PDA

View Full Version : Ian Murray

murray26
07-11-2015, 11:42 PM
I was in the West stand today and noticed a couple of songs about him today.. One quite light hearted and another a wee bit more a bit less forgiving lets say.. I was at his testimonial and forgave him for his decision to sign for them.. I was wondering what the fans on him felt about him..?..

c31
07-11-2015, 11:43 PM
I think he will be looking for a new job soon...

oneone73
07-11-2015, 11:46 PM
I was in the West stand today and noticed a couple of songs about him today.. One quite light hearted and another a wee bit more a bit less forgiving lets say.. I was at his testimonial and forgave him for his decision to sign for them.. I was wondering what the fans on him felt about him..?..

Never understood the love-in. Ran down down his contract so he could be with his beloved Judas. And some thuggish tendencies towards the end if his playing career.

itslegaltender
07-11-2015, 11:50 PM
Murray is a diehard Hibee, has been all his life. You only get one career and like everybody else you want to make money, dont blame him at all.

Any player who shaves 0-7 into his head for the derby is alright in my book.

MWHIBBIES
Never understood the love-in. Ran down down his contract so he could be with his beloved Judas. And some thuggish tendencies towards the end if his playing career.Riordan did the same thing and everyone loves him.

Pretty Boy
Pretty indifferent to him.

Didn't like the way he left us, the finger thing was unfortunate but he had taken some abuse prior to it, he was ok initially when he came back but was finished by the end of his time and knew it, thought he was a bit ungracious with comments about us last season.

I don't dislike him but I've heard him described as a 'legend' which is nonsense.

B.H.F.C
07-11-2015, 11:51 PM
My only thought on him is that I never want to see him manage Hibs.

Humo
07-11-2015, 11:54 PM
No disrespect to the guy but he never deserved a testimonial IMO. Been following his management career since it began as I thought he may be a future hibs manager but he plays too defensively and it looks like even St Mirren was too big an ask for him. He may still come good for them but I'd like him to be kept well away from the hibs dug out for the next few years at least

murray26
07-11-2015, 11:56 PM
Cheers for the replays.. Always liked him and believe he'll always be a Hibby.. Can totally understand fans being peed off with him signing for them but others have done similar and got off a lot lighter.. But agree not a legend by a long shot.. I'd put wee Lewis before him in that regard and expect him to get a better turn out at his testimonial..

Bostonhibby
07-11-2015, 11:59 PM
Cheers for the replays.. Always liked him and believe he'll always be a Hibby.. Can totally understand fans being peed off with him signing got the but others have done similar and got off a lot lighter.. But agree not a legend by a long shot.. I'd put wee Lewis before him in that regard and expect him to get a better turn out at his testimonial..
Agree. He's a hibby who could have left with a bit more class but he did knuckle down when he came back

silverhibee
08-11-2015, 12:01 AM
I think he will be looking for a new job soon...

Murray out, Miller in. :greengrin

pedroorange1875
08-11-2015, 12:01 AM
Judas

Andy74
08-11-2015, 12:08 AM
I've never taken to him. There's something about him that I think makes him not very likeable.

It doesn't help that him appearing was the beginning of the end of the great McLeish team but it's more than that. Can't put my finger on it but he's not for me.

Baader
08-11-2015, 12:17 AM
Over 250 appearances for us. Former captain and Hibs through and through. Couple of seasons for the Huns but so what, some others who done less for Hibs and made a move west seem to be held in higher esteem... Hope he does well as he's alright in my book.

As for his Jambo MP namesake...

silverhibee
08-11-2015, 12:22 AM
I've never taken to him. There's something about him that I think makes him not very likeable.

It doesn't help that him appearing was the beginning of the end of the great McLeish team but it's more than that. Can't put my finger on it but he's not for me.

Wouldn't trust him as far as i could throw him.

Baader
08-11-2015, 12:24 AM
Wouldn't trust him as far as i could throw him.

Why exactly? He's Hibs to the core.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-11-2015, 12:28 AM
Wouldn't wish him any harm but when he was manager at Dumbarton and had them playing decent stuff, he was being earmarked as a future Hibs Manager. I thought that style would continue at St Mirren with better players at his disposal , but they were grim when we played them at ER. Brutal, agrressive and anti-football at times. They might be down for a while actually. Don't think he will last the season.

B.H.F.C
08-11-2015, 12:33 AM

Except when he gave the Hibs crowd the middle finger At the Ivan Soroule game?

SunshineOnLeith
08-11-2015, 12:39 AM

Never signed a contract/extension with Hibs other than when he had no other offers or interest in him.

Mikey09
08-11-2015, 12:40 AM
Judas

Well thought out reply... :rolleyes:

Baader
08-11-2015, 12:42 AM

Not great but it doesn't disqualify him from being a Hibs fan. He signed for us again after that and made over 100 appearances.

Dashing Bob S
08-11-2015, 01:15 AM
Never understood the mentality of football fans who feel it's fair game to dish out virulent, ritual mob abuse at a player, then when he gives a minor reaction in response, immediately turn into simpering, outraged Jessie-Boys crying 'shame on him'.

Murray is Hibs through and through, gave the club great service and, yes, jumped ship when he got his chance for a big pay day. I've absolutely no doubt that he (like Riordan, Griffiths etc) would have loved to have stayed at Hibs, but they didn't invent the twisted economics of our domestic game.

It's a tough life and players have to look after their own interests first and foremost. Clubs certainly do. Legends such as Gordon Smith, Pat Stanton, Joe Baker and Franck Sauzee were all punted from Hibs against their personal wishes, when the club felt it suited its interests.

Players come and go, but once a Hibby, always a Hibby, and Murray is certainly one of those.

Baader
08-11-2015, 01:28 AM
Spot on and very eloquently put Bob. Being a player is very different to being a fan and I despair sometimes at the scorn afforded some folks who have served our club and given their all whilst doing so.

Latapy, Riordan, Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, McGinlay, Jackson, Laursen, Miller, Killen, Libbra, Agathe, Griffiths all made moves west in the last 20 years. Don't see why Ian Murray should get treated any worse. More committed to Hibs than some of the aforementioned...

Onceinawhile
08-11-2015, 01:36 AM
Ian Murray scored the best goal I've ever seen a midfielder score for us, picked it up on the half way line, drifted past two or three Dundee United players and curled it into the top bag.

Is he a Hibs legend? No.
Is he a Hibs fan who played for the cabbage for a great number of years with distinction? Yes.

cad
08-11-2015, 02:43 AM
Never understood the mentality of football fans who feel it's fair game to dish out virulent, ritual mob abuse at a player, then when he gives a minor reaction in response, immediately turn into simpering, outraged Jessie-Boys crying 'shame on him'.

Murray is Hibs through and through, gave the club great service and, yes, jumped ship when he got his chance for a big pay day. I've absolutely no doubt that he (like Riordan, Griffiths etc) would have loved to have stayed at Hibs, but they didn't invent the twisted economics of our domestic game.

It's a tough life and players have to look after their own interests first and foremost. Clubs certainly do. Legends such as Gordon Smith, Pat Stanton, Joe Baker and Franck Sauzee were all punted from Hibs against their personal wishes, when the club felt it suited its interests.

Players come and go, but once a Hibby, always a Hibby, and Murray is certainly one of those.

Well said Bob
When he signed for Hibs his dream had come true,his remaining time at Dundee United under the tyrant Jim McLean wasn't so pretty when he told them he was Easter Road bound

Liberal Hibby
08-11-2015, 03:07 AM
Dashing Bob as usual nails it. But I wonder whether Murray is in fact a proto-Paatelainen - someone who will go on to prove his credentials at bigger and bigger clubs if they only give hime time. Let's remember we sacked Mixu for falling from 5th to 6th in the SPL after less tha 100 games in charge.

Thegreenside
08-11-2015, 03:31 AM
He's a judas, never understood why he got a testimonial. And even tho he has been touted hope he never he gets the hibs job

hibbiedon
08-11-2015, 04:44 AM
He played for the team I love, he is a hibs fan but he has to make a living and provide for his family. If I can cheer on jambos in hibs strips I can respect hobbies who have wore it
:flag:

hibbysam
08-11-2015, 05:57 AM
Back to the original point though, I can only remember two songs being sung and it was the 'one Ian Murray' and 'Murray is a hibee' and it was purely to wind up the St Mirren fans who were booing his substitution to take off their best player

bingo70
08-11-2015, 06:42 AM

I think he exploited the testimonial he was given by dragging it out over various events over far too long a period.

That would have been fine if he was on a crusade to make money for a specific charity but iirc it was like pulling teeth trying to get any Info about how much was going to charity. Eventually the guy who was organising it was pretty much forced to give an answer on here but it wasn't a huge %.

Laughed at the post above that questioned why somebody wouldn't trust him when he's a hibby to the core, I love hibs but that doesn't automatically mean I like or trust everybody that supports the same team as me, there's loads of hibs fans that are dicks or I wouldn't trust.

AlbertK86
08-11-2015, 07:33 AM

Did Leigh not give us the middle finger when he was playing for us on loan. Seem to remember him getting flack when he first came on loan

Take it you hate him as well

Folk need to get a grip. Murray is a true Hibby who gave his all for the club in two spells at the club

marinello59
08-11-2015, 08:02 AM
M
Did Leigh not give us the middle finger when he was playing for us on loan. Seem to remember him getting flack when he first came on loan

Folk need to get a grip. Murray is a true Hibby who gave his all for the club in two spells at the club

Sparky gave us a signal of his dissatisfaction with us during the cup match against Cowdenbeath. From what I recall he had very little provocation unlike Murray who had received a shed load of abuse. Being human though, they both reacted as we probably all have done at some point in our lives. We have a number of Fitba supporters though who are a bit precious and whilst they are happy to dish it out any reciprocal behaviour from players is met with demands for police action and the bearing of lifelong grudges.

Cabbage East
08-11-2015, 08:02 AM
I've met him a couple of times and spoken to him about Hibs. He is Hibs through and through. Aye he did some daft things but it's easy to judge someone as a fan without knowing what it's like to be a fan and a professional footballer.

NAE NOOKIE
08-11-2015, 08:09 AM

This http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gif ...... Saves me having to read any more of this thread.

Beefster
08-11-2015, 08:25 AM

The victims of the middle finger got counselling though so I think they're okay now. I think the last part of the therapy was realising that they were all big boys and if you dish out abuse for 90 minutes, the abusee might lash out.

I'm indifferent about Murray and didn't attend his testimonial (although that was more about the farce surrounding how much money was going to charity) but you'd think he had been caught in a threesome with the missus and a goat judging by how some folk reacted to him at Ibrox.

HibbyAndy
08-11-2015, 08:33 AM
Hibs through and through.Murray was great player for us.

Brizo
08-11-2015, 08:41 AM
The attendance at his testimonial showed how most fans viewed him.

bingo70
08-11-2015, 08:43 AM
The attendance at his testimonial showed how most fans viewed him.

What one of his 46 events are you referring too?

Brizo
08-11-2015, 08:52 AM
What one of his 46 events are you referring too?

The game. Between 4000 and 5000 iirc. Id suggest most Hibbies were underwhelmed by it... although they might have been Murrayed out after attending the other 45 :wink: events !

lucky
08-11-2015, 08:59 AM
For me Murray should never have got a testimonial, he got his big pay when he took a Bosman to Rangers. He is also on the EBT list (£95k) as such he's a tax dodger. He might be a Hibs fan and ex player but certainly not one of my favourites.

Purple & Green
08-11-2015, 09:26 AM
Funny old thing management - Ian turned round part time no money Dumbarton immediately and had them getting better results than st mirren. I still reckon he'll come good but this season looks written off.

iwasthere1972
08-11-2015, 09:37 AM
I don't get all this hatred towards Ian Murray. Alright he left us to go to Rangers but as far as I can see he's a Hibby through and through. I hope he does well in his career.

B.H.F.C
08-11-2015, 10:42 AM

I liked Griffiths when he was scoring goals for Hibs. Don't particularly care for him now he's playing for Celtic.

I just don't think Murray conducted himself well and that particular incident springs to mind. I certainly don't think he deserved his testimonial.. Never actually said I hated him though.

oneone73
08-11-2015, 10:54 AM
For me Murray should never have got a testimonial, he got his big pay when he took a Bosman to Rangers. He is also on the EBT list (£95k) as such he's a tax dodger. He might be a Hibs fan and ex player but certainly not one of my favourites.

Agree with most of this. Wouldn't necessarily hang him for the EBT thing though

givescotlandfreedom
08-11-2015, 11:01 AM
I think he exploited the testimonial he was given by dragging it out over various events over far too long a period.

That would have been fine if he was on a crusade to make money for a specific charity but iirc it was like pulling teeth trying to get any Info about how much was going to charity. Eventually the guy who was organising it was pretty much forced to give an answer on here but it wasn't a huge %.

Laughed at the post above that questioned why somebody wouldn't trust him when he's a hibby to the core, I love hibs but that doesn't automatically mean I like or trust everybody that supports the same team as me, there's loads of hibs fans that are dicks or I wouldn't trust.

Th charity thing didn't sit well with me either. I went to the game but mainly to see some of the other players.

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-11-2015, 11:40 AM

Twice. Once at Cowdenbeath and once towards the families in the FF stand when taking a corner. He was actually suspended for that second one, as well as a suspension for sweating at the Rangers fans a few weeks previous.
I'm okay with Murray, liked him when I was younger, didn't like the way he left us but I'm over it. Certainly not someone I have amazing memories of, like Deek for example, however he's a Hibs fan so I wouldn't give him any abuse.
His two best Hibs moments were prob both at the PBS. 0-7 died in his hair and elbowing Ian Black in the puss

AlbertK86
08-11-2015, 11:45 AM
I don't get all this hatred towards Ian Murray. Alright he left us to go to Rangers but as far as I can see he's a Hibby through and through. I hope he does well in his career.

Spot on

SunshineOnLeith
08-11-2015, 12:02 PM
The game. Between 4000 and 5000 iirc. Id suggest most Hibbies were underwhelmed by it... although they might have been Murrayed out after attending the other 45 :wink: events !

4,000? Lucky if it was half that.

Andy74
08-11-2015, 12:05 PM

The Rangers thing doesn't bother me. I disliked him before that. Just something about him.

iwasthere1972
08-11-2015, 12:08 PM
The Rangers thing doesn't bother me. I disliked him before that. Just something about him.

Well I don't understand that one.

The_Horde
08-11-2015, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't give Ian Murray the ***** off my shoe. Horrible man, ***** manager. Cost us a pumping in 2012 and his testimonial was a joke.

hibsbollah
08-11-2015, 12:12 PM

:agree:

Theres always players that we support because they play for Hibs but we never really warm to, even when theyre performing well. I was like this with John Rankin.

Then theres players that we support unconditionally and theres a wee bit man love going on because theyve got something about them. I was like this with Boozy.

And then theres Franck Sauzee :sauzee:

Ian Murray is a proper Hibby, went to the same school as me, was a decent player but i just never really warmed to him.

My_Wife_Camille
08-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Ian Murray is a Hun boob with not a shred of decency. He's the kind of person who spits in his mates pints when they're not looking.

marinello59
08-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Ian Murray is a Hun boob with not a shred of decency. He's the kind of person who spits in his mates pints when they're not looking.

Look at me. Me. Me. Me.

MWHIBBIES
08-11-2015, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't give Ian Murray the ***** off my shoe. Horrible man, ***** manager. Cost us a pumping in 2012 and his testimonial was a joke.That is a new one.

My_Wife_Camille
08-11-2015, 12:21 PM
Look at me. Me. Me. Me.
A post bereft of originality, substance and intelligence. Please retire ASAP.

The_Horde
08-11-2015, 12:22 PM
That is a new one.

No, it's not. It's pretty common knowledge that he was a mixing arse in the run up to the final.

HappyHanlon
Iain Murry is the embodiement of what it is to support and play for Hibs.

marinello59
A post bereft of originality, substance and intelligence. Please retire ASAP.

Thought your doppelgänger Speechy would have replied first. You disappoint me.

MWHIBBIES
08-11-2015, 12:23 PM
No, it's not. It's pretty common knowledge that he was a mixing arse in the run up to the final.Aye, we'd have won for sure if it wasn't for that.

The_Horde
08-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Thought your doppelgänger Speechy would have replied first. You disappoint me.

:hilarious

Good one pal.

Jack
08-11-2015, 12:29 PM
I don't care about his past, that's gone.

If he continues to manage the way he is at the moment I hope he never comes back to Easter Road in the away dug out never mind the home one!

As a Hibby he'll always be welcomed as a spectator.

Wilson
08-11-2015, 01:03 PM
I don't care about his past, that's gone.

If he continues to manage the way he is at the moment I hope he never comes back to Easter Road in the away dug out never mind the home one!

As a Hibby he'll always be welcomed as a spectator.

I was impressed by his spell at Dumbarton. That they are still in this division is a credit to him and the players he had. I felt he needed a bigger gig before he could be considered for the hibs one and St. Mirren is it.

Things aren't going well but it is early days. It must be difficult going from managing part timers to full timers and meeting that different level of expectation. I think it will take a while before we see him get to grips with the role. Having a credible number two should now help. I hope he gets the time. I feel there may be a good manager in there just based on some of these results at Dumbarton.

PatHead
08-11-2015, 01:28 PM
The thing about St Mirren is they have been in decline for some time. The LC win just papered over the cracks. Not an easy job to take over a relegated side. Look how long we took to get in our stride.

I think he has the makings of a good manager.

hibby6270
08-11-2015, 01:36 PM
My only thought on him is that I never want to see him manage Hibs.

This.

Yes - a Hibby through and through but has not yet proved himself as a manager good enough to be at ER in the future.

Malthibby
08-11-2015, 01:59 PM
Jury's out on Murray as a manager but he's a Hibby who played for Hibs & that will do for me.
Also gave me one of my few great memories at Tynecastle when he put Neilson 6 feet in the air on
his comeback.
Spoiled by Nade actually scoring of course.
GG

whiskyhibby
08-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Murray is a diehard Hibee, has been all his life. You only get one career and like everybody else you want to make money, dont blame him at all.

Any player who shaves 0-7 into his head for the derby is alright in my book.

Agree

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
08-11-2015, 03:10 PM
Agree

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ 1
Great player for Hibs. Undebateable.

Purple & Green
08-11-2015, 06:28 PM
Jury's out on Murray as a manager but he's a Hibby who played for Hibs & that will do for me.
Also gave me one of my few great memories at Tynecastle when he put Neilson 6 feet in the air on
his comeback.
Spoiled by Nade actually scoring of course.
GG

He scored some cracking goals too, but my favourite Murray memory was when he knocked out Ian Black with a wild challenge in the early minutes of a new year Derby.

Pretty Boy
08-11-2015, 06:35 PM
He scored some cracking goals too, but my favourite Murray memory was when he knocked out Ian Black with a wild challenge in the early minutes of a new year Derby.

Just a shame Black got up off his erse to run the show for the following 89 minutes.

Cropley10
08-11-2015, 06:39 PM

Spot on sir :top marks

I've met Ian a couple of times and he's a very likeable, sensible guy.

Stevie Reid
08-11-2015, 06:48 PM
Die hard Hibbie who always gave everything for us.

IberianHibernian
08-11-2015, 08:57 PM
He's a judas, never understood why he got a testimonial. And even tho he has been touted hope he never he gets the hibs jobAgree with all this.

greenlex
08-11-2015, 09:11 PM
His tackle on a young Fraser Fyvie was a joy to behold.......... no wait that might be unpopular now.😀

poolman
08-11-2015, 09:21 PM
I've spoke to Ian Murray a couple of times in the Bruntsfield Hotel

He comes across as a really nice gracious guy who has a great feeling for Hibs

silverhibee
08-11-2015, 10:35 PM

I never said he wasn't.

Scouse Hibee
08-11-2015, 10:40 PM
His tackle on a young Fraser Fyvie was a joy to behold.......... no wait that might be unpopular now.😀

His tackle on Hinkel in front of the West was one of the hardest tackles I have seen, sticks in my memory when Murray took man and ball, Hinkel must have felt like he was hit by a train.

Andy74
08-11-2015, 10:42 PM
Die hard Hibbie who always gave everything for us.

I'm not aware of any actual die hard Hibbies who would contemplate representing the vile institution that is Rangers.

He might be a Hibs fan of sorts but a die hard or Hibs to the core? No.

jacomo
08-11-2015, 10:43 PM
Never understood the love-in. Ran down down his contract so he could be with his beloved Judas. And some thuggish tendencies towards the end if his playing career.

The time has long passed for expecting loyalty in football anymore. Life's too short to hold grudges.

He was a fine player for us in his first spell, was greatly hampered by injuries IMO, but a determined tryer in his 2nd spell.

If I met him at ER I'd happily shake his hand but based on his record so far I don't want him as a manager anymore.

My_Wife_Camille
08-11-2015, 10:44 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed watching Ihun Murrays hatchet men chasing shadows yesterday. As limited a manager as he was as a player.

Smartie
08-11-2015, 10:58 PM
I like him.

Hundreds of appearances for Hibs and a fully committed player. Hibs fan as a boy and clearly has feelings for the club. Lovely wee elbow on Ian Black back in the day, the kind of thing we could have done with in a certain cup final.

Yes, he was a bit of a knob the way he went about moving to Rangers but he wasn't the first and won't be the last.

I didn't think he deserved a testimonial.

Remember the position Dumbarton were in when he first went there - what he managed to do in stabilising that club was nothing short of miraculous, very impressive for a first job in management.

He's certainly taken on a tough gig at St Mirren and I think he's going to have to totally rebuild the squad. They can write off this season, hope we go up with Rangers and they can have a proper tilt at it again next year.

I'd be happy to have him back as manager one day. He has a bit of learning to do yet but I think he'll get there.

Baader
08-11-2015, 11:35 PM
I never said he wasn't.

Was just asking why - in your own words - you "wouldn't trust him as far as [you] could throw him."

Don't ever remember him selling the jersey in either spell he played for us but happy to be corrected on that.

IberianHibernian
09-11-2015, 12:08 AM
I'm not aware of any actual die hard Hibbies who would contemplate representing the vile institution that is Rangers.

He might be a Hibs fan of sorts but a die hard or Hibs to the core? No.Exactly .

Scouse Hibee
09-11-2015, 12:18 AM

Anyone die hard or not will go to where the money is and rightly so, daft to think otherwise.

MWHIBBIES
09-11-2015, 12:19 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed watching Ihun Murrays hatchet men chasing shadows yesterday. As limited a manager as he was as a player.He was a quality player though?

Stevie Reid
09-11-2015, 12:26 AM

You always come across as a pretty articulate guy on here, Andy - but that is an incredibly simplistic viewpoint.

Ian is a Hibs fan, no doubt. However, he has served other clubs as a player and a manager - as you would expect from a professional.

I don't doubt Leigh Griffiths is a die hard - and I don't have any issue with him playing for Celtic.

Baader
09-11-2015, 12:31 AM

That's naive. Easy to say when you are in a career that doesn't generally end when you're in your thirties.

Andy74
09-11-2015, 08:34 AM
You always come across as a pretty articulate guy on here, Andy - but that is an incredibly simplistic viewpoint.

Ian is a Hibs fan, no doubt. However, he has served other clubs as a player and a manager - as you would expect from a professional.

I don't doubt Leigh Griffiths is a die hard - and I don't have any issue with him playing for Celtic.

We've all got choices in our career and lives. There are companies I won't work for. Cities I wouldn't live in. Rangers to me is an institution that personally I couldn't go near and I'm sure most people that would call themselves die hard Hibs fans would have a similar view.

bigwheel
09-11-2015, 08:45 AM
We've all got choices in our career and lives. There are companies I won't work for. Cities I wouldn't live in. Rangers to me is an institution that personally I couldn't go near and I'm sure most people that would call themselves die hard Hibs fans would have a similar view.

Any player wants to play at the highest level they can - that's all Ian Murray did...your view is a view of a fan - not someone's who pays their mortgage by being a footballer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy74
09-11-2015, 08:56 AM
Any player wants to play at the highest level they can - that's all Ian Murray did...your view is a view of a fan - not someone's who pays their mortgage by being a footballer

No it's the view of a human being who wouldn't represent Rangers for any money.

JimBHibees
09-11-2015, 09:03 AM

Easier to say if he had similar offers from more than one team however less so if the only decent offer which would I am assuming set him up for life and give him more chance of winning trophies playing in Europe.

Andy74
09-11-2015, 09:08 AM
Easier to say if he had similar offers from more than one team however less so if the only decent offer which would I am assuming set him up for life and give him more chance of winning trophies playing in Europe.

What I'm saying is that Rangers could not be an option for me under any of those circumstances. It's not just easy to say, I wouldn't do it.

Footballers aren't alone in having choices on where to work and potentially setting yourself up by working in certain places or for certain employers.

Im sure there are employers you wouldn't work for under any conditions?

bigwheel
09-11-2015, 09:09 AM

Yes. Looking through the eye of a fan

JimBHibees
09-11-2015, 09:46 AM
What I'm saying is that Rangers could not be an option for me under any of those circumstances. It's not just easy to say, I wouldn't do it.

Footballers aren't alone in having choices on where to work and potentially setting yourself up by working in certain places or for certain employers.

Im sure there are employers you wouldn't work for under any conditions?

I agree to an extent however not sure the wife would be as understanding. :greengrin

Most people would tend to rationalise their decision in this case.

Andy74
09-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Yes. Looking through the eye of a fan

Not at all. It's the point I'm making. As an institution Rangers are something I would not work for in any capacity. It's nothing to do with being a fan because it's the stuff they stand for I couldn't have any part of.

I'd find it difficult that any died in the wool Hibs fan could see past everything that institution is about and represents them. From a just being a human being point of view as well as football.

J-C
09-11-2015, 11:48 AM
I have met Ian a good few times, he's a nice lad and a genuine Hibs fan but lets not get all sentimental here, football has a 20 year (if you're lucky) life span and being offered the amount of money from Rangers compared to what Hibs were offering, there's no comparison. I wasn't happy with the way he left to go there, maybe signing a short deal so Hibs got some cash may have been a better way to appease the fans but these guys are taking advise from their agents.

Argylehibby
09-11-2015, 07:58 PM
His career was hampered by illness if I remember correctly. Although it didn't end his career it certainly affected how employable he was. Had he stayed on at Hibs and that illness had ended his career his wealth would have been considerably less than it would have been moving to Ibrox. It's for that reason I reckon any player who has the chance to earn big bucks will take it because they're just 1 injury or 1 illness away from having income and I find it hard to blame any of them for doing so.

I also don't get the "way he left" being a reason to have a pop at him. He let his contract run down and signed for another club paying more money. Folk complained at the time it was because he didn't just come out and say he was leaving but Caldwell did that a year later and we all know the reaction that received. Both continue to be subjected to some hostility on here when the chance arises. Deeks was not only prepared to let his contract run down but then not sign for Celtic until late January making sure that if that happened Hibs would get nothing. Is that not worse than Murray or Caldwell's actions? Of course he got an early move, Hibs got some cash but he's never been on the receiving end of the same hostility. For the record before Silver picks up on this I'd be delighted if he came back for a 3rd stint if he's fit enough and Stubbs thinks he can do a job. I'm not having a dig at Deek, I just don't understand why the others who did less "wrong" get the stick.

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2015, 08:09 PM
His career was hampered by illness if I remember correctly. Although it didn't end his career it certainly affected how employable he was. Had he stayed on at Hibs and that illness had ended his career his wealth would have been considerably less than it would have been moving to Ibrox. It's for that reason I reckon any player who has the chance to earn big bucks will take it because they're just 1 injury or 1 illness away from having income and I find it hard to blame any of them for doing so.

I also don't get the "way he left" being a reason to have a pop at him. He let his contract run down and signed for another club paying more money. Folk complained at the time it was because he didn't just come out and say he was leaving but Caldwell did that a year later and we all know the reaction that received. Both continue to be subjected to some hostility on here when the chance arises. Deeks was not only prepared to let his contract run down but then not sign for Celtic until late January making sure that if that happened Hibs would get nothing. Is that not worse than Murray or Caldwell's actions? Of course he got an early move, Hibs got some cash but he's never been on the receiving end of the same hostility. For the record before Silver picks up on this I'd be delighted if he came back for a 3rd stint if he's fit enough and Stubbs thinks he can do a job. I'm not having a dig at Deek, I just don't understand why the others who did less "wrong" get the stick.

I never took to him, but he did have some very good performances for us over the years. My only real gripe about him was him getting a testimonial, that was scandalous in my opinion.

I was happy it was a miserable failure, he earnt his testimonial money when he left and signed on at the bigot dome for a huge wage rise.

tamig
09-11-2015, 08:38 PM

I was at the game and Murray took dogs abuse from start to finish. A few of my mates were up in arms when he gave the finger. I was just delighted that we thrashed them that day. Anybody bringing up the finger incident is a wee bit precious in my book. Absolutely nothing in it.

tamig
09-11-2015, 08:44 PM

Nonsense. He's a pro. Doesn't mean he's any less of a Hibbie than most of us on here.

tamig
09-11-2015, 08:47 PM

Spot on.

Thecat23
09-11-2015, 08:51 PM

He moved to a club who at the time was winning medals Andy. They had players better than us and to improve you want to work with the best you can.

Money was clearly an issue as well, he was going to more than treble his wage and in football that's what most want. It's a short game and injury can be just one game away.

Derek went to Celtic and I still think he made the right choice for him at the time. If I was a Hibs player and I got a chance to move to a bigger club that I knew I'd win cups I'd go. You want to get the best out of the game Hibs fan or not. To think otherwise is just looking through green specs and being a typical supporter.

Andy74
09-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Spot on.

It's not spot on at all. I don't care if he is a professional or not. There are other football teams out there. Players have a choice as to where they end up.

Its it the main reason I dislike him but it does make him less of a Hibby than others.

That club and its support are the absolute antithesis of everything our club was founded on and they represent just about everything wrong with Scottish society.

Being professional in something is not an excuse for not having morals or integrity. I am sure there are employers that each of us would choose never to work for, whether it's our profession or not. A Hibs fan pulling on a Rangers shirt? Yes, that does make them less of a Hibby than the vast majority.

Andy74
09-11-2015, 08:57 PM
He moved to a club who at the time was winning medals Andy. They had players better than us and to improve you want to work with the best you can.

Money was clearly an issue as well, he was going to more than treble his wage and in football that's what most want. It's a short game and injury can be just one game away.

Derek went to Celtic and I still think he made the right choice for him at the time. If I was a Hibs player and I got a chance to move to a bigger club that I knew I'd win cups I'd go. You want to get the best out of the game Hibs fan or not. To think otherwise is just looking through green specs and being a typical supporter.

Rangers are just another football team and no more then?

What they stand for means nothing when money and medals come into it?

bingo70
09-11-2015, 09:00 PM

Andy appears to be in the minority but I think I'm sort of in agreement with him. I simply wouldn't ever play for rangers, no matter what they were offering.

Not sure if the fact Murray thinks otherwise to us makes him less of a hibs fan or not though but I definitely could never join that mob.

Thecat23
09-11-2015, 09:00 PM
Rangers are just another football team and no more then?

What they stand for means nothing when money and medals come into it?

In the footballing world Andy yes, they are just another team! They were a lot bigger than Hibs. What you think of Riordan going to Celtic and letting his contract run down as Murray did?

Again, your thinking as a fan not a player making a lively hood.

3pm
09-11-2015, 09:02 PM
Andy appears to be in the minority but I think I'm sort of in agreement with him. I simply wouldn't ever play for rangers, no matter what they were offering.

Not sure if the fact Murray thinks otherwise to us makes him less of a hibs fan or not though but I definitely could never join that mob.

Easy to say that when you're pish and got no chance of joining them.

Thecat23
09-11-2015, 09:03 PM

That's the thing Bingo easy to say if your not a player. When offered a contract at a bigger club, better money, and a chance of league and cup medals it's not that straight forward. You are a Hibs fan and that's why you find it harder having never played if that makes sense.

Andy74
09-11-2015, 09:03 PM
In the footballing world Andy yes, they are just another team! They were a lot bigger than Hibs. What you think of Riordan going to Celtic and letting his contract run down as Murray did?

Again, your thinking as a fan not a player making a lively hood.

I'm not sure why people keep saying this thinking as a fan thing. The issues with Rangers have nothing to do with football.

Are there not companies you wouldn't work for under any circumstances?

bingo70
09-11-2015, 09:05 PM
Easy to say that when you're pish and got no chance of joining them.

**** you, I scored 2 at fives last week.

Call it easy to say if you want, there's obviously no way I can prove otherwise but I can assure you I'd never play for them.

In the unlikely event my son is good at football and has a chance of making it I'll be advising him to stay away from that club too.

Its a horrible institution filled with bigotry and hatred and I wouldn't want that anywhere near any member of my family.

Thecat23
09-11-2015, 09:05 PM
I'm not sure why people keep saying this thinking as a fan thing. The issues with Rangers have nothing to do with football.

Are there not companies you wouldn't work for under any circumstances?

They are still a football club first and foremost no? You haven't been put in that position so easy to say how you feel. You never answered my question on Riordan?

tamig
09-11-2015, 09:09 PM
It's not spot on at all. I don't care if he is a professional or not. There are other football teams out there. Players have a choice as to where they end up.

Its it the main reason I dislike him but it does make him less of a Hibby than others.

That club and its support are the absolute antithesis of everything our club was founded on and they represent just about everything wrong with Scottish society.

Being professional in something is not an excuse for not having morals or integrity. I am sure there are employers that each of us would choose never to work for, whether it's our profession or not. A Hibs fan pulling on a Rangers shirt? Yes, that does make them less of a Hibby than the vast majority.

You're not a pro footballer so I find it difficult to understand how you can possibly be so certain. You are in banking. Which banks would you not work for? Let's say one of those no-go banks head hunted you on a package 4 times your current deal, are you honestly saying you'd reject it flat out on moral grounds? I would have to think about it long and hard but I'd find it very difficult to knock back that kind of offer/opportunity.

bingo70
09-11-2015, 09:10 PM
That's the thing Bingo easy to say if your not a player. When offered a contract at a bigger club, better money, and a chance of league and cup medals it's not that straight forward. You are a Hibs fan and that's why you find it harder having never played if that makes sense.

More to life than money.

I think that's something the average footballer and fan doesn't seem to grasp either.

If I had strong beliefs about an organisation would I just drop those beliefs so I could win a couple of trophies and make a quick buck? Absolutely not.

Got to remember, the option wasn't dole or rangers, he could have stayed at hibs and earned a relatively good salary or more realistically he could have gone down south.

Diclonius
09-11-2015, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't give Ian Murray the ***** off my shoe. Horrible man, ***** manager. Cost us a pumping in 2012 and his testimonial was a joke.

He didn't play in the final?

Thecat23
09-11-2015, 09:14 PM
More to life than money.

I think that's something the average footballer and fan doesn't seem to grasp either.

If I had strong beliefs about an organisation would I just drop those beliefs so I could win a couple of trophies and make a quick buck? Absolutely not.

Got to remember, the option wasn't dole or rangers, he could have stayed at hibs and earned a relatively good salary or more realistically he could have gone down south.

There is defo more to life than money, I agree! But when your sole purpose is to do the best in the trade you are applying you want to push yourself and work with the best you can.

Winning medals was also a factor id imagine Derek and Ian left us to head west like many have. Money is more a bonus. Plus if you have a young family I'd like to offer them the best I could so for me id go every time. My son comes first and if I can secure a good education and future by applying my trade in Glasgow then so be it.

tamig
09-11-2015, 09:15 PM
More to life than money.

Football isn't like most other careers though. You need to strike while the iron is hot and maximise whatever may come your way. The high earning years aren't available to the majority of players up here so if the opportunity arises to set yourself up for a decent life post-football you surely have to grab it?

bingo70
09-11-2015, 09:24 PM
Football isn't like most other careers though. You need to strike while the iron is hot and maximise whatever may come your way. The high earning years aren't available to the majority of players up here so if the opportunity arises to set yourself up for a decent life post-football you surely have to grab it?

You don't have to grab it at all imo.

I've not been in the same career since I was 16, I never signed for rangers and I'd say I've got a decent life. I'm personally not money driven, course I'd like more but what I've never had I don't miss. Why do footballers need to earn such massive amounts so they can retire from working mid thirties? They can always get another career after football!

Andy74
09-11-2015, 10:02 PM
You're not a pro footballer so I find it difficult to understand how you can possibly be so certain. You are in banking. Which banks would you not work for? Let's say one of those no-go banks head hunted you on a package 4 times your current deal, are you honestly saying you'd reject it flat out on moral grounds? I would have to think about it long and hard but I'd find it very difficult to knock back that kind of offer/opportunity.

I happen to work for a bank but in my line of work I could work for any company, including Rangers.

I didn't say there were any banks I wouldn't work for. I don't feel strongly enough about any of them.

tamig
09-11-2015, 10:17 PM
You don't have to grab it at all imo.

I've not been in the same career since I was 16, I never signed for rangers and I'd say I've got a decent life. I'm personally not money driven, course I'd like more but what I've never had I don't miss. Why do footballers need to earn such massive amounts so they can retire from working mid thirties? They can always get another career after football!
So I'll ask you the same as I asked Andy. If you were offered 4 times your current money in whatever it is you do just now would you not consider it? I don't think there are too many players in Scotland earning the kind of money you allude to. So if you can ease the pressure of having to find a new career after football by making big bucks when your stock is high, I think the majority of players would seize that opportunity.

Baader
09-11-2015, 10:59 PM
I happen to work for a bank but in my line of work I could work for any company, including Rangers.

I didn't say there were any banks I wouldn't work for. I don't feel strongly enough about any of them.

There are banks with reprehensible track records, working policies and tax setups that the Huns can only aspire to!

My_Wife_Camille
09-11-2015, 11:21 PM
So I'll ask you the same as I asked Andy. If you were offered 4 times your current money in whatever it is you do just now would you not consider it? I don't think there are too many players in Scotland earning the kind of money you allude to. So if you can ease the pressure of having to find a new career after football by making big bucks when your stock is high, I think the majority of players would seize that opportunity.
I can't answer for bingo70 but I certainly wouldn't move anywhere for 4 times my current money if the company offering it had a history of bigotry, sectarianism and racism comparable to that of Rangers Football Club.

Andy74
10-11-2015, 12:12 AM
There are banks with reprehensible track records, working policies and tax setups that the Huns can only aspire to!

I'm sure there are. I'm not aware of any that want to be up to their knees in my blood though.

Scouse Hibee
10-11-2015, 08:20 AM
I'm sure there are. I'm not aware of any that want to be up to their knees in my blood though.

Can't think of any single business anywhere that would in cluding The Rangers.

oneone73
10-11-2015, 10:09 AM
Can't think of any single business anywhere that would in cluding The Rangers.

I guess my biggest problem with Murray - aside from his love for Judas - is the testimonial. No way should he have had one. I can live with it if every penny went to charity, I suppose. But greater servants to the club than him have not been given one.

Holmesdale Hibs
10-11-2015, 10:12 AM
I can't answer for bingo70 but I certainly wouldn't move anywhere for 4 times my current money if the company offering it had a history of bigotry, sectarianism and racism comparable to that of Rangers Football Club.

I'd like to say the same but it's difficult to know what you'd do without being in the situation. At the time, the Huns were qualifying regularly for the Champions League so it's a bit different to moving there now.

I agree that he shouldn't have had a testimonial but I don't really have an issue with him. He is a Hibby and gave his best for the club while he was here. I was at the Ivan game when he gave the one fingered salute, which was very disrespectful but he was getting it tight from the fans and he's not the first person to do something stupid in the heat of the moment.

If he ever comes back as manager I wouldn't have a problem with him and don't see any need to give him a hard time when he comes to support us.

snooky
10-11-2015, 10:23 AM
I guess my biggest problem with Murray - aside from his love for Judas - is the testimonial. No way should he have had one. I can live with it if every penny went to charity, I suppose. But greater servants to the club than him have not been given one.

How many players haven't chased the silver and put club before money?
Off the top of my head, I can think of only two. Steve Bull & Matt Le Tissier.
I doff my chapeau to them.

Personally, if I had ever been a pro player, I could never sign for the OF.
I have values that can't be bought.

TheFamous1875
10-11-2015, 06:54 PM
Ian Murray is tonights 'boot room' guest on Peter & Roughie's Football Show. Being re-shown at 22:30 on STV Edinburgh and will be on STV Player.

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-11-2015, 07:06 PM
Ian Murray is tonights 'boot room' guest on Peter & Roughie's Football Show. Being re-shown at 22:30 on STV Edinburgh and will be on STV Player.

Don't usually watch it but just caught it whilst channel surfing

silverhibee
10-11-2015, 10:50 PM
They are still a football club first and foremost no? You haven't been put in that position so easy to say how you feel. You never answered my question on Riordan?

Hibs got a fee for him when he went to Celtc, also the timing of his contract coming to a end during windows didn't help.

Bostonhibby
10-11-2015, 10:56 PM

:agree:

Nor are they directly trying to beat us on the pitch, or worse covertly funding a rivals attempt to obliterate us, not since the old Bank of Scotland gave Mercer as much cash as he asked for without a thought for any due diligence.

Argylehibby
10-11-2015, 11:17 PM
Hibs got a fee for him when he went to Celtc, also the timing of his contract coming to a end during windows didn't help.

I think you mean his contract run out between windows Silver. As I have said before, unlike Murray and Caldwell, Derek manipulated the situation to either get an early move or ensure Hibs got nothing for him. Yes Hibs got money but only because they were put in a position where they could sell him in the summer or hold onto him until his contract ran in October. Derek was prepared to wait until after his birthday in mid / late January to sign for Celtic giving Hibs He Haw as he was then too old for Hibs to claim a development fee. His actions in signing a pre contract where he joined Celtic after his birthday was in my opinion worse than doing what Murray or Caldwell did and let their contracts run down. I have no gripe with Derek letting his contract run down but it's a sore one that he was prepared to wait until after his birthday to sign up in Glasgow. Yet despite that he gets a completely different reaction from folk on here to Murray or Caldwell which I don't understand.

Sir David Gray
10-11-2015, 11:40 PM

If I was a football player, I would never play for Celtic or Sevco because of what both clubs represent and I wouldn't play for Hearts either, just because.

Bostonhibby
11-11-2015, 12:04 AM
I think you mean his contract run out between windows Silver. As I have said before, unlike Murray and Caldwell, Derek manipulated the situation to either get an early move or ensure Hibs got nothing for him. Yes Hibs got money but only because they were put in a position where they could sell him in the summer or hold onto him until his contract ran in October. Derek was prepared to wait until after his birthday in mid / late January to sign for Celtic giving Hibs He Haw as he was then too old for Hibs to claim a development fee. His actions in signing a pre contract where he joined Celtic after his birthday was in my opinion worse than doing what Murray or Caldwell did and let their contracts run down. I have no gripe with Derek letting his contract run down but it's a sore one that he was prepared to wait until after his birthday to sign up in Glasgow. Yet despite that he gets a completely different reaction from folk on here to Murray or Caldwell which I don't understand.
[emoji106] It's a compelling argument and I haven't got much to offer to knock it.

I think most things have become forgivable for Derek for a lot of us because of the goals he scored before he went and when he returned. It's an emotional business and we can forgive a lot of a Hibby who created so many memories for many of us?

Young men do and say daft things. I think Derek left in circumstances that were hard to take but they weren't as bad as Ian's.

Years later they both built some bridges back but Derek is always going to be remembered more fondly as time goes by, and be better thought of at this moment in time because of where he is and the promise that he might, just might have a credible contribution to make at the club he loves and that by and large loves him.

Fickle lot football fans!

BSEJVT
11-11-2015, 07:18 PM
I think it easy and laughable for people to pontificate how they wouldn't do this or that when there is no chance of them being asked to.

It's just look at me grandstanding.

Additionally for all that The Rangers are the big bugaboo for some folk, other folk like me detest Celtic even more.

I don't see the guys that signed for Celtic getting the same angst as those that signed for Rangers.

Two cheeks of the same arse if you ask me, but I will always hate Celtic more for a couple of reasons:

They were our real rivals in the days of the Tornadoes when I was growing up, Rangers were a relative nonentity we beat regularly

It's always stuck in my craw a bit how they were founded and how they treated us after the help we had given them.

Smartie
11-11-2015, 07:36 PM
I think it easy and laughable for people to pontificate how they wouldn't do this or that when there is no chance of them being asked to.

Additionally for all that The Rangers are the big bugaboo for some folk, other folk like me detest Celtic even more.

I don't see the guys that signed for Celtic getting the same angst as those that signed for Rangers.

Two cheeks of the same arse if you ask me, but I will always hate Celtic more for a couple of reasons:

They were our real rivals in the days of the Tornadoes when I was growing up, Rangers were a relative nonentity we beat regularly

It's always stuck in my craw a bit how they were founded and how they treated us after the help we had given them.

I've always been irritated by their patronising pally-pally crap as well. They have a false sense that we have a lot in common with them and that that should lead us to somehow roll over for them. It really gets on my nerves, and it is particularly sweet when they take us beating them so badly.

I can't stand Rangers but at least we know where we stand with them.

Andy74
11-11-2015, 09:44 PM

So would you work for Celtic?

Lucius Apuleius
11-11-2015, 10:35 PM

My feelings on celtc too. Dislike them more than any other team.

BSEJVT
11-11-2015, 10:56 PM
So would you work for Celtic?

Here and now I couldn't say who I would work for and who I wouldn't as the situation hasn't arisen and its impossible to put myself truly in that position until it does.

I accept that that is a cop out though as I know what you are trying to get to.

So I will try a bit harder. Trying to think it through, my decision at that time would need to be based on at least the following which are non negotiable:

1) Is the business breaking criminal laws?

2) Could I work for the top guy and / or my line manager

After that the decision as to whether to or not becomes a bit more opaque

I worked for Bos, Hbos & latterly LBG for 34 years, there were times over that period where I:

1) disliked them as organisations (less so Bos)

2) disliked line and senior management

3) distrusted their motivations and they way they treated people

but I had a wife and 2 children to support and not being independently wealthy had no choice but to work through it as I was well paid and highly regarded.

People's motivations are different and whilst working in football at all (even for Hibs) does not and has not ever appealed to me, I am not convinced that if I absolutely needed to that I could turn down anyone, subject to the two caveats.

I would also add the rider that if I thought about it longer and with a clearer head that I might want to add more caveats

That of course brings us to defining needed to and that is an entirely separate debate.

worcesterhibby
11-11-2015, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't work for Rangers or a bank. I could never be happy making my living off the back of Human Misery ! :greengrin

Andy74
11-11-2015, 11:35 PM
Here and now I couldn't say who I would work for and who I wouldn't as the situation hasn't arisen and its impossible to put myself truly in that position until it does.

I accept that that is a cop out though as I know what you are trying to get to.

So I will try a bit harder. Trying to think it through, my decision at that time would need to be based on at least the following which are non negotiable:

1) Is the business breaking criminal laws?

2) Could I work for the top guy and / or my line manager

After that the decision as to whether to or not becomes a bit more opaque

I worked for Bos, Hbos & latterly LBG for 34 years, there were times over that period where I:

1) disliked them as organisations (less so Bos)

2) disliked line and senior management

3) distrusted their motivations and they way they treated people

but I had a wife and 2 children to support and not being independently wealthy had no choice but to work through it as I was well paid and highly regarded.

People's motivations are different and whilst working in football at all (even for Hibs) does not and has not ever appealed to me, I am not convinced that if I absolutely needed to that I could turn down anyone, subject to the two caveats.

I would also add the rider that if I thought about it longer and with a clearer head that I might want to add more caveats

That of course brings us to defining needed to and that is an entirely separate debate.

Okay but would you accept that you were a bit dismissive of how others might make the decision?

Take playing football out of it as I could work for Rangers in the job I do. I wouldn't work for them.

There's not many companies I could say that for with much certainty but I despise all they stand for and so that couldn't be bought out.

I'm not that certain who else would go on the list but they are an easy one.

Beefster
12-11-2015, 06:54 AM
Okay but would you accept that you were a bit dismissive of how others might make the decision?

Take playing football out of it as I could work for Rangers in the job I do. I wouldn't work for them.

There's not many companies I could say that for with much certainty but I despise all they stand for and so that couldn't be bought out.

Sorry Andy, you can claim it until you're blue in the face but if you've no job, no other options and the house is on the brink of repossession, I think you would work for them.

I could do my job for just about any company going and I've got a list of employers that I wouldn't work for given 'normal' circumstances (RBS being one of them). However, I'm pragmatic enough to know that if it was between working for a shyster or my family being on the street, it wouldn't even be a real decision.

BSEJVT
12-11-2015, 07:04 AM

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree.

I still think making pronouncements over what you are going to do or not do when it is a hypothetical question is an easy shout and is grandstanding.