PDA

View Full Version : "Anti Hibs" Media Coverage

banarc7062
27-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Having read the various countless items regarding the way the media treat Hibs I wonder how many of us remember Stewart Brown from his days with Edin Evening News. Brilliant reporter from a Hibs point of view IMO. :thumbsup: GGTTH

hibbybrian
27-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Stewart was indeed an excellent "professional" reporter for many years.

Stewart with Ronnie Simpson

Peevemor
27-10-2015, 07:32 PM
Didn't stop some people calling him Stewart Maroon.

ancient hibee
27-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Stewart was on a retainer from one or two clubs including Hibs to tap players.You wouldn't rave about his writing.

Iggy Pope
27-10-2015, 09:59 PM
Having read the various countless items regarding the way the media treat Hibs I wonder how many of us remember Stewart Brown from his days with Edin Evening News. Brilliant reporter from a Hibs point of view IMO. :thumbsup: GGTTH

As far as I can remember Stewart Brown wrote about the Hibs and Iain MacNiven (?) wrote about the dump and neither were particularly insightful.
What's changed? Admittedly neither of them induced vomit like yer man Banderson, but none of its ever been brilliant. Although it did have more of an attraction then as we had none of the media you read this on now.
Mike Aitken was another Scotsman employee that wrote ***** books about Hertz. His brilliant tomes can still be found in bins everywhere.
With hindsight, the Evening News and the Scotsman have been an utter crock of ***** for decades now. I've dumped them.

O'Rourke3
27-10-2015, 10:12 PM
Mike Aitken came out in support of the late WM's vision for one club in Edinburgh. I still fervently wish now as then that each day his life is plagued by chronic diarrhoea

Sent via the bushes @ EM

snooky
28-10-2015, 10:41 AM

My memories of Stewart Brown was that he was a Hibby while his colleague John Ayres had strong leanings to the other side of the toun.
IIRC, during the period when JA was SB's senior, the EEN was definitely jambiased.

southsider
28-10-2015, 11:10 AM
It is a comic now. EDINBURGH EVENING news ? Printed in Glasgow and available from 6.30 am. A joke but still holds mar**n bias. Will go to the wall soon.

--------
28-10-2015, 02:45 PM
My memories of Stewart Brown was that he was a Hibby while his colleague John Ayres had strong leanings to the other side of the toun.
IIRC, during the period when JA was SB's senior, the EEN was definitely jambiased.

Stewart did the Hibs games, John did the Hearts games. They both did the derbies; I think John would do the lead on the Tynecastle games and Stewart the lead on the Easter Road matches.

TBH I wasn't too aware of any bias towards Hearts in those days.

There was also a cartoon strip called "Fitba' Daft" about two guys, one a Hibby and the other a Jambo who went week about to ER and Tynie. I think a guy called Earle Wright drew it. That was pretty even-handed as well IIRC.

The final edition of "Pink" hit the streets about half-past five, I think. Just in time for a wee walk round to the pub from the game, settle in and get warm with a pie, a pint and a couple of pickled eggs, and the boy would come into the bar with the papers and we could settle down to a comfy discussion of the events of the afternoon.

Sometimes you had to nick out to the corner to the shop, but most newsagents would send a laddie over with a bundle to sell in the bar.

Those were the days .....

Kato
28-10-2015, 03:01 PM
There was also a cartoon strip called "Fitba' Daft" about two guys, one a Hibby and the other a Jambo who went week about to ER and Tynie. I think a guy called Earle Wright drew it. That was pretty even-handed as well IIRC.

One of those days when the "fantastic" Hearts fans forgot to be fantastic.

http://www.pfsc08674.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Cartoons/Hibs2_1_280884.jpg

DavieRoy
28-10-2015, 08:59 PM
Alan Stubbs was on Sky Sports News HQ today...who needs the BBC!

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/scottish-football/10046443/stubbs-eyes-huge-fixture

ancient hibee
29-10-2015, 06:11 PM
Stewart did the Hibs games, John did the Hearts games. They both did the derbies; I think John would do the lead on the Tynecastle games and Stewart the lead on the Easter Road matches.

TBH I wasn't too aware of any bias towards Hearts in those days.

The final edition of "Pink" hit the streets about half-past five, I think. Just in time for a wee walk round to the pub from the game, settle in and get warm with a pie, a pint and a couple of pickled eggs, and the boy would come into the bar with the papers and we could settle down to a comfy discussion of the events of the afternoon.

Sometimes you had to nick out to the corner to the shop, but most newsagents would send a laddie over with a bundle to sell in the bar.

Those were the days .....

Bring back the Dispatch.

--------
29-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Bring back the Dispatch.

Indeed - there were the two sports papers in Edinburgh in those days. Was the Dispatch sports edition printed on green paper?

Alfred E Newman
29-10-2015, 07:06 PM
Indeed - there were the two sports papers in Edinburgh in those days. Was the Dispatch sports edition printed on green paper?

Yes Doddie, and the Evening News was the Pink

--------
29-10-2015, 07:08 PM
Yes Doddie, and the Evening News was the Pink

Come to think of ti - those colours might have been significant after all ....

Golden Bear
29-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Were the fitba cartoon characters known as Big Boab (the Hibby) and Wee Eck (the Jambo)? I recall that wee Eck took some awfy hammerings if he said the wrong thing!

Alfred E Newman
29-10-2015, 10:00 PM
Were the fitba cartoon characters known as Big Boab (the Hibby) and Wee Eck (the Jambo)? I recall that wee Eck took some awfy hammerings if he said the wrong thing!

They used to chum each other to Easter Road or Tynecastle depending who was at home and it was poor Eck the stereotypical Jambo that regularly got hit by the flying screw top.