PDA

View Full Version : Truly unexpected Hibs wins

lyonhibs
11-11-2015, 08:24 AM
We've endured significantly more than our fair share of (un)expected defeats over the years, but what about unexpected wins?. I mean really unexpected, given the circumstances at the time.

Facebook reminded me that yesterday was the 5th anniversary of Colin Calderwood's team, with Trakys (or whatever he was called) as the only fit striker and a defence that leaked like a sieve going to Ibrox and winning 3-0.

I remember watching the live BBC updates in my flat in Oxford (it being easier to find a place to show Scottish football in Zurich than Oxford!!) and scarcely believing what I was seeing.

Another obvious candidate is when a Hibs team featuring such luminaries as Alan O'Brien and Ross "Sir Pointalot" Chisholm went to Tynecastle and got a well deserved 1-0 victory, aided and abetted by Casper the Ghost.

Any others?

GGTTH

Waxy
11-11-2015, 08:28 AM
Beating rangers 1-0 in the league/skol cup semi 1991.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-11-2015, 08:35 AM
Andy Watson scoring the winner in the last game of the season at Parkhead which clinched an European place for Hearts.

Thecat23
11-11-2015, 08:37 AM
Winning 0-1 at Tynecastle few years back with pretty much a reserve team. Deeks scoring the winner from the spot.

Edit.. Just read the last part of the OP, but it was that good it's worth mentioning twice 😁

My_Wife_Camille
11-11-2015, 08:54 AM
A bit more recent but the 3-1 game at Ibrox last season. We started the season horribly but absolutely blew them away that night, don't think anyone saw that coming!

HibbyScott
11-11-2015, 09:07 AM
We've endured significantly more than our fair share of (un)expected defeats over the years, but what about unexpected wins?. I mean really unexpected, given the circumstances at the time.

Facebook reminded me that yesterday was the 5th anniversary of Colin Calderwood's team, with Trakys (or whatever he was called) as the only fit striker and a defence that leaked like a sieve going to Ibrox and winning 3-0.

I remember watching the live BBC updates in my flat in Oxford (it being easier to find a place to show Scottish football in Zurich than Oxford!!) and scarcely believing what I was seeing.

Another obvious candidate is when a Hibs team featuring such luminaries as Alan O'Brien and Ross "Sir Pointalot" Chisholm went to Tynecastle and got a well deserved 1-0 victory, aided and abetted by Casper the Ghost.

Any others?

GGTTH

The Casper game at Tynie was one of my best unexpected wins! Beating Falkirk in the semi at Hampden from 3-0 down at Half Time was a massive unexpected win as well!

erin go bragh
11-11-2015, 09:09 AM
The first of many 3-0 wins at Castle Greyskull [ Ivan's treble ] The 3-0 away win against Vidiotone [ who were seeded ]

greeny
11-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Beating Hearts 2-1 just two days after being rinsed 7-0 at Ibrox

Pretty Boy
11-11-2015, 09:30 AM
27th August 1994. Hearts 0 Hibs 1.

Not because we weren't a decent team then, just because we simply didn't beat Hearts at that time. I was 8 and it was the 1st time I'd seen us beat Hearts since I'd been going to games from age 3 onwards. The celebrations were absolutely mental. Sure it was the day they opened their new 'modern' stands as well.

hibs0666
11-11-2015, 09:31 AM
The 6 2 game was unexpected - I was confident we would get 8.

--------
11-11-2015, 09:35 AM

Strangely enough, I wasn't surprised we beat them that night. That result was a deep and lasting pleasure but not really a surprise.

The 7-0 at Tynie in 1973 - THAT was a surprise. Not so much that we won, but the margin of victory.

Naples 5-0 I didn't see coming, nor Sporting 6-1. Thought we'd lose them both.

3-0 at Ibrox in the Cup in John Collins' time?

CallumLaidlaw
11-11-2015, 09:50 AM
The 3-0 win with Ivan's hat trick for me. You normally expected to go to Ibrox at that time and at the very best, scrape a draw, and we'd been humped 4-0 at Tynecastle a few weeks earlier. I got off a plane in Ibiza to a voicemail from my dad. When I told my mate the score was 3-0, 2 rangers fans overheard me and were smug about a comfortable Rangers win. Didn't believe me when I told them it was the other way round :greengrin:greengrin

Hermit Crab
11-11-2015, 09:58 AM
27th August 1994. Hearts 0 Hibs 1.

Not because we weren't a decent team then, just because we simply didn't beat Hearts at that time. I was 8 and it was the 1st time I'd seen us beat Hearts since I'd been going to games from age 3 onwards. The celebrations were absolutely mental. Sure it was the day they opened their new 'modern' stands as well.

The Gordon Hunter game? We had the gorgie road end stand and that was uncovered bucket seats then.

Pretty Boy
11-11-2015, 10:11 AM
The Gordon Hunter game? We had the gorgie road end stand and that was uncovered bucket seats then.

We did indeed, think we had half the asbestos stand as well. They had the grand opening of the Wheatfield Stand and I think the Roseburn as well, unless I'm totally making that up.

Tricla
11-11-2015, 10:14 AM
1-0 against the Savilles at ER when GOC scored in the last few mins. The one where Brebner got sent off early doors. Thought we'd lose for sure at after the sending off cos we always habe the worst luck against those scaffs.

What a joy when that goal went in though.

wpj
11-11-2015, 10:15 AM
The Souness game? The million pound squad they had put together were expected to beat everyone.

Stevie Reid
11-11-2015, 10:20 AM

I had the naivety of youth on my side, but I felt confident we would win that night.

Stevie Reid
11-11-2015, 10:29 AM
Our league cup quarter final win over Celtic in 2003 was pretty unexpected - our young team was yet to flourish and Celtic hadn't lost a domestic game before that night (18 December).

Hibernian: Andersson, Baillie, Smith, Doumbe, Whittaker, McManus (Dobbie 77), Brown, Brebner, Thomson, Riordan, O'Connor.

Subs Not Used: Hyldgaard, Nicol, Reid, Shields.

Booked:Thomson, Smith, Whittaker.

Celtic: Douglas, Varga, Balde, Kennedy, Crainey, Miller, Lambert (Beattie 81), Thompson, Wallace, Larsson, Sutton (Maloney 50).

Subs Not Used: Laursen, Guppy, Marshall.

Booked: Thompson, Kennedy.

Attendance: 9,246

Referee: J Rowbotham (Scotland).

Jonnyboy
11-11-2015, 10:29 AM
Hibs 3 Barcelona 2 and Barcelona 4 Hibs 4

Hibs 5 Napoli 0

Hibs 8 Rangers 1

lyonhibs
11-11-2015, 11:08 AM
Strangely enough, I wasn't surprised we beat them that night. That result was a deep and lasting pleasure but not really a surprise.

The 7-0 at Tynie in 1973 - THAT was a surprise. Not so much that we won, but the margin of victory.

Your last one is so unexpected, it never happened (I don't think, Mowbray was in charge for the SC 0-3) 1-0 under Collins in the league did though. don't know if it was fully unexpected as we were unbeaten in the league at the time but we thrashed them 1-0, if you know what I mean.

lyonhibs
11-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Our league cup quarter final win over Celtic in 2003 was pretty unexpected - our young team was yet to flourish and Celtic hadn't lost a domestic game before that night (18 December).

Hibernian: Andersson, Baillie, Smith, Doumbe, Whittaker, McManus (Dobbie 77), Brown, Brebner, Thomson, Riordan, O'Connor.

Celtic: Douglas, Varga, Balde, Kennedy, Crainey, Miller, Lambert (Beattie 81), Thompson, Wallace, Larsson, Sutton (Maloney 50).

Thomson from outside the box right? He scored another of his collectors item goals for us against Celtc as well, from about 2 inches in front of the goalie.

That LC run made it a great time to be a 1st year student in Glasgow. Until the final, obviously.

mim
11-11-2015, 11:18 AM

Hibs 5 Napoli 0

Hibs 8 Rangers 1

The 3-2 win against Barca wasn't really too much of a surprise after the first leg 4-4 where we could and probably should have won.
The 4-4 itself was a massive surprise. This was the Barca team who were Spanish champions and had knocked holders Real Madrid out of the European Cup to end their dominance of that tournament since its inception.

The Napoli scoreline was a huge surprise after the 4-1 away defeat, but I was pretty sure we would win the game.
The Rangers game was wartime stuff, but very pleasing nevertheless for my mum and dad at the game :wink:

HibbyScott
11-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Thomson from outside the box right? He scored another of his collectors item goals for us against Celtc as well, from about 2 inches in front of the goalie.

That LC run made it a great time to be a 1st year student in Glasgow. Until the final, obviously.

Yeah that's the one! I wasn't at the game (for reasons which I can't remember), but I remember going mental at home when it hit the back of the net!

Row H
11-11-2015, 11:35 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7766286.stm

Great day, the celebrations when the squiggler went in were something else!

iwasthere1972
11-11-2015, 11:46 AM
Loads of them including the 2-0 home win against Hearts when they came to Easter Road unbeaten in the league just a few days after the mad one had sacked George Burley. Boozy and Gary O'Connor. :flag:

#FromTheCapital
11-11-2015, 11:48 AM
1-0 against the Savilles at ER when GOC scored in the last few mins. The one where Brebner got sent off early doors. Thought we'd lose for sure at after the sending off cos we always habe the worst luck against those scaffs.

What a joy when that goal went in though.

My favourite ever goal and celebration as a hibs fan. Never seen Easter Road go so mental.

Remember it clear as day, standing in the old east terracing running down the walkway to get a good view when O'Connor was through on goal. Then.... Boom! Place erupted. Happy days.

Pretty Boy
11-11-2015, 11:53 AM

The handball by Crainey to gift us a penalty to equalise was one of the strangest things I've seen at a game. Still got no idea what he was thinking as there was absolutely no pressure on him and no need to do it.

Sure Larsson missed a free header from about 6 yards out in the dying seconds that night as well, one of of only a couple of occassions he got out of Jonathon Baillies back pocket.

Bostonhibby
11-11-2015, 12:00 PM
New years day 1973, we needed to score 7 to go top. I thought we'd get nine or ten so seven was a bit unexpected

cmcd
11-11-2015, 12:00 PM

Hibs 5 Napoli 0

Hibs 8 Rangers 1

You can add Hibs 6 Sporting Lisbon 1 😱

Sergey
11-11-2015, 12:02 PM
3-0 down at HT to Falkirk in the SC Semi gets my vote (in all honesty, we should have been 4 down) - I didn't see us coming back to win that one.

LaMotta
11-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Aberdeen in the league cup earlier this season, they were flying at the time!

Ringothedog
11-11-2015, 12:30 PM
New years day 1973, we needed to score 7 to go top. I thought we'd get nine or ten so seven was a bit unexpected

We only needed five to go top :wink:

My choice for unexpected wins would be the Drybrough Cup Final win of 5-3, especially after the hammering we took 3 months before

Bostonhibby
11-11-2015, 12:37 PM
We only needed five to go top :wink:

My choice for unexpected wins would be the Drybrough Cup Final win of 5-3, especially after the hammering we took 3 months before
You're right, we obviously eased up[emoji1]

Agree re dryburgh cup too. We were actually much better than the score implies in that one as well.

Stevie Reid
11-11-2015, 12:42 PM

Yep, great night. I remember Jonathan Bailie having a great game marking Larsson that night (EDIT: just seen Pretty Boy's post too), shame his career was curtailed so severely.

I remember going through to the semi against Rangers on a Thursday night, obviously the game was fantastic, and the ET and pens meant a late return to Edinburgh. I was managing a boozer at the time, and shortly after we got back Channel 5 repeated the whole game - so a substantial lock in was had, whilst we watched it all over again.

Dashing Bob S
11-11-2015, 12:51 PM

A little unfair. Yes, it could have been more after going in 5-0 up at half-time, but there was a busy schedule of games ahead so the team must be forgiven for taking their foot off the gas pedal in such circumstances.

Ringothedog
11-11-2015, 12:52 PM
You're right, we obviously eased up[emoji1]

Agree re dryburgh cup too. We were actually much better than the score implies in that one as well.

As an 11 year old laddie, I was really quite scared at that Celtic game, the fighting was incredible between us and them and at the other end of the ground between themselves, resulting in the delay that interrupted us and allowed them back into the game. Because of the fighting my brother dragged me out and I never got to See Hibs lift the trophy.

Bostonhibby
11-11-2015, 01:04 PM
As an 11 year old laddie, I was really quite scared at that Celtic game, the fighting was incredible between us and them and at the other end of the ground between themselves, resulting in the delay that interrupted us and allowed them back into the game. Because of the fighting my brother dragged me out and I never got to See Hibs lift the trophy.
Bizarrely, at some point on the journey back we got our hands on cardboard cut outs of the cup itself. Probably something the sponsors did. They got passed around the bus never to be seen again!

brog
11-11-2015, 01:19 PM
The 3-2 win against Barca wasn't really too much of a surprise after the first leg 4-4 where we could and probably should have won.
The 4-4 itself was a massive surprise. This was the Barca team who were Spanish champions and had knocked holders Real Madrid out of the European Cup to end their dominance of that tournament since its inception.[QUOTE=mim;4501980]

Agreed, especially as we had lost our first 8 league games that season & only won for the 1st time on 29 October!! Can you imagine if Hibs Net had existed then! :wink: We had an amazing 9 days, beating Third Lanark 8-4 on Xmas Eve, & Ronnie Simpson saving 2 pens!, the 4-4 with Barca away on 27 Dec, a home win v Dun Utd on Hogmanay & a 2-1 win at PBS on 2nd Jan

Liam89
11-11-2015, 02:00 PM
Aberdeen in the league cup earlier this season, they were flying at the time!

I was strangely confident we'd win that won. Although, I've been confident about the majority of games this season!

Jonnyboy
11-11-2015, 02:05 PM
The handball by Crainey to gift us a penalty to equalise was one of the strangest things I've seen at a game. Still got no idea what he was thinking as there was absolutely no pressure on him and no need to do it.

Sure Larsson missed a free header from about 6 yards out in the dying seconds that night as well, one of of only a couple of occassions he got out of Jonathon Baillies back pocket.

Pretty sure the handball was John Kennedy. Like you I am puzzled as to what the hell was going through his mind!

Smartie
11-11-2015, 02:18 PM
Yep, great night. I remember Jonathan Bailie having a great game marking Larsson that night (EDIT: just seen Pretty Boy's post too), shame his career was curtailed so severely.

I remember going through to the semi against Rangers on a Thursday night, obviously the game was fantastic, and the ET and pens meant a late return to Edinburgh. I was managing a boozer at the time, and shortly after we got back Channel 5 repeated the whole game - so a substantial lock in was had, whilst we watched it all over again.

That semi gets my vote.

We'd realised the state that the nation's footballing finances were in so we'd slashed the wage bill, got rid of the high earners and opted to go with the kids (with only the likes of Colin Murdock to provide some much-needed experience). Even though they were just kids they paid their taxes like good, responsible adults do and the nation's valuable public services were able to benefit.

Unable to make do with the income from selling out 50,000 capacity Ibrox every week, making a fortune of flogging kits to said punters, taking the lion's share of the country's tv revenue and a very substantial Champions League income Rangers (as they were then known) had started to operate a dodgy EBT scheme. This scheme was to later be panned by the country's top law lords and deemed illegal, however at the time it allowed the club to buy players who would otherwise have been outwith their price range.

Rangers team that night - Klos, Ball, DeBoer, Moore, Ricksen, Ross, Arteta, DeBoer, Nerlinger, Arveladze, Mols.

Although in the end, it doesn't matter how many caps you have for Holland or how much money you have in the bank. When your DeBoer brothers lack the composure of the much-maligned-but-boy-did-he-do-well-when-it-mattered-most Murdock you lose penalty shoot-outs.

Join us later for evil getting its own back when in-administration Livingston's financially super pumped superstars get the better of Hibernian's plucky kids.

SteveHFC
11-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Expected us to be pumped by Aberdeen this season.

zlatan
11-11-2015, 02:49 PM
The Huns semi in 2003 was just as unexpected as the Celtic result I'd say, only 5000 Hibs fans there says it all about expectations. Don't think I've gone as mental at the end of a football match.

Sadly if you were to start a truly expected defeats thread one of my first answers would be the consequent final.

Stevie Reid
11-11-2015, 03:06 PM
That semi gets my vote.

We'd realised the state that the nation's footballing finances were in so we'd slashed the wage bill, got rid of the high earners and opted to go with the kids (with only the likes of Colin Murdock to provide some much-needed experience). Even though they were just kids they paid their taxes like good, responsible adults do and the nation's valuable public services were able to benefit.

Unable to make do with the income from selling out 50,000 capacity Ibrox every week, making a fortune of flogging kits to said punters, taking the lion's share of the country's tv revenue and a very substantial Champions League income Rangers (as they were then known) had started to operate a dodgy EBT scheme. This scheme was to later be panned by the country's top law lords and deemed illegal, however at the time it allowed the club to buy players who would otherwise have been outwith their price range.

Rangers team that night - Klos, Ball, DeBoer, Moore, Ricksen, Ross, Arteta, DeBoer, Nerlinger, Arveladze, Mols.

Although in the end, it doesn't matter how many caps you have for Holland or how much money you have in the bank. When your DeBoer brothers lack the composure of the much-maligned-but-boy-did-he-do-well-when-it-mattered-most Murdock you lose penalty shoot-outs.

Join us later for evil getting its own back when in-administration Livingston's financially super pumped superstars get the better of Hibernian's plucky kids.

That still sticks in my throat - although Livi were better than us on the day and we didn't really show up, David Fernandez absolutely ran the show for them. he was on loan from Celtic, and should have been the first person to go when they went into administration, given that his livelihood was secure. Instead, a local businessman paid his considerable wages to keep him on, whilst others around him lost their jobs.

Forza Fred
11-11-2015, 05:59 PM
The 4-4 itself was a massive surprise. This was the Barca team who were Spanish champions and had knocked holders Real Madrid out of the European Cup to end their dominance of that tournament since its inception.

The Napoli scoreline was a huge surprise after the 4-1 away defeat, but I was pretty sure we would win the game.
The Rangers game was wartime stuff, but very pleasing nevertheless for my mum and dad at the game :wink:

I too was completely confident that we would beat Napoli, as I think were many Hibs supporters at the time.

Not so the media, and I can remember after getting home after the match and watching Scotsport, Alex Crampsie's comment that.."it's a good crowd given the state of the tie"...a reference to us starting after a 1-4 deficit after the first leg.

We EXPECTED to win against any European opposition back then......

11-11-2015, 06:07 PM
Winning 0-1 at Tynecastle few years back with pretty much a reserve team. Deeks scoring the winner from the spot.

Edit.. Just read the last part of the OP, but it was that good it's worth mentioning twice 

Definitly this one! We had a make shift team out that night due to so many injuries. I had fully expected us to get an absolute tanking that night!

ancient hibee
11-11-2015, 06:09 PM
Barcelona and Napoli of course.But also 2-1 against Rangers in the 1958 cup semi after drawing 2-2.You didn't usually get a second chance.

Smartie
11-11-2015, 06:13 PM
Definitly this one! We had a make shift team out that night due to so many injuries. I had fully expected us to get an absolute tanking that night!

Aye, that one was a cracker.

I started following Hibs regularly during the 22 in a row run. We had some unbelievably good teams struggle against some unbelievably bad Hearts teams.

And then, many years later we rock up at Tynecastle with Ian Murray and Steven Thicot at CB, Stevenson and (?) Ross Chisholm playing CM and manage to get a shut out and 3 points? And they were probably being heavily subsidised by the Lithuanian taxpayer, not that they knew it at the time as they appeared to be borrowing the money from themselves to pay their massively inflated wages.

Mental.

I think Mixu was manager at that time - he deserves a medal for managing to pull that result off.

craigmounthibby
11-11-2015, 07:01 PM
The 2nd leg of the 1985 league cup semi against Der Hun. Fair enough we were 2-0 up from the first leg, but cooper scored from a free kick to make it 2-1 and we hung on all night for the victory. Roughie played an absolute blinder.

B.H.F.C
11-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Don't know if mentioned but winning 3 nil at Ibrox under Calderwood has to be up there with the most unexpected results in the history of football, never mind just Hibs.

I think there was only about 200 Hibs fans there to see it and it was a few days after we'd been pumped by Hearts at ER.

brog
11-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Aye, that one was a cracker.

I started following Hibs regularly during the 22 in a row run. We had some unbelievably good teams struggle against some unbelievably bad Hearts teams.

And then, many years later we rock up at Tynecastle with Ian Murray and Steven Thicot at CB, Stevenson and (?) Ross Chisholm playing CM and manage to get a shut out and 3 points? And they were probably being heavily subsidised by the Lithuanian taxpayer, not that they knew it at the time as they appeared to be borrowing the money from themselves to pay their massively inflated wages.

Mental.

I think Mixu was manager at that time - he deserves a medal for managing to pull that result off.

We had 3 left footed midfielders in total, Rankin was the 3rd! We had AOB playing & we brought on Joe Keenan, that's what you call taking the p--s!!!

Bristolhibby
11-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Hibs 7-0 Livingston

January/February 2006 I think. Flew up to catch a game on a cheap Easyjet flight. Was not expecting 7-0!

Also remember the squiggler game v Celtic being unexpected in 2008.

From a Scotland perspective it's got to be 2007 France 1-0 Scotland. Followed by Croatia 0-1 Scotland in June 2013.

J

lyonhibs
11-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Don't know if mentioned but winning 3 nil at Ibrox under Calderwood has to be up there with the most unexpected results in the history of football, never mind just Hibs.

I think there was only about 200 Hibs fans there to see it and it was a few days after we'd been pumped by Hearts at ER.

Nah, just in the OP 😝

That game was what inspired the thread.

Galahibby
11-11-2015, 08:11 PM

Stll one of my favourite ever games. The atmosphere was something else :flag:

B.H.F.C
11-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Nah, just in the OP 😝

That game was what inspired the thread.

Should really read before posting eh.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-11-2015, 08:22 PM
From a Scotland perspective it's got to be 2007 France 1-0 Scotland.

J

Aye, that was a great night, I was in Paris for a week and never saw that Blackpool Tower thing once! :greengrin

Watched the Scotland game v Lithuania the previous Saturday in a boozer on Upper Street in London, ended up bevvying with a group of England fans and watched their game later on that night, Eurostar over the next day, Eurostar back the following Friday, Upton Park on the Saturday (IIRC Hibs let my coupon down for a good few quid, I'm sure we were 1 up v Falkirk but, someone got sent off and it ended up as a draw) and home on the Sunday!

Zazu62
11-11-2015, 08:29 PM
Has to be the 1-0 win at tynecastle when riordan scored the penalty, remember looking at the team sheet in horror before the game

Glory Lurker
11-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Not the most important game ever, but beating United at Tannadice in April (or thereabouts) 1982 was a huge surprise. We hadn't won an away game all season and then managed to do it against a United team that was flying (and won the league the next year). Memory probably getting carried away with itself , but I think we then won our next away game, too.

Another big Scotland win was 2-0 against France at Hampden in '89, against Franck and all that. We had a good team then, sure, but the doing we got at Parc des Princes in the game over there surprised nobody, unlike our win.

3pm
11-11-2015, 08:33 PM
St Mirren 1, Hibs 4!

Jonnyboy
11-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Not the most important game ever, but beating United at Tannadice in April (or thereabouts) 1982 was a huge surprise. We hadn't won an away game all season and then managed to do it against a United team that was flying (and won the league the next year). Memory probably getting carried away with itself , but I think we then won our next away game, too.

Another big Scotland win was 2-0 against France at Hampden in '89, against Franck and all that. We had a good team then, sure, but the doing we got at Parc des Princes in the game over there surprised nobody, unlike our win.

Yewp, beat St Mirren in the next game :greengrin Hard to believe but it was Stuart Turnbull that scored the Tannadice goal :shocked:

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_results_season.php?from=31&competition=0&update=Update

Baldy Foghorn
11-11-2015, 08:41 PM
Videoton 0 - Hibs 3

Forza Fred
11-11-2015, 11:08 PM
I guess the one I hoped we'd win but never thought it would be in such a famous manner was when I was back on holiday inAugust 2005 and went through to Ibrox with now current board member Frank Dougan.

On the way Frank thought that we could be in for a thumping, but Ivan Sproule had other ideas and got his famous hat trick.

Watched the game with Wattie Robb and Maude McFarlane, who are no longer with us, and it certainly was a match to remember!

Certainly didn't think we'd score 3 and Ivan get a hat trick after coming on as sub.

Oh, and Zibi was in goals too!

Ringothedog
12-11-2015, 07:33 AM
Videoton 0 - Hibs 3

Good call, what a great trip that was. Will never travel that distance by bus again.

jodjam
12-11-2015, 07:42 AM
Celtc 0 Hibs 1 Kano - Back in the 80's. We were down the bottom of the league with Dumbarton with the season coming to an end. Never saw this win coming. When we went to Dumbarton (i think the week after) the club ran buses such was the importance and we took a big crowd.

Bill Milne
12-11-2015, 07:56 AM
Has to be the 1-0 win at tynecastle when riordan scored the penalty, remember looking at the team sheet in horror before the game

Yes, I was in the BMC before the game and the Yams were confidently predicting a 7-0, at least, thrashing for us. I couldn't really argue against this assessment so pure joy at what followed!!!

hibs0666
12-11-2015, 08:45 AM
League Cup versus Celtic in 1985 when we drew 4-4 but beat them on penalties. What a game.

One Pierce O'Leary. :thumbsup:

Stevie Reid
12-11-2015, 08:49 AM
Videoton 0 - Hibs 3

I only found out recently that Videton were in the UEFA Cup Final in 1985, which made our victory even more impressive.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-11-2015, 09:35 AM
(IIRC Hibs let my coupon down for a good few quid, I'm sure we were 1 up v Falkirk but, someone got sent off and it ended up as a draw)

Just been reading up on this game, never realised that Falkirk had two players sent off, Donaldson sent off for Hibs for two yellows including one for celebrating scoring the first goal! :rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
12-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Good call, what a great trip that was. Will never travel that distance by bus again.

I flew on the charter flight, but after taking bus to Liege and Anderlecht I won't do abroad by bus again......

I only found out recently that Videton were in the UEFA Cup Final in 1985, which made our victory even more impressive.

Sure they were seeded when we beat them......

HappyHanlon
12-11-2015, 11:09 AM

[QUOTE][Hibernian: Ma-Kalambay, van Zanten, Thicot, Murray, Hanlon, O'Brien (Keenan 75), Chisholm, Rankin, Stevenson, Riordan, Fletcher.
Subs Not Used: McNeil, Pinau, McCormack, Campbell, Cropley, Tolmie./QUOTE]

:cb

Greencore
12-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Celtic1 Hibs3
Hartson, o'connor, brown and sproule.

--------
12-11-2015, 11:28 AM

Hibs 5 Napoli 0

Hibs 8 Rangers 1

John, are you seriously suggesting that you were at that 8-1 game - in 1942????

You're older than I though, mate (though perhaps still younger than you look). :wink:

My dad was at that game and yes, he was a a wee bit taken by surprise at the margin of victory. (He was still going on and on and ON about it twenty years later.)

Bobby Combe was the star that day, scoring four in the #9 shirt.

The Huns swore it was a fluke and threatened dire revenge in the return at Ibrox a few weeks later.

In fact, the score at the second game was only 1-0 - to the Hibees, Bobby scoring again to rub it in. Five in two games against the Huns, eh? Whaur's yer Wullie Woodburn noo?

I DOremember the other three games, though I was only present at the last, and yes, that was a totally wonderful evening, completely unexpected.

Mark79
12-11-2015, 12:11 PM
My favourite ever goal and celebration as a hibs fan. Never seen Easter Road go so mental.

Remember it clear as day, standing in the old east terracing running down the walkway to get a good view when O'Connor was through on goal. Then.... Boom! Place erupted. Happy days.

I was sat in the ff upper and fell half way down the stairs. Brilliant.

heretoday
12-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Beating Real Madrid was unexpected. It was a friendly but they took it seriously all right.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-11-2015, 06:55 PM
1887 - Hibs 2 PNE 1

Jonnyboy
12-11-2015, 07:51 PM
John, are you seriously suggesting that you were at that 8-1 game - in 1942????

You're older than I though, mate (though perhaps still younger than you look). :wink:

My dad was at that game and yes, he was a a wee bit taken by surprise at the margin of victory. (He was still going on and on and ON about it twenty years later.)

Bobby Combe was the star that day, scoring four in the #9 shirt.

The Huns swore it was a fluke and threatened dire revenge in the return at Ibrox a few weeks later.

In fact, the score at the second game was only 1-0 - to the Hibees, Bobby scoring again to rub it in. Five in two games against the Huns, eh? Whaur's yer Wullie Woodburn noo?

I DOremember the other three games, though I was only present at the last, and yes, that was a totally wonderful evening, completely unexpected.

:greengrin

N'ah, just quoting games from the past that we won against the odds. It was a full strength Rangers (remember them?) and we horsed them good and proper :greengrin

PatHead
12-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Beating Hearts 2-1 just two days after being rinsed 7-0 at Ibrox

Thought we won that 3 0 :devil:

PatHead
12-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Surprised League Cup final in 1972 hasn't been mentioned. Although we had beaten Celtic in the Dryburgh Cup earlier in the season it was still our first major cup win in quite some time.

The other one that jumps out was beating Rangers 1 0 in the cup semi when Keith, Keith, Keith scored v Andy Goram the season he left Hibs,

Sir David Gray
12-11-2015, 11:09 PM
Just been reading up on this game, never realised that Falkirk had two players sent off, Donaldson sent off for Hibs for two yellows including one for celebrating scoring the first goal! :rolleyes:

We had one of Europe's top referees* in charge that day as well, Mr Willie Collum.

*According to Hugh Dallas.

caithnesshibee
13-11-2015, 06:10 AM
Winning 1-0 at Ibrox in the mid to late 90s. Kevin Harper got taken down about 3 yards outside the box and the ref gave a penalty which Darren Jackson duly converted! Was a game that Rangers pumped us and had well over 20 corners but Leighton was inspired! Even more sweet to get the win after a dodgy penalty!

bigwheel
13-11-2015, 06:12 AM
1887 - Hibs 2 PNE 1

yes, against the form book.... - thought we were solid in the second half.....:greengrin

Smartie
13-11-2015, 08:30 AM
Winning 1-0 at Ibrox in the mid to late 90s. Kevin Harper got taken down about 3 yards outside the box and the ref gave a penalty which Darren Jackson duly converted! Was a game that Rangers pumped us and had well over 20 corners but Leighton was inspired! Even more sweet to get the win after a dodgy penalty!

Yep, I remember that one.

It was a real bolt from the blue because they were very good at the time.

We didn't win there for years after that - possibly until the Ivan Sproule game.

erin go bragh
14-11-2015, 08:20 PM
1887 - Hibs 2 PNE 1
Billed as the best in the world decider . did we no win it 3-1 tho .

erin go bragh
14-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Videoton 0 - Hibs 3
Posted this 7th post BF !did spell them wrong tho ; >

GGTTH07
15-11-2015, 09:55 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7766286.stm

Great day, the celebrations when the squiggler went in were something else!

Anyone got highlights to this? Never seen the highlights come to think of it!

Tom Hart RIP
15-11-2015, 01:02 PM
I remember me and my mate going to Parkhead in mid 80s with poor squad and winning 1-0 with a Kano goal. For some reason we ended up in Main stand with Celtic fans but survived.

Tom Hart RIP
15-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Beating Rangers in 1991 skol cup semi was another. We had a decent team but they were a top side full of internationals. In fact I'm sure it was Walter smiths first trophy that he hadn't won after a double then treble.

Scouse Hibee
15-11-2015, 01:10 PM
Beating Rangers in 1991 skol cup semi was another. We had a decent team but they were a top side full of internationals. In fact I'm sure it was Walter smiths first trophy that he hadn't won after a double then treble.

This was one of my early games with my knowledge of Hibs being pretty scant. The atmosphere beforehand and the massive task ahead was made well known to me, the joy of sharing the celebrations with many happy hibbys was brilliant.

Tom Hart RIP
15-11-2015, 01:17 PM
This was one of my early games with my knowledge of Hibs being pretty scant. The atmosphere beforehand and the massive task ahead was made well known to me, the joy of sharing the celebrations with many happy hibbys was brilliant.

The fact that we knew we had Dunfermline in the final rather than Celtic made it even more special.

Tom Hart RIP
15-11-2015, 01:28 PM
It will probably sound amazing nowadays but there was a time in early 70s when I wouldn't have been surprised to win against anyone home or away.
It was only after the Juventus game that I realised we maybe weren't the best team in the world. Damn you Altifini.
I still think the tornadoes at their peak would have beat them though