PDA

View Full Version : Michael O'Neill

ekhibee
03-11-2015, 11:11 AM
Was just listening to Radio Scotland and Michael O'Neill (the NI manager) was talking about how he was interviewed for the Hibs job in 2011, but didn't get it because of rumours that he was a heavy drinker, rumours he said that were totally untrue. He was saying how they were in discussions with him for 5 hours and that when they got back to him he got the shock of his life when he was told he hadn't got it. Really good player for Hibs too. Great to have Stubbs here, I wouldn't have it any other way, but it sounds like O'Neill got a raw deal back then. Thoughts? (Apologies if this has already been mentioned in another thread)

givescotlandfreedom
03-11-2015, 11:21 AM
Was just listening to Radio Scotland and Michael O'Neill (the NI manager) was talking about how he was interviewed for the Hibs job in 2011, but didn't get it because of rumours that he was a heavy drinker, rumours he said that were totally untrue. He was saying how they were in discussions with him for 5 hours and that when they got back to him he got the shock of his life when he was told he hadn't got it. Really good player for Hibs too. Great to have Stubbs here, I wouldn't have it any other way, but it sounds like O'Neill got a raw deal back then. Thoughts? (Apologies if this has already been mentioned in another thread)

I remember hearing rumours (probably on here) another candidate was behind them.

offshorehibby
03-11-2015, 11:23 AM
I've heard that bit on radio Scotland this morning, i think he was gutted at not getting the Hibs job and can remember the rumors doing the rounds at the time.
I was thinking when NI qualified a couple of weeks back, did we miss a trick not appointing Michael O'Neill.

I enjoyed Stubbs interview on the radio last night and noticed O'Neill has an extended interview tonight. He always has good things to say about Hibs.

Col2
03-11-2015, 11:58 AM
I take it we went for Fenlon instead then? Another great decision back in the bad old days. No doubt O'Neil has done a great job as NI boss. I like his open and honest style and he talks warmly about Hibs unlike clowns like Billy Dodds.

NAE NOOKIE
03-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Given who we ended up appointing I would have given him the job even if he had staggered into the boardroom, puked into the replica of the Scottish cup, hugged Petrie and slurred 'Oim gonna' make the Hibsh great again' before staggering onto the pitch taking a **** in the centre circle and falling asleep in the dugout. :aok:

MY minds a bit hazy .... if that wasn't Calderwood I take this back : - )

fat freddy
03-11-2015, 12:08 PM
The funny thing is both Fenlon and O'Neil drank in the same pub in Morningside after Pat got the job and I know who the more frequent regular was.... The one that got the job

NadeAteMyLunch!
03-11-2015, 12:25 PM
Petrie-unsurprisingly-picked the wrong Irishman [emoji35]

Big_Franck
03-11-2015, 12:32 PM
The funny thing is both Fenlon and O'Neil drank in the same pub in Morningside after Pat got the job and I know who the more frequent regular was.... The one that got the job

That the morningside glory? Seen Pat in there a good few times.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing but maybe we wouldn't be in the championship if we'd appointed O'Neill. I like him and he always seems to come across well. Maybe the board were a bit wary of giving it to O'Neill as if he'd flopped they'd have been criticised for going for the easy option of yet another ex-player. Who knows, but we certainly can't complain with the man we have in charge now.

renato
03-11-2015, 12:38 PM
I remember hearing rumours (probably on here) another candidate was behind them.

Was it not Frazerbob, who's mate knew Mo'N really well, who gave us an early heads up that we were in discussions, prior to it hitting the press? I also remember a post confirming the drinking rumours that allegedly scuppered the deal, with question marks over how the rumour surfaced.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it's unfortunate we didn't go with Mo'N, given his incredible success with NI

SlickShoes
03-11-2015, 12:51 PM
Crazy if true, he was my favourite player when I was a kid in the 90's, seems like a good guy now as well. Hopefully he has a good managerial career and our paths cross again one day.

Not In The Know
03-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Another example of the great stewardship from the shrewd operator Petrie!

Ozyhibby
03-11-2015, 01:17 PM
I honestly don't think it matters and that Michael O'Neil had a lucky escape. The way Petrie was running the club at the time was setting whoever came in up for failure.
Most of our recent managers who failed at Hibs have went on to do well elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peevemor
03-11-2015, 01:18 PM
I honestly don't think it matters and that Michael O'Neil had a lucky escape. The way Petrie was running the club at the time was setting whoever came in up for failure.
Most of our recent managers who failed at Hibs have went on to do well elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In what respect?

J-C
03-11-2015, 01:20 PM
Was there not a rumour that Fenlons side kick was behind the stories.

bigwheel
03-11-2015, 01:33 PM
He does have a drinker's "look" about him...hope not though - horrible addiction that....

brog
03-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Michael is a great guy & he certainly retains great affection for Hibs. It's not that surprising given he played more games & scored more goals for us than for any other club. He maybe dodged a bullet with us though. IIRC his early record with NI was awful, something like 1 win out of 20 & I think they lost or drew with Luxembourg. Our support & our owners would have been unlikely to have the faith that NI showed in him.

PatHead
03-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Michael is a great guy & he certainly retains great affection for Hibs. It's not that surprising given he played more games & scored more goals for us than for any other club. He maybe dodged a bullet with us though. IIRC his early record with NI was awful, something like 1 win out of 20 & I think they lost or drew with Luxembourg. Our support & our owners would have been unlikely to have the faith that NI showed in him.

That was my thought as well. The simple answer is we will never know and need to move on.

Very happy with the management team just now. Sure I heard a comment on Radio Scotland that said Stubbs was quoted as saying he would not have taken the job if he knew the mess we were in when he arrived.

brog
03-11-2015, 02:39 PM
[/B]

That was my thought as well. The simple answer is we will never know and need to move on.

Very happy with the management team just now. Sure I heard a comment on Radio Scotland that said Stubbs was quoted as saying he would not have taken the job if he knew the mess we were in when he arrived.

You're correct about the last sentence. Along with 2 other Hibs fans I was at Hoylake for The Open last year & met John Doolans best mate. He told us they were horrified at the low morale etc & the fact we didn't even have a keeper. Against that he said they loved the club & it only made them more determined to turn everything around. JD seems like a good guy & I think the whole management team have created a great working environment.

jacomo
03-11-2015, 02:40 PM

After seeing what he's achieved with NI, Hibs made a huge mistake here.

He'd have got us going again, I'm pretty sure of that.

However, he has now achieved something wonderful with NI, and we've got a bright young coach. We move on!

schinkenotto
03-11-2015, 03:07 PM
Michael is a genuine guy with a real affection and respect for Hibs and their tradtions.He attended Douglas Cromb's funeral with Alex Miller and other former players from that time.

offshorehibby
03-11-2015, 03:18 PM
I've always liked Michael O'Neill as a player and a manager. He was my preference as manager when PF got it but as a young manager would he have been able to turn us round considering how bad the club were by the time AS took over. So i'm maybe glad in a way he did not take over then it might have ruined his career.

He's been lucky with NI who have given him a lot of time to get it right, as someone said his early results were disastrous.

If he has a good Euro who know's where that could land him.

lord bunberry
03-11-2015, 03:47 PM
If he wasn't a drinker a couple of months in the hibs job would've driven him to it.

BoomtownHibees
03-11-2015, 04:13 PM

I remember speaking to him after the racing down at Musselburgh and he told me about his interview with Rod and how long it had lasted. The next time he visited ER Petrie had to ask who he was.

Jim44
03-11-2015, 04:55 PM

I knew about the rumour situation at the time of the Hibs job in 2011 but I got the impression that the present story relates to current rumours about heavy drinking which O'Neill is unhappy about.

SuperAllyMcleod
03-11-2015, 06:18 PM
I've always liked Michael O'Neill as a player and a manager. He was my preference as manager when PF got it but as a young manager would he have been able to turn us round considering how bad the club were by the time AS took over. So i'm maybe glad in a way he did not take over then it might have ruined his career.

He's been lucky with NI who have given him a lot of time to get it right, as someone said his early results were disastrous.

If he has a good Euro who know's where that could land him.

He may have been given time by NI but did he not get that job on the back of taking Shamrock Rovers to the group stages of the Europa League?

If Stubbs continues on an upward trajectory with Hibs it won't be long before the vultures start to circle - when that happens I'd like to think that O'Neil would be given an opportunity to take over.

Pretty Boy
03-11-2015, 06:25 PM
He may have been given time by NI but did he not get that job on the back of taking Shamrock Rovers to the group stages of the Europa League?

If Stubbs continues on an upward trajectory with Hibs it won't be long before the vultures start to circle - when that happens I'd like to think that O'Neil would be given an opportunity to take over.

Sadly I think O'Neill will have bigger clubs than Hibs after him when he departs Windsor Park.

Lawrie Sanchez got a Premier League job having achieved far less with NI than O'Neill has

Billy Whizz
03-11-2015, 06:32 PM
His interview is coming on sportsound soon

Andy74
03-11-2015, 06:49 PM
If his Hibs start would have been anything like his start at Ireland then we'd have got him sacked soon enough anyway!

Frazerbob
03-11-2015, 07:18 PM
Was it not Frazerbob, who's mate knew Mo'N really well, who gave us an early heads up that we were in discussions, prior to it hitting the press? I also remember a post confirming the drinking rumours that allegedly scuppered the deal, with question marks over how the rumour surfaced.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it's unfortunate we didn't go with Mo'N, given his incredible success with NI

Indeed it was. In his interview there he confirmed almost word for word what I was told (and posted on the PM board at the time) Right down the commuting to Dublin line and Geoff Brown giving MON the heads up.

Still gutted as I stood to win a few grand if he got the job.....and if course he would have done a far better job than the devious wee **** who got the gig.

Billy Whizz
03-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Indeed it was. In his interview there he confirmed almost word for word what I was told (and posted on the PM board). Right down the commuting to Dublin line and Geoff Brown giving MON the heads up.

Still gutted as I stood to win a few grand if he gig the job.....and if course he would have done a fad better job than the devious wee **** gnat got the gig.

Who was the senior figure in Scottish football who said he had a drink problem. If you don't want to put it on the board, you can pm me

Frazerbob
03-11-2015, 07:21 PM
He does have a drinker's "look" about him...hope not though - horrible addiction that....

I was on a night out with him in Dublin after Scotland played Wales in the Carling Cup a few years ago. I can assure you he is no bevvy merchant. He was steaming after about 3 pints, total light weight!

Frazerbob
03-11-2015, 07:22 PM
Who was the senior figure in Scottish football who said he had a drink problem. If you don't want to put it on the board, you can pm me

I don't know the name but it came from an agent who had a few players at St Johnston and Dundee Utd and coincidently was Fenlon's advisor. IIRC at the time Stephen Thomson was being implicated in some way but don't quote me lol

jacomo
03-11-2015, 07:33 PM
If his Hibs start would have been anything like his start at Ireland then we'd have got him sacked soon enough anyway!

Someone's already made that point, Mr Misery.

Colr
03-11-2015, 08:30 PM
I liked watching him play. He was fast and good at beating defenders. I seem to recall he got injured badly and was not quite so keen to run at defenders after that.

Andy74
03-11-2015, 08:41 PM
Indeed it was. In his interview there he confirmed almost word for word what I was told (and posted on the PM board). Right down the commuting to Dublin line and Geoff Brown giving MON the heads up.

Still gutted as I stood to win a few grand if he gig the job.....and if course he would have done a fad better job than the devious wee **** gnat got the gig.

Want to explain those comments on Fenlon who seemed to be nothing but a decent guy who was always respectful of Hibs?

As for doing a better job. Who knows? We were in real danger of relegation. That might have happened if his start with Ireland was anything to go by.

How much better would we have been? Scottish Cup winners? Easily top six? Both?

stantonhibby
03-11-2015, 08:43 PM
I liked watching him play. He was fast and good at beating defenders. I seem to recall he got injured badly and was not quite so keen to run at defenders after that.

I recall one midweek game against Raith I think where McAllister and O'Neill scored fantastic goals...McAllister was seemingly near the corner flag surrounded by defenders and got away raced into the box keeper saved the shot and he slotted in the rebound. O'Neill's goal was a sublime chip from the edge of the box. Both goals at the FF stand end. Can anyone else remember that game or did I dream it?

Smartie
03-11-2015, 08:51 PM
O'Neill was a brilliant player.

I remember there being an article about him in "Shoot" when I was a kid. He had played a handful of games for the Newcastle first team and was considered to be one to watch.

He went to Dundee United and eventually wound up with is. It wasn't such a downward trajectory to play for us or United after having been at a big English team in those days.

He was a very intelligent and excellent technical player. He scored some cracking goals for us - there was a sublime volley after a great team move against Motherwell (one that Alex Miller could point to any time people go over the top about how crap the football was under him) and I also remember a really cheeky lob. Can't remember who against or where the game was though.

He's probably getting into management at the right time and in the right era. I always thought he seemed an intelligent sort and nowadays intelligence seems to be considered to be an attribute in football rather than a stick to beat folk with.

Stax
03-11-2015, 09:01 PM
I always liked him as a player and he always comes across as having a real affection for the club. Who knows how things would have went if he'd been appointed. I wish him well and I'm sure his stock will rise if Norn oirn have a decent Euros.

Gmack7
03-11-2015, 09:05 PM
I'm sure he started studying law while living in Edinburgh,intelligent footballer it'll never catch on
Brilliant player in his time at hibs

Frazerbob
03-11-2015, 09:18 PM
Want to explain those comments on Fenlon who seemed to be nothing but a decent guy who was always respectful of Hibs?

As for doing a better job. Who knows? We were in real danger of relegation. That might have happened if his start with Ireland was anything to go by.

How much better would we have been? Scottish Cup winners? Easily top six? Both?

Any need for the tone?

Did you listen to the interview? If not, you should. When the rumours about MON having a drink problem started to circulate it was pretty common knowledge that they originated from people with a vested interest in Fenlon getting the job. A theory that both the interviewer and interviewee hinted very strongly at tonight. MON was all but offered the job until the rumour mill kicked in.

As for well he would have done? You're right, who knows. I do know who's career has followed the best trajectory since however.

JimBHibees
03-11-2015, 10:17 PM
I don't know the name but it came from an agent who had a few players at St Johnston and Dundee Utd and coincidently was Fenlon's advisor. IIRC at the time Stephen Thomson was being implicated in some way but don't quote me lol

Interesting there was a link to St Johnstone as IMO there was defo a game v them where there appeared to be a betting run on saints winning which they duly did.

biggineurope
04-11-2015, 06:54 AM
Had Brechin (when he was manager) train at the facilities at my work on a Monday night. Always was genuine, polite and always talked Hibs up with a real affection. The best laugh though was when Jim Duffy took over from Michael ( after he was the former Hertz Director of Fitba) I'd thought i'd wind him up a wee bit and asked how he felt moving five rungs up the career ladder from his old job at Tynie. He wasn't amused, I was though and so where a few of his team.

Steve-O
04-11-2015, 10:29 AM
I recall one midweek game against Raith I think where McAllister and O'Neill scored fantastic goals...McAllister was seemingly near the corner flag surrounded by defenders and got away raced into the box keeper saved the shot and he slotted in the rebound. O'Neill's goal was a sublime chip from the edge of the box. Both goals at the FF stand end. Can anyone else remember that game or did I dream it?

I remember it, 3-2 Hibs I think. McAllister's goal was the winner IIRC. I think that was the game where I vividly recall someone getting a full cup of Bovril to the back during the celebrations :greengrin

ekhibee
04-11-2015, 04:12 PM
Interesting there was a link to St Johnstone as IMO there was defo a game v them where there appeared to be a betting run on saints winning which they duly did.
not this one then!

https://youtu.be/BPvM-ghiWmw

--------
04-11-2015, 04:50 PM
Reading down this thread, I think we're forgetting that Hibs made TWO appointments at the time - Leeann Dempster came in first, then Alan Stubbs. I can't see any way Michael would have been working directly with anyone other than Petrie at the time we're talking about, and I'm still convinced that Petrie was the root of the problem.

After all, even if Collins, Paatelainen, Hughes, Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher were all totally incompetent and entirely to blame for the state of the team, questions have to be asked about the man who appointed them. Bear in mind he also appointed Tommy Craig and Billy Brown as assistants/caretakers, neither of whom would I leave in charge of my wheelie-bin, full or empty.

The IFA obviously gave Michael their trust and backing in a way neither the Hibs board nor the Hibs support would have been likely to have done. After all, we've already had people on here saying that whether Alan Stubbs should be sacked in June if Hibs aren't promoted, so wecan hardly claim to be the most patient or long-suffering of supporters. Not with our managers, at least.

I agree with those who suggest that Michael dodged a bullet when he was turned down for the job. He was a lucky lucky man and I hope he carries that luck to the European Championships and that NI at least progress one stage farther than the Republic do.

hibsbollah
05-11-2015, 10:15 AM
I read the Alan Patullo piece today and I really don't like the unsubstantiated allegation that Fenlons advisor, and by implication Fenlon himself, was behind the 'o'neill has a drink problem' smears. If there's evidence that this agent was behind it, I haven't seen it. And is there any evidence that this agent and Fenlon have any links beyond being mates, or any evidence linking Fenlon to anything? Nah I didn't think so.

Smells like **** stirring from a Scottish media who never warmed to Fenlon in the first place.

J-C
05-11-2015, 10:51 AM
I got to now Michael pretty well when he was a member at David Lloyd, he was working in the financial sector at the time and considering whether to get back into football as he was missing the game, he's an honest, nice, family man who was anything but a drinker as he still took care of his fitness and health.

Frazerbob
05-11-2015, 01:49 PM
I read the Alan Patullo piece today and I really don't like the unsubstantiated allegation that Fenlons advisor, and by implication Fenlon himself, was behind the 'o'neill has a drink problem' smears. If there's evidence that this agent was behind it, I haven't seen it. And is there any evidence that this agent and Fenlon have any links beyond being mates, or any evidence linking Fenlon to anything? Nah I didn't think so.

Smells like **** stirring from a Scottish media who never warmed to Fenlon in the first place.

The rumours about the drinking and who those rumours emanated from were doing the rounds before anyone had heard of Pat Fenlon. It was donkeys ago but IIRC and you can be arsed scrolling back, you'll find it all on the PM board and substantiated by completely unconnected posters.

I don't get your insinuation that the press had it in for Fenlon.....why would they, he came across a perfectly pleasant sort to me, just completely out of his depth.

Andy74
05-11-2015, 04:09 PM
The rumours about the drinking and who those rumours emanated from were doing the rounds before anyone had heard of Pat Fenlon. It was donkeys ago but IIRC and you can be arsed scrolling back, you'll find it all on the PM board and substantiated by completely unconnected posters.

I don't get your insinuation that the press had it in for Fenlon.....why would they, he came across a perfectly pleasant sort to me, just completely out of his depth.

Which Hibs managers were in their depth then?

hibsbollah
05-11-2015, 04:34 PM

Why would they? Because there were a long list of 'more suitable candidates' who were part of the Sportsound 'kent faces' who didnt get the job and which seemed to irritate the media. I remember one particular hatchet job by Chick Young before Pat was even in post, attacking the appointment purely on the basis that he had no SPL experience and wasnt Yogi Hughes or Jimmy Calderwood or Butcher or any of the other rentaquote unemployed SPL managers at that time.

Andy74
05-11-2015, 05:01 PM

It's an odd piece overall because other than having played for Hibs, which managerial CV was actually better at the time?

Fenlon had also been approached by Dundee Utd the year before but they couldn't afford the deal so he wasn't that left field.

Fenlon:

5 League of Ireland Titles 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009
1 FAI Cup 2008
1 Setanta Sports Cup 2010
1 League of Ireland Cup 2009

O'Neill:

2 League of Ireland Titles 2010, 2011
1 Setanta Cup 2011

Northern Ireland have had a good campaign obviously but overall he has had 30 games and won 7. That's fine but then you can't say that Fenlon with 2 Scottish Cup finals, avoiding relagation that first year then occupying an average place of 5th in the SPL thereafter is failure.

I think dipping down at the wrong time into that 7th place the year before was pivotal in perceptions as well as individual results such as cup finals and Malmo but we were generally a top half team that reached two Scottish cup finals in a row. From where we are with Calderwood that's hardly the stuff of disasters. Stubbs himself has had a Scottish cup disappointment and shipped 6 goals to Rangers at home so you can pick those things out from most managers.

Suggesting we missed out in a big way with O'Neill with all that considered is a bit odd before you reach the suggestions of causing these rumours.

Thecat23
05-11-2015, 05:06 PM
O'neil isn't a drinker and Fenlon's football was *****.

Next....

heretoday
05-11-2015, 05:09 PM
Michael seems to be doing ok now anyway! He'll be heading to the Prem next I'd imagine.

Bishop Hibee
05-11-2015, 05:21 PM
We'll never know whether O'Neill would have been a success at Hibs. What we do know is that Fenlon oversaw cup final humiliation and Europa Cup disgrace.

Nice guy though and loves Hibs but I know plenty of people like that.

Tyler Durden
05-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Why would they? Because there were a long list of 'more suitable candidates' who were part of the Sportsound 'kent faces' who didnt get the job and which seemed to irritate the media. I remember one particular hatchet job by Chick Young before Pat was even in post, attacking the appointment purely on the basis that he had no SPL experience and wasnt Yogi Hughes or Jimmy Calderwood or Butcher or any of the other rentaquote unemployed SPL managers at that time.

Once in the post Fenlon had plenty of time to win over the media. I think his failure to do so, says more about him than the Scottish media.

Tyler Durden
05-11-2015, 06:15 PM
It's an odd piece overall because other than having played for Hibs, which managerial CV was actually better at the time?

Fenlon had also been approached by Dundee Utd the year before but they couldn't afford the deal so he wasn't that left field.

Fenlon:

5 League of Ireland Titles 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009
1 FAI Cup 2008
1 Setanta Sports Cup 2010
1 League of Ireland Cup 2009

O'Neill:

2 League of Ireland Titles 2010, 2011
1 Setanta Cup 2011

Northern Ireland have had a good campaign obviously but overall he has had 30 games and won 7. That's fine but then you can't say that Fenlon with 2 Scottish Cup finals, avoiding relagation that first year then occupying an average place of 5th in the SPL thereafter is failure.

I think dipping down at the wrong time into that 7th place the year before was pivotal in perceptions as well as individual results such as cup finals and Malmo but we were generally a top half team that reached two Scottish cup finals in a row. From where we are with Calderwood that's hardly the stuff of disasters. Stubbs himself has had a Scottish cup disappointment and shipped 6 goals to Rangers at home so you can pick those things out from most managers.

Suggesting we missed out in a big way with O'Neill with all that considered is a bit odd before you reach the suggestions of causing these rumours.

You can say Fenlon was a failure. People say it all the time as its very clear.

One thing I've never heard anyone say is "Ahh I remember that season well, we had an average position of 5th..."

Thecat23
05-11-2015, 06:37 PM
You can say Fenlon was a failure. People say it all the time as its very clear.

One thing I've never heard anyone say is "Ahh I remember that season well, we had an average position of 5th..."

Oh no, what have you just done 😁

Frazerbob
06-11-2015, 01:43 AM
Which Hibs managers were in their depth then?

Good question.

Frazerbob
06-11-2015, 01:50 AM
O'neil isn't a drinker and Fenlon's football was *****.

Next....

:top marks Amen, close the thread.

hibsbollah
06-11-2015, 06:49 AM
Once in the post Fenlon had plenty of time to win over the media. I think his failure to do so, says more about him than the Scottish media.

Thats a matter of opinion. The central point i was making was that Patullo et al are repeating the unsubstantiated and very harmful gossip about Fenlon starting gossip, which I dont think is fair. It would be more honest to go on and actually accuse him instead of insinuate, which would at least give Fenlon Right of Reply.

Bay Area Hibees
06-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Always liked MON as a player.
I was at Dundee Uni in late 80's when was playing for United. Mixu was also there + studied accounting . Saw them quite a bit including MON at party, was blootered like everyone else . Great lad.
Delighted for him.

Viva_Palmeiras
06-11-2015, 07:13 PM
O'Neill was a brilliant player.

I remember there being an article about him in "Shoot" when I was a kid. He had played a handful of games for the Newcastle first team and was considered to be one to watch.

He went to Dundee United and eventually wound up with is. It wasn't such a downward trajectory to play for us or United after having been at a big English team in those days.

He was a very intelligent and excellent technical player. He scored some cracking goals for us - there was a sublime volley after a great team move against Motherwell (one that Alex Miller could point to any time people go over the top about how crap the football was under him) and I also remember a really cheeky lob. Can't remember who against or where the game was though.

He's probably getting into management at the right time and in the right era. I always thought he seemed an intelligent sort and nowadays intelligence seems to be considered to be an attribute in football rather than a stick to beat folk with.

Think about the Miller era teams quite a number of them went into management.

Millen
Cooper
Watson
Oneill
Murdo
Keith & Mickey for a bit
Collins
Evans
May
Crunchie
Rae
Lennon
Jackson

That's for starters

HibbyAndy
06-11-2015, 07:15 PM
One of the best (and rare) 2 footed players i've seen in my time at ER.

eastmainsmsh
07-11-2015, 06:02 PM
It was exciting watching him great player