PDA

View Full Version : NHC Team Badge Nonsense

Newry Hibs
20-11-2015, 08:09 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34882922

Good grief. Do people really think this matters in 2015?

Not sure if this bit relates to the The rangers boss ...
And if it can be described heraldically if you want to use it in Scotland, it must be first granted to you by the Lord Lyon King of Arms

Pretty Boy
20-11-2015, 08:12 PM
'A complaint from a member of the public.....'

Seriously get a ****ing life.

Thecat23
20-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Would this mean "the famous" would have to change their badge? With them having the saltire in it!

wookie70
20-11-2015, 08:21 PM
Did we not have to get rid of the badge we used in the 70s because of the crown. Whilst I appreciate Scotland's history this is just ridiculous. It does look like they are using it as an opportunity to engage with fans so it might work in their favour.

jst1875
20-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Would this mean "the famous" would have to change their badge? With them having the saltire in it!

imagine if a member of the public was to make complaint :greengrin

erin go bragh
20-11-2015, 08:27 PM
Did we not have to get rid of the badge we used in the 70s because of the crown. Whilst I appreciate Scotland's history this is just ridiculous. It does look like they are using it as an opportunity to engage with fans so it might work in their favour.

Rings a bell that the Duke of Buccleuch wanted a million quid for us to keep that badge as it was his coat of arms or some single fish similar .

GGTTH

Thecat23
20-11-2015, 08:30 PM

Yeah I'm sure we needed permission to use the crown above the ball.

Thecat23
20-11-2015, 08:30 PM

No one would surely do that to them.... Would they?! 😁

Mikey09
20-11-2015, 08:32 PM

:saltireflag :yw: :rules: :faf:

Carheenlea
20-11-2015, 08:39 PM
You really do have to be one joyless individual to lodge a complaint like this.

poolman
20-11-2015, 08:39 PM
What a sad bassa who made that complaint

I wonder what he's like to have a conversation with ?

Nah...I'll no bother

Sad git

Sioux
20-11-2015, 08:49 PM
No one would surely do that to them.... Would they?! 

One would hope not! Think about the history, how famous they are, how they are Edinburgh's establishment club, institution even. Just think of having 400,00 signatures on a petition to parliament to change the law. What a campaign that would be.

Surely no member of the public, no matter how well meaning, would dare to consider writing to the office of the Lord Lyon on such a thing.

GET IT DONE!!!!
:flag::flag::flag::brokenyam:

Pete
20-11-2015, 08:54 PM
No one would surely do that to them.... Would they?! 😁

Heraldry is an important issue for some.

Bishop Hibee
20-11-2015, 11:07 PM
This is the sort of crap that should be reformed. Let's try to make Scotland a modern country not some sort of tartan Brigadoon.

Only after Hertz have been forced to change their badge though.

NAE NOOKIE
20-11-2015, 11:38 PM
I love all that stuff...... which is a bit strange seeing as how I'm a left of centre bordering on left wing committed republican.

I don't have a lot of problem with certain aspects of the quaint customs of the Lord Lyon King of Arms jurisdiction over who gets what and who uses what .... after all, it was the nobs who made all this stuff up in the first place, its their ba as it were, so they can say who plays I suppose.

That is until it comes to two things ..... The Saltire and the Thistle.

As far as I'm concerned these two symbols belong to the people of Scotland, they are not, and can never be, the sole preserve of one group or any self proclaimed social elite. For centuries the men and women of Scotland have fought and died in wars and sweated blood on the sports field with that flag flying overhead and that symbol on their chest ...... They sure as hell didn't do that to have a set of jumped up chinless wonders tell them that these symbols of Scotland don't belong to them.

If this comes to a head I would not hesitate in saying that this should go as far as the Scottish parliament, or the house of commons if its not within the remit of Holyrood.

In the frankly unbelievable scenario that neither of these bodies can do anything about this situation, then perhaps its time ( like New Zealand ) that the people of Scotland had a vote on choosing a new flag.

Until that happens Ayr United and any other Scottish group in whatever field they may operate should tell the Lord Lyon and whoever else tries to tell us we cant use OUR FLAG to stick their objection up their arse.

:saltireflag

norhfc
21-11-2015, 12:11 AM
:agree::agree: this totally.
I love all that stuff...... which is a bit strange seeing as how I'm a left of centre bordering on left wing committed republican.

I don't have a lot of problem with certain aspects of the quaint customs of the Lord Lyon King of Arms jurisdiction over who gets what and who uses what .... after all, it was the nobs who made all this stuff up in the first place, its their ba as it were, so they can say who plays I suppose.

That is until it comes to two things ..... The Saltire and the Thistle.

As far as I'm concerned these two symbols belong to the people of Scotland, they are not, and can never be, the sole preserve of one group or any self proclaimed social elite. For centuries the men and women of Scotland have fought and died in wars and sweated blood on the sports field with that flag flying overhead and that symbol on their chest ...... They sure as hell didn't do that to have a set of jumped up chinless wonders tell them that these symbols of Scotland don't belong to them.

If this comes to a head I would not hesitate in saying that this should go as far as the Scottish parliament, or the house of commons if its not within the remit of Holyrood.

In the frankly unbelievable scenario that neither of these bodies can do anything about this situation, then perhaps its time ( like New Zealand ) that the people of Scotland had a vote on choosing a new flag.

Until that happens Ayr United and any other Scottish group in whatever field they may operate should tell the Lord Lyon and whoever else tries to tell us we cant use OUR FLAG to stick their objection up their arse.

:saltireflag

ChilliEater
21-11-2015, 06:07 AM
Am I the only one who's first thought on reading that was "Tracy McTrusty - what a great name!"? She should be a character in Thomas the Tank Engine or something similar :agree:

Keith_M
21-11-2015, 07:23 AM
The Hearts badge isn't a 'heraldic symbol' (e.g. inside a shield), so I don't think they have anything to worry about.

Bostonhibby
21-11-2015, 08:53 AM
One would hope not! Think about the history, how famous they are, how they are Edinburgh's establishment club, institution even. Just think of having 400,00 signatures on a petition to parliament to change the law. What a campaign that would be.

Surely no member of the public, no matter how well meaning, would dare to consider writing to the office of the Lord Lyon on such a thing.

GET IT DONE!!!!
:flag::flag::flag::brokenyam:

:aok: Telling him all about that tax money they didn't hand over plus the stolen charity cash will clinch it I reckon.

Bristolhibby
21-11-2015, 09:01 AM
You really do have to be one joyless individual to lodge a complaint like this.

Or a Killie fan!

Jack
21-11-2015, 09:26 AM
I used to work for a government organisation that fell foul of the Lord Lyon, the badge had been in use for decades, and I was tasked with liaising with 'him' to get it sorted.

It's all very serious stuff so I probably wasn't the best person for the task :-)

We gave up when it got to the stage we shouldn't/couldn't do this do that because the sword was the wrong way round or the key was upside down, wrong crown. It was a minefield.

We ended up just using the initials of the organisation.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-11-2015, 10:39 AM
When we changed crown to that new badge that looked like a beer bottle label, I wish folk had complained then. Off the point but it still irks that this abomination is in the struts at the back of the FF stand.

grunt
21-11-2015, 11:10 AM
Am I the only one who's first thought on reading that was "Tracy McTrusty - what a great name!"? Me too.

NAE NOOKIE
21-11-2015, 11:12 AM
When we changed crown to that new badge that looked like a beer bottle label, I wish folk had complained then. Off the point but it still irks that this abomination is in the struts at the back of the FF stand.

:agree:

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-11-2015, 11:17 AM

I loved that badge but only because it was the first badge I knew as a wee boy. Looking back, it wasn't great.
Slightly off topic but I wish we'd maintain the stands a bit better. The FF in particular is a mess. Above the entrance to BTG is minging.

tamig
21-11-2015, 11:24 AM
I loved that badge but only because it was the first badge I knew as a wee boy. Looking back, it wasn't great.
Slightly off topic but I wish we'd maintain the stands a bit better. The FF in particular is a mess. Above the entrance to BTG is minging.
In saying that they are in far better nick than the Tynie tin cans.

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-11-2015, 11:31 AM
In saying that they are in far better nick than the Tynie tin cans.

Correct! However I reckon that's because they are far better stands rather than because we have bothered to maintain them. In my 7 years living opposite the stadium I never seen as much as a lick of paint being given. I'm glad this is my biggest moan at the moment [emoji16]

southern hibby
21-11-2015, 11:38 AM
So let's take this further, does this mean any person with said badge
tattoo' d on their person is also ( possibly ) breaking the law and open to prosecution?

Can just imagine the judge. You've been found GUILTY 28 days suspended sentence and within that time have the tattoo removed or covered over with new tattoo.
How many left to prosecute Procurator Fiscal?

Only 64,927 My Lord.

GGTTH

greenlex
21-11-2015, 12:11 PM

Is it still there? I thought it had been cut out if removed.

greenginger
21-11-2015, 12:20 PM
The Hearts badge isn't a 'heraldic symbol' (e.g. inside a shield), so I don't think they have anything to worry about.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hearts+badge+2015&site=webhp&tbm=isch&imgil=j3mqFPDMvFho-M%253A%253BVmHO_4mXn3SPfM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F% 25252Fen.wikipedia.org%25252Fwiki%25252FHeart_of_M idlothian_F.C.&source=iu&pf=m&fir=j3mqFPDMvFho-M%253A%252CVmHO_4mXn3SPfM%252C_&biw=1240&bih=715&usg=__SBQuQmvI0x3Zozi5KYZj0__SBhw%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiZuuKmv6HJAhUK1xQKHTB9ASAQyjcIKw&ei=hmBQVpnfD4quU7D6hYAC#imgrc=j3mqFPDMvFho-M%3A&usg=__SBQuQmvI0x3Zozi5KYZj0__SBhw%3D

Maybe not Heraldric but it looks like a few courses of circular brickwork round the ball in the middle.

Complaint from the Royal Guild of Bricklayers , maybe. :greengrin

Keith_M
21-11-2015, 12:30 PM
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hearts+badge+2015&site=webhp&tbm=isch&imgil=j3mqFPDMvFho-M%253A%253BVmHO_4mXn3SPfM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F% 25252Fen.wikipedia.org%25252Fwiki%25252FHeart_of_M idlothian_F.C.&source=iu&pf=m&fir=j3mqFPDMvFho-M%253A%252CVmHO_4mXn3SPfM%252C_&biw=1240&bih=715&usg=__SBQuQmvI0x3Zozi5KYZj0__SBhw%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiZuuKmv6HJAhUK1xQKHTB9ASAQyjcIKw&ei=hmBQVpnfD4quU7D6hYAC#imgrc=j3mqFPDMvFho-M%3A&usg=__SBQuQmvI0x3Zozi5KYZj0__SBhw%3D

Maybe not Heraldric but it looks like a few courses of circular brickwork round the ball in the middle.

Or a complaint from the Masons, maybe.

:wink:

Smartie
21-11-2015, 12:31 PM

I didn't like the "planet saturn" badge and I'm glad we got rid of it.

I have to say that I quite like that it still features on the slats of the FF stand (and presumably the South Stand too)?

Whether we like it or not it is part of our history (a fairly inglorious spell right enough) but it is contemporaneous with those stands being built.

The thing I like least about ER these days is that it is a bit soulless and lacking in personality/ homeliness. I like what they've done outside the West Stand and want to see a whole lot more of that kind of stuff inside and around the ground. The steps up to the pitch are cool and I think we're getting all going in the right direction.

The ground still feels more like a nondescript English ground that had been built on the outskirts of a city by the council than a much-loved family home though.

The peculiarity of those badges being on those stands is therefore one of the things I like.

NAE NOOKIE
21-11-2015, 01:02 PM
I didn't like the "planet saturn" badge and I'm glad we got rid of it.

I have to say that I quite like that it still features on the slats of the FF stand (and presumably the South Stand too)?

Whether we like it or not it is part of our history (a fairly inglorious spell right enough) but it is contemporaneous with those stands being built.

The thing I like least about ER these days is that it is a bit soulless and lacking in personality/ homeliness. I like what they've done outside the West Stand and want to see a whole lot more of that kind of stuff inside and around the ground. The steps up to the pitch are cool and I think we're getting all going in the right direction.

The ground still feels more like a nondescript English ground that had been built on the outskirts of a city by the council than a much-loved family home though.

The peculiarity of those badges being on those stands is therefore one of the things I like.

I don't quite agree with this. I wouldn't go as far as to call ER soulless, though I think Hibs do acknowledge it needs to be Hibbied up a bit and are on the case, as the work on the west stand frontage you mentioned shows.

In order to make the inside of the stadium more intimidating and make it look a bit less 'generic' there's no doubt that filling in all the corners properly would make a huge difference, I don't think that should ever be off the agenda for Hibs. But the truth is its going to be a long long time before we are in a position to spend money on anything like that. Actually, if money was no object I would like to see the roofs of the FF, East and South extended by a few metres to make the ground even more enclosed.

I would say though that the gap between the FF and East must surely present an opportunity to enter into some sort of partnership with a hotel chain or similar to build something there which will fill the gap and make us money as well. The views from there over the Forth and the stadiums proximity to Holyrood and Princes street must make it an attractive proposition for somebody.

oldbutdim
21-11-2015, 01:02 PM

A warning about clicking on that link would have helped.

oh.
ma
eyes

Beefster
21-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Heraldry is an important issue for some.

Only because they can't get a ride.

NAE NOOKIE
21-11-2015, 02:14 PM
A warning about clicking on that link would have helped.

oh.
ma
eyes

Agreed ......... Ouch, that was brutal !!!

Serious question .... Why does that Yam badge reminding everybody they won WW1 have a Pumpkin in the middle of it?