PDA

View Full Version : Famous Five Documentary

bigwheel
11-11-2015, 01:21 PM
Apologies if this has already been posted...BBC Alba have commissioned a documentary on the Famous Five..sounds great

http://www.purpletv.tv/programmes/FamousFivefilminproduction

Kato
11-11-2015, 01:45 PM
"infamous club Chairman Harry Swan"

I wonder what they have to say about him.

Should be good, pity footage is at a premium.

Dan Sarf
11-11-2015, 01:46 PM
That's Bobby Combe (another great player) in the picture - not Bobby Johnstone!

Can't wait for the show though...

:flag:

erin go bragh
11-11-2015, 03:11 PM

Heard a few older guys saying it should have been the famous six as Bobby Combe was every bit as good as his esteemed team mates .

banarc7062
11-11-2015, 05:48 PM
"infamous club Chairman Harry Swan"

I wonder what they have to say about him.

Should be good, pity footage is at a premium.
Harry Swan IMO put his money into Hibs with our first in Floodlights; undersoil heating; entry into European football. GGTTH

banarc7062
11-11-2015, 05:50 PM
When Booby Johnstone came back to us from England his pinpoint passes made numerous goals for the Baker boy. Those two were great together.

Kato
11-11-2015, 06:07 PM
undersoil heating

Tom Hart surely.

NadeAteMyLunch!
11-11-2015, 06:26 PM
Superb. Hopefully no in Gaelic [emoji5]

ancient hibee
11-11-2015, 06:41 PM

Yes that photo was plastered all over Leith as the famous five a year or two ago.Inexcusable really.It also appears in John Campbell's book-I heard he was mortified.

danhibees1875
11-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Harry Swan IMO put his money into Hibs with our first in Floodlights; undersoil heating; entry into European football. GGTTH

Was the first team with floodlights not stenhousemuir? (Possibly in a game v Hibs though).

Hibbyradge
11-11-2015, 07:22 PM
Tom Hart surely.

:agree:

libernian
11-11-2015, 07:42 PM
this should be good!

i saw the jim baxter one they did and it was excellent!! really showed what a character and player he was..

Pretty Boy
11-11-2015, 07:59 PM
this should be good!

i saw the jim baxter one they did and it was excellent!! really showed what a character and player he was..

Agreed the Baxter documentary was excellent.

I met JB when he was in hospital awaiting his 1st liver transplant (I was only young at the time) when visiting a family friend. He went out of his way to be nice to me despite being seriously ill and talked about football, showed me some old photos of him in his pomp that a journo had dropped in for him and even said he had a wee soft spot for Hibs. I was saddened by how things turned out for him.

Hopefully the Famous Five documentary is equally good.

Scorrie
11-11-2015, 08:02 PM

I met JB when he was in hospital awaiting his 1st liver transplant (I was only young at the time) when visiting a family friend. He went out of his way to be nice to me despite being seriously ill and talked about football, showed me some old photos of him in his pomp that a journo had dropped in for him and even said he had a wee soft spot for Hibs. I was saddened by how things turned out for him.

Jim Baxter was a Hibs supporter in his youth according to his biography. Used to love watching the Famous five

Zazu62
11-11-2015, 08:06 PM
I've always wondered how these players would do in this generation would u think fitness would be an issue. I'm not for one minute doubting these players have exceptional technical ability

Hibbyradge
11-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Will it be in English?

Kato
11-11-2015, 08:44 PM
I've always wondered how these players would do in this generation would u think fitness would be an issue. I'm not for one minute doubting these players have exceptional technical ability

Gordon Smith took being full-time seriously and was probably fitter than most Scottish players are today.

Jonnyboy
11-11-2015, 09:19 PM
Yes that photo was plastered all over Leith as the famous five a year or two ago.Inexcusable really.It also appears in John Campbell's book-I heard he was mortified.

I was, and remain so :sick:

Dashing Bob S
11-11-2015, 10:36 PM

Was a Hibs fan as a boy, idolised Gordon Smith.

Sir David Gray
11-11-2015, 10:40 PM
When Booby Johnstone came back to us from England his pinpoint passes made numerous goals for the Baker boy. Those two were great together.

Thanks for keeping us abreast of that particular situation.

FranckSuzy
11-11-2015, 11:40 PM
Thanks for keeping us abreast of that particular situation.

:tee hee:

Iggy Pope
12-11-2015, 08:42 AM

One reads so many pointless posts on here, like the minute by minute midweek English score updates ad nauseum that we can all see on the telly anyway, so it's nice to read from someone who seen these immortals in the flesh.
If you can get hold of the Bobby Johnstone book, I'd recommend it. More about his time at Man City right enough, but still worthwhile.

jdships
12-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Was the first team with floodlights not stenhousemuir? (Possibly in a game v Hibs though).

:agree:

jdships
12-11-2015, 12:09 PM

I was contemporary with the "Famous Five" and while training normally finished around 14/14.30 the majority of the senior players had their own fitness schedules
Gordon Smith ran miles every day after ER training
Jimmy Kerr " worked" three /four evenings a week with part time players
I as an 18 year old part time pro was given a schedule by the staff at my club which I was expected to adhere to - fitness was checked monthly to ensure you kept up with the instructions !!
It was in your own interests , career wise , to keep as fit as possible

ancient hibee
12-11-2015, 05:51 PM
I was, and remain so :sick:

Still an excellent book.

Jonnyboy
12-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Still an excellent book.

Thank you :aok: