PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow City FC

Speedy
08-11-2015, 09:02 PM
Firstly, congratulations to Glasgow City & commiserations to Hibs ladies.

I know Glasgow have dominated for a while now and was interested to hear if anyone knew why. I don't really follow women's football so wasn't sure if it was like men's where the richest clubs tend to have the most success.

Is it the training/coaching, money, successful players moving to have more success?

Brightside
08-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Firstly, congratulations to Glasgow City & commiserations to Hibs ladies.

I know Glasgow have dominated for a while now and was interested to hear if anyone knew why. I don't really follow women's football so wasn't sure if it was like men's where the richest clubs tend to have the most success.

Is it the training/coaching, money, successful players moving to have more success?

Yes.

Hannah_hfc
08-11-2015, 11:49 PM
From what I understand Glasgow City have always had a very professional structure within the club from the very start.

Women's teams like Aberdeen and Hibs have existed alot longer, but haven't always had the support from their clubs. I know from playing football in the lower leagues in the North East that Aberdeen ladies were striving for stronger links with the club and I think this has only been achieved over the last few years. I can imagine Hibs may have been in a similar position.

Glasgow City are miles ahead but hopefully in the coming years, teams like Hibs, Celtic and Aberdeen will start challenging them more, they are still very good teams.

Bit of a ramble but I hope that somewhat answers your question! :)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
09-11-2015, 05:24 AM
There was a documentary about Glasgow City on Alba last year - they're amateur but very professional if that makes sense? They train most days after their work.

They fundraiser themselves and get a lot of sponsorship. Lists of voluntary hours seem to go into making them as successful as they are.

Ronniekirk
09-11-2015, 08:03 AM
Won the Treble the last four years .The rest are playing catch up Is thier Manager the Scott Booth that played for Aberdeen ?

Gettin' Auld
09-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Won the Treble the last four years .The rest are playing catch up Is thier Manager the Scott Booth that played for Aberdeen ?

Aye it's the same guy.

lucky
09-11-2015, 09:02 AM
I'm not into women's football and wouldn't want Hibs to "waste" money on supporting the Hibs women's team.

Brightside
09-11-2015, 09:15 AM
I'm not into women's football and wouldn't want Hibs to "waste" money on supporting the Hibs women's team.

What about the money we "waste" on youth football? FitFans? Education? Special needs? Its all wasted eh? You think we don't need more promotion of the Hibs brand? We're not exactly turning fans away. I'm very hopefully that those currently running the club aren't as close minded as some of the fans.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-11-2015, 09:23 AM
From what I understand Glasgow City have always had a very professional structure within the club from the very start.

Women's teams like Aberdeen and Hibs have existed alot longer, but haven't always had the support from their clubs. I know from playing football in the lower leagues in the North East that Aberdeen ladies were striving for stronger links with the club and I think this has only been achieved over the last few years. I can imagine Hibs may have been in a similar position.

Glasgow City are miles ahead but hopefully in the coming years, teams like Hibs, Celtic and Aberdeen will start challenging them more, they are still very good teams.

Bit of a ramble but I hope that somewhat answers your question! :)

Its maybe not the most popular view here, but i dont get the whole thing as to why (men's) football clubs should be backing women's football. I heard Man Uts get a load of gyp for not having one recently.

While i think its good that Hibs women are good, i dont want any money that i put into the club going to them. To be brutally honest, if they cant sustain themselves, then Hibs shouldnt be diverting time or resources to them.

I know there is a big love-in with women's football just now (BBC went mad because of England at world cup) but i already have more than enough men's football to watch. If women's football is to succeed, then surely it is incumbent upon more women to support it and play it.

I dont wish it ill, i just want my club to focus on it's own job, of putting a successful professional team on the park. Anything that isnt contributing to that is a distraction IMO.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-11-2015, 09:26 AM
What about the money we "waste" on youth football? FitFans? Education? Special needs? Its all wasted eh? You think we don't need more promotion of the Hibs brand? We're not exactly turning fans away. I'm very hopefully that those currently running the club aren't as close minded as some of the fans.

Im with Lucky.

If it isn't contributing to a successful first team, then we shouldnt be doing it. If it is, then keep doing it.

I don't know about any of those things you list above, but the my test above would apply equally to all of them.

We as a club should be ruthlessly focused on our one key aim.

HappyAsHellas
09-11-2015, 09:37 AM
There are a lot more teenage girls who go to ER now to watch Hibs as opposed to when I was a youngster. Perhaps some of that has to do with football being more accessible for girls in school etc. If it ups the fan base, then it has to be good. Don't think the women's team detracts from the finances for the first team in any way whatsoever.

NAE NOOKIE
09-11-2015, 09:46 AM
During the coverage yesterday I heard a Glasgow City person say not 'all' of our players get paid .. which suggests to me some do.

I feel Hibs should help the women's team as much as they can ... IMO its good for the club. The women got a mention on the main sport article on BBC Breakfast this morning, when was the last time that happened to the mens team?

I would imagine Marathonbet weren't unhappy about that either.

Brightside
09-11-2015, 09:52 AM
Its maybe not the most popular view here, but i dont get the whole thing as to why (men's) football clubs should be backing women's football. I heard Man Uts get a load of gyp for not having one recently.

While i think its good that Hibs women are good, i dont want any money that i put into the club going to them. To be brutally honest, if they cant sustain themselves, then Hibs shouldnt be diverting time or resources to them.

I know there is a big love-in with women's football just now (BBC went mad because of England at world cup) but i already have more than enough men's football to watch. If women's football is to succeed, then surely it is incumbent upon more women to support it and play it.

I dont wish it ill, i just want my club to focus on it's own job, of putting a successful professional team on the park. Anything that isnt contributing to that is a distraction IMO.

Not sure if you've been on Holiday the last 20 years or so...BUT Hibernian MENS Football Club (that doesn't actually exist but lets roll with it) cannot sustain itself. You may not like it but the club is pushing more and more to becoming a Community club and that model includes everyone who can play should play.

Brightside
09-11-2015, 09:53 AM
There are a lot more teenage girls who go to ER now to watch Hibs as opposed to when I was a youngster. Perhaps some of that has to do with football being more accessible for girls in school etc. If it ups the fan base, then it has to be good. Don't think the women's team detracts from the finances for the first team in any way whatsoever.

It doesn't... its only in the last year or so that they didn't have to buy their own strips!

lucky
09-11-2015, 10:01 AM

Happy to support the development of Hibs as a brand but paying for a team that's not going to contribute to the development of the club is not something that I think we should be doing. The fan initiatives make fans part of the club but not an other team.

Brightside
09-11-2015, 10:09 AM
Happy to support the development of Hibs as a brand but paying for a team that's not going to contribute to the development of the club is not something that I think we should be doing. The fan initiatives make fans part of the club but not an other team.

OK - lets extend that then. We should surely do away with Hibs at u8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15 levels? 1 Player out off every 300 or so that go through the doors is surely a waste of funds?

stoneyburn hibs
09-11-2015, 10:10 AM

Promoting the brand Hibernian by any means gets my vote.

NAE NOOKIE
09-11-2015, 10:22 AM

Its not unusual for football clubs in Europe to have other sports attached to them like handball, basketball, water polo etc. As far as I'm concerned it would be a sad day where Hibs and anybody who supports them wouldn't want to be supportive of a women's football team who carry this clubs name and colours.

As far as I'm aware the team was set up independently of the professional club, but by people who support Hibs and wanted to be identified with that. Later on ( as far as I'm aware ) they were brought into the club and are now officially representing Hibernian FC as the women's team of the club. I for one was very pleased to see that happen.

Do I think any of the resources which need to be used to put a successful professional team on the park should be diverted to the women's team, no I don't. But I do think that the club should do everything it can in other ways to encourage girls to join the female teams of the club, like providing strips and giving them full access to the training facilities and things like physiotherapy etc.

They have made it to the Champions league and you wouldn't hear me complaining if they were allowed to use the stadium for that. Lets face it, they are unlikely to go far in the competition, but what a boost it would give them to run out at ER.

GGT ( all ) TH

P.S.

If you think it should be incumbent only on women to encourage, help and promote women's football perhaps you should tell that to the 500 to 1000 women and girls who turn out to support and encourage the professional team every other Saturday.

flash
09-11-2015, 10:25 AM
OK - lets extend that then. We should surely do away with Hibs at u8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15 levels? 1 Player out off every 300 or so that go through the doors is surely a waste of funds?

I actually agree with that. We spend a fortune on youth development for barely any return.

Malthibby
09-11-2015, 10:28 AM
During the coverage yesterday I heard a Glasgow City person say not 'all' of our players get paid .. which suggests to me some do.

I feel Hibs should help the women's team as much as they can ... IMO its good for the club. The women got a mention on the main sport article on BBC Breakfast this morning, when was the last time that happened to the mens team?

I would imagine Marathonbet weren't unhappy about that either.

Exactly. I think we should support women's footie anyway, but the bigger picture is that it's also good for the Hibs brand, & does encourage more women into football.
The profile is increasing & more teams are taking it more seriously. If people can't grasp the notion of women's footie, at least try & see that there are benefits for Hibs.
I think Hibs should offer more - it's a fundemental part of our move towards a community club.
GG

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-11-2015, 11:30 AM
Not sure if you've been on Holiday the last 20 years or so...BUT Hibernian MENS Football Club (that doesn't actually exist but lets roll with it) cannot sustain itself. You may not like it but the club is pushing more and more to becoming a Community club and that model includes everyone who can play should play.

I don't really understand your point about not being able to sustain ourselves. We have done for around 130 years.

And our problems in recent years, on the pitch, came when the football club took their eye off the ball with regards our on-pitch performances.

What does a 'Community Club' even mean? It seems to be one of those virtuous but fairly meaningless phrases that gets banded about by people. Usually in a patronising, pat-on-the-head to the wee team kind of way (i.e. anyone who is not the Old Firm).

We already are a community club, in the sense that our community of fans exists, and pays to sustain its club to be a professional men's football team. I'm not sure these other initiatives contribute to that, but IF THEY DO, then we should keep doing them. If they don't, its not our job.

And you might think so, but i'm pretty sure that the vast majority of fans who buy STs would not be keen to do so if they thought their cash was being used for anything other than a successful first team. I certainly wouldn't, and most of the guys i go with would feel the same i think.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do the other things, but i don't understand how we can without taking some degree of resource from our core function.

Brightside
09-11-2015, 11:40 AM
I don't really understand your point about not being able to sustain ourselves. We have done for around 130 years.

And our problems in recent years, on the pitch, came when the football club took their eye off the ball with regards our on-pitch performances.

What does a 'Community Club' even mean? It seems to be one of those virtuous but fairly meaningless phrases that gets banded about by people. Usually in a patronising, pat-on-the-head to the wee team kind of way (i.e. anyone who is not the Old Firm).

We already are a community club, in the sense that our community of fans exists, and pays to sustain its club to be a professional men's football team. I'm not sure these other initiatives contribute to that, but IF THEY DO, then we should keep doing them. If they don't, its not our job.

And you might think so, but i'm pretty sure that the vast majority of fans who buy STs would not be keen to do so if they thought their cash was being used for anything other than a successful first team. I certainly wouldn't, and most of the guys i go with would feel the same i think.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do the other things, but i don't understand how we can without taking some degree of resource from our core function.

We have been sustained by STF for years!
The move to a community club is too make us sustainable via the community ownership model. Luckily STF is gifting us 51% to enable that ownership.

Traditional football is struggling outside the very top clubs. If we do not broaden our "church" we will eventually cease to exist.

Ringothedog
09-11-2015, 11:43 AM
I can understand both points of view, I would like to see Hibs support the ladies team with Funds, this could possibly come from having the option when buying a Season Ticket to add in an extra amount which would be donated directly to help with the Running of Hibernian Ladies football team. 1000 of us donating an extra £25 each would be enormous to them.

Just a thought

Brightside
09-11-2015, 11:56 AM
I can understand both points of view, I would like to see Hibs support the ladies team with Funds, this could possibly come from having the option when buying a Season Ticket to add in an extra amount which would be donated directly to help with the Running of Hibernian Ladies football team. 1000 of us donating an extra £25 each would be enormous to them.

Just a thought

An excellent thought.

woodythehibee
09-11-2015, 11:59 AM
It doesn't... its only in the last year or so that they didn't have to buy their own strips!

Pretty sure the girls are/were responsible for finding their own sponsor, otherwise they would have to fork out money themselves in order to play.

worcesterhibby
09-11-2015, 12:07 PM
I'm sure it is quite possible for Hibs to give lots of support for the Ladies team without it impacting on the resources that are available for the first team. We have fantastic facilities that aren't be used 24/7, we have strip deals with Nike that could include supplying match strips and training gear FOC for the ladies team, we have admin staff that could help out with the paperwork etc. None of this is going to adversely effect the First team and it helps build brand Hibs and encourages women to support the club and get behind our various teams then fantastic. This is the 21st century after all.

Personally I don't get a lot out of watching womens football, I watched the last 10 minutes of the game at the weekend and I thought the standard was pretty low (by comparison to Championship football) but just because I don't want to watch it doesn't mean we shouldn't be supporting the team and being proud of what they have achieved.

"Go Girls!"

Brightside
09-11-2015, 12:13 PM
I'm sure it is quite possible for Hibs to give lots of support for the Ladies team without it impacting on the resources that are available for the first team. We have fantastic facilities that aren't be used 24/7, we have strip deals with Nike that could include supplying match strips and training gear FOC for the ladies team, we have admin staff that could help out with the paperwork etc. None of this is going to adversely effect the First team and it helps build brand Hibs and encourages women to support the club and get behind our various teams then fantastic. This is the 21st century after all.

Personally I don't get a lot out of watching womens football, I watched the last 10 minutes of the game at the weekend and I thought the standard was pretty low (by comparison to Championship football) but just because I don't want to watch it doesn't mean we shouldn't be supporting the team and being proud of what they have achieved.

"Go Girls!"

TBF the club are doing more to offer facilities etc, and all the age groups have use of HTC. The halftime draw bucket collectors are all part of Hibs Girls now also. So it all helps.

That game on Sunday was awful - I have to agree. I've seen both teams play on many occasions and normally you will see some excellent passing football. The weather killed the game, and the bottom line is womens football is never great under awful conditions.

My_Wife_Camille
09-11-2015, 12:48 PM

Just a thought
What about the people who are actually interested in women's football just pay to go to the games the same as we do for the men's team? That way the women's teams plays within its means, the same as the men's team.

Give them strips and somewhere to play/train. The rest should be their own responsibility IMO.

Brightside
09-11-2015, 12:59 PM
What about the people who are actually interested in women's football just pay to go to the games the same as we do for the men's team? That way the women's teams plays within its means, the same as the men's team.

Give them strips and somewhere to play/train. The rest should be their own responsibility IMO.

My irony meter is about to explode! :greengrin

My_Wife_Camille
09-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Do you know what irony means?

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-11-2015, 01:09 PM

OK, well how about the women's game find some rich benefactors who want to absorb losses?

Ultimately, if enough people like and enjoy women's football, it will thrive. But that is probably going to have to be women, because large numbers of men are unlikely to switch to watching what is ultimately, a sub-standard version of the game. That's just the reality.

The arguments about sustainability are really a different matter, for a different thread. But there were not thousands of people wanting to watch that cup final, and interest in the women's game is sustained only through very preferential media treatment that is out of step with its actual popularity.

Brightside
09-11-2015, 01:24 PM
Do you know what irony means?

I do indeed. You are surely being ironic to say that the men's game plays within its means? The opposite is true ergo irony would appear to be correctly used?

Brightside
09-11-2015, 01:28 PM
OK, well how about the women's game find some rich benefactors who want to absorb losses?

Ultimately, if enough people like and enjoy women's football, it will thrive. But that is probably going to have to be women, because large numbers of men are unlikely to switch to watching what is ultimately, a sub-standard version of the game. That's just the reality.

The arguments about sustainability are really a different matter, for a different thread. But there were not thousands of people wanting to watch that cup final, and interest in the women's game is sustained only through very preferential media treatment that is out of step with its actual popularity.

1000s of people did watch it. Its a growing sport... a few years back 50 people and a dug turned up to watch it. Hibs should be involved in that.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-11-2015, 01:34 PM
1000s of people did watch it. Its a growing sport... a few years back 50 people and a dug turned up to watch it. Hibs should be involved in that.

Really? If that is the case, i stand corrected. But it didn't look like thousands to me.

We can just agree to disagree then. I don't care about women's fitba, you obviously do, let's just leave it at that.

Brightside
09-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Really? If that is the case, i stand corrected. But it didn't look like thousands to me.

We can just agree to disagree then. I don't care about women's fitba, you obviously do, let's just leave it at that.

1329 paying fans. :aok:

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-11-2015, 01:47 PM
1329 paying fans. :aok:

Ha ha, not sure that constitutes thousands (plural).

Brightside
09-11-2015, 01:54 PM
:wink: More than a thousand though...which isn't far off what the majority of Championship teams get unless we are in town.

lucky
09-11-2015, 02:42 PM

Now your being silly. Youth football and bringing players through is an important part of Hibs. In my opinion the women's football team brings nothing to the 1st team and should be a separate club.

My_Wife_Camille
09-11-2015, 03:00 PM
:wink: More than a thousand though...which isn't far off what the majority of Championship teams get unless we are in town.
Probably because it was a cup final and not just a run of the mill league games. It meant that the girls had the added bonus of having their Uncles and cousins came to the game as well instead of just their mums and dads.

GreenCastle
09-11-2015, 03:31 PM
Hibernian is a football club.

There are many different stands to the football club.

For fans to say the women's side doesn't have a place is complete nonsense and narrow mind thinking.

Hibs should be doing everything they can to offer opportunities to everyone to be part of the bigger picture - growing Hibs name in world football.

Of course the men's team should be prioroity but that doesn't mean that other strands of the club aren't important.

We could grow our fan base if more girls come to games and raise our profile in Europe if the womens' team does well.

Regarding Glasgow City - they have a full time coach (Scott Booth) - have had the carrot of Champions League Football for the last few years. Thus meaning they can usually cherry pick players from other teams. However they often loose money in Europe due to travel costs.

Like Celtic in the mens game though the English league sides are now taking more Scottish talent down South and several Scottish womens players now play in Europe also.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Hibernian is a football club.

There are many different stands to the football club.

For fans to say the women's side doesn't have a place is complete nonsense and narrow mind thinking.

Hibs should be doing everything they can to offer opportunities to everyone to be part of the bigger picture - growing Hibs name in world football.

Of course the men's team should be prioroity but that doesn't mean that other strands of the club aren't important.

We could grow our fan base if more girls come to games and raise our profile in Europe if the womens' team does well.

Regarding Glasgow City - they have a full time coach (Scott Booth) - have had the carrot of Champions League Football for the last few years. Thus meaning they can usually cherry pick players from other teams. However they often loose money in Europe due to travel costs.

Like Celtic in the mens game though the English league sides are now taking more Scottish talent down South and several Scottish womens players now play in Europe also.

If it was shown that a women's football team did any of those things and benefited the first team, then im all for it. But i dont believe it does, or that it can. The most successful commercial club in UK dont see any value in a women's team, im not sure why we would.

Im not against extending use of club facilities, or giving them training gear or letting them use Easter Road on occasion, or having them as part of the Club. But they shouldnt be getting money or resources that would otherwise go towards benefiting the first team. I dont think thats an unreasonable point.

If women's football was half as popular, with half as much profile-raising potential as its advocates on here are claiming, then it shouldnt be too difficult for it to pay its own way.

GreenCastle
09-11-2015, 04:12 PM
If it was shown that a women's football team did any of those things and benefited the first team, then im all for it. But i dont believe it does, or that it can. The most successful commercial club in UK dont see any value in a women's team, im not sure why we would.

Im not against extending use of club facilities, or giving them training gear or letting them use Easter Road on occasion, or having them as part of the Club. But they shouldnt be getting money or resources that would otherwise go towards benefiting the first team. I dont think thats an unreasonable point.

If women's football was half as popular, with half as much profile-raising potential as its advocates on here are claiming, then it shouldnt be too difficult for it to pay its own way.

I think you aren't understanding what I am trying to say. Hibernian FC is more than just the 1st men's team. Some fans will support just the men's team - others will do more and watch male and female games plus youth / development games.

There is no evidence it does or doesn't increase quality of 1st team but it does raise profile of a club if they are out and about more in the community and in Europe / rest of the world.

Do Man Utd have kids schools in USA to benefit the 1st - not directly but at the same time having the brand out there brings further global recognition and that has a knock on effect to merchandise / visits to Old Trafford etc.

You could say Man Utd are missing a trick not having a team when...

Man City
Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool etc all have teams and are throwing more and more money into the womens game.

Women's Football will never be the men's game - however it's got it's place and like it or not it's growing and is positive for younger girls to be active in society. Fans need to realise that our club is about equal opportunities and therefore male or female players should be given the best chance to succeed.

SunshineOnLeith
09-11-2015, 04:13 PM

Why?

Glasgow City have evolved independently and are by far and away the most successful and 'professional' women's club in Scotland - doesn't that suggest that their model might work better in Scotland than spin off brands from men's teams?

Deansy
09-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Watched some of Sunday's game - do Glasgow City women's team always play in an ORANGE strip ?. Or was it a one-off ploy to attract a certain % of supporters from one of that city's football-clubs ?

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2015, 04:46 PM
We have been sustained by STF for years!
The move to a community club is too make us sustainable via the community ownership model. Luckily STF is gifting us 51% to enable that ownership.

Traditional football is struggling outside the very top clubs. If we do not broaden our "church" we will eventually cease to exist.

Absolute nonsense.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-11-2015, 06:14 PM
I think you aren't understanding what I am trying to say. Hibernian FC is more than just the 1st men's team. Some fans will support just the men's team - others will do more and watch male and female games plus youth / development games.

There is no evidence it does or doesn't increase quality of 1st team but it does raise profile of a club if they are out and about more in the community and in Europe / rest of the world.

Do Man Utd have kids schools in USA to benefit the 1st - not directly but at the same time having the brand out there brings further global recognition and that has a knock on effect to merchandise / visits to Old Trafford etc.

You could say Man Utd are missing a trick not having a team when...

Man City
Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool etc all have teams and are throwing more and more money into the womens game.

Women's Football will never be the men's game - however it's got it's place and like it or not it's growing and is positive for younger girls to be active in society. Fans need to realise that our club is about equal opportunities and therefore male or female players should be given the best chance to succeed.

Im sure Man Utd have kid's schools in the USA, and im sure the parents of said kids pay handsomely to send their kids to them - and of course they will sell shirts etc on the back of the profit they make from the fees.

Hibs are not, and never will be a global brand. Therefore i doubt that there would be any benefit in us doing that.

Of course we have kids teams, but not as an end in themselves. They are to attract, retain and train the best players that can play in our first team, and who invariably we can sell on for huge profit. That youth system has contributed millions to the club in the last decade or so. That's why we have youth teams.

Hibs has more to it than the first team certainly, but everything else exists (or should) to benefit the first team.

To say our club is about equal opportunities is absolute nonsense. We are an elite football club, who will try to cherry-pick the very best young players from any other club, and who will ruthlessly discard any that subsequently don't make the grade (i.e. most of them). We are not a weekend activity club for boys who like playing football. We are elite, and professional, or at least we should be!

I agree women's fitba has a place, and as ive said im happy for that to be as part of Hibs, to use training facilities etc. i just dont want us wasting any resources on it. And i agree, girls/women should be encouraged to take more interest in sport. But until many more of them do, and are willing to pay to watch it, women's sport will remain largely irrelevant.

Brightside
09-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Im sure Man Utd have kid's schools in the USA, and im sure the parents of said kids pay handsomely to send their kids to them - and of course they will sell shirts etc on the back of the profit they make from the fees.

Hibs are not, and never will be a global brand. Therefore i doubt that there would be any benefit in us doing that.

Of course we have kids teams, but not as an end in themselves. They are to attract, retain and train the best players that can play in our first team, and who invariably we can sell on for huge profit. That youth system has contributed millions to the club in the last decade or so. That's why we have youth teams.

Hibs has more to it than the first team certainly, but everything else exists (or should) to benefit the first team.

To say our club is about equal opportunities is absolute nonsense. We are an elite football club, who will try to cherry-pick the very best young players from any other club, and who will ruthlessly discard any that subsequently don't make the grade (i.e. most of them). We are not a weekend activity club for boys who like playing football. We are elite, and professional, or at least we should be!

I agree women's fitba has a place, and as ive said im happy for that to be as part of Hibs, to use training facilities etc. i just dont want us wasting any resources on it. And i agree, girls/women should be encouraged to take more interest in sport. But until many more of them do, and are willing to pay to watch it, women's sport will remain largely irrelevant.

If that was the case we would halt the community side of the club right now. When we took over Edina Hibs to create the Hibs Community Club it was all about getting young kids wearing the Hibs colours and increasing the brand in the local community. There is nothing Elite about that. There is much more to Hibs than the First team. Its one of the main benefits of our current Chief Exec. She see's the bigger picture.

As for the Millions of pounds we've made from the "Elite" youth...how many players have actually came through that system? and i mean kids that came into the club at younger than 14 and went all the way through... You'll struggle to find many. There is an increasing view that Pro-Youth is a waste of time unless the club is at the very highest level and can afford the best coaches, and can actually take these players all the way through. If we want to save money do away with all "Pro Youth" until 14+. We would save a fortune!

Hannah_hfc
09-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Watched some of Sunday's game - do Glasgow City women's team always play in an ORANGE strip ?. Or was it a one-off ploy to attract a certain % of supporters from one of that city's football-clubs ?
Orange is Glasgow City's colours.

Both the OF have ladies teams.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-11-2015, 07:01 PM
If that was the case we would halt the community side of the club right now. When we took over Edina Hibs to create the Hibs Community Club it was all about getting young kids wearing the Hibs colours and increasing the brand in the local community. There is nothing Elite about that. There is much more to Hibs than the First team. Its one of the main benefits of our current Chief Exec. She see's the bigger picture.

As for the Millions of pounds we've made from the "Elite" youth...how many players have actually came through that system? and i mean kids that came into the club at younger than 14 and went all the way through... You'll struggle to find many. There is an increasing view that Pro-Youth is a waste of time unless the club is at the very highest level and can afford the best coaches, and can actually take these players all the way through. If we want to save money do away with all "Pro Youth" until 14+. We would save a fortune!

I don't know about the Edina Community Club, but i presume that we don't fund them and that they aren't officially affiliated.

As for the youth system, its certainly a point that should be looked at. I don't know at what age certain players joined, but our youth system has easily grossed over ten million in fees alone, and that of course doesn't count the opportunity cost that having almost half a team at one point being from our own youth system saved us. But if our youth system isn't providing benefit, it should either be reformed (i believe it has) or scrapped.

So let me get this right, are you suggesting that we are (or should be) some sort of benevolent fund for youth/women's football?

You still have never told me what a Community Club is? Do you agree with it just because it supports your own pet projects?

As i said above, IF something does not benefit the first team then we shouldn't be doing it. IF something does, or helps grow the support to generate more income, then we should look at doing it. Its not a difficult or unreasonable point i don't think. I just dont believe that women's football can, or will do that. I am happy to be proven wrong though.

Brightside
09-11-2015, 07:52 PM
I don't know about the Edina Community Club, but i presume that we don't fund them and that they aren't officially affiliated.

As for the youth system, its certainly a point that should be looked at. I don't know at what age certain players joined, but our youth system has easily grossed over ten million in fees alone, and that of course doesn't count the opportunity cost that having almost half a team at one point being from our own youth system saved us. But if our youth system isn't providing benefit, it should either be reformed (i believe it has) or scrapped.

So let me get this right, are you suggesting that we are (or should be) some sort of benevolent fund for youth/women's football?

You still have never told me what a Community Club is? Do you agree with it just because it supports your own pet projects?

As i said above, IF something does not benefit the first team then we shouldn't be doing it. IF something does, or helps grow the support to generate more income, then we should look at doing it. Its not a difficult or unreasonable point i don't think. I just dont believe that women's football can, or will do that. I am happy to be proven wrong though.

Yes the "Edina" Community Club is affiliated and funded by Hibernian. The whole purpose of becoming a Community Club is to build our profile as a club within Edinburgh and surrounding areas. Our Chief Exec said when she took over that she couldn't believe how little she saw of Hibs colours in the community. A real lack of young kids wearing Hibs tops in the street and therefore a huge opportunity missed to get these kids interested in Hibernian. Thats what the big picture is...increase the Hibs offering...get more kids and families involved in the teams and therefore build the support base. To me its a sound plan and it involves investment in all sides of the game. Women and young girls are a huge market. It would seem sensible to encourage them...they are all potential "owners" of HSL and therefore part of the future funding model.

Saturday Boy
09-11-2015, 07:58 PM

With both of the old firm having ladies teams, Glasgow City are seen by many as being an old firm free zone. I was told that the colours reflect the old Glasgow Corporation buses and underground, but that might've been made up for a gullible visitor from the east. They do have a regular following home and away, with scarves and hats in club colours, not something you see at many ladies matches.

bob12345
09-11-2015, 10:29 PM
As people have already pointed out, to not capitalise on the rapidly growing sport that is women's football would be ludicrous. People may look at the Hibs Ladies first team and, without any.context, criticise the standard. But the fact we.have the.second most successful women's team in the country is the catalyst for a much bigger picture. It makes girls from all over the east of.Scotland want to play for and be part of Hibernian FC.

Of course it has no bearing on the men's first team. However for support base, community involvement, marketing and brand enhancement, having a successful Hibernian women's football club is beneficial to the club as a whole.

For the price of a few month's wages to a fringe player you can fund an entire operation which has hundreds of females wearing Hibs colours every weekend. If you throw in their immediate families that is thousands of potential fans we are more likely to get in the door. More fans = more funds.

From a sporting perspective I would support a Hibs team at any level. It's been great to see our club as Edinburgh's top team in the women's game for as long as I can remember.

With Manchester City, Arsenal. Liverpool and Chelsea putting a big effort into the women's game recently, I don't see any good reason at all not to be part of it.

Saturday Boy
09-11-2015, 10:54 PM
As people have already pointed out, to not capitalise on the rapidly growing sport that is women's football would be ludicrous. People may look at the Hibs Ladies first team and, without any.context, criticise the standard. But the fact we.have the.second most successful women's team in the country is the catalyst for a much bigger picture. It makes girls from all over the east of.Scotland want to play for and be part of Hibernian FC.

Of course it has no bearing on the men's first team. However for support base, community involvement, marketing and brand enhancement, having a successful Hibernian women's football club is beneficial to the club as a whole.

For the price of a few month's wages to a fringe player you can fund an entire operation which has hundreds of females wearing Hibs colours every weekend. If you throw in their immediate families that is thousands of potential fans we are more likely to get in the door. More fans = more funds.

From a sporting perspective I would support a Hibs team at any level. It's been great to see our club as Edinburgh's top team in the women's game for as long as I can remember.

With Manchester City, Arsenal. Liverpool and Chelsea putting a big effort into the women's game recently, I don't see any good reason at all not to be part of it.

Good points.

At the end of September, HTC was the host of a conference on coaching in women's football. Anna Signeul, manager of the Scottish Women's national team made the point that without women's or girl's teams, we were excluding 50% of the population. The interview is on Hibs TV freeview, perhaps a page or so back. Whatever you may think, it's FIFA, UEFA and SFA approved, indeed encouraged, and anything that grows future Hibees has to be good.

500miles
10-11-2015, 08:02 AM
I'd shut down the women's league and open up the big leagues. That way no one can moan about women being paid for playing at a level akin to men's amateur, and those who are good enough will be recognised at the top level.

Brightside
10-11-2015, 08:58 AM
I'd shut down the women's league and open up the big leagues. That way no one can moan about women being paid for playing at a level akin to men's amateur, and those who are good enough will be recognised at the top level.

:greengrin:greengrin Are you suggesting they should be in the mens league? Please tell me that's just piss poor fishing.

Malthibby
10-11-2015, 09:44 AM
:greengrin:greengrin Are you suggesting they should be in the mens league? Please tell me that's just piss poor fishing.

With a very big rod. Unless he's being ironic...........

Speedy
11-11-2015, 12:10 PM

Good post.

JimBHibees
11-11-2015, 12:17 PM

Completely agree with that.

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2015, 02:50 PM

I can, we are slipping further and further behind these clubs by the minute, why would our women's team be any different?