PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's game

Billy Whizz
16-11-2015, 07:46 PM
ROI v Bosnia about to kick off, 1-1 from 1st leg.
Think this is going to be a tough one for Ireland.

SteveHFC
16-11-2015, 07:48 PM
Hopefully a Bosnia win.

Scorrie
16-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Still spewing that Scotland missed out on this 😡

MWHIBBIES
16-11-2015, 08:08 PM
Still spewing that Scotland missed out on this Don't be, Bosnia would hammer Scotland.

cabbageandribs1875
16-11-2015, 08:09 PM
never a penalty, the bosnians are losing the head a bit

Golden Bear
16-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Ridiculous penalty award. The luck of the Irish strikes again.

Sergey
16-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Kingstonian 1-1 Dorchester in the FA Trophy

blackpoolhibs
16-11-2015, 08:13 PM
No mention of Terry Henry now.

Sammy7nil
16-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Don't be, Bosnia would hammer Scotland.

Yeah they are a fantastic :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Agnes Gordon
16-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Hopefully a Bosnia win.
Why do you say that?

Mr White
16-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Why do you say that?

Maybe he's half bosnian? :greengrin

I'm half irish so **** him :greengrin

CorrieHibs
16-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Don't be, Bosnia would hammer Scotland.

Don't think so

Sammy7nil
16-11-2015, 08:22 PM
Kingstonian 1-1 Dorchester in the FA Trophy

2-1

Agnes Gordon
16-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Maybe he's half bosnian? :greengrin

I'm half irish so **** him :greengrin

I'm fully Irish but was wondering why he said that maybe he thought he was on a zombie board?

Sammy7nil
16-11-2015, 08:28 PM
I'm fully Irish but was wondering why he said that maybe he thought he was on a zombie board?

Maybe he just wants Bosnia to win :confused: does there have to be a reason?

3pm
16-11-2015, 08:28 PM

Aye, I am sure the Irish FA will make a payment to Bosnia tomorrow.

Agnes Gordon
16-11-2015, 08:32 PM
Maybe he just wants Bosnia to win :confused: does there have to be a reason?

Yes always a reason why you favour one team over another

Billy Whizz
16-11-2015, 08:33 PM

Ok, can't stand mon and Keane

Sammy7nil
16-11-2015, 08:33 PM

Is that Lenny Henrys brother? :greengrin or Thiery's mate

Sammy7nil
16-11-2015, 08:35 PM

Yip u are probably right he may have been there on holiday or likes one of their players Dzeko

Agnes Gordon
16-11-2015, 08:43 PM

Ok Billy

Billy Whizz
16-11-2015, 08:44 PM
Ok Billy

Sorry Agnes, nothing against your nation

blackpoolhibs
16-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Is that Lenny Henrys brother? :greengrin or Thiery's mate

Im in Britain, so i say it in English. :greengrin

steakbake
16-11-2015, 08:59 PM

That's interesting. Why not? The Celtic connection?

JimBHibees
16-11-2015, 09:04 PM

Because Ireland knocked Scotland out and are torture to watch. Add Mcgeady and McCarthy so there are so many reasons. :greengrin

lyonhibs
16-11-2015, 09:04 PM
That's interesting. Why not? The Celtic connection?

Because Keane is a deconstructed thug of a man. MoN I don't really mind either way

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-11-2015, 09:10 PM
Why do you say that?

Perhaps he has had a bet on them.

lucky
16-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Scotland are no worse than any of these teams. Scotland look better going forward than both these teams. Clearly the qualifying campaign was a missed opportunity

lucky
16-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Game over 2-0

SteveHFC
16-11-2015, 09:14 PM
Well hopefully Ireland get pumped straight out of the group stages :aok:

Billy Whizz
16-11-2015, 09:15 PM
Game over 2-0

Looks like it. Wonder if Roy Keane will go to the finals or cause havoc in the build up. He has previous for this

Mr White
16-11-2015, 09:16 PM
Well hopefully Ireland get pumped straight out of the group stages :aok:

Most likely will. Still the fans will get a good trip out of it at least :greengrin

Sergey
16-11-2015, 09:17 PM
221 at Kingsmeadow given as the official attendance. Twice that number in the ground.

greenpaper55
16-11-2015, 09:17 PM
Shows you where we are as a footballing nation, the only team from the British isles not to qualify. I suppose Doncaster and the rest of the crew will still be there for years to come even after such an abject failure by Scotland.

Gordy M
16-11-2015, 09:19 PM
Just shows what a strange group we were in....ROI failed to beat their 2 main rivals, us and poland, in 4 games, losing 2...and looks like they will still qualify!?

Mr White
16-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Just shows what a strange group we were in....ROI failed to beat their 2 main rivals, us and poland, in 4 games, losing 2...and looks like they will still qualify!?

4 points off germany and 6 from Georgia made up for that though. Agree it was a strange group with some unexpected results.

CorrieHibs
16-11-2015, 09:32 PM
It was crazy group with some strange results. Credit to ROI, they grinded it out and took 4 points off the Germans.

Baldy Foghorn
16-11-2015, 09:38 PM
It was crazy group with some strange results. Credit to ROI, they grinded it out and took 4 points off the Germans.

Dublin could be lively tonight...........

Agnes Gordon
16-11-2015, 09:38 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::flag:

NadeAteMyLunch!
16-11-2015, 09:39 PM
The luck Ireland carried through this tournament is ridiculous. Massive missed opportunity from Scotland

Sir David Gray
16-11-2015, 09:44 PM

Aye of course the only reason you would want a team to beat Ireland would be if you are a Sevco fan. :rolleyes:

Agnes Gordon
16-11-2015, 09:45 PM
Hopefully a Bosnia win.

Shattered for you:na na:

Spike Mandela
16-11-2015, 09:50 PM
Strachan must be kicking himself......scotland are a better team than republic of Ireland.

high bee
16-11-2015, 09:51 PM
Shame Watmore didn't have the same impact for us.

Never mind, Hertz development team suffered a defeat by their favourite scoreline tonight, they lost 6-2 at Partick

Irish Dave
16-11-2015, 10:00 PM
Erin go Bragh well done Ireland ....North and South ......well done both MONs. Shame scotland never made it but haha to the hibernian haters on here

Mr White
16-11-2015, 10:03 PM
Erin go Bragh well done Ireland ....North and South ......well done both MONs. Shame scotland never made it but haha to the hibernian haters on here

Indeed :greengrin

steakbake
16-11-2015, 10:04 PM
Aye of course the only reason you would want a team to beat Ireland would be if you are a Sevco fan. :rolleyes:

Or had a wee thing against Ireland - which isn't unheard of, even outside of Ibrox.

Anyhow, glad they've made it. Two in a row now. We are nowhere. They have an even smaller domestic competition than we do... wonder what the difference is?

Carheenlea
16-11-2015, 10:05 PM
My wife is Irish and comes from a very large family who will take great delight in rubbing in the fact that Scotland are not going to be there next year. I was rooting for Bosnia tonight and now have to hope that they get pumped out in the group stages.

cabbageandribs1875
16-11-2015, 10:09 PM

and don't even mention anything about the rumour that harps are being installed above each turnstile at ER

:eek::panic: :greengrin

Dunbar Hibee
16-11-2015, 10:12 PM
Well done Ireland. Didn't bottle it like Scotland did.

AL-Qaholik
16-11-2015, 10:13 PM
We really are a shambles of a footballing nation.
Still, we get what we deserve for tolerating Doncaster & co. for this long...

Sir David Gray
16-11-2015, 10:18 PM
So that's now every nation in the British Isles going to France next year for Euro 2016 except one.

If someone had asked me which nation that would be at the start of qualifying, I would have lumped a fortune on it being Scotland.

Scott Allan Key
16-11-2015, 10:18 PM

And having administrations that concentrate all their energies on the two clubs who really have nothing to do with Ireland! An integrated strategy is not possible to improve football quality, competition and interest.

Thecat23
16-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Every one bar us then... Yeah I'm delighted we kept Strachan on, more of Scott Brown, Hutton, D. Fletcher etc.

We won't make the WC finals because our whole system is seriously flawed! The proof... Never making a finals tournament since 1998.

Well done to the rest for making it. You get out the game what you put in and we are simply not good enough.

Chip shop Joe
16-11-2015, 10:39 PM
Don't really agree with anyone having a go at having a go at Strachan or Scotland. I think he has improved Scotland a huge amount from the mess they were in. Yes we did not qualify and that was his task but Stubbs's job last year was to get us promoted which he did not do but he has improved us just like Strachan has Scotland.

Hugely disappointed that we did not qualify but as others have said our luck was certainly not in and we had one poor game against Georgia and that cost us dear. Very small margins.

FWIW I think Scotland are a better team than ROI but they qualified and we didnae so best of luck to them.

Kato
16-11-2015, 10:53 PM
Shows you where we are as a footballing nation, the only team from the British isles not to qualify. I suppose Doncaster and the rest of the crew will still be there for years to come even after such an abject failure by Scotland.

I hope all the home nations inc ROI do really well and rub the SFA, SPLF and any other set of idiots who claim to "run" our game noses in it.

All the press recently about "re-vamping" the game is hot air. We've been wafted with it many times over the years and nothing is actually done. Ernie Walkers Think Tank was supposed to solve all the problems and it turned into a junket with all it's main findings not only ignored but actions taken which were totally the opposite of it's recommendations.

Nothing will change whilst the ruling body sees it's main aim as cow-towing to the OF.

Scouse Hibee
16-11-2015, 10:56 PM
Nice to see ROI joining the rest of us, well almost the rest of us :greengrin

mca
16-11-2015, 10:56 PM

They All Smell Like " Blatter "... Corruption Stinks !!!

greenpaper55
16-11-2015, 11:13 PM
I hope all the home nations inc ROI do really well and rub the SFA, SPLF and any other set of idiots who claim to "run" our game noses in it.

All the press recently about "re-vamping" the game is hot air. We've been wafted with it many times over the years and nothing is actually done. Ernie Walkers Think Tank was supposed to solve all the problems and it turned into a junket with all it's main findings not only ignored but actions taken which were totally the opposite of it's recommendations.

Nothing will change whilst the ruling body sees it's main aim as cow-towing to the OF.

Scotland used to produce players that could grace any league in Europe but that seems like a distant memory now, personally i think we started going downhill when we got rid of the 18 team league and changed to the "better" 10 team league !. Sure there were meaningless games but i think you could say the same for any league but it meant you could blood young players with much less pressure than we have nowadays. As an example i bet you Dundee United will bring in a fair few experienced players from other leagues as the pressure to escape the drop is unthinkable, in a larger league they would be nearer mid table and maybe they could stick with the younger Scottish players. Rant over but if the larger league was so bad how come Celtic won the European cup with eleven Scottish players if my memory serves me right ?.

CallumLaidlaw
16-11-2015, 11:20 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/16/6a321f2eb53a9ab3fc038b002bd1f7b4.jpg

[emoji23] gits

Dashing Bob S
16-11-2015, 11:20 PM
Well done Ireland. Didn't bottle it like Scotland did.

Nutshell. Scotland lacked the hee-haws to dig in when it counted. Would probably have shat it against Bosnia. A criminally dull Ireland will add nothing to the tournament, but Scotland's glass-jawed joke of a team would add even less.

steakbake
17-11-2015, 12:26 AM
Our lack of appearances at major finals - wonder if it coincides with years of financial doping and the perspective that there are only two clubs worth playing for and they could pay handsomely for overseas talent...

Lucius Apuleius
17-11-2015, 08:21 AM
Our lack of appearances at major finals - wonder if it coincides with years of financial doping and the perspective that there are only two clubs worth playing for and they could pay handsomely for overseas talent...

I do think the influx of foreign players has been the major cause.

Newry Hibs
17-11-2015, 08:40 AM
I can see the newspaper cartoons now .... A picture of English, Welsh and Irish (x2) fans leaving an empty looking UK and Ireland and handing a sad kilted man some keys asking him to look after the place.

Carheenlea
17-11-2015, 09:52 AM
Paddy Power can do one as well :take that

Smartie
17-11-2015, 10:10 AM
It' strange how in a thread about ROI qualifying for the EUROs we choose to blame our domestic setup for our lack of success. Is the league of Ireland that good?

If you have decent players who are motivated to play for a manager who knows how to set them up properly then you'll win games and qualify for tournaments (see Northern Ireland - would anyone seriously swap our squad of players for theirs? I'd take their manager right enough….)

We're not going to the EUROs because we haven't worked out how to defend. Ireland soaked up a lot of pressure last night before going on to win, NI are compact and don't give much away, Wales don't give goals away. In Seamus Coleman, Jonny Evans and (especially) Ashley Williams these teams have very good players in important positions. We chucked silly goals away in practically every game because our defensive unit is nowhere near strong enough. Even then, we were unlucky to drop points to the goal we lost in Dublin and we were unfortunate ROI picked up the points they did against Germany. The Georgia game was our only poor result.

We'll now have the predictable guff in the media about how we need Rangers back in the top league/ get rid of the split/ change the number of teams in the SPFL/ get Rangers and Celtic into another league etc etc.

We need a couple of centre halves pronto.

greenpaper55
17-11-2015, 10:22 AM
It' strange how in a thread about ROI qualifying for the EUROs we choose to blame our domestic setup for our lack of success. Is the league of Ireland that good?

If you have decent players who are motivated to play for a manager who knows how to set them up properly then you'll win games and qualify for tournaments (see Northern Ireland - would anyone seriously swap our squad of players for theirs? I'd take their manager right enough….)

We're not going to the EUROs because we haven't worked out how to defend. Ireland soaked up a lot of pressure last night before going on to win, NI are compact and don't give much away, Wales don't give goals away. In Seamus Coleman, Jonny Evans and (especially) Ashley Williams these teams have very good players in important positions. We chucked silly goals away in practically every game because our defensive unit is nowhere near strong enough. Even then, we were unlucky to drop points to the goal we lost in Dublin and we were unfortunate ROI picked up the points they did against Germany. The Georgia game was our only poor result.

We'll now have the predictable guff in the media about how we need Rangers back in the top league/ get rid of the split/ change the number of teams in the SPFL/ get Rangers and Celtic into another league etc etc.

We need a couple of centre halves pronto.

Fair enough but i still think the set up we have in this country discourages managers from using home grown talent unless they have to, Scots used to be at the heart of every top English team but the talent just does not come through these days. I'm not saying the league set up is the answer to all our problems but it might be a piece of the jigsaw that could set us on the right road.

CorrieHibs
17-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Fair enough but i still think the set up we have in this country discourages managers from using home grown talent unless they have to, Scots used to be at the heart of every top English team but the talent just does not come through these days. I'm not saying the league set up is the answer to all our problems but it might be a piece of the jigsaw that could set us on the right road.

Iceland have zero professional clubs but are still going to the euros.
I have no idea what we're doing at grass roots. Our club sides have struggled in Europe recently as well.

Some of its down mentality, I don't see Scotland having it. At any age group. I don't see any of the players making the grade up from under 21s to full team either. The qualifying for the WC will be another disaster.

Smartie
17-11-2015, 10:47 AM
I saw a thing on the news the other night where they were going round taking down a lot of the "No ball games" signs in our towns and cities. Imo this is exactly the kind of thing we need to be doing. That and ensure that we have plentiful facilities being used all year round by kids simply playing and enjoying football.

If you look at the stats for rugby, it is the countries who have the biggest pool of people who play regularly who have the best International teams (well, that and being able to call on the best ex-pat players from New Zealand, Australia and South Africa).

We can make a good start by breaking down the barriers stopping kids from playing regularly.

We were a great footballing country when we had the most kids playing football regularly in the streets. If we can get more people playing then the cream of the crop will end up being better than they are now.

It might take a while though, no quick fix.

DH1875
17-11-2015, 11:14 AM
If Scotland had been in England's, N. Ireland or Wales group they'd have qualified no problem.

hibbysam
17-11-2015, 11:24 AM
If Scotland had been in England's, N. Ireland or Wales group they'd have qualified no problem.

Your point? We weren't, we were in the same group as the ROI and they qualified. Scotland had a massive chance. Had we not blown a lead in Poland, had we not been so gutless in Georgia, had we not shat ourselves in Dublin, had we not conceded goals in the last seconds against Poland at Hampden. All four of these games we had to get wins from and we failed on four attempts. England get those groups because they are a far better footballing side than Scotland. Wales kicked on massively and beat the world no.1 side. Northern Ireland were fortunate that Greece fell to bits however to blame the group Scotland had is nonsense. We blew it for ourselves on four occasions.

Smartie
17-11-2015, 11:27 AM
I have no idea what we're doing at grass roots. Our club sides have struggled in Europe recently as well.

Some of its down mentality, I don't see Scotland having it. At any age group. I don't see any of the players making the grade up from under 21s to full team either. The qualifying for the WC will be another disaster.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30012357

A decent article on some of the reasons why Iceland are doing well.

Frazerbob
17-11-2015, 11:30 AM
Interesting fact......the starting 11 for Ireland last night have made an average 9 starts each for their clubs this season, most of which are lower Premiership or Championship clubs. I remember every Irish fan I spoke to in Dublin after the draw wanting rid of MO'N. He was universally hated for his turgid football. They're pish and we still couldn't finish above them however I agree that we've improved under WGS and would have qualified from most other groups.

CockneyRebel
17-11-2015, 11:36 AM
I do think the influx of foreign players has been the major cause.

Then why don't the clubs in Scotland that use all these imported players do better in Europe? Not all the imports are poor.

cabbageandribs1875
17-11-2015, 11:57 AM

i do, and he plays for the hibs

JimBHibees
17-11-2015, 12:01 PM
Interesting fact......the starting 11 for Ireland last night have made an average 9 starts each for their clubs this season, most of which are lower Premiership or Championship clubs. I remember every Irish fan I spoke to in Dublin after the draw wanting rid of MO'N. He was universally hated for his turgid football. They're pish and we still couldn't finish above them however I agree that we've improved under WGS and would have qualified from most other groups.

Bottom line is the defeat in Georgia was massive especially in comparison with McGeady scoring a last minute winner in Georgia. That allied to their 4 points off Germany with the win something I dont think anyone would have predicted killed us. Ireland are more physical and resolute than us however their football is atrocious to watch and cant see them doing much in France though you never know.

HappyHanlon
17-11-2015, 12:03 PM

Iceland started from scratch. I'm sure they turned their attentions to the 21's and 19's a few years back to get them ready as the first team were ageing and pretty hopeless.

I mind seeing them at ER in 2010 and one Gylfi Sigurdsson was an absolute standout.

Lucius Apuleius
17-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Then why don't the clubs in Scotland that use all these imported players do better in Europe? Not all the imports are poor.

Not all are poor but I think you are looking at apples and pears. The domestic product is not good as we have, in my opinion, too many foreign journeymen plying their trade. Stirling Albion even have foreigners for goodness sake. Nobody will ever convince me that there is no Scots laddie out there as good as they are. If we have young Scots playing, some will come through and the domestic game will get better. Bosman has also screwed up football. Instead of money going to clubs now for transfers, players see down contracts and then command a signing on fee. That is money lost to football. Yes, I do know that some teams do still pay transfer fees but not that many, especially in Scotland. Celtc get caught out in Europe because they do not have the competition in Scotland don't you know! The other teams get found out in Europe because they are just not very good. Is it coincidence that Scotland and Scottish teams halcyon days were when we had no foreigners? Probably too simplistic to say that but I definitely think there is a link. A lot of decent Scots players playing in England at the minute albeit not in the Premiership. The Premiership has changed beyond all recognition in the last few years as you will know. The whole of Scottish football needs a revamp, along the lines of Hearn would be good. Until we get rid of the clowns at the top of the tree nothing will happen for the good. As an aside, we are not seeing English teams doing that well in European competitions the last few years. With their money and players they should be winning European trophies every year.

greenpaper55
17-11-2015, 12:15 PM
" As an aside, we are not seeing English teams doing that well in European competitions the last few years. With their money and players they should be winning European trophies every year."
That's true and the reason might be that in some teams they don't even have an Englishman playing !.

Smartie
17-11-2015, 12:18 PM
Not all are poor but I think you are looking at apples and pears. The domestic product is not good as we have, in my opinion, too many foreign journeymen plying their trade. Stirling Albion even have foreigners for goodness sake. Nobody will ever convince me that there is no Scots laddie out there as good as they are. If we have young Scots playing, some will come through and the domestic game will get better. Bosman has also screwed up football. Instead of money going to clubs now for transfers, players see down contracts and then command a signing on fee. That is money lost to football. Yes, I do know that some teams do still pay transfer fees but not that many, especially in Scotland. Celtc get caught out in Europe because they do not have the competition in Scotland don't you know! The other teams get found out in Europe because they are just not very good. Is it coincidence that Scotland and Scottish teams halcyon days were when we had no foreigners? Probably too simplistic to say that but I definitely think there is a link. A lot of decent Scots players playing in England at the minute albeit not in the Premiership. The Premiership has changed beyond all recognition in the last few years as you will know. The whole of Scottish football needs a revamp, along the lines of Hearn would be good. Until we get rid of the clowns at the top of the tree nothing will happen for the good. As an aside, we are not seeing English teams doing that well in European competitions the last few years. With their money and players they should be winning European trophies every year.

I read a book called "Why England lose" a while back (excellent book btw - a bit like Freakonomics only about football).

One of the things they did was to quash the idea that foreign players are bad for football. If we limited the numbers or introduced any sort of protectionism then it is not in anyone's interests. Scottish players should reach the top in Scotland because they are better than the foreign players, not because we've prevented foreign players from playing here to any extent. That only allows poorer players to reach a higher level. Do you think it is better or worse for Jason Cummings to have Dominique Malonga playing with him? I'd say better.

Our problem in this sense is that players travelling with success only seems to happen one way. Our players seldom go overseas and succeed. It is encouraging to see Ryan Gauld go to Portugal and attempt to kick on there. If we had more players with the emotional maturity to make a go of it abroad then we'd be more comfortable with foreign players here.

Blaming foreign players for our problems shouldn't really have made it out of the 1970s.

Lago
17-11-2015, 12:57 PM
" As an aside, we are not seeing English teams doing that well in European competitions the last few years. With their money and players they should be winning European trophies every year."
That's true and the reason might be that in some teams they don't even have an Englishman playing !.
Not sure why that has an effect on club football