PDA

View Full Version : Murrayfield?

greenlex
11-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Just saw an article on the pitch revamp at Murrayfield. It's 97% real grass and 3% synthetic. The synthetic grass is obviously set st a specific height and the real stuff mown at that height. It was revamped at a cost if £1M. My question is now this. As football is played on shorter grass does this now render Myrrayfield unfit for football?

bod
11-11-2015, 05:44 PM
how much shorter is football grass to rugby grass ?

greenlex
11-11-2015, 05:50 PM
Not sure to be honest but here is a considerable difference. I'm only interested from a yam stadium upgrade using Murrayfield or using ER point of view.

Ozyhibby
11-11-2015, 05:50 PM
No, Celtic played on it and raved about how good it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenlex
11-11-2015, 05:52 PM
No, Celtic played on it and raved about how good it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
👍

Scouse Hibee
11-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Just saw an article on the pitch revamp at Murrayfield. It's 97% real grass and 3% synthetic. The synthetic grass is obviously set st a specific height and the real stuff mown at that height. It was revamped at a cost if £1M. My question is now this. As football is played on shorter grass does this now render Myrrayfield unfit for football?

No, there's a decent video on youtube about this hybrid surface, the artificial grass is left with about 2cm above the surface, plenty of scope for multi use across different sports.

Pretty Boy
11-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Is this a similar surface to what Arsenal have at the Emirates?

I always wondered why more clubs didn't go down this route in a country with minimal grass growth for 4 or 5 months of the season but I believe the installation and maintenance costs are huge.

Scouse Hibee
11-11-2015, 06:05 PM

I always wondered why more clubs didn't go down this route in a country with minimal grass growth for 4 or 5 months of the season but I believe the installation and maintenance costs are huge.

Yes, Old Trafford and Anfield too.

Sergey
11-11-2015, 06:05 PM

I don't know about Arsenal, but I happened to visit Villa Park one morning in darkest January immediately after they had played a match the previous evening. You would have thought that the pitch was newly laid as it was absolutely immaculate.

I stand to be corrected, but I think Villa Park was one of the first to use this synthetic grass.

J-C
11-11-2015, 06:38 PM
Because it's bloody expensive

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-11-2015, 06:53 PM
If it is deemed unfit for football, would that dissuade or encourage Hearts to play there?

magpie1892
11-11-2015, 07:05 PM
how much shorter is football grass to rugby grass ?

Go through the rugby towns in the Borders and they mow the outline of the pitch to the turf and the playing surface itself is grass about 4" long!

Looks like a footballer's haircut.

greenlex
11-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Go through the rugby towns in the Borders and they mow the outline of the pitch to the turf and the playing surface itself is grass about 4" long!

Looks like a footballer's haircut.

It may be left longer because of the abuse natural grass gets in games if rugby. If it's part synthetic them it may allow it to be shorter. Natural surfaces in rugby are definitely left longer than football pitches.

magpie1892
11-11-2015, 07:11 PM
It may be left longer because of the abuse natural grass gets in games if rugby. If it's part synthetic them it may allow it to beshorter. Natural surfaces in rugby are definitely left longer than football pitches.

Yes, hence my post. The Borders' towns don't have the odd million floating about for a Rugby pitch.

CB_NO3
11-11-2015, 07:26 PM
How good was Tickenham's pitch during the Rugby WC? I remember watching Rugby in the old days and there was no grass left come some matches. Twickenham was like a bowling green, even on the day of the final.

erin go bragh
11-11-2015, 07:27 PM
Because it's bloody expensive

Chicken feed to them as Sky shafts us but throws Billions at them .

GGTTH

Sergey
11-11-2015, 07:46 PM
Chicken feed to them as Sky shafts us but throws Billions at them .

GGTTH

What has the lack of money in Scottish football to do with SKY?

The game is only worth what broadcasters are prepared to pay - and none of the broadcasters care one jot about the Scottish leagues.

That's not the fault of SKY.

Alex Trager
11-11-2015, 08:06 PM

The game is only worth what broadcasters are prepared to pay - and none of the broadcasters care one jot about the Scottish leagues.

I originally thought he meant sky shafts the punter.

Which it does.

But having re read I don't think that is the case.

Regardless sky shafts the punter and sends it all to the BPL.

erin go bragh
11-11-2015, 08:09 PM

Sky cut the money they paid us , seasons ago . But throw an obscene amount the the EPL . Paying them more and more every season . I'd call that being shafted .

GGTTH

Sergey
11-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Sky cut the money they paid us , seasons ago . But throw an obscene amount the the EPL . Paying them more and more every season . I'd call that being shafted .

GGTTH

Wrong.

The TV broadcasting rights are open for anyone to bid on. The fact that SKY don't want to pay over the odds for a league that is Mickey Mouse in the broad scheme of things isn't the fault of SKY. They simply pay what they think the product is worth.

Ask Setanta if the Scottish game is worth investing in :cb

Why don't STV put in a credible bid for live rights?

BoomtownHibees
11-11-2015, 08:27 PM
I originally thought he meant sky shafts the punter.

Which it does.

But having re read I don't think that is the case.

Regardless sky shafts the punter and sends it all to the BPL.

They don't really shaft the punter either to be fair.

It's your choice whether you have Sky or not.

Sergey
11-11-2015, 09:00 PM
They don't really shaft the punter either to be fair.

It's your choice whether you have Sky or not.

:agree:

It's threads like this when those who have spewed forth complete bollocks simply disappear into the ether, only to then resurrect themselves on another thread as being knowledgeable and forthcoming.

That is until their viewpoint is flawed - then they repeat the process verbatim.

greenlex
11-11-2015, 09:06 PM
:agree:

It's threads like this when those who have spewed forth complete bollocks simply disappear into the ether, only to then resurrect themselves on another thread as being knowledgeable and forthcoming.

That is until their viewpoint is flawed - then they repeat the process verbatim. serious question. How much does level seven down south get from sky?

Sergey
11-11-2015, 09:14 PM
serious question. How much does level seven down south get from sky?

Directly - Nothing.

Indirectly - Impossible to quantify as the £££ goes to the authorities who filter it down the various league structures. I'll find out though as it's a decent question and I'm also intrigued to know an approximation of the amount (which will probably be 4 figures at most is my guess).

greenlex
11-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Directly - Nothing.

Indirectly - Impossible to quantify as the £££ goes to the authorities who filter it down the various league structures. I'll find out though as it's a decent question and I'm also intrigued to know an approximation of the amount (which will probably be 4 figures at most is my guess).

👍

aazza91
11-11-2015, 09:25 PM
I don't know about Arsenal, but I happened to visit Villa Park one morning in darkest January immediately after they had played a match the previous evening. You would have thought that the pitch was newly laid as it was absolutely immaculate.

I stand to be corrected, but I think Villa Park was one of the first to use this synthetic grass.

According to Wikipedia (reliable source) we use this surface also?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desso_GrassMaster

HappyAsHellas
11-11-2015, 10:35 PM
According to the official Desso site, no football team in Scotland does.

12-11-2015, 12:59 AM

Don't think this wiki site is anything to do with Desso. Easter Road is something called "fibre sand" if what I've been told is correct.

Understand rugby is now played on much shorter grass now and not much different to football hence why there is rugby (union and League) team sharing with football teams down south. That's why they can do both sports at Wembley and the Millennium Stadium. A groundsman mate bored me to death one night in the different types of pitches. His view was Desso was great but very expensive to install and maintain so probably the reason why there was no team in Scotland with one.

macd123
12-11-2015, 01:02 AM

We definitely don't use it. It's the best surface but we haven't been able to afford the 1 million quid up front plus significant annual maintenance.

HibbyKeith
12-11-2015, 07:44 AM
No, there's a decent video on youtube about this hybrid surface, the artificial grass is left with about 2cm above the surface, plenty of scope for multi use across different sports.

:wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VNiArKmJ10