PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: EDDIE TURNBULL AWARDED ARCTIC STAR

RSS Bot
18-11-2015, 04:30 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/5872)

Tom Hart RIP
18-11-2015, 04:48 PM
It's impossible to imagine living with the danger these brave men faced.
I had the privilege of meeting Eddie on a few occasions and he had an aura about him.
It's interesting that he credits his love of teamwork to his days in the Royal Navy

Mr White
18-11-2015, 04:51 PM
That's a fitting tribute to Ned's part in ww2. I think it's fair to say he was a pretty hardy determined character on and off the pitch and his wartime experience probably played a big part in making him so.

Hibby Gav
18-11-2015, 05:11 PM
these people were a class apart....we were lucky to have them then..and lucky we still do in these times...

ggtth

superfurryhibby
18-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Good to see that Eddie's family have got the recognition his bravery merited. Some story, not many footballers could match his achievements on and off the pitch.

It says a lot about the character of the man, making the transition to professional football after the war( when he was into his 20's ), with virtually no experience between boys club and making the transition to become a lynchpin in what would develop into one of the finest teams to have graced a Scottish pitch. Almost unimaginable.

A true legend, respect.

Leithenhibby
18-11-2015, 07:53 PM
I recall as an apprentice sitting at lunchtime listening to my tradesman Jackie Lawrie, (drank in The Anchor) and how he told the stories from that dreadful time. Myself and the other apprentices would sit around like small school kids listening to Jackie, tell his tales, while we drank tea and ate our corned beef piece.

Looking back, we probably didn't appreciate what we were hearing, as we knew if we could get Jackie to tell war stories we would most definitely get a longer lunch break. Aw, the things you did as a 17 year old, shameful :not worth

As Hibby Gav, says "these people were a class apart"

Respect to each and every one of them.

Islington Hibs
18-11-2015, 07:59 PM
I had no idea Eddie Turnbull had served with such distinction. There was probably no more dangerous, frightening and unpleasant roll in the war than serving with the Royal Navy in the Arctic. I was on a tour of HMS Belfast recently,which served in the Arctic and the guide said the one solace the sailors had was if the ship went down they would freeze to death within a minute thus it would be over quickly. Turnbull was clearly a great man.

Mr White
18-11-2015, 08:09 PM
I had no idea Eddie Turnbull had served with such distinction. There was probably no more dangerous, frightening and unpleasant roll in the war than serving with the Royal Navy in the Arctic. I was on a tour of HMS Belfast recently,which served in the Arctic and the guide said the one solace the sailors had was if the ship went down they would freeze to death within a minute thus it would be over quickly. Turnbull was clearly a great man.

Get his book. It's a real insight into his character and a great read.

Bostonhibby
18-11-2015, 08:10 PM
What a hero, after going through that no wonder he found it so easy to excel at football.

Respect.

Tom Hart RIP
18-11-2015, 08:28 PM
The sailors were given the choice of 6d (two and a half pence) extra per day or a tot of rum. Guess what Ned chose?

Carheenlea
18-11-2015, 08:29 PM
After reading about the conditions he endured on those Arctic convoys, I always wondered what Eddie`s views were on the modern day practice of players wearing gloves as soon as there is a slight chill in the air. I suspect those views would not be printable on a family forum!
As Mr White said, Eddie Turnbull`s book really is a terrific read.

Scorrie
18-11-2015, 08:34 PM
A fantastic fiction book on the Arctic Conveys is HMS Ulysses by Alastair Maclean. Mind the first time I read this, made a huge impact. Really good read

southsider
19-11-2015, 03:23 PM
Perhaps Mr Turnbull's family would care to collect his Artic Star on the pitch. Then we could have a real Armed Forces Day from a Club that always pays its way and who has never cheated HMRC, unlike others in this very city and 45 miles west.

Famous Fiver
19-11-2015, 03:44 PM
A minute's applause, anyone?

The man and his family deserve it, and how!