PDA

View Full Version : A wonderful story about Football Manager 2015.

GlasgowHibee
31-10-2015, 10:39 AM
Found this on Reddit and thought it was a great little story, and it made me smile! :greengrin

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/3opar5/how_football_manager_changed_my_life/

Here's a quoted version.

Imagine you as a boy, glued to the TV, watching football games and pretending to be a world class player. My dream was a little bit different: I always imagined me being a football manager.

That is what FM always represented for me, a version of my life that i could fulfill a simple kid's dream. So i decided to tell a story with this game, of someone just like me (or someone that i always wanted do be), a kid that always dreamed to be a manager for the club he loved.

Looking through the leagues of FM i came across one humble scottish team: Hibernian FC. And for real, i don't know why they caught my attention right at the moment i saw them, but for some reason, i knew that i've found what i was looking for.

They were just being relegated from the Scottish Premiership after a terrible 13/14 season, and that fit perfectly with my idealized dreams.

So i created the Irish Lad, Rory Affleck (I like to roleplay on FM, and that's super lame)

After really starting to play the save, i did a quick search about Hibernian FC. And i was surprised to see that the Hibbes were founded by Irish immigrants that went to Scotland around 1870, and of course i started to think that it wasn't just coincidence that i found The Hibs.

The 14/15 was a great season. I've managed to guide Hibernian to promotion, but not without winning the Scottish Championship title!

https://gyazo.com/6dfbc3c723610a848a09787561fcf92a.png

We also won the Scottish Challenge Cup for the first time with a 3-0 win against Arbroath.

https://gyazo.com/a88cec6f6cdaa940377d6c6e0a463a5a.png

even if it's not a major trophy, it was my first ever silverware with the Hibs.

And then came the 15/16 season, and my first in the Scottish Elite. And we managed to finish 3rd (only 1 point from the 2nd and 8 from the 1st)

https://gyazo.com/206a3d1541e87e868abfb0ed787954f0

We also won the Scottish Cup with a huge 5-0 win against Ross County.

https://gyazo.com/a0d9dc0d83e6f1748e676332acd7d50b

When the 16/17 season came around, we thought we could really be Premiership Champions, but reality proved to be much more difficult. Our team never found himself while playing on the League, and we finished in 4th. I was devastated.

https://gyazo.com/1b9ae54d517161bd6b28cca85a88c129

Did i thought that we were better than reality? Should we keep dreaming or put in our heads that it's too much of a task to top Celtic's dominance? We couldn't thought about that, we qualified for the Scottish League Cup Final against Dundee United, and we only got a 1-2 defeat.

https://gyazo.com/4c6229fa1ebb5d322614155e2423f650

The 17/18 season started the worst way possible. Jason Cummings always was our goal machine. We could always count on him to provide when we needed to, but as usual, money speaks more than anything, he didn't even want to talk about a new contract with me, and when he did, he asked for imposible wages. Eventually he got what he wanted, he left the team on a free transfer to Bentford. But more important, i finally got what i wanted.

Hibernian FC, Champions of the 17/18 Scottish Premiership's Season!

https://gyazo.com/d5786332aa476db79316fe85801f5382

It was a unimaginable feeling! I never thought i could lead the Hibs to another Premiership title after 66 years! And for real, i almost cried! And with only two points more than Celtic!

We managed to get to another League Cup Final, but then, the ****ing Hearts ended my dreams of a outstanding season! Besides being a the derby, we always dominated those ****ers!

https://gyazo.com/be0ca5c191a5f3144b6138711bc387c6

The 18/19 season was just as competitive as the 17/18. Hibernian and Celtic dominated the League until the last matches, then we lost some winnable games and Celtic got the title.

https://gyazo.com/e3185dedea8933bb0bf03612f89b8487

We got our 3rd League Cup final in a row, and i wasn't going to lose again. We faced Aberdeen and we got a outstanding 4-1 victory!

https://gyazo.com/a44ddd1b8132f4066db444fcf8bbaa8f

Finally we could say we were League Cup Champions!

We went to the 19/20 season determined to prove that we were the best team in Scotland. “**** Celtic!” was our motto. And by god, we really meant that ****!

We simply demolished the League and were champions 12 points ahead of Celtic!

https://gyazo.com/5d9e70503be876e2eb6e190933c0a698.png

We didn't stopped there.

We defeated Celtic on the semifinal of the Scottish Cup just to be Champions with a 3-1 win against St Mirren!

https://gyazo.com/501f268412b2479ed17a0b38d21ee7bf.png

We didn't stopped there.

We defeated Celtic on the semifinal of the Scottish League Cup just to be Champions with a 2-1 win against Aberdeen!

https://gyazo.com/79ec3f91a3e32e29830e872bb810a50f.png

What a 19/20 Season! Three Titles! And more important, we got a automatic spot on the group stage of the Uefa Champions League!

It was one of the greatest moments of my life! Nothing could put me down.

And then, this happened.

https://gyazo.com/a11bd3b82c4d187116d9e0dddce8c88b.png

I was shocked. I didn't know what to do. But after some time thinking. I decided to accept the job and give a giant step in my carrer.

But the universe was planning something for me that i couldn't even imagine.

And now, this the first Champions League Group of my entire life

https://gyazo.com/bd0148e9c9c6cc0ee192ac7c64147b0d.png

I didn't put a lot of details of players that i trained, memorable moments and stuff like that on this post, i just wanted to give you guys an basic idea of what i've been through. My relationship with players would be too much for you guys to read. I can only say that Jason Cummings is such a bitch in this game HAHAHA

I'm glad that i'll return to the Easter Road Stadium, and i'm really happy that i'll see the Hibernian FC playing a Champions League Match at the Santiago Bernabéu.

But i always thought they were gonna do that with me as their manager.

__________________________________________________ ________

*And that's how Football Manager broke my heart.* For real, i can't express how i felt leaving Hibernian FC, it seems like some part of my life was suddently gone. I'll miss playing the games and listening to the Chants i found on youtube. And most important, singing Sunshine on Leith after every title!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXCNwBu_t8

Normally you start to like a team mostly because of your dad taking you to games. But this is different. Hibernian FC is something I found on my own. A team that i learned to love as i was playing Football Manager.

For a guy in Brazil, i know that it's going to be hard to have a Hibernian kit, and that maybe i'll never watch a game at the actual stadium . But it's something i'll have to deal with. Watching games online and with all the memories in my heart will be the only way to support the Hibees, at least for now!

Football Manager introduced me to the only club i can really say that i love, and that's why i'm always be grateful to Sports Interactive for giving us this masterpiece.

This unique experience on FM changed my life. And i think no one that i know will understand how i fell about this game.

And if there is a Hibernian fan out there: you're *very* lucky, dude :D

__________________________________________________ _

So yeah, we travelled to the Easter Road Stadium. My first game against Hibernian. 0-3 win.

What a great story eh? Would be amazing if the club somehow used this as promotion or something like that, maybe sending him a shirt to Brazil or anything! :greengrin

tamig
31-10-2015, 10:46 AM
Found this on Reddit and thought it was a great little story, and it made me smile! :greengrin

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/3opar5/how_football_manager_changed_my_life/

Here's a quoted version.

[COLOR=#444444][FONT=sans-serif]

What a great story eh? Would be amazing if the club somehow used this as promotion or something like that, maybe sending him a shirt to Brazil or anything! :greengrin
That was a really nice read ☺

sleeping giant
31-10-2015, 10:50 AM
Someone else after a free holiday ? :greengrin

Worked before

portyhibernian
31-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Brilliant, think the club should at least get a shirt to the guy!

Thecat23
31-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Brilliant, get this lad over for a game 😃

Glory Lurker
31-10-2015, 11:11 AM
Stubbs out, Affleck in! :greengrin

Cracking story.

Greencore
31-10-2015, 11:15 AM
We need to get in contact with him and send the laddie a shirt! Great story and liked the part "Jason Cummings is such a bitch in the game" hahaha.

frazeHFC
31-10-2015, 11:16 AM
Great read :thumbsup:

FranckSuzy
31-10-2015, 01:16 PM
I'm always looking for an excuse to start 'scranning' again so let's club together and get him over here (half joking!) :greengrin

Don't play this game but that was a great read :aok:

Hannah_hfc
31-10-2015, 01:20 PM
I'd be all up for chipping in to get this guy a shirt!

Has anyone got reddit and can get in touch? Was a lovely post to read!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Onceinawhile
31-10-2015, 01:20 PM
I'd be all up for chipping in to get this guy a shirt!

Has anyone got reddit and can get in touch? Was a lovely post to read!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

He's on twitter as well, under his reddit name.

Danderhall Hibs
31-10-2015, 01:37 PM
Someone else after a free holiday ? :greengrin

Worked before

:hilarious Whatever happened to that guy?

Mcpakeisgod
31-10-2015, 02:07 PM
The chaps been notified of his hibs.net fame on Twitter

EdinMike
31-10-2015, 02:09 PM
The chaps been notified of his hibs.net fame on Twitter

Hopefully he'll register so he can see how bitter we all are ha ! ;)

SteveHFC
31-10-2015, 02:12 PM
I won the Uefa Cup back to back with Hibs on FM 09 and the champions league on FM10. :wink:

givescotlandfreedom
31-10-2015, 02:18 PM
Quality story. Welcome to Hibernian :)

Mcpakeisgod
31-10-2015, 02:40 PM
On the reddit it seems he doesn't have the cash as the pounds so strong, would be brilliant if we just pitched in a few pound each and send him a strip with his name on the back

Mcpakeisgod
31-10-2015, 03:48 PM
Just messaged me on Twitter ! The guys registering on good old hibs.net!

HoboHarry
31-10-2015, 04:07 PM
On the reddit it seems he doesn't have the cash as the pounds so strong, would be brilliant if we just pitched in a few pound each and send him a strip with his name on the back
Where does he live?

Mcpakeisgod
31-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Brazil

Danderhall Hibs
31-10-2015, 05:14 PM

If we get enough to cover the fares etc, I'm willing to hand deliver it.

Speedy
31-10-2015, 05:25 PM
Anyone know Leeann? Would be great if the club sent him a shirt.

Speedy
31-10-2015, 05:26 PM
If we get enough to cover the fares etc, I'm willing to hand deliver it.

Funnily enough, I'm thinking of going over for the Olympics. Would happily take next year's kit over with me.

HoboHarry
31-10-2015, 05:27 PM
Brazil
Can we get the name Benny put on the back of the shirt? :greengrin

mutley
31-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Really nice story, I'd chip in to get him a shirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mcpakeisgod
31-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Can we get the name Benny put on the back of the shirt? :greengrin

Haha that would be tremendous!

davidw
31-10-2015, 06:19 PM
Eh.... perhaps he should just get out more..

GlasgowHibee
31-10-2015, 06:45 PM

Lighten up.

Baxter's Soup
31-10-2015, 06:50 PM
Wow, I haven't posted on here in over two years (I am however a serial lurker) but as a hibee living in São Paulo I would like to invite the reddit guy to get in touch with me if he wants (If you join the site and read this send me a PM!) I will also be returning to Edinburgh for christmas and would be happy to bring back a shirt or any other merchandise. Strangely enough I haven't met any hibees over here so it would be nice to have some company. :agree:

Derry Hibee
31-10-2015, 07:51 PM
I think it would be more relevant to sign Christian koppel! A couple of cup final goals there to his name :)

Mcpakeisgod
31-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Wow, I haven't posted on here in over two years (I am however a serial lurker) but as a hibee living in São Paulo I would like to invite the reddit guy to get in touch with me if he wants (If you join the site and read this send me a PM!) I will also be returning to Edinburgh for christmas and would be happy to bring back a shirt or any other merchandise. Strangely enough I haven't met any hibees over here so it would be nice to have some company. :agree:
Once his confirmation comes through in sure he will be right I contact with you mate

GlasgowHibee
31-10-2015, 11:23 PM

Sounds great, would be cool if you two could start up the samba section of our support. :greengrin

Bay Area Hibees
31-10-2015, 11:23 PM
Great thread.
baxter wish I knew you were in SP, I was there a lot working before and around the World Cup.
therevare hibees here, there and everywhere ....

J-C
31-10-2015, 11:46 PM
Super wee read, must admit Football manager can get you like that, you get immersed in the game and feel like you get to know the players too. I took Hibs to a European semi when I played FM12, I had a regen player who I got from Feyenoord, he was 17 and by the time he was 22, he'd scored over 80 goals.
I hope he gets in touch on here, it would be brill if we can get a shirt to him too.

The Green Goblin
01-11-2015, 12:39 AM

I lived in Sao Paulo for the past eight years mate, and it often came up on here, plus it was on my sig!! How is it we never knew of each other or met up? There is one hibee still there. He doesn't post on here but is on the hibslist and is a well known journalist and football book author. Pm me and I will put you in touch. Cheers. M

Pete
01-11-2015, 12:51 AM

:tee hee:

Baxter's Soup
01-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Seems there are a fair few hibees who have lived in Brazil then? I have only been living here for six months so that would be why I never contacted you guys before, sorry! What were your teams through here? Yeah the east definitely needs a samba area, maybe section 42?

nonshinyfinish
01-11-2015, 12:54 PM
Would be great if Hibs could get Jason to sign a shirt and send it to him – costs us essentially nothing and would probably make the guy's year.

Maybe someone with contacts at the club 9through LWT or whatever) could suggest his to Leeann?

Onceinawhile
01-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Would be great if Hibs could get Jason to sign a shirt and send it to him – costs us essentially nothing and would probably make the guy's year.

Maybe someone with contacts at the club 9through LWT or whatever) could suggest his to Leeann?

Going to sound like a right moaning faces git here. But why?

It would make my year if Hibs gave me a free strip, but that's unlikely to happen. I've actually been to a number of games this season too.

nonshinyfinish
01-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Going to sound like a right moaning faces git here. But why?

It would make my year if Hibs gave me a free strip, but that's unlikely to happen. I've actually been to a number of games this season too.

I take your point, but the reason is that it's a one-off, feel-good promotional story. Obviously Hibs can't give out free strips to everyone.

It's not like he's written to the club asking for free stuff, he's just written a sincere and heartwarming story online about how he came to love a team from thousands of miles away.

It's impossible to be completely 'fair' with stuff like this – you can't determine the most deserving fan for a free shirt – but in my view that's not a reason to avoid doing it at all.

I do understand your objection though.

Onceinawhile
01-11-2015, 01:27 PM
I take your point, but the reason is that it's a one-off, feel-good promotional story. Obviously Hibs can't give out free strips to everyone.

It's not like he's written to the club asking for free stuff, he's just written a sincere and heartwarming story online about how he came to love a team from thousands of miles away.

It's impossible to be completely 'fair' with stuff like this – you can't determine the most deserving fan for a free shirt – but in my view that's not a reason to avoid doing it at all.

I do understand your objection though.

I see your point and I'm probably being ott moany about it.

I suppose the question is, what will Hibs get out of doing it? If the answer is something tangible then yup - bash on.

If not - don't.

My_Wife_Camille
01-11-2015, 02:54 PM

The guy definitely needs to get out more but he's not harming anyone I suppose. Maybe his own mental health long term.....

Anyway.. Baxter's Soup. There's another Hibee in São Paulo, living in Lapa... a friend of mine.. A really wonderful human being, talented footballer, big personality and former Hibs.net rabble rouser..

Send me a pm and by the grace of God I can put you in touch.

Haaaaaaare Krishna.

Speedy
01-11-2015, 08:58 PM

I suppose the question is, what will Hibs get out of doing it? If the answer is something tangible then yup - bash on.

If not - don't.

Some clubs spend millions on global marketing and branding. If we get one quality player thinking 'yeah, I've heard of Hibernian - they sound like a good club, I'll give them a try' or even a few fans thinking 'Hibernian - let's catch one of their games and pick up a shirt while we're in Edinburgh' then it's worthwhile.

Great story! I'm sure we did our new Brazilian friend proud today.

wookie70
01-11-2015, 09:54 PM
Can one of the .net historians knock him up a few paragraphs of how Hibs taught Brasil how to play football

1875STEVE
02-11-2015, 02:25 PM
Just to let admin know, I've been talking to the laddie on twitter, he has tried registering, but hasn't had the conformation email, so cant log in.

Its not in his junk folder either, I got himto check.

Haymaker
02-11-2015, 02:34 PM
What's his twitter handle?

Iain G
02-11-2015, 02:37 PM

If not - don't.

Yes probably being OTT moany :wink::greengrin

If Hibs can get some good positive publicity out of something that would barely cost the club £50 I don't really see a downside here :agree:

Godsahibby
02-11-2015, 03:08 PM
Can one of the .net historians knock him up a few paragraphs of how Hibs taught Brasil how to play football

I have still got the paper cutting from the Scotsman when it was printed a good few years agi.

Centre Hawf
02-11-2015, 03:19 PM

Sure it would be a good way to apologise for him leaving for Brentford :greengrin

I'd definitely chip in a few quid for this to happen!

nellio
02-11-2015, 03:49 PM
Love it!

I enjoy a good game on footie manager myself so was great reading this!

1875STEVE
02-11-2015, 04:29 PM
What's his twitter handle?

@reislapertosa

👍

MSK
02-11-2015, 04:42 PM
Just to let admin know, I've been talking to the laddie on twitter, he has tried registering, but hasn't had the conformation email, so cant log in.

Its not in his junk folder either, I got himto check.Cant see him at this end, saw his pre-registration yest but it has since disappeared. Ask him to try again..

FranckSuzy
02-11-2015, 05:02 PM
@reislapertosa

:aok:

It's great that folk are sending him clips of games like 6-2 etc :thumbsup: I think he's converted :agree: :greengrin

LucasLapertosa
04-11-2015, 12:23 AM

Hey guys! Finally i've been able to register and come here to talk to you all, and i can't tell how happy i am to see that you liked my little tale, and i got little emotional and i noticed that lots of people talking to me over Twitter, welcoming to the family and sending me videos!

For real, i really think i became a Hibs fan for real! And cmon, Jasom Cummings score a screamer againts Rangers, maybe he's not a bitch after all HAHAHAH

Cmon, guys. You all made me feel really good, since i'm a guy from Brazil that have no real connection with Scottish Football, and to think that Football Manager could make me connect more and more with Hibernian FC and give me the posibility to make friends over seas it's simply unreal! I'm really happy with all your replies to my FM Story!

I can't wait to get to know you guys, make friends, and see how real Hibernian lovers are!

Looking forward to hear from you guys!

And above all else

GGTTH! :giruy2:

LucasLapertosa
04-11-2015, 12:25 AM

Hey Baxter! I'm finally here! I'm really excited to talk to you, since you live in Brazil as well! São Paulo? Unfortunately i live in Belo Horizonte, but we could still arrange something. If you come by the city i would be glad to meet you!

LucasLapertosa
04-11-2015, 12:29 AM
:aok:

It's great that folk are sending him clips of games like 6-2 etc :thumbsup: I think he's converted :agree: :greengrin

I'm pretty sure i've converted! And to make things more awesome, i was reading this thread, talking to some guys in twitter, and Jason Cummings scored a great goal against Rangers! :greengrin

SteveHFC
04-11-2015, 12:30 AM
Hey guys! Finally i've been able to register and come here to talk to you all, and i can't tell how happy i am to see that you liked my little tale, and i got little emotional and i noticed that lots of people talking to me over Twitter, welcoming to the family and sending me videos!

For real, i really think i became a Hibs fan for real! And cmon, Jasom Cummings score a screamer againts Rangers, maybe he's not a bitch after all HAHAHAH

Cmon, guys. You all made me feel really good, since i'm a guy from Brazil that have no real connection with Scottish Football, and to think that Football Manager could make me connect more and more with Hibernian FC and give me the posibility to make friends over seas it's simply unreal! I'm really happy with all your replies to my FM Story!

I can't wait to get to know you guys, make friends, and see how real Hibernian lovers are!

And above all else

Welcome to the forum mate!

:thumbsup:

LucasLapertosa
04-11-2015, 12:35 AM
I think it would be more relevant to sign Christian koppel! A couple of cup final goals there to his name :)

Absolutely! He was a great player! One of the best in the squad, and he did wonders on the left side of the pitch! :thumbsup:

Greencore
04-11-2015, 12:55 AM

And above all else

Welcome to the forum buddie! Hope to see you on here often. Loved your little tale and glad to see a Hibees across the seas!

Thecat23
04-11-2015, 05:27 AM

And above all else

Welcome to the board mate. Fantastic to read how you got involved supporting us. Spread the word over there 👍🏼

Slicer
04-11-2015, 05:44 AM

And above all else

Welcome!

Please see the below Hibs and Brazil connection.

You might have thought that Pele and the great Brazilian team that won the 1970 World Cup did it all on their own. You'd be wrong.
You possibly think Brazil's mesmerising, free-flowing, samba style was innate and God-given, a natural gift Brazil have that is devoid of nurture. If so, you're wrong again.
The dominance of Brazil was inspired by none other than our very own Hibernian FC, don't believe me? Read on.

The Hibs 'Famous Five' of Gordon Smith, Willie Ormond, Eddie Turnbull, Bobby Johnstone and Lawrie Reilly were the real inspiration behind Brazil's storm to dominance of international football.
Brazil's football encyclopedia, printed in 1970 just before the world cup in Mexico, contains a whole chapter about Hibs' style of play, highlighting our Famous Five's tactic of constantly swapping positions during a game, and thus beffuddling and confusing opposing teams. In contrast, neither the Scotland national team, or the Old Firm, even get a mention.

Brazil's football manual contained drawings showing Hibs' tactics.

Hibs were included because at the time we were at the forefront of football with our revolutionary style - much in the same way that the 1970's Dutch team was later showered with praise for its 'Total Football'. Brazil's players and coaches recognised the new dynamic that Hibs had brought to football, adopted it, and then improved on it.

Hibs toured Brazil in 1953, drawing 3-3 with Brazil's champions, Vasco de Gama in the massive Maracana stadium. Vasco de Gama were so impressed with Bobby Johnstone and Gordon Smith that they tried to sign them!
It was, of course, in the 50's, that Brazil became a major footballing force, and their evolution culminated in the 1970 World Cup win in Mexico, Brazil's team back then widely being acknowledged as the best coached of all time.

Brazil's disaster in 1966 in England made the samba stars determined to triumph in Mexico, and in the 4 years between '66 and '70, they adopted a new training regime , based on what they had learned from Edinburgh's own Hibernian FC.
Brazil employed this same style of play right up until USA '94

http://www.iancolquhoun.org.uk/how-hibs-taught-brazil-how-to-play-football/

LucasLapertosa
04-11-2015, 02:29 PM
Welcome to the board mate. Fantastic to read how you got involved supporting us. Spread the word over there 

I'll make sure to become active here. I'll plan to visit Edinburgh to see a game, maybe next year. And i hope that i could meet some of you guys and get together to see a game!:thumbsup:

LucasLapertosa
04-11-2015, 02:29 PM
Welcome to the forum buddie! Hope to see you on here often. Loved your little tale and glad to see a Hibees across the seas!

Absolutely! I'll most certainly do my best to follow the Hibees from here!

jabis
04-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Absolutely! I'll most certainly do my best to follow the Hibees from here!

Splendid story my friend,be prepared for some heart stopping moments supporting hibs!