PDA

View Full Version : Strength in depth

NAE NOOKIE
02-11-2015, 10:53 AM
A few seasons ago the sight of a vital player like Dylan McGeouch sitting down on the pitch obviously unable to carry on would have been an 'awe naw' moment, especially in a match of such importance as Sunday's. But that isn't the case when it comes to this squad of players.

You knew that whoever came on, be that Bartley or Carmichael, was more likely than not going to make a decent and worthwhile contribution to the cause, and so it proved with Bartley.

If it had been McGregor or Hanlon going off we had Fontaine and Forster on the bench .... hardly duds.

If it had been Malonga or Cummings we had the experienced and proven Keatings champing at the bit.

That to me at least is very encouraging :aok:

TheFamous1875
02-11-2015, 11:21 AM
If we win the league, it'll be down to our superior squad over Rangers'.

lucky
02-11-2015, 11:35 AM
I said the same on Sunday but I don't think Bartley & Fyvie have the speed to play alongside each other in the middle. Dylan was a big loss and changed the game towards Rangers. We got back into the game when Warbuton brought on the two kids to try and win the game. It gave us a foothold in the midfield again and enabled us to go on and win the game

JimBHibees
02-11-2015, 11:38 AM
I said the same on Sunday but I don't think Bartley & Fyvie have the speed to play alongside each other in the middle. Dylan was a big loss and changed the game towards Rangers. We got back into the game when Warbuton brought on the two kids to try and win the game. It gave us a foothold in the midfield again and enabled us to go on and win the game

Agree with that.

TheFamous1875
02-11-2015, 11:40 AM

:agree: Also thought Keatings did a job for us on the right wing - he helped Gray when he was struggling with Wallace and it was from this point that we started to get a proper foothold on the game and see it out.

Geo_1875
02-11-2015, 11:41 AM

Dylan was a big loss but we were fortunate that we had a lead to defend at that time. Had we been level or behind when we lost him it might have been a different story. I thought Bartley was very good when he came on and protected the back four in a way that Dylan can't.

HibeesLittleHel
02-11-2015, 11:49 AM

Interestingly in the post match interview with McGinn he said that he thought Bartley started slowly but got into the game and made a good contribution. Spot on assessment IMHO. Although their pace around the pitch [Fyvie and Bartley] could be exploited their tenacity yesterday was immense. Fyvie was poor with his distribution but in terms of closing down space and getting to the ball carrier to pressurise them into giving the ball away cheaply was brilliant. I said at the game his tackle that caused the rammy was excellent and TV shows it to be a clean 'got the ball' tackle. I didn't realise Waghorn had run 20 yards to get involved. TV evidence should see him disciplined for aggressive action and a retrospective red card should be given. I'll not wait up for the news report on that one though!

~~~~~~~

NAE NOOKIE
02-11-2015, 12:14 PM

I agree with that. I think my point was not that Bartley would make the same type of contribution as the more skilful and attack minded McGeouch, but that what he does bring to the table would still be valuable and compensate in other ways for the loss of Dylan.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-11-2015, 12:17 PM
Looks like Stubbs has built with the future rather than merely something to get us out the league. Should this be the case and were promoted we'll have a squad that knows each other and we'll have taken a wee step away from the perpetual transition...

Spike Mandela
02-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Imagine if Farid, Anier, Boyle and Handling were fit and available for selection in the striking area.

scoopyboy
02-11-2015, 12:26 PM
Imagine if Farid, Anier, Boyle and Handling were fit and available for selection in the striking area.

Somebody always has to go too far eh. :greengrin

Mikey09
02-11-2015, 03:48 PM
If we win the league, it'll be down to our superior squad over Rangers'.

Not according to Billy Dodds... :faf:

CorrieHibs
02-11-2015, 03:54 PM

Yeah spot on

Silky
02-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Not according to Billy Dodds... :faf:

Billy boy Dodds is a welt!