PDA

View Full Version : £18 to watch Alloa every couple of weeks

iwasthere1972
21-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Makes our £22 a pop to watch the mighty Hibees look like a steal. :agree:

Far too cheap in my opinion. :devil:

Seveno
21-11-2015, 07:12 PM
Nice view of the Ochils from the Indodril Stadium.

Baldy Foghorn
21-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Best Gazebo in the game...........

iwasthere1972
21-11-2015, 07:17 PM
Best Gazebo in the game...........

Cold but at least it was dry. :aok:

Baldy Foghorn
21-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Cold but at least it was dry. :aok:

Hope it is dry at Cappielow:worried:

SuperAllyMcleod
21-11-2015, 07:32 PM
I'm sure it was only £16 for home fans but I may be wrong. It was nice to be able to stand on the terrace though.

Sir David Gray
21-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Utter *****hole, it's a joke that they charge people £18 to watch football in that place.

It should be no more than £10.

Sergey
21-11-2015, 07:51 PM
Utter *****hole, it's a joke that they charge people £18 to watch football in that place.

£10 is what you pay for entry in the Pub Leagues in England. £1 for U16's

Smartie
21-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Yes, it seemed steep and it is a hovel but there is a lot of interest in the game and they know they can make a few quid out of the big travelling support so why shouldn't they?

By all accounts Alloa are a good, progressive community club and are making great progress whilst other clubs in the Scottish League stutter.

I hope they take the money, use it to improve their facilities and keep building their club.

And not spend it on wages for the likes of Michael Chopra.

Carheenlea
21-11-2015, 08:22 PM

Am I right in saying I saw you by corner flag next to emergency gate for first half?
The ground is a relic alright, and when I moved behind the goals for second half the terracing there didn't really offer much of a view at all, unless you were over 6' tall! There is some old world charm about the place, but I wouldn't really want to watch football there too often to be fair.

Sir David Gray
21-11-2015, 09:28 PM

Teams in the pub leagues in England probably play at better grounds than Alloa.

Am I right in saying I saw you by corner flag next to emergency gate for first half?
The ground is a relic alright, and when I moved behind the goals for second half the terracing there didn't really offer much of a view at all, unless you were over 6' tall! There is some old world charm about the place, but I wouldn't really want to watch football there too often to be fair.

Yes that would have been me, I was initially told to go in over the other side of the ground but didn't fancy sitting in the Alloa end.

Carheenlea
21-11-2015, 09:36 PM

Yes that would have been me, I was initially told to go in over the other side of the ground but didn't fancy sitting in the Alloa end.

I didn't see many vantage points for you in our end, but understandable that you would want to watch game in amongst your fellow fans.

Sir David Gray
21-11-2015, 09:41 PM
I didn't see many vantage points for you in our end, but understandable that you would want to watch game in amongst your fellow fans.

It's pretty poor to say the least but I think it's ridiculous, in 2015, to expect disabled supporters to accept sitting with opposition fans.

I think they put those in wheelchairs in a wee bit by themselves so I don't think it was quite as bad as it could have been but still not something that should be happening in this day and age.

Bronson
21-11-2015, 09:59 PM
It's bad but it's not quite Central Park.

Can't see me rushing back there, anyone who was there in the rain last season will understand. Traumatising stuff.

Sir David Gray
21-11-2015, 10:09 PM

Can't see me rushing back there, anyone who was there in the rain last season will understand. Traumatising stuff.

:agree: That was probably the wettest I have ever been at a football match.

I was soaked right through to my skin.

It is slightly better than Central Park, I would agree with that.

silverhibee
21-11-2015, 10:13 PM
Yes, it seemed steep and it is a hovel but there is a lot of interest in the game and they know they can make a few quid out of the big travelling support so why shouldn't they?

By all accounts Alloa are a good, progressive community club and are making great progress whilst other clubs in the Scottish League stutter.

I hope they take the money, use it to improve their facilities and keep building their club.

And not spend it on wages for the likes of Michael Chopra.

£1k p/w :shocked:

lucky
21-11-2015, 10:19 PM
The food was cheap and edible go the wasps

LancashireHibby
21-11-2015, 11:18 PM

I only made it to the game just before half time because of issues on the trains. My coat was still damp when I was back in Leigh having a beer at 11pm.

kaimendhibs
21-11-2015, 11:41 PM

Vowed never to go back there!

Scott Allan Key
21-11-2015, 11:47 PM
It's pretty poor to say the least but I think it's ridiculous, in 2015, to expect disabled supporters to accept sitting with opposition fans.

I think they put those in wheelchairs in a wee bit by themselves so I don't think it was quite as bad as it could have been but still not something that should be happening in this day and age.

That's a poor show for wheelchair users. I'm interested as to know which clubs (who can afford to comply with legislation) best serve the wheelchair attendees home and away ( i.e. view, availability, facilties, etc). I can imagine it might not be much greater in many SPL grounds.

Sir David Gray
22-11-2015, 01:54 AM
That's a poor show for wheelchair users. I'm interested as to know which clubs (who can afford to comply with legislation) best serve the wheelchair attendees home and away ( i.e. view, availability, facilties, etc). I can imagine it might not be much greater in many SPL grounds.

I have been to the majority of grounds in Scotland and I would say the best are;

Hibs
Dunfermline
Sevco
Hearts

The reason being that all of those clubs have wheelchair sections in an elevated part of the stadium which makes such a difference to the view of the game.

The ones which are particularly bad are;

Dundee Utd
Motherwell
Cowdenbeath
Alloa

The facilities at all of those grounds are a joke.

Most of the others are no more than barely adequate and because the wheelchair sections are usually down the front and behind a goal, the view of the game is severely restricted.

I cannot imagine how someone in a wheelchair would get on in attending matches in League One or League Two every week. That must be murder.

Tinribs
22-11-2015, 02:07 AM
I have been to the majority of grounds in Scotland and I would say the best are;

Hibs
Dunfermline
Sevco
Hearts

The reason being that all of those clubs have wheelchair sections in an elevated part of the stadium which makes such a difference to the view of the game.

The ones which are particularly bad are;

Dundee Utd
Motherwell
Cowdenbeath
Alloa

The facilities at all of those grounds are a joke.

Most of the others are no more than barely adequate and because the wheelchair sections are usually down the front and behind a goal, the view of the game is severely restricted.

I cannot imagine how someone in a wheelchair would get on in attending matches in League One or League Two every week. That must be murder.

The ones at the top are pretty much as i would have expected, but the likes of Dundee Utd not being cool to chair users is pretty ****ed up tbh.

Sir David Gray
22-11-2015, 02:19 AM
The ones at the top are pretty much as i would have expected, but the likes of Dundee Utd not being cool to chair users is pretty ****ed up tbh.

Tannadice is awful, certainly for away fans. I don't know if the home end is any better.

They used to put us in the corner between the two sets of fans, right behind the corner flag where all the subs, police, stewards and camera men used to congregate so you couldn't see a thing for large parts of the game and to get into the ground I hate to push myself up an extremely steep incline. Going back down wasn't much fun either.

Then they placed us in the stand behind the goal on my last visit there a couple of seasons ago and I was right at the back of the stand. I sat there a number of years ago and because they put a lot of other Hibs fans in that stand, I couldn't see when things were happening around the goalmouths because people were standing up in front of me.

To get to that stand also involved pushing up a massive incline.

I wrote a letter of complaint to Stephen Thompson a few years back and I got a reply basically saying that their independent review into facilities for disabled supporters at Tannadice found that it was "more than adequate".

It would have been interesting to see how he would have negotiated the steep inclines I was referring to earlier in a wheelchair.

Smartie
22-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Tannadice is awful, certainly for away fans. I don't know if the home end is any better.

They used to put us in the corner between the two sets of fans, right behind the corner flag where all the subs, police, stewards and camera men used to congregate so you couldn't see a thing for large parts of the game and to get into the ground I hate to push myself up an extremely steep incline. Going back down wasn't much fun either.

Then they placed us in the stand behind the goal on my last visit there a couple of seasons ago and I was right at the back of the stand. I sat there a number of years ago and because they put a lot of other Hibs fans in that stand, I couldn't see when things were happening around the goalmouths because people were standing up in front of me.

To get to that stand also involved pushing up a massive incline.

I wrote a letter of complaint to Stephen Thompson a few years back and I got a reply basically saying that their independent review into facilities for disabled supporters at Tannadice found that it was "more than adequate".

It would have been interesting to see how he would have negotiated the steep inclines I was referring to earlier in a wheelchair.

Any idea what our facilities at Easter Road are like for disabled away fans?

PISTOL1875
22-11-2015, 11:20 AM
No wonder , you should see how Michael Chopra is costing them.....

O'Rourke3
22-11-2015, 11:28 AM
Any idea what our facilities at Easter Road are like for disabled away fans?

Biggish section in the South. No idea how accessible it is though, imagine the same as our own wheelchair users in the East. Not sure if there is a lift to top deck.

Pretty Boy
22-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Biggish section in the South. No idea how accessible it is though, imagine the same as our own wheelchair users in the East. Not sure if there is a lift to top deck.

There is a lift in the South.

weecounty hibby
22-11-2015, 07:09 PM
While I agree that the disabled facilities are unacceptable I feel that most folk are being a bit unfair to Alloa. They are a very small club with probably a home support of no more than 400/500. They have improved the recs over the last few years and anyone who remembers the old ground will know that it has improved out of sight from the old wooden stand and sloped cinder terracing with no steps. Yes it is light years behind Easter Road and most other grounds of the big clubs but they have no money to spare and are certainly trying. They also do fantastic work in the community with youth football and that is where most of their cash goes to.
Every time we play in Alloa I see the words dump, ****hole etc being used not just for the recs but for the town itself, it's a bit cringey and pisses me off as I'm sure not everyone who says that lives in Colinton or the New Town. I love Edinburgh but their are some crappy places in the city as well so really folks give it a rest. It happens at other places too, Cowdenbeath being one in particular from last season, we almost sound like arrogant huns when we start that crap.
I am an Alloa boy born and bred and like most small industrial towns Alloa has been on the decline since Thatchers government decided that actually making things in this country wasn't necessary. It is a real shame to see the town as it is now from where it used to be a lively vibrant wee town with lots of town centre shops, bars and clubs. We have swapped large manufacturing facilities,Weir pumps with 5000 employees at one point, Patons with 2000, 3 distilleries and seven breweries, coal mines around us, paying decent wages to skilled workers for a Morrisons, Tesco, Asda, Lidl, Aldi and now a McDonalds and KFC.
Anyway rant over I'm glad we beat them. GGTTH:flag:

Famous Fiver
22-11-2015, 07:19 PM
and they have a very decent half marathon!!!

iwasthere1972
22-11-2015, 07:25 PM
My posting wasn't dissing the ground or the town of Alloa but their team. Their league placing doesn't lie. I really would struggle to justify paying £18, even £10 would seem overpriced, to watch that every couple of weeks.

Now on to the ground :greengrin.

I sat in the seated stand for the first half but found that there wasn't much leg or bum room and was right behind one of the gazebo posts so my view was blocked, particularly the goals to which Hibs were shooting at. In the second half I moved to behind the goals right at the back. I'm about six foot tall and even I struggled to see much of the goals that we were attacking. Even worse for the guy who was next to me. He was quite a bit smaller than me and I would imagine that he had trouble seeing the floodlights. :greengrin

All in all it was a good day out and I would certainly go again. Hopefully we will get out this league and then I won't have to.

That's me done.

HappyHanlon
22-11-2015, 07:25 PM
Thank **** we're getting out this league.

Pish grounds in hun filled hovels.

All Butcher's fault.

CyberSauzee
22-11-2015, 07:33 PM

They do.

Was at the game back in March when Scott Allen scored. That terracing - or should I just say mud bank - behind the goal at the far end would rule out Alloa getting into the National League North/South. It might even rule them out of Regional Pub League football in England.

Haymaker
22-11-2015, 07:58 PM

£10!! What pub league are you watching G?

Sir David Gray
22-11-2015, 08:46 PM

I don't think it's all that big to be honest. I sat up there whilst the new West Stand was being built back in 2001 and, from memory, I think there's only room for about four or five people in wheelchairs.

Most fans in wheelchairs are situated down the bottom, which will be crap as I know from personal experience, as I am down at that area of most grounds I visit as an away fan and you can't see very much at all.

You will have access to toilet facilities and food kiosks etc on your own though which is more than can be said for a lot of grounds in Scotland.