PDA

View Full Version : Succession plan

Hibbyradge
08-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Over the past year or so, I've read a couple of comments about the board having put in place a suitable succession plan for the manager's position, but I haven't read any of the details.

With Hibs now playing some fabulous, winning football, it won't be long until a club with a load more cash and potential then Hibs will come along trying to lure Alan Stubbs away and let's face it, as disappointing as it may be, there's very little we can do to stop him fulfilling his ambitions. Nor should we.

It's just a matter of time, unfortunately for us.

So, my questions are these;

1. When is Alan's contract up for renewal?

2. What plans or system do we have in place to recruit the next manager?

Canon Hannan
08-11-2015, 11:43 AM
John Collins

thebakerboy
08-11-2015, 11:44 AM
I have said on here before that we should be looking at all the young managers and coaches who would be able to replace our current manager always and have someone in mind at all times. I would suggest that we should have a panel of people looking at this independent from but with connections to the club.

hibsbollah
08-11-2015, 11:48 AM
1. He signed a 2 year contract in June 2014. So its up in the summer.

2. If we do have a succession plan in place, im sure Dempster wouldnt go into detail about it publically because it would increase speculation.

This is Alan Stubbs first manager job. Im not convinced that the really big clubs that might turn his head will be willing to take a chance on him (Celtc will both be looking for someone with European experience, for example, Everton will want someone proven at the top level, Martinez was really highly thought of at Wigan and was a much bigger fish than Stubbs is now). Hopefully he might sign an extension before the summer, especially if hes settled here.

Ronniekirk
08-11-2015, 11:52 AM

2. If we do have a succession plan in place, im sure Dempster wouldnt go into detail about it publically because it would increase speculation.

This is Alan Stubbs first manager job. Im not convinced that the really big clubs that might turn his head will be willing to take a chance on him (Celtc will both be looking for someone with European experience, for example, Everton will want someone proven at the top level, Martinez was really highly thought of at Wigan and was a much bigger fish than Stubbs is now). Hopefully he might sign an extension before the summer, especially if hes settled here.

I could be wrong but I thought that he signed an extension round about the time all the ScottAllan stuff was going on .

green day
08-11-2015, 11:53 AM

Thought he signed an extension this summer?

PatHead
08-11-2015, 11:53 AM

They signed extensions last summer now 2016/17

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11792/9928591/hibs-boss-alan-stubbs-signs-new-contract

Willis1875
08-11-2015, 11:54 AM
Signed a extension in July until 2017

NAE NOOKIE
08-11-2015, 11:54 AM
John Collins

Would rather have Gary Locke .... and I'm not even joking :bitchy:

hibsbollah
08-11-2015, 11:57 AM
They signed extensions last summer now 2016/17

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11792/9928591/hibs-boss-alan-stubbs-signs-new-contract

:aok: i stand corrected.

Peevemor
08-11-2015, 12:39 PM
John Collins

Would rather have Gary Locke .... and I'm not even joking :bitchy:

Collins isn't capable of nurturing the team spirit that currently exists at ER - quite the opposite.

NAE NOOKIE
08-11-2015, 12:44 PM
The trouble with succession plans is that nothing is guaranteed ... the plan may be to replace Stubbs with another young hungry manager when the time comes ... but as we have seen, that doesn't always work out. If you are telling a manager the club has a system in place he must stick to, he may feel constricted and that would certainly make experienced managers think twice.

Is the idea to promote from within? ..... how often does that work out?

Its not a criticism, I would imagine Hibs have a better idea about these things than me, I'm just thinking out loud.

One thing I do know .... If Celtic were to come calling Stubbsy would find it very very difficult to say no for a host of reasons, not least of all being that he feels a debt of gratitude to them. He would also see it as a stepping stone to EPL management ... perhaps even his beloved Everton. Even though he is relatively green ( no pun intended ) the Celtic fans like him, not least because he knows how to stick it to the Huns. The Celtic board, who are about as free with money as Rod Petrie would see him as one of the few cheap option most of their fans might be willing to accept, at least long enough to give him a chance.

The other danger is any club in Lancashire for obvious reasons.

As for him having signed a contract ..... in football all that guarantees is compensation.

CentreLine
08-11-2015, 12:47 PM
IIRC when the current setup was put in place we moved away from having a manager with the preference being for a head coach, which is what AS is. This was said at the time to allow for a succession plan to be in place for every part of the footballing structure, including the head coach role. I hope it is a long time before either LD or AS move on but when the do I believe they will leave us with a legacy that guarantees a strong, workable structure too to bottom.

Wilson
08-11-2015, 12:52 PM
The trouble with succession plans is that nothing is guaranteed ... the plan may be to replace Stubbs with another young hungry manager when the time comes ... but as we have seen, that doesn't always work out. If you are telling a manager the club has a system in place he must stick to, he may feel constricted and that would certainly make experienced managers think twice.

Its not a criticism, I would imagine Hibs have a better idea about these things than me, I'm just thinking out loud.

One thing I do know .... If Celtic were to come calling Stubbsy would find it very very difficult to say no for a host of reasons, not least of all being that he feels a debt of gratitude to them. He would also see it as a stepping stone to EPL management ... perhaps even his beloved Everton. Even though he is relatively green ( no pun intended ) the Celtic fans like him, not least because he knows how to stick it to the Huns. The Celtic board, who are about as free with money as Rod Petrie would see him as one of the few cheap option most of their fans might be willing to accept, at least long enough to give him a chance.

As for him having signed a contract ..... in football all that guarantees is compensation.

Agree with much of this. I think succesion is more about how the club is run, having a vision, and having people behind the scenes who understand it that will still have input regardless of who is in charge of coaching matters. It wont be a case of a new manager coming in and turning everything on its head. Capable coaches will be interviwed and their ability to coach within our set-up will factor heavily in their appointment.

Hibbyradge
08-11-2015, 01:00 PM
I remember hearing an interview about Swansea City in which it was stated that the club had decided to adopt a certain footballing philosophy and style, and that this was set in stone.

Future managers would be chosen on the basis of their ability to continue with that philosophy. If their style and footballing ambitions didn't match Swansea's, they wouldn't be employed.

A kick it in the corners and we'll play from there type like Butcher, for example, would never have been employed.

I'd like Hibs to do something similar.

Pretty Boy
08-11-2015, 01:02 PM

I'm sure we looked at the likes of Swansea and Southampton for our set up as they had both successfully seen a turnover in players and manager yet continued to maintain their level.

PatHead
08-11-2015, 01:26 PM
I remember hearing an interview about Swansea City in which it was stated that the club had decided to adopt a certain footballing philosophy and style, and that this was set in stone.

Future managers would be chosen on the basis of their ability to continue with that philosophy. If their style and footballing ambitions didn't match Swansea's, they wouldn't be employed.

A kick it in the corners and we'll play from there type like Butcher, for example, would never have been employed.

I'd like Hibs to do something similar.

Think that is what we have with George Craig in charge of the footballing side.

matty_f
08-11-2015, 02:24 PM
Think that is what we have with George Craig in charge of the footballing side.

:agree: managers will need to fit Hibs now, rather than the other way around.

Hibbyradge
08-11-2015, 02:38 PM
:agree: managers will need to fit Hibs now, rather than the other way around.

That's exactly it.

Brightside
08-11-2015, 06:16 PM
Unless he takes JD with him - he would be the ideal next manager of Hibs in 2 years time.

J-C
08-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Unless he takes JD with him - he would be the ideal next manager of Hibs in 2 years time.

You just took the words out of my mouth, I've noticed Doolan does a lot of the stuff from the managers area, I remember when Mowbray was here, Mark Venus was lauded as the main guy with the players and a good few were disappointed he never took over when Mowbray left.

Stevie Reid
08-11-2015, 06:25 PM
I posted a link to Gary Neville's endorsement of Southampton's philosophy and succession planning recently. There was a great quote from their DoF saying "We will never be interviewed by a manager - we will interview them."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11366206/Gary-Neville-The-era-of-the-gaffer-is-over.html

Viva_Palmeiras
09-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Mark Proctor.

J-C
09-11-2015, 08:38 PM
Mark Proctor.

I knew it was either him or Venus as they both worked with Mowbray but you get my drift though.

davidw
10-11-2015, 08:10 AM
Over the past year or so, I've read a couple of comments about the board having put in place a suitable succession plan for the manager's position, but I haven't read any of the details.

With Hibs now playing some fabulous, winning football, it won't be long until a club with a load more cash and potential then Hibs will come along trying to lure Alan Stubbs away and let's face it, as disappointing as it may be, there's very little we can do to stop him fulfilling his ambitions. Nor should we.

It's just a matter of time, unfortunately for us.

So, my questions are these;

1. When is Alan's contract up for renewal?

2. What plans or system do we have in place to recruit the next manager?

FFS, can we not be left just for a few moments to enjoy the happy present, without being forced to worry about another miserable future...?

It's like being stalked by The Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come...

CapitalGreen
10-11-2015, 08:17 AM
Mark Proctor.

One of the defining performances of that Mowbray/Collins era was the 4-0 win away at Dunfermline while Proctor was in charge.

Jim44
10-11-2015, 08:41 AM
FFS, can we not be left just for a few moments to enjoy the happy present, without being forced to worry about another miserable future...?

I was kind of thinking the same myself. In the same vein, James Keatings, presumably our representative at the draw yesterday, was talking up Cumming's importance to the future success of the team. He says he thinks Cummings will still be with at the end of the season but says that if offers come in for him, we will just have to sit down and look at the bigger picture and make a decision. I know that in interviews, players and managers are asked leading questions, but, what mandate does Keatings have to publicly discuss Club business? Anyway, davidw, you're quite right to bemoan the unnecessary and inappropriately negative nature of bestguessing the future at a time when even old misery-guts like myself shoud be enjoying our wee purple patch.

Hibbyradge
10-11-2015, 08:43 AM

Seriously?

You don't think Hibs should plan ahead for the predictable and inevitable?

The whole point of a succession plan is to avoid another miserable future.

I guess you're one of those carefree, live for the moment folk who don't have pension plans or insurance policies.

Good luck with that. :wink:

Jim44
10-11-2015, 08:52 AM
Seriously?

I guess you're one of those carefree, live for the moment folk who don't have pension plans or insurance policies.

Despite my comments, you're entitled to ask the questions, but maybe LD would be best placed to answer them. :dunno:

Hibbyradge
10-11-2015, 08:53 AM
Anyway, davidw, you're quite right to bemoan the unnecessary and inappropriately negative nature of bestguessing the future at a time when even old misery-guts like myself shoud be enjoying our wee purple patch.

Why is it negative to plan for the future?

I think most people have the intellectual dexterity to enjoy our current improvement whilst planning ahead to ensure it continues when, not if, our personnel changes.

I'm praying the Leeann Dempster does.

Hibbyradge
10-11-2015, 08:55 AM
Despite my comments, you're entitled to ask the questions, but maybe LD would be best placed to answer them. :dunno:

If we excluded the questions that Leeann would be better suited to answer, the topics discussed on this messageboard be restricted to discussions about whether Luis Stevenson should be in the first team! :wink:

Peevemor
10-11-2015, 08:57 AM
I was kind of thinking the same myself. In the same vein, James Keatings, presumably our representative at the draw yesterday, was talking up Cumming's importance to the future success of the team. He says he thinks Cummings will still be with at the end of the season but says that if offers come in for him, we will just have to sit down and look at the bigger picture and make a decision. I know that in interviews, players and managers are asked leading questions, but, what mandate does Keatings have to publicly discuss Club business? Anyway, davidw, you're quite right to bemoan the unnecessary and inappropriately negative nature of bestguessing the future at a time when even old misery-guts like myself shoud be enjoying our wee purple patch.

He gave a stock answer to a question that he shouldn't have been asked.

Jim44
10-11-2015, 08:59 AM
If we excluded the questions that Leeann would be better suited to answer, the topics discussed on this messageboard be restricted to discussions about whether Luis Stevenson should be in the first team! :wink:

Nah, he should be dropped to let him concentrate on writing adventure novels. :greengrin

J-C
10-11-2015, 09:08 AM

Unfortunately with success comes the admirers from other clubs, it happened with Mowbray, Scott Brown, Riordan, Thomson etc all the OP was asking was now we have a little success with Stubbs and things are looking rosy again, if Stubbs was to leave to go to pastures new, is there a plan to make sure this success can carry on with someone different at the helm, don't think there's anything wrong in asking that.

Jim44
10-11-2015, 09:13 AM
Unfortunately with success comes the admirers from other clubs, it happened with Mowbray, Scott Brown, Riordan, Thomson etc all the OP was asking was now we have a little success with Stubbs and things are looking rosy again, if Stubbs was to leave to go to pastures new, is there a plan to make sure this success can carry on with someone different at the helm, don't think there's anything wrong in asking that.

I've already addressed that above. It seems to me to be a question that requires a yes or no answer, which presumably the club can give.

Hibbyradge
10-11-2015, 09:26 AM
Nah, he should be dropped to let him concentrate on writing adventure novels. :greengrin

Drat! :greengrin

GreenPJ
10-11-2015, 09:41 AM

I think the players and the manager need to be reminded that there is no success (yet). We are in the second tier of Scottish football and whilst we have had a good run, as we all know we should be beating these teams. The style of football is good and getting better but they need to be focused on what success really is (promotion and potentially a cup final).

Peevemor
10-11-2015, 09:52 AM
I think the players and the manager need to be reminded that there is no success (yet). We are in the second tier of Scottish football and whilst we have had a good run, as we all know we should be beating these teams. The style of football is good and getting better but they need to be focused on what success really is (promotion and potentially a cup final).

I don't think they do.

J-C
10-11-2015, 09:52 AM

That's goes without saying, it was the little success we've had re style of play, squad togetherness, getting closer to the fans, stronger mentality etc all this needs to continue if Stubbs attracts suitors from bigger clubs.

Wilson
10-11-2015, 10:45 AM
I've already addressed that above. It seems to me to be a question that requires a yes or no answer, which presumably the club can give.

Well if you want a club answer you can ask the club. Or go back over all the sound bytes and recover the information already out there.

If you want a discussion with fellow fans about their understanding of a succession plan and their interpretation of the information already out there you start a thread on a fans discussion forum.

I wonder what the OP was going for...

Canon Hannan
10-11-2015, 03:16 PM
Collins isn't capable of nurturing the team spirit that currently exists at ER - quite the opposite.

Pat Stanton as assistant for guidance................

overdrive
10-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Pat Stanton as assistant for guidance................

What like Tommy Craig? :wink:

Scouse Hibee
10-11-2015, 04:16 PM

I disagree, there has been success in identifying the right players, signing them and then putting together a team that plays decent football. If that is not progress and measurable success I don't know what is. We might not have reached our goal of promotion yet but we are certainly having a succesful season so far.

CRAZYHIBBY
10-11-2015, 04:37 PM
We don't need a plan. ....we will ride the stubbsy train till the end of the track then hop on a new one with someone else.

davidw
10-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Seriously?

I've been watching them for over 40 years. It's been bloody miserable for large chunks of that time - especially recently as we all know. Right now it's fun - I went on Saturday and had a bloody great time. Leave me to my precious piece of temporary happiness, man! I know further change and misery will be just round the corner, but just for this once, let me be haaaaaapppy.....

You're like a "logical" and educated father who thinks it's wrong to have their young children believe in Santa. Let me believe for just a little bit longer, Dad......

Hibbyradge
10-11-2015, 05:53 PM
I've been watching them for over 40 years. It's been bloody miserable for large chunks of that time - especially recently as we all know. Right now it's fun - I went on Saturday and had a bloody great time. Leave me to my precious piece of temporary happiness, man! I know further change and misery will be just round the corner, but just for this once, let me be haaaaaapppy.....

You're like a "logical" and educated father who thinks it's wrong to have their young children believe in Santa. Let me believe for just a little bit longer, Dad......

Cheeky bassa. :grr:

I've been going longer than you and I'm just as desperate for fun and success as you are.

However, I'd rather not repeat the same patterns of the past. Instead of having a year or two of hope followed by a decade or more of depression, I want us to keep the good times going, whatever the future may hold for our personnel.

Now get upstairs and tidy your room, son, or you'll get flick all from Santa...

ancient hibee
10-11-2015, 06:58 PM
That's goes without saying, it was the little success we've had re style of play, squad togetherness, getting closer to the fans, stronger mentality etc all this needs to continue if Stubbs attracts suitors from bigger clubs.

If I ran a big English club(God forbid)there's no way I'd ever recruit a manager from the second tier in Scotland.

PatHead
10-11-2015, 07:10 PM

I've been going longer than you and I'm just as desperate for fun and success as you are.

However, I'd rather not repeat the same patterns of the past. Instead of having a year or two of hope followed by a decade or more of depression, I want us to keep the good times going, whatever the future may hold for our personnel.

Leeann has made it clear there is a system in place. In view of what she has delivered so far I don't doubt her.

I agree lets enjoy the moment and revel in it.

and I have been watching and suffering Hibs longer than you :greengrin

Jonnyboy
10-11-2015, 07:11 PM
Leeann has made it clear there is a system in place. In view of what she has delivered so far I don't doubt her.

I agree lets enjoy the moment and revel in it.

and I have been watching and suffering Hibs longer than you :greengrin

But not as long as me :greengrin I'm with you on the LD part. She has clearly stated there's a mechanism in place :agree:

PatHead
10-11-2015, 07:26 PM
But not as long as me :greengrin I'm with you on the LD part. She has clearly stated there's a mechanism in place :agree:

Doubt anyone else has seen us win the cup Jonny :greengrin

Jonnyboy
10-11-2015, 07:28 PM
Doubt anyone else has seen us win the cup Jonny :greengrin

:greengrin

davidw
10-11-2015, 07:42 PM

NO-ONE IN THIS HOUSE UNDERSTANDS ME! [slams door, storms off to bedroom]

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2015, 07:45 PM
I know its facebook, :greengrin but someone on that hibspaige is claiming information from east mains linking Stubbs to the QPR job.

poolman
10-11-2015, 08:07 PM

Absolutely