PDA

View Full Version : Paisley 2021 Stadium

Sergey
16-11-2015, 01:04 PM
I see that St Mirren are going to rename their stadium as (I kid you not) Paisley is pitching to become UK City of Culture.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34831026

Given that it's Kingston upon Hull in 2017, it would appear to me that the selection process is somewhat questionable.

greenlex
16-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Paisley has a rich history and some fantastic architecture.,I'm not sure about Kingston on Hull or indeed what the criteria is but I can see Paisley assets in a ciltural light to be honest.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Get Jim Goodwin to front the campaign and it is as good as in the bag.

jacomo
16-11-2015, 03:08 PM
Good luck to them - giving this award to somewhere with an established and rich cultural life like, say, Edinburgh, is pretty pointless.

lyonhibs
16-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Good luck to them - giving this award to somewhere with an established and rich cultural life like, say, Edinburgh, is pretty pointless.

Awarding a city full of culture an award called "City of Culture" (not "City we're going to invest in and implant/create some culture") is pretty pointless??

You'll have to explain that to me again.

That said, good luck to Paisley. Some lovely Victorian and pre Victorian architecture there (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyworrall/albums/72157626109336078) although the city centre could do with some serious gentrification.

The Gorf
16-11-2015, 03:52 PM
Get Jim Goodwin to front the campaign and it is as good as in the bag.
Nah. You'd just get folk crying foul !!!!!!!

Sergey
16-11-2015, 04:05 PM
When did Paisley become a city?

iwasthere1972
16-11-2015, 04:13 PM

Same year as Brechin.

2021 Stadium. What a naff name.

Sergio sledge
16-11-2015, 05:07 PM
It would be interesting to see the financial case for a council spending £30,000 on sponsoring a football stadium in the SPFL Championship, what do they expect to get in return?

Brunswickbill
16-11-2015, 05:10 PM
It would be interesting to see the financial case for a council spending £30,000 on sponsoring a football stadium in the SPFL Championship, what do they expect to get in return?

Getting people talking about their 2021 City of Culture bid. Job done methinks.

ancient hibee
16-11-2015, 05:15 PM
Outside Marks and Spencer Paisley three years ago.Me to staff member "that looks like a bullet hole in the window".Staff member to me "that's because it is a bullet hole."

Sergio sledge
16-11-2015, 05:18 PM
Getting people talking about their 2021 City of Culture bid. Job done methinks.

Is it a public vote?

Pete
16-11-2015, 05:20 PM
Outside Marks and Spencer Paisley three years ago.Me to staff member "that looks like a bullet hole in the window".Staff member to me "that's because it is a bullet hole."

See. Paisley has a culture.

ScottB
16-11-2015, 05:33 PM

I think it's more that all the big cities have already had it...

Keith_M
16-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Paisley the City Of Culture?

Somebody's havin a laugh.

Ronniekirk
16-11-2015, 06:01 PM

It's not Officially ,but when you look st the list of criteria to be a city it ticks a lot of the boxes ,has a University ( was called Paisley Tech when I first went there in 1979 ) It has an Abbey where I saw a Paul Brady concert ,as part of the Gerry Rafferty shows celebrating his life ,ironically after he died but better late than never ,which is now an Annual event .It has a Cathedral etc Sma Shot day celebrates the Paisley Pattern ,
But apart from frequenting the Bull Inn occasionally as it is the oldest Pub ,and has kept all its old charm intact ,I rarely set foot in Paisley Town Centre .

CropleyWasGod
16-11-2015, 06:03 PM
Same year as Brechin.

2021 Stadium. What a naff name.
Not sure it is a city.

Brechin, and Elgin, qualify as cities if the criterion is (as it used to be, but not now) that they have a cathedral. Paisley doesn't have one; it has an abbey.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

iwasthere1972
16-11-2015, 06:05 PM
Not sure it is a city.

Brechin, and Elgin, qualify as cities if the criterion is (as it used to be, but not now) that they have a cathedral. Paisley doesn't have one; it has an abbey.

I know. :wink:

Ronniekirk
16-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Not sure it is a city.

Saint Mirren Cathedral ironically

but spelt Miren after the Patron Saint of Paisley

Keith_M
16-11-2015, 06:15 PM

What other Cultural Delights does Paisley have, Ronnie?

Keeo in mind that I lived in Linwood for a year and a bit, so no BS please :wink:

Billy Whizz
16-11-2015, 06:22 PM

Keeo in mind that I lived in Linwood for a year and a bit, so no BS please :wink:

Gleniffer braes

CropleyWasGod
16-11-2015, 06:25 PM

Stand corrected :)

Ronniekirk
16-11-2015, 06:33 PM
What other, Cultural Delights does Paisley have, Ronnie?

The Observatory , One of the finest Victorian Sewers in Britian ,Pace Theatre Group that my son went to ,The Old Satanic Mills ,Paulo Nutini and his parents Chip Shop,, David Tenants parents live round the corner from me ,The library opposite the University where the Mueseum is .The Fountain in the gardens opposite the Alamo pub in Caledonia road have been refurbished .

Sadly the old Students Union is now Flats .

However there aren't many good restraints for a Town with a large population and the Town planners have made some crazy decisions over the years .its trying hard now to attract people into the town but hosting cultural events more than it did , but as I said on another post I tend to seek my culture out with Paisley ,but I give Linwood a wide berth :wink:

Ronniekirk
16-11-2015, 06:38 PM
Gleniffer braes

How did I forget that Used to run up and down them when Training for Half Marathons ,and young couples like to park up there at night ,and look out over Paisley and Glasgow at the lights and watch the Planes flying in :rolleyes:

iwasthere1972
16-11-2015, 06:43 PM

The Alamo. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
16-11-2015, 06:47 PM
How did I forget that Used to run up and down them when Training for Half Marathons ,and young couples like to park up there at night ,and look out over Paisley and Glasgow at the lights and watch the Planes flying in :rolleyes:
Lived around that area for 11 years or so

mim
16-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Lived in the Todholm Inn for a couple of years when I was on contract at Ciba Geigy.

Love Paisley. :greengrin

Ronniekirk
16-11-2015, 08:03 PM
Lived in the Todholm Inn for a couple of years when I was on contract at Ciba Geigy.

Love Paisley. :greengrin

It's now called the Abbey Inn five minute walk for me to watch the Football .
Ciba was shut down this year In the process of clearing the site

jacomo
16-11-2015, 11:06 PM
Awarding a city full of culture an award called "City of Culture" (not "City we're going to invest in and implant/create some culture") is pretty pointless??

You'll have to explain that to me again.

That said, good luck to Paisley. Some lovely Victorian and pre Victorian architecture there (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyworrall/albums/72157626109336078) although the city centre could do with some serious gentrification.

Oh ok, if you insist.

Edinburgh is already known worldwide for its rich culture, and attracts huge numbers of visitors and investment as a result. Its residents enjoy all these riches year round. This award would not add much to that equation.

But culture is broadly defined and widespread. Why can't Paisley aspire to raise its profile and improve its offer to visitors and its community?

Clear now?

Brunswickbill
17-11-2015, 12:52 AM
[QUOTE=Hibayernian;4505608]What other Cultural Delights does Paisley have, Ronnie?

Keeo in mind that I lived in Linwood for a year and a bit, so no BS please

Paisley Beer Festival - biggest and best in Scotland. :agree:

mim
17-11-2015, 09:50 AM

It's now called the Abbey Inn five minute walk for me to watch the Football .
Ciba was shut down this year In the process of clearing the site

Thanks for that Ronnie.
Ciba closing must have been a big blow to the local community.

monarch
17-11-2015, 10:31 AM

Must be the only case of a cathedral being named after a football team. :wink:
(No references to Sacred Heart please)

rodhibs55
17-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Reckon they have a good chance of getting this accolade. Their near neighbours once got it and they don't even have an airport. At least Paisley does.

monktonharp
17-11-2015, 03:41 PM
Not sure it is a city.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TapatalkPaisley does have City status, and I'M sure it was granted 2/3 years ago. Well done Paisley. I do get annoyed at people from Scotland, many who do not know anyone from outside their ain street, nevermind region who have never travelled around our own country yet are happy to slag other parts off. don't remember the nickname for Paisley, and it could be "the shaky toon" or shoogly toon", and have nae inkling to try and find out why, but I have never had a problem with the place,or the people. we could look in on ourselves, at any housing scheme around Edin. or any village surrounding, or even some of the "interesting" thouroughfares of Edinburgh and be surprised what can behind some of those doors. I do find some real crackers, when I am working. Hands off Paisley, that's what I say, and god bless the Alamo bar !:wink:

monktonharp
17-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Oh ok, if you insist.

Edinburgh is already known worldwide for its rich culture, and attracts huge numbers of visitors and investment as a result. Its residents enjoy all these riches year round. This award would not add much to that equation.

But culture is broadly defined and widespread. Why can't Paisley aspire to raise its profile and improve its offer to visitors and its community?

Clear now?:agree:

monktonharp
17-11-2015, 03:49 PM
Reckon they have a good chance of getting this accolade. Their near neighbours once got it and they don't even have an airport. At least Paisley does.Abbotsinch if I'm correct. the original name for the airport, a bit like Turnhouse airport, in Edin.

CropleyWasGod
17-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Paisley does have City status, and I'M sure it was granted 2/3 years ago. Well done Paisley. I do get annoyed at people from Scotland, many who do not know anyone from outside their ain street, nevermind region who have never travelled around our own country yet are happy to slag other parts off. don't remember the nickname for Paisley, and it could be "the shaky toon" or shoogly toon", and have nae inkling to try and find out why, but I have never had a problem with the place,or the people. we could look in on ourselves, at any housing scheme around Edin. or any village surrounding, or even some of the "interesting" thouroughfares of Edinburgh and be surprised what can behind some of those doors. I do find some real crackers, when I am working. Hands off Paisley, that's what I say, and god bless the Alamo bar !:wink:

According to this, it isn't a city.

http://www.scottishcities.org/

Keith_M
17-11-2015, 06:15 PM
The Observatory , One of the finest Victorian Sewers in Britian ,Pace Theatre Group that my son went to ,The Old Satanic Mills ,Paulo Nutini and his parents Chip Shop,, David Tenants parents live round the corner from me ,The library opposite the University where the Mueseum is .The Fountain in the gardens opposite the Alamo pub in Caledonia road have been refurbished .

Sadly the old Students Union is now Flats .

However there aren't many good restraints for a Town with a large population and the Town planners have made some crazy decisions over the years .its trying hard now to attract people into the town but hosting cultural events more than it did , but as I said on another post I tend to seek my culture out with Paisley ,but I give Linwood a wide berth :wink:

You don't have to do that anymore, I moved out a few years back.

Oh and you're obviously really struggling for cultural highlights if you included this...

"Paulo Nutini and his parents Chip Shop,, David Tenants parents live round the corner from me ,"

:greengrin