PDA

View Full Version : Football Memories Project

Tom Hart RIP
29-10-2015, 01:28 PM
The Hibs Historical Trust have organised a trip to the Hampden Museum for the men and women who attend the Football Memories meetings on the first Monday of the month at Easter Road. The members are all in the early stages of dementia and the meetings encourage them to share their memories of games and players from the past.

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2015/10/hibs-memory-project-members-heading-to-hampden/

This is a worthwhile project and the Trust should be congratulated for this

BSEJVT
29-10-2015, 01:56 PM
That is an absolutely wonderful thing for the club to do and to be involved in.

Sometimes Hibs make me as proud as could be to be a Hibs supporter and this is one of them.

I don't have much experience of or exposure to dementia as an illness, but reading that story and thinking about those poor souls suffering from dementia and its implications for probably the first time ever, just made me incredibly sad.

Pretty Boy
29-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Fantastic initiative by the club.

I've seen up close the suffering the illness can cause not just for the sufferer but also the family. It's a horrible disease that sees the essence of a person lost long before the body passes.

It's great community work by Hibs to be involved in such a project and I hope it continues to be well attended and a useful excercise for sufferers and carers.

Roxyhibee
29-10-2015, 02:37 PM
Well done my beloved Hibees for getting involved in this fantastic work.

I do voluntary work for a brilliant company called Artlink, which links people with a range of disabilities to social events, and one of the strands of work is a singing group where a volunteer accompanies someone with dementia to just that - a group (usually very large) where live musicians encourage everyone to sing well known songs. The effect on their memory recall is fantastic to witness and the positive effect it has on their well being for that time is very noticeable.

Recalling football memories will have the same positive effect on sufferers of this terrible condition - Great work Hibernian.

29-10-2015, 05:19 PM
My understanding 100% the credit for this sits with the Hibernian Historical Trust.
An initiative stated at Easter Road by one of the Trustees, Tam Wright, that's now be copied and rolled out across Scotland.

The HHT deserve a huge amount of credit for the work they do behind the scenes that goes pretty well unpublicised. Well done the HHT :thumbsup:

ancient hibee
29-10-2015, 05:22 PM
For anyone who hasn't been it's well worth a visit.Anyone going should vote for Joe Baker to enter the Hall of Fame-an ongoing disgrace.

FranckSuzy
29-10-2015, 05:41 PM
Bravo Hibs, bravo :not worth

The Harp
30-10-2015, 10:06 PM
Well done to everyone at the Club who is involved with this venture and also The Dnipro Kids & Kicks For Kids fundraisers.
We have a lot to be proud of in the actions, commitment and dedication of some of our fellow Hibees.
Football fans in general don't get a very good press most of the time so it's nice to set the record straight at times.:aok:

Sir David Gray
30-10-2015, 10:52 PM
Fantastic to see the club involved in something like this.

I have first hand experience of what it's like to have a loved one who has suffered with this cruel and devastating illness and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Anything which brings dementia into the forefront of people's minds is something I will wholeheartedly support in the hope that one day it can be completely eradicated.

Tom Hart RIP
31-10-2015, 07:52 AM
Around 20 people now turn up each month and some have started meeting up on a Saturday and going to the games when they havent been for years. Being part of this group has given them that confidence, Still room for more members though if anyone interested

NAE NOOKIE
31-10-2015, 12:16 PM
Its brilliant to see Hibs involved in this.

My late mum had dementia and it was heart breaking having her ask me why I never came to see her when I did all the time and to have her phone me at night asking why my three brothers weren't home yet coz they had school in the morning.

One of the girls on the care team who looked after my mum was the daughter of Tony Morley part of Aston Villa's European cup winning team ... small world