PDA

View Full Version : Souness

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2015, 05:13 PM
I see he's been rushed into hospital with heart trouble.

Scorrie
21-11-2015, 05:18 PM
He's had previous with this. Got a bypass operation around 20 years ago I think

greenlex
21-11-2015, 05:18 PM
I see he's been rushed into hospital with heart trouble.
Must have seen the Huns result. Hope its nothing too serious.

WoreTheGreen
21-11-2015, 05:22 PM
My dad worked with hjs dad might have been a hun but what a great for scotland and liverpool. Against "butch wilkins" at wembley bullied like a small kid. Hope he gets better

Stantons Angel
21-11-2015, 05:23 PM
i think he had a tripIe by pass when he was 38rs oid

Scottie
21-11-2015, 05:29 PM
Lucky to have met him once and seemed like a very nice guy. Best of health to him. :aok:

bigwheel
21-11-2015, 05:31 PM
Good football man. Wish him all the best

Sergey
21-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Good football man. Wish him all the best

The guy was a complete thug and put many players out of the game.

His debut for Rangers at ER will forever live in my memory.

MrSmith
21-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Never a Hun! His brother had a wee newsagents next to Mathers on Broughton st. This was about 1984 if I recall correctly. Gordon Souness, very like Graeme but think older? In the shop, I frequented regularly was a picture at that time, of Souness with the Hearts team. Gordon treasured it as it was the only picture of his brother taken with a Scottish team and given it was who he supported, was pride of place above his till. Gordon told me Graeme was a Hearts fan.

Golden Bear
21-11-2015, 05:47 PM

There's great footage of that game on You Tube.

Golden Bear
21-11-2015, 05:52 PM
Never a Hun! His brother had a wee newsagents next to Mathers on Broughton st. This was about 1984 if I recall correctly. Gordon Souness, very like Graeme but think older? In the shop, I frequented regularly was a picture at that time, of Souness with the Hearts team. Gordon treasured it as it was the only picture of his brother taken with the team he supported. Was pride of place above his till. Gordon told me Graeme was a Hearts fan.

Does he have another brother? I worked beside a guy (he was a Planning Officer) and I'm sure he was Graham's brother. His name wasn't Gordon though.

Hibs_dot_com
21-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Graeme was a Hearts supporter as a kid. Gordon, the oldest brother, was on Hearts books as a seventeen year old.
Had another older brother called Billy

MrSmith
21-11-2015, 05:55 PM
I don't know? Only ever met Gordon.

WoreTheGreen
21-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Woked in his brothers house when he answered the door double of Graham only taller .good luck to him

iwasthere1972
21-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Can only wish him well.

Golden Bear
21-11-2015, 06:15 PM
I don't know? Only ever met Gordon.

I've remembered, his name was Jim and he may have been a cousin.

Future17
21-11-2015, 06:17 PM
Grew up on Albion Place IIRC. Think I recall him saying he and his dad used to sneak in to ER at night and play on the pitch fairly regularly.

I really quite like Souness. I think he comes across as passionate, honest and he's obviously mellowed the nastier aspects of his character which he displayed as a player.

He's spoken about his debut against us with massive regret. He mentioned walking off after the red card and looking up to the main stand where his dad was sitting. He said something like it suddenly hit him that he'd just disgraced himself in front of his dad in "his own back garden". He said the sense of shame would live with him for a long time.

Hope he makes a speedy recovery. :aok:

Hibs_dot_com
21-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Jim was his dad's name. He had two older brothers Gordon and Billy
and they all lived in the Saughton Mains prefabs

skipster7
21-11-2015, 06:22 PM
There's great footage of that game on You Tube.

Just sat and watched that for the umpteenth time. Brilliant day 😃
McCoist really is a wee diving sneaky hun twat. Punching Fulton from behind the running away:rolleyes:

WoreTheGreen
21-11-2015, 06:23 PM
Think he grew up in saughton mains as was marrinello and cummings

Golden Bear
21-11-2015, 06:26 PM
Just sat and watched that for the umpteenth time. Brilliant day 😃
McCoist really is a wee diving sneaky hun twat. Punching Fulton from behind the running away:rolleyes:

Absolute mayhem. Naughty but brilliant!

Tom Hart RIP
21-11-2015, 06:26 PM
Peter Marinello grew up nearby and was big pals with billy in Saighton Mains.
Hope it's not too serious.

Halifaxhibby
21-11-2015, 06:27 PM
He's had previous with this. Got a bypass operation around 20 years ago I think

Aye he had a triple bypass when he was manager of oldco. He bypassed the league, the league cup and the scottish cup!!!!

GGTTH

WoreTheGreen
21-11-2015, 06:29 PM
And HMRC

PatHead
21-11-2015, 06:36 PM
I've remembered, his name was Jim and he may have been a cousin.

Was there not a Jim Souness who was the boss of Life Association of Scotland. He had played football at Hibs (never made the first team) and Hearts. He died in a climbing accident. Used to work with his sister years ago.

Don't know if they were related.

Hibby Bairn
21-11-2015, 06:37 PM
If only we had a midfield general like Souness in the Scotland team.

ancient hibee
21-11-2015, 06:42 PM
Was there not a Jim Souness who was the boss of Life Association of Scotland. He had played football at Hibs (never made the first team) and Hearts. He died in a climbing accident. Used to work with his sister years ago.

They weren't related.

He played about a dozen games.His first game was in the game that sewed up the league title and he scored a couple of goals.He played in Hearts League Cup winning team

He was also a long time BB officer at Newhaven.

He died in a climbing accident in Switzerland the weekend he retired.Pretty sad.

Golden Bear
21-11-2015, 06:43 PM

This was probably late eighties. He looked like Graham and the more I think about it, I'm sure he was a cousin.

PatHead
21-11-2015, 06:45 PM
They weren't related.

He played about a dozen games.His first game was in the game that sewed up the league title and he scored a couple of goals.He played in Hearts League Cup winning team

He was also a long time BB officer at Newhaven.

He died in a climbing accident in Switzerland the weekend he retired.Pretty sad.

I forgot the climbing accident was just when he retired. Really tragic.

WoreTheGreen
21-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Jimmy the dad was a glazier like my dad nice guy

CropleyWasGod
21-11-2015, 06:46 PM

As said, no relation.

Was talking to my dad about JS last weekend, in the wake of the Keatings hat-trick. According to him, JS also scored a hat-trick for Hearts and Hibs (he did play for the first team), but was from the other side of the tracks from GS. Went to Heriot's, I believe.

DISCLAIMER. My dad is 84, and was going to ER when Lawrie Reilly was a boy.

ancient hibee
21-11-2015, 06:48 PM
As said, no relation.

Was talking to my dad about JS last weekend, in the wake of the Keatings hat-trick. JS also scored a hat-trick for Hearts and Hibs (he did play for the first team), but was from the other side of the tracks from GS. Went to Heriot's, I believe.

4 goals in a friendly I think.

Excellent cricketer as was his brother Ronnie.

CropleyWasGod
21-11-2015, 06:54 PM
4 goals in a friendly I think.

Excellent cricketer as was his brother Ronnie.

Played for Scotland I think.

Also knocked me back for a job at LAS. Hated him at the time.... in hindsight, did me a huge favour. :greengrin

Bostonhibby
21-11-2015, 07:25 PM
Never a Hun! His brother had a wee newsagents next to Mathers on Broughton st. This was about 1984 if I recall correctly. Gordon Souness, very like Graeme but think older? In the shop, I frequented regularly was a picture at that time, of Souness with the Hearts team. Gordon treasured it as it was the only picture of his brother taken with a Scottish team and given it was who he supported, was pride of place above his till. Gordon told me Graeme was a Hearts fan.

I worked in Albany St around the same time and Spent far too many lunchtimes in the original Mathers - your recollections are spot on - I also agree with Sergey about Souness the footballer, I wish Souness the man all the best in whatever he is dealing with now.

Green Reaper
21-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Jimmy the dad was a glazier like my dad nice guy

Yep, nice guy was Jimmy, worked beside him at CDW(now Solaglass) at Northfield Broadway

Thecat23
21-11-2015, 07:39 PM
Any updates on his health?

WoreTheGreen
21-11-2015, 07:39 PM
Yep, nice guy was Jimmy, worked beside him at CDW(now Solaglass) at Northfield Broadway

Name please my dad defo no you. Even nickname

Green Reaper
21-11-2015, 07:43 PM
Name please my dad defo no you. Even nickname

Chris, worked there making shopfronts/doors etc, only 18 at the time. We used to go down the road to Scotties for a pint so maybe your Dad did as well?

WoreTheGreen
21-11-2015, 07:51 PM
Ta dad 80 don't think he will remember but remembers Jimmy Sounes.good luck GSr

wookie70
21-11-2015, 07:51 PM
Best wishes in terms of his health but as well as being a great player he was a thug. Some of the tackles he put in were career wreckers and lots were cowardly attacks. One of the players who you would have loved if he was in your team. Funny I never had too much of a problem when he was flying into leg breakers when he played with Scotland but from memory he never did it as often as he never had the same protection from refs as he did with Rangers or Liverpool.

Sergey
21-11-2015, 07:57 PM
Best wishes in terms of his health but as well as being a great player he was a thug. Some of the tackles he put in were career wreckers and lots were cowardly attacks. One of the players who you would have loved if he was in your team. Funny I never had too much of a problem when he was flying into leg breakers when he played with Scotland but from memory he never did it as often as he never had the same protection from refs as he did with Rangers or Liverpool.

I might be wrong here, but wasn't there a match in a Euro competition while he played for Rangers when he broke some lads leg with a horrific tackle and the host country of the club involved refused to play a few week later in an arranged international friendly.

I have a recollection it was a Romanian side/country.

Green Reaper
21-11-2015, 08:02 PM

It was 32 years ago so can hardly remember myself!

WoreTheGreen
21-11-2015, 08:10 PM
For scotland againnst icelaand? Broke top playerd leg

Golden Bear
21-11-2015, 08:14 PM
For scotland againnst icelaand? Broke top playerd leg

Yip. Not that it's relevant right now. I wish GS all the best and hope he makes a full recovery.

Joe6-2
21-11-2015, 08:20 PM

This, this, this!

stevie-bee
21-11-2015, 08:26 PM
What was your dads name ,
I remember a few of the glazers trying to think of the guys who where about 50 ,

monktonharp
21-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Yep, nice guy was Jimmy, worked beside him at CDW(now Solaglass) at Northfield Broadway and wi Tam Daly ? now there's a real glazier, and a Hibby with real character :greengrin

McD
21-11-2015, 09:12 PM
I do like souness, I think his punditry is very good, and was a great player.

Cool_Hand_Luke
21-11-2015, 09:24 PM

Agree :agree:

Always laugh at him and Gullit ripping in to Lennon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQiEdkD4CdE

Bishop Hibee
21-11-2015, 10:35 PM
Great player for Liverpool, Sampdoria and Scotland. Total roaster when at Rangers but broke the sectarian signing policy so huge plus marks there.

Good pundit. Get well soon.

TrinityHibs
21-11-2015, 10:45 PM

Jambo through and through. Responsible for funding Mercer.

Sammy7nil
21-11-2015, 11:54 PM

:agree:

Scouse Hibee
22-11-2015, 12:20 AM
Hope he's okay, absolutely tremendous player for Liverpool even if his stint as manager wasn't memorable, loved watching him boss games for Liverpool.

AlbertK86
22-11-2015, 12:26 AM
The guy was a complete thug and put many players out of the game. His debut for Rangers at ER will forever live in my memory.

Can't argue with any of that but still one of the best players I have seen when he was in his hay days with Liverpool and Scotland

Scouse Hibee
22-11-2015, 12:29 AM
Can't argue with any of that but still one of the best players I have seen when he was in his hay days with Liverpool and Scotland

I can it's bull****, how many players did he put out of the game?

Scouse Hibee
22-11-2015, 12:30 AM

Nonsense....................name them? I've seen him play more games than you've had free dinners!

AlbertK86
22-11-2015, 12:36 AM
I might be wrong here, but wasn't there a match in a Euro competition while he played for Rangers when he broke some lads leg with a horrific tackle and the host country of the club involved refused to play a few week later in an arranged international friendly. I have a recollection it was a Romanian side/country.

The Romanian bit was when he was at Liverpool ..... Broke one. Of the Romanians jaw with a punch

Scouse Hibee
22-11-2015, 12:49 AM
The Romanian bit was when he was at Liverpool ..... Broke one. Of the Romanians jaw with a punch

:agree: 84 v Bucharest boy was taking liberties so he chinned him, got dogs abuse in second leg was even threatened by cops at the game, unlike fannies that play today he just got on with it, ****** solid player in an era where you could be......................Liverpool legend.

gorgie greens
22-11-2015, 08:10 AM
I grew up in saughton mains , he used to pop in to his parents when he was up training with Scotland and he was always handing out signed photos , hated him in his debut for the Huns but was always decent to us wee nippy kids in the street

H18S NX
22-11-2015, 11:15 AM
and wi Tam Daly ? now there's a real glazier, and a Hibby with real character :greengrin...Tam's a m8 of mine,drinks in the alahmbra in Leith,canny wait to tell him he's been mentioned on .net.

WoreTheGreen
22-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Tam a real glazier canny be he works for the council ha ha

Sergey
22-11-2015, 11:59 AM

This was the one I was thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygVgxYa3mlo

FitbaFolkKen
22-11-2015, 12:19 PM
This was the one I was thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygVgxYa3mlo

The commentator saying that is certainly a booking.... the game has changed a little since then!

--------
22-11-2015, 03:49 PM
Nonsense....................name them? I've seen him play more games than you've had free dinners!

Absolutely - he didn't even put McCluskey out of the game. :greengrin

Souness was the player Billy Bremner should have been, supremely talented, iron hard, totally uncompromising, but with none of the sleazy reputation, dishonesty, or hard boozing. In many ways the consummate professional.

If he had played for Hibs he would be lauded on this forum as an all-time Hibs legend; because he played for Rangers some Hibs supporters make out he was nothing but a thug.

(And I have to say McCluskey wasn't the sort of player I would be ready to go to war over with anyone. I never liked him very much.)

IMO he's one of the best of all the current commentators/summarisers on any channel. Always intelligent, courteous and entertaining. Even when he criticises a player he does so sensibly and appropriately, always well worth listening to.

And unlike Michael Owen's, I could listen to his voice all night - a pleasure to listen to him. I really hope he makes a complete and speedy recovery.

McIntosh
22-11-2015, 04:04 PM

Souness was the player Billy Bremner should have been, supremely talented, iron hard, totally uncompromising, but with none of the sleazy reputation, dishonesty, or hard boozing. In many ways the consummate professional.

If he had played for Hibs he would be lauded on this forum as an all-time Hibs legend; because he played for Rangers some Hibs supporters make out he was nothing but a thug.

(And I have to say McCluskey wasn't the sort of player I would be ready to go to war over with anyone. I never liked him very much.)

Souness as a player was nasty, malicious and extremely dirty. Not my cup of tea - ever. I had the misfortune to see first hand what he did to George McCluskey - it was horrific. Brian Clough accurately summed up Souness the player. He stated, "Souness is a coward. Like the dog in my street he is good at giving it but not good at taking it back". As for Billy Bremner, the man who you have just maligned in his battle with ill health he showed great courage and to his credit did not sell his story to the Sun. This last act sum up this self serving and greedy human being.

Scottie
22-11-2015, 04:11 PM
The commentator saying that is certainly a booking.... the game has changed a little since then!
Archie Mc'Bluenose :rolleyes:

Bostonhibby
22-11-2015, 04:14 PM

IMO he's one of the best of all the current commentators/summarisers on any channel. Always intelligent, courteous and entertaining. Even when he criticises a player he does so sensibly and appropriately, always well worth listening to.

And unlike Michael Owen's, I could listen to his voice all night - a pleasure to listen to him. I really hope he makes a complete and speedy recovery.

Souness as a player was nasty, malicious and extremely dirty. Not my cup of tea - ever. I had the misfortune to see first hand what he did to George McCluskey - it was horrific. Brian Clough accurately summed up Souness the player. He stated, "Souness is a coward. Like the dog in my street he is good at giving it but not good at taking it back". As for Billy Bremner, the man who you have just maligned in his battle with ill health he showed great courage and to his credit did not sell his story to the Sun. This last act sum up this self serving and greedy human being.

looking at how this thread has developed and taking account of what he and his family have probably been going through I think my negative assessment of the player hasn't actually changed but is heavily influenced by how quickly he seemed to embrace all aspects of the arrogance and culture of the now defunct Glasgow rangers when he joined them - no better example than his debut against us.

I do hope the man recovers recovers quickly and soon.

Hibby Bairn
22-11-2015, 04:15 PM
http://youtu.be/ygVgxYa3mlo

Just a booking 😮

Smartie
22-11-2015, 04:21 PM

Football in those days was nasty, malicious and extremely dirty at times.

Souness could mix it like the very best/ worst of them, as well as being able to play.

His debut for Rangers was not his finest hour but at least he has had the good grace to admit to some regret over it.

Brilliant player, excellent pundit and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Scouse Hibee
22-11-2015, 04:24 PM

You missed out, that he was a superb player who could dominate games from midifeld, pick out the killer passes, score goals and led Liverpool to five championships, three European cups and four league cups. As for Clough saying Souness is a coward, total nonsense he could dish it out and take it, not that many were willing to dish it out to him.

Hibby Bairn
22-11-2015, 04:32 PM
You missed out, that he was a superb player who could dominate games from midifeld, pick out the killer passes, score goals and led Liverpool to five championships, three European cups and four league cups. As for Clough saying Souness is a coward, total nonsense he could dish it out and take it, not that many were willing to dish it out to him.

And 3 World Cup Finals squads.

McIntosh
22-11-2015, 04:58 PM
You missed out, that he was a superb player who could dominate games from midifeld, pick out the killer passes, score goals and led Liverpool to five championships, three European cups and four league cups. As for Clough saying Souness is a coward, total nonsense he could dish it out and take it, not that many were willing to dish it out to him.Clough had a very effective way of dealing with Souness. While his record of 'success' is evident what cannot be denied is his part in the significant decline of Liverpool FC from a football world power. I must admit that I am impressed that you can forgive him selling his exclusive to the Sun. I know a lot of merseysiders do not share your ability to forgive.

--------
22-11-2015, 05:05 PM

Don Revie's gofer. And as nasty as they come.

HibbyAndy
22-11-2015, 05:07 PM
Speedy recovery :aok:

As a player i never ever liked him, He was a durty *******!

McIntosh
22-11-2015, 05:11 PM
Don Revie's gofer. And as nasty as they come. you have an interesting opinion about a man well known in Yorkshire for his charity work and in terms of football he was Scotland's most successful World Cup skipper.

weecounty hibby
22-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Souness was a fantastic player who had everything. Was terrific technically and was as hard as nails. Every successful team back then had a hard man in midfield that did the job Souness did. The advantage Liverpool had was that combined with that steel was a superbly gifted footballer as well in one player. I loved watching him play, and I am an Everton man as well!!! Blotted his copy book big time for me when he signed for the huns and even worse when he started to turn into one of them. Hope he gets well though

Bostonhibby
22-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Don Revie's gofer. And as nasty as they come.

Hear what you say, but I actually though Giles, Charlton and Hunter were the worst.

JimBHibees
22-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Think Souness was a bit of a coward to be honest as the number of times he went over the ball was ridiculous. Broke the young Icelander Siggi Jonsson's ankle with a shocker.

Geo_1875
22-11-2015, 07:01 PM
Complete liberty taker. Hope he recovers.

--------
22-11-2015, 07:45 PM
you have an interesting opinion about a man well known in Yorkshire for his charity work and in terms of football he was Scotland's most successful World Cup skipper.

I can think of at least one actual Yorkshireman well-known for his charity work. He wasn't a man I'd have allowed over the door of my house, though. Strong Leeds connection as well.

And being Don Revie's gofer - sorry, captain - isn't a recommendation, either.

Scouse Hibee
22-11-2015, 08:06 PM
Clough had a very effective way of dealing with Souness. While his record of 'success' is evident what cannot be denied is his part in the significant decline of Liverpool FC from a football world power. I must admit that I am impressed that you can forgive him selling his exclusive to the Sun. I know a lot of merseysiders do not share your ability to forgive.

:confused: I'm impressed that you think you know my feelings on the issue with the Sun when I have not give you the slightest hint to them. Maybe you should be more impressed that I can show compassion to an ex player who served the club well during his playing career and that I am not the type of person to wipe out achievements from my memory because of someones later actions. A cheap shot from you by the way!

ALF TUPPER
22-11-2015, 08:39 PM
He's at home, on the mend and grateful for the kind wishes it seems. 😷

Bad Martini
23-11-2015, 11:02 AM
The King held/holds him in high regard. That tells me a lot in football terms. The fact he held down a place in the greatest Liverpool teams of all time should tell you another. Fair dues, he ended up with the manky huns and had an apparent youthful interest in the yams.

Nobody is perfect. He did however, not give a toss and got into anyone and everyone on the pitch. Fair dues, sometimes he over stepped the mark. You could never call him a journeyman tho, uninterested and only there to make up numbers. You may not like the man for whatever reason but even his most hardened detractors must at least respect the fact he speaks his mind, doesn't give a **** and has been pretty much honest in all his fitba life, notwithstanding any onptich sneakery which you can bet, if done for us, would be acceptable.

Shame he never played for Hibs - he would have been a good asset and a rock solid midfielder to boot.

Anyways, wish him well.

Hibeewilly
23-11-2015, 12:57 PM
He's at home, on the mend and grateful for the kind wishes it seems. 
Good to hear Alf. Get well soon Graham

Forza Fred
26-11-2015, 07:28 AM
Souness the player generates divided commentary, and I guess that is to be expected, but I have nothing but praise for Souness the bloke, in the very short dealings I had with him.

In the early days of the Oz branch I used to edit a monthly newsletter/magazine, which contained a 'celebrity profile' Q &A segment.

In those pre internet days everything was done by snail mail or if we could wrangle it, by fax.

Many questionnaires were forwarded all over the world to various 'celebrities' and many never responded.

Graham Souness did, taking the time to personally write an answer to each of the questions in some length and posted it back to us.

This was when he was manager of Rangers and yes, one of the questions related directly to the game he was sent off in at Easter Road.

He was totally supportive of our efforts, and said that it was great that we still fervently supported Hibs from so far away.

He didn't need to reply, as many didn't, but he took the time to do something that was not going to earn him any brownie points, and I think that says much about him, irrespective of some comments on here from people who perhaps have had no personal dealings with him.

I hope he recovers fully, and that one day I get to shake his hand and personally thank him.

I wish him well and a full and speedy recovery.

scm70nyd1973
26-11-2015, 08:17 AM
My wife's cousin played piano on the cruise ships. On one trip Souness (post Rangers job) was on a 3 month trip and he got to know him really well and said he was as decent a guy you could ever meet. Changed my view of him to be honest and after the one nil at Wembley when he showed his passion for Scotland I have liked him ever since. I absolutely despised him when he was at that long lost always to be forgotten Glasgow club. I was at the famous game at Easter Road - celebrated the sending off more than the goals. I remember the poor guy next to me after the first one went in with blood all over his face - asked him what had happened. Apparently he had fallen on the deck and yours truly had jumped all over his face - he thought it was hilarious - so did I after a few seconds and after I knew I wasn't going to get a doing. The previous game at ER I was also jumping about like a nutter ( three times - 2 for Albert's contribution and once because of Stuart Beedie's goal for Utd - we were celebrating anything at that point - a kettle could have boiled and we would have gone radio rental) but there wasn't as many folk about that day !

Get well Mr S - you are really a good guy after all 😬

hibbiedon
26-11-2015, 08:18 AM
!

correct

NAE NOOKIE
26-11-2015, 09:29 AM
1 .................. An extremely talented football player who played in one of Europe's greatest ever club sides.

2 .................. A decent pundit who speaks well and clearly knows the game

3 .................. A nasty little thug, whose worst tackles went way beyond 'standing up for yourself' or 'letting them know you're there' and if he didn't end any careers it was more by luck than judgement.

I wish 1 and 2 well.

The_Sauz
26-11-2015, 11:01 AM

If you knew him at CDW, then you you would have known my uncle.....John Clark :wink:

IWasThere2016
26-11-2015, 03:44 PM
Football in those days was nasty, malicious and extremely dirty at times.

Souness could mix it like the very best/ worst of them, as well as being able to play.

His debut for Rangers was not his finest hour but at least he has had the good grace to admit to some regret over it.

Brilliant player, excellent pundit and I wish him a speedy recovery.

This for me. A brilliant player first and foremost.

superfurryhibby
26-11-2015, 03:56 PM
Souness is a man wiho has always divided opinion. His confidence and sense of self-worth is hard for some to swallow, as were his past mistakes. particularly his dealings with Sun and the Hun.

People need to remember that he played at a time when violence and on- field thuggery were considered part of the game. He did overstep the mark, but in that respect he was no different to many peers.

Pat Stanton recalled when Hibs played Rael Madrid that Di Stefano gave him a few sore ones as a reward for his close attention. Guys like Denis Law, Billy Bremner and the like all possessed a hard nosed attitude to dishing it out when required.

Sourness played with supreme self belief. He lacked pace, even in his prime, but he played with a certainty and arrogance that was based on his tremendous skill on the ball. He was a leader and a driving force in a superb Liverpool team.

I wish him well and speedy recovery, he was an iconic figure as a player and Scotland haven't produced many of them in the past 25 years or so since he retired. An Edinburgh man who graced the game we all love at the very highest level. He deserves a wee bit respect.

bournehibby
26-11-2015, 04:15 PM
Souness is a man wiho has always divided opinion. His confidence and sense of self-worth is hard for some to swallow, as were his past mistakes. particularly his dealings with Sun and the Hun.

People need to remember that he played at a time when violence and on- field thuggery were considered part of the game. He did overstep the mark, but in that respect he was no different to many peers.

Pat Stanton recalled when Hibs played Rael Madrid that Di Stefano gave him a few sore ones as a reward for his close attention. Guys like Denis Law, Billy Bremner and the like all possessed a hard nosed attitude to dishing it out when required.

Sourness played with supreme self belief. He lacked pace, even in his prime, but he played with a certainty and arrogance that was based on his tremendous skill on the ball. He was a leader and a driving force in a superb Liverpool team.

I wish him well and speedy recovery, he was an iconic figure as a player and Scotland haven't produced many of them in the past 25 years or so since he retired. An Edinburgh man who graced the game we all love at the very highest level. He deserves a wee bit respect.
Agree with all that SFH :agree: Actually bumped into him a few weeks ago, and these days he's a very calm and mellow fellow, unlike his youthful personae :greengrin

bh