PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian History Day 94

big-mo
15-11-2015, 09:05 AM
Season 1968-69

October, Stevenson and Scott scored against Dundee, 2-1 in the semi-final of the league cup at Tynecastle.

15th January, Hibs lost out on away goals to Hamburg 2-2 in the Fairs Cup, after beating Olympia Ljubljana 5-1 and Lokomotiv Leipzig 4-1 in previous rounds.

April, Celtic beat Hibs 6-2 in the League Cup Final 6-2 with O’Rourke and Stevenson scoring for Hibs.

Season results –
Scottish Cup 1st round
League Cup Final –Celtic 6-2
League Div 1 12/18 Pld34 W12 D7 L15 F60 A59 Pts31

Forza Fred
15-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Season 1968-69

October, Stevenson and Scott scored against Dundee, 2-1 in the semi-final of the league cup at Tynecastle.

15th January, Hibs lost out on away goals to Hamburg 2-2 in the Fairs Cup, after beating Olympia Ljubljana 5-1 and Lokomotiv Leipzig 4-1 in previous rounds.

April, Celtic beat Hibs 6-2 in the League Cup Final 6-2 with O’Rourke and Stevenson scoring for Hibs.

Season results –
Scottish Cup 1st round
League Div 1 12/18 Pld34 W12 D7 L15 F60 A59 Pts31

My fading memory also recalls that the League Cup final was supposed to be played in October, but two days before the match there was a fire at Hampden that required refurbishments to the stadium and at short notice the game was postponed to April.

In the interim Colin Stein was transferred to Rangers.....everybody thought he was going to Everton by the way, and Hibs chances of victory went with him.

I think I am right, if not no doubt several hundred will tell me so!:hibees

hibbybrian
15-11-2015, 11:28 AM
My fading memory also recalls that the League Cup final was supposed to be played in October, but two days before the match there was a fire at Hampden that required refurbishments to the stadium and at short notice the game was postponed to April.

In the interim Colin Stein was transferred to Rangers.....everybody thought he was going to Everton by the way, and Hibs chances of victory went with him.

I think I am right, if not no doubt several hundred will tell me so!:hibees

Not only that Fred, there was also a fire at Ibrox the day after the Hampden fire, thus ruling out playing the Final at Ibrox!!

Hibs proposed to play the game in November but Celtic didn't accept and it was scheduled for April and defeat in another final :rolleyes:

BTW Colin Stein would not have been eligible for the Final on the original date of 26 October anyway, as he had been banned for 10 days by the SFA for a sending off so his last game for Hibs was on 19 October. Apparently when Hibs were discussing terms for Stein, Alex Fergusson was supposedly offered in part exchange :greengrin

Forza Fred
15-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Not only that Fred, there was also a fire at Ibrox the day after the Hampden fire, thus ruling out playing the Final at Ibrox!!

Hibs proposed to play the game in November but Celtic didn't accept and it was scheduled for April and defeat in another final :rolleyes:

BTW Colin Stein would not have been eligible for the Final on the original date of 26 October anyway, as he had been banned for 10 days by the SFA for a sending off so his last game for Hibs was on 19 October. Apparently when Hibs were discussing terms for Stein, Alex Fergusson was supposedly offered in part exchange :greengrin

That's right...remember the suspension now.

Maybe he was suspended for the fight he had with Alex Ferguson at Ibrox and I saw both get sent off?

Feed McGraw
15-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Season 1968-69

Season results –
Scottish Cup 1st round
League Div 1 12/18 Pld34 W12 D7 L15 F60 A59 Pts31 The scorers are incorrect for the Dundee semi, that was the famous one where the injured Allan McGraw scored the winner and I think Colin Stein scored the first.

hibbybrian
15-11-2015, 12:34 PM
The scorers are incorrect for the Dundee semi, that was the famous one where the injured Allan McGraw scored the winner and I think Colin Stein scored the first.

Colin Stein scored the first before McGraw's heroics :thumbsup:

hibbybrian
15-11-2015, 12:36 PM
That's right...remember the suspension now.

Maybe he was suspended for the fight he had with Alex Ferguson at Ibrox and I saw both get sent off?

The game at Ibrox was the year before.

C C C Stein was sent of in a League match against Raith Rovers at Starks Park (Hibs lost 2-0) for persistent arguing with the Referee :rolleyes:

haggisbaws
16-11-2015, 02:10 AM
The Hamburg match was my 1st ever Hibs match, I was 12 travelled to the game with 2 school friends

CentreLine
16-11-2015, 06:06 AM
And Pat Stanton scored a good goal but the ref thought it came off the bar as out bounced right out having hit the net support. That would have been 3-2 Hibs. It's not just modern day refs get it wrong.

JimBHibees
16-11-2015, 07:07 AM
And Pat Stanton scored a good goal but the ref thought it came off the bar as out bounced right out having hit the net support. That would have been 3-2 Hibs. It's not just modern day refs get it wrong.

Was there not something in that game about the Hamburg goalie wearing a green top and the linesman flagging for offside constantly, might be wrong with that. Can vaguely remember a few bottles getting thrown on the pitch.