PDA

View Full Version : Current Season v 1998/99

Keith_M
01-11-2015, 01:44 PM
After a recent discussion over the comparison between the Current Season and our 'all conquering' Promotion Season of 1998-99, I thought it interesting to compare the two like for like (up to the current number of games)

Season

Played

W

D

L

F

A

GD

Pts

1998-99

+6

2015-16

+13

Dunno about everybody else but it makes good reading for me

:greengrin

California-Hibs
01-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Fans need to be getting themselves back to Easter Road to have a look at what we have going on right now, it's such a good Hibs team to watch! Brilliant football, and they deserve more fans turning up! C'mon guys, don't hang about till we're back in the Premier League, you're missing out big time! :flag:

Keith_M
01-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Fans need to be getting themselves back to Easter Road to have a look at what we have going on right now, it's such a good Hibs team to watch! Brilliant football, and they deserve more fans turning up! C'mon guys, don't hang about till we're back in the Premier League, you're missing out big time! :flag:

:agree:

SteveHFC
01-11-2015, 02:51 PM
This season has been the best for me in recent times. Hopefully we can push on and win the league or go up through play-offs. We can do it.

hibby6270
01-11-2015, 04:05 PM
In 98/99, we went on a run from now (start of Nov) where we only lost 1 game and drew 1 game but won 22 games until end of season including the record 13 wins in a row that Sevco were hoping to beat but today stuffed that up for them.

If we can do anything like that again between now and end of season it will be remarkable imo - but you never know!!

Wait a minute though. This IS Hibs we're talking about!! They'll not make it easy but we can live in hope. It's definitely doable to win this league. There you go. I've just jinxed it by even dare mentioning it. :aok::cb

lyonhibs
01-11-2015, 05:05 PM
In 98/99, we went on a run from now (start of Nov) where we only lost 1 game and drew 1 game but won 22 games until end of season including the record 13 wins in a row that Sevco were hoping to beat but today stuffed that up for them.

If we can do anything like that again between now and end of season it will be remarkable imo - but you never know!!

Wait a minute though. This IS Hibs we're talking about!! They'll not make it easy but we can live in hope. It's definitely doable to win this league. There you go. I've just jinxed it by even dare mentioning it. :aok::cb

You make a good point though. Hibs have, since practically time immemorial, started seasons relatively well. Comparisons in November are pointless.

We got promoted in 1st place back in 98/99. If we're considering comparisons between the 2 seasons are valid, that's the only stat we should be concerned about matching.

erin go bragh
01-11-2015, 05:30 PM
We amassed 89 pts on winning the league that season . Imo
89 might not win this seasons league .

GGTTH

Smartie
01-11-2015, 05:52 PM
You make a good point though. Hibs have, since practically time immemorial, started seasons relatively well. Comparisons in November are pointless.

We got promoted in 1st place back in 98/99. If we're considering comparisons between the 2 seasons are valid, that's the only stat we should be concerned about matching.

Really?

I certainly would have said that was the case when I started watching Hibs in the early 90s. Alex Miller always tended to have his teams meticulously prepared and fit to start the season.

But I'd say one of the most disappointing things about the past 10 years is that we have started seasons poorly. My biggest criticism of the "Petrie era" is that it always seemed to be acceptable that we got our squad in place and fit sometime in mid-September often 6-7 games into the season (and sometimes later - thinking about losing Stokes and bringing in Trakys after the deadline - and tbh sometimes we didn't end up ready at all) . We often seemed to be scrambling about having missed out on our main transfer targets.

I don't like criticising Stubbs and Hibs right now as I am 100% behind what the club are trying to do but I do think we are still a bit casual in the way we approach the first few games of the season. In future I would like to see us have everyone in place and come fast out of the blocks on day 1. Those 3 points are worth every bit as much as the 3 points on the final day.

lyonhibs
01-11-2015, 08:58 PM
Really?

I certainly would have said that was the case when I started watching Hibs in the early 90s. Alex Miller always tended to have his teams meticulously prepared and fit to start the season.

But I'd say one of the most disappointing things about the past 10 years is that we have started seasons poorly. My biggest criticism of the "Petrie era" is that it always seemed to be acceptable that we got our squad in place and fit sometime in mid-September often 6-7 games into the season (and sometimes later - thinking about losing Stokes and bringing in Trakys after the deadline - and tbh sometimes we didn't end up ready at all) . We often seemed to be scrambling about having missed out on our main transfer targets.

I don't like criticising Stubbs and Hibs right now as I am 100% behind what the club are trying to do but I do think we are still a bit casual in the way we approach the first few games of the season. In future I would like to see us have everyone in place and come fast out of the blocks on day 1. Those 3 points are worth every bit as much as the 3 points on the final day.

I did say "relatively" to be fair. Some of our Xmas to February runs of form in my lifetime have been appalling.

Smartie
01-11-2015, 09:03 PM
I did say "relatively" to be fair. Some of our Xmas to February runs of form in my lifetime have been appalling.

Yes, that is a time of year that I certainly associate with our form being utterly appalling.