PDA

View Full Version : Allan v McGinn

Dashing Bob S
03-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Scott Allan is a marvelously talented player, and one of the best passers of a ball I've seen at ER, but I wouldn't swap him for McGinn, who is the more effective player, and certainly better for us at the moment.

I think SA made a bad move staying in Scottish football and he could now stagnate and spend his best days bench warming, with the confidence downswing that brings. I can see him needing another Stubbs resurrection figure in a couple of years if he's to salvage things. McGinn, I believe, will go on to be the more successful of the two.

ben johnson
03-11-2015, 03:42 PM
Scott Allan is a marvelously talented player, and one of the best passers of a ball I've seen at ER, but I wouldn't swap him for McGinn, who is the more effective player, and certainly better for us at the moment.

I think SA made a bad move staying in Scottish football and he could now stagnate and spend his best days bench warming, with the confidence downswing that brings. I can see him needing another Stubbs resurrection figure in a couple of years if he's to salvage things. McGinn, I believe, will go on to be the more successful of the two.

McGinn for me all day long. Outstanding against that mob on Sunday and enjoyed his pure commitment throughout the game and his delight at the final whistle. Outstanding long range passer as well. Looking forward to him continuing the good work through Paisley way on Saturday.

CapitalGreen
03-11-2015, 03:46 PM
John McGinn has played 111 professional games, mostly in the Scottish top tier, has captained Scotland under 21s and has a League Cup winners medal. He has just turned 21.

Scott Allan has played 94 professional games, mostly in the English 3rd tier/Scottish 2nd tier. He turns 24 in 3 weeks.

I'd say McGinn is already the more successful of the two.

Brightside
03-11-2015, 03:48 PM
Who's Scott Allan?

Monts
03-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Who's Scott Allan?

Hes one of their own

easty
03-11-2015, 03:58 PM
Scott Allan was the best player in our division last season by far, he's nae worse a player now he's moved on, and if we still had him he'd still be a great member of the squad (in terms of ability at least).

McGinn is a lot more competitive and that's perhaps what we need to get results in this league.

Comparing two different styles of player is pointless, but this Hibs team compared to last seasons Hibs team is, in my opinion, better.

TheFamous1875
03-11-2015, 03:59 PM
John McGinn has played 111 professional games, mostly in the Scottish top tier, has captained Scotland under 21s and has a League Cup winners medal. He has just turned 21.

Scott Allan has played 94 professional games, mostly in the English 3rd tier/Scottish 2nd tier. He turns 24 in 3 weeks.

I'd say McGinn is already the more successful of the two.

Spot on. Scott Allan is a joke. He should've appreciated what our club had done for him and gladly served the green and white. Instead, he fell for the dulcet tones of those walking plooks we saw unwittingly offending war heroes and Nazis in the same breath at ours on Sunday. At least they all got what they wanted in the end, eh? Some consolation prize that no mark John McGinn is, eh? :cb

Big_Franck
03-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Comparing Allan and McGinn is difficult as they are so different. If we were offered to swap them now though i'd stick with McGinn. He'll score more goals, he's stronger and more competitive and his set pieces are far better than Allan's were.

The deal we got for Allan wasn't really made clear at the time, but my understanding of it was that we got Henderson for a year on loan, McGeouch on a 3 year deal plus money. We may well have got enough money to cover the 100k fee for McGinn. If we did and we basically swapped Allan for those three I think we are far better off now.

lucky
03-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Both good players McGinn is energetic and full off effort and skill but Scott Allan is player that changes games therefore imho I'd rather have SA.

Golden Bear
03-11-2015, 04:31 PM
Mcginn's the man.

He's marginally a better all round football player but he certainly has a better attitude.

In short, a great bit of business for Hibernian FC.

.Sean.
03-11-2015, 04:33 PM
McGinn every day of the week, what a player.

Scott Allan, how are the splinters :giruy2:

J-C
03-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Different types of players, one a deep playmaker, the other box2box, Stubbs interview on Sportsound said it all, he mentioned that last season we relied too heavily upon Allan but this season the team has a better balance about it, so taking that into account McGinn is the better player for the team.

iwasthere1972
03-11-2015, 04:37 PM
McGinn for me. More committed and unlike the other guy won't be looking for a move to the Huns.

Great player.

erin go bragh
03-11-2015, 04:43 PM
McGinn is a great team player .Allan was a great individual player .

GGTTH

GGTTH07
03-11-2015, 04:47 PM
Allan is a better player, for me, I'm not going to lie. But McGinn suits our team more and is someone we needed, I feel, more than Allan.

scoopyboy
03-11-2015, 05:33 PM
McGinn for me. He is improving all the time and IMO there is no chance he will see his four year contract out.

He will be sold for far more than Scott Allan ever was.

lord bunberry
03-11-2015, 05:36 PM
Allan is a better player, for me, I'm not going to lie. But McGinn suits our team more and is someone we needed, I feel, more than Allan.

That's how I see it as well.

Heisenberg
03-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Who would I rather have in the side? McGinn all day long. We're a better team this year and he's been a major part of that.

Chip shop Joe
03-11-2015, 06:35 PM
McGinn is a great team player .Allan was a great individual player .

GGTTH

Think you have hit the nail on the head. McGinn is an excellent player who brings things to the team that SA didn't but IMHO Allan was/is a more talented player.

Again in my opinion if McGinn goes on to have a better career than SA as is probable, it is more down to the attitude of SA than McGinn being better.

Jones28
03-11-2015, 06:50 PM
I saw Scott Allan 4 times last season and wasn't really that impressed. His ability is evident but he wasn't a team player. McGinn is, and he was terrific on Sunday. He had a wee turn towards the end of the game which was pure class 👌

Booked4Being-Ugly
03-11-2015, 06:52 PM
I was gutted to loose Scott Allan but McGinn is a far better all round player for me, what a signing.

:hibees

B.H.F.C
03-11-2015, 06:55 PM
I was worried when we lost Allan but we are a better all round team now. And a big part of that is because of McGinn.

Smartie
03-11-2015, 08:07 PM
I was gutted when we lost Allan. I really thought that he was the real deal, I enjoyed watching him play more than any other Hibs player in recent years and given his importance to the way we played I thought his loss was very significant.

However, the fact that Hibs managed to

1. Not sell him to The Rangers, and

2. Seal a deal whereby we got Liam Henderson for the season (the amount of time that was remaining on Allan's contract anyway) Dylan McGeoch permanently and the money to be used on the purchase of McGinn was nothing short of miraculous.

The club - whoever managed to make this happen and whichever way they managed it - deserve massive credit for this.

Comparing Allan and McGinn is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Allan was a superb player but McGinn is excellent in his own way. And most importantly - he actually wants to play for us.

Smartie
03-11-2015, 08:09 PM
McGinn for me. More committed and unlike the other guy won't be looking for a move to the Huns.

Great player.

I do think there is a club in Glasgow that McGinn would crawl over broken glass the length of the M8 to play for though.

lyonhibs
03-11-2015, 08:27 PM
Allan is sitting with splinters in his arse, McGinn is a key first team player.

No brainer for me. McGinn is the better player

EVENTUALLY
03-11-2015, 08:49 PM
We had both of them very briefly and its a pity we did not get to see them compliment each other in what would have been a very dynamic midfield. Allan is the type of player I love to watch and I am in no doubt that once he gets into the Celtic side he will be a permanent fixture. Thing is I can see a time when they will be in the same team as McGinn will have Celtic chasing him as well very soon. Allan for me though.

DH1875
03-11-2015, 08:58 PM
I do think there is a club in Glasgow that McGinn would crawl over broken glass the length of the M8 to play for though.

Celtic manager was at the game on Sunday. Wonder how long it'll be before they are linked with him.

green day
03-11-2015, 09:05 PM
Celtic manager was at the game on Sunday. Wonder how long it'll be before they are linked with him.

It's happening already.

What's important though is that - following the Scott Allan saga, it is very clear that we won't be railroaded by anyone (esp the media).

McGinn will move on at some point, but not now, and not until and unless the money and circumstances are right for us.

Nevi_SOL
03-11-2015, 09:37 PM
It's happening already.

What's important though is that - following the Scott Allan saga, it is very clear that we won't be railroaded by anyone (esp the media).

McGinn will move on at some point, but not now, and not until and unless the money and circumstances are right for us.

I think mcginn is someone with his head screwed on and will go down south or abroad.

Shrekko
03-11-2015, 10:06 PM
I think mcginn is someone with his head screwed on and will go down south or abroad.
I doubt if Celtic came calling that he'd want to go anywhere else but hopefully it's not an issue for a while.

As for the original question, it's not even close. McGinn has much more to his game than Allan who I enjoyed watching but felt often flattered to deceive.

How we managed to snare McGinn I will quite frankly never know- but I'm not complaining. He can't possibly play another season at this level so we better get promoted!

anon1875
03-11-2015, 10:54 PM
how many of these threads will there be i wonder. like both players, both have good quality and have played well for hibs.

Godsahibby
03-11-2015, 11:45 PM
McGinn looks to have the best qualities of Broony and Thomson rolled into one player. He has it all, strong, quick feet can pass can take like great dig on him. His Marradona turn on Sunday was class. He will go far in the game.

matty_f
04-11-2015, 12:09 AM
McGinn is more effective, more often. Allan is a cracking player but when he wasn't on the ball he didn't do much. McGinn sets the tone for the rest of the team, he's a great signing.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-11-2015, 12:27 AM
McGinn is on the way up and wants to learn and Allan is on the way down and gives the impression that he knows it all. When we signed Allan, my Arab acquaintances said we had a good player, but just wait and see what happens . Don't see that for McGinn

Mikey09
04-11-2015, 12:50 AM
We'll sell McGinn to Celtic in a year for £1million... Plus Scotty Allan!! :greengrin

--------
04-11-2015, 01:17 AM
Comparing Allan and McGinn is difficult as they are so different. If we were offered to swap them now though i'd stick with McGinn. He'll score more goals, he's stronger and more competitive and his set pieces are far better than Allan's were.

The deal we got for Allan wasn't really made clear at the time, but my understanding of it was that we got Henderson for a year on loan, McGeouch on a 3 year deal plus money. We may well have got enough money to cover the 100k fee for McGinn. If we did and we basically swapped Allan for those three I think we are far better off now.

That was my understanding at the time as well, and if that was the deal it's the best bit of business we've done transfer-wise in years.

Scott Allan's a very good player, but I was most impressed by McGinn on Sunday - he really looked the part in every way - and on that basis I'd not exchange him for Allan in any circumstances.

Forza Fred
04-11-2015, 02:17 AM
Scott Allan is a talented ball player but does not tick the required boxes to make him as effective as McGinn.

I hesitate to use the term a 'luxury' player, but these days adaptability is the key, especially in Scotland.

I am happy that McGinn is playing for us rather than Scott Allan.

I also think he will struggle for game time at Celtic as our Aussie Tom Rogic is a similar player, but has a few more arrows to his bow than Scott.

Greencore
04-11-2015, 02:33 AM
Mcginn likes to play football. Allan likes to spend the money he gets from Celtic sitting on his arse. I don't actually believe it was all Allan, probably was mind you but these agents. His agent pushed the deal through. Allan got swallowed by money. No way will he be a regular in that Celtic team. Good luck to him though he will really need it.

Libby Hibby
04-11-2015, 06:06 AM
Both are cracking players...Allan was more of an individual talent and was often passing the ball to space where he thought players should be and moves very often broke down...McGinn has drive, tenacity and leadership qualities, he can grab a game by the scruff of its neck and produce an individual performance that no only inspires his team mates to play well but brings them into the game...both great players for Hibs but McGinn hands down as he is better for the team as a whole

JimBHibees
04-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Mcginn likes to play football. Allan likes to spend the money he gets from Celtic sitting on his arse. I don't actually believe it was all Allan, probably was mind you but these agents. His agent pushed the deal through. Allan got swallowed by money. No way will he be a regular in that Celtic team. Good luck to him though he will really need it.

However what he will be able to say if his career at Celtic doesnt work out at least I gave it a shotand the wife and the bank manager are happy and I am young enough to go and play elsewhere also.

GreenOnions
04-11-2015, 09:41 AM
We'll sell McGinn to Celtic in a year for £1million... Plus Scotty Allan!! :greengrin

Whilst I loved watching Scott Allan play for us I would hope sincerely that we have McGinn for a fair bit longer than another year!

offshorehibby
04-11-2015, 11:41 AM
It's a hard question.

I can remember in August getting shot down in flames that we could be a better team without SA, ' How can we be a better team without the best player in the league' was the cry.

SA is probably a technically more gifted player McGinn is a great player who who gives us far much more overall. Mcginn will go on to be a great player for Hibs and probably make us a large sum of money but lets hope that's not to soon.

McGinn for me.

calumhibee1
04-11-2015, 11:47 AM
Allan is a better technical football player. McGinn is still however a very competent technical football player, and physically is streets ahead of Allan. McGinn showed on Sunday he has the ability to absolutely dominate games where as Scott Allan would maybe have 3 or 4 moments of magic (which is great in its own way) in his great games, rather than actually running the show. Would love to still have them both but I'd choose McGinn over Allan.

WeeRussell
04-11-2015, 01:28 PM
Really like McGinn and yet another very good signing from Stubbs.

However, I don't think so many on this thread would be claiming he's a "better player" than Allan, had the latter not been such a knob at the start of this season.

I would still rather the whole thing didn't happen with Allan, and he was still playing well with us (ideally alongside McGinn :) )... as current circumstances would have it - I don't think we've done too badly.

:flag:

highland hibbee
04-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Think McGinn is a far better team player, and therefore he gets the nod from me. Allan's tainted departure has obviously scunnered many of us, however for his performance against the Huns, and leaving Iain Black greeting on his arse and chasing shadows, until his early substitution, I for one will always hold a degree of respect. One of my best derby memories ( and I was at the 7-0) to see that little turd looking just like the wee scrote he is.