View Full Version : bain's pies

Last Minute
19-11-2015, 01:47 PM
would you like bain's to be the provider of pies at Easter road

1. YES

2.NO

GreenCastle
19-11-2015, 01:50 PM
Haven't eaten any food at ER for years - over priced and poor selection on offer.

PLEASE CHANGE THIS HIBS!! IT'S BEEN POOR FOR TOO LONG!

chasitup
19-11-2015, 02:05 PM
100% yes.

bod
19-11-2015, 02:09 PM
why bains ?
why not mcgills pies ?

Oscar T Grouch
19-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Love Bains pies and bridies. Would be happy to buy these at ER. (Can't vote as on my phone).

iwasthere1972
19-11-2015, 02:32 PM
I normally make my own sausage rolls the morning of the match and scoff them at half time. I then know what's in them and they are cheaper than anything comparable at Easter Road. Also don't have to queue.

Simples.

jdships
19-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Haven't eaten any food at ER for years - over priced and poor selection on offer.

PLEASE CHANGE THIS HIBS!! IT'S BEEN POOR FOR TOO LONG!

That's it for me too :thumbsup:

LancashireHibby
19-11-2015, 02:42 PM
I normally make my own sausage rolls the morning of the match and scoff them at half time. I then know what's in them and they are cheaper than anything comparable at Easter Road. Also don't have to queue.

Simples.

Fancy setting up a stall outside the East Stand?

iwasthere1972
19-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Fancy setting up a stall outside the East Stand?

My soup is to die for as well. A bit like the pies at Easter Road. :wink:

adhibs
19-11-2015, 02:49 PM
No. Still wouldnt buy one, not as great as there made out

mutley
19-11-2015, 02:53 PM
I can't answer this yet until I try one, but I am guessing that they can't be as bad as the ones we already get at ER

iwasthere1972
19-11-2015, 02:57 PM
The last time I bought a mince pie at Easter Road was probably the mid eighties. What exactly is in the mince pies that are currently on offer. Is it still a lump of some hard unrecognisable stuff encased in something that a crocodile would have trouble biting into?

Can't believe that I ate five of them at one match. I obviously had no taste forty years ago.

staunchhibby
19-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Take my own pies made by boghall butchers

Drumlanrig
19-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Commentator on Hibs TV the other night, was stating that the new hibs pies were fantastic and that he had no problem reversing a couple down his neck! (hibs have taken over the catering??)

He wasn't sure if the new pies had found their way down to the hungry masses though?

Bostonhibby
19-11-2015, 03:02 PM
The last time I bought a mince pie at Easter Road was probably the mid eighties. What exactly is in the mince pies that are currently on offer. Is it still a lump of some hard unrecognisable stuff encased in something that a crocodile would have trouble biting into?

Can't believe that I ate five of them at one match. I obviously had no taste forty years ago.

Wallpaper paste and sawdust mixed together, microwaved to 500 degrees Celcius then encased in cardboard, you could soften the whole lot down a bit with a polystyrene cup full of recycled engine oil sold as Bovril.

Macaroon bar and spearmint chewing gum for pudding.:wink:

AndyM_1875
19-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Wallpaper paste and sawdust mixed together, microwaved to 500 degrees Celcius then encased in cardboard, you could soften the whole lot down a bit with a polystyrene cup full of recycled engine oil sold as Bovril.

Macaroon bar and spearmint chewing gum for pudding.:wink:

The fuel of champions!:greengrin

Iggy Pope
19-11-2015, 03:07 PM

1. YES

2.NO

Do you mean Baynes?
Let me know before I vote on this vital subject.

SausageSurprise
19-11-2015, 03:13 PM
Bains/Baynes at Stenhouse Cross? I had them recently and they are nowhere near as good as I remembered them when I was wee but they'd make a change I suppose

If you mean Bains/Baynes as in the chain that's sprung up all over the place then it's a definite yes

hibs0666
19-11-2015, 03:15 PM
Do you mean Baynes?

Nope it's the butchers at Stenhouse Crooss we are voting on. 😉

Bostonhibby
19-11-2015, 03:15 PM
The fuel of champions!:greengrin

:greengrin

The same thing works for pizza slices except you spread the ingredients onto the cardboard and put orange food colouring on.

HibbyKeith
19-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Voted yes but only as ANYTHING would be better that what we've got at the moment.

Key for me though really has to be the price.

£9.20 for two mince pies and two cups of bovril is shocking.( the quality of the food on offer makes this even more of a rip off.) I can currently get two Latte's and two bacon rolls for £4.00 from Greggs and they're making money selling at these prices!

As the weather turns for the worse I will sometimes have a half time hot drink but it really is grudged.

Both my son and I often have hot filled rolls from the takeaway van outside the stadium pre-match, so it's not a reluctance to spending money, Cash that hibs could have if it was sensibly prices inside the ground.

Lucius Apuleius
19-11-2015, 03:20 PM
My kids, 33 and 30 years old absolutely love the ER pizzas as they are.

LaMotta
19-11-2015, 03:27 PM
Voted yes but only as ANYTHING would be better that what we've got at the moment.

£9.20 for two mince pies and two cups of bovril is shocking.( the quality of the food on offer makes this even more of a rip off.) I can currently get two Latte's and two bacon rolls for £4.00 from Greggs and they're making money selling at these prices!

As the weather turns for the worse I will sometimes have a half time hot drink but it really is grudged.

Both my son and I often have hot filled rolls from the takeaway van outside the stadium pre-match, so it's not a reluctance to spending money, Cash that hibs could have if it was sensibly prices inside the ground.

Also you're lucky if you can get served quick enough at half time without missing the restart. I gave up at half time during the Dun Utd game.

On a Saturday you can nip out at half time and go to the takeaway van these days!

scoopyboy
19-11-2015, 03:31 PM
Voted yes blindly on the assumption they cannae be any worse.

Best food I have tasted in years at the footy is the bridies at East End Park.

My_Wife_Camille
19-11-2015, 03:34 PM
If it's the Stenhouse Cross Bains then aye! If it's the other lot Baynes then I'm no bothered

SausageSurprise
19-11-2015, 03:35 PM
My kids, 33 and 30 years old absolutely love the ER pizzas as they are.

The pizzas remind me of the ones we had to make at school that was basically a heel from a half loaf with tomato puree and a bit cheese sprinkled over the top and are drier than a ryvita

Either they've changed them over the years or I've been brainwashed by Pizza Hut because they are bowfin now

iwasthere1972
19-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Also you're lucky if you can get served quick enough at half time without missing the restart. I gave up at half time during the Dun Utd game.

On a Saturday you can nip out at half time and go to the takeaway van these days!

I've heard of folk legging it round to Greggs for their half time scran and been back with more time to spare before kick off than they would have had if they had queued at ER. Better and cheaper food plus a wee bit exercise in the process.

BH Hibs
19-11-2015, 03:36 PM
As long as they're not £2:50 a pop

Golden Bear
19-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Where can I get a free sample?

Then I'll vote.

S4uzee
19-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Do people honestly take their own rolls/pies to the game? Never seen that before 😂

staunchhibby
19-11-2015, 04:46 PM
Yep i take my own pies.

pacorosssco
19-11-2015, 04:46 PM
Why not Storries?. Local business and the guy has a Hibs top on anytime Ive been in. A leith institution and good pies

Hibbyradge
19-11-2015, 04:49 PM
Bains are wonderful pies.

And he's a Hibby.

Alex Trager
19-11-2015, 04:51 PM
Do people honestly take their own rolls/pies to the game? Never seen that before [emoji23]

I've taken baines pies in on more than one occasion.

My answer would be a definitive yes but can't vote on my phone

iwasthere1972
19-11-2015, 04:53 PM
Do people honestly take their own rolls/pies to the game? Never seen that before 

:agree: I even take three sausage rolls for my brother but he's a hungry Horace and has normally tucked them away with his pre match pint(s) in the pub.

Pete
19-11-2015, 05:24 PM
Why not Storries?. Local business and the guy has a Hibs top on anytime Ive been in. A leith institution and good pies

Probably not big enough to cope. A problem Baines would also have.

Billy Whizz
19-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Nope it's the butchers at Stenhouse Crooss we are voting on. 😉

Think the pies for the store opposite Scotmid at Carrick knowe are just as good, particularly their Chicken Pies. Can't remember what it's called?

Baldy Foghorn
19-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Think the pies for the store opposite Scotmid at Carrick knowe are just as good, particularly their Chicken Pies. Can't remember what it's called?

Harry Simpsons?

Great bridies............

Hiber-nation
19-11-2015, 05:58 PM
Tried a curry pie at the start of the season and I can honestly say I've never tasted anything quite like it. Maybe I should have persisted further than one bite.... The only worse pie I've ever tasted was at Raith last season.

However I had a steak pie at the game the other night and it was very good.

Billy Whizz
19-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Harry Simpsons?

That's the place thanks

hibees 7062
19-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Bains are wonderful pies.

And he's a Hibby.

The whole family are . They offered to supply the pies at 50p each and Petrie wanted them cheaper . They couldn't do it as at 50p they were only covering costs

One Day
19-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Bains pies and bridies are the best around by a mile

Iggy Pope
19-11-2015, 06:16 PM
Nope it's the butchers at Stenhouse Crooss we are voting on. 

Thanks. Never had a pie out of Stenhouse so I'll abstain for now.
If the family are Hibbies and an acknowledged pie taster like Hibbyradge approves, it sounds good to me though.

H18S NX
19-11-2015, 06:17 PM
I buy a dozen Bains pies every week,i would love to see them at E.R.On the plus side,the Bains guys are s/t holders.

Pete
19-11-2015, 06:25 PM
Harry Simpsons?

Weigh a ton.

Mango Man
19-11-2015, 06:27 PM
If we could get Bains to do it then that would be our best signing this year :agree:

SausageSurprise
19-11-2015, 06:28 PM
Do people honestly take their own rolls/pies to the game? Never seen that before 😂

In the old East there used to be a guy who brought a pre heated half cooked chicken that you can buy in Asda and Tesco and made rolls up at the game

It smelt lovely

tamig
19-11-2015, 07:41 PM

They do excellent steak and gravy pies. My favourite pies are from Ian Fraser at Craigentinny though. A fabulous selection and the meat is top notch.

monktonharp
19-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Bains, at the cross are exceedingly good pies. however, I do occasionally pop intae the Scotmid at Porty, and get a couple of pies there and buy from them instead of the local Greggs or Baynes on Porty high st. Scotmid pies are braw! and buy 2, get them for 80p each!

Billy Whizz
19-11-2015, 07:59 PM
Bains, at the cross are exceedingly good pies. however, I do occasionally pop intae the Scotmid at Porty, and get a couple of pies there and buy from them instead of the local Greggs or Baynes on Porty high st. Scotmid pies are braw! and buy 2, get them for 80p each!

Scotmid have a range of different in store bakers, dependent on their location, eg Stuart's/ Stephens etc. Who do they have in store in Porty?

Albanian Hibs
19-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Storries please.

hibs0666
19-11-2015, 08:26 PM

There was a wee bakers there that I used to go to at lunchtime from school but that was 30 years ago. Is that place still there?

Billy Whizz
19-11-2015, 08:30 PM
There was a wee bakers there that I used to go to at lunchtime from school but that was 30 years ago. Is that place still there?

No idea, I live the other side of town

trev the hat
19-11-2015, 08:33 PM
I've a job in Carricknowe tomorrow, Bains it is 🤔

erin go bragh
19-11-2015, 08:33 PM
The steak bridies at the Pars ground are wonderful , it's a workout lifting them to your mouth ( massive ) the old pies in the east were full of grease but very eatable in my teenage years :) can't vote on my phone but would have voted for Bains

GGTTH

SausageSurprise
19-11-2015, 08:47 PM
The greasier the pie the better. The ones at Tannadice used to be dripping wet

mca
19-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Take my own pies made by boghall butchers

One Of The Best.. I Have had.. !!! We Often stop there on our trips from Devon..

The greasier the pie the better. The ones at Tannadice used to be "dripping wet"

And - That's What a Pie Should be Like... :agree:

Winston Ingram
19-11-2015, 09:15 PM
At least 4 people on this thread have never had a Bains pie

Hiber-nation
19-11-2015, 09:30 PM
At least 4 people on this thread have never had a Bains pie

I'm one. How do you know like?!

SausageSurprise
19-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Bains pie aren't nearly as good as they used to be

NadeAteMyLunch!
19-11-2015, 10:03 PM

Totally agree. Price is key. I'm not expecting gourmet grub. I'm not even bothered if the pies are average, it's the fact that we are getting so massively ripped off for the average food on offer. It's unnecessary. Time for a rethink and to be a bit more creative. Dunfermline have a baker supplying them don't they? Far cheaper and far, far better quality

Andy74
19-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Just about every away ground have decent grub for less cost.

I think we try too hard to have some fast food looking set up. Maybe the smaller suppliers that have some quality can't cater for the bigger scale with us?

portycabbage
19-11-2015, 10:15 PM
In the old East there used to be a guy who brought a pre heated half cooked chicken that you can buy in Asda and Tesco and made rolls up at the game

It smelt lovely

Someone should do that, but fully cook the chicken this time.:wink:

Can't remember who makes them, but the steak pies out of the Morrison St bakery are my favourite.

FranckSuzy
19-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Someone should do that, but fully cook the chicken this time.:wink:

Can't remember who makes them, but the steak pies out of the Morrison St bakery are my favourite.

Oven Fresh Bakery IIRC?

Alex Trager
19-11-2015, 10:27 PM
Bains pie aren't nearly as good as they used to be

Nothing is :(

Alex Trager
19-11-2015, 10:29 PM
Just about every away ground have decent grub for less cost.

I think we try too hard to have some fast food looking set up. Maybe the smaller suppliers that have some quality can't cater for the bigger scale with us?

Agree with this.

If bains genuinely did offer Petrie them for 50p Hibs would do well to sell them at 1.50.
And in saying that if it is possible, covering costs etc id give Bains 75p out of that 1.50.

That is a reasonable price for a very decent pie.

The best I have had in Edinburgh. Matched only by Simpsons, however the lies I have had from Simpsons are really small

SausageSurprise
19-11-2015, 10:44 PM
The thing is with the grounds in the first division the pies come from local bakers or butchers whereas with us, Rangers and most premier league grounds they are mass produced. Made donkeys ago and been lying in a freezer or something for months on end

jgl07
20-11-2015, 01:57 AM
Remember Mason's Famous pies at Easter Road twenty years or so back.

They were produced by the Pieman himself Chris Robinson.

Dashing Bob S
20-11-2015, 02:22 AM
The steak bridies at the Pars ground are wonderful , it's a workout lifting them to your mouth ( massive ) the old pies in the east were full of grease but very eatable in my teenage years :) can't vote on my phone but would have voted for Bains

GGTTH

Were. Sadly discontinued a couple of seasons ago. Probably on the grounds that weren't crap enough for football fans.

LeithSqualk
20-11-2015, 06:30 AM
I find their pies have too much gravy, now that wouldn't be a problem in the house with a plate. Try eating one standing in the concourse. Mince down my scarf. Also I don't like the kidney they have in their steak pies.

McGils' pies are equally as good, he owns a bakery who makes his pie cases and fills them at his butchers.

Greenworld
20-11-2015, 07:58 AM
Yes from me and big John that runs the shop is s Hibby

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Greenworld
20-11-2015, 07:59 AM
Simpsons on saughton road north also make great pies.

heretoday
20-11-2015, 08:40 AM
Remember Mason's Famous pies at Easter Road twenty years or so back.

They were produced by the Pieman himself Chris Robinson.

Are you sure? I didn't think he had any connection. Masons were/are wonderful pies. From Newhaven.

Last Minute
20-11-2015, 09:16 AM

GGTTH

They still have them, and your right they are great and plenty steak in them, they have a contract with Stephen's the Bakers as do all the co-op's now. Come on Hibs get it sorted eh

Since90+2
20-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Do Bain's actually do Scotch pies? Everytime I have had them they are mince pies , filled with actual mince , a different beast altogether to a Scotch pie.

givescotlandfreedom
20-11-2015, 09:55 AM
I don't want to disrespect the OP or this thread at all but I love that as fans we're more worried about what we can eat at the game than our club going down the toilet. Things are looking up :)

snedzuk
20-11-2015, 10:08 AM
If theyre on a roll, count me in (pie on a roll available at alloa tmrw)

Cod Boy
20-11-2015, 10:53 AM
Yes from me and big John that runs the shop is s Hibby

I spoke to John this morning and told him about this thread he had seen it last night

HIBEES 4 LIFE
20-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Oven Fresh Bakery IIRC?

Nope, thats the original bakery of Mark McGill and his famous pies

stoneyburn hibs
20-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Bains pies at ER would be tremendous.

Beefster
20-11-2015, 11:50 AM
I had a balti pie at the Livingston game and it was grand.

tamig
20-11-2015, 12:59 PM
Are you sure? I didn't think he had any connection. Masons were/are wonderful pies. From Newhaven.

Yes Masons provided the ER pies for a period a while ago. Maybe a bit further back than 20 years though.

iwasthere1972
20-11-2015, 01:11 PM
I don't want to disrespect the OP or this thread at all but I love that as fans we're more worried about what we can eat at the game than our club going down the toilet. Things are looking up :)

Now you're being daft.

Hibee87
20-11-2015, 01:19 PM
The argument is a moot point though, bains pies are nice, as other other local bakers. But the contract is signed and hibs have no input as to where the catering company purchase the pies. To bring it inhouse would probably be an uneeded cost and hassel for the club when a company will give you xxxx amount of £ a year and do it all for you.

The food doesnt really stop anyone going, at least if it did it would be a ridiculous arguement and I think Leeane and co have more inportant things on their plate at the minute than the catering.

maybe in a year or so when the contract is up for tender they can make some recomendations on our behalf, but the company who supply hibs are the same company who cover over 40 other teams and those 40 other teams will more than likely use the same supplier so we cant be that bad compaed to elsewhere.

My one and only gripe is not the quality, you sometimes get decent pie sometimes not, happens everywhere, but the price is the main issue IMO.

TrinityHibs
20-11-2015, 01:34 PM

He didn't. I knew the guy who bought the shop. He was a good Hibby. Sadly he has passed away but I'm fairly sure his family kept it

tamig
20-11-2015, 01:34 PM
The argument is a moot point though, bains pies are nice, as other other local bakers. But the contract is signed and hibs have no input as to where the catering company purchase the pies. To bring it inhouse would probably be an uneeded cost and hassel for the club when a company will give you xxxx amount of £ a year and do it all for you.

The food doesnt really stop anyone going, at least if it did it would be a ridiculous arguement and I think Leeane and co have more inportant things on their plate at the minute than the catering.

maybe in a year or so when the contract is up for tender they can make some recomendations on our behalf, but the company who supply hibs are the same company who cover over 40 other teams and those 40 other teams will more than likely use the same supplier so we cant be that bad compaed to elsewhere.

My one and only gripe is not the quality, you sometimes get decent pie sometimes not, happens everywhere, but the price is the main issue IMO.

I think you're maybe being a bit blaise about the catering. A lot of folk use the kiosks at every game. It's an added expense and ridiculous pricing, poor quality and poor service will all leave a bad taste. It's something the club needs to get right. Sure it won't affect the attendance figures much - if at all - but it can be a good stream of additional income and improve the "matchday experience".

itslegaltender
20-11-2015, 02:39 PM
Mcgills at Currie who has recently bought the Malones Bakery site has the best pies by far.

Dashing Bob S
20-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Yes Masons provided the ER pies for a period a while ago. Maybe a bit further back than 20 years though.

You even got one for free if you correctly told the pie seller the age of your grandmother.

Jim44
20-11-2015, 03:29 PM

You even got one for free if you correctly told the pie seller the age of your grandmother.

I remember Masons stuff from over 55 ago. The pies were renowned all over the city but my favourite was the kids' bargain penny bag of 'cuttings' from the edges of the big trays of vanilla slices. Happy days. :agree:

tamig
20-11-2015, 04:01 PM

Lol - and shook their hand in a specific way too.

Jim44
20-11-2015, 04:53 PM
I remember we used to get Masons pies for lunch on Saturdays. They tasted great but I always thought that there was a helluva fat running out of them. My mother used to tell me it was just gravy :rolleyes:

thebausburst
20-11-2015, 04:57 PM

1. YES

2.NO

100% YES, they are the best bar none - end off!:not worth

Carheenlea
20-11-2015, 06:43 PM
For all the complaints about how dreadful the catering is at Easter Road, it doesn't seem to make the queues any shorter. I get the occasional pie pre match and have never found them to be too bad at all. I've never bothered attempting to buy anything at half time due to the queues. A few fans complaining on a Hibs.net post regarding pie and pizza qualities of lack of, look to be vastly outnumbered by satisfied customers who happily queue for considerable time to purchase food from the kiosks.

Brightside
20-11-2015, 06:48 PM
For all the complaints about how dreadful the catering is at Easter Road, it doesn't seem to make the queues any shorter. I get the occasional pie pre match and have never found them to be too bad at all. I've never bothered attempting to buy anything at half time due to the queues. A few fans complaining on a Hibs.net post regarding pie and pizza qualities of lack of, look to be vastly outnumbered by satisfied customers who happily queue for considerable time to purchase food from the kiosks.

satisfied? Its the only food available - there is no choice!!

BoomtownHibees
20-11-2015, 06:50 PM

That wouldn't matter though if it's as bad as some are making out

Carheenlea
20-11-2015, 06:56 PM

There is a choice - take it or leave it. If it really was that bad very few would use the kiosks. i suppose it is a difficult thing to gauge, when you have a lot of posters on this site criticising the fare, then you see large numbers piling in to the same fare on matchdays. If I thought it was crap I simply wouldn't buy anything.

Brooster
20-11-2015, 08:00 PM
Why not give some business to a local piemaker....from the ER or Leith area?

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2015, 08:28 PM
Why not give some business to a local piemaker....from the ER or Leith area?

Is there anyone able to supply on the scale required?

erin go bragh
20-11-2015, 09:36 PM
There is a choice - take it or leave it. If it really was that bad very few would use the kiosks. i suppose it is a difficult thing to gauge, when you have a lot of posters on this site criticising the fare, then you see large numbers piling in to the same fare on matchdays. If I thought it was crap I simply wouldn't buy anything.
I try to make the match day experience as enjoyable as possible for my kids . So that means getting them something hot at the game [winter ] during the better weather i bring in some stuff from greggs . Granted the food is over priced but the pizzas are quite tasty imo
People buy food because its the only option there .

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2015, 09:42 PM
Granted I have never tried one bit I am a bit of a Pizza aficionado :greengrin the ones I see people passing with at ER look dire.

Winston Ingram
20-11-2015, 10:00 PM
I'm one. How do you know like?!

At the time of posting, 4 people had said no on the poll

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2015, 10:04 PM
The whole family are . They offered to supply the pies at 50p each and Petrie wanted them cheaper . They couldn't do it as at 50p they were only covering costs

Why would any business offer to supply something with no profit being made from it? Doesn't make any sense at all, Hibby or not as a successful businessman I would struggle to believe that Bains made that offer.

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2015, 10:07 PM

:agree: Sits in the West Upper

Sergey
20-11-2015, 10:12 PM
:agree: Sits in the West Upper Crust Stand

There's the new stand sponsor right there!

Jack
21-11-2015, 08:53 AM
:agree: Sits in the West Upper

Have you seen him eating a pie?

Did he buy it or did he sneak one in that he'd made earlier?

FromTheCapital
21-11-2015, 10:09 AM
I've had a steak pie and a bovril at the last two home games and been happy with the standard of both to be honest. Pie was terrific :aok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
21-11-2015, 10:35 AM
I've just been there this morning. Absolutely awesome after a freezing schools game at saughton :aok:

whiskyhibby
21-11-2015, 10:40 AM

1. YES

2.NO

Why no option of provider?

PatHead
21-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Think before anyone is selected there should be a taste testing. Any volunteers?

Scott Allan Key
21-11-2015, 11:06 AM
I'm all for a good pie supplier. I haven't tried Bains but having tried to make hot water crust pastry myself (beginners luck) and attempted a filling I appreciate how fine a craft it is. It'd be nice to see some other businesses have their fare served at Easter Rd, not just on hospitality.

Having a variety of food would reflect Edinburgh and Leith's wide social mix. I know the owner of Hanams/Pomegranate/Lailas, Jamal and his family are massive Hibees and their kebabs and bread taste amazing.

SausageSurprise
21-11-2015, 11:10 AM
It's refreshing that this is the only thing we can seem to moan about!! Who does the best pies haha

It's a wonder you can't get sausage rolls. I'd be well up for a bit of that

hibsbollah
21-11-2015, 11:13 AM
I'm all for a good pie supplier. I haven't tried Bains but having tried to make hot water crust pastry myself (beginners luck) and attempted a filling I appreciate how fine a craft it is. It'd be nice to see some other businesses have their fare served at Easter Rd, not just on hospitality.

Having a variety of food would reflect Edinburgh and Leith's wide social mix. I know the owner of Hanams/Pomegranate/Lailas, Jamal and his family are massive Hibees and their kebabs and bread taste amazing.

Never knew he was a Hibby? Been there a couple of times, absolutely outstanding portions of barbecue chicken and the shisha pipe afterwards wasn't bad either:fez:

Scott Allan Key
21-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Never knew he was a Hibby? Been there a couple of times, absolutely outstanding portions of barbecue chicken and the shisha pipe afterwards wasn't bad either:fez:

Yes, he is. I can't fault the mixed grill and lavash bread. I've been around the kebab world and Jamal is in the top two alongside a truck stop in Morocco that may have been a mirage anyway. Would be nice to have a shisha area too, which wouldn't be taken advantage of by our stoner fans of course.

Ayrshire Hibbie
21-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Import the Killie pie

Silky
21-11-2015, 01:23 PM
I would do away with pies tbh. I think they're mince!

hibsbollah
21-11-2015, 03:01 PM
I've been around the kebab world

:faf: Outstanding mate, this phrase really made me smile. You should get a tattoo.

225-EasterRd
21-11-2015, 06:11 PM
At Alloa today, poor ground but top marks to their catering team hot drinks tea coffee £1 bovril £1.50, burger £1.50 cheese burger £2 both coffee and cheese burger were great. Dont usualy buy anything but due to the cold bought 3 coffees for mates and due to the price thought it would be rude not to buy 3 cheese burgers.🍵🍵🍵🍔🍔🍔 and still got £1change from my tenner

Big L
21-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Do you mean Baynes?

NAW!! BAINS at Stenhouse Cross, I know a guy that ate 11 at one sittin, we have to go wi them.

monktonharp
21-11-2015, 09:42 PM
got a braw hot pie today at the East End Bowling club in Alloa, no bad at £1 a pop. also the wee wummin was selling us stovies at £1.50 and help yersel tae a slice of buttered bread son! Almost like a different country, nevermind county. the prices were so down to earth and suited to our needs. basic stuff, but affordable and honest.

Golden Bear
21-11-2015, 09:55 PM
Import the Killie pie

Aldis Killie pie is a poor substitute for the real McCoy Killie pie on sale at the fitba. Or maybe its a case of being totally sober when buying at Aldis!!

RyeSloan
21-11-2015, 09:58 PM
The argument is a moot point though, bains pies are nice, as other other local bakers. But the contract is signed and hibs have no input as to where the catering company purchase the pies. To bring it inhouse would probably be an uneeded cost and hassel for the club when a company will give you xxxx amount of £ a year and do it all for you. The food doesnt really stop anyone going, at least if it did it would be a ridiculous arguement and I think Leeane and co have more inportant things on their plate at the minute than the catering. maybe in a year or so when the contract is up for tender they can make some recomendations on our behalf, but the company who supply hibs are the same company who cover over 40 other teams and those 40 other teams will more than likely use the same supplier so we cant be that bad compaed to elsewhere. My one and only gripe is not the quality, you sometimes get decent pie sometimes not, happens everywhere, but the price is the main issue IMO.

That's the attitude the club has had for far too long....'just good enough' shouldn't be good enough anymore.

A bit of thought and effort by the club into the catering it provides for its thousands of supporters shouldn't be too much to ask for. Especially as there is a huge amount of goodwill to be had and that there is every possibility that done correctly the supporter can get a better experience and the club more revenue.

Seems clear to me that there is a not insignificant amount of revenue being lost. Better food at smarter prices sold more effectively can be a win win so why not put some time and effort into it.

PatHead
21-11-2015, 10:18 PM
That's the attitude the club has had for far too long....'just good enough' shouldn't be good enough anymore.

A bit of thought and effort by the club into the catering it provides for its thousands of supporters shouldn't be too much to ask for. Especially as there is a huge amount of goodwill to be had and that there is every possibility that done correctly the supporter can get a better experience and the club more revenue.

Seems clear to me that there is a not insignificant amount of revenue being lost. Better food at smarter prices sold more effectively can be a win win so why not put some time and effort into it.

There has been a lot of time and effort gone into by the club in the last year or so into catering. The hospitality and BTG have gone in house. Things will evolve over the next year and it will improve both in the areas mentioned and in the kiosks.

HibbyKeith
21-11-2015, 10:21 PM
just a side note on the back of my £9.20 for 2 bovril and 2 pies post.

Today away at Alloa I bought 3 Burger rolls, 2 cups of Tea and 1 coffee for £7.50 :wink:

Bloody nice too!

SausageSurprise
21-11-2015, 10:48 PM
just a side note on the back of my £9.20 for 2 bovril and 2 pies post.

Today away at Alloa I bought 3 Burger rolls, 2 cups of Tea and 1 coffee for £7.50 :wink:

Bloody nice too!

So you went to Alloa and never got a pie roll?? I'm lost for words

Lol

hibsbollah
21-11-2015, 11:05 PM

:top marks