PDA

View Full Version : Alex Miller to St Mirren

Tom Hart RIP
03-11-2015, 05:43 AM
Alex Miller to help Ian Murray at St Mirren. I was delighted when he left but looking back he was better than most of his successors. Signed some very good players.

fat freddy
03-11-2015, 06:10 AM
The team he built around the 91-94 era weren't too shabby. Despite the reputation Miller had for being too cautious his teams had a lot of decent attacking players like Mikey Weir, Kevin McAllister, Michael O'Neil, Darren Jackson, Keith Wright and Pat McGinlay. I loved watching Hibs during that period

ALF TUPPER
03-11-2015, 06:21 AM
Kenny McDowall as assistant BEEB Scotland reporting.

Forza Fred
03-11-2015, 06:25 AM
Could Mr Murray be in a wee bit of trouble.....or this his idea?

heretoday
03-11-2015, 06:29 AM
Has he lost the dressing room?

Bostonhibby
03-11-2015, 07:29 AM
The team he built around the 91-94 era weren't too shabby. Despite the reputation Miller had for being too cautious his teams had a lot of decent attacking players like Mikey Weir, Kevin McAllister, Michael O'Neil, Darren Jackson, Keith Wright and Pat McGinlay. I loved watching Hibs during that period
Miller did a great job at a very difficult time for the club. One of only three trophy winning managers I've seen at Hibs.

Good enough to hold a coaching position at Liverpool.

Winston Ingram
03-11-2015, 07:31 AM

Miller's caused the 22 in row. Every derby he'd come up with some mental never tried before formation that never worked.

Alan62
03-11-2015, 07:32 AM
He was at the game on Sunday. Saw him chatting to some folks outside. He comes over as a grumpy sort but he's a decent enough guy and he knows his football.

Golden Bear
03-11-2015, 07:50 AM

:agree:

We had some cracking players in that era but I don't they ever achieved their full potential.

Kevin McAllister was an out and out attacking player who was often asked to play on the wrong wing and "track back" which in my eyes used to reduce his effectiveness. I remember I used to blow a few gaskets at the time!

lord bunberry
03-11-2015, 07:56 AM
:agree:

We had some cracking players in that era but I don't they ever achieved their full potential.

Kevin McAllister was an out and out attacking player who was often asked to play on the wrong wing and "track back" which in my eyes used to reduce his effectiveness. I remember I used to blow a few gaskets at the time!

I agree, if he had let them open up a bit more like he did the season we won the cup he might have been up there with the best hibs managers.

Peevemor
03-11-2015, 07:58 AM
Miller's caused the 22 in row. Every derby he'd come up with some mental never tried before formation that never worked.

I was at nearly every one of those matches, and there are a few that we were unlucky not to win.

Miller had his faults, the main one in the end being that he'd been at ER too long, but he also brought us through one of the darkest periods in our history.

He's well respected at all levels in football and, if the parameters are clear from the outset, he could be invaluable to Ian Murray & St Mirren.

Peevemor
03-11-2015, 08:00 AM
I agree, if he had let them open up a bit more like he did the season we won the cup he might have been up there with the best hibs managers.

At times Crunchie and O'Neill swapped wings to suit themselves - something that most opponents struggled with.

AndyM_1875
03-11-2015, 08:03 AM

If Miller had pursued coaching ambitions in England in the early 90s after the Skol Cup win and Anderlecht and even the cruel loss to the Huns at Parkhead he would have been held up as a hero. Instead he plodded on to 1996 with a team that atrophied eventually sliding towards a relegation that became inevitable in 98 under the hapless Duffy.

Peevemor
03-11-2015, 08:11 AM
He was at the game on Sunday. Saw him chatting to some folks outside. He comes over as a grumpy sort but he's a decent enough guy and he knows his football.

I went to a couple of dinners at ER when he was there. He never tried to be a comedian when he spoke, but had (has?) a very dry sense of humour which I quite liked.

Steve-O
03-11-2015, 08:42 AM
Miller had about 3 good seasons out of 10.

jgl07
03-11-2015, 09:02 AM
Alex Miller always had an eye for a potentially good player including David Platt when at Crewe and Paul Lambert at Motherwell. Unfortunately the board would not always back him up with the funds needed.

His is tactics were always too defensive and remember that a large number of the matches in Hearts' 22 in a row were goalless draws.

Latterly he he was really losing the plot particularly when he played Micky Weir as a target man with his back to goal. It was embarrassing to watch. He also played Jo Tortolano at full back when half fit and struggling to even run.

TheFamous1875
03-11-2015, 09:36 AM
Alex Miller always had an eye for a potentially good player including David Platt when at Crewe and Paul Lambert at Motherwell. Unfortunately the board would not always back him up with the funds needed.

His is tactics were always too defensive and remember that a large number of the matches in Hearts' 22 in a row were goalless draws.

Latterly he he was really losing the plot particularly when he played Micky Weir as a target man with his back to goal. It was embarrassing to watch. He also played Jo Tortolano at full back when half fit and struggling to even run.

Christ, can you imagine? :rolleyes:

Can't remember who, but I'm sure it was either Keith Wright or David Farrell or someone else from that era that was interviewed by the Monday Night Fitba boys and alluded to Miller possibly being too cautious in his approach to derbies as being the main source for our foul record at that time. Someone also mentioned that as a coach he was incredible but was sorely lacking in his man management of players (I actually think this was Mickey Weir? Possibly at a talk at a St Pats' night at the Hibs Club?), which would probably explain why he had such success at Liverpool but nothing on that level as a #1 main man.

Sorry I cannae mind where I heard this but it's from somewhere along those lines.

Baader
03-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Bringing in 40 year old Ray Wilkins was a sure sign your numbers up. Shouldn't have been there by then.

Definitely had a good eye for a player before then but remember seeing guys like McCallister being made to drop back into his own box to defend opposition corners with no-one any further forward than the edge of the penalty area...

cabbageandribs1875
03-11-2015, 09:48 AM
nice to read a little bit respect for alex miller on here, he's taken some amount of stick from some posters on here over the years, no coach lasts at a club like liverpool for nine years without a lot of knowledge about the game :agree:

Kato
03-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Christ, can you imagine? :rolleyes:

Can't remember who, but I'm sure it was either Keith Wright or David Farrell or someone else from that era that was interviewed by the Monday Night Fitba boys and alluded to Miller possibly being too cautious in his approach to derbies as being the main source for our foul record at that time. Someone also mentioned that as a coach he was incredible but was sorely lacking in his man management of players (I actually think this was Mickey Weir? Possibly at a talk at a St Pats' night at the Hibs Club?), which would probably explain why he had such success at Liverpool but nothing on that level as a #1 main man.

Sorry I cannae mind where I heard this but it's from somewhere along those lines.

John Burridge said he gave all opposition teams far too much respect and talked them up too often in the week leading up to games. Thought it was poor for confidence.

When he did put attacking players on the park he left them to their own devices - Michael O'Neil said he was more less given a free role in his time at Hibs. So all that attacking play was off the cuff.

Miller just didn't have the tactical nous to make it as a really great manager. We've been through worse but some seasons were very very boring when he was with us, whole seasons of boredom.

Smartie
03-11-2015, 10:00 AM
There can be no doubt that we had some poor times under Alex Miller.

But ultimately I'll always be very grateful to him for what he achieved at Easter Road. He won a cup as manager(one of only two men who are currently still alive to do so?) played some cracking football at times and quite significantly never got us relegated. Given the "off the field" distractions that went on at times during his reign I think that can be considered to be a huge achievement - he did well to shield the players from all of that.

He could have achieved more - he was way too cautious at times, his derby record was poor, I've heard a lot of stories about awful man-management and he stayed on too long but I think he was overall very good for us. We should always be grateful for the fact that he is one of the most hardworking and dedicated men we've ever had work for us.

His appointment could be a masterstroke tbh - I think that Collins, Mixu and Yogi could all have benefited from having someone like Miller support them during their time in charge at Easter Road.

jdships
03-11-2015, 10:01 AM
I got to know AM very well during his time at ER and met him on numerous times outside football and thoroughly enjoyed his company
Dry sense of humour and was never guilty of dishing the dirt " off the record "
He's well respected at all levels in football and a real student of the game
His record keeping re young players was phenominal .
Good luck to him with IM the winner here methinks :greengrin

JimBHibees
03-11-2015, 10:12 AM
There can be no doubt that we had some poor times under Alex Miller.

But ultimately I'll always be very grateful to him for what he achieved at Easter Road. He won a cup as manager(one of only two men who are currently still alive to do so?) played some cracking football at times and quite significantly never got us relegated. Given the "off the field" distractions that went on at times during his reign I think that can be considered to be a huge achievement - he did well to shield the players from all of that.

He could have achieved more - he was way too cautious at times, his derby record was poor, I've heard a lot of stories about awful man-management and he stayed on too long but I think he was overall very good for us. We should always be grateful for the fact that he is one of the most hardworking and dedicated men we've ever had work for us.

His appointment could be a masterstroke tbh - I think that Collins, Mixu and Yogi could all have benefited from having someone like Miller support them during their time in charge at Easter Road.

Very good point I think. Seems a slightly strange thing for Murray to sack his assistant and then bring in someone like Miller almost admitting you are struggling with the job to some extent though another way would be to see it as strengthening his managerial team. Think Miller knows his stuff and over time will do well hopefully not this week.

mjhibby
03-11-2015, 10:38 AM
I went to a couple of dinners at ER when he was there. He never tried to be a comedian when he spoke, but had (has?) a very dry sense of humour which I quite liked.

Met him twice in my old job. Was very personable and seemed to like a laugh. He did buy some cracking players and it's been only now you realise how good the likes of oniel,crunchie,Darren Jackson,Keith Wright etc were. Never quite got the right blend in the team and we were always a couple of players short of becoming a top team.

Smartie
03-11-2015, 11:09 AM
Met him twice in my old job. Was very personable and seemed to like a laugh. He did buy some cracking players and it's been only now you realise how good the likes of oniel,crunchie,Darren Jackson,Keith Wright etc were. Never quite got the right blend in the team and we were always a couple of players short of becoming a top team.

That 91-94 period we were never far away from being a superb team.

We actually had good options and cover up front, out wide and midfield (maybe short of a top class central midfielder to play with McGinlay).

For all Miller liked to be defensive I always thought he was short of a really good central defensive partner for Hunter (although Tweed and McIntyre had their moments) and our squad players for whenever our fullbacks or central defenders were out injured were poor.

The goalkeeper in that side was one of the best we'll ever have though.

There were some good players in Scottish football at that time though - look at the team Rangers had, Motherwell had a decent side, United had a good side that won the cup in '94, for all they were a weaker team Celtic still had players like McStay and Collins, Aberdeen always had a handful of very good players such as Jess.

And Hearts were pish, which makes our poor record against them all the more frustrating.

bigwheel
03-11-2015, 11:29 AM
That can only be viewed as a great signing by St Mirren - will undoubtedly make them better.

I'd expect an immediate reaction - will make Saturday that but harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HappyHanlon
03-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Murray's gone if he doesn't get at least 4pts from next 2 games.

Out his depth and, according to a couple of St Mirren supporting colleagues, he's made some really bizarre decisions throughout his time at the club (getting rid of Teale, refusing to speak to John McGinn :thumbsup::thumbsup: and suprisingly rehiring Stephen Thompson).

They think Miller is there to assess team initially and step up to eventually replace Murray.

Tom Hart RIP
03-11-2015, 12:19 PM
If you look at a list of long serving players who have played for Hibs, a fair number played under AM. Miller, McIntyre, geebsie, Mitch, Mcginlay , mickey, Kieth etc. suspect all or most played over 200 times

lucky
03-11-2015, 12:25 PM
Never liked Miller, he claimed he was unpopular with the fans cos he was an ex Rangers player but the football under was generally poor. That been said he gave me my greatest day as Hibs fan with the Skol Cup win.

lord bunberry
03-11-2015, 12:28 PM
Is there any evidence that bringing in an experienced ex manager to help out a struggling young manager has ever worked? I can think of a couple of examples of it happenening (Billy McNeil with Jim Duffy) but none of it ever working. The young manager always ends up being sacked.

Smartie
03-11-2015, 12:38 PM
I don't think the idea of Ian Murray being sacked and replaced by Alex Miller sits right with me.

"Miller for Murray" just doesn't have the right ring to it?

:wink:

Diclonius
03-11-2015, 12:41 PM
I don't think the idea of Ian Murray being sacked and replaced by Alex Miller sits right with me.

"Miller for Murray" just doesn't have the right ring to it?

:wink:

I know. It's so 2011.

JimBHibees
03-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Is there any evidence that bringing in an experienced ex manager to help out a struggling young manager has ever worked? I can think of a couple of examples of it happenening (Billy McNeil with Jim Duffy) but none of it ever working. The young manager always ends up being sacked.

Yep didnt exactly work well with Danny Lennon and Tommy Craig, though appreciate there was probably a different relationship involved.

greenlex
03-11-2015, 01:55 PM
Alex Smith at Falkirk. He's been there a good few years and saw managers move on to bigger things.

lord bunberry
03-11-2015, 02:01 PM
Alex Smith at Falkirk. He's been there a good few years and saw managers move on to bigger things.

Did he come in to help out a manager who was struggling? I thought he was more of a director of football.

greenlex
03-11-2015, 04:55 PM
Did he come in to help out a manager who was struggling? I thought he was more of a director of football.

I might be wrong but I'm sure he started in an assistant type roll to either Yogi or Pressley who both moved on to bigger clubs.

lord bunberry
03-11-2015, 04:56 PM
I might be wrong but I'm sure he started in an assistant type roll to either Yogi or Pressley who both moved on to bigger clubs.

I just had a look and it was Eddie May.

greenlex
03-11-2015, 04:59 PM
I just had a look and it was Eddie May.

Kind of bows my theory out the water regards moving on to bigger and better tho.👍

greenlad
03-11-2015, 05:26 PM

Terry Venables came in to assist Bryan Robson at Middlesbrough and helped keep them up.

Alfred E Newman
03-11-2015, 05:33 PM

It was his atrocious derby record that finished him off. His team was far from the worst we've seen though and his tactics were not as negative as many make out. He managed the club during one of our darkest periods and should really be remembered for giving us the memorable league cup win .

ancient hibee
03-11-2015, 05:48 PM
John Burridge said he gave all opposition teams far too much respect and talked them up too often in the week leading up to games. Thought it was poor for confidence.

When he did put attacking players on the park he left them to their own devices - Michael O'Neil said he was more less given a free role in his time at Hibs. So all that attacking play was off the cuff.

Miller just didn't have the tactical nous to make it as a really great manager. We've been through worse but some seasons were very very boring when he was with us, whole seasons of boredom.

He certainly has the tactical nous to be head coach of a European Cup winning team!

I've never thought Murray has what it takes.Dumbarton had a terrible defensive record.Surely every new young manager knows"get the defence sorted first".