PDA

View Full Version : NHC EPL to play French National Anthem before matches this weekend

iwasthere1972
19-11-2015, 02:28 PM
A step too much I think.

Where does it stop?

Ozyhibby
19-11-2015, 02:30 PM
They are virtue signalling. Very popular these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adhibs
19-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Mental decision.

Salt N Sauzee
19-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Too much in my opinion.

jdships
19-11-2015, 02:34 PM
A step too much I think.

Where does it stop?

:agree: totally !!

Steve20
19-11-2015, 02:44 PM
It's showing a bit of respect. I see no problem with it.

adhibs
19-11-2015, 02:48 PM

The whole of england was able to show respect during the international on tuesday. A minute silence at league games this weekend would've been unesecery, cant believe theve topped that and are playing the anthem

iwasthere1972
19-11-2015, 02:49 PM

What have they planned for next week? Supporters turning up on bicycles with onions wrapped round their necks.

Baldy Foghorn
19-11-2015, 02:53 PM
A number of French player's in EPL.....Problem playing National anthem, not really....Can think of worse things...........

Bostonhibby
19-11-2015, 02:55 PM
I dislike the money making machine that is the EPL, but I don't have a problem with this response to an exceptional event, especially as between the two countries involved where there is traditionally a bit of sporting tension. The worldwide exposure of the EPL helps broadcast the message against terrorism around the world in a way that maybe other leagues wouldn't?

Bishop Hibee
19-11-2015, 02:56 PM
When a player scores he he will give a gallic shrug of the shoulders.

'I'm more outraged and in solidarity than you' is the cry of the age :rolleyes:

Big_Franck
19-11-2015, 03:03 PM
That's a bit OTT I think. A minute's silence would have sufficed.

TRC
19-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Its an old arguement but will they play Kenyan Palestina syrian etc etc national anthems i think not. Why should one nations people be more valued than others?

Ozyhibby
19-11-2015, 03:13 PM
Its an old arguement but will they play Kenyan Palestina syrian etc etc national anthems i think not. Why should one nations people be more valued than others?

Correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onceinawhile
19-11-2015, 03:22 PM

Because we can't try and convince the public that wasting hundreds of millions by bombing Syria is a good idea based on people far away dieing.

HibbyKeith
19-11-2015, 03:25 PM

I get what your saying about other country's that suffer similar acts of terror, but I don't think it has anything to do with value, more a mark of solidarity towards the many French players currently playing in the EPL.

greenlex
19-11-2015, 03:29 PM
The world has lost its mind in more ways than one.

The_Exile
19-11-2015, 03:47 PM
I'm never convinced when sport and politics mix, not entirely sure it's needed but can see why they're doing it.

Famous Fiver
19-11-2015, 03:52 PM
EPL is a different organisation to FA.

Maybe they want to make their own tribute.

Not saying it's OTT or appropriate but might explain why it is being done.

jacomo
19-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Because we can't try and convince the public that wasting hundreds of millions by bombing Syria is a good idea based on people far away dieing.

Boom.

DH1875
19-11-2015, 04:01 PM
A step too much I think.

Where does it stop?

I tend to agree with that.

pacorosssco
19-11-2015, 04:04 PM
Football fans going to a game came close to loss of life and sadly innocent concert/restaurant attenders did. I agree tue night correctly recognised events but whats so bad at doing again. Costs nothing and means everything to those who lost loved ones. World in a mess but I think a symbolic jesture. I feel a minutes applause for the the virtue of life would be better if doing again. As a football supporter . Music lover and I love a trip out to eat is it so bad to celebrate those who lost their life doing just that , politics aside. Could have happend anywhere.

brog
19-11-2015, 04:05 PM
A step too much I think.

Where does it stop?

Its understandable to a point given that France is our nearest neighbour but I do find the overwhelming attention slightly off given recent slaughters in Turkey & Nigeria which were hardly mentioned. Additionally while the response of the English fans on Tuesday was commendable, there was virtually no coverage of the fighting in Alicante after Friday's game.

Thecat23
19-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Maybe with a lot of French players who play in the Prem they wanted to do something as its the first domestic games since it happened! I'm not that fussed if they do it or not. Certainly doesn't bother me.

poolman
19-11-2015, 04:10 PM
A step too much I think.

Where does it stop?

Maybe if a couple of players get in a spat they should head butt each other in the chest :greengrin

EdinMike
19-11-2015, 04:15 PM
A minutes silence or a minutes applause but to play La Marseillaise before the game. A bit much in my eyes. Hey ho, each to their own.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
19-11-2015, 04:28 PM

I suppose it is also in context that France is our closest neighbour, and (recent) ally.

heretoday
19-11-2015, 04:31 PM
We are in the age of gestures. We need to be careful we don't overdo them or then they will become empty gestures.

lord bunberry
19-11-2015, 04:35 PM
It is quite a catchy tune

CropleyWasGod
19-11-2015, 04:38 PM
Aux armes, citoyens.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Andy74
19-11-2015, 04:51 PM
There's no event that can't be improved by playing the French anthem.

Keith_M
19-11-2015, 04:54 PM
That's just stupid.

This is an extension of the Princess Diana effect, where organisations and public figures are terrified to be criticised for not reflecting the current 'public mood', which is actually just the opninions of a very vocal minority.

Smartie
19-11-2015, 04:57 PM

:agree: Wonderful piece of music.

A regret I have is that me and my mates got our wallets nicked on the Paris metro when we were over for the game that Scotland won 1-0. We were scrambling about cancelling bank cards and trying to find spare tickets for the match and ended up being late in for the game.

I'd always wanted to be present to hear the French anthem being belted out, in France, prior to a French international and I was gutted to have missed it.

Mr McFadden did help me get over it though.

Keith_M
19-11-2015, 04:59 PM
I suppose it is also in context that France is our closest neighbour, and (recent) ally.

The downing of the Malysaysian Airlines plane over Ukraine resulted in the deaths of 298 people, including 80 children. A large number of them from The Netherlands, which is just as close to the UK and even closer to Scotland.

Did we have a minutes silence at all games, website displayng the Dutch Flag, clubs playing 'Het Wilhelmus' before games?

:dunno:

Pretty Boy
19-11-2015, 05:10 PM
The downing of the Malysaysian Airlines plane over Ukraine resulted in the deaths of 298 people, including 80 children. A large number of them from The Netherlands, which is just as close to the UK and even closer to Scotland.

Did we have a minutes silence at all games, website displayng the Dutch Flag, clubs playing 'Het Wilhelmus' before games?

Without wishing to make light of the situation I dare say Rangers fans may well have enjoyed your last suggestion.

Sir David Gray
I would happily have La Marseillaise played before every match.

Cracking tune, wish it was our anthem.

Hibernian Verse

I found it a bit strange that Facebook gave people the option of changing profile pictures to being covered with a French flag. Do they now do that for every country affected by terrorism? Or when a madman decides to walk into a school with a gun in America?

Obviously I'm not against showing solidarity, but we can't do it for every bad thing that happens? Or can/should we?

Viva_Palmeiras
19-11-2015, 05:14 PM
That's just stupid.

This is an extension of the Princess Diana effect, where organisations and public figures are terrified to be criticised for not reflecting the current 'public mood', which is actually just the opninions of a very vocal minority.

That's the sense I'm getting. But maybe I'm just getting old and cynical.

Pete
19-11-2015, 05:20 PM
I really wish people would stop this guilt trip regarding other countries and their acts of terrorism. Are we not even allowed to show sympathy without this shriveling self-doubt and inward reflection?

We are separated by a matter of miles and have a long history of involvement with them. It's only natural that we are collectively effected more.

Next we will have people saying we are no better than daesh and it's all our own fault anyway for Iraq blah blah...

Saying that, I've no doubt that boosting the profile of the "greatest league in the world" might have something to do with this decision.

SanFranHibs
19-11-2015, 05:46 PM
Not too long ago when France refused to uncategorically go along with Bush/Blair into Iraq that Americans tried to have French Fries renamed Freedom Fries and many 'hated' the French. It is amazing what a few years of joining in the 'Let's bomb countries that others want to destroy' program can do and now they are running out on to sports field waving the French Tricolour and illuminating various structures in Blue, White and Red.

By the way, I have no issue showing respect to our French friends and allies. Just commenting on how things can change so quickly in politics. An enemy one day is your mistrusted ally the next day!

:saltireflag :sauzee:

CropleyWasGod
19-11-2015, 06:26 PM
I would happily have La Marseillaise played before every match.

Cracking tune, wish it was our anthem.
Shame about the lyrics :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Onceinawhile
19-11-2015, 06:31 PM

Yes there can. Listening to the Italian national anthem.

Jones28
19-11-2015, 08:08 PM
To be fair, there are a lot of French players in the EPL.

Furthermore, there is a closer connection to France in England than Kenya, or Syria or Palestine than anywhere else, IMO of course

Pretty Boy
19-11-2015, 08:37 PM
Every time we have these periods of coordinated grief the longer they go on the less sincere they seem.

SausageSurprise
19-11-2015, 09:18 PM
That's just stupid.

I blame Elton John

gillythehibby
19-11-2015, 09:46 PM
They Gawney play the Russian one as well then aye?

Nakedmanoncrack
19-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Simply ridiculous decision.

SanFranHibs
19-11-2015, 11:16 PM
Every time we have these periods of coordinated grief the longer they go on the less sincere they seem.

True and what crossed my mind is, should next week, heaven forbid, another attack on Paris occurs do we do it again? Or just say, 'Hey, we did it last week...that's enough'. Or do we just do it once for each country?

No problems supporting France and showing our sincere sympathy, but where does it end?

Sir David Gray
19-11-2015, 11:20 PM
My previous post on this thread was a bit of a joke. To answer the suject of the thread the directly, I do think it's unnecessary for each Premier League match to start with a rendition of the French national anthem this weekend. Since the Premier League was off last weekend, I have no problem with them observing a minute's silence but I don't see the need for doing this.

What the FA did on Tuesday night for the game against France at Wembley was a great touch and quite moving but this seems to be way over the top.

Velma Dinkley
19-11-2015, 11:50 PM
How very trendy

Dashing Bob S
20-11-2015, 12:02 AM
I really wish people would stop this guilt trip regarding other countries and their acts of terrorism. Are we not even allowed to show sympathy without this shriveling self-doubt and inward reflection?

We are separated by a matter of miles and have a long history of involvement with them. It's only natural that we are collectively effected more.

Next we will have people saying we are no better than daesh and it's all our own fault anyway for Iraq blah blah...

Saying that, I've no doubt that boosting the profile of the "greatest league in the world" might have something to do with this decision.

Think you hit the nail on the head there. When the fans gave that spontaneous singalong to the French national anthem at Wembley, it was just something those cynical greedy *******s couldn't help themselves but try to appropriate and tear the arse out of in their usual fashion.

I agree with what you said earlier, but all celebration/commiseration now feels like it's been hijacked by the powerful and self-serving.

mjhibby
20-11-2015, 04:47 AM

Im with you on this one. By all means show a united front against isis but they are committing these heinous crimes in many other countries and these other Victims shouldn't be forgotten.

mikewynne
20-11-2015, 05:45 AM
A minutes silence or a minutes applause but to play La Marseillaise before the game. A bit much in my eyes. Hey ho, each to their own.

I tend to agree. But as a lover of France and the French national anthem I'm always happy to hear La Marseillaise being sung, and I'm happy to see a show of solidarity with Parisians but it does seem a little strange from the English, they often seem to love a dig at the French. It seems that racism is prohibited in England, unless it's aimed at the French, Germans or Americans.

Gus
20-11-2015, 08:10 AM
BBC reporting that it will be played at all SPFL Grounds this weekend also

That will delight alot of you on here :rolleyes:

Salt N Sauzee
20-11-2015, 08:13 AM

On that note, I don't remember any clubs playing The Penny Arcade when The Rangers died either...

Peevemor
20-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Ridiculous. A minute's silence yes - more than that (at the football) no for me.

"To arms citizens Form your battalions
March, march
Let impure blood
Water our furrows"

:rolleyes:

heretoday
20-11-2015, 08:37 AM
Are they going to play the Mali anthem at half time?

Newry Hibs
20-11-2015, 09:52 AM
On Monday morning on Five Live breakfast with Nicky Campbell, they read out the names of all the victims to remind us of their loss. Completely over the top IMO.

I think 'they' are looking for new ways to show we care.

Have to say that open letter to ISIS from the father of the young child whose mother was killed was much more meaningful and deserves airtime.

green&left
20-11-2015, 09:56 AM
French before the game, Russian anthem at half-time? Lebanese at full-time? Where do we fit in the Mali anthem?

What a loada pish. EPL doing this will be a great PR and marketing boost for the greatest league in the world. If the SPFL follow suit its cos they're sheep.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-11-2015, 10:08 AM
I think 'they' are looking for new ways to show we care.

I blame social media, it's almost like a compassion competition, it's all a bit tacky.

jdships
20-11-2015, 10:24 AM
I blame social media, it's almost like a compassion competition, it's all a bit tacky.

Y'know , I think there is a " grain of truth" in your post :confused:

--------
20-11-2015, 11:52 AM
I tend to agree. But as a lover of France and the French national anthem I'm always happy to hear La Marseillaise being sung, and I'm happy to see a show of solidarity with Parisians but it does seem a little strange from the English, they often seem to love a dig at the French. It seems that racism is prohibited in England, unless it's aimed at the French, Germans or Americans.

Or the Scots ...

The backside of this Corporate Compulsory Compassionate Solidarity Syndrome is that when an expression of respect IS asked for in regard to a legitimate issue, some people will feel much less inclined to co-operate. So now in stead of a dignified silence (which is the right way to do things IMO) we have a crowd standing self-consciously applauding someone who's just died, and everyone watching everyone else to make sure they ARE standing applauding and not just sitting reading their newspaper. Like at a war memorial and someone comes over afterwards and wants to know why you weren't singing the Betty Windsor Lied.

You know the story of the first occasion Joe Stalin addressed the CPSU as General Secretary and Big Brother? He spoke for about three and a half hours, and when he finished everyone in the hall left to his or her feet applauding enthusiastically.

After about ten minutes people began to look anxious - sideways glances, hands getting sore, the applause becoming more and more laboured. But on they clapped. Nobody wanted to be the first to stop applauding the Boss.

Twenty minutes went by. Still they applauded. Still Stalin stood at the podium, looking over the audience, smiling that nasty evil smile of his.

Finally one of the party bosses behind him on the platform stopped clapping his hands. Everyone else sighed with relief and slowly the applause ceased.

Guess who was missing from the platform party the following morning?

A sudden heart attack, I understand.

The sort of thing that can so easily happen when a 9mm round violently enters the back of your skull and bounces around reducing your brain to mush.

Not there yet, of course, but we're getting there.

CropleyWasGod
20-11-2015, 01:25 PM
Whatever happened to yon poster Doddie?

Was it a heart attack, right enough?

:cb

Cropley10
20-11-2015, 04:04 PM

Superb point.

Utterly cringeworthy, but a sign of the times.

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2015, 04:35 PM

So far off the mark, there was an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman.......................................... ......

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-11-2015, 12:13 AM

Papal conspiracy? :dunno:

Why did Britain not declare war against Germany after they had invaded Poland?

or Denmark
or Norway
or the Netherlands?
maybe it's a cumulative effect :dunno:

"stop invading countries or we might do something..."

Might just be a normal human reaction to decide after a number of attrocities to make a gesture. Doesn't necessarily mean you value one life less than another :dunno:

I don't necessarily agree with the EPL's gesture, I'm referring to the wider media coverage the Paris incidents received over the Malaysia Airlines disaster.

O'Rourke3
21-11-2015, 12:39 AM
PL decides to do something and Rupert Murdoch's Sky as a main sponsor:paranoid:. Call me cynical but there's a connection. Problem is non compliance makes you as an individual out as an uncaring extremist sympathiser. It's up there with "When did you stop beating your wife?"

God Petrie
21-11-2015, 08:46 AM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mourning_sickness

greenlad
22-11-2015, 06:56 AM
BBC reporting that it will be played at all SPFL Grounds this weekend also

That will delight alot of you on here :rolleyes:

Didn't hear it at Alloa yesterday? Quietly shelved?

Canon Hannan
22-11-2015, 06:41 PM

Well said. Surely the Russian National anthem should have been played for the 250 who were murdered on the plane?
I don't get it.

Baldy Foghorn
22-11-2015, 06:44 PM
What do you think of Hamilton AFC Today?

Canon Hannan
22-11-2015, 06:49 PM
What do you think of Hamilton AFC Today?

As an OGC Nice supporter, French friends and lived there.......too much.

Scorrie
22-11-2015, 07:00 PM
Noticed that they played the French anthem at the Dumbarton Raith Rovers match

Hibby Bairn
22-11-2015, 07:25 PM
All a bit bizarre.

hibsbollah
22-11-2015, 07:41 PM
Watching St Etienne Marseille, great atmosphere, St Ettienne have the Eiffel tower peace sign on the front of their strips, looks really good. Diarras first game since his cousins shooting.

hfc rd
22-11-2015, 07:52 PM
Watching St Etienne Marseille, great atmosphere, St Ettienne have the Eiffel tower peace sign on the front of their strips, looks really good. Diarras first game since his cousins shooting.

I'm sure he played in the England friendly last week?

Sir David Gray
22-11-2015, 07:56 PM
I'm sure he played in the England friendly last week?

He did, he came on as a substitute.

hibsbollah
22-11-2015, 08:17 PM
He did, he came on as a substitute.

Tonight is his first OM game since the shooting.

Sir David Gray
22-11-2015, 08:22 PM
Tonight is his first OM game since the shooting.

I realise that, I'm just confirming to hfc rd that he was right to think that Diarra played for France last week.

hibsbollah
22-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Regardless, the shirts look extremely cool as well as being a nice tribute to the victims.

jacomo
23-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Suicide bombers did try to attack a football match in Paris 12 days ago. Had they succeeded, and the bomb gone off in the crowd rather than outside the ground, I doubt many people would have been moaning about hearing the Marseillaise last weekend.

I get the sense of injustice, that some victims of terrorist atrocities get more attention than others. People on here citing various downed airliners but can't even name or count endless terrorist atrocities across ME and Africa in the past month alone.

It's not fair. But it seems to me that football had a direct link to the attack in Paris. I don't have a problem with football acknowledging that.

Baldy Foghorn
23-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Suicide bombers did try to attack a football match in Paris 12 days ago. Had they succeeded, and the bomb gone off in the crowd rather than outside the ground, I doubt many people would have been moaning about hearing the Marseillaise last weekend.

I get the sense of injustice, that some victims of terrorist atrocities get more attention than others. People on here citing various downed airliners but can't even name or count endless terrorist atrocities across ME and Africa in the past month alone.

It's not fair. But it seems to me that football had a direct link to the attack in Paris. I don't have a problem with football acknowledging that.

Good post:aok: