PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs

Onion
21-11-2015, 10:47 PM
Think he deserves a thread for getting us onto level terms with Sevco, when many of us thought just a few weeks ago we were chasing a PO place. Stubbs not only deserves credit for the way he dragged this club up by the boot laces after Butcher, but many previous Hibs managers would have chucked in the towel after the Huns unbeaten start and 11 point lead. This guy is made of different stuff. :aok:

Scott Allan Key
21-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Credit where it is due. It has taken someone who has beaten cancer to heal the club from its woes. A remarkable positive person in any capacity was needed and we're lucky to have such capable people at our club.

PatHead
21-11-2015, 10:53 PM
Have liked him from day 1.

Really has developed as a manager and will take us to the Premiership.

iwasthere1972
21-11-2015, 10:54 PM
Championship Manager of the month for November?

jacomo
21-11-2015, 11:10 PM
He deserves massive plaudits, but they still have a game in hand over us. We're not on level terms yet.

Thecat23
21-11-2015, 11:21 PM
Many on here were/are saying they will wait till the seasons over before judging him. For me, he the best manager we had since Mowbray.

He came in when the club was on its knees. Something like only 8 players were signed and he's had a huge rebuilding job. Bigger than Fenlon and Butcher.

Forget the utter dross from the past, calderwood, Fenlon, Butcher all who's football was terrible to watch. Stubbs has us playing good football along with grinding out results when needed.

This man has set the foundations for future managers who come in to replace him when he's gone.

This is one Hibs fan who is very thankful for bringing my love of watching Hibs back, and not fearing a sat afternoon!

Thecat23
21-11-2015, 11:23 PM
He deserves massive plaudits, but they still have a game in hand over us. We're not on level terms yet.

We are on level terms. Only if they win that game will it be different. Until then Hibs are joint top!

Bronson
21-11-2015, 11:28 PM
I saw earlier on that Stubbs now has a 0.9% better win ratio than Jock Stein and is statistically our best manager EVER.

Got to take into consideration the level we are playing at, obviously, but that certainly makes for enjoyable reading.

Thecat23
21-11-2015, 11:35 PM
I saw earlier on that Stubbs now has a 0.9% better win ratio than Jock Stein and is statistically our best manager EVER.

Got to take into consideration the level we are playing at, obviously, but that certainly makes for enjoyable reading.

I honestly think we'd be flying in the Prem as well. The ***** in that league isn't far off the one we're in.

Green Reaper
21-11-2015, 11:41 PM

Games in hand don't count for **** until you've played them

Green Reaper
21-11-2015, 11:43 PM
I honestly think we'd be flying in the Prem as well. The ***** in that league isn't far off the one we're in.

As we have proven on more than one occasion this season

Sir David Gray
22-11-2015, 12:45 AM

Tha Cabbage Kid
22-11-2015, 07:01 AM
Many on here were/are saying they will wait till the seasons over before judging him. For me, he the best manager we had since Mowbray.

He came in when the club was on its knees. Something like only 8 players were signed and he's had a huge rebuilding job. Bigger than Fenlon and Butcher.

Forget the utter dross from the past, calderwood, Fenlon, Butcher all who's football was terrible to watch. Stubbs has us playing good football along with grinding out results when needed.

This man has set the foundations for future managers who come in to replace him when he's gone.

This is one Hibs fan who is very thankful for bringing my love of watching Hibs back, and not fearing a sat afternoon!
Mowbray started with some of the best youth we ever had. Stubsy started with NOTHING. He's the best manager since McLeish.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Mark79
22-11-2015, 07:07 AM
What's stubbs contract situation? Vultures will circle soon.

McKenzie
22-11-2015, 07:26 AM
Absolutely love the guy. As long as he gets us up, it's inevitable that he will go to a bigger club down south. I'll just enjoy it while he's here

lord bunberry
22-11-2015, 07:27 AM
What's stubbs contract situation? Vultures will circle soon.
He signed a new deal at the start of the season, I think it was for 2 years.

bigwheel
22-11-2015, 07:31 AM

I agree with this completely...and if he takes us up from what he started with, then he will be our best since Turnbull in my opinion...

What is the most impressive is how quickly he has developed as a manager...it was clear he was a bit raw when he got the job...now he looks assured and highly skilled in his role...I could see him being an EPL manager in the future...let's hope he enjoys a few more years with us first...he is our first manager in years who can affect a game after its started with formation and subs....

Quality manager

CorrieHibs
22-11-2015, 07:35 AM
Mowbray started with some of the best youth we ever had. Stubsy started with NOTHING. He's the best manager since McLeish.

Yeah I agree with that. Mcleish was better than Mowbray. I feel Mowbray should of done better with the team he inherited.

Stubbs is doing a great job. As someone said earlier he can grind out results. Always has a plan B if Plan A doesn't work.

Pretty Boy
22-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Yeah I agree with that. Mcleish was better than Mowbray. I feel Mowbray should of done better with the team he inherited.

Stubbs is doing a great job. As someone said earlier he can grind out results. Always has a plan B if Plan A doesn't work.

Harsh on Mowbray imo. He inherited some talented youngsters but ultimately a team who had finished 8th the season before. We had no senior goalkeeper and he had to give Alan Reid a 3 month deal to get a full side on the park for an Intertoto cup tie.

He also added the likes of Boozy, Shiels, Murphy, Sproule and Hogg. To finish 3rd in his 1st season was a hell of an achievement imo and in following years he had to deal with a strong Rangers and Celtic as well as Hearts at the very height of their financial doping.

Mowbray done a very good job at Hibs, as Stubbs is doing now. Both are incomparable to McLeish who had a budget the others could only dream of.

rcarter1
22-11-2015, 08:15 AM

Stubbs could be heading to be our best manager of my Hibs supporting life time (I kicked off with Alex Miller) IMO. Long way to go however, dealing with the pressure of being in a title race will test him and the players for sure. The Semi Final will also be an indicator of where we are. Aberdeen weren't up for it when we played them, Utd are pants, but the Saints look a decent team. Cant wait! :flag:

Andy74
22-11-2015, 09:01 AM

I do agree with most of that but the rebuilding job will be complete when we are challenging for 2nd or 3rd in the top league because to be fair to the other managers mentioned that is what they were being judged against.

The good football helps of course but we are yet to see if that could be done consistently in the league above.

You could also say that signing a whole new team is easier for a manager than having to live with a team full of rubbish players under contract!

Arch Stanton
22-11-2015, 09:29 AM

Mowbray done a very good job at Hibs, as Stubbs is doing now. Both are incomparable to McLeish who had a budget the others could only dream of.

I agree with that. For me McLeish's legacy was an impoverished set-up that BW struggled to live with (neatly sidestepping Sauzee here!).

Mowbray had the ability and sense to develop a team based on his young players. Stubbs had a bigger budget but excelled at using it to the full. Difficult to compare the two to be honest, bit it's Stubbs for me.

Arch Stanton
22-11-2015, 09:34 AM
I do agree with most of that but the rebuilding job will be complete when we are challenging for 2nd or 3rd in the top league because to be fair to the other managers mentioned that is what they were being judged against.

The good football helps of course but we are yet to see if that could be done consistently in the league above.

You could also say that signing a whole new team is easier for a manager than having to live with a team full of rubbish players under contract!

I can think of one or two managers who would manage to build a a whole new team full of rubbish players.

Andy74
22-11-2015, 09:36 AM
I can think of one or two managers who would manage to build a a whole new team full of rubbish players.

Probably true! :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
22-11-2015, 09:44 AM
Now once again i will be labeled a doom and gloomer, but ANY manager who's in charge of Hibs should be able to put together a Hibs side to challenge for the title in this league.

I like what he's doing, i like what he says and how he comes across, and i like the kind of players he's signed. I will be a lot more impressed if and when we get up and are regularly challenging at the right end of the top division.

Alex Trager
22-11-2015, 10:08 AM
We are on level terms. Only if they win that game will it be different. Until then Hibs are joint top!

This is more a personal thing for you mate.

Have you texted Kenny?

Maybe even just with this ' :) '

Super_JMcGinn
22-11-2015, 10:11 AM
Now once again i will be labeled a doom and gloomer, but ANY manager who's in charge of Hibs should be able to put together a Hibs side to challenge for the title in this league.

I like what he's doing, i like what he says and how he comes across, and i like the kind of players he's signed. I will be a lot more impressed if and when we get up and are regularly challenging at the right end of the top division.

A rather over simplistic summary if you ask me. Your statement would be true if a team the size of Rangers wasn't in our division. I feel you are being rather harsh on Stubbsy with that opinion.:wink:

blackpoolhibs
22-11-2015, 10:32 AM
A rather over simplistic summary if you ask me. Your statement would be true if a team the size of Rangers wasn't in our division. I feel you are being rather harsh on Stubbsy with that opinion.:wink:

Perhaps you are right and it is a little simplistic, but sevco are nothing special, and let's be perfectly honest here. If we were 10 points behind sevco he'd be getting quite a bit of stick and rightly so in my opinion.

So credit where its due, he's doing exactly what most of us expect from him and putting us in a position to challenge for the title.

Where he's excelling is with the cup results, and he deserves a lot of credit for those.

Personally when we are challenging in the SPL for Europe, that's when i will finally think this nightmare is over.

Hopefully Stubbs will be the man to do this.

StevieBoyKdy
22-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Has his family moved up. Would like to see him here for a few good years. Give him the contract best manager and unity within the team in years. Credit also must go to dempster for the restructure of the club. Big change and imo this has clearly helped the manager totally focus on football alone.

matty_f
22-11-2015, 10:40 AM

I don't think you'll be called a doom and gloomer for that post, it's correct imho. Hibs should be, in any 'normal' season (without The Rangers, or in last season's case, The Rangers & the Yams) top of the league.

As it is, to be challenging The Rangers as closely as we are, with the gulf in resources available is fantastic. We shoukd expect to finish second based on resource.

emerald green
22-11-2015, 11:11 AM
Perhaps you are right and it is a little simplistic, but sevco are nothing special, and let's be perfectly honest here. If we were 10 points behind sevco he'd be getting quite a bit of stick and rightly so in my opinion.

So credit where its due, he's doing exactly what most of us expect from him and putting us in a position to challenge for the title.

Where he's excelling is with the cup results, and he deserves a lot of credit for those.

Personally when we are challenging in the SPL for Europe, that's when i will finally think this nightmare is over.

Hopefully Stubbs will be the man to do this.

:agree: Particularly the bits in bold, although I would be delighted and relieved just to get promotion first.

Challenging for a place in Europe can come later as part of the re-building of our club.

Onion
22-11-2015, 11:39 AM
Absolutely love the guy. As long as he gets us up, it's inevitable that he will go to a bigger club down south. I'll just enjoy it while he's here

If we win this league, from the position we were in, IMO it would be the most remarkable season since the Turnbull era. And the decision not to sell Allan to Sevco will have been a masterstroke.

NAE NOOKIE
22-11-2015, 12:14 PM
If there is a new manager in the UK whose stock is rising faster than Alan Stubbs they must be doing a hell of a job. He has taken a car crash and turned it around in an incredibly short time, and not just that, he is learning and you can see it happening. When put up against managers with similar or better resources than he has, his success rate is impressive.

He still has his work cut out to finish top. The Huns are considerably better than they were last season and the truth is that they were beaten at ER by super tactics that made them play the game in front of us, which nullified the attacking threat of Wallace and Tavernier but still left us room to attack.

The report card on AS at this stage is as good as it possibly could be IMO. Well done mate :aok:

Northernhibee
22-11-2015, 07:07 PM
If you look at St Mirren it's clear how difficult it is to do well after being relegated from the top flight. For us to finish 2nd last year was a good job, this year to be W14 D1 in our last fifteen games is outstanding.

22-11-2015, 07:21 PM

This 100%. He's done an incrediable job.

oneone73
22-11-2015, 07:28 PM
This 100%. He's done an incrediable job.

Am I right in thinking that of Saturday's starting 11, only Stevenson and Cummings weren't signed by Stubbs? Says a lot.

Sir David Gray
22-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Am I right in thinking that of Saturday's starting 11, only Stevenson and Cummings weren't signed by Stubbs? Says a lot.

Yes that is correct.

He signed all of the substitutes from yesterday's match as well, with the exception of Jordon Forster.

CRAZYHIBBY
22-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Allan akbar

PatHead
22-11-2015, 08:06 PM
:agree: Particularly the bits in bold, although I would be delighted and relieved just to get promotion first.

Challenging for a place in Europe can come later as part of the re-building of our club.

I think we will be doing this next year at this time. From matches I have seen on the telly there is not a massive gap.