PDA

View Full Version : Class of 92

Billy Whizz
05-11-2015, 06:52 PM
2nd part on tonight on BBC 1 at 9pm, did anyone watch the 1st episode last week?
Looking forward to it. Think Salford City are live on BBC 2 tomorrow night in the FA cup against Notts county

superfurryhibby
05-11-2015, 07:06 PM
Good reminder, I enjoyed it. Thought the former Utd guys came across well.

wookie70
05-11-2015, 07:12 PM
I watched it on iPlayer. To be honest I think they came across as similar to some of the mad oligarchs that have destroyed teams higher up the pyramid. They are meant to be owners but have stuck their nose into training and the dressing room, changed the strip colour and also brought in a silent investor. They do sound like they are trying to do their best for the club but not every club can be in the top league and not every supporter wants outside money to bring success.

It may sound weird but I would be gutted to be a Man City fan. Buying your way out of bother has no honour. Its like Daddy picking up the pieces every time the rich kid makes an arse of things. If I was a Salford Fan I would be very wary of their plans.

That all being said it was decent viewing and a very interesting look at non league football.

FromTheCapital
05-11-2015, 07:20 PM
I watched it last week and found it very interesting. Looking forward to watch it again tonight. Thought Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs and the Neville's came across very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stax
05-11-2015, 07:33 PM
2nd part on tonight on BBC 1 at 9pm, did anyone watch the 1st episode last week?
Looking forward to it. Think Salford City are live on BBC 2 tomorrow night in the FA cup against Notts county
My mrs just reminded me its on. She really enjoyed it last week, usually rolls the eyes & moans about anything football related but I agree, good watch.

andy1875
05-11-2015, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the heads up that part 2 is on tonight.

I watched it last week and found it really interesting. Will be fascinating to watch Salford grow, which it looks like they will with the class of 92 on the books, as well as the new investor who was a billionaire if I heard correctly last week now controlling 50% of the club.

United and City better watch their backs for the new kid in town :greengrin

lucky
05-11-2015, 07:44 PM
I watched it on iPlayer. To be honest I think they came across as similar to some of the mad oligarchs that have destroyed teams higher up the pyramid. They are meant to be owners but have stuck their nose into training and the dressing room, changed the strip colour and also brought in a silent investor. They do sound like they are trying to do their best for the club but not every club can be in the top league and not every supporter wants outside money to bring success.

It may sound weird but I would be gutted to be a Man City fan. Buying your way out of bother has no honour. Its like Daddy picking up the pieces every time the rich kid makes an arse of things. If I was a Salford Fan I would be very wary of their plans.

That all being said it was decent viewing and a very interesting look at non league football.

If some mad mega rich sheik or oil man bought Hibs and got us into the latter stages of the CL I would not give a toss.

SteveHFC
05-11-2015, 07:44 PM
Can't wait to watch it again.

wookie70
05-11-2015, 08:09 PM
If some mad mega rich sheik or oil man bought Hibs and got us into the latter stages of the CL I would not give a toss.

That's your prerogative. You would of course have no issue with Hearts or Ranger's rich business men owners and the way they bought success.

I would question where the money came from and what their intentions were. If it was Andy Murray who is clearly a fan I could live with it. If it was someone with no connection to the club who made their money in nefarious ways then I may walk. A football club is about far more than success.

Of course the class of 92 may have some links with Salford but I can't recall anything being said in the first episode.

Sir David Gray
05-11-2015, 08:19 PM
That's your prerogative. You would of course have no issue with Hearts or Ranger's rich business men owners and the way they bought success.

I would question where the money came from and what their intentions were. If it was Andy Murray who is clearly a fan I could live with it. If it was someone with no connection to the club who made their money in nefarious ways then I may walk. A football club is about far more than success.

Of course the class of 92 may have some links with Salford but I can't recall anything being said in the first episode.

Paul Scholes was born in Salford.

iwasthere1972
05-11-2015, 08:28 PM

Watched the first episode last week and have the second episode recorded to watch after I've watched Eastenders. :greengrin Great prog and thoroughly entertaining.

IrnBru22
05-11-2015, 08:35 PM
If they knew it would be a problem with players drinking, why did they have the party on the Thursday and no wait till the Sunday or something.

lucky
05-11-2015, 09:02 PM

Correct but football is all about winning. I clearly mentioned a mega rich businessman not a chancer like Romanov

Tynie01011973
05-11-2015, 09:04 PM
Wonder what Stubbsy would say if Jason Cummings asked to miss a game to go modelling 😱

Sergey
05-11-2015, 09:11 PM
Correct but football is all about winning. I clearly mentioned a mega rich businessman not a chancer like Romanov

Anyone who invests in lower-league/non-league football in England (or any other country) aren't in it to make money. I speak in a position of knowing a lot of Chairmen and dozens of clubs who are living hand-to-mouth.

Money is no guarantee in buying success, but it will help in stability. Crawley are one club that worked their way through the league structure and and now suffering because of overspending. There's little sympathy around the non-league scene if they go skint. I could list a dozen who are trying to do it the right way, and I'm pretty sure that Salford will also tick that box.

I wish them well tomorrow night as there's decent prize-money up for grabs :greengrin

Pete
05-11-2015, 09:22 PM
Good programme. I was rooting for Darlington at the end though.

I hope they, along with Scarborough are the ones to get back to the football league as they seem like clubs with real history and fan bases.

LancashireHibby
05-11-2015, 09:50 PM

I hope they, along with Scarborough are the ones to get back to the football league as they seem like clubs with real history and fan bases.

Darlington and Scarborough clubs have history pretty much in line with The Rangers. Far from the only club along those lines to be fair though.

Sergey
05-11-2015, 10:06 PM

Darlington and Scarborough clubs have history pretty much in line with The Rangers. Far from the only club along those lines to be fair though.

To me, as someone who is involved in non-league, part of the enjoyment is visiting grounds in the boondocks and conversing with 'proper' football fans. The exact same fans that were portrayed in the 92 programme. Another bonus is when you visit quaint little towns that offer more than just the football.

With no disrespect to Darlington and Scarborough, they pale in comparison to the likes of Lewes (East Sussex) - Bognor Regis (Down South on the Coast) - Brackley (Nr Northampton with some decent eateries). These aren't clubs who are ever going to progress through the leagues. Simply surviving is an achievement and passing over my £10 for entry and buying a few pints gives me some sort of comfort that that money is welcomed.

£76 to watch Arsenal when they have zillions in the bank - you can all have that deal. That's not football as I want it.

Danderhall Hibs
05-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Wonder what Stubbsy would say if Jason Cummings asked to miss a game to go modelling 😱

Considering modelling is the boys job I was a bit confused at the reaction from everyone?

If the shouty manager had to drive his lorry overnight he'd miss the game as well.

Baldy Foghorn
05-11-2015, 10:09 PM
Considering modelling is the boys job I was a bit confused at the reaction from everyone?

If the shouty manager had to drive his lorry overnight he'd miss the game as well.

That's a fair point......And £5k is not to be sniffed at either.....

Mr White
06-11-2015, 06:38 AM
Notts County should pump them tonight right?

SeanWilson
06-11-2015, 07:02 AM

Whilst I kind of agree with where you are coming from... The Arabs, the Russians, Chinese etc who have all invested in football clubs have absolutely no right to try and pick football teams/be in a dressing room... However, these guys played at the pinacle of football for decades - I think they have some sort of value to add in a footballing sense - look at the lad who ended up at Man U for instance; that would never have come about had it not been for the interest they had in the playing squad. Thought it was a great little feel good story actually!

pontius pilate
06-11-2015, 07:24 AM
Great programme to watch. After discussions Phil Neville was put in his place by Gary and scholes that they will not interfere in the playing side. They are bringing about subtle changes more for the fact of fan enjoyment rather than trying to change the fabric of the club. Good luck to the class of 92 and good luck to Salford tonight.

easty
06-11-2015, 07:39 AM
Notts County should pump them tonight right?

Aye

Scouse Hibee
06-11-2015, 09:03 AM

To be fair they have not interfered in the dressing room, training or any decisions the manager(s) have made. Fair play to them, it's a great story and I hope they go from strength to strength.

JimBHibees
06-11-2015, 10:33 AM
If they knew it would be a problem with players drinking, why did they have the party on the Thursday and no wait till the Sunday or something.

Indeed lets put on a free bar get all the players and expect them not to drink. Should have been another day.

The management duo and the manager in particular look absolutely nuts.

Treadstone
06-11-2015, 10:46 AM
The management duo and the manager in particular look absolutely nuts.

That was the biggest takeaway from it for me. Can't believe this style is going to work further up the league ladder. The young lad being told he wasn't in the squad was thoroughly humiliating.

Easy to see why Moyes failed at Man U. Phil Nevilles uninspiring chain of cliches for private and professional life devoid of any real emotion or insight.

CropleyWasGod
06-11-2015, 10:58 AM
Scholes was the star for me.

He acts like he did on the pitch. Quiet for the most part, gets on with things, and then.... boom... comes in with something special. No messing.

"Why the **** did we buy a football team?"

SteveHFC
06-11-2015, 11:36 AM
Scholes on and off the pitch is just a class act. Love the guy.

JimBHibees
06-11-2015, 12:32 PM
That was the biggest takeaway from it for me. Can't believe this style is going to work further up the league ladder. The young lad being told he wasn't in the squad was thoroughly humiliating.

Easy to see why Moyes failed at Man U. Phil Nevilles uninspiring chain of cliches for private and professional life devoid of any real emotion or insight.

Agree seemed a nice kid also, I know it was a tv programme but unnecessary for that to be done on camera. Should have been done at the training session previously off camera. Hysterical also that the young talented kid couldnt get a game yet was being offered a deal at Man U.

SteveHFC
06-11-2015, 01:31 PM
Agree seemed a nice kid also, I know it was a tv programme but unnecessary for that to be done on camera. Should have been done at the training session previously off camera. Hysterical also that the young talented kid couldnt get a game yet was being offered a deal at Man U.

The same kid since he signed for Utd has had 3 caps for Libya.

LancashireHibby
06-11-2015, 01:39 PM
To me, as someone who is involved in non-league, part of the enjoyment is visiting grounds in the boondocks and conversing with 'proper' football fans. The exact same fans that were portrayed in the 92 programme. Another bonus is when you visit quaint little towns that offer more than just the football.

With no disrespect to Darlington and Scarborough, they pale in comparison to the likes of Lewes (East Sussex) - Bognor Regis (Down South on the Coast) - Brackley (Nr Northampton with some decent eateries). These aren't clubs who are ever going to progress through the leagues. Simply surviving is an achievement and passing over my £10 for entry and buying a few pints gives me some sort of comfort that that money is welcomed.

£76 to watch Arsenal when they have zillions in the bank - you can all have that deal. That's not football as I want it.
Won't find any disagreement from me. These days I don't have too much involvement in non-league other than watching Atherton Collieries most weeks in the North West Counties League and doing the odd match report for them, but a few years ago I was on the committee of a club at the same level as Salford so much of it does ring true, plus I've managed to name every ground featured so far!

3pm
06-11-2015, 01:51 PM
Butcher and Malpas in charge by the look of it.

And good chunks of it staged!

Andy74
06-11-2015, 02:28 PM

I don't think the story was quite as it showed on the programme. The local paper had a bit about it and I think they knew right away what they had. His bleep test results were great. Says Scholes and Neville then played him in their one game in interim charge and they saw within 30 mins he was way too good for them. They then set up his trial. Whole thing was 3 weeks from him contacting Salford for a game to then signing for United.

greenlex
06-11-2015, 06:48 PM
Salford city v Notts County FA Cup tie coming up on BBC2

Billy Whizz
06-11-2015, 06:50 PM

Thanks, forgot about this

Pretty Boy
06-11-2015, 06:51 PM

How bad are the floodlights? It's pitch black.

greenlex
06-11-2015, 06:52 PM
How bad are the floodlights? It's pitch black.

Might get the cars round the park to help.

Hibby Bairn
06-11-2015, 06:59 PM
A bit bobbly 👍

Pretty Boy
06-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Salford giving a decent account of themselves here so far.

lord bunberry
06-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Salford are playing well.

greenlex
06-11-2015, 07:23 PM
I'm sorry Janus ya slaver that first tackle was a shocker. Over the ball and down the shin.

Sergey
06-11-2015, 07:27 PM
I'm sorry Janus ya slaver that first tackle was a shocker. Over the ball and down the shin.

And the player got straight back up and got on with the game. Ne feigning injury or berating the ref at this level.

greenlex
06-11-2015, 07:29 PM
And the player got straight back up and got on with the game. Ne feigning injury or berating the ref at this level.

True that.

lord bunberry
06-11-2015, 07:31 PM
What happened to the guy that was scoring all the goals for them last season?

Carheenlea
06-11-2015, 07:32 PM
I`ve yet to see the programme, and will catch up in due course, but this is the first game of football I`ve watched on the telly at home for a long time. Think the last one I watched was Hearts getting bombed out of Cup Semi at ER by Inverness, so this one might not have as many laughs.

Sergey
06-11-2015, 07:33 PM
True that.

And that hoof makes it 3 balls out the ground :aok:

Money changes hands with this market, which is a great sideshow to the match.

Statto Alert: 19 BOTG is the record at Canvey Island on a night when it was hard to stand up because of the wind :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
06-11-2015, 07:33 PM

Or even diving. :greengrin

Liam89
06-11-2015, 07:34 PM

Injured.

greenlex
06-11-2015, 07:34 PM
And that hoof makes it 3 balls out the ground :aok:

Money changes hands with this market, which is a great sideshow to the match.

Statto Alert: 19 BOTG is the record at Canvey Island on a night when it was hard to stand up because of the wind :greengrin
That's a lot of cash blown away.

greenlex
06-11-2015, 07:37 PM
Has Alan Smith touched the ball yet?

lord bunberry
06-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Injured.
Cheers, I thought he might have been away modelling again :greengrin

Pretty Boy
06-11-2015, 07:42 PM
The players could be hacking off each others limbs with machetes here and Jenas would be telling everyone it's 'not a foul that'.

greenlex
06-11-2015, 07:45 PM
The players could be hacking off each others limbs with machetes here and Jenas would be telling everyone it's 'not a foul that'.

Aye. Ironically the boy gets a yellow there for nothing.

Sergey
06-11-2015, 07:45 PM
That's a lot of cash blown away.

They were recoverable from 3 sides of the ground, but behind one goal is the sea defence wall (Canvey Island is below sea-level) and those that went out that side end up in the Thames Estuary.

Probably washed-up in some far-off land with CIFC stamped on them.

greenlex
06-11-2015, 07:46 PM
They were recoverable from 3 sides of the ground, but behind one goal is the sea defence wall (Canvey Island is below sea-level) and those that went out that side end up in the Thames Estuary.

Probably washed-up in some far-off land with CIFC stamped on them.
😄 a bit like Dumbarton .

LancashireHibby
06-11-2015, 07:58 PM

Seddon is still with them but injured.

Pretty Boy
06-11-2015, 08:00 PM
1-0 Salford, 20 seconds into the 2nd half. Well deserved.

HH81
06-11-2015, 08:00 PM
1-0. Salford

Sergey
06-11-2015, 08:04 PM
That's #4 out the ground :greengrin

IrnBru22
06-11-2015, 08:05 PM

He shouted "get innnn!!!" After Salford scored

lord bunberry
06-11-2015, 08:07 PM
You can still get 4/5 for Salford

Pretty Boy
06-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Almost, and probably should have been 2. Hit the bar.

Sergey
06-11-2015, 08:13 PM
Salford are certainly doing the Pub Leagues of Step 7 in England proud :aok:

greenlex
06-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Salford are certainly doing the Pub Leagues of Step 7 in England proud :aok:

Yup if you didn't know you would wonder who was who. I am worried about fitness this last half hour or so tho.

bingo70
06-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Is Salford a similar standard to where Jamie insall was playing when we signed him?

greenlex
06-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Is Salford a similar standard to where Jamie insall was playing when we signed him?

I think Stourbridge are a level higher. Maybe 2

greenlex
06-11-2015, 08:27 PM
What a goal son. Tremendous.

Pretty Boy
2-0. Players subbed in for the scorer of the 1st scores the 2nd

lord bunberry
2-0 what a goal.

MKHIBEE
06-11-2015, 08:28 PM
Both Salford and Stourbridge are level 7

Sergey
06-11-2015, 08:29 PM
I think Stourbridge are a level higher. Maybe 2

Same level this season, A.

What a goal :thumbsup:

Would you back Alloa or Livi over 2 legs against Salford :greengrin

greenlex
06-11-2015, 08:31 PM

Certainly wouldn't Sergey.

Stax
06-11-2015, 08:32 PM
Cracking bit of skill, all aboard the showboat :greengrin

HH81
06-11-2015, 08:32 PM

No. This is the magic of the fa cup. Livi would beat them over two legs.

iwasthere1972
06-11-2015, 08:36 PM
Whose managing Notts County? Butcher?

They're rank.

NAE NOOKIE
07-11-2015, 12:59 PM

Dunno about Salford, I would back them over 2 legs against County ... ye gods they were poor, 15th in league 2 and lucky to be that if that was anything to go by.

As for the class of 92 ... They do seem keen to keep out of the management of the team, which I like, and they seem to appreciate the volunteers who keep the club going.

But if you ask me they have made a huge mistake changing the clubs colours and not just because of the tradition side of things, plenty of clubs have changed colours successfully over the years, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Leeds Utd spring to mind. But their stated ambition is to eventually get this club into the upper reaches of English football, with a 25,000 stadium and a support to fill it.

Why then change the clubs colours to red & white? .... the same colours as a giant of world football a few miles down the road. Surely a Mancunian wanting to be identified as a Salford fan would want to be easily identified as such, if you walk through Manchester or Salford with a red & white scarf on who are folk gonna think you support?

I never wear a simple Green & white scarf around here, because like it or not, folk automatically think you are a Celtic fan. It would be just as bad in Lancashire with a red & white scarf on, folk are automatically gonna think you support Utd or Liverpool, no matter how far Salford progress up the leagues or how big their support grows. Anyway, English football is awash with clubs who play in red & white, its not exactly very imaginative is it?

They would have been better keeping the clubs original Orange ... with only Tangerine clad Blackpool to be confused with, or even better changed the clubs colours to Green & white ... Only two top flight English clubs use those colours and they are both hundreds of miles away.

No .... If you want this club to grow a support give it a distinct and easily identifiable identity, if you don't you make the job twice as hard IMO.

Scouse Hibee
07-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Dunno about Salford, I would back them over 2 legs against County ... ye gods they were poor, 15th in league 2 and lucky to be that if that was anything to go by.

As for the class of 92 ... They do seem keen to keep out of the management of the team, which I like, and they seem to appreciate the volunteers who keep the club going.

But if you ask me they have made a huge mistake changing the clubs colours and not just because of the tradition side of things, plenty of clubs have changed colours successfully over the years, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Leeds Utd spring to mind. But their stated ambition is to eventually get this club into the upper reaches of English football, with a 25,000 stadium and a support to fill it.

Why then change the clubs colours to red & white? .... the same colours as a giant of world football a few miles down the road. Surely a Mancunian wanting to be identified as a Salford fan would want to be easily identified as such, if you walk through Manchester or Salford with a red & white scarf on who are folk gonna think you support?

I never wear a simple Green & white scarf around here, because like it or not, folk automatically think you are a Celtic fan. It would be just as bad in Lancashire with a red & white scarf on, folk are automatically gonna think you support Utd or Liverpool, no matter how far Salford progress up the leagues or how big their support grows. Anyway, English football is awash with clubs who play in red & white, its not exactly very imaginative is it?

They would have been better keeping the clubs original Orange ... with only Tangerine clad Blackpool to be confused with, or even better changed the clubs colours to Green & white ... Only two top flight English clubs use those colours and they are both hundreds of miles away.

No .... If you want this club to grow a support give it a distinct and easily identifiable identity, if you don't you make the job twice as hard IMO.

Who really cares what other people think? You know the team you support, that's all that matters. Wear your colours with oride and never mind anyone elses confusion is my ethos.

NAE NOOKIE
07-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Who really cares what other people think? You know the team you support, that's all that matters. Wear your colours with oride and never mind anyone elses confusion is my ethos.

I do mate, but not at the expense of having folk think the Borders has yet another glory hunting smelly in the ranks. The day of the 2013 cup semi final I was coming out of the shop near my house with my Hibs top on and a woman going in asked me who Celtic were playing today. You can see what I'm up against :confused:

Scouse Hibee
07-11-2015, 05:54 PM
I do mate, but not at the expense of having folk think the Borders has yet another glory hunting smelly in the ranks. The day of the 2013 cup semi final I was coming out of the shop near my house with my Hibs top on and a woman going in asked me who Celtic were playing today. You can see what I'm up against :confused:

Haha you may have a point then :-)