PDA

View Full Version : Rangers hate songs yesterday, letter sent to SFA & Hibs & Scotsman Editor

Springbank
02-11-2015, 09:15 AM
"I am writing to highlight the issue of sectarianism amongst Glasgow football supporters, sadly, in the month of November in the year 2015. In recent weeks my 7 year old son had the honour of being a matchday mascot for Hibs at a Hibs v Rangers match. We had invited family members from across England and Scotland to join us. Some were attending their first football match in Scotland. The overall experience was first class, our son and all our family were treated very well by all at Hibs. However, the songs emanating from the Rangers away stand were a true embarrassment.

The SFA's approach to tackling this seems to be that clubs have taken all the steps they reasonably could have, and any banned songs (that are effectively hate crimes) that are sung in grounds are not the responsibility of the clubs. No punishment materialises, and - after yesterday's match at Easter Road - there is now not even a mention of the matter. I may be wrong but this looks to me like the SFA have accepted sectarianism is back, and is back in a big way. A glance at the footage yesterday would confirm that in the opening 3 minutes at Easter Road the Rangers support were almost unanimously singing "The Sash". A few minutes later in the first half they were almost unanimously singing a banned song about Bobby Sands, to the tune the Fields of Athenry. I was asked the questions (by visiting family) "what are they singing?" and "is that allowed?".

If the answer to the second question is "no" then it is clear that a change of approach is needed from the SFA. There is one way of changing the dynamic instantly, immediately and overnight. It's time to encourage fans to self-police, to take collective responsibility, by introducing a "Sing One Sing All" assumption. Clubs like Rangers have all ticket purchasers' details on file. They know who was present yesterday. If banned songs are sung, then the result should be that every single supporter who purchased a ticket for the away end at Easter Road yesterday is banned from purchasing any more away tickets for 12 months. That will encourage the law-abiding fans (of which even Rangers have a good number) to be emboldened to speak up, to get the filth and bile perpetrators to pipe down, and let decent football supporters enjoy the sport, without a horrific soundtrack. Sectarianism is yesterday's pizza, at least outwith Glasgow. It's time the SFA changed their approach to the issue and introduce collective responsibility, as it is clear that self-policing by fans will be more effective than relying on clubs to address the matter".

Sent today

greenginger
02-11-2015, 09:21 AM
I don't think the Sash was on the unenforced banned list.

Ozyhibby
02-11-2015, 09:26 AM
The only way to put a stop to it is to deduct points and make them play games behind closed doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibs History
02-11-2015, 09:30 AM
Excellent letter

I await the stockpile empty gestured response

The Rangers fans flag were also boarder line (containing words like 'Prods' 'Loyal' and images of the Red Hand)

Also never seen as many orange tshirts/jumpers - they know exactly why they do this

Unfortunately the SFA will continue to bury it's collective heads in the sand over this

wookie70
02-11-2015, 09:33 AM
The Rangers, born 3 years ago living 3 centuries ago. Well done for speaking up but the establishment will protect their own and I imagine your complaint will get filed. Hopefully time will eventually heal the sectarian problem because you can bet your bottom dollar that the SFA and Police Scotland have no interest in stopping it.

O'Rourke3
02-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Were Police Scotland copied in as well? Seems its the polis who dont go into where they are needed. Ecelkent letter.

Sent via the bushes @ EM

brog
02-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Great letter, well done!
Separately, the DR are currently serialising Davie Farrell's book, I'll bet JK Rowling is quaking, & in the piece published today he tries to write a humourous piece about his & Alex McDonald's relationship at Airdrie. Essentially, funny man McD whistles The Sash when Oldco have a good result but DF's too scared to retaliate by whistling the Soldier Song when Celtc prevail. These guys are meant to be managing Airdrie at the time!! Until these embedded, ignorant & divisive "tenets" are strangled at birth I'm afraid Scotland & Scottish football in particular will continue to be embarrassed & shamed by these people.

Carheenlea
02-11-2015, 10:02 AM
To be honest, I don't pay too much attention to the content of their songs. It's all just a noise to me. Thankfully the way the game panned out, that noise was just limited to sporadic intervals. Nothing to get too worked up about really.

lucky
02-11-2015, 10:08 AM
"I am writing to highlight the issue of sectarianism amongst Glasgow football supporters, sadly, in the month of November in the year 2015. In recent weeks my 7 year old son had the honour of being a matchday mascot for Hibs at a Hibs v Rangers match. We had invited family members from across England and Scotland to join us. Some were attending their first football match in Scotland. The overall experience was first class, our son and all our family were treated very well by all at Hibs. However, the songs emanating from the Rangers away stand were a true embarrassment.

The SFA's approach to tackling this seems to be that clubs have taken all the steps they reasonably could have, and any banned songs (that are effectively hate crimes) that are sung in grounds are not the responsibility of the clubs. No punishment materialises, and - after yesterday's match at Easter Road - there is now not even a mention of the matter. I may be wrong but this looks to me like the SFA have accepted sectarianism is back, and is back in a big way. A glance at the footage yesterday would confirm that in the opening 3 minutes at Easter Road the Rangers support were almost unanimously singing "The Sash". A few minutes later in the first half they were almost unanimously singing a banned song about Bobby Sands, to the tune the Fields of Athenry. I was asked the questions (by visiting family) "what are they singing?" and "is that allowed?".

If the answer to the second question is "no" then it is clear that a change of approach is needed from the SFA. There is one way of changing the dynamic instantly, immediately and overnight. It's time to encourage fans to self-police, to take collective responsibility, by introducing a "Sing One Sing All" assumption. Clubs like Rangers have all ticket purchasers' details on file. They know who was present yesterday. If banned songs are sung, then the result should be that every single supporter who purchased a ticket for the away end at Easter Road yesterday is banned from purchasing any more away tickets for 12 months. That will encourage the law-abiding fans (of which even Rangers have a good number) to be emboldened to speak up, to get the filth and bile perpetrators to pipe down, and let decent football supporters enjoy the sport, without a horrific soundtrack. Sectarianism is yesterday's pizza, at least outwith Glasgow. It's time the SFA changed their approach to the issue and introduce collective responsibility, as it is clear that self-policing by fans will be more effective than relying on clubs to address the matter".

Sent today

Sorry don't support punishing innocent people to get a message across. If Hibs fans in the East singing section sang the "Edinburgh song" would you want all Hibs fans banned for 12 months?

--------
02-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Great letter, well done!
Separately, the DR are currently serialising Davie Farrell's book, I'll bet JK Rowling is quaking, & in the piece published today he tries to write a humourous piece about his & Alex McDonald's relationship at Airdrie. Essentially, funny man McD whistles The Sash when Oldco have a good result but DF's too scared to retaliate by whistling the Soldier Song when Celtc prevail. These guys are meant to be managing Airdrie at the time!! Until these embedded, ignorant & divisive "tenets" are strangled at birth I'm afraid Scotland & Scottish football in particular will continue to be embarrassed & shamed by these people.

I remember MacDonald being interviewed after his Airdrie team had beaten Celtic (I think it was the only time it happened) and when the reporter asked him how he would be celebrating, he answered, "It'll be a good night to burn a few chapels."

My, how we laughed!

Springbank
02-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Sorry don't support punishing innocent people to get a message across. If Hibs fans in the East singing section sang the "Edinburgh song" would you want all Hibs fans banned for 12 months?

To be 100% honest the answer is:
these songs don't help, the turning a blind eye / deaf ear to them only encourages worse behaviour (like the spitting on children by Rangers fans that led to an escalating fight on Easter Road by a rangers bus yesterday).

If we focus only on the spit and the reaction that followed, it would be like treating lung cancer with some cough medicine. The root cause of the violence is the attitude that accepts hate songs, hate messages, and doesn't stand up to be counted against them

Those of us of a certain age will remember around Argentina 78 and Spain 82, the tartan army was not the widely admired visiting friendly group it's widely thought of now. Back then people worried more about Scotland fans than England fans going feral after a few drinks.

How did that change, and change completely and unrecognisably? It was simple. Folk had to register, the good fans (who are the vast majority even in Glasgow and Gorgie) were then given more reason to say to the wee guy who was looking for bother "wind yer neck in son, you're not costing me a ticket for the next big game"

What that tells us (because it worked) and what the current SFA approach tells us (because it isn't working) is that youonly stamp out unacceptable behaviour when the fans themselves have a reason to. Right now there's nothing to stop Rangers fans, and that attitude only encouraged the wee'est of the wee are the peepil to spit on local football fans yesterday

So yes, I would support it, if it stopped the cancer because cough medicine ain't working

Pretty Boy
02-11-2015, 10:37 AM
I'm sure some Rangers fans will argue that these songs are 'traditional' or 'cultural'. Nonsense of course but that's what they will say.

However post game yesterday I went down St Claire Street then had to go back up Easter Road to get to the bank. I had to wade through Rangers fans and, along with several others including kids, was subjected to downright bigotry. Shouting at people in the street that they are a 'fenian', 'taig', 'tarrier', 'bead rattler' etc is inexcusable. Add to that the Sikh father and children in Hibs scarves ahead of me who were called 'pakis' and 'terrorists' and you see the ignorance you are dealing with. The Police of course were nowhere to be seen at this point despite it being the key meeting point between rival fans.

Something has to be done about Rangers fans. I don't want to see football become all sanitised and the names go in one ear and out the other with me but it's just not on. They are vile.

Forza Fred
02-11-2015, 10:42 AM
The only way to put a stop to it is to deduct points and make them play games behind closed doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

It is the club that must drive the change among its supporters.

Onceinawhile
02-11-2015, 10:48 AM

But they don't. That's the point.

3,500 is 10% of the rangers' season ticket holders. I don't see 10% of ours signing offensive songs.

liamh2202
02-11-2015, 11:22 AM

I agree , there are still hibs songs sung which mention intercourse with the monarch . yes none of these songs have a place at the football but lets not pretend we dont have our minority

Onceinawhile
02-11-2015, 11:24 AM
I agree , there are still hibs songs sung which mention intercourse with the monarch . yes none of these songs have a place at the football but lets not pretend we dont have our minority

In 20+ years I've heard that song once. Sung by about 8 people.

lucky
02-11-2015, 11:25 AM
I'm not defending the songs that were sung but banning every supporter is not the answer.

emerald green
02-11-2015, 11:41 AM

Sent today

I'm not trying to nit-pick here, but can I say that sectarianism is present throughout many parts of Scotland. Some parts are worse than others. Try places like Larkhall, Airdrie, and many old mining areas of Ayrshire and West Lothian for example.

It's not just confined to Glasgow. There's just more of them there.

The Rangers, born 3 years ago living 3 centuries ago. Well done for speaking up but the establishment will protect their own and I imagine your complaint will get filed. Hopefully time will eventually heal the sectarian problem because you can bet your bottom dollar that the SFA and Police Scotland have no interest in stopping it.

The bit in bold - I think we will have to wait a very long time, judging by how long the problem of sectarianism has existed in Scotland to date. I don't believe it's going to go away anytime soon.

How do you stop this stuff being passed down from parents and grandparents through the generations? They don't see it as being "sectarian". They believe they are right.

NAE NOOKIE
02-11-2015, 11:58 AM
I'm sure some Rangers fans will argue that these songs are 'traditional' or 'cultural'. Nonsense of course but that's what they will say.

However post game yesterday I went down St Claire Street then had to go back up Easter Road to get to the bank. I had to wade through Rangers fans and, along with several others including kids, was subjected to downright bigotry. Shouting at people in the street that they are a 'fenian', 'taig', 'tarrier', 'bead rattler' etc is inexcusable. Add to that the Sikh father and children in Hibs scarves ahead of me who were called 'pakis' and 'terrorists' and you see the ignorance you are dealing with. The Police of course were nowhere to be seen at this point despite it being the key meeting point between rival fans.

Something has to be done about Rangers fans. I don't want to see football become all sanitised and the names go in one ear and out the other with me but it's just not on. They are vile.

That's about right

I don't agree with collective punishment along the lines of banning all 4,000 The Rangers fans, even if it was 3,500 of them singing the offensive stuff. As somebody else said, half the time you have no idea what the hell they are singing about anyway .... though its a pretty safe bet its gonna be sectarian pish.

Its pretty upsetting to hear that the two Sikh lads were subjected to abuse by the knuckle dragging bigots who seem happy to add racism, not to mention world class ignorance of other cultures and religions, to their list of reasons why the Earth would be a better place without them. The father and son involved sound like Mr Singh and his lad who are often to be seen in the FF lower with their extremely cool Green and White turbans. For me they are the embodiment of the diverse and welcoming to everybody message Hibs are trying to project to the community and I sincerely hope what must have been a horrible experience hasn't put them off. Though from the little I do know about Sikhs I'm guessing its unlikely a few knuckle dragging bigots with big mouths and small brains will be enough to phase them.

Beefster
02-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Never mind the songs, one thieving jakey ******* in the upper tier stole one of our balls right before the second half. Fair ripped my knitting so it did (until Hanlon stuck it right up the c****).

Edit: since when are we not allowed to call them 'c****'. Well, that's just ****ing ****ing **** foam **** ****s rubber.

johnbc70
02-11-2015, 12:31 PM
You will be lucky to even get an acknowledgment from the SFA. I wrote a few years back questioning their decision to not introduce the spray foam for free kicks (which they have now introduced 12 months after everyone else did) and never got any kind of reply. They treat their customers with total contempt.

Andy74
02-11-2015, 12:35 PM
You will be lucky to even get an acknowledgment from the SFA. I wrote a few years back questioning their decision to not introduce the spray foam for free kicks (which they have now introduced 12 months after everyone else did) and never got any kind of reply. They treat their customers with total contempt.

We might have got the spray foam but its the most innefective spray I've seen used anywhere. You can hardly see it then it disappears in seconds. We must have gone for the cheap version!

Springbank
02-11-2015, 12:37 PM

You're probably right, but this is the first time for a while there's been those songs with a professional air brushing in the media, no mention

If we stand aside and say nothing then that's no different from saying it's acceptable. I don't think there's any place for their bile in Nov 2015 in Leith so I'm making my suggestion.

It worked for the tartan army 30 years ago

Kato
02-11-2015, 12:53 PM

Difference being no-one, well at least it wasn't obviously audible if it were, was singing that on Sunday. The minority within the Rangers fans are the ones who only sing football related songs which, amongst them, are few and far between.

There is a moronic minority within the Hibs support, every club has them. Rangers are a different kettle of fish whereby practically every utterance, chant and song has one theme and it isn't anything to do with football.

Saying that - they should be allowed to sing what they want - makes it easier to spot the bigots.

BonnieFitbaTeam
02-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Difference being no-one, well at least it wasn't obviously audible if it were, was singing that on Sunday. The minority within the Rangers fans are the ones who only sing football related songs which, amongst them, are few and far between.

There is a moronic minority within the Hibs support, every club has them. Rangers are a different kettle of fish whereby practically every utterance, chant and song has one theme and it isn't anything to do with football.

Saying that - they should be allowed to sing what they want - makes it easier to spot the bigots.

You can hardly miss 3,500 of them !

Spike Mandela
02-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Were Police Scotland copied in as well? Seems its the polis who dont go into where they are needed. Ecelkent letter.

Sent via the bushes @ EM

I think in terms of sectarian chanting at football, much like the use of soft drugs like cannabis, the police have neither the will nor the manpower to deal with it en masse.

Little individual cases will be dealt with but for me this is a football problem and the football authorities in this country are **** scared to do anything about it. Teams have been raking in the sectarian shilling for years and are reluctant to change it.

Sir David Gray
02-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Good luck getting a reply of any note from the SFA.

The authorities are not interested in the slightest in trying to put a stop to this behaviour.

We'll still be talking about this in 50 years' time.

Hedlund12
02-11-2015, 01:30 PM
I heard a couple of their fans were in the West Lower singing sectarian songs full pelt amongst hibs fans! They were removed from the stand/ground two minutes into the game.
Grade A holes!

DaveF
02-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Never mind the songs, one thieving jakey ******* in the upper tier stole one of our balls right before the second half. Fair ripped my knitting so it did.

I saw that as well. Pretty sure he handed to a guy behind him who promptly put it inside his shell suit (probably) top. No sign of any steward or Police going after him. If it was a 6 year old in the FF they would no doubt have been rugby tackled and given the rest of the game in the cells :greengrin

overdrive
02-11-2015, 01:38 PM
We might have got the spray foam but its the most innefective spray I've seen used anywhere. You can hardly see it then it disappears in seconds. We must have gone for the cheap version!

:agree: The line around the ball has disappeared by the time the ref has counted the steps for the wall and sprayed the line in front of the wall.

You can buy the stuff in Poundland - I bet it is the Poundland stuff they use!

Brightside
02-11-2015, 02:02 PM
I heard a couple of their fans were in the West Lower singing sectarian songs full pelt amongst hibs fans! They were removed from the stand/ground two minutes into the game.
Grade A holes!

Certainly not in our West lower...

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-11-2015, 02:10 PM
In 20+ years I've heard that song once. Sung by about 8 people.

It was being sung in The Office yesterday by more than 8 folk.

Dashing Bob S
02-11-2015, 02:10 PM
I'm not trying to nit-pick here, but can I say that sectarianism is present throughout many parts of Scotland. Some parts are worse than others. Try places like Larkhall, Airdrie, and many old mining areas of Ayrshire and West Lothian for example.

It's not just confined to Glasgow. There's just more of them there.

The bit in bold - I think we will have to wait a very long time, judging by how long the problem of sectarianism has existed in Scotland to date. I don't believe it's going to go away anytime soon.

How do you stop this stuff being passed down from parents and grandparents through the generations? They don't see it as being "sectarian". They believe they are right.

I don't think sectarianism in Glasgow now is anything like as bad as those places you've mentioned. I'm not saying there are no bigoted Rangers fans in Glasgow, but the ones I've met from there certainly don't seem to take as seriously as people from small Ayrshire/Lanarkshire one-horse towns, where it seems to be the sole focus of their identity and reason for living.

Springbank
02-11-2015, 02:18 PM
The real opportunity in having the two Glasgow sides separated for 4 or more years is that it gives a once in a generation chance to isolate the bigots.

When you hear Leeann Dempster and even Ann budge making a stand it gives hope that Edinburgh football matches might be fit and proper places to go with your 7 year old boy and his 70+ grandfather, without the shadow of something sinister lurking

This matter is not antiRangers (they have their element of decent folk) but it is about saying we should root out the bams that bring non fitba related sinister agendas into football grounds AND the surrounding pubs, streets and neighbourhoods. I've had enough and I hear a lot of others saying the same from Aberdeen to Albert Street

KeithTheHibby
02-11-2015, 02:19 PM
When I was walking down ER there was a crowd of the roasters signing about Tommy Burns, disgusting people.

I also noticed that Scotmid were selling drink to them before 1230pm, surely this can't be correct?

Then I witnessed the very soft approach taken by Police Scotland asking them not to drink in the street.

It really is a horrible time when that mob come through to Edinburgh which isn't helped by the authorities at times.

CraigHibee
02-11-2015, 02:25 PM
the only time i heard those dirty neanderthal throwbacks was after we equalised for them, they were quite quiet up until that point but you could make out their usual bile loud and clear, fannies!

Jonnyboy
02-11-2015, 02:58 PM
But they don't. That's the point.

3,500 is 10% of the rangers' season ticket holders. I don't see 10% of ours signing offensive songs.

I agree with those who say the club needs to do more - Sevco that is. I also accept that there may have been a few that didn't sing those songs. So, given that Sevco must have details of the buyer of every ticket. I say they should suspend those fans from buying tickets for the next game. If the 'decent' fans take umbrage then maybe they will self police next time around? Having said all that I doubt it will happen because that club is bigoted from the top down.

MM19
02-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Was there not a bit of an improvement when UEFA were going to deduct points from them? I think it lasted a season or so then got back to normal. Maybe the SFA should think about doing it again.

Hibs History
02-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Was there not a bit of an improvement when UEFA were going to deduct points from them? I think it lasted a season or so then got back to normal. Maybe the SFA should think about doing it again.

Good one, I haven't laughed so much in ages!

The SFA know the problem, the cause and the solution but choose to do nothing

Godsahibby
02-11-2015, 04:02 PM
When I was walking down ER there was a crowd of the roasters signing about Tommy Burns, disgusting people.

I also noticed that Scotmid were selling drink to them before 1230pm, surely this can't be correct?

Then I witnessed the very soft approach taken by Police Scotland asking them not to drink in the street.

It really is a horrible time when that mob come through to Edinburgh which isn't helped by the authorities at times.

Licensing laws changed a couple of years ago, pretty sure it is 10am every day

liamh2202
02-11-2015, 04:29 PM
Licensing laws changed a couple of years ago, pretty sure it is 10am every day

Nope proposed changes were brought but nothing seemed to have been passed. Here is sainsburys website. Seems a cloudy subject

http://help.sainsburys.co.uk/help/products/sell-alcohol-hours

Newcastlehibby
02-11-2015, 04:54 PM
Nope proposed changes were brought but nothing seemed to have been passed. Here is sainsburys website. Seems a cloudy subject

http://help.sainsburys.co.uk/help/products/sell-alcohol-hours

It is covered by Part 5 of the Licensing Scotland Act 2005. They are not allowed to sell before 10am or after 10pm.

liamh2202
02-11-2015, 05:03 PM
It is covered by Part 5 of the Licensing Scotland Act 2005. They are not allowed to sell before 10am or after 10pm.

Ok. Just seems weird when i worked in asda post 2005 we made announcments due to licensing laws alcohol would not go theough before 1230

Waxy
02-11-2015, 05:15 PM
All clubs could resign from the league leaving the old firm to play each other.
It's just going to continue forever otherwise.

Pete
02-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Good luck getting a reply of any note from the SFA.

The authorities are not interested in the slightest in trying to put a stop to this behaviour.

We'll still be talking about this in 50 years' time.

The world is changing but this wouldn't surprise me. We claim to be such a great country but how is this problem allowed to go on? It's truly embarrassing.

Celtic fans did exactly the same at Tynecastle for the first part of the league cup game, their songs ranging from "cultural" to downright banned. Not even mentioned any more.

Pretty Boy
02-11-2015, 05:45 PM
Ok. Just seems weird when i worked in asda post 2005 we made announcments due to licensing laws alcohol would not go theough before 1230

2005 refers to when the act was first introduced to the parliament.

It wasn't passed until later and only became law in September 2009.

emerald green
02-11-2015, 06:29 PM
I don't think sectarianism in Glasgow now is anything like as bad as those places you've mentioned. I'm not saying there are no bigoted Rangers fans in Glasgow, but the ones I've met from there certainly don't seem to take as seriously as people from small Ayrshire/Lanarkshire one-horse towns, where it seems to be the sole focus of their identity and reason for living.

The bit in bold - :agree:

Smartie
02-11-2015, 06:38 PM
I have to say that the majority of Rangers fans I know who are actually from Glasgow are sound. More often than not decent football people who have a choice between 2 big teams and have gone one way rather than the other.

In my experience the ones who travel from (amongst other ****holes) West Lothian, Fife, Ayrshire and Northern Ireland to "vent" tend to be the biggest bigots.

MM19
02-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Good one, I haven't laughed so much in ages!

The SFA know the problem, the cause and the solution but choose to do nothing

Aye that's true it would take UEFA to make them do anything and with them no being in Europe there's no much danger of that.

Golden Bear
02-11-2015, 08:49 PM
I have to say that the majority of Rangers fans I know who are actually from Glasgow are sound. More often than not decent football people who have a choice between 2 big teams and have gone one way rather than thue other.

In my experience the ones who travel from (amongst other ****holes) West Lothian, Fife, Ayrshire and Northern Ireland to "vent" tend to be the biggest bigots.

It's difficult to forget the cretins who came to ER for the scottish cup tie v Irvine Meadow a few seasons back. That mob were absolutely infested with bigots.

Hedlund12
02-11-2015, 09:16 PM
Certainly not in our West lower...

They were in our West Lower! What makes you say they were not? They were reported to a steward (by my friend) and we're subsequently removed from the ground. One of them was stupid enough to start fighting with a steward!

Unless my friend has suddendly become blind, a compulsive liar and a fantasist.... I have no reason to doubt his version of what he witnessed!

TrinityHibs
02-11-2015, 09:28 PM
They were in our West Lower! What makes you say they were not? They were reported to a steward (by my friend) and we're subsequently removed from the ground. One of them was stupid enough to start fighting with a steward!

Unless my friend has suddendly become blind, a compulsive liar and a fantasist.... I have no reason to doubt his version of what he witnessed!

Think its fair to say they were not in my part of the west lower. Just behind the home dug out.

Getting huckled out would have been the least of their problems.

Disclaimer:At no point would I condone violence but it would have happened

Baldy Foghorn
02-11-2015, 09:44 PM
There were 3 next to me in the West Lower. They never said a word during the game, and just watched the goings on quietly, showing no emotion. They walked past me on the way out, one patted my back and said well done......

liamh2202
02-11-2015, 10:02 PM
There were 3 next to me in the West Lower. They never said a word during the game, and just watched the goings on quietly, showing no emotion. They walked past me on the way out, one patted my back and said well done......

Good to see this kind of thing can still take place civilly ,, i often go to games with mates i dont see often when their teams come to er

Hedlund12
02-11-2015, 10:03 PM

Good to hear.. I had a St Mirren fan sitting behind me when we played them at home. Decent bloke ... wasn't stupid enough to draw attention to himself. Watched his team, kept quiet'ish and enjoyed the game... unlike the thick, fuelled up, loud mouthed, bigoted twats who were in front of my friend and his two sons.

Sir David Gray
02-11-2015, 10:13 PM
Good to hear.. I had a St Mirren fan sitting behind me when we played them at home. Decent bloke ... wasn't stupid enough to draw attention to himself. Watched his team, kept quiet'ish and enjoyed the game... unlike the thick, fuelled up, loud mouthed, bigoted twats who were in front of my friend and his two sons.

I take it the St Mirren fan was sitting with a Hibs fan?

If not, I can't understand why he wouldn't have just sat in the away end.

I can understand Sevco fans sitting in the home end yesterday, when their end was sold out but don't really get a St Mirren fan sitting in the home end when there would have been more than 2000 empty seats to choose from in that stand.

Hedlund12
02-11-2015, 10:26 PM
I take it the St Mirren fan was sitting with a Hibs fan?

If not, I can't understand why he wouldn't have just sat in the away end.

I can understand Sevco fans sitting in the home end yesterday, when their end was sold out but don't really get a St Mirren fan sitting in the home end when there would have been more than 2000 empty seats to choose from in that stand.

No he was on his own. He arrived a few minutes after kick off. I did ask him why he was in our end and he said he didn't know that he'd be able to make the game. I got the impression it was a very last minute thing.

PatHead
02-11-2015, 10:54 PM
I raised the bigotry issue at the last working together meeting with a very simple question to their Director of Communication.

When are you going to do something about bigotry in Scottish football? (? Broadfoot)

The answer given was that the SFA raised this with the clubs who carried out a vote on whether clubs should be responsible for the behaviour of their own fans. Similar to Europe.

Only one club voted in favour.

I do believe the SFA could do more similar to Show Racism the Red Card in an attempt to take a lead against racism but they so no signs they want to do so. Neither do the clubs.

cabbageandribs1875
02-11-2015, 11:14 PM
i remember 49,000 at bigotsville giving it the full song book of sectarian p@sh in total defiance for the whole 90 mins against killie in their last home game before the authorities sent them down to the bottom league, and what did the GFA do about it ? no guesses needed i'm sure, i don't think it was even mentioned once in any daily paper, what a backward country it must make us look like to the outside world

Baldy Foghorn
02-11-2015, 11:18 PM
I raised the bigotry issue at the last working together meeting with a very simple question to their Director of Communication.

When are you going to do something about bigotry in Scottish football? (? Broadfoot)

The answer given was that the SFA raised this with the clubs who carried out a vote on whether clubs should be responsible for the behaviour of their own fans. Similar to Europe.

I do believe the SFA could do more similar to Show Racism the Red Card in an attempt to take a lead against racism but they so no signs they want to do so. Neither do the clubs.

Therein lies the problem. Until Clubs are fined financially and points deducted for sectarian singing, then the Clubs will continue to do so. SFA just bury their heads in the sand, stick their fingers in their ears, and carry on as normal........Can't go upsetting the ONLY 2 Clubs that matter in Scotland:rolleyes:

erin go bragh
02-11-2015, 11:19 PM
Huns singing banned songs shock ! They belt them out every game they play . Best way to keep them quiet is by beating them . Never heard much after Hanlons winner .

GGTTH

cabbageandribs1875
02-11-2015, 11:36 PM
Huns singing banned songs shock ! They belt them out every game they play . Best way to keep them quiet is by beating them . Never heard much after Hanlons winner .

GGTTH

never heard much after our opener either...it's always good to get an earlyish goal against the bigots, they don't exactly back their team very much do they, or do they think the players seriously think to themselves, oh listen, they're singing about dead kaffliks, that should spur us on :rolleyes: shower of vile cretins that they are

02-11-2015, 11:41 PM
Doesn't solve the issue but it would be the SPFL that would take action for crowd disorder not the SFA - SFA could only take action if its a Scottish Cup match.
If anybody wants to complain don't waste you're time sending a message to the SFA as they are powerless on league games.

SPFL's Rule - Pages 71 to 74 are pretty specific and sums up the bile that was coming out of the South Stand for most of Sunday. Will they do anything....."computer says no!"

http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthescottishprofessionalfootball leagueasat5october2015_1444723823.pdf :rules:

Scouse Hibee
02-11-2015, 11:53 PM
I never heard it because I don't listen to it and struggle to understand why so many folk do.

southern hibby
03-11-2015, 10:10 AM
All clubs could resign from the league leaving the old firm to play each other.
It's just going to continue forever otherwise.

Obviously Kilmarnock can have a abstain vote lol

GGTTH

brog
03-11-2015, 10:24 AM
I never heard it because I don't listen to it and struggle to understand why so many folk do.

I'm not a fan of Biblical quotations but I think in your case it's apposite!

Biblical verse Jeremiah 5:21 (‘Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not’).

JimBHibees
03-11-2015, 10:38 AM

As the Football authority for this country I am afraid that is a total cop out and frankly not good enough. The only time this was ever seriously confronted was when UEFA started fining Rangers.

JimBHibees
03-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Therein lies the problem. Until Clubs are fined financially and points deducted for sectarian singing, then the Clubs will continue to do so. SFA just bury their heads in the sand, stick their fingers in their ears, and carry on as normal........Can't go upsetting the ONLY 2 Clubs that matter in Scotland:rolleyes:

However the principal Football authority should not be able to say it is the clubs to blame they and the clubs should be held accountable. Not good enough on so many levels IMO.

Monts
03-11-2015, 03:28 PM
I dont know the answer to this, but if there was racist chanting from the stands, that were clearly audible on tv, would the club be responsible then? Would there be a course of action from the authorities?

BH Hibs
03-11-2015, 03:48 PM
Of course there would. If it went back to the bad old days when bananas were thrown on the park the clubs would be fined and probably stands shut for a period. Seems daft that society can move on from that nonsense but not from sectarianism or is it simply just the case that it's tolerated and there is no real desire to tackle it.

Pretty Boy
03-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Of course there would. If it went back to the bad old days when bananas were thrown on the park the clubs would be fined and probably stands shut for a period. Seems daft that society can move on from that nonsense but not from sectarianism or is it simply just the case that it's tolerated and there is no real desire to tackle it.

Theres more money to be made from religous bigotry than from racism.

Golden Bear
03-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Theres more money to be made from religous bigotry than from racism.

That's very sad but in Scotland that's probably true.

erin go bragh
03-11-2015, 04:49 PM

Scouse ! If you never heard them belting out " King James and his ,,, ( first few mins of the game . You better get your ears looked at :)

GGTTH

Vini1875
03-11-2015, 04:58 PM
Most clubs do not want it tackled, because it would bring scrutiny on their own clubs fans behaviour. It is easier to point fingers and do nothing. It is a poor excuse but can we guarantee that our own fans will self police and not sing songs which others find unacceptable. Personally I think Hibs should do something like the play offs and limit numbers to the absolute minimium we are allowed to issue them, while making it clear the reason is because of the behaviour of their fans. Behave you get more tickets, don't and we will impose limits.

Scouse Hibee
03-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Scouse ! If you never heard them belting out " King James and his ,,, ( first few mins of the game . You better get your ears looked at :)

GGTTH

Nothing wrong with my selective hearing mate.