PDA

View Full Version : Flattering Article About Hibs In The Herald

Keith_M
07-11-2015, 09:56 AM
It looks like Hibs are getting noticed through the West.

If you ignore the constant references to Hearts, it's quite a good article (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13951402.Consistent_run_can_help_Hibernian__quot_d o_a_Hearts_quot__this_season/)

Treadstone
07-11-2015, 10:01 AM
That second paragraph makes me embarrassed for the writer. Entirely made up to accentuate the article.

Oscar T Grouch
07-11-2015, 10:07 AM
That second paragraph makes me embarrassed for the writer. Entirely made up to accentuate the article.

Yeah never heard that in ma puff from any yams. Totally made up.

hibsbollah
07-11-2015, 10:24 AM
That second paragraph. The sentence construction is as bad as the content.

I think i prefered it when the media mocked us to be honest.

wookie70
07-11-2015, 10:39 AM
It is only a decent article because the vast majority is a quote from Keats. The rest is nonsense and I agree I have never heard anyone use the phrase in the second paragraph.

R'Albin
07-11-2015, 10:45 AM
That guy really 'Hibsed' that article.

Mr White
07-11-2015, 10:47 AM
That guy really 'Hibsed' that article.

:tee hee:

bingo70
07-11-2015, 10:49 AM

I've been using that phrase for years. Definately not made up.

Difficult paragraph to read and make sense of but "hibsed it" is definitely a common phrase amongst me and my mates.

xyz23jc
07-11-2015, 10:50 AM
That second paragraph. The sentence construction is as bad as the content.

I think i prefered it when the media mocked us to be honest.

They've already tried that to unsettle us, now it's Plan B! Sticks in their craw I bet but heh ho as long as The Rangers prevail! :greengrin

Walter
07-11-2015, 10:52 AM

Unfortunately I have heard it

greenlex
07-11-2015, 11:22 AM

If you ignore the constant references to Hearts, it's quite a good article (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13951402.Consistent_run_can_help_Hibernian__quot_d o_a_Hearts_quot__this_season/)
Are you dyslexic? You seem to have spelt Faltering incorrectly in the title

Brooster
07-11-2015, 11:33 AM
What a load of crock.

NAE NOOKIE
07-11-2015, 12:01 PM
Its not too bad an article. As for 'making a Hibs of things' or 'Hibsing things up' I haven't heard that used as an actual expression, but its pretty common amongst us to have the view that ( based on past events ) when it comes to Hibs a presumption that things will go well is getting ahead of yourself. On that basis its more likely any expression in common use based on that outlook comes out of Leith, not Gorgie.

Keith_M
07-11-2015, 12:14 PM
It's a shame most people concentrated on the one stupid paragraph, as the rest of the article is uncharacteristically complimentary.

BoomtownHibees
07-11-2015, 12:26 PM
It's a shame most people concentrated on the one stupid paragraph, as the rest of the article is uncharacteristically complimentary.

It's a shame that the author has spoiled an uncharacteristically complimentary article with his one stupid paragraph

mattyjacklegend
07-11-2015, 12:36 PM
It's a shame that the author has spoiled an uncharacteristically complimentary article with his one stupid paragraph

"Hibsed it" is a phrase used by many Premiership clubs fans. More common than we think unfortunately.

BoomtownHibees
07-11-2015, 12:37 PM
"Hibsed it" is a phrase used by many Premiership clubs fans. More common than we think unfortunately.

Not something I've ever heard tbh

--------
07-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Sorry - just up and still half asleep. Many apologies.

Having found and clicked on the link (sorry again) it seems a not too bad article on the surface, BUT ...

I'm always suspicious when the Glasgow media start saying nice things about Hibs. It's almost as if they're trying to distract us or put us off our stroke. (Or encouraging other clubs to come sniffing around our best players.) I'd much rather they were honest and sincere and just carried on bad-mouthing us.

I mean, we all know that what's really wrong with Scottish football is that without The Rangers in the Premiership, we don't enjoy our half-dozen hate-fests every season. That's why Celtc were so dire on Thursday - they have no regular serious opposition. So shouldn't we just roll over and let them win the Championship as quickly and easily as possible?

And I've heard the expression "to Hibs it" - meaning to screw things up comprehensively after a promising start.

magpie1892
07-11-2015, 12:58 PM
Why's he talking about 'rickets' - bone deformation usually as a result of malnutrition?

Does he mean 'rick' and got autocorrected without noticing?

.Sean.
07-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Wind and pish, no more than to be expected from a dirty, Weegie rag

oneone73
07-11-2015, 01:24 PM
Fwiw, the author is a dyed in the wool St Mirren fan. And a good guy.

Onion
07-11-2015, 01:35 PM

Read the first 5 paras and that was enough for me. Lot of garbage. As per usual, Hibs beat a Glasgow club and all of a sudden we're an irresistible force. a joy to watch. Do you really think the media have our best interest at heart in writing this type of crap - not a chance. Fact is, Hibs have been a disaster for years and all we're doing now is starting to punch our weight - nothing more, nothing less. We've won nothing and still languish in 2nd place in the 2nd tier of Scottish football. Just more condescending pish from the media.

magpie1892
07-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Fwiw, the author is a dyed in the wool St Mirren fan. And a good guy.

And a really chronic writer...

The Green Goblin
07-11-2015, 01:36 PM
I thought the article was patronising, badly written and the "compliments" were backhanded. The message was: "Hibs aren't being as crap as they usually are". I didn't think it was positive or flattering at all. For positive press, watch the Hibs TV videos and reports.

God Petrie
07-11-2015, 01:42 PM
No wonder newspapers are dying when this is the level of journalism.

Peevemor
07-11-2015, 02:05 PM
No wonder newspapers are dying when this is the level of journalism.

Exactly.

He says that we're on a good run so we're better than we were. There's no analysis, no suggestion as to why, no comment on systems/tactics or individual players.

It shouldn't have taken him more than 3-4 minutes to write his bit, then the same again to quote Keatings.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-11-2015, 02:19 PM
I've been using that phrase for years. Definately not made up.

Difficult paragraph to read and make sense of but "hibsed it" is definitely a common phrase amongst me and my mates.

Never heard it before!

Jim44
07-11-2015, 02:51 PM
Although it's not written by him, is it any coincidence that Jambo Stuart Bathgate, arch-Hibby hater, now works for the Herald?

oneone73
07-11-2015, 02:54 PM
Although it's not written by him, is it any coincidence that Jambo Stuart Bathgate, arch-Hibby hater, now works for the Herald?

Yes. What a stupid post.

Jack Hackett
07-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Yes. What a stupid post.

Bit touchy today Stuart :greengrin

The Green Goblin
07-11-2015, 03:26 PM

Yes. What a stupid post.

Given that Bathgate has a long history of barely concealing his contempt for Hibs in countless articles over the years, I don't think it's such a stupid suggestion.

oneone73
07-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Given that Bathgate has a long history of barely concealing his contempt for Hibs in countless articles over the years, I don't think it's such a stupid suggestion.

The inference being that The Herald goes out of its way to hire anti-Hibs hacks, or that Stuart Bathgate tells everyone what to write?
That's some amount of paranoia at work here.

Onion
07-11-2015, 04:03 PM
The inference being that The Herald goes out of its way to hire anti-Hibs hacks, or that Stuart Bathgate tells everyone what to write?

Unless it has a clear disrupting purpose, writing anything remotely positive about Hibs is a career limiting activity :greengrin

Jim44
07-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Yes. What a stupid post.

Sorry, Stuart.

Jim44
07-11-2015, 04:16 PM

Are you telling me that these hacks conduct themselves in an upstanding professional manner at all times? You don't think they have a bit of banter among themselves? Is it beyond the realms of possibility that one could influence or encourage another to give a particular slant to a story? To be fair, you're possibly right in this case but don't underestimate the anti-Hibs agenda that the likes of Bathgate has. No paranoia ......... absolute, well-documented fact.

lyonhibs
07-11-2015, 04:45 PM
What a tiresome article. They " Hibsed" it. Said nobody ever.

erin go bragh
07-11-2015, 07:00 PM
Quite liked the Herald running up to the Independence referendum but who the fuuck has ever heard Hibsed it ?

The_Horde
07-11-2015, 07:04 PM
I read that this morning whilst devouring a salmon and cream cheese bagel. The writer clearly has a poor grasp of the English language.

Furthermore, making up nonsense phrases that hearts fans supposedly said is not on point and it's just terribly inaccurate.

Walter
08-11-2015, 03:11 AM
I read that this morning whilst devouring a salmon and cream cheese bagel. The writer clearly has a poor grasp of the English language.

Furthermore, making up nonsense phrases that hearts fans supposedly said is not on point and it's just terribly inaccurate.

Except they do use that phrase!

bingo70
08-11-2015, 06:46 AM

I know, and so do quite a few hibs fans I know.

Nothing wrong with having a laugh at yourself and laughing at the likelihood of us, or another team for that matter hibsing it.

Some folk are awfy precious.

Keith_M
08-11-2015, 07:51 AM

Nothing wrong with having a laugh at yourself and laughing at the likelihood of us, or another team for that matter hibsing it.

:agree:

green day
08-11-2015, 08:08 AM

It's odd, until yesterday I had never heard it?

Then it was on this article and mentioned in Off The Ball that Jambo's texted them after St Midden scored that we were about to "hibs it" !!!

To be fair, we have "hibsed it" a few times over the years.........

Just Alf
08-11-2015, 09:19 AM

Agree! ... :agree:

In fact some proof that we can still "Hibs it" can be seen on these very forums..... We won... WON! ... Yesterday, and we have a couple of "Hibsed" threads... The match day one and the elephant one... Prime examples! :greengrin

Jim44
08-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Well I'm going to ignore it till Susie Dent says it's been included in the Collins English dictionary. :cb

GreenLake
08-11-2015, 11:45 AM
I am sure there are a few verbs we could think of describing with HMFC nomenclature.

Some **** jambo'd the charity tin.

Lance Armstrong yammed his way to Tour de France victories.

A B2 dropped a GBU-57 and completely Tynecastled the Syrian Presidential Palace.

The Green Goblin
08-11-2015, 01:37 PM

Nobody is being precious. It's just not that common a phrase, or all that funny either, certainly not enough for it to be the basis of a supposedly "positive" article about the club. I'm glad to see people defending the club's name when nonsense like this is written about it. It shows that we are no longer the "soft touches" that the article itself implied we have been in recent years. It's time we stood up for ourselves a bit more, and to do that unapologetically, especially now we have a team and club of which we can and should be proud. We can do that and still keep our sense of humour too. We should be able to laugh at ourselves, I agree, but this feels more like mocking ourselves to me, or joining in with others mocking us, and for that reason it's not something I would ever say.

Iggy Pope
08-11-2015, 02:05 PM
It is a phrase I have now come across twice. Once on reading this thread and once in the car on the way home yesterday when that pseud prick Cosgrove quoted it. He obviously reads the Herald, no surprise there. Peas in a pod and all that.
For a 'journalist' that cut his teeth on the NME, it came as more of a surprise that he thought Maroon 5 (yes, a wee thing about Hibs being the team of the day that was quickly reversed), were a 'ska band'.

Iggy Pope
08-11-2015, 02:08 PM
I am sure there are a few verbs we could think of describing with HMFC nomenclature.

A B2 dropped a GBU-57 and completely Tynecastled the Syrian Presidential Palace.

Magic. Pinched all three of these and I wish I had them on me at a night out last night when dealing with a big smug hertz****.

Iggy Pope
08-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Agree! ... :agree:

In fact some proof that we can still "Hibs it" can be seen on these very forums..... We won... WON! ... Yesterday, and we have a couple of "Hibsed" threads... The match day one and the elephant one... Prime examples! :greengrin

The QPR manager one is another. Wonder who started that?

Hibrandenburg
09-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Did that article originate in a Korean newspaper and the Herald just ran it through Google Translate?

Hibrandenburg
09-11-2015, 06:32 PM

Love it!

The Green Goblin
09-11-2015, 07:09 PM

:not worth:greengrin