PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian History Day 75

big-mo
27-10-2015, 06:49 AM
Season 1949-50

15th October, following a League Cup semi-final 2-1 defeat to Dunfermline, manager Shaw decides to shake up the team formation and plays Gordon Smith, Bobby Johnstone, Lawrie Reilly, Willie Ormond and Eddie Turnbull against Queen of the South in a league game at Easter Road. This was the first game to feature the Famous Five, Hibs won 2-0.

2nd January, Hibs went into the game against Hearts having won eleven out of the last twelve games, the other being a draw at Parkhead where Celtic scored in the last minute. Hearts were also on a good run having won their last ten games. The largest crowd ever to watch an Edinburgh match turned out, 65,850 at Easter Road; Hearts came from behind to win 2-1.

29th April, Hibs played their last game of the season at Ibrox and drew 0-0, Hibs missed out on winning the league by one point to Rangers. Hibs had only lost three league games all season, home and away to Hearts and one against Third Lanark when on-loan Hibs keeper Lew Goram kept a clean sheet.

Season results –
Scottish Cup 3rd round
League Cup S/F
League Div A 2/16 Pld30 W22 D5 L3 F86 A34 Pts49

KWJ
27-10-2015, 08:23 PM
I've missed a few of these now and was wondering if they're collated somewhere either in full or links.

Thanks again for putting these together big mo!

big-mo
28-10-2015, 07:25 AM
I've missed a few of these now and was wondering if they're collated somewhere either in full or links.

Thanks again for putting these together big mo!

They were all taken from a booklet I published back in 2011 'Hibernian History Handbook'. They are not held anywhere else online other than on Hibs.net and my own Facebook page. You can however find each day if you search back over the .net pages.

I am glad you are enjoying these daily bites of Hibs History.