PDA

View Full Version : Paedophile songs etc at Raith

wookie70
26-10-2015, 10:39 AM
Went to the game on Saturday with my 12 year old son and had the misfortune to be sitting next to the singing section. They arrived just before KO and I chose to move away as their drummer chose to sit pretty much behind me. Quite a few others chose to move too.

I don't have huge issues with the drum but the singing and patter from that group of fans was embarrassing. Every second song about paedophiles or Mercer which prompted my son to ask what they were all about and why they never sang about Hibs. Frankly a really good match was less enjoyable because of the pathetic songs. Not sure who they were even aiming the songs at as Craig Thomson plays for Newtongrange.

Surely the singing section can support Hibs without resorting to those tedious chants. To me it will only embarrass the players not gee them on. It would be great if the paedophile songs stopped all together but at the very least stick to singing them at the PBS where at least it will get under the skins of Hearts fans as well as Hibs fans. The songs would have no effect of Raith players or fans and show our fans in a very poor light. The jumping on the back of the seats and smoke bombs don't help matters either.

lord bunberry
26-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Went to the game on Saturday with my 12 year old son and had the misfortune to be sitting next to the singing section. They arrived just before KO and I chose to move away as their drummer chose to sit pretty much behind me. Quite a few others chose to move too.

I don't have huge issues with the drum but the singing and patter from that group of fans was embarrassing. Every second song about paedophiles or Mercer which prompted my son to ask what they were all about and why they never sang about Hibs. Frankly a really good match was less enjoyable because of the pathetic songs. Not sure who they were even aiming the songs at as Craig Thomson plays for Newtongrange.

Surely the singing section can support Hibs without resorting to those tedious chants. To me it will only embarrass the players not gee them on. It would be great if the paedophile songs stopped all together but at the very least stick to singing them at the PBS where at least it will get under the skins of Hearts fans as well as Hibs fans. The songs would have no effect of Raith players or fans and show our fans in a very poor light. The jumping on the back of the seats and smoke bombs don't help matters either.
I would be shocked if that statement was correct.

Kojock
26-10-2015, 10:45 AM

Wouldn't think it would embarrass the players either but there is no doubt it embarrasses the club.

Thecat23
26-10-2015, 10:48 AM

Prob not but it certainly won't encourage them either.

Shrekko
26-10-2015, 11:00 AM
First post on this thread is spot on and I was actually going to mention it on the thread about the Jambos young team.

I also had the misfortune to be sitting close to this group and maybe the players wouldn't be embarrassed by them but the club and the rest of the fans should be. The obsession with 'paedos' is absolutely alarming and it's been the same for years- the Thomson song must easily have been sung 10-12 times and every time a random Raith player came to take a corner or their goalie took a goal kick there was guaranteed to be shouts of 'paedo!' from the group. They might want to portray themselves us Hibs ultras but their interested in the game is absolutely minimal - for about 10 minutes they were singing songs about Sam Nicholson's girlfriend and even the actual Hibs songs were invariably punctuated with the 'he's deid' stuff. A lot of them looked like wee middle class lads wanting to be bad boys for the day- it's truly cringe-worthy. I didn't have a kid with me but there were quite a few parents with their sons and daughters nearby and it must be really awkward at times.

Sir David Gray
26-10-2015, 11:03 AM
I think they were probably singing those songs due to getting Jason Thomson (ex-Hearts player with no previous convictions for sexual offences who now plays for Raith Rovers) mixed up with Craig Thomson (ex-Hearts player who does have a conviction for a sexual offence but who now plays for Newtongrange).

I agree though, the paedophile songs are a bit tedious and it really hit home to me when I heard a couple of wee boys, who must have been around 6 or 7 years old, talking about the fans singing about "paedos". It's really not something that children of that age need to hear.

Smartie
26-10-2015, 11:03 AM

Good post (other than the effect on the players - I'd be amazed if the players pay the slightest bit of attention to songs being sung).

You have been pragmatic enough to accept that at certain games (such as derbies at the PBS) then there are maybe different standards accepted and I agree with this. I don't really consider these games to be games for kids and anyone who takes their kids to these games (and those involving the OF) should expect to have to do a lot of explaining to do. My kids won't go to these games until they are a lot older.

I think it is different at other games though. I don't really think it is acceptable to keep on singing about the Newtongrange Craig Thomson and about Wallace Mercer. Certainly not at Raith Rovers games. If we have to sing about Hearts then given that they are a bunch of 12 fingered, puddle-drinking, poppy stealing charity-robbing weirdos we're not exactly short of material. And I found the "Can't wait till you're home" song funny.

We need people to want to go to games and want to take their kids in a reasonably safe environment. I heard lots of swearing and lots of dodgy stuff when I was a youngster but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed and I think that a lot of this stuff does that.

Borderhibbie76
26-10-2015, 11:04 AM
Agree 100% with the OP it was embarrassing and cringe worthy stuff indeed...no need for it at all. I'm all for the drum as it adds atmosphere but please stick to Hibs songs

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

HappyAsHellas
26-10-2015, 11:06 AM
The young lad we take to the games with us thought we'd been infiltrated by Hearts fans as he couldn't understand so many songs about Nicholson and Walker etc. Explaining was a bit tricky but I was stumped as to who was the target of all the paedo songs - seemed to be anyone not in a Hibs strip.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-10-2015, 11:13 AM
If the singing isn't about the team, then what's the point of it. ?

Godsahibby
26-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Clicked on to the raith tv highlights. Only sons you hear from the fans on the goals highlight are he mercer song and CT song.

Pretty Boy
26-10-2015, 11:14 AM
The annoying this is the singing section have been responsible for 'leading' the support in some great atmospheres. Killie away in the cup and the derby at Tynecastle when Caldwell scored immediately spring to mind. These were games in which the support got right behind the team with the drum adding a dimension to it and it worked. Both times my memory is of it being primarily Hibs songs old and new at the forefront rather than irrelevant nonsense.

The obvious solution of course is for those who don't like the songs they are singing to make sure the wider support is drowning them out with Hibs songs. Tbh I really don't understand what has happened, it seems a good idea the club bent over backwards to accomodate has been hijacked by a group of wee neds intent on pissing people off.

--------
26-10-2015, 11:19 AM
If the singing isn't about the team, then what's the point of it. ?

Absolutely. I have it on very good authority that the Hertha Berlin supporters (20,000 or so filling one end of the Olympic Stadium) can sing, chant and make noise from well before KO till well after the final whistle without mentioning paedophiles or dead people once.

If the OP's right, and this is all Section 43 can produce to encourage the team at a vital away game, they should just jack it in.

frazeHFC
26-10-2015, 11:43 AM
The obvious solution of course is for those who don't like the songs they are singing to make sure the wider support is drowning them out with Hibs songs.

I wish that could happen but it won't. Hibs fans are brutal unless it's a derby or big game. Atmospheres at ER are horrific and apart from a small group down the front nobody sings.

In the past I'd never miss a home game but they are boring these days. Having a singsong and a good day out is what it's all about for me but just isn't worth wasting the money these days (for the train, still got a ST that isn't being used).

gando
26-10-2015, 11:50 AM
Was at the other end of the stand.
Yes paedo and mercer songs were sung
But for people to say that they were sung more than hibs songs is a nonsense. There was plenty of support for the team. Plenty Allez Allez and World Cup 98.
And to say they should jack it in is more embarrassing than singing the songs themselves.
Jack it in and there would be zero atmosphere at any games

Thecat23
26-10-2015, 11:56 AM
But for people to say that they were sung more than hibs songs is a nonsense. There was plenty of support for the team. Plenty Allez Allez and World Cup 98.
And to say they should jack it in is more embarrassing than singing the songs themselves.

Think your missing the point. Why not just stick to the World Cup one along with Hibs songs. The peado stuff is and always will be one of the most cringeworthy things you will hear.

Used to love it when I was in my teens signing Hibs songs in the old east. Not a peado song to be heard either. Think one of two need to grow up and move on from that *****.

Lee Marvin
26-10-2015, 11:58 AM
I was speaking about this to my mate at the last game and realised that we almost never sing old, traditional hibs songs anymore. How many 'hail hail...' Or 'we are Hibernian fc.....' renditions get belted out anymore??

The young team are the only ones who start songs, and they have accrued a whole new repertoire the last few years. Most of which are pish I may add

Thecat23
26-10-2015, 11:59 AM
I wish that could happen but it won't. Hibs fans are brutal unless it's a derby or big game. Atmospheres at ER are horrific and apart from a small group down the front nobody sings.

In the past I'd never miss a home game but they are boring these days. Having a singsong and a good day out is what it's all about for me but just isn't worth wasting the money these days (for the train, still got a ST that isn't being used).

So you only go to sing songs? I recommend you get back and watch the footy as its actually pretty good these days. Then you never know the atmosphere may return?

frazeHFC
I was speaking about this to my mate at the last game and realised that we almost never sing old, traditional hibs songs anymore. How many 'hail hail...' Or 'we are Hibernian fc.....' Renditions get belted out anymore??

The young team are the only ones who start songs, and they have accrued a whole new repertoire the last few years. Mostly of which are pish I may add

Go join them and start sone of the old songs?

Shrekko
There's always one.

So telling folk to stop singing songs about paedos is more embarrassing than actually singing those songs? Right you are.

I'd say the split of Hibs songs and irrelevant songs was about 50/50 by the way.

Everyone wants atmosphere but who's going to join in with that juvenile nonsense?

frazeHFC
26-10-2015, 12:01 PM
So you only go to sing songs? I recommend you get back and watch the footy as its actually pretty good these days. Then you never know the atmosphere may return?

I enjoy watching the team just now but yeah with rubbish atmospheres I don't find it as enjoyable as I did before.

gando
26-10-2015, 12:05 PM
There's always one.

So telling folk to stop singing songs about paedos is more embarrassing than actually singing those songs? Right you are.

I'd say the split of Hibs songs and irrelevant songs was about 50/50 by the way.

Everyone wants atmosphere but who's going to join in with that juvenile nonsense?

Always one what?

So youd rather no noise apart from sweetie papers rustling over decent atmosphere with a few songs with poor taste involved? It's well noticed when the lads don't turn up and it's honkin

Kojock
26-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Always one what?

So youd rather no noise apart from sweetie papers rustling over decent atmosphere with a few songs with poor taste involved? It's well noticed when the lads don't turn up and it's honkin

Do you honestly think that the Paedo song and Mercer song created a good atmosphere, everyone around me was saying how childish and irrelevant the songs were and would in no way join in.

gando
26-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Do you honestly think that the Paedo song and Mercer song created a good atmosphere, everyone around me was saying how childish and irrelevant the songs were and would in no way join in.
Never said they did

Hibeesmad
26-10-2015, 12:11 PM
Before kick off the suggested singing section at the game were singing a lot of Hibs songs and trying to get the rest of the supporters to join in. Out of the allegedly 2000 fans which were there only around 50 of them in the 'singing section' actually contributed and created an atmosphere to get behind the team. The Paedo chants did get increasingly out of hand, and I believe it was a group of about 3/4 guys who kept chanting this, who were completely wasted. However, that is obviously not acceptable, no matter what state you are in. The Nicholson and Walker songs were pretty funny, the Walker one was only sang once if I recall correctly. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is regardless of some of the awful stuff being chanted, why was it just this group of around 50 people trying to create an atmosphere?

To make a claim of these fans embarrassing the team when the majority of songs sang were Hibs related... "Jason Cummings baby, David Gray, Liam Henderson nanana, James Keatings used to be a Jambo.., Lewis Stevenson, Fraser Fyvie baby, John Mcginn scores again, Mark Oxley, Stubbsy, Alan Stubbs green and white army, do do do dominique malonga etc etc etc whilst you are not contributing has got me confused

DarrenSQH
26-10-2015, 12:12 PM
I had a good laugh at the Sam Nicholson song.

HappyHanlon
26-10-2015, 12:12 PM

I've been at games where others start a song and the singing section just stare at them and don't join in - its almost as if they refuse to join in as they didn't start it.

Andy74
26-10-2015, 12:13 PM
One thing I'd say is they need to consider where they sit sometimes. I take my 8 year old and like many others I find that sitting up and at the edges of things is best for their experience. Like a number of families this week I had to move because I ended up with them all arriving en masse around us just before kick off. They can't just plonk themselves in where families are already settled and stand in front of them blocking the view and subjecting everyone to chants about paedos.

frazeHFC
26-10-2015, 12:13 PM

And that's what my point is. Why didn't people around you start a Hibs song and try drown it out?

I know singing at football is not for everyone but having a moan yet doing nothing about it isn't going to help.

Kojock
26-10-2015, 12:17 PM
And that's what my point is. Why didn't people around you start a Hibs song and try drown it out?

I know singing at football is not for everyone but having a moan yet doing nothing about it isn't going to help.

People around me did join in with the Hibs songs.

Thecat23
26-10-2015, 12:18 PM
**** it, I'm taking my 1986 boom box into the east and hitting play on old Hibs songs to drown out the wee fuds.

That's how I roll 😎

WeeRussell
26-10-2015, 12:19 PM
Before kick off the suggested singing section at the game were singing a lot of Hibs songs and trying to get the rest of the supporters to join in. Out of the allegedly 2000 fans which were there only around 50 of them in the 'singing section' actually contributed and created an atmosphere to get behind the team. The Paedo chants did get increasingly out of hand, and I believe it was a group of about 3/4 guys who kept chanting this, who were completely wasted. However, that is obviously not acceptable, no matter what state you are in. The Nicholson and Walker songs were pretty funny, the Walker one was only sang once if I recall correctly. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is regardless of some of the awful stuff being chanted, why was it just this group of around 50 people trying to create an atmosphere?

To make a claim of these fans embarrassing the team when the majority of songs sang were Hibs related... "Jason Cummings baby, David Gray, Liam Henderson nanana, James Keatings used to be a Jambo.., Lewis Stevenson, Fraser Fyvie baby, John Mcginn scores again, Mark Oxley, Stubbsy, Alan Stubbs green and white army, do do do dominique malonga etc etc etc whilst you are not contributing has got me confused

Perfectly feasible to make such a claim, if the songs they are singing inbetween 'the majority' are vile. We (as in us.. not the SFA) don't excuse the Old Firm with their nonsense because they also sing 'Follow Follow' and chant 'Celtic, Celtic'.

gando
26-10-2015, 12:21 PM
**** it, I'm taking my 1986 boom box into the east and hitting play on old Hibs songs to drown out the wee fuds.

That's how I roll 😎

"Wee fuds" 🙄

Moulin Yarns
26-10-2015, 12:23 PM
For all those that condone such songs

Offensive Behaviour at Football Bill’
A person commits an offence if a person engages in behaviour of the kind listed below in relation to a regulated football match and which is likely to incite public disorder:
 Expressing hatred of, or stirring up hatred against an individual or group of persons based on their membership (or presumed membership) of a religious group, a social or cultural group with a perceived religious affiliation, a group defined by reference to colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origins, sexual orientation, transgender identity or disability

Cut it out or you may end up in jail.

For those that find songs offensive, report them to a steward.

WeeRussell
26-10-2015, 12:24 PM

Didn't you state previously in this thread that you don't go to games anymore and moaned about the atmosphere?

... and now you're telling everyone else not to moan about the atmosphere if they're not doing anything about it :confused:

Hibeesmad
26-10-2015, 12:24 PM
Perfectly feasible to make such a claim, if the songs they are singing inbetween 'the majority' are vile. We (as in us.. not the SFA) don't excuse the Old Firm with their nonsense because they also sing 'Follow Follow' and chant 'Celtic, Celtic'.

The OP's post was made out as if there was not one Hibs song sang the entire match and I am correcting that, calling Sam Nicholson's girlfriend a slag for sending naked pictures is hardly sectarian

Billy McKirdy
26-10-2015, 12:26 PM
I had a similar experience at the PBS in January, not just pedo's, but the black players from both sides were copping it tight too with chants about n****** and ebola, where does banter stop and downright offensive behaviour begin? muppets :confused:

WeeRussell
26-10-2015, 12:28 PM
The OP's post was made out as if there was not one Hibs song sang the entire match and I am correcting that, calling Sam Nicholson's girlfriend a slag for sending naked pictures is hardly sectarian

I don't know anything about Sam Nicholson's girlfriend songs - but singing about people dying and child molestation is vile, whether sectarian or not.

Hibeesmad
26-10-2015, 12:29 PM
I don't know anything about Sam Nicholson's girlfriend songs - but singing about people dying and child molestation is vile, whether sectarian or not.

I agree and I said that in the comment I made about 10 minutes ago

frazeHFC
26-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Didn't you state previously in this thread that you don't go to games anymore and moaned about the atmosphere?

... and now you're telling everyone else not to moan about the atmosphere if they're not doing anything about it :confused:

Thats not the point though, im not having a go at anyone I'm just saying that if the people are pissed off with song choice at the game then they could try drown it out rather than coming on here for a moan.

Anyway, each to their own, better things to do than sit arguing an endless battle on here. 😴

--------
26-10-2015, 12:33 PM

Really?

There are football songs and chants you can hear every Saturday and Sunday evening on MotD and MotD2 that don't focus on the opposing team's sexual preferences. Lots of them.

IIRC the reason for Section 43's existence originally was to generate support and encourage other fans to join in.

The day I join in any song about somebody being dead, or about someone being a paedophile, will be a very cold day in hell.

Keep it simple, focus on our own team, and copy the crowds that are good at supporting their players like the Palace boys.

Ain't rocket science.

BTW - was it our support that were chanting "You fat B*****d"? on and on? How imaginative. :rolleyes:

Danderhall Hibs
26-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Bit cringey that they got the wrong Thompson as well.

Thecat23
26-10-2015, 12:40 PM
"Wee fuds" 🙄

Yep, as some of our support are exactly that! Every team has them not just us.

WeeRussell
26-10-2015, 12:47 PM
Thats not the point though, im not having a go at anyone I'm just saying that if the people are pissed off with song choice at the game then they could try drown it out rather than coming on here for a moan.

Anyway, each to their own, better things to do than sit arguing an endless battle on here. 

That's a fair point re you not having a go at anyone :aok:

I don't think anyone should have to request that a stop is put (or indeed have to do anything about) these songs, as our fans should not be singing them in the first place. They certainly shouldn't be started by a recognised "singing section".

Hibs3-2
26-10-2015, 12:50 PM
shhhhhhh!!!

The_Horde
26-10-2015, 01:03 PM
Ffs. Get over yourselves. Have you never been young and enthusiastic and sung something or said something you maybe regret nowadays?

Football has always been full of offensive songs, swearing and aggro. Besides your kids have probably heard worse in school.

marinello59
26-10-2015, 01:10 PM
Ffs. Get over yourselves. Have you never been young and enthusiastic and sung something or said something you maybe regret nowadays?

Football has always been full of offensive songs, swearing and aggro. Besides your kids have probably heard worse in school.

Ooooooooooooooo. That's everybody told then. I'm not so sure the kids in primary school sing funny songs about child abusers. I'll take your word for it though but only because you are so scarey.

BSEJVT
26-10-2015, 01:11 PM
I think they were probably singing those songs due to getting Jason Thomson (ex-Hearts player with no previous convictions for sexual offences who now plays for Raith Rovers) mixed up with Craig Thomson (ex-Hearts player who does have a conviction for a sexual offence but who now plays for Newtongrange).

I agree though, the paedophile songs are a bit tedious and it really hit home to me when I heard a couple of wee boys, who must have been around 6 or 7 years old, talking about the fans singing about "paedos". It's really not something that children of that age need to hear.

I would think you are right.

Jason has a younger brother Danny, who was at Hearts but now has a knackered knee and is at Arniston.

Danny & Craig were at Hearts together and grew up playing together with Loanhead Miners Welfare

Despite the fact that Jason and Danny and their mum and dad, who are friends of ours, are or were all Hearts daft they are decent folk and Jason & Danny are two really nice guys.

I also knew vaguely Craig and his dad who were at one time big Hibs supporters and it must be have been particularly hard for the dad to take the abuse his son was getting.

We are very close to the parents of one of the girls involved in the incident and there is absolutely no doubt Craig knew how old she was, thankfully she has grown up into and bright and beautiful girl, seemingly unscarred by the ordeal.

It easy sport to keep going with all this stuff and the FTB stuff but its now IMO well past its sell by date, all these people especially the victims and families of the perpetrators have lives to get on with without being assaulted by the baggage of the past.

I cringe when I hear it now and would prefer it stopped, as another poster alluded to its like would be naughty boys swearing at church to prove they are hard in front of their mates

Thecat23
26-10-2015, 01:12 PM

Can you tell me which schools sing these songs? I'm worried my son is in one of the ones you're talking about!!!

DH1875
26-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Don't know why people think it's a new thing. Remember singing songs about Richard Gough 20 years ago to do with the topic being discussed :confused:.

As for the Sam Nicholson song, think it was pretty funny and honestly can't see the problem with it.

Shrekko
26-10-2015, 01:24 PM

It's not just about the kids and no I cannae ever remember spending a full afternoon shouting 'paedo!' every time a Raith player came close. Apart from that this whole paedo nonsense has been going on for years and it's beyond embarrassing the impression it gives of Hibs fans.

I actually don't mind a lot of offensive songs, especially when they're humorous but this is just dire.

The_Horde
26-10-2015, 01:25 PM
Can you tell me which schools sing these songs? I'm worried my son is in one of the ones you're talking about!!!

I started going to the games when I was about 10. There was no singing section, it was almost a whole stadium singing offensive songs about hearts players and the team in general in games against the likes of St Johnstone. I knew what the songs meant as I'd heard them sung in school by other kids but I was educated enough to know they're offensive and inappropriate. It didn't spoil my day out and it never stopped me going back.

wearethehibs
26-10-2015, 01:27 PM
People need to realise at away games, people that want to sing stand near the lads with the drum.

It wasn't them singing all the pedo stuff, it was the group of lads that stood near them. The 1s smokong cigars and passing pyro about throughout the game.

cabbageandribs1875
26-10-2015, 01:29 PM
it was cringeworthy listening to those songs about paedophiles etc, i feel for the adults that are their with young kids and probably having to explain to them what they songs were all about, and ffs give up on the mercer is dead songs as well, the FTB can't hurt us anymore guys..honest

My_Wife_Camille
26-10-2015, 01:37 PM
Ooooooooooooooo. That's everybody told then. I'm not so sure the kids in primary school sing funny songs about child abusers. I'll take your word for it though but only because you are so scarey.
My god, talk about cringeworthy! :hilarious

My_Wife_Camille
26-10-2015, 01:51 PM
I started going to the games when I was about 10. There was no singing section, it was almost a whole stadium singing offensive songs about hearts players and the team in general in games against the likes of St Johnstone. I knew what the songs meant as I'd heard them sung in school by other kids but I was educated enough to know they're offensive and inappropriate. It didn't spoil my day out and it never stopped me going back.
:top marks Some people on here are kidding themselves if they think that their kids only hear sweary words by the bad men at the football. Trust me, they'll come across a lot worse at school and on the Internet.

marinello59
26-10-2015, 01:52 PM
My god, talk about cringeworthy! :hilarious

Not my best I admit. I have posted much more cringeworthy stuff than that though, probably best you just ignore my posts in future.

Smartie
26-10-2015, 02:13 PM
I would think you are right.

Jason has a younger brother Danny, who was at Hearts but now has a knackered knee and is at Arniston.

Danny & Craig were at Hearts together and grew up playing together with Loanhead Miners Welfare

Despite the fact that Jason and Danny and their mum and dad, who are friends of ours, are or were all Hearts daft they are decent folk and Jason & Danny are two really nice guys.

I also knew vaguely Craig and his dad who were at one time big Hibs supporters and it must be have been particularly hard for the dad to take the abuse his son was getting.

We are very close to the parents of one of the girls involved in the incident and there is absolutely no doubt Craig knew how old she was, thankfully she has grown up into and bright and beautiful girl, seemingly unscarred by the ordeal.

It easy sport to keep going with all this stuff and the FTB stuff but its now IMO well past its sell by date, all these people especially the victims and families of the perpetrators have lives to get on with without being assaulted by the baggage of the past.

I cringe when I hear it now and would prefer it stopped, as another poster alluded to its like would be naughty boys swearing at church to prove they are hard in front of their mates

Excellent post and sums it up for me.

We don't want to sanitise things completely. People need an outlet for certain things and there is a time and a place for swearing and (certain) offensive chanting.

The Mercer stuff and the paedo stuff was funny at the time and served a purpose i.e. winding up the jambos at their own place. It was always offensive and probably just over the line from what should happen but there you go. I would also say that the world is changing and stuff that was fair game not too long ago (such as the "Paul Hartley is gay" chant) isn't any more.

For it still to be happening years later and at an away game at Raith really is pointless and totally cringeworthy. It's not big, it's not clever and it is totally unnecessary. The "topical" subject of Sam Nicholson's bird is fair game.

Easter Road changed at a stroke when they knocked the old East down and built the new one. A lot of stuff that was fair game in there just wouldn't be tolerated now, which in many ways is a shame.

Away days can still be quite lively but you get the problems with kids being mixed in with those who want to let loose. It is easier to segregate at home.

Maybe it is easier to have better segregation within the bigger grounds when we're back in the top league, proper family sections etc?

Just Alf
26-10-2015, 02:16 PM

spot on! :top marks

Only thing is that when it was pointed out to me how shan some of it was I learned.... Called growing up! .... Fair enough some folk might be a bit slow and take longer to learn, heck some are so thick they'll never learn (think Orcs and their bigotry).... doesn't make it right tho so I don't understand why anyone would actually defend the crap songs? :confused:

Anyway....
Hail! Hail!
:flag:

Thecat23
26-10-2015, 02:21 PM

Like yourself I was about 10 when I started watching Hibs. I honestly can't recall us signing peado songs against the likes of St Johnstone. Look no one is saying our kids don't hear these things in everyday life because they do. What folk are saying is why not just sing good old Hibs songs? I wouldn't take my son to an away game these days because I know the songs that will be sung and I'm not wanting him growing up thinking that is acceptable.

He will always hear the odd shout at ER that is fine that happens. But when the so called "singing section" can only come up with pish like that then I'm out! Doesn't help the team one bit, but backing our own players instead of signing about someone not even playing in that game would surely help the boys?

I think we do need to encourage atmosphere at ER but I don't think it should be through peado songs or dead folk! Maybe I'm just getting old.

Thecat23
26-10-2015, 02:24 PM
I have a question for folk who think it's ok.. Do you think it's alright for The Rangers to come and sing songs about being up to their knees in fenian blood? Because after all that's just "football banter" right and you just deal with it!

Just Alf
26-10-2015, 02:29 PM
Like yourself I was about 10 when I started watching Hibs. I honestly can't recall us signing peado songs against the likes of St Johnstone. Look no one is saying our kids don't hear these things in everyday life because they do. What folk are saying is why not just sing good old Hibs songs? I wouldn't take my son to an away game these days because I know the songs that will be sung and I'm not wanting him growing up thinking that is acceptable.

He will always hear the odd shout at ER that is fine that happens. But when the so called "singing section" can only come up with pish like that then I'm out! Doesn't help the team one bit, but backing our own players instead of signing about someone not even playing in that game would surely help the boys?

I think we do need to encourage atmosphere at ER but I don't think it should be through peado songs or dead folk! Maybe I'm just getting old.

nah mate, it's just that your normal :agree:

The_Horde
26-10-2015, 02:30 PM

Not specifically about paedos, no. But similarly offensive songs about hearts players contracting deadly diseases and worse are songs I can remember. In fact, I think the first time I heard this particular one was actually at school.

I agree with the last bit. I don't get that we have to sing about these things instead of good old fashioned hibs songs but some people here are acting so shocked to have heard offensive songs at a football match, it happens. It always has and it's not just at Hibs.

Newcastle fans are forever singing about Adam Johnson, for example.

mim
26-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Pity, it seems we have a choice between nae atmosphere at all, or some poorly judged songs amongst the Hibs stuff :confused:

Andy74
26-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Excellent post and sums it up for me.

We don't want to sanitise things completely. People need an outlet for certain things and there is a time and a place for swearing and (certain) offensive chanting.

The Mercer stuff and the paedo stuff was funny at the time and served a purpose i.e. winding up the jambos at their own place. It was always offensive and probably just over the line from what should happen but there you go. I would also say that the world is changing and stuff that was fair game not too long ago (such as the "Paul Hartley is gay" chant) isn't any more.

For it still to be happening years later and at an away game at Raith really is pointless and totally cringeworthy. It's not big, it's not clever and it is totally unnecessary. The "topical" subject of Sam Nicholson's bird is fair game.

Easter Road changed at a stroke when they knocked the old East down and built the new one. A lot of stuff that was fair game in there just wouldn't be tolerated now, which in many ways is a shame.

Away days can still be quite lively but you get the problems with kids being mixed in with those who want to let loose. It is easier to segregate at home.

Maybe it is easier to have better segregation within the bigger grounds when we're back in the top league, proper family sections etc?

I think this is the main problem at the away grounds - why should there be a no go area for anyone who doesn't want to be subjected to this for 90 minutes? One you don't know about until they turn up.

The singing secton idea and the drum is supposed to be to help with atmosphere and support - it shouldn't be a group to be avoided if you have family with you to the extent of dozens of people having to relocate to avoid them minutes before kick off when the stand was already pretty busy.

The attitude that they will stand where they want and sign what they want is not bringing the support together, it is hacking people off.

The_Horde
26-10-2015, 02:34 PM
I have a question for folk who think it's ok.. Do you think it's alright for The Rangers to come and sing songs about being up to their knees in fenian blood? Because after all that's just "football banter" right and you just deal with it!

I think the two of them are a little bit different.

One is bigotry and one is just being offensive.

For instance, I could leave this bus I'm currently on and call someone a **** but I would be in no danger of being arrested. If I called someone, say for instance, a Muslim **** then I'd be in bother.

Moulin Yarns
26-10-2015, 02:41 PM

For instance, I could leave this bus I'm currently on and call someone a **** but I would be in no danger of being arrested. If I called someone, say for instance, a Muslim **** then I'd be in bother.

For all those that condone such songs

Offensive Behaviour at Football Bill’
A person commits an offence if a person engages in behaviour of the kind listed below in relation to a regulated football match and which is likely to incite public disorder:
 Expressing hatred of, or stirring up hatred against an individual or group of persons based on their membership (or presumed membership) of a religious group, a social or cultural group with a perceived religious affiliation, a group defined by reference to colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origins, sexual orientation, transgender identity or disability

Cut it out or you may end up in jail.

For those that find songs offensive, report them to a steward.

missed this.

wookie70
26-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Lots of points to cover since I originally posted. My main reason for posting is that the paedo song is well past its sell by date and if you must sing it restrict them to when we play Hearts.

I would have been annoyed at the songs whether my son was attending or not. Him hearing them just made it worse.

I did say every second song in my original post and on a plus point the atmosphere created when Hibs songs were sung by those around the drum(no idea if they were the singing section or not) was good and plenty joined in. Any momentum though was quickly lost as the next song was back to the paedo nonsense. Some great songs about McGinn, Jason etc that unfortunately get lost in the bile. I didn't even mind the Sam N song too much as it was topical and humorous. I can't resist a Hibs song and embarrass my lad with joining in so I would welcome anything that increases the atmosphere. I'm no shrinking violet either so some relevant abuse doesn't bother me too much though I would probably desist from joining in. The paedo songs and to a lesser extent the Mercer songs are different though. Although I never heard it on Saturday the refugee song falls into the same category for me.

We happened to have a couple of very decent ex Hearts players on the pitch on Saturday who probably had as much to do with Craig Thomson as Raith Rovers or Jason Thomson. The excellent post regarding the victim and families of those concerned in the incident should be enough for any reasonable minded individual to stop singing paedo songs immediately.

I can remember being young and drunk and singing abusive songs. What I don't remember is singing about Richard Gough's private life to Airdrie fans or Robbo's wife songs to any St Johnstone fans. These songs were designed to have an impact on the opposing players on the pitch. We wanted to get inside the heads of the big players playing against us. Stevie Fulton may remember some abuse that led to him being effected on the pitch. From what I can see the current abusive songs seem to divide us more than wind the opposition up.

Thecat23
26-10-2015, 02:44 PM

Ah see but they aren't different. Both are offensive and could get you thrown out the game if reported! Unlikely in The Rangers case as the police don't care but you get what I mean.

It's widely excepted The Rangers are bigots and we always have a moan ourselves about it. But we can't then just pick and choose what's acceptable and what's not! For me both are as bad as each other!

Although this Sunday I might throw a few C words at them myself as I just can't help myself when they are here!! 😁

The_Horde
26-10-2015, 02:45 PM
missed this.

Forgive me, but I can't see what category singing about paedophiles falls under.

Mikey09
26-10-2015, 02:45 PM

First bit in bold... :faf:

Second bit in bold... Yes you could be. :rolleyes:

steakbake
26-10-2015, 02:47 PM
I don't really buy the argument about kids learning bad words at the football. I first heard the F word when I was in P3 - clearly remember the day as we were making a slide (rubbing crisp packets on the frost - remember when we used to get that!?) and two of the older kids got into a fight after a collision on it. Totally remember that I went home and kept repeating it until my old man heard me and set me straight. I didn't end up using it on a regular basis - I knew then it was an offensive word - and even as an adult, I don't tend to drop it into conversation unless there's a reason for it and I'm in the kind of company that can take it. Heard the C word in P5, again, another square-go in the playground and I knew instantly because of the kid who said it, that that wasn't one to take home!

The songs on the other hand - the WM song, it's pointless - as the song goes, he's gone. I think it's best to leave him rest - and perhaps more importantly, his family who are still among us - well alone. It happened at a time when most of the folk who were singing it on Saturday weren't even around.

Songs about paedos etc - look, we're probably dealing with a bunch of young teenagers who probably think it's hilarious. I know stuff I found amusing when I was a teenager isn't really that amusing now. If they kick off, then I don't see why folk just don't pitch in with an alternative song and drown them out if it is just a handful of people? A bit of self policing in a way - folks who are willing to get something going when the alternative is sounding a bit less than Hibs class.

I really miss the old East. The way the crowd used to get to their feet when a player was heading towards goal... the mad celebrations and the old fella who used to sing the proper vintage songs (no beards required) up at the back. It was a great place. There was always a bit of unsavoury language, but I don't want football to become totally sanitised. The singing section was an initiative to try and bring some of that atmosphere to a new East Stand and there's been some days where the atmosphere has been cracking.

Once we have something to crow about on the park, I'm pretty sure we'll move away from these kinds of songs naturally. They're just filling a vacuum just now, as I see it.

The_Horde
26-10-2015, 02:50 PM
First bit in bold... :faf:

Second bit in bold... Yes you could be. :rolleyes:

Could you? Really? Care to point out a case of someone being arrested for calling someone an offensive name not involving racism, bigotry or any other? I cant.

Moulin Yarns
26-10-2015, 02:51 PM
Forgive me, but I can't see what category singing about paedophiles falls under.

For your own good, stop digging. Singing that anyone is a paedophile could be construed as being offensive, whether it is true or not. Mob rule and lynch mobs are no longer legitimate.

The_Horde
26-10-2015, 03:13 PM
For your own good, stop digging. Singing that anyone is a paedophile could be construed as being offensive, whether it is true or not. Mob rule and lynch mobs are no longer legitimate.

Yes sir. I bow down to the superior knowledge and morals of the people of Hibs.net once again. How dare I have a differing opinion.

Kojock
26-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Could you? Really? Care to point out a case of someone being arrested for calling someone an offensive name not involving racism, bigotry or any other? I cant.

Using foul and abusive language in a public place is an offence, the C word certainly falls into that category. To call someone an offensive name because of their race or religion is an aggravation of the offence.

Moulin Yarns
26-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Yes sir. I bow down to the superior knowledge of the people of Hibs.net once again. How dare I have a differing opinion.

I don't think having a different opinion would stand up in court, might be worth a try though.

I disagree with you M'lud. I don't think you should be sending me to jail for 6 months.

Correct, Make that a year!!

The_Horde
26-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Using foul and abusive language in a public place is an offence, the C word certainly falls into that category. To call someone an offensive name because of their race or religion is an aggravation of the offence.

Go on then. Next time someone calls you that tell the authorities and see how seriously you're taken.

StevieBoyKdy
26-10-2015, 03:20 PM
I had the enjoyable 98 mins sitting right in front of them. They just called everyone a peado which to be fair was funny for the first five minutes but then quickly became boring. The guy fell on me twice, all in all they were just younger lads enjoying their day but ease of with the peado jokes, also heard vulgour things which I won't repeat on here to save their face a bit.

Hibeesmad
26-10-2015, 03:22 PM
I had the enjoyable 98 mins sitting right in front of them. They just called everyone a peado which to be fair was funny for the first five minutes but then quickly became boring. The guy fell on me twice, all in all they were just younger lads enjoying their day but ease of with the peado jokes, also heard vulgour things which I won't repeat on here to save their face a bit.

You might of been the guy sitting next to me, if so thanks for telling me I had dropped my wallet 👍

Kojock
26-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Go on then. Next time someone calls you that tell the authorities and see how seriously you're taken.

The next time you see a Police Officer, walk straight up to them and call them a C*** and see what happens.

Lago
26-10-2015, 03:27 PM
Your just being silly now because you've lost the argument. What your trying to defend is indefensible in modern society.

The_Horde
26-10-2015, 03:28 PM
The next time you see a Police Officer, walk straight up to them and call them a C*** and see what happens.

When did I mention offending a police officer? That's a whole different situation.

cmcd
26-10-2015, 03:32 PM
Really?

There are football songs and chants you can hear every Saturday and Sunday evening on MotD and MotD2 that don't focus on the opposing team's sexual preferences. Lots of them.

IIRC the reason for Section 43's existence originally was to generate support and encourage other fans to join in.

The day I join in any song about somebody being dead, or about someone being a paedophile, will be a very cold day in hell.

Keep it simple, focus on our own team, and copy the crowds that are good at supporting their players like the Palace boys.

Ain't rocket science.

BTW - was it our support that were chanting "You fat B*****d"? on and on? How imaginative. :rolleyes:

well said Doddie

Moulin Yarns
26-10-2015, 03:33 PM
When did I mention offending a police officer? That's a whole different situation.

See what you did there. It is alright (in your eyes) to go around offending everyone else, but you wouldn't do it to someone with the authority to do something about it.

Talk about choosing your fights. :wink:

The_Horde
26-10-2015, 03:33 PM
Your just being silly now because you've lost the argument. What your trying to defend is indefensible in modern society.

What argument did I lose? My point is that being a bigot is far worse than calling a paedo a paedo and that offensive songs at the football is nothing new nor is it solely hibs supporters that are guilty. I've sworn a thousand times at the football and I've never been arrested.

The_Horde
26-10-2015, 03:34 PM
See what you did there. It is alright (in your eyes) to go around offending everyone else, but you wouldn't do it to someone with the authority to do something about it.

Talk about choosing your fights. :wink:

A master in the art of twisting words, why don't you turn your talents to politics?

BSEJVT
26-10-2015, 03:47 PM
What argument did I lose? My point is that being a bigot is far worse than calling a paedo a paedo and that offensive songs at the football is nothing new nor is it solely hibs supporters that are guilty. I've sworn a thousand times at the football and I've never been arrested.

So as long everyone else does it that makes it okay?

What used to be an enjoyable day out has been eroded to some extent by a few but vocal number and aggressive number of neds using football as an excuse for anti social behaviour.

Whilst I accept entirely that Hibs are not alone in that problem, many folk are put off now by that environment

Even excluding results, the last 2 cup finals have been murder, folk totally out their heads, falling about the place arguing and fighting with their fellow supporters before during and after the game.

I have actually seen a few so hammered that they wouldn't or couldn't stand up and one guy who had even soiled himself.

Nobody likes a beer or a few beers more than me, but the time for getting hammered is after the game with your close mates in the pub.

Maybe if more folk stood up or even spoke out against the type of behaviour being discussed folk who wanted to go to the football for the football's sake could actually start to enjoy it again.

Folk arguing at the football isn't a new phenomenon but there are so many folk now that don't want to or cant behave that want to go boxing with folk who hold a different opinion to theirs that its hardly worth getting involved.

Behaviour at football just now is like a race to the bottom, with people afraid to pull folk up for unacceptable things

Moulin Yarns
26-10-2015, 03:51 PM
:top marks

Moulin Yarns
26-10-2015, 03:52 PM
A master in the art of twisting words, why don't you turn your talents to politics?

Working in Local Government teaches you the art of diplomacy, and how to deal with morons as well.

My_Wife_Camille
26-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Bunch of goons on here trying to say that calling a paedo a paedo is the same as being racist and bigoted :hilarious

Iggy Pope
26-10-2015, 03:57 PM

Do bollox and ****** fall into that category as well? If so, you're talking bollox. The c-word is used throughout society. I remember paying money to watch a band called that. Prefixed by the word anal.
Racial and religious hatred is different from swearing man. Robert De Niro never made a decent film without swearing in it.

The_Horde
26-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Working in Local Government teaches you the art of diplomacy, and how to deal with morons as well.

:hilarious carefully remove your head from your anus and join the real world pal.

Thecat23
26-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Bunch of goons on here trying to say that calling a paedo a paedo is the same as being racist and bigoted :hilarious

If I called you a peado with no evidence of being true you could sue me for slander.

Misunderstanding the difference and thinking one is fine and the other isn't is what I'd call hilarious 😂

Moulin Yarns
26-10-2015, 04:03 PM
:hilarious carefully remove your head from your anus and join the real world pal.

Judging by your opinions on this thread, pals is the last thing we could ever be, but don't worry, I'm sure someone will take pity on you.

The_Horde
26-10-2015, 04:03 PM
If I called you a peado with no evidence of being true you could sue me for slander.

Misunderstanding the difference and thinking one is fine and the other isn't is what I'd call hilarious 😂

Correct. So the current thread is irrelevant as the person im question actually is a paedophile.

The_Horde
26-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Judging by your opinions on this thread, pals is the last thing we could ever be, but don't worry, I'm sure someone will take pity on you.

Keep it up pal, I'm almost certain you're in for a promotion to admin of moralhighground.net

Thecat23
26-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Correct. So the current thread is irrelevant as the person im question actually is a paedophile.

That's really my point, why were folk signing about him at a Raith game? Don't you think it's a tad random and weird?

My issue is why do we sing these songs when there is loads to pick from. If we were playing Hearts then I could see the point but Raith... Really? Unless folk were stupid enough to think it was that Thompson who was found guilty?

The_Horde
26-10-2015, 04:08 PM

"you cannot say these things in front of people"

Andy74
Do bollox and ****** fall into that category as well? If so, you're talking bollox. The c-word is used throughout society. I remember paying money to watch a band called that. Prefixed by the word anal.
Racial and religious hatred is different from swearing man. Robert De Niro never made a decent film without swearing in it.

I don't think the different levels of offense is what the real problem is. The fact is that there is a group of fans who gather together and stand in a singing section and are allowed a drum in supposedly with the intention of leading the support in some supportive songs.

This isn't what they are doing for large parts of the game - they are getting together and acting like idiots.

Instead of being a positive section of support which leads a supportive atmosphere they are creating areas of away grounds that other fans can't stay around with their families.

I'd expect if it continues and it puts supporters off that down the line Hibs would be working with other clubs to make sure the local stewards don't allow the drums, the standing and so on.

marinello59
Keep it up PAL, I'm almost certain you're in for a promotion yto admin of moralhighground.net

Maybe you should read the rules regarding trolling. Just a thought.

TonyStokeprano
26-10-2015, 04:09 PM
Looks like the prawn sandwich brigade are out in force today, were rapidly picking up more middle and upper class snobs in our support, probably to do with pricing structure, driving the working man away from the game. That almost smug snidey yam like element has been creeping in for a while! Funniest part of the thread is folk still arguing with speechyslist and trying to convince themselves you would get arrested for calling someone a Noel hunt , sad little men

Just Alf
26-10-2015, 04:12 PM

I AM confused now though! :confused: ... you saying the Raith team had a paedo in it?? ..... and as a result the song's just banter?

Thecat23
26-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Looks like the prawn sandwich brigade are out in force today, were rapidly picking up more middle and upper class snobs in our support, probably to do with pricing structure, driving the working man away from the game. That almost smug snidey yam like element has been creeping in for a while! Funniest part of the thread is folk still arguing with speechyslist and trying to convince themselves you would get arrested for calling someone a Noel hunt , sad little men

😂😂

Possibly the funniest post on here. I grew up in a rough as tatties **** hole, I'm far from being a snob! What a comment that is btw!

Iggy Pope
26-10-2015, 04:15 PM
I don't think the different levels of offense is what the real problem is. The fact is that there is a group of fans who gather together and stand in a singing section and are allowed a drum in supposedly with the intention of leading the support in some supportive songs.

This isn't what they are doing for large parts of the game - they are getting together and acting like idiots.

Instead of being a positive section of support which leads a supportive atmosphere they are creating areas of away grounds that other fans can't stay around with their families.

I'd expect if it continues and it puts supporters off that down the line Hibs would be working with other clubs to make sure the local stewards don't allow the drums, the standing and so on.

I see what the problem is and I largely agree. They were getting on my nads as well. Not as much as the prick behind me that slated Otley (abusively) from minute one until his words were stuck in his craw. Better that than my elbow though. The fellah Kojock however bases his debate on swearing and the outlawing of same . That will pretty much restrict the game to families only. Good luck with all of that. Not only in football.

cabbageandribs1875
26-10-2015, 04:15 PM

there's a few ignoramuses on here that won't understand that

marinello59
26-10-2015, 04:17 PM

Wow.
Since when did coming from a working class background signify that you were more likely to engage in and tolerate boorish and offensive behaviour? :confused:

johnbc70
26-10-2015, 04:22 PM

Some of us grow up and mature, some of us clearly don't.

Just Alf
26-10-2015, 04:23 PM

you should have re-read this before posting, bet there's loads of us "working men" are gonna be pissed at getting tarred as being the same as thicko ignorant twats who don't know how to behave in public!!!

Kojock
26-10-2015, 04:23 PM

Just because words are used throughout society doesn't make them acceptable. Would you stand next to a crowd of 5 year olds cursing and swearing and deem that to be okay as a lot of people swear.

If people are not offended by swear words why cant we use them on Hibs net ?

CropleyWasGod
26-10-2015, 04:29 PM

One can be a "working-class" snob as well, you know. :wink:

My_Wife_Camille
26-10-2015, 04:30 PM
You cannot say filth flarn filth

Kojock
26-10-2015, 04:31 PM
I see what the problem is and I largely agree. They were getting on my nads as well. Not as much as the prick behind me that slated Otley (abusively) from minute one until his words were stuck in his craw. Better that than my elbow though. The fellah Kojock however bases his debate on swearing and the outlawing of same . That will pretty much restrict the game to families only. Good luck with all of that. Not only in football.

Whether you like it or not using foul and abusive language in a public place IS an offence, which could result in you being charged with a breach of the peace. I'm not outlawing swearing the law is.:confused:

BSEJVT
26-10-2015, 04:32 PM

That remark says so much about you that its frightening.

Its not about what social strata you come from and for the record my old man was a joiner and my mum a cleaner, its about not wanting to be surrounded by ********s when you are doing something you enjoy.

Normal working guys are as pissed off by it as anyone else.

You might be right though about pricing, it has driven the normal working man away, have a look at the ********s causing trouble, not many of them are working are they?

Shrekko
26-10-2015, 04:46 PM

Nothing like a bit of inverted snobbery! Absolute tosh as well.

Pretty Boy
26-10-2015, 05:25 PM

Not being funny but what's the relationship between you and My Wife Camille?

Every thread in which one of you is involved in a disagreement the other comes piling in to offer support and give the 10/10s and the like. I'm genuinely curious as I've noticed it a lot lately.

Pretty Boy
26-10-2015, 05:28 PM

Jeezo.

I'm about as 'working class' as you can get but have never related behaving like a tit in public to earnings and social status.

My_Wife_Camille
26-10-2015, 05:29 PM
Not being funny but what's the relationship between you and My Wife Camille?

Every thread in which one of you is involved in a disagreement the other comes piling in to offer support and give the 10/10s and the like. I'm genuinely curious as I've noticed it a lot lately.
People see what they want to see. I got a warning for calling him a yam not so long ago!

HNA6
26-10-2015, 05:31 PM
Keep it up pal, I'm almost certain you're in for a promotion to admin of moralhighground.netKeep it up pal and you won't be here long enough to see his promotion 👍

The_Horde
26-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Maybe you should read the rules regarding trolling. Just a thought.

Done. Now I would advise you take a look at them and point out exactly where I was trolling. As I can't see it.

wearethehibs
26-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Oh oh .net admins not agreeing with a poster. Time to ban them. This place is a joke!

Pretty Boy
26-10-2015, 06:01 PM
Oh oh .net admins not agreeing with a poster. Time to ban them. This place is a joke!

As far as I'm aware there's no obligation to log on.

If I thought somewhere was a 'joke' I know what I'd do.

FranckSuzy
26-10-2015, 06:03 PM

It's not just the admins though, is it?

NAE NOOKIE
26-10-2015, 06:06 PM

There's 3 adults in our group ... a joiner, a school dinner lady and me .. I'm retired, but if being brought up in poverty makes you working class, guilty as charged.

The ability not to act like an ******** isn't defined by what class you are mate, its defined by what sort of person you are. I presume you define folk who work in jobs like the civil service ( as I did ) as being in your middle / upper class snobs list. Take it from me, I was never short of colleagues whose language would have made a Leith docker blush, or folk who could cause a punch up in an empty room.

I've been friends with bin men with impeccable manners and intelligence to match and civil servants who were rude, thick as **** and dangerous to go drinking with.

Its not the 50s any more dude :greengrin

marinello59
26-10-2015, 06:24 PM
Done. Now I would advise you take a look at them and point out exactly where I was trolling. As I can't see it.

I ain't going to play games with you. You can debate the issue without the snidely comments and digs. Please try to do that.

StevieBoyKdy
26-10-2015, 07:01 PM
You might of been the guy sitting next to me, if so thanks for telling me I had dropped my wallet 

Was indeed. No problem

Since1875Hibs
26-10-2015, 07:15 PM
Damned when they do, damned when they don't...

FWIW I wasn't there on Sat and don't agree with the song choice. Folk are moaning about Hail Hail and the likes though, seriously?

cabbageandribs1875
26-10-2015, 07:22 PM
Damned when they do, damned when they don't...

FWIW I wasn't there on Sat and don't agree with the song choice. Folk are moaning about Hail Hail and the likes though, seriously?

i've not read every single post but i've not saw anyone else moaning about hail hail :dunno: although i would complain about the speed it's sang at nowadays....it's a race to see how fast it's sung :greengrin

Monts
26-10-2015, 07:41 PM
It is an offence to swear in public. Just very few people ever want to prosecute for it. Same goes for if you call someone something offensive, regardless of race, religion etc. People will usually just retaliate or leave to avoid the hassle.

basehibby
26-10-2015, 07:47 PM
First post on this thread is spot on and I was actually going to mention it on the thread about the Jambos young team.

I also had the misfortune to be sitting close to this group and maybe the players wouldn't be embarrassed by them but the club and the rest of the fans should be. The obsession with 'paedos' is absolutely alarming and it's been the same for years- the Thomson song must easily have been sung 10-12 times and every time a random Raith player came to take a corner or their goalie took a goal kick there was guaranteed to be shouts of 'paedo!' from the group. They might want to portray themselves us Hibs ultras but their interested in the game is absolutely minimal - for about 10 minutes they were singing songs about Sam Nicholson's girlfriend and even the actual Hibs songs were invariably punctuated with the 'he's deid' stuff. A lot of them looked like wee middle class lads wanting to be bad boys for the day- it's truly cringe-worthy. I didn't have a kid with me but there were quite a few parents with their sons and daughters nearby and it must be really awkward at times.

Totally agree - the paedo stuff is not just offensive to maiden aunt types - it's offensive to anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together. I personally find them a total embarassment shouting stuff like that at random players - it is way way more offensive than just about anything else you can call someone, and if I was a player targeted with such abuse it would certainly give me extra motivation to ram it right up the pathetic little squirts.
Message for the singing section - try singing Hibs songs and you might get more Hibbies joining your ranks. I like a good sing but would not want to be associated with the sort of brainless little welt that shouts Paedo at random thinking they are funny.

Sammy7nil
26-10-2015, 07:56 PM
Maybe slightly off topic but how many games (especially) at Hampden have you been to that were spoiled not only by the result :greengrin but by some drunken ******** and his mates that cant handle their bevvy?
Two can Dans incapable of saying two words without swearing falling about the place and generally acting like a dick. Unfortunately there are so many people who simply dont care about others enjoyment it is all about them.

Lago
26-10-2015, 07:59 PM
What an absolute insult to working men, so your argument if I understand it is that they are all a foul mouth. No what people are arguing about is what is called common decency.

andyf5
26-10-2015, 08:08 PM

At ER the drum people are separated from the flare and smoke folk. At away games this doesn't happen so they are regarded as one. Wrongly I think.

One of the best away games I went to was Motherwell 2012 where we filled both tiers and the singing section had us all going with "allez" and others. None of the songs mentioned here were sung. Helped that we won 4-0 thou ( 4 years ago today!)

rcarter1
26-10-2015, 08:19 PM
Paedophile songs and Mercer songs. Need better banter chaps. Simples.

LancashireHibby
26-10-2015, 09:22 PM
At ER the drum people are separated from the flare and smoke folk. At away games this doesn't happen so they are regarded as one. Wrongly I think.

One of the best away games I went to was Motherwell 2012 where we filled both tiers and the singing section had us all going with "allez" and others. None of the songs mentioned here were sung. Helped that we won 4-0 thou ( 4 years ago today!)
Great trip that one, and in fact an 'allez' recording from that game is still my ringtone :thumbsup:

I might suspect that the types involved in the singing of said songs will probably be the sort who crave the attention of being 'bad boys' and as such will thrive on threads like this when they log on here at school.

The Thomson/Mercer stuff had it's time and place, but it's time for things to move on. As mentioned earlier in the thread, they weren't even a twinkle in their dad's eye at the time of Mercer and probably had no understanding of the situation at the time of the Thomson controversy either.

Even since the old East Stand was knocked down there have been some great atmospheres, home and away, that have been driven by the 'original' singing section. It's such a shame that they're forever having a bunch of numpties try to latch on to them and undo so much good work.

Bronson
26-10-2015, 09:47 PM
I had a good laugh at the Sam Nicholson song.

Given the lassie's age I thought that was pretty shan as well tbh.

Jonnyboy
26-10-2015, 09:49 PM
Given the lassie's age I thought that was pretty shan as well tbh.

To be fair, I doubt anyone singing that song knew her age

FranckSuzy
26-10-2015, 09:50 PM
To be fair, I doubt anyone singing that song knew her age

And they were probably younger than her.....:wink:

H113EE5
26-10-2015, 09:59 PM
http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?300243-Ashamed-and-embarrassed-with-some-Hibs-supporters&highlight=

Had a similar discussion last season. We do have a bunch of moronic idiots following our club (as do all other clubs) but to suggest that swearing is something to be lauded and part of the working class banter is just plain wrong. Maybe you want wish to swear in front of your partner or wife or kids but most of us have higher standards and have respect for our families. If you want to show your working class credentials, a f*** off you c*** is not the way. Jeeeeezzzz, I thought we were a family club…… obviously not

Dashing Bob S
26-10-2015, 10:22 PM
I wrote on the Hearts/Ross County thread that we shouldn't be taking the high ground as we would be at each other's throats over fan behavior again - just didn't expect it to be so soon!

Singing songs about 'paedos'/Mercer utterly devoid of context is pretty lame, but it's difficult to tell young lads that. Their group raison d'ętre is to shock/annoy/irritate (let's not take the moral high ground - t'was always thus) and these are the current go-to chants of transgression and notoriety in their eyes.

I really do wish they'd shut up or find something more relevant and topical to sign about, but I suspect it ain't gonna happen, and the rest of us will have to put up with this tiresome annoyance.

Mikey09
26-10-2015, 10:40 PM

A football fan was trying to board a bus with his fish and chips in hand... Bus driver informed him he couldn't get on said bus with his chippy... Football fan then rants at him calling him all the C's in the world... Police called and football fan is ARRESTED for Breach of the peace as he has offended and caused distress to the Bus driver and some elderly passengers... I know this as I arrested the twat. BTW, no racism involved. Does this answer your question? There will be thousands of these cases cops across the country could tell you.

Mikey09
26-10-2015, 10:45 PM

Wow... Just wow! Where do you start with this post?!

Just Alf
26-10-2015, 10:51 PM
A football fan was trying to board a bus with his fish and chips in hand... Bus driver informed him he couldn't get on said bus with his chippy... Football fan then rants at him calling him all the C's in the world... Police called and football fan is ARRESTED for Breach of the peace as he has offended and caused distress to the Bus driver and some elderly passengers... I know this as I arrested the twat. BTW, no racism involved. Does this answer your question? There will be thousands of these cases cops across the country could tell you.

:top marks

I've seen similar, and as I'm not polis I'm glad it was just as a bystander and not "the dick head" :agree:

Stax
26-10-2015, 11:04 PM
There's a law against getting on a bus wi a chippy? His subsequent rant and your involevment thereafter amazes me.

Mikey09
26-10-2015, 11:29 PM
There's a law against getting on a bus wi a chippy? His subsequent rant and your involevment thereafter amazes me.

That was the condensed version of events Stax. I'm not in the Police force anymore but some bus companies as I remember had a policy not to let people on there vehicles with carry out food. I would imagine they had there reasons. His rant at the driver was out of order. A guy just trying to do his job. Driver ended up off with stress as this had been one of many insults, threats and abuse thrown at him over a period of time. Why would police involvement amaze you in this incident?!

My_Wife_Camille
26-10-2015, 11:30 PM
So how can you call him a twat but he can't call the driver a ****?

Mikey09
26-10-2015, 11:33 PM
So how can you call him a twat but he can't call the driver a ****?

Cause he was acting like a twat and the driver wasn't acting like a ****... :greengrin

kaimendhibs
26-10-2015, 11:38 PM
How does singing about dead people and paedophiles support the team? Genuine question? Surely our songs should be hibs songs supporting our lads. If anyone really thinks the obusive songs are ok, try them on the street, in the pub or at karaoke!

The_Horde
26-10-2015, 11:45 PM
How does singing about dead people and paedophiles support the team? Genuine question? Surely our songs should be hibs songs supporting our lads. If anyone really thinks the obusive songs are ok, try them on the street, in the pub or at karaoke!

On the flip side, if swearing is an offence then I'm pretty sure 3/4 of the much lamented "good old fashioned hibs songs" fall under the same bracket as singing about a paedo being a paedo?

So let's just not sing, or sing good old fashioned lullabies instead. In fact even some of them are deemed offensive these days.

Mikey09
27-10-2015, 12:05 AM
On the flip side, if swearing is an offence then I'm pretty sure 3/4 of the much lamented "good old fashioned hibs songs" fall under the same bracket as singing about a paedo being a paedo?

So let's just not sing, or sing good old fashioned lullabies instead. In fact even some of them are deemed offensive these days.

So I take it with your non response you now know if you get off that bus you were on and called someone a **** you may well be in danger of being arrested?
Maybe also you could think about the affect the songs you sing have on people sitting around you...
I've heard loads of swear words in football songs, however it's the context of that song and what you imply that can be offensive. Might not be offensive to you, or even me... But it will be to someone sitting near you. Maybe it's time to reign it in a wee bit eh?!

BH Hibs
27-10-2015, 12:08 AM
If these songs are offending that many people then try booing them when they get started. Alternatively if they are that bad complain to a steward or the police. Personally think some folk are getting a wee bit precious about this. I can remember standing in the old East singing some belters that would not be allowed now and probably rightly so. Doesn't make me big or clever but didn't turn me into a monster either. Also some people are saying they shouldn't be singing about Mercer as they weren't there at the time well some of those same posters weren't there at the time so should their opinion be ignored. Personally think that song is fair game after what he tried to do to our club.

The_Horde
27-10-2015, 12:24 AM
So I take it with your non response you now know if you get off that bus you were on and called someone a **** you may well be in danger of being arrested?
Maybe also you could think about the affect the songs you sing have on people sitting around you...
I've heard loads of swear words in football songs, however it's the context of that song and what you imply that can be offensive. Might not be offensive to you, or even me... But it will be to someone sitting near you. Maybe it's time to reign it in a wee bit eh?!

I suppose it depends what context I use would use it in, as you've clearly said. The situation described is one situation and it sounds like a tirade of abuse. Especially if the man in question chose to hang around for the police getting there.

There is a much higher chance of racial abuse being reported than someone calling another person a C***. Regardless of what the law states.

If the police arrested everyone who called someone a name there wouldn't be enough police or cells to manage. Racial abuse is far more serious than swearing or even breach of the peace.

As for the rest of your post, where did I say I sing them? I don't. I just find it highly ironic that a bunch of people who probably done the same things at the same age are getting their collective knickers in a twist yet again. And as I've stated before, it's been a part of going to the games as far back as I can remember and will continue to be. And not just in the hibs support.

FromTheCapital
27-10-2015, 12:28 AM
Think these lads bring a good quality atmosphere to away games and give a slight sense of liveliness around Easter Road on a Saturday. I understand a reeking group of Hibs fans belting out the mercer song or 'paedo' at tynecastle (not condoning it but it's just the sort of environment that after a sesh on the drink, the songs just come along) although, I agree there's no need for these songs to be sung at places such as Raith with a high number of bairns kicking about. All in all though the boys bring a bit of atmosphere to games but maybe be a tad more sensible about what to sign at that what games (sounds petty I know) but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Horde
27-10-2015, 12:29 AM
Apart from that, if all of these people have such a massive problem with what's being sung then start up your own songs or singing section and drown them out. People are quick to complain about atmosphere but are never proactive in sorting it out.

Dashing Bob S
27-10-2015, 03:04 AM
If these songs are offending that many people then try booing them when they get started. Alternatively if they are that bad complain to a steward or the police. Personally think some folk are getting a wee bit precious about this. I can remember standing in the old East singing some belters that would not be allowed now and probably rightly so. Doesn't make me big or clever but didn't turn me into a monster either. Also some people are saying they shouldn't be singing about Mercer as they weren't there at the time well some of those same posters weren't there at the time so should their opinion be ignored. Personally think that song is fair game after what he tried to do to our club.

Then you were fortunate to get off so damn lightly. I too sang those songs with gusto and grew into a violent alcoholic racist who can't achieve orgasm with a woman unless she wears stockings, suzzies, split-crotch panties and a Wallace Mercer mask.

marinello59
27-10-2015, 07:06 AM
I wrote on the Hearts/Ross County thread that we shouldn't be taking the high ground as we would be at each other's throats over fan behavior again - just didn't expect it to be so soon!

Singing songs about 'paedos'/Mercer utterly devoid of context is pretty lame, but it's difficult to tell young lads that. Their group raison d'ętre is to shock/annoy/irritate (let's not take the moral high ground - t'was always thus) and these are the current go-to chants of transgression and notoriety in their eyes.

I really do wish they'd shut up or find something more relevant and topical to sign about, but I suspect it ain't gonna happen, and the rest of us will have to put up with this tiresome annoyance.

That pretty much sums it up.
Things have changed over the past 30 years or so though and there are now much more family groups attending football. It could be argued that this is the market that football has to appeal to as the days of a male head of the household heading out to the fitba on a Saturday on his own every week are quickly disappearing. There is nothing more conservative on earth than a Scottish fitba fan but eventually the majority of us will have to accept that excusing our behaviour on a Saturday afternoon by simply saying that's what happens at football will no longer wash.

Keith_M
27-10-2015, 07:37 AM
Not completely related to current topic but.....

If a few Fans were determined to create a half decent atmosphere at ER I've always thought it would be a great a idea to locate themselves either at the back of the FF Lower or in the FF Upper. I'm convinced that, if a dozen or so older* Fans were starting chants and Hibs related songs, the kids in that stand would join in.

Obviously I'm not talking about some Ultras group here, as that's not exactly compatible with a Family Section, but I honestly think this would bring an often dreary ER to life, at least a bit more than at present.

* I'm not necessarily talking about OAPs, just some guys above the age of singing Paedo/Mercer songs.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-10-2015, 10:34 AM
These songs regularly get an airing pre/post big games in The Office on ER, water off a ducks back to me but, I've often felt a bit sorry for parents there with their young kids who may have to fend off some awkward questions from said kids.

steakbake
27-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Are song debates the new flag debate? Debate.

Moulin Yarns
27-10-2015, 10:45 AM

I think those songs should be bannered, and those found singing them have to serve some pennants.

CropleyWasGod
27-10-2015, 10:46 AM
I think those songs should be bannered, and those found singing them have to serve some pennants.

Yup. We have standards.

Kojock
27-10-2015, 10:55 AM

Nope, flag debate starts Monday after a few Tricolours are produced during the Sevco game.:wink:

HappyHanlon
27-10-2015, 12:05 PM
The C word can be used in a positive light though...

i.e. that guy's a good ****

WeeRussell
27-10-2015, 12:09 PM

Fair game to dance around, singing about someone dying of cancer, at a football match?

IanM
27-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Apart from that, if all of these people have such a massive problem with what's being sung then start up your own songs or singing section and drown them out. People are quick to complain about atmosphere but are never proactive in sorting it out.

I thought the 'singing section' were there to create atmosphere, not divide the fans? don't think we should boo our own fans. can we just not sing the peado and mercer song and let them do what they like bar that?

The_Horde
27-10-2015, 01:06 PM
I thought the 'singing section' were there to create atmosphere, not divide the fans? don't think we should boo our own fans. can we just not sing the peado and mercer song and let them do what they like bar that?

As with this thread, I'm assuming they have different opinions on what's acceptable and what's not. That said, I'm lead to believe it wasn't our usual singing section singing it.

Dashing Bob S
27-10-2015, 01:24 PM
Things have changed over the past 30 years or so though and there are now much more family groups attending football. It could be argued that this is the market that football has to appeal to as the days of a male head of the household heading out to the fitba on a Saturday on his own every week are quickly disappearing. There is nothing more conservative on earth than a Scottish fitba fan but eventually the majority of us will have to accept that excusing our behaviour on a Saturday afternoon by simply saying that's what happens at football will no longer wash.

As you say there is that changing demographic attending football, and it makes that type of lifestyle/cultural clash more apparent. Unfortunately, it's always going to be a problem at away games, when the entire support is treated as one homogenous block, and cramped into the same space.

It's better at ER, but still not ideal. I think the problem is that the East is now too big to effectively just house the hardcore 'anything goes' fans, unlike say, the old East. I think it's probably way past time we considered the FF as the home of the vociferous element, where young lads can enjoy the rough and ready 'rites of passage' stuff, away from the family sections, which should be in the East, and the West for the premium customer. Then people like myself can decide whether we want to do the family thing, (east/west) have a more relaxed laugh with friends (east/west) or go all menopausal at derbies etc and join the ranks of daft youth and sad, unreconstructed bams for the day, fully aware of what we're getting into.

hibsbollah
27-10-2015, 06:06 PM
As you say there is that changing demographic attending football, and it makes that type of lifestyle/cultural clash more apparent. Unfortunately, it's always going to be a problem at away games, when the entire support is treated as one homogenous block, and cramped into the same space.

It's better at ER, but still not ideal. I think the problem is that the East is now too big to effectively just house the hardcore 'anything goes' fans, unlike say, the old East. I think it's probably way past time we considered the FF as the home of the vociferous element, where young lads can enjoy the rough and ready 'rites of passage' stuff, away from the family sections, which should be in the East, and the West for the premium customer. Then people like myself can decide whether we want to do the family thing, (east/west) have a more relaxed laugh with friends (east/west) or go all menopausal at derbies etc and join the ranks of daft youth and sad, unreconstructed bams for the day, fully aware of what we're getting into.

Excellent post and the suggestion re-the FF was discussed at length on here and with the working together group.

I hate the paedo-obsessive songs that seem to be part of the songbook these days. When I went to games as a boy, the same age as my boy is now, the song of choice at derbies was a simple furious burst of 'you're gonna get your ****ing heids kicked in', followed by eleven claps. It's got a honest fury that the current young team need to learn from :aok:

Since1875Hibs
27-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Back at ER on Sunday with the section sold out already. We'll do our talking in the stands when cheering the team onto victory.

GGTTH.

ancient hibee
27-10-2015, 08:39 PM
Then you were fortunate to get off so damn lightly. I too sang those songs with gusto and grew into a violent alcoholic racist who can't achieve orgasm with a woman unless she wears stockings, suzzies, split-crotch panties and a Wallace Mercer mask.

So you think that was a woman in the Wallace Mercer mask do you?

PatHead
27-10-2015, 10:12 PM
Back at ER on Sunday with the section sold out already. We'll do our talking in the stands when cheering the team onto victory.

GGTTH.

Can you not extend it then?

Moulin Yarns
27-10-2015, 10:15 PM
Can you not extend it then?

They have run out of vouchers.

Just Alf
28-10-2015, 10:10 AM
I'm pretty sure the Section 43 folks nowadays tend to veer away from the songs that take us down to the level of the Yams etc..... It wasn't always that way, but the guys grew up, mentally at least! :wink: ...... Pretty sure the issue last week was down to the bevvied hangers on...... Let's see how it goes this week.

I'd also say, booing songs that make Hibs fans looks like fools isn't an "anti Hibs fan" activity, it actually supports real Hibs folks.

:flag:

heretoday
28-10-2015, 12:09 PM
If you can get caught up in the excitement of the game then these sort of chants and songs can be either ignored or laughed off.

However, far too often there's not much of merit happening on the park and if a "paedo" chant is the only thing going on..........well it's not much of a way to spend a Saturday/Sunday afternoon with your kids.

And they wonder why people are deserting Scottish football.

brisbanehibs
28-10-2015, 01:36 PM

Great post. I don't post here often but did so after I took my son to his first game at Dumbarton on day 1 when there was just low level crap flying around, nothing major but no place for a kid. I thought I would take him to Kirkcaldy on Saturday on basis away end was bigger and we could find a sensible spot to watch the game. No such luck - not only did we have the singing section in our ear we then had the pleasure of watching a group of grown "men" squaring up to each other (like Dumbarton all over again) down the bottom left of the stand with zero intervention from stewards and just a general 90 minutes of what regular swearing/cursing at the smallest things imagineable (we won FFS)....

For the avoidance of doubt, having grown up following Hibs everywhere I hate to remind myself of what my behaviour/language was like at games, especially given the crap we had to watch in those days and I completely understand the reaction of some on here who probably think "deal with it" and just don't take kids to the games. But the game and society is changing and there's loads of us who probably went to the games in the 80s grown up with kids now and that changes things (at least it does for me and it appears a few on here). The club will die if we don't get young kids coming to games and why should we do this through gritted teeth and come away from some games feeling we've actually let our kids down by taking them to the match? That's how I felt on Saturday and, ofcourse, it'll be a while before I take him to another game - so that's two punters lost and revenue with it.

I wrote to the club after Dumbarton with some constructive suggestions including that the club re-establishes expectations of its travelling fans, establishes a reserved area at away games for families (not easy I know) and maybe takes steps to police its fans more pro-actively, maybe even encourage self policing - but I didn't get a reply. The good thing about this thread is it seems there's a shared concern with many of us and maybe therefore the solution lies with us and not the club.

At the end of the day, we often pat ourselves on the back as the "Hibs Family" and we hear terms like "Hibs Class" a lot. I honestly think we should challenge ourselves on this, I haven't seen it myself on recent visits to watch us. Think it's time for us all to work out what sort of club/support we want to be....

And to the earlier poster who linked this to class/prawn sandwiches, I should apologise for being middle class (I guess) so appreciate I should probably go to the rugby on Saturday.

Dashing Bob S
28-10-2015, 01:39 PM
Excellent post and the suggestion re-the FF was discussed at length on here and with the working together group.

I hate the paedo-obsessive songs that seem to be part of the songbook these days. When I went to games as a boy, the same age as my boy is now, the song of choice at derbies was a simple furious burst of 'you're gonna get your ****ing heids kicked in', followed by eleven claps. It's got a honest fury that the current young team need to learn from :aok:

Forgive my ignorance, but were any conclusions draw/recommendations made to the club?

Andy74
28-10-2015, 01:45 PM

Works well in other countries behind the goals. Was at Sporting game in Lisbon last week and they had their section behind the goal.

As others have said the view and facilities these days make the East a stand that isn't just full of dafties like it used to be. Even then you knew if you kept away from under the gantry you were probably okay with a kid.

Don't know about others but I can't hear the section from the other end of the East - I do hear everything from behind each goal though, possibly others would hear and join in better if it was moved?

Moulin Yarns
28-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Works well in other countries behind the goals. Was at Sporting game in Lisbon last week and they had their section behind the goal.

As others have said the view and facilities these days make the East a stand that isn't just full of dafties like it used to be. Even then you knew if you kept away from under the gantry you were probably okay with a kid.

Don't know about others but I can't hear the section from the other end of the East - I do hear everything from behind each goal though, possibly others would hear and join in better if it was moved?

Does it need to be aformal thing with special access with vouchers?

Could it not be that a few adults that like a sing could start going to the FF and start songs from there and it would hopefully grow.

Andy74
28-10-2015, 01:54 PM
Does it need to be aformal thing with special access with vouchers?

Could it not be that a few adults that like a sing could start going to the FF and start songs from there and it would hopefully grow.

Don't know about how they manage it elsewhere but they had a little platform for the guy who was leading them with a loudhailer and so on so it was certainly a club supported and orgnaised thing in some way.

Steve20
28-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Singing about Paedophiles and people being dead isn't encouraging the team, so let's not pretend it's giving the team extra backing.

If you think that singing about Paedophiles is acceptable, then maybe you need to have a long look at yourself and wonder why you find behaving like **** acceptable.

Just an opinion.

Jonnyboy
28-10-2015, 02:30 PM
Singing about Paedophiles and people being dead isn't encouraging the team, so let's not pretend it's giving the team extra backing.

If you think that singing about Paedophiles is acceptable, then maybe you need to have a long look at yourself and wonder why you find behaving like **** acceptable.

Just an opinion.

This 100%

--------
28-10-2015, 02:34 PM

Just an opinion.

This 100%

Me too. 100%. :agree:

hibsbollah
28-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but were any conclusions draw/recommendations made to the club?

I personally stopped being involved with the group, but i did submit a bit of research which was very interesting, and it went as far as making contact and getting some costs from the German manufacturer of the seats they use in the bundesliga with a view to presenting it as an option. Mattyf probably remembers. I recall a vast majority of hibs net supported the idea in a poll.

Pete
28-10-2015, 06:02 PM
I can understand the argument behind directing insults at Hearts regarding child abuse but why it would be part of anyone's song book at Raith or anywhere else is puzzling.

I'm not buying this "songs that don't support the team are inappropriate" stuff either. Since football chants have began there have been songs poking fun at your rivals/other cities/other players etc...

I know what you guys are saying but there has to be a balance. I hope it remains edgier than "hibernian rah rah rah".

Since1875Hibs
28-10-2015, 06:58 PM

Just an opinion.

Who said it was acceptable?

Dashing Bob S
28-10-2015, 07:21 PM
I personally stopped being involved with the group, but i did submit a bit of research which was very interesting, and it went as far as making contact and getting some costs from the German manufacturer of the seats they use in the bundesliga with a view to presenting it as an option. Mattyf probably remembers. I recall a vast majority of hibs net supported the idea in a poll.

Right, thanks.

Scouse Hibee
28-10-2015, 07:29 PM
I can understand the argument behind directing insults at Hearts regarding child abuse but why it would be part of anyone's song book at Raith or anywhere else is puzzling.

I'm not buying this "songs that don't support the team are inappropriate" stuff either. Since football chants have began there have been songs poking fun at your rivals/other cities/other players etc...

I know what you guys are saying but there has to be a balance. I hope it remains edgier than "hibernian rah rah rah".

Yes you're right, I remember the days of chanting Bryan Robson's got VD and such like from the Kop in the 80's. Always been acceptable to have a dig at opposition players to a certain extent. The constant chanting of paedophile at all and sundry is pathetic though and seems to be a sad inditement of todays football culture.

Dashing Bob S
28-10-2015, 07:30 PM
Me too. 100%. :agree:

I would agree, but youngsters are often pretty daft in groups, and come up with all sorts of ways to annoy old menopausals like myself. I think they are basically showing off to each other. As was stated earlier on this thread, chants from my day like 'you're gonna get your ****ing heads kicked in' directed at rival fans, weren't really about supporting the team either. Nor were they particularly about rival fans, just about a group of young chaps showing off to each other.

I find it a bit boring, annoying and cringeworthy to hear those chants, but I have to confess that a younger self would be delighted at my current incarnation's discomfort, and positively thrive on it. And, when all's said and done, that's probably the way it has to be and should be.

Scouse Hibee
28-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Have heard the Celtic hordes will be armed with posters of Nicholsons girlfriend tonight, pretty sad.

3pm
28-10-2015, 07:48 PM
Have heard the Celtic hordes will be armed with posters of Nicholsons girlfriend tonight, pretty sad.

What's the relevance?

Holmesdale Hibs
28-10-2015, 10:31 PM
Absolutely. I have it on very good authority that the Hertha Berlin supporters (20,000 or so filling one end of the Olympic Stadium) can sing, chant and make noise from well before KO till well after the final whistle without mentioning paedophiles or dead people once

I'm a season ticket holder at Palace and our fans manage it every week as well. But it's not really setting the bar that high is it - most normal folk go a lot longer. Sad state of affairs when we're praising fans for not singing about dead folk and peados.

Agree completely with the OP - if we have to sing that ***** let's save it for the PBS. But even better sing Hibs songs.

--------
29-10-2015, 12:02 AM
I'm a season ticket holder at Palace and our fans manage it every week as well. But it's not really setting the bar that high is it - most normal folk go a lot longer. Sad state of affairs when we're praising fans for not singing about dead folk and peados.

Agree completely with the OP - if we have to sing that ***** let's save it for the PBS. But even better sing Hibs songs.

I have to say that every time I watch Palace on TV I'm hugely impressed by the fans and the volume of support they give their team - and as far as I can make out, all thoroughly positive. If I were living in London, that in itself would persuade me to get a season ticket and go along.

Wallace Mercer has been dead for nearly 10 years now; it's more than 25 years since his takeover bid failed. If his death is the only thing some folks can think of to sing about, plus targeting the WRONG PLAYER about a sex scandal that has no relevance whatsoever to the game we're actually playing in, then those folks need to take a hard look at themselves.

There are any number of football-related chants and songs we should be using to encourage the team. You can hear them any time football's being televised and most of them are fairly easy to learn. 'Paedo' chants and mercer songs just bring the club down IMO.

PS - commiserations about tonight's result - looks like City were taking you really seriously and really wanted to win the game.

Holmesdale Hibs
29-10-2015, 09:57 PM
I have to say that every time I watch Palace on TV I'm hugely impressed by the fans and the volume of support they give their team - and as far as I can make out, all thoroughly positive. If I were living in London, that in itself would persuade me to get a season ticket and go along.

Wallace Mercer has been dead for nearly 10 years now; it's more than 25 years since his takeover bid failed. If his death is the only thing some folks can think of to sing about, plus targeting the WRONG PLAYER about a sex scandal that has no relevance whatsoever to the game we're actually playing in, then those folks need to take a hard look at themselves.

There are any number of football-related chants and songs we should be using to encourage the team. You can hear them any time football's being televised and most of them are fairly easy to learn. 'Paedo' chants and mercer songs just bring the club down IMO.

PS - commiserations about tonight's result - looks like City were taking you really seriously and really wanted to win the game.

Atmosphere is always very good. Most of the noise comes from the lower tier behind the goals by the corner flag (bottom left if you watch on tv) but the whole stadium get involved at times. They only negativity I've ever heard was towards the end of Warnocks time last year.

If you're ever down south it's well worth a visit - tickets are normally available for cat B games and reasonably priced compared to the other London teams. It's a great team to watch but I still miss Hibs.

I was worried about the City game when I saw the draw. 11 vs 11 we were unlucky against them earlier this season but their squad is so strong and if they clicked on the night we'd always struggle.