we would normally get off for the game .....if arriving in Greenock early I would recommend staying on one more stop as there is nothing much around the Cappielow area

Cheers mate. :thumbsup:

PatHead
22-11-2015, 09:00 PM
Well who was better - Andy Ritchie or Fat Ally McLeod?

Sir David Gray
22-11-2015, 10:16 PM
If we beat Morton could we see a bumper crowd for the Falkrik game?

I doubt it.

We will probably have a higher than average crowd for that game, due to Falkirk bringing through a decent amount of fans, but I would be surprised if we got any higher than 10,000.

Iggy Pope
23-11-2015, 03:50 PM

Did a couple of jobs fairly recently in the town centre and its different from the East end of the town right enough.
The Ladyburn it was. And you're right. Its not there any more.

SanFranHibs
23-11-2015, 05:34 PM
To start the 'Massive Game For Us' thread.

:wink:

anon1875
23-11-2015, 07:44 PM
Will be taking my 10 month son to his first game that day weather permitting.

monktonharp
23-11-2015, 07:46 PM
To start the 'Massive Game For Us' thread.

:wink:not sure, but you have a head start, if you are doing it now:wink::wink:

portycabbage
23-11-2015, 08:10 PM

Scott Bannerman fed Basher and he spun and shot low just inside the near post IIRC. Looked up Bannerman - he made 2 starts and 14 sub appearances for Hibs, and never lost once!

My mate nearly killed us on the way home as he swerved to avoid a black bin-bag on the motorway which he claimed was a fox.

weecounty hibby
23-11-2015, 09:56 PM
Well who was better - Andy Ritchie or Fat Ally McLeod?

No contest. Ally was magnificent in his ability and skill levels. So was Ritchie but Ally wins as he played in the famous green and white of Hibernian. Not sure but I would think that Ally scored more goals at a higher level.

AK86
23-11-2015, 10:02 PM
Wow!!! My first hibs game around this time was 5-0 against Morton. It was 0-0 at half time. Same game??

Sir David Gray
23-11-2015, 10:11 PM
Wow!!! My first hibs game around this time was 5-0 against Morton. It was 0-0 at half time. Same game??

We beat Morton 5-0 on three different occasions in the space of about six years in the late 60s and early 70s.

SausageSurprise
24-11-2015, 06:15 AM
Is the wee chippy still there? Last time we played there I think it was against Clydebank in a cup replay, iirc Paul Hartley cleared it off the Bankies line

Scouse Hibee
24-11-2015, 06:38 AM

Haha love your totally unrealistic view of what Hibs should be achieving every week. Nice thought maybe on a Football Manager game but not in the real world of football, but of course you know that as well as I do :-)

AndyM_1875
24-11-2015, 07:38 AM
Anyone who watched Morton play St Mirren will have seen what a decent hard working team they are. They may have little in terms of resources but they have loads of spirit and are well organized by Duff Jimmy. On Friday they kept going and got a deserved equalizer at the end.

We will have to play well to get the result at Cappielow which will invariably be a typical winter day in Greenock, freezing cold and pishing rain, so we better be up for it.

Older Hibbies who remember the 98/99 season will know that this is now the crucial part of the season where teams break away and go on long winning runs which leaves them way ahead come March/April.

oneone73
24-11-2015, 07:47 AM
Anyone who watched Morton play St Mirren will have seen what a decent hard working team they are. They may have little in terms of resources but they have loads of spirit and are well organized by Duff Jimmy. On Friday they kept going and got a deserved equalizer at the end.

We will have to play well to get the result at Cappielow which will invariably be a typical winter day in Greenock, freezing cold and pishing rain, so we better be up for it.

Older Hibbies who remember the 98/99 season will know that this is now the crucial part of the season where teams break away and go on long winning runs which leaves them way ahead come March/April.

This. 100 per cent.

erin go bragh
24-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Will be taking my 10 month son to his first game that day weather permitting.

Why ? Unless that's part of the deal you have made with your Mrs ,for you to go :greengrin. Its challenging enough when they are toddlers but 10 month old :cb

JeMeSouviens
24-11-2015, 11:57 AM

Things you thought you'd never read ...

Ronniekirk
24-11-2015, 12:35 PM

Only watched the last 15 minutes of both halfs of the game. But Morton were by far the better side and it was a well worked equaliser
It will be another game where if we can come away with a victory of any kind I will be more than happy
We are now the scalp to take and every team will want to be the fist one to end our winning run so we need to keep digging in ,but they will make a game of it and looking forward to it after missing Alloa game

YehButNoBut
24-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Think it will help us if they have a go at us. Hopefully they do as I'm confident we will score a couple and win 2 - 1.

monktonharp
24-11-2015, 07:24 PM
We have got to expect the home team to make a fight of it, but also we do expect our team to play the game they are good at. This game will be played on grass, whereas the last game was more like glass. some of the passing looked as if it was too hard, too long etc but the surface must have affected a lot of the passing. the almost freezing conditions could have added to the surface condition too.