PDA

View Full Version : Terry Butcher podcast/interview

Danderhall Hibs
16-11-2015, 07:47 AM
2 part indepth interview with Butcher now available on iTunes. Interview by Graham Hunter - the Scottish boy that lives in Spain. His interviews are usually decent, although they start of cheesy and can be a bit sycophantic. Plus he's now started asking for donations towards it.

Not listened to it yet but here's the link anyway...

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/big-interview-graham-hunter/id988360681?mt=2&i=357212983

jodjam
16-11-2015, 08:35 AM
I get what he done with England but given his managerial record why do people still want to interview him. It's the equivalent of asking Enoch Powell how we re-shape modern politics.

Jim44
16-11-2015, 08:40 AM
I get what he done with England but given his managerial record why do people still want to interview him. It's the equivalent of asking Enoch Powell how we re-shape modern politics.

Maybe because of 'car crash syndrome', morbid curiosity.

heretoday
16-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Butcher is a reliable rent-a-gob with enough kudos remaining from his courageous England exploits to excite most hacks.

Really though, as we know all too well, his house is built on sand.

Billy Whizz
16-11-2015, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the heads up on this, don't think I'll be listening though

TAHibby
16-11-2015, 10:09 AM
Enjoyed the Gordon Strachan and Kevin Bridges ones in the past. Not sure I could stomach listening to this arrogant, dinosaur **** though

Smartie
16-11-2015, 10:56 AM
There is a part of me would like to hear his side of the story, unpalatable and downright incorrect as it may be. Although there is a bigger part of me would rather wipe the whole thing from memory and focus on the far better place we are now.

What did he really think of the squad he inherited? What opportunity was he given to improve the squad in January? What happened with Kevin Thomson? What happened with Alex Harris? Were there people in the dressing room that he felt he had on his side/ or working against and undermining him? Does he think he could have got us back up first time? What was he going to do with the squad? What was his relationship like with Petrie?

We'll never hear it but it would be interesting to know (although painful to hear).

jacomo
16-11-2015, 11:12 AM
There is a part of me would like to hear his side of the story, unpalatable and downright incorrect as it may be. Although there is a bigger part of me would rather wipe the whole thing from memory and focus on the far better place we are now.

What did he really think of the squad he inherited? What opportunity was he given to improve the squad in January? What happened with Kevin Thomson? What happened with Alex Harris? Were there people in the dressing room that he felt he had on his side/ or working against and undermining him? Does he think he could have got us back up first time? What was he going to do with the squad? What was his relationship like with Petrie?

We'll never hear it but it would be interesting to know (although painful to hear).

I don't think you'll ever get that. TB doesn't seem like a man prone to introspection or self-analysis.

It drives me crazy that he's now working as a pundit on 5 Live. What possible insight or understanding of modern football tactics does he have?

Bostonhibby
16-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Be giving that one a swerve then.

Maybe he'd have raised more cash if he sought sponsorship not to interview Butcher?

Wonder if he will ask if it was at Newport Tel finally realised his formula wasn't a winning one?

Treadstone
16-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Be giving that one a swerve then.

Maybe he'd have raised more cash if he sought sponsorship not to interview Butcher?

Wonder if he will ask if it was at Newport Tel finally realised his formula wasn't a winning one?

The crowdfunding is complete. One of the 'perks' for a specific donation was being able to frame a question. Hibs.net should have funded that although think it would have been rejected. These interviews aren't Paxman.

Ozyhibby
16-11-2015, 11:33 AM
The crowdfunding is complete. One of the 'perks' for a specific donation was being able to frame a question. Hibs.net should have funded that although think it would have been rejected. These interviews aren't Paxman.

Exactly. Graham Hunter offers good analysis but his interviews are poor. He almost worships at the feet of the interviewee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibsmad
16-11-2015, 11:45 AM
I really like listening to Graham Hunter. Very knowledgeable and offers more than the usual clichéd rubbish we get from others. I also really like his podcast.

I get what people are saying in regards to him not asking the difficult questions. However I think that his guests so far have not really required it. If he didn't ask Butcher one or two tricky questions in relation to his managerial record then I'd be disappointed.

Danderhall Hibs
16-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Don't worry; I'll listen to it and feedback to you all!

jodjam
16-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Don't worry; I'll listen to it and feedback to you all!

Good man. Taking one for the team :flag:

Ozyhibby
16-11-2015, 12:58 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/16/1232a99242a1327ed1ead8381437c9b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
16-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Good man. Taking one for the team :flag:

Indeed.

20 mins or so in at the moment. But of chat about heavy metal, hypnotist tapes and Ipswich winning the cup.

Nothing about destroying Hibs yet.

Danderhall Hibs
16-11-2015, 05:59 PM
Now listened to all of part 1. Bit of chat about Bobby Robson being senile early doors and how funny it was.

Not even onto his Rangers days yet never mind his failed management career.

Danderhall Hibs
18-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Just listened to part 2 - he never even got round to talking about his management career. Big bit on his Rangers days but didn't make it past that.

matty_f
18-11-2015, 11:29 PM
Just listened to part 2 - he never even got round to talking about his management career. Big bit on his Rangers days but didn't make it past that.

The interviewer could have done with letting Butcher talk more, one of my pet hates is when folk ask a question then interrupt the answer.

Danderhall Hibs
18-11-2015, 11:39 PM
The interviewer could have done with letting Butcher talk more, one of my pet hates is when folk ask a question then interrupt the answer.

He tends to try and answer the questions for them as well.