PDA

View Full Version : What would it take to get fans back?

FromTheCapital
03-11-2015, 08:40 AM
Now, before I start, I'm not having a go at any of my fellow supporters. I'm just curious to see what it would take to many of our supporters back on seats st Easter Road... Lower price? Promotion?

Anyway, Sunday was a terrific win. We didn't play great, in my opinion, but I thought we battled magnificently and deservedly picked up the three points. On Sunday, there was only roughly 10.5k Hibs fans, which of course is an increase on what we've had at Easter Road so far this season but I can't help but feel these are the kind of games where we could easily be seeing 13-14k of us cheering on the boys. Having said that, the atmosphere on Sunday was really good and I think it really did give the players that extra yard when their backs were against the wall.

Now, looking to tomorrow. I've spoke to many fellow Hibbies who seem to be underestimating Dundee Utd. We went into the game against Aberdeen with the correct mentality and got a fantastic result that night but you just have to look at Rangers defeat to St Johnstone that if you lose your shape, good teams will punish you. And let's no be completely blind to the fact that there are a bunch of good players at Mixu's disposal. Players like Billy McKay who is deadly in front of goal and the young lad, Scott Fraser who has been a real handful every time I've seen him this season.

In regards to the attendance tomorrow, I think something around the 12k mark would be okay. I understand that it's probably not quite as big as the game on Sunday but it's still a huge game in the context that a win would put us in a national Semi-Final. So, to everyone who can make it tomorrow but are still undefined, I say please get down to Easter road tomorrow and get right behind the team. Stubbsy has spoke about how the fans are great but he'd like to see more bums on seats and only a fool could disagree with him. Ticket prices are decent for tomorrow's game but I have got no idea as to how many tickets have been sold thus far.

I also see that tickets sales are going very well for Saturday's trip to Paisley in what will be a crucial game against St Mirren. It would be a massive dent in confidence if we fail to win at St Mirren and undo all of the hard work that was put into Sunday's game.

Again, for one last time, I call on everyone (who can) to get a ticket for tomorrow's game and get behind the boys who are trying their hardest (along with the manager, backroom staff and even the board) to get this club back to where it belongs. To get this club back near the very top of Scottish football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
03-11-2015, 08:48 AM
Good post. This team have a bit of fight about them that we haven't seen at Easter road for a long time.

Since90+2
03-11-2015, 09:05 AM
Dont think it will be as high as 12,000 to be honest.

That would mean probably around the same amount of fans as Sunday , on the basis Dundee United will probably bring about a thousand , and I think that is unlikely given its not a season ticket match.

4 Front Teeth
03-11-2015, 09:11 AM
There will be a correlation between price and attendance...... I wonder at what point 15k would be reached? I wonder what attendances would be for 10 per ticket and 5 for under 18?

Brightside
03-11-2015, 09:25 AM
There will be a correlation between price and attendance...... I wonder at what point 15k would be reached? I wonder what attendances would be for 10 per ticket and 5 for under 18?

They would need to be at least double what we normally get in order to make the same amount of turnover.

jgl07
03-11-2015, 09:29 AM
They would need to be at least double what we normally get in order to make the same amount of turnover.

Indeed.

Motherwell tried all this with reduced prices, signing major players and it a negligible impact on attendances.

hibs0666
03-11-2015, 09:35 AM

I don't believe there is a strong correlation. For example, I won't be at all surprised if the Hibs crowd tomorrow (£20 to get in) is smaller than that for the game against the huns (£28 to get in).

Kawacabbage10
03-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think this team will be getting the crowds it should, and deserves, aslong as we are in this division. Add all the reasons that have been mentioned 100 times, pricing, Petrie and football mismanagement over the last 7/8 etc has seen an understandable breakdown between club and support.

Completely accept all the good work from Dempster and the football department since they have arrived at the Club, it really is a breath of fresh air, but it's going to take time to get people back and the only way they will do this is by winning football matches on a consistent basis, pushing the Huns all the way, and if we can't win the League, we must win the play off and get us back in the top league this season.

NAE NOOKIE
03-11-2015, 10:47 AM
The honest truth is that as things stand at the moment there is little or nothing Hibs can do to get the missing fans back.

We are on a run of 11 games unbeaten, during which time we have beaten the team at the top of the premiership and now the last unbeaten team in Scottish football's 4 top divisions. That's on the park.

Off it Hibs have cajoled, pleaded and near enough begged the missing fans to get behind the team, with little or no response. Hell, even the weather has played its part, with nice days for near enough every one of our home games this season.

There are only two things left to us:

Stop charging £28 for Cat A games .... I'm convinced that knocked 500 to 1,000 off the gate on Sunday. If it had been £25 I'm convinced that more people would have made the decision to go. Even though its only £3 of a difference I think psychologically it would have made a difference, though obviously that doesn't address the missing fans for regular games.

Get rid of Rod Petrie .... I don't believe for a second that thousands of fans are staying away because RP is still chairman, but I'm willing to accept that up to a couple of hundred may be determined not to come back until he goes. I'm also willing to think that his departure may lead a larger number of swithering fans to accept that there really is a new broom sweeping Easter Road .... Though I have to say that what has happened at Hibs between Leeann Dempster's arrival and now should have been more than enough to convince them, Petrie or no Petrie.

The target for Hibs is to get back around 3,000 missing fans, because going by our crowds over a long period the 8 to 9 thousand we get at the moment is in reality only slightly below the norm, 11 to 12 thousand is doing pretty well and any more than that is doing very well. The bottom line is that the biggest and best thing we can do is to get out of this bloody league.

Whatever happens, if it turns out that Hibs do end up in the play off final this season I for one will be very very upset if we don't sell every one of the 18,000 tickets available for the home leg .... £20 or not, if you cant be arsed to drag yourself out the house for a game as vital as that to this football club, you really don't have any business telling folk you are a Hibs supporter.

hibs0666
03-11-2015, 10:55 AM
The honest truth is that as things stand at the moment there is little or nothing Hibs can do to get the missing fans back.

I agree that it is going to be a very difficult and long drawn-out process to grow attendances but there is still lots more that the club can do to help that process along.

Hibs can do more to understand what different people want to get out of supporting Hibs, and then the club ius in a position to meet those aims. I can pretty much guarantee you that it is not always about winning games.

SeanWilson
03-11-2015, 11:01 AM
For me its purely financial....

£20-£28 per parent and three lads at £10-14 ... Me and the Mrs are both big hibees and obviously the lads follow... at around £70 before we've even got the train, bought the pies, juice etc... its just far to much to ask a family to pay to watch hibs v the likes of Dundee UTD, never mind Alloa.

Nowadays i can only really get along to the odd game with the mrs or have a rare day out for the family as a treat, my bank balance just doesnt stretch to £100 odd quid to watch hibs.

I also realise the club needs the funds to operate so its a catch 22, just my scenario.

Tha Cabbage Kid
03-11-2015, 11:05 AM
one thing that WILL work. we need to win the Scottish cup. simple:flag::flag:

NAE NOOKIE
03-11-2015, 11:11 AM

£20-£28 per parent and three lads at £10-14 ... Me and the Mrs are both big hibees and obviously the lads follow... at around £70 before we've even got the train, bought the pies, juice etc... its just far to much to ask a family to pay to watch hibs v the likes of Dundee UTD, never mind Alloa.

Nowadays i can only really get along to the odd game with the mrs or have a rare day out for the family as a treat, my bank balance just doesnt stretch to £100 odd quid to watch hibs.

I also realise the club needs the funds to operate so its a catch 22, just my scenario.

I don't think anybody can, or should, argue with that. If folk can only afford a few games and that's what they do then they are every bit as good a Hibs supporter as the guy who has the most expensive season ticket and a pile of shares.

HappyHanlon
03-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Indeed.

Motherwell tried all this with reduced prices, signing major players and it a negligible impact on attendances.

Motherwell are blighted by the location factor - anything past Livingston and it's Old Firm territory.

It could work for us - we have thousands of fans who don't attend matches for whatever reason. We're fixing the product on the pitch, LD's fixing the off the pitch issues so all that really leaves is ticket prices.

£15 Adult
£5 Child

The above would be my preference for ticketing prices, perhaps increasing it to £20 for Category A matches.

TheFamous1875
03-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Although the tickets prices could be reduced and it would bring SOME people back, it's not prices which are the main barrier between fans returning to Easter Road.

The reason Hibs crowds are so low is because we've had a sustained period of abject failure since we won the league cup in 2007. The reason our average attendance in 2007 was 14,000 was because the Hibs fans invested their emotions (and their wallets) in a bond of goodwill with the club after an almost sustained period of success dating from our relegation season (1998/99). We trounced that league that year and went up with a record-setting 89 points. We had a good manager in Alex McLeish, and incredible players in Franck Sauzee and Russell Latapy playing in a good squad that dominated teams whilst playing attractive football. This period of success that included 0 defeats at the hands of Hearts, the famous 6-2 match, regular trips to Hampden, wins over Rangers, wins over most other teams excluding a very good Celtic team and top league finishes (5th and 3rd) finished with our defeat of AEK Athens in the UEFA Cup at Easter Road.

From then, we went downhill and struggled, but the sense of goodwill between the club and paying fans was still there and we managed to stay up once Bobby Williamson was brought in. In Williamson's period we saw rotten football but we also saw our youngsters blossom into first-team regulars, and we also had success in defeating both Celtic and Rangers on our way to the League Cup Final versus Livingston in which we seen 40,000 Hibs fans in Hampden. We lost that match and our disappointment was curbed by the arrival of Tony Mowbray, who brought in good players, oversaw our young players becoming some of the best in Scotland and had us playing thrilling football and finished us in 3rd and 4th places and reaching Hampden on both of his full seasons. We started our selling with Ian Murray, who was followed by Gary Caldwell, Garry O'Connor and finally Derek Riordan, all of whom were adequately replaced by Michael Stewart, Rob Jones, Chris Killen and Benji - a duty that was rarely, if ever carried out in the succeeding years. This period culminated in our League Cup win in 2007 and from there it's been nothing short of consistent frustration, humiliation and failure.

From then on, we would start selling our best players and replacing them with duds, manager after manager in and out of the door and performance levels naturally regressed- three 6th place finishes on the trot that were considered disappointments! The period between the League Cup win and Anthony Stokes' Zemmama-inspired 12 second goal against Rangers at Christmas 2009 was one of an educated optimism and from that very point we've ended up where we are today - just wrestling with Rangers for a first place finish at the second ask. The amount and the frequency of our disappointments and humiliations are palpable in the atrophy of our attendance levels.

Disappointments like us getting relegated in 1998 were countered by leathering the first division and going up with a great squad of players. The 2001 Scottish Cup Final ills were cured by beating AEK Athens in our back green. The 2004 League Cup final defeat to Livingston woe was stunned by Tony Mowbray and the success we had then. After that 4-1 defeat to Rangers at the end of 2009 we had no respite from heartache - ***** football, ***** managers, ***** players, ***** derbies, disgraceful cup finals, disgraceful European campaigns, disgraceful relegation and shocking semi finals against Falkirk and failing to be promoted at the first point of asking. All failures. It becomes a habit, just like success can. Abject failure since 2007 has been indoctrinated for almost a decade now and it'll take a genuine success such as winning the league to get the first influx of discerners returning back to the matches.

This is why the fans are not coming back yet. They do not see the change in the players, the modern coaching and fitness, the dedication from Leeann and the new approach to communication and the local community that Hibs have adopted. All they see is "still in the first division" "still outdone by Hearts" "still **** it up at the last hurdle."

The club is making great leaps into becoming a consistent long-term success in the future and it's putting the motions in place like they have for the past year that will get us the success we need in the next decade or so. I have full confidence that we're absolutely on the right track and it's only a matter of time before we get back to where we belong (challenging in the Premiership, winning cups, playing in Europe every year).

The emotional investment and goodwill that Hibs had with the fans has been decreased so much in such a short space of time that it's a miracle that we still have 8000-odd attending on average as it is. The fans over the years have been done over and defeated and reduced to what they are and you can only blame those at the top for this negligence of standards. They need a big gesture, a mandate for success and a held standard for all to see.

It's unequivocal success that will bring Hibs fans back, nothing else.

Thecat23
03-11-2015, 11:20 AM
I think cost has a lot to do with it. Some just don't think £28 for a game in the championship is value for money. Others simply cannot afford it sadly!

But the ones who may have stayed away purely for football reasons may come back and if they don't I've no idea why because Stubbs has built a good side and he deserves the backing of folk can afford to come along.

erin go bragh
03-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Win promotion

GGTTH

500miles
03-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Cost has very little to do with it. People just like to say it does because it would get them in cheaper.

NAE NOOKIE
03-11-2015, 11:58 AM
Good post by 'The Famous1875' .... too long to quote.

The only thing I would add to it, and this is in no way excusing the failures of the folk running Hibs in the years up until we were relegated, is this.

It is ironic that more than any other club we have been affected by the cheating of others and sometimes pure bad luck.

We end up in the biggest game in 100 years with a team we could afford, which shamefully contained certain players who either couldn't grasp the magnitude of the game, or worse just didn't care, up against a team the Yams couldn't afford. Not to mention an at best ( lets be kind ) incompetent ref. We then end up in a Championship with 2 of Scotland's 4 biggest clubs, neither of whom would have been there if they hadn't been run by crooks. We get to the 2013 cup final, where after 10 minutes its clear that our best and most dangerous player is not fit enough to play.

Funnily enough a decent reflection of the years prior to 2007 where we lose a cup final to a Livingston team put together with other peoples money and lose another one where our best and most influential player is half fit through injury and the best attacking player we have makes it impossible for the manager to pick him.

Bad enough to have a club run by incompetents without it being turned into a perfect storm by cruel fate. There are many words that can be used to describe this 'bonny fitba team' ...... lucky certainly isn't one of them :bitchy:

SeanWilson
03-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Cost has very little to do with it. People just like to say it does because it would get them in cheaper.

Nonsense. If i was living a more affluent lifestyle, i'd be at the majority of the games, not giving a toss about the cost - I'd love to have the boys at ER with me cheering on the team! Cost has a hell of a lot to do with it.

Take the semi last year for instance. When the tickets were anounced at family friendly prices, we were straight in there for the tickets - a cup semi final at under £50 for a family of 5 was superb value, allowed for the petrol money, the £5 each for a hot dog, a programme etc etc...

I'm not suggesting that the prices need to be this low, however there must be many more families who just cannot afford the current prices.

WeeRussell
03-11-2015, 12:09 PM
I think Sunday may have helped a bit - let's see what we get tomorrow and over the next few weeks.

Scottie
03-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Eh ! I think cost has a lot to do with the low attendances (as well as a s***e product on the park until the last 12 months). £28 pound is a hell of a lot of money to most folks these days.

Its not not the working mans game anymore that some would still wish to believe. :rolleyes:

TheFamous1875
03-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Does anyone think there's a case for a sort of means tested system in regards to ticket prices? Or maybe some link up with the Job Centre something? We can't afford to price people out of games that would otherwise be in the stands.

Lucius Apuleius
03-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Nothing needs to change, would be my answer.

I had an ST for years when I lived and worked in Nigeria and was lucky to get to half a dozen games a season so money is certainly not an issue even though I am now a poor retired 59 year old person with no income :greengrin

Poor management and administration of Hibs, Petrie? Nope, doesn't worry me personally who is in charge but things do look better under Leeann.

Bad football? Nope, seen worse.

Selling our best players? Nope, we have done it ever since I were a lad. The only time it affected me was when God went to Celtc. I went back to the pub rather than get on the bus to go to the game that night.

Disappointment at cup finals etc ? Part and parcel of being a Hibby. My sons and my missus have seen Hibs lift the LC twice. I have never seen Hibs win anything, even the Tennant's sixes or the Dryborough Cup. Always at sea or abroad. I have seen most of the ones we have lost though.

So, why have I been missing the last few weeks? Simples. I have had other things to do mainly. I keep saying, I love Hibs, BUT, they are not the be all and end all of life. Grandkids coming to see me on a Sunday, not missing that for anything nor anyone, at least until they are old enough to come with me. (4 year old has already been at her first game, last season at Forthbank). Health reason figure largely. People were talking on another thread about parking cars. It is virtually impossible to get a parking space on the Easter Road side of Leith Walk so I always park on Pilrig Street and walk over. I always try the other side first and have a wee drive about but 99% of the time unsuccessfully. It takes me over half an hour to walk that far now and I am usually absolutely knackered by the time I get there. Then having to climb the stairs in the East nearly finishes me off. Need to go far enough back in case it rains and I get soaked and that is too big a risk of infection. Church plays a big part in my life as well. Us Proddies can only go once a week unlike the Kafflicks who can turn up any time. :greengrin

So basically nothing will entice me back except me feeling fit enough to go or find a parking space closer to the ground.

Ticket printed for tomorrow. :thumbsup:

This is not by the way a plea for sympathy. Merely pointing out that people have different reasons for not being there that a lot of the support really do not want to understand. I have served my time as a foot soldier and now pick my battles. And yep, I'll be at Hampden if we get to the semi.

GGTTH

itslegaltender
03-11-2015, 12:16 PM
I reckon no more than 8,000 at tomorrows game.

Thecat23
03-11-2015, 12:18 PM

Really? Believe me there are many folk who would love to go but can't afford it just now and justify spending that amount. To say there isn't is pretty naive!

NAE NOOKIE
03-11-2015, 12:20 PM
Nonsense. If i was living a more affluent lifestyle, i'd be at the majority of the games, not giving a toss about the cost - I'd love to have the boys at ER with me cheering on the team! Cost has a hell of a lot to do with it.

Take the semi last year for instance. When the tickets were anounced at family friendly prices, we were straight in there for the tickets - a cup semi final at under £50 for a family of 5 was superb value, allowed for the petrol money, the £5 each for a hot dog, a programme etc etc...

I'm not suggesting that the prices need to be this low, however there must be many more families who just cannot afford the current prices.

This

I defend Hibs pricing structure in the main, only because I doubt lowering admission to say £15 would bring enough fans back long term to soak up what we could lose and I genuinely think that doing so could damage what we are trying to achieve.

But, that does not mean I fail to recognise that as a result some folk, especially folk with a few kids, will not be able to attend every game and anybody who fails to recognize that unpalatable fact doesn't have a heart, never mind a brain.

Any rant I post on this forum always has been and always will be aimed at those who can afford to go but wont ..... it never has been and never will be aimed at those who cant afford to go and that should be the same for anybody who posts on this subject.

Nutmegged
03-11-2015, 12:20 PM
Although the tickets prices could be reduced and it would bring SOME people back, it's not prices which are the main barrier between fans returning to Easter Road.

The reason Hibs crowds are so low is because we've had a sustained period of abject failure since we won the league cup in 2007. The reason our average attendance in 2007 was 14,000 was because the Hibs fans invested their emotions (and their wallets) in a bond of goodwill with the club after an almost sustained period of success dating from our relegation season (1998/99). We trounced that league that year and went up with a record-setting 89 points. We had a good manager in Alex McLeish, and incredible players in Franck Sauzee and Russell Latapy playing in a good squad that dominated teams whilst playing attractive football. This period of success that included 0 defeats at the hands of Hearts, the famous 6-2 match, regular trips to Hampden, wins over Rangers, wins over most other teams excluding a very good Celtic team and top league finishes (5th and 3rd) finished with our defeat of AEK Athens in the UEFA Cup at Easter Road.

From then, we went downhill and struggled, but the sense of goodwill between the club and paying fans was still there and we managed to stay up once Bobby Williamson was brought in. In Williamson's period we saw rotten football but we also saw our youngsters blossom into first-team regulars, and we also had success in defeating both Celtic and Rangers on our way to the League Cup Final versus Livingston in which we seen 40,000 Hibs fans in Hampden. We lost that match and our disappointment was curbed by the arrival of Tony Mowbray, who brought in good players, oversaw our young players becoming some of the best in Scotland and had us playing thrilling football and finished us in 3rd and 4th places and reaching Hampden on both of his full seasons. We started our selling with Ian Murray, who was followed by Gary Caldwell, Garry O'Connor and finally Derek Riordan, all of whom were adequately replaced by Michael Stewart, Rob Jones, Chris Killen and Benji - a duty that was rarely, if ever carried out in the succeeding years. This period culminated in our League Cup win in 2007 and from there it's been nothing short of consistent frustration, humiliation and failure.

From then on, we would start selling our best players and replacing them with duds, manager after manager in and out of the door and performance levels naturally regressed- three 6th place finishes on the trot that were considered disappointments! The period between the League Cup win and Anthony Stokes' Zemmama-inspired 12 second goal against Rangers at Christmas 2009 was one of an educated optimism and from that very point we've ended up where we are today - just wrestling with Rangers for a first place finish at the second ask. The amount and the frequency of our disappointments and humiliations are palpable in the atrophy of our attendance levels.

Disappointments like us getting relegated in 1998 were countered by leathering the first division and going up with a great squad of players. The 2001 Scottish Cup Final ills were cured by beating AEK Athens in our back green. The 2004 League Cup final defeat to Livingston woe was stunned by Tony Mowbray and the success we had then. After that 4-1 defeat to Rangers at the end of 2009 we had no respite from heartache - ***** football, ***** managers, ***** players, ***** derbies, disgraceful cup finals, disgraceful European campaigns, disgraceful relegation and shocking semi finals against Falkirk and failing to be promoted at the first point of asking. All failures. It becomes a habit, just like success can. Abject failure since 2007 has been indoctrinated for almost a decade now and it'll take a genuine success such as winning the league to get the first influx of discerners returning back to the matches.

This is why the fans are not coming back yet. They do not see the change in the players, the modern coaching and fitness, the dedication from Leeann and the new approach to communication and the local community that Hibs have adopted. All they see is "still in the first division" "still outdone by Hearts" "still **** it up at the last hurdle."

The club is making great leaps into becoming a consistent long-term success in the future and it's putting the motions in place like they have for the past year that will get us the success we need in the next decade or so. I have full confidence that we're absolutely on the right track and it's only a matter of time before we get back to where we belong (challenging in the Premiership, winning cups, playing in Europe every year).

The emotional investment and goodwill that Hibs had with the fans has been decreased so much in such a short space of time that it's a miracle that we still have 8000-odd attending on average as it is. The fans over the years have been done over and defeated and reduced to what they are and you can only blame those at the top for this negligence of standards. They need a big gesture, a mandate for success and a held standard for all to see.

It's unequivocal success that will bring Hibs fans back, nothing else.
That is a very hard read but a spot on analysis of this very topic, well done man

lord bunberry
03-11-2015, 12:24 PM

I had an ST for years when I lived and worked in Nigeria and was lucky to get to half a dozen games a season so money is certainly not an issue even though I am now a poor retired 59 year old person with no income :greengrin

Poor management and administration of Hibs, Petrie? Nope, doesn't worry me personally who is in charge but things do look better under Leeann.

Selling our best players? Nope, we have done it ever since I were a lad. The only time it affected me was when God went to Celtc. I went back to the pub rather than get on the bus to go to the game that night.

Disappointment at cup finals etc ? Part and parcel of being a Hibby. My sons and my missus have seen Hibs lift the LC twice. I have never seen Hibs win anything, even the Tennant's sixes or the Dryborough Cup. Always at sea or abroad. I have seen most of the ones we have lost though.

So, why have I been missing the last few weeks? Simples. I have had other things to do mainly. I keep saying, I love Hibs, BUT, they are not the be all and end all of life. Grandkids coming to see me on a Sunday, not missing that for anything nor anyone, at least until they are old enough to come with me. (4 year old has already been at her first game, last season at Forthbank). Health reason figure largely. People were talking on another thread about parking cars. It is virtually impossible to get a parking space on the Easter Road side of Leith Walk so I always park on Pilrig Street and walk over. I always try the other side first and have a wee drive about but 99% of the time unsuccessfully. It takes me over half an hour to walk that far now and I am usually absolutely knackered by the time I get there. Then having to climb the stairs in the East nearly finishes me off. Need to go far enough back in case it rains and I get soaked and that is too big a risk of infection. Church plays a big part in my life as well. Us Proddies can only go once a week unlike the Kafflicks who can turn up any time. :greengrin

So basically nothing will entice me back except me feeling fit enough to go or find a parking space closer to the ground.

Ticket printed for tomorrow. :thumbsup:

This is not by the way a plea for sympathy. Merely pointing out that people have different reasons for not being there that a lot of the support really do not want to understand. I have served my time as a foot soldier and now pick my battles. And yep, I'll be at Hampden if we get to the semi.

GGTTH
You're situation is not the reason for falling attendances in the past few seasons. Over the years there will have been people in similar circumstances(maybe not that similar but health related) who just can't make it to every game anymore. It's the people that have given up on the club that need to enticed back. How the club does this I don't know, I suspect that a team flying high in the top division is the only answer.

Islington Hibs
03-11-2015, 12:25 PM
A lot of good points.

My guess is 9-10k tomorrow. I am sure it would have been the same if we charged £15 or £25. Football pricing is fairly inelastic and while it is too expensive most fans shrug their shoulders and pay up.

Our current gates, against generally small teams, are not too bad - 8000 or so- given what has gone on in the last 10 seasons but to get back to 12k+ their is only one route good, consistent entertaining football with Hibs in the top 4. No other route will succeed.

Sad for Dempster and Stubbs as they are doing everything right but given what has happened it is a gradual process.

My main concern is that it seems to me our support is ageing a bit. Not a great surprise given the lack of success in the last 40 years and I am very please to see the club making very positive efforts to try and address this.

LaMotta
03-11-2015, 12:33 PM

I agree with you. Although there are of course exceptions, in general if people really want to go the football they will find a way.

Look at Sunderland, who have averaged 42000 at their games this season with prices starting at £25 for a category C ticket and going as high as £40 for Category A. In a city where average income is relatively low.

Yes they are in the premiership, but getting papped most weeks can't be great to watch.

Lucius Apuleius
03-11-2015, 12:33 PM
You're situation is not the reason for falling attendances in the past few seasons. Over the years there will have been people in similar circumstances(maybe not that similar but health related) who just can't make it to every game anymore. It's the people that have given up on the club that need to enticed back. How the club does this I don't know, I suspect that a team flying high in the top division is the only answer.

And that is what I am getting at. There has been a lot of comments, not particularly on this thread, slagging people for not going. There are as many reasons for it as there are people missing. Our current support levels are not that different that they have been for many a long year.

steakbake
03-11-2015, 12:34 PM
The bookies literally giving away money with daft odds like they did on Sunday...

lord bunberry
03-11-2015, 12:36 PM
And that is what I am getting at. There has been a lot of comments, not particularly on this thread, slagging people for not going. There are as many reasons for it as there are people missing. Our current support levels are not that different that they have been for many a long year.
:agree: When I first started going in mid 80s crowds were lower than they are now.

hibsbollah
03-11-2015, 12:40 PM
The answer of course is there are lots of different people all with different reasons.

Personally how we do on the pitch is totally irrelevant to whether I go or not. The main factor is whether I feel that the atmosphere is likely to be good for me and (when i take them) fun for the kids.

Ringothedog
03-11-2015, 12:41 PM
I reckon no more than 8,000 at tomorrows game.

I will bet you £50 with the winnings going to KFK that there is more than 8000 at the game tomorrow

easty
03-11-2015, 12:45 PM

I wonder how much money Hibs would gain/lose if you were to say that it was free to bring your kids along. Say one free bairn for every paying adult (or 2 free bairns).

I'm sure there would be a load of Hibs fans in a similar situation to someone like yourself, where to go along with the Mrs and the kids it could be up to £98 for tickets alone. So these people might not bother. If it were free for the kids, Hibs could have had an extra £56.

There's obviously a good PR aspect of it as well, along with getting future generations into Easter Road early.

NAE NOOKIE
03-11-2015, 12:49 PM
Without bothering to quote it, we have a post with the immortal line about Hibs not being the be all and end all .... more to do with my time on a Saturday these days :blah: :blah: :blah:

That's fine .... but to anybody who posts that all I can say is, why the hell are you bothering to post on a Hibs supporters forum at all? This is after all a refuge for people who are supposed to be at least reasonably keen to support Hibs in a meaningful way. Everybody, but everybody, who goes to ER on a Saturday including those of us who post on here have more important things in their lives and greater responsibilities than supporting a football club. But it is our choice to devote time and money to doing so ..... that's as well as playing with the grandkids, going to the pictures, going to the Megabowl or digging the garden, not instead of.

If these things have taken the place of supporting Hibs then I'm sure there are plenty of forums out there for shopping and gardening enthusiasts.

HibbyScott
03-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Without bothering to quote it, we have a post with the immortal line about Hibs not being the be all and end all .... more to do with my time on a Saturday these days :blah: :blah: :blah:

That's fine .... but to anybody who posts that all I can say is, why the hell are you bothering to post on a Hibs supporters forum at all? This is after all a refuge for people who are supposed to be at least reasonably keen to support Hibs in a meaningful way. Everybody, but everybody, who goes to ER on a Saturday including those of us who post on here have more important things in their lives and greater responsibilities than supporting a football club. But it is our choice to devote time and money to doing so ..... that's as well as playing with the grandkids, going to the pictures, going to the Megabowl or digging the garden, not instead of.

If these things have taken the place of supporting Hibs then I'm sure there are plenty of forums out there for shopping and gardening enthusiasts.

This, I'm afraid, is just as blinkered and short sighted a view as the poster previously who said that money isn't a valid excuse.

Just because the poster in question can't make it along every week for various reasons doesn't mean that he doesn't still have a massive love for Hibs. He could for example be donating £50 a month to HSL, but just has made the decision that he wants to enjoy the time with his grandkids who can only visit on a Saturday. It certainly doesn't make him any less of a Hibs fan, or necessitate his removal from this messageboard!

I haven't been to ER since the Rangers match last Christmas (I certainly don't have the time or money to come up from Norfolk every other weekend!) but I don't feel like I'm less of a Hibs fan because of this!

Lucius Apuleius
03-11-2015, 01:00 PM

And this is just the type of post I was talking about. Rock on Uber one. Maybe one day when you have had a bit of nookie ( as your name seems to imply you have had none) and managed to impregnate someone and they in turn have kids that obviously become your grandkids you will know what I am saying. Family comes before anything in my life.

Oh, and I think I will stay posting on Hibs net thanks

4 Front Teeth
03-11-2015, 01:06 PM
There is no easy fix. I personally think the main 2 factors are:
- Price,the cheaper the higher the crowds will be.
- Routine, going to football can become a habit.... harder to form the habit of going to games when the day and time changes so much.

On price..... we think we have an aging crowd..... that's because fans can't afford to take under 18 along.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-11-2015, 01:16 PM
I am sure that a lot of supporters won't be back until it is top league football we are watching and even then there will be some that won't come back unti it is top six. That's not a new phenomenon though because in the cup finals we have reached, we see regular turnouts of 25k plus when the home average is half that.

SeanWilson
03-11-2015, 01:42 PM
I wonder how much money Hibs would gain/lose if you were to say that it was free to bring your kids along. Say one free bairn for every paying adult (or 2 free bairns).

I'm sure there would be a load of Hibs fans in a similar situation to someone like yourself, where to go along with the Mrs and the kids it could be up to £98 for tickets alone. So these people might not bother. If it were free for the kids, Hibs could have had an extra £56.

There's obviously a good PR aspect of it as well, along with getting future generations into Easter Road early.

From my perspective, this would be a superb idea... would allow for my wee family to make at least one or two home games a month that i couldnt otherwise. :agree:

Smartie
03-11-2015, 01:55 PM

I think that this is a good shout.

It's criminal that we have so many empty seats when there are kids all over the city who would love to be in attendance.

Making it more accessible for families would be brilliant. It is grim if we've got people who are being priced out of the game, are just about there but the kids bump them over the edge.

Is the FF still a designated family stand?

It would be great to run offers for the FF to fill it up a bit. It was looking pretty sparse to me on Sunday.

Spike Mandela
03-11-2015, 02:06 PM
There are two ways to get large crowds consistently...........

1) Several years of attractive football winning leagues and cups.

2) bring your club to the edge of going out of existance and putting out an emotional plea to save the club.

Whic is preferable...........and which is more likely?

PeeJay
03-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Now, before I start, I'm not having a go at any of my fellow supporters. I'm just curious to see what it would take to many of our supporters back on seats st Easter Road... Lower price? Promotion?

From afar, I'd suggest that a more passionate, attractive, free-flowing, attacking footballing style with convincing victories on a regular basis (we are in the lowly Championship after all) would help to bring back fans. I don't think a team that struggles to hold on to 1-0 or 2-1 to the likes of Raith Rovers and Falkirk or one that fails to convincingly beat a poor Rangers outfit (One that stuffed us 6-2 at home) is enough to draw lapsed fans back to Easter Road. Some fans - the hard core - will turn up whatever happens, whatever league the club is in, whatever the results: they're the backbone of the club. It's the others that are the "problem". The sustained and embarrassing decline in the Club's fortunes was more than enough to drive many fans away, and the slow climb up back out of the Championship is simply not convincing enough to get them back. Things need to change there. Another season in the Championship, pretending we're on the road to recovery may even start to reduce the hard core? Get it right on the park and fans will come back, because they will want to be there ...

JimBHibees
03-11-2015, 02:19 PM
From afar, I'd suggest that a more passionate, attractive, free-flowing, attacking footballing style with convincing victories on a regular basis (we are in the lowly Championship after all) would help to bring back fans. I don't think a team that struggles to hold on to 1-0 or 2-1 to the likes of Raith Rovers and Falkirk or one that fails to convincingly beat a poor Rangers outfit (One that stuffed us 6-2 at home) is enough to draw lapsed fans back to Easter Road. Some fans - the hard core - will turn up whatever happens, whatever league the club is in, whatever the results: they're the backbone of the club. It's the others that are the "problem". The sustained and embarrassing decline in the Club's fortunes was more than enough to drive many fans away, and the slow climb up back out of the Championship is simply not convincing enough to get them back. Things need to change there. Another season in the Championship, pretending we're on the road to recovery may even start to reduce the hard core? Get it right on the park and fans will come back, because they will want to be there ...

Incredible statement, Rangers are a decent team certainly in comparison with their team last season. Falkirk and Raith are also half decent teams especially on their own patch.

The Hibee Harp
03-11-2015, 02:21 PM
For me, there are two points.

Firstly, IMO we have to realise and acknowledge that some supporters (hopefully very few) have been lost and nothing that can be done will entice them back.

Secondly, Hibs just need to keep doing what they have been doing for the last 18 months (or however long Leeann has been in) and attendances will slowly increase. A couple of big results is a step in the right direction but it wont bring the fans back in their thousands, in the same way that it took years of decline on the park for attendances to fall to their lowest ebb. Hibs need to be back in the Premier League and in the top six imo before some people acknowledge the club has changed for the better. As much as we are enjoying the football just now and winning almost every week, we are in the second-tier of football and would/should expect to beat everyone other than Rangers.

Hopefully we see crowds rise sooner rather than later because I believe Alan Stubbs and his team deserve a better support (in terms of attendance), but to answer the OP, I think it will take the club being back where it belongs and consistently punching it's weight.

hibs0666
03-11-2015, 02:22 PM
I don't think a team that struggles to hold on to 1-0 or 2-1 to the likes of Raith Rovers and Falkirk or one that fails to convincingly beat a poor Rangers outfit (One that stuffed us 6-2 at home) is enough to draw lapsed fans back to Easter Road.

Why don't you include Aberdeen in there too?

givescotlandfreedom
03-11-2015, 02:28 PM
I thought after the Aberdeen game that if stay aways still won't come they're expecting more than Hibs will ever be capable of giving them.

southsider
03-11-2015, 02:29 PM

Rather harsh IMO as we should all be in this together. Our repeat our board are doing all they can to help our forward thinking management team and the players are responding on the park. If you don't want to go then don't go, with a chip on shoulder attitude like you have why bother ? Things HAVE changed if you care to look closely.

Monts
03-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Fans who have stopped coming out of habit wont be back until there is a reasonable expectation that hibs wont kick them in the goolies when they come back. There have been plenty times over the last few years where bumper crowds have been let down massively. One off games against rangers or aberdeen might do something to help, but there is still the feeling in the back of peoples heads that says "knowing us we'll lose next week and ruin the good work".

Until that mindset changes, there wont be a massive boost in fans. It will be slow, gradual growth of numbers.

AndyM_1875
03-11-2015, 02:38 PM
Incredible statement, Rangers are a decent team certainly in comparison with their team last season. Falkirk and Raith are also half decent teams especially on their own patch.

Yes indeed. Rangers now are light years away from the shambles they were under McCoist. If they were in the top flight their current side would be top 3 no problem, probably vying with Aberdeen for second spot.
And we have defeated both these sides recently.

People should take account of that and come and give the team their backing if they can.
Many people cannot make it because of family, cost or other commitments and that's understandable but I am fed up hearing weak-ass excuses from folk who sit in the pub whilst the team is playing at ER about Petrie, or because we are in the Championship, or because it's too cold, or they ran out of pies last time.
Because that's just utter guff.

PeeJay
03-11-2015, 02:39 PM
Why don't you include Aberdeen in there too?

Well, does it matter? I didn't see the game ... if we beat them "convincingly" as I suggested, then we don't do it often enough, that's the point I was making.

JimBHibees
03-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Yes indeed. Rangers now are light years away from the shambles they were under McCoist. If they were in the top flight their current side would be top 3 no problem, probably vying with Aberdeen for second spot.
And we have defeated both these sides recently.

People should take account of that and come and give the team their backing if they can.
Many people cannot make it because of family, cost or other commitments and that's understandable but I am fed up hearing weak-ass excuses from folk who sit in the pub whilst the team is playing at ER about Petrie, or because we are in the Championship, or because it's too cold, or they ran out of pies last time.
Because that's just utter guff.

Coudlnt agree more. This team albeit not in the top league at the moment is IMO great to watch and full of very talented players who play a very watchable brand of football.

seanshow
03-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Ill be there tomorrow night but i wasnt there on sunday, £58 for 2 games is takin the urine.
someone calculated the price of tickets from the 80's through to the present day with inflation, the tickets would be between £12-£15. Bundasliga anyone?

Its 2015, make the entry prices £15 and increase it by a quid a year, in 2028 you can start charging £28 :greengrin

and in the meantime get donkey doncaster to fill the shortfall with a proper tv rights deal, instead of the mickey mouse one we have at the moment.

PeeJay
03-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Rather harsh IMO as we should all be in this together. Our repeat our board are doing all they can to help our forward thinking management team and the players are responding on the park. If you don't want to go then don't go, with a chip on shoulder attitude like you have why bother ? Things HAVE changed if you care to look closely.

I don't swallow this club mantra myself, but you obviously have. I don't have a chip on my shoulder about Hibs BTW, I've been a fan since 65, who are you to suggest I shouldn't bother because I don't see it the way you do? And anyway, how will your attitude solve the problem of missing fans: they won't comeback because you say things are fine or its a duty thing? I don't go because I live in Berlin. The way I see it things have not changed enough, seems lots of lapsed fans see it that way too ...

marinello59
03-11-2015, 02:48 PM
Ill be there tomorrow night but i wasnt there on sunday, £58 for 2 games is takin the urine.
someone calculated the price of tickets from the 80's through to the present day with inflation, the tickets would be between £12-£15. Bundasliga anyone?

Its 2015, make the entry prices £15 and increase it by a quid a year, in 2028 you can start charging £28 :greengrin

and in the meantime get donkey doncaster to fill the shortfall with a proper tv rights deal, instead of the mickey mouse one we have at the moment.

Have you seen what has happened with players wages over that period?

PeeJay
03-11-2015, 03:00 PM

OK, I understand the decent thing. But then, how decent are we in comparison and where will we be next year and beyond: that's what matters, surely? Will our current level of decency pull in the crowds? Can't see it myself ....

Baldy Foghorn
03-11-2015, 03:00 PM

Think you may have your sums wrong..........

easty
03-11-2015, 03:03 PM
Think you may have your sums wrong..........

maths is hard

Gatecrasher
03-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Up until about Christmas last year I don't think anyone could be blamed for being totally scunnered with Hibs but I think in the last 2 years the club has come on leaps and bounds on and off the field, yes the ticket prices are expensive for the championship but that's clearly a conscious decision by the club in order to give us the best opportunity to get back to the top league. All the guys we have been raving about the last few weeks are at Hibs because we have kept a premier league budget, mcginn, Fyvie, malonga, Fontaine, McGeough etc whether you accept that are not is obviously your choice but watching this hibs team can be a real joy especially compared to the previous 3 or 4 years before Stubbs and Dempster came in to the club.

I was hoping for some we'll support you ever more, the club needs us kind of attitude but unfortunately that hasn't happened for a number of reasons highlighted in this thread and I have to admit I'm a little disappointed in that because it's not the same club or team that caused this situation and these guys definitely deserve a strong support from us.

We need to get back in the premiership asap there's no doubt about it and I understand games against livi or alloa just aren't as attractive as Aberdeen or Dundee utd but we are where we are and even if an extra 1,000 or 1, 500 can turn up to help hibs on the way I sure that would mean a lot to everybody down ER way.

Brightside
03-11-2015, 03:07 PM
People who don't come to the games complaining about the style of football is a bit special...

bobbyhibs1983
03-11-2015, 03:11 PM
Its a tricky situation and so far there are alot of good points raised from people being over seas to people being priced out of going with his family.

As regards price it is a tricky one i can see the clubs point of view, they have costs to consider e.g players wage, other people whom work the club wages, lighting costs, maintaince and a few other exspences which i guess if you add up comes to x weekly or monthly and the club has to cover this.

someone mentioned above they think the club have done all they can,. have they really?
in our household there are 3 lapsed season ticket holders, 1 due to working commintments and another due to having had a baby.
The problem i feel with hibs is they dont know the reasons i feel for people not attending.I recall mentioning it earler in the season when the st's were out they were a few people phoning *lapsed* st' holders up, i wonder if the feedback went somewhere and if X problem(whatever the biggest issue people said) went somewhere and was anything done about this?
we however did not get any phone calls and i know from 2-3 other lapsed season ticket holders they did not recieve any phone calls/emails.
Have the club considered surveys to reasons why people have choosen to stay away?
as breifly mentioned above if the club can identify x,y,z as problems,issues, prehaps they can say ok, we have done this to solve x,y,z.

I recall a while ago on this site about a package deal i think it was called where someone could puchase a 5 game deal thing. was this put to hibs?what was the response?
From my point of view in regards not going i think the biggest *issue* wise is out of the habbit, closely followed by cost.In the last 2-3 seasons having had a st I persoanily have felt i guess that connection with the club widening,prehaps being lost.

PeeJay
03-11-2015, 03:19 PM
People who don't come to the games complaining about the style of football is a bit special...

You don't think the "style" of football could be an influencing factor here?

BSEJVT
03-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Interesting thread

Cost clearly is a factor, but quantifying what the cost needs to be is impossible as it changes day to day

E.g. if you are feeling financially flush you wouldn't even think about £28, feeling okay its an issue, skint, no chance

To compound that there is the fluctuating form of the team to consider, very good at present so would pay more, very poor in the future? pay less.

Therefore reducing prices permanently just wont work.

I do now consider whether I can justify paying £28 against what else I could do with that cash (skint at the moment :-) ) but for me the biggest feature is that I have gotten out of the habit and instead of it being the norm and in the calendar weeks and months in advance, its now a will I wont I till the last moment.

I am not going tomorrow as I am completely snowed under workwise, even 3 years ago I would have sacked work without a second thought.

There's a big bit of me wants to go and I will be on tenterhooks watching score updates and match reports the whole game.

I think the only thing that would compel me to go regularly again would be if I had a season ticket.

But its chicken and egg as I wouldn't buy a season ticket again without having gone and wanted to go regularly.

MWHIBBIES
03-11-2015, 04:21 PM

It's unequivocal success that will bring Hibs fans back, nothing else.That will bring fairweather gloryhunters back, no one should support Hibs if they expect that.

PatHead
03-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Interesting thread

Cost clearly is a factor, but quantifying what the cost needs to be is impossible as it changes day to day

E.g. if you are feeling financially flush you wouldn't even think about £28, feeling okay its an issue, skint, no chance

To compound that there is the fluctuating form of the team to consider, very good at present so would pay more, very poor in the future? pay less.

Therefore reducing prices permanently just wont work.

I do now consider whether I can justify paying £28 against what else I could do with that cash (skint at the moment :-) ) but for me the biggest feature is that I have gotten out of the habit and instead of it being the norm and in the calendar weeks and months in advance, its now a will I wont I till the last moment.

I am not going tomorrow as I am completely snowed under workwise, even 3 years ago I would have sacked work without a second thought.

There's a big bit of me wants to go and I will be on tenterhooks watching score updates and match reports the whole game.

I think the only thing that would compel me to go regularly again would be if I had a season ticket.

But its chicken and egg as I wouldn't buy a season ticket again without having gone and wanted to go regularly.

To me you are the perfect example of the type of fan we need to attract back, all I can say is that this is the best football and team for sometime. You will enjoy it honest!

BTW did you go on your own or with a group and if a group how many still go?

MWHIBBIES
03-11-2015, 04:24 PM
From afar, I'd suggest that a more passionate, attractive, free-flowing, attacking footballing style with convincing victories on a regular basis (we are in the lowly Championship after all) would help to bring back fans. I don't think a team that struggles to hold on to 1-0 or 2-1 to the likes of Raith Rovers and Falkirk or one that fails to convincingly beat a poor Rangers outfit (One that stuffed us 6-2 at home) is enough to draw lapsed fans back to Easter Road. Some fans - the hard core - will turn up whatever happens, whatever league the club is in, whatever the results: they're the backbone of the club. It's the others that are the "problem". The sustained and embarrassing decline in the Club's fortunes was more than enough to drive many fans away, and the slow climb up back out of the Championship is simply not convincing enough to get them back. Things need to change there. Another season in the Championship, pretending we're on the road to recovery may even start to reduce the hard core? Get it right on the park and fans will come back, because they will want to be there ... So basically win every game 5-0 and people will turn up, sounds like a solid plan.

Smartie
03-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Maybe I'm just a masochist but I think I prefer seeing Hibs having to graft, defend and sometimes ride their luck to get their victories to winning by 4 or 5 every week.

There will never be a point when I follow Hibs that I will be anything less than completely satisfied from maximum points from a sequence of games that includes trips to Falkirk and Raith and a home win over a Rangers side who had won their previous 11 league games.

PatHead
03-11-2015, 04:34 PM
Its a tricky situation and so far there are alot of good points raised from people being over seas to people being priced out of going with his family.

As regards price it is a tricky one i can see the clubs point of view, they have costs to consider e.g players wage, other people whom work the club wages, lighting costs, maintaince and a few other exspences which i guess if you add up comes to x weekly or monthly and the club has to cover this.

someone mentioned above they think the club have done all they can,. have they really?
in our household there are 3 lapsed season ticket holders, 1 due to working commintments and another due to having had a baby.
The problem i feel with hibs is they dont know the reasons i feel for people not attending.I recall mentioning it earler in the season when the st's were out they were a few people phoning *lapsed* st' holders up, i wonder if the feedback went somewhere and if X problem(whatever the biggest issue people said) went somewhere and was anything done about this?
we however did not get any phone calls and i know from 2-3 other lapsed season ticket holders they did not recieve any phone calls/emails.
Have the club considered surveys to reasons why people have choosen to stay away?
as breifly mentioned above if the club can identify x,y,z as problems,issues, prehaps they can say ok, we have done this to solve x,y,z.

I recall a while ago on this site about a package deal i think it was called where someone could puchase a 5 game deal thing. was this put to hibs?what was the response?
From my point of view in regards not going i think the biggest *issue* wise is out of the habbit, closely followed by cost.In the last 2-3 seasons having had a st I persoanily have felt i guess that connection with the club widening,prehaps being lost.

As part of Working Together I did 2 nights of phone calls. The results were analysed. The main reason for fans not renewing was a change in circumstances (eg job, family commitments etc). The funny thing about this season was that we got a lot of new buyers. It was a real disappointment so many chose not to renew. Quite a few didn't renew because they missed the boat and were unable to get their own seats as they were not committing until they knew what division we were in.

The "Petrie" factor was almost non existent, the "Butcher disillusion" still raised its head (many folk didn't go the season before despite having a ticket) and cost did not seem to be a major factor.

The 5 game ticket is not offered as it will have a major effect on season ticket sales. You will soon be able to buy a half season which is in effect a 10 game ticket! :greengrin

bingo70
03-11-2015, 04:45 PM
I personally don't think reduced ticket prices for individual games have that much of an impact, when prices go back up again people just go back to the other things they like doing that are better value.

Imo you need to build commitment and to do that season tickets need to be substantially better value than walk up prices.

Something I wondered about would be season ticket prices subsidised by companies. Say hibs wanted to make £200k from season tickets (totally made up figure, no idea what the correct figure would be), we then lowered season tickets to say £150, whatever the shortfall is the company would make up. If there was a good take up of season tickets the company could potentially benefit from free advertising as well as the good will from supporters who would appreciate the deal, in the worst case scenario and there was a poor take up of season ticket sakes it'd cost them probably not a lot more than they'd get charged for sponsoring a stand like (I think) crabbies do in the famous five.

Think that makes sense.

Pretty Boy
03-11-2015, 04:51 PM
Tbh I think we just have to accept for various reasons some people have no intention of coming back to ER any time soon regardless of what Hibs do.

If people now have better things to do then good luck to them, it's not me now but in 5 or 10 years time who knows? There's likely a small group who could be enticed back through price changes, ticket flexibility etc and so on. There's a group who have always existed who will show up for finals and maybe a semi final or a derby and that's it. Finally there are the group who always have a reason why they won't attend, they are a lost cause imo as no matter what the club do they won't support them (that's won't rather than can't). The focus should be on engaging with the 1st 2 groups and forgetting about the last 2.

For me footballs always been about taking the highs with the lows. When we get promoted or win a cup or qualify for Europe or whatever the satisfaction for me will be knowing I was there when we were at rock bottom for the last few years. Sadly it seems those of us who still get out and support the team home and away are worthy of ridicule from some for being proud of that but there you go.

greenlex
03-11-2015, 05:02 PM
We should b letting kids under 16 in free if they bring a paying adult.

bingo70
03-11-2015, 05:09 PM
Tbh I think we just have to accept for various reasons some people have no intention of coming back to ER any time soon regardless of what Hibs do.

If people now have better things to do then good luck to them, it's not me now but in 5 or 10 years time who knows? There's likely a small group who could be enticed back through price changes, ticket flexibility etc and so on. There's a group who have always existed who will show up for finals and maybe a semi final or a derby and that's it. Finally there are the group who always have a reason why they won't attend, they are a lost cause imo as no matter what the club do they won't support them (that's won't rather than can't). The focus should be on engaging with the 1st 2 groups and forgetting about the last 2.

For me footballs always been about taking the highs with the lows. When we get promoted or win a cup or qualify for Europe or whatever the satisfaction for me will be knowing I was there when we were at rock bottom for the last few years. Sadly it seems those of us who still get out and support the team home and away are worthy of ridicule from some for being proud of that but there you go.

I've not read this whole thread but I'd hope the last sentance isn't true and in my experience it isn't. In fact I'd say it's the opposite. When I was younger I went to every game home and away and while I'm still a season ticket holder I can rarely be arsed with an away game and it doesn't bother me in the slightest if I miss a home game through other commitments.

I'd always respect people such as yourself who continue to make the effort but a lot of posters on here that go all the time don't respect my right to choose other things and seem to continually be looking for "excuses".

Other than that I completely agree with your post, some people are just unlikely to ever become regulars again.

Pretty Boy
03-11-2015, 05:09 PM

I've said this before but a kids ST in the FF lower works out at about £1.39 a game. That's as good as free to all intents and purposes. On a 9 month payment plan a parent and child could get to games for just over £42 a month, that's actually less than a paying adult walking up to 2 games a month and a child with them getting in free.

PeeJay
03-11-2015, 05:26 PM
So basically win every game 5-0 and people will turn up, sounds like a solid plan.

Not actually what I said, but maybe you are happy with current developments? Or what's your plan? Do you think scraping victories against the mighty Falkirk and Raith Rovers is doing the trick ...

3pm
03-11-2015, 05:31 PM
If folk don't want to go, they will always find a reason.

PISTOL1875
03-11-2015, 05:37 PM
I agree with you. Although there are of course exceptions, in general if people really want to go the football they will find a way.

Look at Sunderland, who have averaged 42000 at their games this season with prices starting at £25 for a category C ticket and going as high as £40 for Category A. In a city where average income is relatively low.

Yes they are in the premiership, but getting papped most weeks can't be great to watch.

How can you use Sunderland as an example ?? Firstly they are play in a far superior league than ours , secondly they are a one city team and thirdly , yeh they might get papped every week but the opposition most weeks will have a few fantastic players playing for them..

BSEJVT
03-11-2015, 05:41 PM
To me you are the perfect example of the type of fan we need to attract back, all I can say is that this is the best football and team for sometime. You will enjoy it honest!

At one time there were off the top of my head about 30 of us including children

Most of the kids have now grown up and don't go but there are 2 dads and older teenage sons and one guy still going.

I have been twice this season

Stranraer & Alloa

We were poor against Stranraer but I thought pretty good against Alloa and I did enjoy it.

The guys are all putting in a shift, with no little skill and I am definitely not against going.

I will love Hibs till the day I die and beyond as I have loved them all my life.

Its just that it isn't the be all and end all it once was.

I stopped having a season ticket in the Calderwood / Fenlon season, having had one from the purple / green striped top season.

It was all consuming for me during that period.

I stopped because it made me mad as hell, I used to grump and moan and shout and swear (I didn't want to, it just annoyed me that much) and made me absolutely miserable.

It probably didn't help that I had to give up 5's at that time as well due to my knees being knackered and I just fell out of love with football, even now I watch very little on Sky Sports.

I toddled along to the odd game in the interim and we simply sunk further and further into the abyss, I went once in the whole of last season

In the intervening period I have joined 3 golf courses and play Saturday / Sunday and midweek and to some extent that gives me the competition I missed so badly after having to stop 5's, its not the same but better than nothing.

I am encouraged by everything about the club at this time but I just don't see me returning regularly probably until either I am too knackered for golf or I have grandchildren to take.

The club have a huge job on their hands to return attendances to previous levels, far fewer kids grew up playing football like we did and there are so many other leisure options available to them and us now

I wish them and people like you trying so hard to encourage people back every success and Hibs will always have a special place in my heart.

Pretty Boy
03-11-2015, 05:41 PM
How can you use Sunderland as an example ?? Firstly they are play in a far superior league than ours , secondly they are a one city team and thirdly , yeh they might get papped every week but the opposition most weeks will have a few fantastic players playing for them..

Do people really go to a competitive football match to marvel at the opposition players? I'd understand that in a friendly but in a competitive game I couldn't care less if the opposition included Sergio Aguero or Billy Gibson.

MWHIBBIES
03-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Not actually what I said, but maybe you are happy with current developments? Or what's your plan? Do you think scraping victories against the mighty Falkirk and Raith Rovers is doing the trick ...

First of all don't be so ignorant towards Raith (won 5/5 at home before playing us) and Falkirk (very close to winning the Scottish cup last season), they are both solid hardworking teams and we have absolutely no divine right to beat them despite undoubtedly being a bigger club than both.

There isn't a team in the world, not 1, who would be disappointed with 6 points away from home in 4 days.

I think winning games is doing the trick, it does the trick for Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus, Manchester United (how many scrappy games did they win during Fergies years?) etc. You get 3 points for fighting to a 1-0 win and you get 3 points for cruising to a 5-0 win.

I'm perfectly happy with the current developments, probably aided by the fact I go home and away every week and watch the team instead of looking at results in the paper and making up my own idea of what the game was like.

I just find it hilarious you have a go for failing to convincingly beat a team who won their first 11 games... honestly I despair.

JimBHibees
03-11-2015, 05:46 PM
First of all don't be so ignorant towards Raith (won 5/5 at home before playing us) and Falkirk (very close to winning the Scottish cup last season), they are both solid hardworking teams and we have absolutely no divine right to beat them despite undoubtedly being a bigger club than both.

There isn't a team in the world, not 1, who would be disappointed with 6 points away from home in 4 days.

I think winning games is doing the trick, it does the trick for Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus, Manchester United (how many scrappy games did they win during Fergies years?) etc. You get 3 points for fighting to a 1-0 win and you get 3 points for cruising to a 5-0 win.

I'm perfectly happy with the current developments, probably aided by the fact I go home and away every week and watch the team instead of looking at results in the paper and making up my own idea of what the game was like.

I just find it hilarious you have a go for failing to convincingly beat a team who won their first 11 games... honestly I despair.

Agree trolling big time.

LaMotta
03-11-2015, 06:02 PM

So you agree with me that price isn't the issue for people not attending?

And being a one city team might have been a relevant point if Edinburgh didn't have twice the population of Sunderland!

PeeJay
03-11-2015, 06:06 PM

Get off your own high horse - we're light years away from Bayern. It's not about divine rights, RR or Falkirk: it's about HIBS and what the club aspires to be! You may well be pleased with the current developments - I'm certainly not.

bobbyhibs1983
03-11-2015, 06:12 PM
As part of Working Together I did 2 nights of phone calls. The results were analysed. The main reason for fans not renewing was a change in circumstances (eg job, family commitments etc). The funny thing about this season was that we got a lot of new buyers. It was a real disappointment so many chose not to renew. Quite a few didn't renew because they missed the boat and were unable to get their own seats as they were not committing until they knew what division we were in.

The "Petrie" factor was almost non existent, the "Butcher disillusion" still raised its head (many folk didn't go the season before despite having a ticket) and cost did not seem to be a major factor.

The 5 game ticket is not offered as it will have a major effect on season ticket sales. You will soon be able to buy a half season which is in effect a 10 game ticket! :greengrin

Ok thanks for the feedback.I guess a few of us were just unlucky in not getting phonecalls

tts great that the phone calls you made and the reasons gathered were analysed!

and in reagrds bingo70 that seems a workable idea, if not like a *free service* then prehaps a company could offer st's a discounted service sorta thing?

stoneyburn hibs
03-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Any non regular who was at ER on Sunday surely must have been encouraged by the team display. Night and day compared to a couple of seasons ago. Hopefully encouraged enough to return sooner rather than later.

emerald green
03-11-2015, 06:30 PM
The emotional investment and goodwill that Hibs had with the fans has been decreased so much in such a short space of time that it's a miracle that we still have 8000-odd attending on average as it is. The fans over the years have been done over and defeated and reduced to what they are and you can only blame those at the top for this negligence of standards.

There's truth in the above statement, but I would qualify it with a couple of points.

It's time for Hibs supporters to take on board what's happening at the club now and start looking forward, not back.

I can remember times when I've been at matches at ER when crowds were touching 4,000 or so, and the atmosphere was non existent in a ground with huge open terracing and facilities which were primitive compared to today. (I've also been in the same ground with crowds over 40,000).

Is a core support of 8,000+, in the Championship, really all that bad these days given some attendances historically? Games against teams like Alloa, Dumbarton, and Livingston etc are just not attractive fixtures. To try to put things in perspective, a Premier League match between Partick & Hearts attracted 4,700 on Saturday. How many would Partick get against Alloa say in the Championship? 2,000 tops?

The fact that Hibs are playing most of their home matches in the Championship against clubs that sometimes struggle to bring 200 fans is another factor which needs to be kept in mind when looking at total attendances at home matches. Maybe someone with stats could indicate how Hibs attendances compare, percentage-wise, with other clubs in Scotland these days? Are they up or down? What are attendances like generally?

One suggestion I would make is that TV cameras are banned from showing live matches, except cup finals, for a couple of seasons (and possibly even recorded highlights). That's not going to please some folk either, but I strongly suspect that more people will come through the turnstiles, thus creating a better atmosphere in the grounds, and also hopefully go some way to compensating clubs for loss of TV money. Without fans at football matches, football is nothing.

There's no easy answer to the question asked by the OP, but I'm sure attendances will increase if and when Hibs are promoted to the Premier League.

stantonhibby
03-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Get off your own high horse - we're light years away from Bayern. It's not about divine rights, RR or Falkirk: it's about HIBS and what the club aspires to be! You may well be pleased with the current developments - I'm certainly not.

What developments are you not pleased about ? Winning 10 games out of 11? Beating the previously unbeaten Aberdeen, beating the unbeaten Rangers ? Some folk just seem determined to find fault with Hibs.....the new one now seems to be we are winning but not with enough style.

PISTOL1875
03-11-2015, 06:49 PM

And being a one city team might have been a relevant point if Edinburgh didn't have twice the population of Sunderland!

Of course cost is a factor , it is why I won't be attending many away games this season..

As for Sunderland , comparing them to the situation here is a joke... Would their crowds be so high if there was 2 teams in that city ??

MWHIBBIES
03-11-2015, 07:01 PM
Get off your own high horse - we're light years away from Bayern. It's not about divine rights, RR or Falkirk: it's about HIBS and what the club aspires to be! You may well be pleased with the current developments - I'm certainly not. The club aspires to win games which we are currently doing, a lot.

Sammy7nil
03-11-2015, 07:12 PM

I was one of the group who no longer go including kids there were about 17 - 20 of us at peak time now only 5 go along.

Ozyhibby
03-11-2015, 07:30 PM
Keep winning games and mount a full challenge to win this league and we will have an extra 2-3k there every week by the end of the season.
Successful teams attract big crowds.

BSEJVT
03-11-2015, 07:31 PM
I was one of the group who no longer go including kids there were about 17 - 20 of us at peak time now only 5 go along.

At that time I was also taking along another 6 sometimes 8 quite separately :-)

Andy74
03-11-2015, 07:35 PM

Kids season tickets are pretty cheap. To the point where on a weekly basis it's just about free.

That said Hibs would probably miss the cash they do get from those willing to pay for those kids season tickets.

I know I buy one for my daughter but she hardly goes. It's free money for Hibs mainly!

Islington Hibs
03-11-2015, 07:46 PM
There's truth in the above statement, but I would qualify it with a couple of points.

It's time for Hibs supporters to take on board what's happening at the club now and start looking forward, not back.

I can remember times when I've been at matches at ER when crowds were touching 4,000 or so, and the atmosphere was non existent in a ground with huge open terracing and facilities which were primitive compared to today. (I've also been in the same ground with crowds over 40,000).

Is a core support of 8,000+, in the Championship, really all that bad these days given some attendances historically? Games against teams like Alloa, Dumbarton, and Livingston etc are just not attractive fixtures. To try to put things in perspective, a Premier League match between Partick & Hearts attracted 4,700 on Saturday. How many would Partick get against Alloa say in the Championship? 2,000 tops?

The fact that Hibs are playing most of their home matches in the Championship against clubs that sometimes struggle to bring 200 fans is another factor which needs to be kept in mind when looking at total attendances at home matches. Maybe someone with stats could indicate how Hibs attendances compare, percentage-wise, with other clubs in Scotland these days? Are they up or down? What are attendances like generally?

One suggestion I would make is that TV cameras are banned from showing live matches, except cup finals, for a couple of seasons (and possibly even recorded highlights). That's not going to please some folk either, but I strongly suspect that more people will come through the turnstiles, thus creating a better atmosphere in the grounds, and also hopefully go some way to compensating clubs for loss of TV money. Without fans at football matches, football is nothing.

There's no easy answer to the question asked by the OP, but I'm sure attendances will increase if and when Hibs are promoted to the Premier League.

Agree with a lot of this. Would add what can you expect if a game is at 12.30 on a Sunday and is live on TV and costs £28. 14k aint bad . If had been Saturday, 3pm and no TV and you could turn up on the day I'd bet we would be touching 17-18k. It would be better if there were many few games televised or if TV is a must please ensure a balance and not every category A game on TV.

I also agree that our hard core, even for small games is pretty consistent. Was not always thus.

Some others have suggested bigger price reductions for children. While it is true if you are committed a child's season is very cheap it is no so for the occasional visit. I have sympathy for a very low charge for children under 16 IF accompanied by a full paying parent (if it is free they don't value it- £5?). At the moment you have to be really into it to benefit for the low prices and it possibly puts of the marginal guy who takes his son for an occassional treat.

I think attempts like 'behind the goals' are good to try and create 'more of a day of it' but the food and drink offering is no where near good enough. It has been covered before but it is over-priced and very poor quality. It is about creating a good days over-all entertainment at a fair price- some way to go yet. We are brilliant at supporting local business - why not support local small scale craft brewers, pie makers and sandwiches and even cake makers and let them sell their stuff rather than the mass produced heart-attack deep-fried C@@p that is currently on offer.

Bottom line more games like Sunday will slowly see our gates creep back up- but there is no magic bullet.

Ronniekirk
03-11-2015, 07:52 PM
People need to be prepared to put the past behind them and embrace the positivity that has been engendered by Leeann s Stewardship .
Yes we are in the Championship for a second year ,but folk need to get over that ,we are where we are .
If you can afford to consider coming back even if only occasionally ,take that first step ,and if you are not impressed by Young players like Mcginn, Henderson , Cummings Mcgeoch Fyfie to name but a few ,And not impressed by the current togetherness of the squad ,I would be surprised .

We need to build on the feel good factor ,and the only way to get more players in in January is to get more fans back at games and signed up to paying direct debits .
You can't say Stubbs hasn't spent wisely bar the odd exception ,like Anier for eg who to date hasn't played .Even Feruz looks like he has more to offer ,and could come good under Stubbs And his back room staffs guidance

I know folk want to see us back in the top tier Winning cups ,in Europe etc ,but the best way to ensure that becomes reality ,is to Trust what's happening within the Club just now and back it .

Together we can achieve what we all want promotion ,but if we don't rally round we run the risk of a third year in the Championship ,and I really don't want to contemplate that ,and will do everything I can to support the club ,and recently that has included taking my wife :greengrin:confused:

marinello59
03-11-2015, 08:00 PM
People need to be prepared to put the past behind them and embrace the positivity that has been engendered by Leeann s Stewardship .
Yes we are in the Championship for a second year ,but folk need to get over that ,we are where we are .
If you can afford to consider coming back even if only occasionally ,take that first step ,and if you are not impressed by Young players like Mcginn, Henderson , Cummings Mcgeoch Fyfie to name but a few ,And not impressed by the current togetherness of the squad ,I would be surprised .

We need to build on the feel good factor ,and the only way to get more players in in January is to get more fans back at games and signed up to paying direct debits .
You can't say Stubbs hasn't spent wisely bar the odd exception ,like Anier for eg who to date hasn't played .Even Feruz looks like he has more to offer ,and could come good under Stubbs And his back room staffs guidance

I know folk want to see us back in the top tier Winning cups ,in Europe etc ,but the best way to ensure that becomes reality ,is to Trust what's happening within the Club just now and back it .

Together we can achieve what we all want promotion ,but if we don't rally round we run the risk of a third year in the Championship ,and I really don't want to contemplate that ,and will do everything I can to support the club ,and recently that has included taking my wife :greengrin:confused:
:top marks

Sammy7nil
03-11-2015, 09:27 PM
I am going tomorrow my 1st time back in a while I should warn everyone am a Jonah :greengrin

StevieBoyKdy
03-11-2015, 09:42 PM
I've honestly considered recently writing to Hibs why they don't change it to approach or target younger fans first. Change their structure for prices. Under 16s imo shouldn't need to worry about buying a ticket at full price. I would be fully behind either a 'pay what you can' or quid for under 10s

other ideas I came up with were
: if a kid ticket was purchased a £5 voucher for eg for Hibs shop given back
: 1 adult full price 1 kid free
: 12-16 years - pay what you can or a flat £5
: under 12s £1 or free on cat B games

hibs have to realise getting young fans in off the streets or off their consoles perhaps even if they are not a hibby and making them realise if they are local I'm going to watch the football today it's only £1.

i work in sales and realise all options may have other factors to consider, but getting a youth in to the ground and getting them hooked is the key step we need to be focusing on surely?

anon1875
03-11-2015, 09:51 PM
the new stadium is just so open and soulless

hibsbollah
03-11-2015, 09:53 PM
the new stadium is just so open and soulless

It's asbestos free though :aok:

NAE NOOKIE
03-11-2015, 10:00 PM
And this is just the type of post I was talking about. Rock on Uber one. Maybe one day when you have had a bit of nookie ( as your name seems to imply you have had none) and managed to impregnate someone and they in turn have kids that obviously become your grandkids you will know what I am saying. Family comes before anything in my life.

Oh, and I think I will stay posting on Hibs net thanks

Totally missed the point of my post, as did the other guy who replied to it. I'm not having a go at folk who cant afford to go, or those who have to prioritise other things because of time or financial constraints.

What I am having a go at is those who have the option to choose to do both, but come on here with the I would rather do other things with the time and money I could devote to Hibs if I wanted to, as if there is some sort of need to show everybody else up as a lesser person because they think that going to watch the team still matters. .... sort of 'uber' non attenders if you like.

Nae Nookie is a joke moniker I adopted a few years ago after a light hearted comment someone made on one of my posts. You don't know me, and that's why I wont go into a diatribe about how utterly ****ing hurtful what you said in part of your above post was to me.

LaMotta
03-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Of course cost is a factor , it is why I won't be attending many away games this season..

As for Sunderland , comparing them to the situation here is a joke... Would their crowds be so high if there was 2 teams in that city ??

Haha do you really need me to explain the second point? Edinburgh's population is twice the size of Sunderland's roughly. So if you half Edinburgh's population and remove one of the two Edinburgh teams then you are left with the same population as Sunderland and only one team, just like Sunderland.

In addition to that Sunderland get 4 times as many fans through the gate as we do.....

Jdawg
03-11-2015, 10:13 PM
not sure what hibs offer for family season tickets, if there isn't anything then maybe 1/2 adults and 1/2/3 kids there could be a fairly large reduction on the kids st's.

I mean this with the greatest respect to low/lower income households, they could offer season tickets (adults, kids, or families) at a substantially reduced rate.

I don't have kids but work full time and study part time (£350pm for my course) therefore I can only afford a student ticket (go to 2/3 of the games due to my studies).

gegs70
03-11-2015, 10:22 PM
There are a number of reasons cost..especially if you have a family. What I am interested in is what big companies would do to encourage the fans to come back. The club should have a database they could try to encourage old fans back with a money off deal, help if they are on a low income etc surely the point is to put bums on seats?

Ronniekirk
03-11-2015, 10:38 PM
Totally missed the point of my post, as did the other guy who replied to it. I'm not having a go at folk who cant afford to go, or those who have to prioritise other things because of time or financial constraints.

What I am having a go at is those who have the option to choose to do both, but come on here with the I would rather do other things with the time and money I could devote to Hibs if I wanted to, as if there is some sort of need to show everybody else up as a lesser person because they think that going to watch the team still matters. .... sort of 'uber' non attenders if you like.

Nae Nookie is a joke moniker I adopted a few years ago after a light hearted comment someone made on one of my posts. You don't know me, and that's why I wont go into a diatribe about how utterly ****ing hurtful what you said in part of your above post was to me.

Well replied Nae Nook .i can actually remember when you changed to your joke moniker ,thought it was a brave choice at the time but agree Nae need for that to been used against you in the way it was

matty_f
03-11-2015, 10:58 PM
Value is more important than price, if people feel it's worth it then they'd view £28 as cheap. Right now, imho, Hibs are good value for money.
We've been competitive in every match this season, beating some very good sides, and winning more often than not. Far more often.
We have some of the country's top young talent on show (McGinn & Cummings), and other quality players all across the squad.
We have a cracking manager who is doing all he can to take us back to the top flight, and a healthy core support who have backed the club through thick and thin.
The club deserves to have people coming back now, imho.
We are good value, Sunday's match was really entertaining, edge of your seat stuff, the buzz i had at the end of the match was incredible. Likewise when we beat Aberdeen. And the Yams.

gegs70
03-11-2015, 11:22 PM
Value is more important than price, if people feel it's worth it then they'd view £28 as cheap. Right now, imho, Hibs are good value for money.
We've been competitive in every match this season, beating some very good sides, and winning more often than not. Far more often.
We have some of the country's top young talent on show (McGinn & Cummings), and other quality players all across the squad.
We have a cracking manager who is doing all he can to take us back to the top flight, and a healthy core support who have backed the club through thick and thin.
The club deserves to have people coming back now, imho.
We are good value, Sunday's match was really entertaining, edge of your seat stuff, the buzz i had at the end of the match was incredible. Likewise when we beat Aberdeen. And the Yams.

Agree that the Hibs v Rangers game was worth every penny. But some people may view paying £28 (or morer if you have kids) as excessive given its on TV and the Kick off time. How do we get supporters back that have left ( I often think that those that leave that went week in week out wont come back regularly). How can we improve the whole matchday experience, can we try to encourage lapsed supporters back with an offer over the season such as 20% off tickets for December, buy 1 season ticket get a kids one free? Just thinking out load...

Slicer
04-11-2015, 05:07 AM
I've said this before but a kids ST in the FF lower works out at about £1.39 a game. That's as good as free to all intents and purposes. On a 9 month payment plan a parent and child could get to games for just over £42 a month, that's actually less than a paying adult walking up to 2 games a month and a child with them getting in free.

:agree:

Kids 0-11 years old - £1.39 per game
Youths 12-17 years old - £4.72 per game

Was this not marketed properly last season? I thought it was. Maybe they should focus on the price per game or price per month.

I'd imagine it will be similar prices for the half season ticket which will be available to purchase for Christmas.

Slicer
04-11-2015, 05:17 AM
I noticed poor atmosphere and scarcely populated stadium mentioned.

What are people's thoughts on closing some sections, or even the whole south stand?

Aberdeen shut the top tier of the stand behind the goals and I think it generated a better atmosphere. Celtic have closed theirs too. That's the top two stadiums, capacity wise, in the top league.

SeanWilson
04-11-2015, 06:45 AM
As a follow on from my posts yesterday.... Came in to some money yesterday that was completely unexpected... First thought was.... Hibs under the lights at ER! Tickets purchased and I can't wait. It's strokes for folks I think. I'd go and see hibs if they still played under Jim Duffy if I could afford it every week...

SeanWilson
04-11-2015, 06:48 AM
:agree:

Kids 0-11 years old - £1.39 per game
Youths 12-17 years old - £4.72 per game

Was this not marketed properly last season? I thought it was. Maybe they should focus on the price per game or price per month.

I'd imagine it will be similar prices for the half season ticket which will be available to purchase for Christmas.

If it was, I completely missed it (and I'm an ex season ticket holder who still gets emails).

When it's put like that in black and white, it does hit home... At those kind of prices and a payment plan on offer... I may look in to the ST option for the family.

Sudds_1
04-11-2015, 07:08 AM

GGTTH

That bit more or less sums it up for me - old gits like me have seen it all before . That why I have a rather more sanguine view of my team, and temper my expectations accordingly. Only difference I guess between us is that I use my ST and get to the game as often as possible. No doesn't break my heart if I can't make it....but that is how my team has conditioned me...and I suppose many others of my era.

Stokesy's on fire
04-11-2015, 07:10 AM

What are people's thoughts on closing some sections, or even the whole south stand?

Aberdeen shut the top tier of the stand behind the goals and I think it generated a better atmosphere. Celtic have closed theirs too. That's the top two stadiums, capacity wise, in the top league.

Aberdeens stadium is still about as noisy as a library.

People look for excuses not to come back often using the costs of tickets as an excuse. free admission wouldn't bring some of the excuse makers back.

Bishop Hibee
04-11-2015, 07:17 AM
Promotion.

Slicer
04-11-2015, 07:25 AM
If it was, I completely missed it (and I'm an ex season ticket holder who still gets emails).

When it's put like that in black and white, it does hit home... At those kind of prices and a payment plan on offer... I may look in to the ST option for the family.

:thumbsup:

Lucius Apuleius
04-11-2015, 07:31 AM

I obviously have no idea why you changed your name to Nae Nookie and why would I? I apologise for the unintentional hurt I caused, however I would say that allusion to any user name could cause hurt if people don't know the background to its use.

Lucius Apuleius
04-11-2015, 07:34 AM
Well replied Nae Nook .i can actually remember when you changed to your joke moniker ,thought it was a brave choice at the time but agree Nae need for that to been used against you in the way it was

As I said, it was not used maliciously.Why would anyone know that someone had changed their user name for a particular reason unless that reason is made clear?

TheFamous1875
04-11-2015, 08:20 AM

Do people really go to a competitive football match to marvel at the opposition players? I'd understand that in a friendly but in a competitive game I couldn't care less if the opposition included Sergio Aguero or Billy Gibson.

Haha do you really need me to explain the second point? Edinburgh's population is twice the size of Sunderland's roughly. So if you half Edinburgh's population and remove one of the two Edinburgh teams then you are left with the same population as Sunderland and only one team, just like Sunderland.

In addition to that Sunderland get 4 times as many fans through the gate as we do.....

I don't know if many other cities in the UK can boast what Edinburgh has to offer for options in how to spend your hard earned pay at the weekend. This is what Hibs are up against every weekend that most clubs in the UK are not.

Brightside
04-11-2015, 08:42 AM
Its looking very poor for tonight....sub 10000. Its not on TV. So the bottom line is that those that can actually afford to go are simply not that fussed about going to watch Hibs on a Wed night in the rain. I honestly don't think the club can do anything else.

JimBHibees
04-11-2015, 08:48 AM
Its looking very poor for tonight....sub 10000. Its not on TV. So the bottom line is that those that can actually afford to go are simply not that fussed about going to watch Hibs on a Wed night in the rain. I honestly don't think the club can do anything else.

Meant to be dry at kick off time and think there will be a significant walk up crowd tonight the team deserves it in what is a huge game for the club.

Carheenlea
04-11-2015, 08:55 AM

Hopefully there will be a lot of walk ups.
For me, a Cup Quarter Final on a mild, dark November night at Easter Road under the floodlights is hugely attractive. The fact we are on a fine run of form and have just enjoyed a season-changing result against Rangers makes it even more appealing. No TV either, and let's face it, £20 is probably worth it alone to avoid listening to Sportsounds coverage.

Steve-O
04-11-2015, 09:22 AM
From games of football and other sports events I've been to in various parts of the world, £28 for second tier football is not good value, end of story. That's the sort of price you'd pay for a final around these parts. I paid about double that to attend 4 x Scotland Rugby World Cup games (in total, not each) and less than that to attend a cricket World Cup final this year in front of 35,000 people. Football matches here cost approx $28, about £12.

If those kids season tickets are so cheap, I'd say for this season they'd have been as well to just make it kids under 12 go completely free.

Stadium is not the best (for atmosphere) but compared to the big circular stadium I have to watch games in here, it's amazing to be so close to the action!

NAE NOOKIE
04-11-2015, 10:43 AM
I obviously have no idea why you changed your name to Nae Nookie and why would I? I apologise for the unintentional hurt I caused, however I would say that allusion to any user name could cause hurt if people don't know the background to its use.

Accepted LA ...... That's what I get for changing to a username that sets me up.

It was late on and I over reacted. Just to be clear, my username is in no way an accurate reflection of my circumstances past or present :greengrin

HappyHanlon
04-11-2015, 10:58 AM

Must be crap watching current develpments from Berlin - the football i've seen us play for large parts this season is very encouraging and we're in fantastic form.

Allant1981
04-11-2015, 11:14 AM
Dont think there is much else the club can do, im one of the ones who goes to games when i can be bothered now. Football just seems to have taken a back seat in my life and once you get into the habit of not going it hard to get back into, maybe when the wee lad wants to start going ill go back every week but not sure

LaMotta
04-11-2015, 11:54 AM

Closing the top tiers would be worth a try, at least for league cup games as a trial. Wouldn't want the South closed as you need fans on all sides of pitch.

The problem is we built a stadium that is too big for us.

The_Exile
04-11-2015, 12:00 PM
I think it's just a sign of the times, everything is going up price wise apart from folks wages, I haven't had a pay rise in around 7 years but my shopping is about 20-30% more expensive as are various other things (as everyone with kids knows, the older they get, the more expensive they get!!!!), I couldn't afford the lump sum for a season ticket this year for me and my 3 boys and £58 a pop for a home game is just too much. We're in "pick and choose" territory at the moment and there'll be thousands of families like mine in the exact same boat. Unfortunately going to the football is near the top of the "luxuries" list that gets axed when the belts need tightened, I don't think there's much else Hibs can do to entice folk back, perhaps a "family" season ticket which means you can bring along 2 or 3 kids for nothing with an adult season ticket or something similar?

Having said that, we were there on Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves :greengrin

Gatecrasher
04-11-2015, 12:08 PM
Closing the top tiers would be worth a try, at least for league cup games as a trial. Wouldn't want the South closed as you need fans on all sides of pitch.

nah, I'd argue the stadium is about right for us. Yes the majority of games we won't fill it but it gives us the chance in big games to have as big a crowd as possible and even more worth it on the occasions we fill it. if ER held 15,000 that would be too small, Sunday would have been more or less a sellout which many considered a poor crowd.

NAE NOOKIE
04-11-2015, 12:08 PM

The current developments are:

A CEO who in the space of 18 months has proved beyond doubt that she knows what she's doing, from fan engagement to telling Sevco to GTF over the Scott Allan saga.

A manager new to the job who has improved since he arrived and who tactically out thought Sevco messiah Mark Warburton on Sunday. I would also say his man management appears beyond question.

A squad of players that will easily be able to compete at Premiership level if given the chance, currently on a run of 11 games unbeaten and only a single draw stops that being an 11 game winning streak .... during that run we have beaten the team at the top of the premiership and a team which had won all of its league games this season.

A signing policy which has persuaded the likes of John McGinn to join the club on a 4 year contract ..... from what he has shown so far the 100K it cost us is beginning to look like the bargain of the century .... the guy is without doubt a big game player.

The share issue, which even if it never achieves 51% fan ownership of the club will shortly reach a stage where fans in the shape of HSL will always have a say in the board room, with the voting rights to back them up.

Are we certain to go up? .... no

Are we unbeatable? ..... no

Can we improve? ..... yes

But, if you cant see the huge improvement that has taken place around Hibs in the last 18 months and admit that they are striving mightily to deliver promotion and the changes on and off the park required to get us back to challenging at the right end of the right league, then I'm gonna sneak over to Berlin, break into your house and put a pea under your mattress :greengrin

LaMotta
04-11-2015, 12:27 PM
nah, I'd argue the stadium is about right for us. Yes the majority of games we won't fill it but it gives us the chance in big games to have as big a crowd as possible and even more worth it on the occasions we fill it. if ER held 15,000 that would be too small, Sunday would have been more or less a sellout which many considered a poor crowd.

We have filled it once in five years. That's not enough to justify the thousands of empty seats on every other occasion. We have had just over 18k once as well, against Hamilton.

Of course 15000 would be too small - 18000 would have been about right. If we weren't going to give extra seats to Celtc, Huns and Yams then there was little point in building a 20k capacity stadium as there cant have been much evidence over the last 30 years of us needing nearly 17k home seats.

Lucius Apuleius
04-11-2015, 12:43 PM
Accepted LA ...... That's what I get for changing to a username that sets me up.

It was late on and I over reacted. Just to be clear, my username is in no way an accurate reflection of my circumstances past or present :greengrin

😶 thanks. As to your last sentence, I wish I could say the same.

Septimus
04-11-2015, 01:40 PM

Exactly. If kids don,t come the club has no future

Smartie
04-11-2015, 03:32 PM

Is the top tier of the South Stand not effectively closed as it is?

I can only remember there being people in there last Sunday and at the Aberdeen game.

Barring home cup draws against Rangers, Celtic, Hearts or possibly Aberdeen I'd be very surprised to see us need it again this season other than the final Rangers league game.

PeeJay
04-11-2015, 03:42 PM
Must be crap watching current develpments from Berlin - the football i've seen us play for large parts this season is very encouraging and we're in fantastic form.

Well ... I don't see it that way myself, and I don't think the "fantastic" football you claim to be watching is going to bring the lapsed fans back in any significant numbers, there must be a reason people are not falling for the "everything in the garden is rosy" view some of you on here have? The original poster asked what would attract fans back to ER, I gave my view, if the football and developments are as "fantastic" as you and others claim it is, then what is it that is stopping people from coming?

Being in Berlin is not "crap" BTW, the fact I watch from Berlin by paying my season ticket for the clubs TV service should actually show you that I still care about the team, but it seems unless you go along with a particular view on here you are "trolling" or worse probably, so I'll refrain from commenting any more on this site and leave you to the "fantastic" football you and others are enjoying it, long may you do so. Here's to a victory this evening ...

Gatecrasher
04-11-2015, 04:09 PM
We have filled it once in five years. That's not enough to justify the thousands of empty seats on every other occasion. We have had just over 18k once as well, against Hamilton.

Of course 15000 would be too small - 18000 would have been about right. If we weren't going to give extra seats to Celtc, Huns and Yams then there was little point in building a 20k capacity stadium as there cant have been much evidence over the last 30 years of us needing nearly 17k home seats.

So if we hit a good spell and start filling the place we would be missing out due to a short sighted stadium upgrade, imo we have been unlucky with the East being developed around the same time as the clubs worst slump arguably of all time.

LaMotta
04-11-2015, 04:28 PM
So if we hit a good spell and start filling the place we would be missing out due to a short sighted stadium upgrade, imo we have been unlucky with the East being developed around the same time as the clubs worst slump arguably of all time.

We wouldn't be though would we, because even in previous good spells (Skol cup 91, McLeish, Mowbray, League Cup 07) there hasn't been the need for that many seats.

LaMotta
04-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Is the top tier of the South Stand not effectively closed as it is?

I can only remember there being people in there last Sunday and at the Aberdeen game.

Barring home cup draws against Rangers, Celtic, Hearts or possibly Aberdeen I'd be very surprised to see us need it again this season other than the final Rangers league game.

Think so mate. Hopefully we might need it for a promotion party :)

Smartie
04-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Think so mate. Hopefully we might need it for a promotion party :)

Hope so. :party:

I was in there for the last one right enough.

BSEJVT
04-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Well I have bitten the bullet and am going tonight with my 2 grown up children

Shamed into it :greengrin

hibsbollah
04-11-2015, 04:51 PM
We wouldn't be though would we, because even in previous good spells (Skol cup 91, McLeish, Mowbray, League Cup 07) there hasn't been the need for that many seats.

But that supposes things will never ever improve! I think we need to accept we have spent the money expanding the stadium, it hasn't damaged us financially, and personally I like being upwardly mobile while looking down on our unfortunate neighbours with their asbestos ridden wee hovel
I sound like a right Tory there :greengrin

Islington Hibs
04-11-2015, 09:07 PM
11891 - is a very good start.

and I suspect virtually all went home happy.

:flag:

Ryan91
04-11-2015, 09:09 PM
11891 - is a very good start.

and I suspect virtually all went home happy.

:flag:

10400 certainly did, but not so sure about the other 1400

Borderhibbie76
04-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Great to see a decent crown 2nite..any anyone coming back for first time in a while must have left impressed

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Brightside
04-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Well done to all those at the game. Great atmosphere. If you don't go and see this team you are missing out.

Famous Fiver
04-11-2015, 09:52 PM
Performances and results will bring the crowds back. No question.

If semi is against Ross County or St Johnstone we'll take 20,000 no problem, Celtic I'm not so sure.

Livi on 17th will be well over 10,000, with the Livi contingent arriving on a tandem

BSEJVT
04-11-2015, 09:54 PM
Well I enjoyed that !

Won at a canter and the gulf in class between the 2 teams was huge.

We have some really good footballers now and it's good to see Hanlon & Stevenson who have been part of some truly dire Hibs teams playing at such a high standard.

Hibs didn't have a failure tonight and look to have developed the resilience that results and confidence brings to see out games.

Could have scored a hatful with a but of luck/ better finishing.

A joy to watch going forward

GGTTH

Jonnyboy
04-11-2015, 09:56 PM
Well I enjoyed that !

Won at a canter and the gulf in class between the 2 teams was huge.

We have some really good footballers now and it's good to see Hanlon & Stevenson who have been part of some truly dire Hibs teams playing at such a high standard.

Hibs didn't have a failure tonight and look to have developed the resilience that results and confidence brings to see out games.

Could have scored a hatful with a but of luck/ better finishing.

A joy to watch going forward

GGTTH

Delighted you enjoyed it :thumbsup:

Coming back for more in future games? :wink:

givescotlandfreedom
04-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Well ... I don't see it that way myself, and I don't think the "fantastic" football you claim to be watching is going to bring the lapsed fans back in any significant numbers, there must be a reason people are not falling for the "everything in the garden is rosy" view some of you on here have? The original poster asked what would attract fans back to ER, I gave my view, if the football and developments are as "fantastic" as you and others claim it is, then what is it that is stopping people from coming?

Being in Berlin is not "crap" BTW, the fact I watch from Berlin by paying my season ticket for the clubs TV service should actually show you that I still care about the team, but it seems unless you go along with a particular view on here you are "trolling" or worse probably, so I'll refrain from commenting any more on this site and leave you to the "fantastic" football you and others are enjoying it, long may you do so. Here's to a victory this evening ...

Tonight's performance was excellent. Good football and never in doubt from the off.

My_Wife_Camille
04-11-2015, 10:01 PM
More fans there tonight than what attended the Hearts Celtic game last week

BSEJVT
04-11-2015, 10:18 PM
Delighted you enjoyed it :thumbsup:

Coming back for more in future games? :wink:

I think so :-)

Anyone want to buy 3 used golf club subscriptions?

Jonnyboy
I think so :-)

Anyone want to buy 3 used golf club subscriptions?

:greengrin

Billy Whizz
More fans there tonight than what attended the Hearts Celtic game last week

Is that a fact😄

Alfred E Newman
04-11-2015, 10:19 PM
Contrary to a lot of the pish on this thread, the performance tonight was fantastic, the atmosphere in our so called sole less stadium was great and probably most importantly a lot of non regular attenders were back tonight.
Yes United were poor but that was a really good nights entertainment.

HappyHanlon
04-11-2015, 10:20 PM

Enjoy it tonight? :wink:

PatHead
04-11-2015, 10:25 PM
Contrary to a lot of the pish on this thread, the performance tonight was fantastic, the atmosphere in our so called sole less stadium was great and probably most importantly a lot of non regular attenders were back tonight.

Even the West Upper started a few chants.

Billy Whizz
04-11-2015, 10:29 PM
Even the West Upper started a few chants.

I remember when we had the old stand, they used to start the "Hibees"'chant, think they also did this on Sunday

Alfred E Newman
04-11-2015, 10:31 PM
I remember when we had the old stand, they used to start the "Hibees"'chant, think they also did this on Sunday

Ah yes, and the stamping feet! Mind you, they also used to start the slow hand clap when the manager was on his last legs.

emerald green
04-11-2015, 10:36 PM

I've always thought that the atmosphere at games under the floodlights at ER is brilliant. Especially on nights like tonight when Hibs win of course!

I've great memories of some famous Hibs victories under the floodlights at ER, especially in European competitions. Games against Leeds United, Liverpool, Napoli, Hadjuk Split, AEK Athens, and Real Madrid, just to name a few.

eastterrace
04-11-2015, 10:43 PM
Ah yes, and the stamping feet! Mind you, they also used to start the slow hand clap when the manager was on his last legs.

ah the slow handclap now they were the days, non of this your getting sacked in the morning chants back then, if you heard the slow hand clap you knew you were on your last legs.

PatHead
04-11-2015, 10:46 PM
ah the slow handclap now they were the days, non of this your getting sacked in the morning chants back then, if you heard the slow hand clap you knew you were on your last legs.

Talking of which I bumped into Alex Millar tonight. Nice man.

He was there with Ian Murray.

Ronniekirk
04-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Talking of which I bumped into Alex Millar tonight. Nice man.

He was there with Ian Murray.

a nice man he may be Pat but he will now be trying to plot our downfall on Saturday and he is a wylie old fox with good experience St Nitter showed against Rangers a few weeks ago they can up thier game and this could now be a more difficult match for us with his arrival

Scottie
04-11-2015, 10:55 PM
:agree: They were a noisy lot above the home enclosure, great to hear the Hibees chant back again.

PatHead
04-11-2015, 10:56 PM
a nice man he may be Pat but he will now be trying to plot our downfall on Saturday and he is a wylie old fox with good experience St Nitter showed against Rangers a few weeks ago they can up thier game and this could now be a more difficult match for us with his arrival

Don't disagree, wish he hadn't been appointed until next week.

GreenCastle
04-11-2015, 10:58 PM
Don't forget it wasn't that long ago we sold out the home end for the new years derby...

The fans are still there - winning and keep winning will bring them back!

Add a trophy win in there and you would see another boost to the club.

matty_f
04-11-2015, 11:00 PM
Anyone who still harbours doubts about the atmosphere with the new East would have to think again on the back of the last two games.
Easter Road is an amazing place.

Billy Whizz
04-11-2015, 11:02 PM
Anyone who still harbours doubts about the atmosphere with the new East would have to think again on the back of the last two games.
Easter Road is an amazing place.

Section 43 or whatever we call them now, were top notch tonight, along with the rest of the Hibs crowd