PDA

View Full Version : Deek's Progress?

4 Front Teeth
29-10-2015, 01:34 PM
Anyone know how he's getting on? Hopefully still training with us and getting sharper and fitter by the day...... must have been about 2 months now?

scoopyboy
29-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Anyone know how he's getting on? Hopefully still training with us and getting sharper and fitter by the day...... must have been about 2 months now?

Still there. Getting sharper and fitter with each passing day.

California-Hibs
29-10-2015, 03:16 PM

Is he training with the first team?

HoboHarry
29-10-2015, 04:02 PM

That has got be the equivelant of pre season training he has done now?

Fife-Hibee
29-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Superb news keep it up fella 😎

ancient hibee
29-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Superb news keep it up fella 

And so on for a thousand pages.

scoopyboy
29-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Is he training with the first team?

Yes, and if they are off he's in with the laddies.

hibee92
29-10-2015, 05:55 PM
Still live in hope I'll see him score for Hibs again

sambajustice
29-10-2015, 06:14 PM
I think we're strong enough tbh and the fact he's done next to FA in the last 3 years would make me think we wouldn't want him.

However, surely the fact he's still there training means he's bringing something to the table...

Maybe it's a case of there's no money to offer him... Maybe in January if there's money freed up by players leaving (Eckersly apparently) and maybe another couple would free up some cash...

Hopefully he has another goal against the yam bams in him!

Blaster
29-10-2015, 06:23 PM
I was up at East mains last Friday afternoon for the kids coaching sessions at 2pm and saw Derek and Jason leaving within a few mins of each other but saw no other first teamers.

If he ends up doing no more than passing on tips and his experience to Jason that'll do for me

Ronniekirk
29-10-2015, 06:25 PM
I think we're strong enough tbh and the fact he's done next to FA in the last 3 years would make me think we wouldn't want him.

However, surely the fact he's still there training means he's bringing something to the table...

Maybe it's a case of there's no money to offer him... Maybe in January if there's money freed up by players leaving (Eckersly apparently) and maybe another couple would free up some cash...

Hopefully he has another goal against the yam bams in him!

It's taken Rangers three months to sign up that 35 year old they signed recently so Deeks is a spring chicken compared to him ,so maybe there is still a chance this could happen .and Hibs will know there could be interest in some of our strikers so if one leaves stubbs will have formed a view if he thinks Deeks could do a job

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 Front Teeth
29-10-2015, 07:48 PM
I was up at East mains last Friday afternoon for the kids coaching sessions at 2pm and saw Derek and Jason leaving within a few mins of each other but saw no other first teamers.

If he ends up doing no more than passing on tips and his experience to Jason that'll do for me

That's good to hear purely on the basis that surely Hibs wouldn't want him hanging about with Jason if he was being a bad influence. I've heard stories about Deek being a bit of a pain at East Fife.... hoping these stories just nonsense.

Scouse Hibee
29-10-2015, 08:06 PM
That's good to hear purely on the basis that surely Hibs wouldn't want him hanging about with Jason if he was being a bad influence. I've heard stories about Deek being a bit of a pain at East Fife.... hoping these stories just nonsense.

What stories did you hear about Deek at East Fife?

Prof. Shaggy
29-10-2015, 08:08 PM

I'd be a little surprised if an un-signed player being a bit of a pain at East Mains would continue to be given training facilities for as long as this.

FranckSuzy
29-10-2015, 08:12 PM
I'd be a little surprised if an un-signed player being a bit of a pain at East Mains would continue to be given training facilities for as long as this.

:agree: Exactly.

Jonnyboy
29-10-2015, 08:13 PM

Hmm, interesting. Their manager at the time was keen to keep Derek on but the club didn't have the money to achieve that.

Colr
29-10-2015, 08:15 PM

Day over at 2PM?

dp00
29-10-2015, 08:17 PM
I'd take a wild guess that if there was any doubt deek was being a pin or pissing about he would be out of east mains quicker than you can say Alan Stubbs so it's good he is still there hopefully he is getting himself fit for the chance to find a club in January and get his career back on track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FranckSuzy
29-10-2015, 08:29 PM
I'd take a wild guess that if there was any doubt deek was being a pin or pissing about he would be out of east mains quicker than you can say Alan Stubbs so it's good he is still there hopefully he is getting himself fit for the chance to find a club in January and get his career back on track

No but I heard he'd been needling a few of the lads :tee hee:

Blaster
29-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Day over at 2PM?

Me or them 😃

pacorosssco
29-10-2015, 08:30 PM

With his achievements and connections to club and now hopefully older,wiser he could be a real benefit to have around club. Playing deal or not. He blew it and I think(no evidence) he knows. Could pass invaluable experience on and odd field on. I also doubt he is looking for any kind of wage that would be causing problems(again no evidence). Doubt he can force way in team but Id have him around if head right , forwards kids could learn a ot from him . A hibs man.

4 Front Teeth
29-10-2015, 08:31 PM

That is exactly what I was thinking.... the longer he is with us the more sure we can be that he is going about his business the right way... would love to see him get another few years of goals under his belt!

Scouse Hibee
29-10-2015, 08:35 PM
That is exactly what I was thinking.... the longer he is with us the more sure we can be that he is going about his business the right way... would love to see him get another few years of goals under his belt!

Yes I agree but then you mentioned the stories of East Fife and I wonder if he will be a bad influence to the younger players?

4 Front Teeth
29-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Yes I agree but then you mentioned the stories of East Fife and I wonder if he will be a bad influence to the younger players?

My bet is that the younger players will have heard about him and either seen him play in the past or seen the youtube clips and will just be exited to see him play in the flesh.....

Scouse Hibee
29-10-2015, 08:43 PM
My bet is that the younger players will have heard about him and either seen him play in the past or seen the youtube clips and will just be exited to see him play in the flesh.....

Fair enough.

silverhibee
29-10-2015, 09:21 PM
Day over at 2PM?

The poster did say he seen them on the Friday, Jason had a game the next day and I doubt you would want your players training until tea time, they also need to rest as well and that is what is expected of them after training on a Friday, rest for the game the next day. Did see Derek that day as the youngsters were coming in to EM and they were all over for photos and autographs, few of the dad's also got photos with Derek as well. :greengrin

silverhibee
29-10-2015, 09:22 PM
No but I heard he'd been needling a few of the lads :tee hee:

:shocked::greengrin

pacorosssco
29-10-2015, 09:24 PM
Yes I agree but then you mentioned the stories of East Fife and I wonder if he will be a bad influence to the younger players? could be but naismith was no angel

Blaster
29-10-2015, 09:25 PM
The poster did say he seen them on the Friday, Jason had a game the next day and I doubt you would want your players training until tea time, they also need to rest as well and that is what is expected of them after training on a Friday, rest for the game the next day. Did see Derek that day as the youngsters were coming in to EM and they were all over for photos and autographs, few of the dad's also got photos with Derek as well. :greengrin

I was too shy to ask for the photo 😄

FranckSuzy
29-10-2015, 09:39 PM
:shocked::greengrin

Somewhere subtle :wink: :greengrin

silverhibee
29-10-2015, 09:45 PM
I was too shy to ask for the photo 

I was the same with Jason. :thumbsup:

HH81
29-10-2015, 09:55 PM
I am too shy to speak to Silver, never mind Deek.

MB62
30-10-2015, 08:46 AM
Possibly Anier returning to Dundee Utd and Deeks getting a 6 month deal in January?

Only my thoughts on the matter, no inside info.

4 Front Teeth
30-10-2015, 10:51 AM
If he ends up doing 3 months decent training with us and impresses with attitude, there would be no issues re skill and fitness... it's starting to feel nailed on that we wil sign him.... would be madness not to?

I suppose there are differing degrees of training.... from nipping in to use the gym and kicking a ball about to serious fitness, full training with the team and even exta training after that.

Anyone got a feel for what he's actually up to... how many days a week and how long he is at East Mains each time?

Bad Martini
30-10-2015, 10:58 AM
If he ends up doing 3 months decent training with us and impresses with attitude, there would be no issues re skill and fitness... it's starting to feel nailed on that we wil sign him.... would be madness not to?

I suppose there are differing degrees of training.... from nipping in to use the gym and kicking a ball about to serious fitness, full training with the team and even exta training after that.

Anyone got a feel for what he's actually up to... how many days a week and how long he is at East Mains each time?

Didnt someone post above he was the only player there along with Cummings last Friday?

Also ask yourself why someone would voluntarily ask for training to get fit (And possibly impress)...then skive off :rolleyes::greengrin

...surely sitting at home on yer erse would be easier than getting facilities.............then not using them naw?

Just saying like :devil:

scoopyboy
30-10-2015, 11:09 AM

He does all the training with the first team.

When the first team are off (eg yesterday) he goes in and works with the Development players.

He also sometimes stays back and practices free kicks with one or two others who want to practice as well.

He probably trains more at EM than any other Hibs player.

Other players do have gym memberships and train outwith EM it should be noted.

4 Front Teeth
30-10-2015, 11:11 AM

When the first team are off (eg yesterday) he goes in and works with the Development players.

He also sometimes stays back and practices free kicks with one or two others who want to practice as well.

Cheers.... brilliant to hear he's doing all that! Starting to seriously get my hopes up now!

hibeesboii
30-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Would love to see him at easter road once again.

California-Hibs
30-10-2015, 12:15 PM
It seriously leads me to think that we might just in fact see Riordan back playing for Hibs once again! Sounds like he's doing really well and knuckling down with a lot of hard work.

I have no issues with Hibs offering him a short term contract to see how it goes. Why the heck not?!

"There's only one Derek Riordan, one Derek Riiiiiiordan!!''

4 Front Teeth
30-10-2015, 12:32 PM

Would be cool if someone hid in the bushes to video him practicing free kicks

green.and.white
30-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Would be cool if someone hid in the bushes to video him practicing free kicks

Let's leave hiding in the bushes with a camera to the Jambos

Blaster
30-10-2015, 03:06 PM

Stayed back with Jason for a bit today after the rest of the players finished training

Thecat23
30-10-2015, 03:10 PM
I was against this to start with as I thought he was prob finished. Clearly he's got the head down and is working very hard. I have a little feeling he will get something. Maybe pay as you play or deal till end of the season.

Billy Whizz
30-10-2015, 03:17 PM
Stayed back with Jason for a bit today after the rest of the players finished training

Hope we're giving him some sort of remuneration, if he's helping coaching our emerging stars. Looks like Deeks and Jason have formed a bit of a friendship

Blaster
30-10-2015, 03:17 PM
I was against this to start with as I thought he was prob finished. Clearly he's got the head down and is working very hard. I have a little feeling he will get something. Maybe pay as you play or deal till end of the season.

Do you think he has never been 100% fit when playing for the other clubs recently? I get the feeling we'll give him a deal but not until he is s totally up to speed

Matty_Jack04
30-10-2015, 03:23 PM
Is benni McCarthy still helping out coaching the strikers? Could deeks maybe have slotted in where he left off if he's away?

zlatan
30-10-2015, 03:59 PM
I thought you could see Riordans assistance all over Cummings recent penalty. Very composed and perfectly placed.

Thecat23
30-10-2015, 04:25 PM
Do you think he has never been 100% fit when playing for the other clubs recently? I get the feeling we'll give him a deal but not until he is s totally up to speed

That could well be the case. He was with part time teams so they wouldn't offer the same intense training. If he did get up to speed and Stubbs thinks he can do a job then I'm happy.

As I say, thought he was done but he's working hard so can't knock him for that.

Moulin Yarns
30-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Hope we're giving him some sort of remuneration, if he's helping coaching our emerging stars. Looks like Deeks and Jason have formed a bit of a friendship

That might explain the hair JC is sporting.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-10-2015, 04:41 PM

As I said - if you're going to teach a masterclass might as well use the master...

Aldo
30-10-2015, 04:42 PM

I have a number of contacts at New Bayview and out with who know Deek very well, it's no coincidence that EF went on a great run and were indeed unlucky not to be promoted.

EF showed faith in him and players , especially the lad Nathan Austin, benefitted from Deek being at club!

I for one would prefer to see Deek give. A short term contract rather than the likes of Anier who never appears to be fit.

silverhibee
30-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Is benni McCarthy still helping out coaching the strikers? Could deeks maybe have slotted in where he left off if he's away?

McCarthy is assistant manger at a Belgium team. STTF I think they are called.

silverhibee
30-10-2015, 04:54 PM

Two of them there until the back of 3 today pinging them away, pretty sure Derek will be passing on tips to Jason, "could we see a squiggler" on Sunday. :greengrin. Good that Jason is putting in that wee bit extra by staying behind to practice what he is good at and he will only get better if he is putting in that extra bit.

3pm
30-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Two of them there until the back of 3 today pinging them away, pretty sure Derek will be passing on tips to Jason, "could we see a squiggler" on Sunday. :greengrin. Good that Jason is putting in that wee bit extra by staying behind to practice what he is good at and he will only get better if he is putting in that extra bit.

You in goals gadj?!

Blaster
30-10-2015, 05:23 PM

Derek rattled in a beauty with his last effort before they finished 👍

shetlandhibee
30-10-2015, 11:01 PM
as i said at the begining somebody of deeks talent(whether he gets a short term deal or not)training with the younger players can only be good for them free kicks corners penaltys .hes certainly not disrupted anything.. his time at the club coincides with our great run! by january he,l certainly be a good sighning for some team in the league,,, heres hopeing :agree::flag:

Haymaker
30-10-2015, 11:08 PM
:hyper: he is coming home!

Alex Trager
31-10-2015, 10:03 AM

The two of then scoring two each against the hearts would be unbelievable.

erin-go-bragh87
31-10-2015, 11:22 AM
The two of then scoring two each against the hearts would be unbelievable.

To be honest I'd settle for a 3 yard tap in consolation goal in a 3-1 defeat to Clachnacuddin if it meant seeing him score for the Hibs one more time.

WellingtonHibby
01-11-2015, 12:12 AM
To be honest I'd settle for a 3 yard tap in consolation goal in a 3-1 defeat to Clachnacuddin if it meant seeing him score for the Hibs one more time.

Would you? I'd be raging.

Iceman1875
01-11-2015, 08:07 AM
Noticed today Deek came up as someone you may know on 'linkedin' - currently training with hibs and looking for a club.... [emoji119]🏻

At Easter Road we play...

hibeeleicester
01-11-2015, 12:51 PM
Jason's goal had Deek written all over it!

Peevemor
01-11-2015, 02:06 PM

I thought exactly the same thing as I watched it.

Danderhall Hibs
01-11-2015, 02:09 PM

Text my mates the same.

Billy Whizz
01-11-2015, 03:03 PM

I said the same, hopefully the practicising they've been doing together has paid off

Galahibby
01-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Garry's just been given the gig at Selkirk. He'll be looking for a no. 2 :wink:

Onceinawhile
01-11-2015, 03:29 PM

Deek plays up front, not right back.

Galahibby
01-11-2015, 05:56 PM

:wink:

dp00
01-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Just thinking is deek the lucky charm ... Have we lost since he started training with us :)

lucky
01-11-2015, 10:32 PM
Deeks is s Hibs legend but we can't turn back the clock. No one can beat time, his age and lack of games in the last 3 years makes it near impossible for him to come back Hibs and contribute to the first team

Scott Allan Key
01-11-2015, 11:10 PM
Deeks is s Hibs legend but we can't turn back the clock. No one can beat time, his age and lack of games in the last 3 years makes it near impossible for him to come back Hibs and contribute to the first team

He is suggested to be helping the younger players. We've scored some rakers this season, not just from Cummings. Perhaps he's the secret 12th man behind an improvement in chance conversion?

Alex Trager
02-11-2015, 09:29 PM
Others have beaten me to it but the zing kings zing had deek all over it

Golden Bear
04-11-2015, 01:53 PM
Garry O'Connor (who is the new Manager of Selkirk) is trying to entice Deek to play for Selkirk in the Lowland league according to a local newspaper:-

"I will keep pestering Derek but he is hoping to get a full time contract in the transfer window. He's training with Hibs - and by all accounts he's flying. He knows there's an opportunity for him at Selkirk - you just never know"

Scottie
04-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Garry O'Connor (who is the new Manager of Selkirk) is trying to entice Deek to play for Selkirk in the Lowland league according to a local newspaper:-

"I will keep pestering Derek but he is hoping to get a full time contract in the transfer window. He's training with Hibs - and by all accounts he's flying. He knows there's an opportunity for him at Selkirk - you just never know"
:hyper Up wi the Souters

Smartie
04-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Noticed today Deek came up as someone you may know on 'linkedin' - currently training with hibs and looking for a club.... [emoji119]

At Easter Road we play...

Nothing whatsoever to do with this thread but on the "people you might be friends with" section on my Facebook page Claudio Cannigia keeps on popping up.

I can't for the life of me think why this keeps happening (I have no links to the man, nor do I know anyone who has) but I do quite like it.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Nothing whatsoever to do with this thread but on the "people you might be friends with" section on my Facebook page Claudio Cannigia keeps on popping up.

I can't for the life of me think why this keeps happening (I have no links to the man, nor do I know anyone who has) but I do quite like it.

I get rudi the schnozz

Edson Arantes
04-11-2015, 04:56 PM

Thought that as well but, not being the pedantic type...:wink:

worcesterhibby
04-11-2015, 05:16 PM

I believe Terry Butcher is a complete number 2

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-11-2015, 05:20 PM
Thought that as well but, not being the pedantic type...:wink:

And to be fair, we have always only played right backs at right back.

rodhibs55
04-11-2015, 07:42 PM
I believe Terry Butcher is a complete number 2

And a large one at that

NYHibby
04-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Still live in hope I'll see him score for Hibs again

There is always Lewis's testimonial...

ano hibby
04-11-2015, 09:27 PM
Nice to see Deek on the pitch at HT tonight

FranckSuzy
04-11-2015, 10:23 PM

:agree:

California-Hibs
05-11-2015, 04:59 AM

What was he doing on the pitch? Half time draw?

hibee_girl
05-11-2015, 06:08 AM
What was he doing on the pitch? Half time draw?

:agree:

Peevemor
11-11-2015, 07:56 AM
There's a thing in the DR today where Jason Cummings acknowledges Deek's help and influence.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/jason-cummings-id-love-mirror-6806597

EASTER Road sensation Cummings insists his recent goal rush is down to gems of advice he's picked up from the former Celtic striker

JASON CUMMINGS has revealed how ex-Hibs and Celtic striker Derek Riordan has become his role model at Easter Road.
Riordan has been training with Alan Stubbs’ outfit since September in a bid to stay in shape as he seeks a new club.
The 32-year-old famously netted 104 goals in two stints at Easter Road and was named the 2005 Scottish Young Player of the Year before signing for Celtic in the summer of 2006.
And Cummings puts his lethal scoring form (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/james-keatings-whoever-keeps-top-6800946) down to learning at the feet of the former Scotland striker.
The 20-year-old, who has found the net in his last seven games, said: “Derek has been training with us for the last few months and I’ve learned a lot.

“I’ve just been watching him in training and he’s been different class in telling me a lot of things in terms of working on my game and finishing.
“I think that’s probably why I’ve been in this good spell. Since he’s been in with us I’ve scored in every game.
“The other night I typed his name into YouTube and watched some of his goals. Some of his strikes were just unbelievable back in the day.
“He is the same now and he still sticks the ball in the top corner at finishing drills. It is a joy to watch Derek and learn from him.

“Hibs are a great club for creating players who go on to bigger and better things. I do look up to a lot of the players who have developed here and taken a step up.

“Most of them have done well for Scotland too.”
Riordan, though, never fulfilled his potential after he signed for Celtic.
He ended up back at Easter Road where he again hit the goal trail to become the third highest SPL scorer ever. In 2011 the hitman moved to China and spells at
St Johnstone, Bristol Rovers, Alloa, Brechin and East Fife followed.
His career trajectory and off-the-field antics over the years are a cautionary tale for the likes of Cummings.
But the youngster preferred to focus on the positive influence that Riordan has brought to his game on the park rather than the troubles that afflicted him off it.

When asked if he could learn any lessons from Riordan’s mistakes outwith football Cummings said: “That’s true. Derek has given me a few pointers on different things away
from football.
“He has helped me a lot. Derek has had a great career and played at the top and got his move to Celtic and he was different class at Hibs.
“He was an unbelievable player and it is a pleasure to train with him and learn from him.”
Cummings readily admits he is in the form of his life and is confident he can score in every game.
Now he is determined to break his international scoring duck as Ricky Sbragia’s Under-21s take centre stage this weekend when they take on Ukraine in a must-win Euro 2017 Championship qualifier at St Mirren Park on Friday night.
Cummings said: “I’m having the best scoring spell of my career and I’m looking forward to being involved with the U21s.

“With the way I’m feeling now I’m going into every game knowing I’m going to score.
“I’ve scored in my last seven games for Hibs so I’m looking forward to trying to score for the U21s as I haven’t managed to do that yet. Scotland are there and thereabouts in this group and Friday is a massive game for us.”
Cummings was top scorer in the Championship last season with a tally of 21 goals.
And he is now looking to emulate Leicester City’s man of the moment Jamie Vardy in this campaign.
He said: “I have been watching Vardy and he said recently he wanted to score in every game.
“I am the same and I want to keep up with him this season although he has scored a few more than me. He has set a decent target
“I was top scorer in the league last season and I am just trying to improve and score more goals this time.
“If I do that then it will be perfect for me.”

erin go bragh
11-11-2015, 09:05 AM
It was nice surprise but thought the announcer could have juiced it up a bit [ scoring 104 goals for Hibernian ,,,,] Quite a large number of folk in the FF lower didnt here who was announced .

happiehibbie
11-11-2015, 09:40 AM
It was nice surprise but thought the announcer could have juiced it up a bit [ scoring 104 goals for Hibernian ,,,,] Quite a large number of folk in the FF lower didnt here who was announced .

the announcer is Murder !

southsider
11-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Just let him coach the forwards. If by this he can get an extra 6-10 goals a season from them them then he will be worth his weight in gold.

Danderhall Hibs
11-11-2015, 11:13 AM
There's a thing in the DR today where Jason Cummings acknowledges Deek's help and influence.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/jason-cummings-id-love-mirror-6806597

Bit strange that Jason pronounces the under 21s as "U21s"? Doesn't seem to fit when you say it out loud.

4 Front Teeth
11-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Lovely to see Jason talking about Derek in such a way. If he’s doing so well in training it does make you wonder!
In a recent interview Stubs was on about how he and the team let Scott Allen away with a lot of non attacking duties and that now he is gone everyone does what they are supposed to. When I read that I was wondering if that thinking would impact on Derek’s chances getting a game for us as he doesn’t have a reputation for tracking back etc? I thought he wasn’t too bad at that in his 2nd spell with us.

Weststandwanab
11-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Bit strange that Jason pronounces the under 21s as "U21s"? Doesn't seem to fit when you say it out loud.

If he keeps scoring like he has The Muffin Man can pronounce anything any way he likes in my book.

snooky
11-11-2015, 02:29 PM
Daily Roaster :"EASTER Road sensation Cummings insists his recent goal rush is down to gems of advice he's picked up from the former Celtic striker"

They just canny help themelves. :rolleyes:

jacomo
11-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Lovely to see Jason talking about Derek in such a way. If he’s doing so well in training it does make you wonder!
In a recent interview Stubs was on about how he and the team let Scott Allen away with a lot of non attacking duties and that now he is gone everyone does what they are supposed to. When I read that I was wondering if that thinking would impact on Derek’s chances getting a game for us as he doesn’t have a reputation for tracking back etc? I thought he wasn’t too bad at that in his 2nd spell with us.

I remember watching DR put in a hard-working shift on the left wing under Yogi. He wasn't as lazy as people made out. But he also wasn't the quickest, and he clearly wanted to stay in an attacking position all the time.

Could he get a contract as striker coach?

hibeeleicester
14-12-2015, 10:06 PM
What's the script? Stubbs talking about wanting a striker in January?

Glorious St Pat
14-12-2015, 10:13 PM
What's the script? Stubbs talking about wanting a striker in January?

Suzy from St Pats asked the question to Stubbs last Thurs at the Q&A and it was an emphatic "NO" from Stubbs of Deek signing or being involved in any official capacity. Saying that he was grateful to DEEK and his professionalism in training.

hibeeleicester
14-12-2015, 10:19 PM
Suzy from St Pats asked the question to Stubbs last Thurs at the Q&A and it was an emphatic "NO" from Stubbs of Deek signing or being involved in any official capacity. Saying that he was grateful to DEEK and his professionalism in training.

Would Stubbs say yes in that situation though if we were considering signing him?

And after all this time he's had no offers from anywhere else?

Ronniekirk
14-12-2015, 11:01 PM

Have finally accepted he won't be taken on in any capacity If he can't get a club In January ,wonder if he will continue Training with Hibs just for the love of the Club ,keeping fit and watching Jason progress

Hibbyradge
15-12-2015, 12:50 AM
Would Stubbs say yes in that situation though if we were considering signing him?

Stop. Now.

For you're own sake.

https://guypedliham.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/3-3.jpg

Forza Fred
15-12-2015, 04:21 AM

Alan Stubbs would not like to a gathering of Hibs supporters.

To think he would is I suggest, disrespectful.

jodjam
15-12-2015, 06:27 AM
Stop. Now.

For you're own sake.

Like it

4 Front Teeth
15-12-2015, 07:29 AM
If he was going to get another club surely his best chance would have been as a free agent outside the window? In Jan clubs can sign who they want (subject to finances).

FranckSuzy
15-12-2015, 09:23 AM
Stop. Now.

For you're own sake.

That picture could also apply to your spelling :na na: :greengrin

FranckSuzy
15-12-2015, 09:29 AM

I asked AS the question and he said that it had never been in his plans to sign Deek but he appreciated his efforts and he had been no problem whatsoever to deal with.

I also queried whether he had had an influence on JC as, to me anyway, some of the shots/free kicks etc he's attempted have Deek written all over them. AS said JC is his own man but yes, Deek's influence may well have rubbed off :aok:

MrSmith
15-12-2015, 09:29 AM
Absolutely ridiculous! Having a striker of his caliber training with us and we won't even consider him?? He would rip up he last part of the season and for me, would secure us promotion!!! Very shortsighted by AS.

marinello59
15-12-2015, 09:32 AM
Absolutely ridiculous! Having a striker of his caliber training with us and we won't even consider him?? He would rip up he last part of the season and for me, would secure us promotion!!! Very shortsighted by AS.

Eh?
He sees him every day, do you honestly think he wouldn't sign him if he saw someone who would 'rip up the last part of the season' ?
How do you feel that he is doing on the training ground and what is it you have seen to base your judgement on?

Thecat23
15-12-2015, 09:32 AM

AS knows better than me and you, we have no idea how he'd do. AS may also have a striker in mind already who's a far better player than Derek is and has sell on potential.

Hibbyradge
15-12-2015, 09:34 AM
That picture could also apply to your spelling :na na: :greengrin

:embarrass

A deserved reprimand although I suggest that you're clutching at straws in suggesting that my poor grammar was clutching at straws! :na na:

MrSmith
15-12-2015, 09:46 AM
Eh?
He sees him every day, do you honestly think he wouldn't sign him if he saw someone who would 'rip up the last part of the season' ?
How do you feel that he is doing on the training ground and what is it you have seen to base your judgement on?

Then for me, why is he still training with us? I have no experience but base my judgment on 100+ goals for hibs!

Thecat23 - AS knows better than me and you, we have no idea how he'd do. AS may also have a striker in mind already who's a far better player than Derek is and has sell on potential.

I agree, he most likely does. Can you think of anyone better than Deek? I really can't within our budget :(

hibs0666
15-12-2015, 09:49 AM

He used to be of 'that calber' that you are talking about. He is no longer playing at that level. You need to move on.

Hibbyradge
15-12-2015, 09:51 AM

Dropping one of our current strikers for a 32 year old guy who has hardly played for 4 years, never mind ripped any leagues up, and was disappointing the last time he played for Hibs in 2011, would be ridiculous.

As Marinello points out, Alan Stubbs sees DR in training. If he had anything to offer which would improve the squad, he would have been signed up.

Hibbyradge
15-12-2015, 09:53 AM
Then for me, why is he still training with us? I have no experience but base my judgment on 100+ goals for hibs!

I agree, he most likely does. Can you think of anyone better than Deek? I really can't within our budget :(

Every striker in our team is better than Deek. Maybe not better than he was 12 years ago, but certainly better than he is now.

MWHIBBIES
15-12-2015, 10:11 AM
Absolutely ridiculous! Having a striker of his caliber training with us and we won't even consider him?? He would rip up he last part of the season and for me, would secure us promotion!!! Very shortsighted by AS.:faf: have a word.

15-12-2015, 11:50 AM

I'll leave the judgement up to AS. He's seeing Deek everyday in training and will have considered him but i assume not for long. AS it therefore best placed to judge if Deek could contribute anything positive to the current team. We seem to have selective memory of Deek on here. Yes he scored 100+ goals for the Club but when was the last one of these? Last I saw him in a Hibs jersey he was nowhere near the player he was before he went to Celtic, and since then his career has gone backwards. He last played for us 4 1/2 seasons ago and in that time his league appearance/goal stats have been;

Years
Team
Apps†
(Gls)†

Shaanxi Chan-Ba (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaanxi_Renhe_Commercial_Chanba_F.C.)
(1)

St. Johnstone (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Johnstone_F.C.)
(0)

Bristol Rovers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Rovers_F.C.)
(0)

Alloa Athletic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alloa_Athletic_F.C.)
(0)

Brechin City (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brechin_City_F.C.) (trialist)
(0)

East Fife (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Fife_F.C.)
(4)

Forget the name of the player for a minute. If we were presented with these stats for a 32 yr old (33 in January) player we were about to sign we'd be up in arms.

I wish Deek all the best in getting a Club and its great to see Stubbs helping him on that process but let's park this nonsense once and for all and move on.

BSEJVT
15-12-2015, 01:41 PM
I'll leave the judgement up to AS. He's seeing Deek everyday in training and will have considered him but i assume not for long. AS it therefore best placed to judge if Deek could contribute anything positive to the current team. We seem to have selective memory of Deek on here. Yes he scored 100+ goals for the Club but when was the last one of these? Last I saw him in a Hibs jersey he was nowhere near the player he was before he went to Celtic, and since then his career has gone backwards. He last played for us 4 1/2 seasons ago and in that time his league appearance/goal stats have been;

Years
Team
Apps†
(Gls)†

Shaanxi Chan-Ba (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaanxi_Renhe_Commercial_Chanba_F.C.)
(1)

St. Johnstone (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Johnstone_F.C.)
(0)

Bristol Rovers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Rovers_F.C.)
(0)

Alloa Athletic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alloa_Athletic_F.C.)
(0)

Brechin City (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brechin_City_F.C.) (trialist)
(0)

East Fife (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Fife_F.C.)
(4)

Forget the name of the player for a minute. If we were presented with these stats for a 32 yr old (33 in January) player we were about to sign we'd be up in arms.

I wish Deek all the best in getting a Club and its great to see Stubbs helping him on that process but let's park this nonsense once and for all and move on.

I am not in the we should sign Deek camp at all, but regardless of your perspective these stats are a criminal waste of a talent

lyonhibs
15-12-2015, 02:19 PM
I am not in the we should sign Deek camp at all, but regardless of your perspective these stats are a criminal waste of a talent

Self inflicted of course, but a real shame nonetheless.

Am I alone in thinking Deeks was thoroughly good for us in most of his 2nd spell?? I'm delighted to say I was there when he pinged in that absolute pearler against Hamilton on his 2nd starting debut for us.

Great player, but past it now.

Haymaker
15-12-2015, 02:23 PM
Once he is in the Green and White he will roll back the years. :agree:

Nando™
15-12-2015, 02:54 PM
Incredible :hilarious

Thecat23
15-12-2015, 03:13 PM

All strikers we have just now are better than him. Or he'd be in the team playing in front of them. If Stubbs can pick up guys like Keatings on our budget I'm happy to wait for what he brings in.

Derek is there helping bring on the likes of Jason and others. It's just the same as having someone who's played come back and give pointers to the guys who played in a similar position.

If Stubbs hasn't seen anything in all this time Derek has been helping then he's clearly not good enough for what we want!

cmcd
15-12-2015, 05:35 PM

Have you seen DR play recently. He is not the player you remember and certainly not good enough for Hibs Why do you think he hasn't had ANY offers

MWHIBBIES
15-12-2015, 06:12 PM

I agree, he most likely does. Can you think of anyone better than Deek? I really can't within our budget :(We have 4 (not including Anier who I haven't seen enough of) better strikers right now who are all within out budget. Stubbs signed 3 of them and I trust him to pick up another.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
23-12-2015, 09:55 AM
http://dlyr.ec/YW8MNc

Genuinely feel sorry for Derek.

erin go bragh
23-12-2015, 10:02 AM
Maybe Deeks will get a part time coaching the strikers gig at Hibs .

GGTTH

lord bunberry
23-12-2015, 10:33 AM
http://dlyr.ec/YW8MNc

I feel sorry for the fans of the teams he could be playing for. He's got more talent than any player in the 2 leagues below us and more than most in the other 2 leagues. 3 months hard training with hibs will have him ready to walk into most teams first 11, it's madness that no club has picked him up.

Smartie
23-12-2015, 10:38 AM
I feel sorry for the fans of the teams he could be playing for. He's got more talent than any player in the 2 leagues below us and more than most in the other 2 leagues. 3 months hard training with hibs will have him ready to walk into most teams first 11, it's madness that no club has picked him up.

:top marks

I'd like to see Dunfermline take a punt on him.

They're playing well, will be creating chances and need to win every week in order to get promotion. That's the kind of club that needs a proven goalscorer and they have drawn a few blanks recently.

I reckon he'd score a hatful for them and get right back on track.

lord bunberry
23-12-2015, 10:41 AM
:top marks

I'd like to see Dunfermline take a punt on him.

They're playing well, will be creating chances and need to win every week in order to get promotion. That's the kind of club that needs a proven goalscorer and they have drawn a few blanks recently.

I reckon he'd score a hatful for them and get right back on track.
Funnily enough Dunfermline was one of the teams I was thinking about.

leggeto
23-12-2015, 10:43 AM
If I was the hibs manager I'd give him a game as long as the hunger to play is there

Michael
23-12-2015, 10:48 AM
If I was the hibs manager I'd give him a game as long as the hunger to play is there

I'm glad you're not the manager then!:wink:

leggeto
23-12-2015, 10:50 AM
I'm glad you're not the manager then!:wink:

Cmon I bet you'd like to see him have a wee go

Blaster
23-12-2015, 10:50 AM
Maybe worth waiting to see who gets the Livingston job

bigwheel
23-12-2015, 10:59 AM
Cmon I bet you'd like to see him have a wee go

I wouldn't. He has spent over 3 months under Stubbs eye in training...Stubbs has decided nothing will happen...that said, I hope he finds a new club and gets back to doing what he does best.

SeanWilson
23-12-2015, 11:00 AM
He should go down the same route as GOC - take on his badges and maybe even play/manage at a lower level. Perhaps hibs could take him on in a coaching capacity? It's clear if AS thought he had something to offer on the pitch, he'd have been on our books by now.

BSEJVT
23-12-2015, 11:17 AM
He should go down the same route as GOC - take on his badges and maybe even play/manage at a lower level. Perhaps hibs could take him on in a coaching capacity? It's clear if AS thought he had something to offer on the pitch, he'd have been on our books by now.

I am sorry, no-one liked Deek more than me in his first spell and I think he is often unfairly criticised for his second, but the only person to blame for his current predicament is himself.

Far too late in the day he realised that he couldn't get by on talent alone but by then he was / is a spent force.

Hibs have done him a massive favour helping him get as fit as he can but we are a football club not a charity.

The baggage he has and always likely will carry with him, whether it be his attitude or the company he keeps make employing him in any backroom role too great a risk.

He rang rings round Yogi and RP the last time he was here and I was surprised we even entertained having him back for training.

Far too may folk on here have grown up watching Rocky films where the aging contender halls himself up for one final effort and climbs to the summit again.

Life's not like that, for every Rocky there are a million Ricky Hatton's whose best days are long behind them and take on one fight too much and get battered and damage their reputation.

I will happily remember some of Deek's over 100 Hibs goals but if folk were able to criticise his last spell they would crucify him now and I think he deserves better than that.

Its not as if he has been injured these last 4 years, he has been unfit and disinterested, not even Rocky could come back from 4 years away!

Haymaker
23-12-2015, 11:25 AM
I am sorry, no-one liked Deek more than me in his first spell and I think he often unfairly criticised for his second but the only person to blame for his current predicament is himself.

Far too late in the day he realised that he couldn't get by on talent alone but by then he was / is a spent force.

Hibs have done him a massive favour helping him get as fit as he can but we are a football club not a charity.

The baggage he has and always likely will carry with him, whether it be his attitude or the company he keeps make employing him in any backroom role too great a risk.

He rang rings round Yogi and RP the last time he was here and I was surprised we even entertained having him back for training.

Far too may folk on here have grown up watching Rocky films where the aging contender halls himself up for one final effort and climbs to the summit again.

Life's not like that, for every Rocky there are a million Ricky Hatton's whose best days are long behind them and take on one fight too much and get battered and damage their reputation.

I will happily remember some of Deek's over 100 Hibs goals but if folk were able to criticise his last spell they would crucify him now and I think he deserves better than that.

Its not as if he has been injured these last 4 years, he has been unfit and disinterested, not even Rocky could come back from 4 years away!

Think you will find Rocky did come back and from a lot longer than that out!!

BSEJVT
23-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Think you will find Rocky did come back and from a lot longer than that out!!

Did he really, wow I kind of lost interest after Rocky 3:greengrin

Haymaker
23-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Did he really, wow I kind of lost interest after Rocky 3:greengrin

After he defeated Communism in 4 he didn't fight again until Balboa which is 20 years later.

KeithTheHibby
23-12-2015, 11:40 AM
He must be pretty fit now having been training in what I would think a high intensive situation for the last 3 months. I would imagine this will be his last opportunity to find a club.

Lago
23-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Seems to be claiming there is a whispering campaign being carried out against him, according to Daily Mail.

greenpaper55
23-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Seems to be claiming there is a whispering campaign being carried out against him, according to Daily Mail.

Shhhh

SeanWilson
23-12-2015, 11:56 AM
I am sorry, no-one liked Deek more than me in his first spell and I think he is often unfairly criticised for his second, but the only person to blame for his current predicament is himself.

Think you are being harsh.... I'd suggest 3 or 4 years in the wilderness and doing nothing but training and earning F ALL for the same period may wake someone up... I don't know the guy personally but I'm sure he as with everyone else has the ability to change his ways (I'm not sure he even needs to do this!?). I'd suggest there are far more premadonna idiot football players than there are Duncan Watmores in this world... It's the industry.

SunshineOnLeith
23-12-2015, 12:07 PM

Hardly surprising given that it's the Daily Record, but that piece is nothing but clickbait. Loads of unattached footballers used LinkedIn these days.

I've taken the link out of the quote as all clicking on it achieves is providing the Record with more advertising revenue.

Here's literally the whole 'story': Derek Riordan posted his availability on LinkedIn.

cabbageandribs1875
23-12-2015, 12:10 PM

how on earth do you work that one out :confused: surely his family and friends liked him more than you did, and i'm quite sure quite a few other fans liked him as well(inc myself)....are you chief mourner or sommit

FranckSuzy
23-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Hardly surprising given that it's the Daily Record, but that piece is nothing but clickbait. Loads of unattached footballers used LinkedIn these days.

I've taken the link out of the quote as all clicking on it achieves is providing the Record with more advertising revenue.

Here's literally the whole 'story': Derek Riordan posted his availability on LinkedIn.

Exactly and it's a networking site :rolleyes: Poor 'journalism' from the DR there.

BSEJVT
23-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Think you are being harsh.... I'd suggest 3 or 4 years in the wilderness and doing nothing but training and earning F ALL for the same period may wake someone up... I don't know the guy personally but I'm sure he as with everyone else has the ability to change his ways (I'm not sure he even needs to do this!?). I'd suggest there are far more premadonna idiot football players than there are Duncan Watmores in this world... It's the industry.

I think you have misinterpreted what I said.

I agree with you that the realisation probably has dawned.

I am just not convinced that he can get back to former levels

The fact that he has trained for 3 months with us without any offer, tends to back that up.

If he could have gotten back to previous levels there would definitely have been a place for him.

MyJo
23-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Hope he gets himself sorted out with something and as much as I like him as a former player im afraid i cant feel sorry for him. He had the talent to be playing in the best leagues in the world but his off-the-pitch life choices and lifestyle hampered him.

Look at Steven Fletcher, not nearly as talented as Riordan was but thanks to a bit of professionalism about being a footballer and a lot of hard work he's a millionaire who will be sitting pretty for the rest of his life when he chooses to retire, same goes for Scott Brown and Steven Whittaker.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-12-2015, 12:51 PM
Meanwhile...

Hidden in The Scotsman

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/celtic/rumour-mill-aberdeen-fan-protest-derk-boerrigter-celtic-exit-aberdeen-no-threat-1-3980519

basehibby
23-12-2015, 12:56 PM
I'm equally perplexed that Deeks continues to struggle to find a club - he has the natural ability to place the ball on a postage stamp so if he's fit then of course he'll be an asset to a team that's struggling to score goals.

Good luck to him in his quest :aok:

4 Front Teeth
23-12-2015, 07:00 PM
For me it's just one of life's mysteries. Just can't understand it.

jgl07
23-12-2015, 08:06 PM
I'm equally perplexed that Deeks continues to struggle to find a club - he has the natural ability to place the ball on a postage stamp so if he's fit then of course he'll be an asset to a team that's struggling to score goals.

And how many goals has he scored since he left Hibs for the second time?

Five in four and a half years, four were at the bottom level of Scottish football.