PDA

View Full Version : 30 years ago this weekend

Tom Hart RIP
25-10-2015, 07:23 PM
John Blackley's Hibs side lost 3~0 to Fergies Aberdeen in the League Cup final.
We had a decent young side but we're no match for the Dons.
I remember the Hibs fans singing continually for the last 10 mins despite the score.
We beat Rangers over 2legs in the semi. The second leg at ibrox is one of my favourite memories. Roughie was magnificent that night

AlbertK86
25-10-2015, 07:42 PM
John Blackley's Hibs side lost 3~0 to Fergies Aberdeen in the League Cup final. We had a decent young side but we're no match for the Dons. I remember the Hibs fans singing continually for the last 10 mins despite the score. We beat Rangers over 2legs in the semi. The second leg at ibrox is one of my favourite memories. Roughie was magnificent that night

Yep great atmosphere.

Skol cup in these days.

Second leg at Ibrox in the semi was a complete nail biter after Cooper struck an absolute peach of a free kick

Seem to remember that same Dons team blew the bottling Jambos away in the Scottish Cup Final later that season !!! Think the Hertz maybe lost a big game the week before that final as well 😂😂😂👏👏👏 !!!

madabouthibs
25-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Great cup run, beating Celtic in the Quarters with a penalty shoot out at ER was a night to remember. :flag:
That 2nd leg at Ibrox was the only game I missed home or away that whole season, due to an ear infection. My mum wouldn't let me go coz I hadn't been at school! :rolleyes:

O'Rourke3
25-10-2015, 08:25 PM
First leg was same day my appendix came out. Still in recuperation day of the final so watched on telly

Alfred E Newman
25-10-2015, 08:27 PM
First leg was same day my appendix came out. Still in recuperation day of the final so watched on telly

Same old excuses!! :greengrin

O'Rourke3
25-10-2015, 08:35 PM
:greengrin:

Spike Mandela
25-10-2015, 09:00 PM
I remember Middle of the road singing "chirpy chirpy cheep cheep" on the pitch in the pre match 'entertainment.

high point of the day.:cb

IberianHibernian
25-10-2015, 09:11 PM
At the time people didn`t think of 85/86 as being a good season but finalists of LC , semis in SC ( 0v3 against Aberdeen again I think ) and 5th ( ? ) in league was good in a decade which was not a good one . Only problem was Hearts having even better year at a time when most fans will still have considered a draw against Hearts as a bad result after being dominant team in Edinburgh for all of 70s and some of 80s .

Hibby Bairn
25-10-2015, 09:29 PM
I remember the Hibs fans singing continually for the last 10 mins despite the score.
We beat Rangers over 2legs in the semi. The second leg at ibrox is one of my favourite memories. Roughie was magnificent that night

Was that the game at Ibrox where we had the Govan Road stand?

erin go bragh
25-10-2015, 10:11 PM

We had the Broomland stand mate . It was a night to remember .
30 years ago 👀 My god

GGTTH

Tom Hart RIP
26-10-2015, 04:37 AM
That's right. The whole of the Broomloam Stand. Didn't Rangers manager say he had never seen an atmosphere like it from away fans?
The quarter final penalty win after 4-4 draw with Celtic was brilliant as well.
After 3 pens we just needed a goal to win then up steps Benny and missed. Also Gordon Rae???
Went to sudden death and Pierce Oleary (David's brother) put it over bar. I was in the shed so had perfect view.
We also knocked them
Out of the Scottish cup 4-3 in the QF with a last min goal from Eddie May.

Billy Whizz
26-10-2015, 06:01 AM

We had the govan stand when we played Celtic in the mid 1990's, Scottish cup semi and replay

NAE NOOKIE
26-10-2015, 06:02 AM
That's right. The whole of the Broomloam Stand. Didn't Rangers manager say he had never seen an atmosphere like it from away fans?
The quarter final penalty win after 4-4 draw with Celtic was brilliant as well.
After 3 pens we just needed a goal to win then up steps Benny and missed. Also Gordon Rae???
Went to sudden death and Pierce Oleary (David's brother) put it over bar. I was in the shed so had perfect view.
We also knocked them
Out of the Scottish cup 4-3 in the QF with a last min goal from Eddie May.

My abiding memory is Gordon Durie's header in the first leg ... followed by the quick realisation at Hampden that Aberdeen were going to be far too good for us.

As for the Eddie May goal ... one of my favourite moments as a Hibs fan, what a goal it was http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

marinello59
26-10-2015, 06:30 AM
I remember Middle of the road singing "chirpy chirpy cheep cheep" on the pitch in the pre match 'entertainment.

high point of the day.:cb

That sticks in my mind too. :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
26-10-2015, 06:41 AM
Seem to remember Eddies goal was a header at the back post. Not bad for a wee man. Reference the final, I was getting a new suite delivered that day and the missus was adamant I was going nowhere till it was delivered. Unfortunately it came in plenty time. 😠

Billy McKirdy
26-10-2015, 07:16 AM
30 years ago now? hard to believe, it was my first final, me and my mates met up at the Buffs club behind the old Woollies on Princes st at some stupid time the morning of the final and I mind being in some state long before we got in :greengrin
I remember the semi better even though I never got in until just before half time and just in time to see Coopers free kick. still my only time at Ibrox for any game.

skipster7
26-10-2015, 07:27 AM
Remember being so late getting in to Ibrox due to traffic on the m8, had barely sat down when Cooper just about took the net off to make it 1- 2 !
Gordon Rae was brilliant that night but im sur he got booked and missed the final. Huge loss tbh.

skipster7
26-10-2015, 07:32 AM
In the SC semi Durie played despite being injured but I'll always remember John Collins chipping Bryan Gunn at 0-0 , hits the underside of the bar and bounces on the line...Steve Cowan turning away to celebrate instead of following it in lol:greengrin

StevieC
26-10-2015, 08:19 AM

I had my appendix out the same say as the semi-final in 1991 ..

I can remember listening to the semi-final on hospital radio right up until Wright scored .. and then "request time" kicked in and I was left with 2 hours of Jimmy Shand and Patsy Kline!!!

Every nurse that walked past my bed got asked if they knew what the football score was, and I was all for signing myself out to try and find a TV for the ceefax updates!!

"WTF is ceefax?" I hear you cry :greengrin it was our generation's equivalent of Sky Sports Football Score Centre .. for the younger ones, listen to the sigh of nostalgia from your auld man when you mention "ceefax page 302"

... I still made the final though, so unless you had life threatening peritonitis after surgery its a poor excuse. :wink:

brog
26-10-2015, 02:04 PM
I remember Kano hitting a screamer in last few mins of final into top corner & thinking, ah well, at least we scored, then Jim Leighton somehow flew across the goal, IIRC used his wrong hand, ie his right one :wink: & tipped it over. Best save I'd seen since Ray Clemence did almost exactly the same against Kenny Dalglish at Wembley.

Kato
26-10-2015, 02:50 PM
I remember Kano hitting a screamer in last few mins of final into top corner & thinking, ah well, at least we scored, then Jim Leighton somehow flew across the goal, IIRC used his wrong hand, ie his right one :wink: & tipped it over. Best save I'd seen since Ray Clemence did almost exactly the same against Kenny Dalglish at Wembley.

Kano had the ball in the net that game too, given offside as Bob Valentine wanted to preserve the Dons record of not losing a goal in winning the trophy.

Caroline Hibby
26-10-2015, 04:02 PM

It was Peter Shilton

brog
26-10-2015, 04:15 PM
It was Peter Shilton

Not the one I'm thinking of, took a small deflection on the way. I remember the Shilton save though & you're correct, it was also stunning.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-10-2015, 04:28 PM
In the SC semi against Aberdeen at Dens, we were the better team for much of that game. IIRC that was the same day that West Tip won the National. Had a few quid on.

Bostonhibby
26-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Great thread, That final was my last game as an Edinburgh based Hibby :boo hoo: Met very early in the pub, we had our own bus laid on, had a very late night once we got back to Edinburgh. Bizarrely, bumped into an old guy in the Artisan who had been through as well. He had a Supporters Club tie with Skol Cup Final 1985 on it - he insisted on giving it to one of us - no idea why. I still have it. Just wish we'd won!

erin go bragh
26-10-2015, 08:02 PM
This was the season we lost the first six games in the league but during the week in the cup games we were on fire .

GGTTH

Glory Lurker
26-10-2015, 08:49 PM
My first Final as a young lad. Barely slept for a few nights before it, and then we were totally outclassed :boo hoo:

I remember the JC chip (although my memory has it as Brian Rice - but that's probably wrong) at Dens at the Scottish Cup semi. It was all downhill after that. :boo hoo:, again. At least the Final was a laugh, though!

FranckSuzy
26-10-2015, 08:57 PM
My three abiding memories from that game are: all the Eastern Scottish supporters buses lined up outside ER, most of the men needing a pee before Harthill and me being the only girl on the bus, as they lined up and 'relieved' themselves against the aforementioned transport :tee hee:

Andy74
26-10-2015, 09:14 PM

My first cup final disappointment as a kid!

Nakedmanoncrack
26-10-2015, 10:13 PM
My second final, remember being bitterly disappointed - all over after about 12 mins, 2 for Eric Black I think.

PatHead
26-10-2015, 10:15 PM
My second final, remember being bitterly disappointed - all over after about 12 mins, 2 for Eric Black I think.

One of the best headers of a ball I have seen. Used to hang in the air.

kaimendhibs
26-10-2015, 10:23 PM
We had the Broomland stand mate . It was a night to remember .
30 years ago 👀 My god

GGTTH

I was there. What a night

Frazerbob
27-10-2015, 10:08 AM
So many memories from that season, in fact I remember more about games then than I do the last few season.

1. The Skol Cup game v Motherwell was my last as a ball boy. I was behind the goal at the Dunbar End and wee Well fan was giving me pelters the entire match whilst he was standing on the fence. I finally snapped and pushed him off said fence. Was spotted by a cop and led me round the pitch and up the tunnel.....much to the amusement of my Dad's mates in the centre stand.....not so much my Dad though! I was duly "mutually consented" by Raymond Sparks!
2. The quarter final penalty shoot-out, I was in the Cow Shed with my mate who I dragged along for his first ever game. Needless to say he's been hooked ever since!
3. First trip to Ibrox and was blown away by it.....and the Hibs support once they finally mad it into the ground.
4. First cup final, the buzz traveling through on the 50 Club bus was amazing and, as mentioned above, the Hibs fans during the last ten minutes were fantastic! I was sat in the stand and remember my mates in the terrace unveiling the worst banner I've ever seen at a game. A tatty old sheet with "Alan Rough, Scotland's Number 1" written in horrible brown paint!
5. The semi at Dens Park, so unlucky and didn't deserve to lose to a great Dons team. However my abiding memory from that game was the battles after the game.....mental, still the worst football violence I've seen in person. Scary for 13 year old!
6. Last game of the season versus Dundee Utd, still one of the funniest days of my life!

StevieC
27-10-2015, 12:02 PM
However my abiding memory from that game was the battles after the game.....mental, still the worst football violence I've seen in person. Scary for 13 year old!

The ones before the game were worse .. I mean better .. or do I mean worse .. either way you are right, it was mental. :take that

Rougier45
28-10-2015, 06:38 PM
CCS in their earliest days -Swaggered to Hampden -Ski hats on, Wedge, Bubble jacket , cheeky wee Lacoste jumper and steaming in -2 great mobs -no sectarian nonsense -although a few liberties taken afterwards .

Good Mobs

Great Aberdeen team

Great memories

Albert Kidd and then Fergie walloped the hearts in SC final the week after

We had JC who played like JC

SkintHibby
28-10-2015, 06:45 PM
OMG I was at the quarter, both the semi games and the final.

Abiding memory was the second leg at Ibrox. I remember us getting attacked after the game with bottles and traffic cones!

Cant believe it was 30 years ago. Where does the time go?

Broken Gnome
28-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Anyone remember the 1979 semi final against Aberdeen, and why only 9,837 turned up as I've just read?

Rougier45
28-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Anyone remember the 1979 semi final against Aberdeen, and why only 9,837 turned up as I've just read?

was there also-only 10 Edinburgh west bus -quiet coming back _ final was closest we have come peter mcloy-penalty -arthur duncan -relegated year after

Tom Hart RIP
28-10-2015, 07:21 PM

I was there and they must have herded us together as my but was packed. Not sure why the low crowd. Seem to remember it was midweek. Unusual to be at hampden when no old firm playing. Should have been tynie or Dundee. Good win though

Jumbo
28-10-2015, 07:25 PM

Even the final wasn't that great a crowd, 50,000 and only around 30,000 for the 2 replays !

Bishop Hibee
28-10-2015, 08:16 PM
Hard to believe it's 30 years ago. I was at every game of the League Cup run. Final was a damp squib.

Semi at Dens in the Scottish Cup was a good day out. Mini bus run by Pathead left from the Scottie. Safer than his driving 😉. I had a ticket for the enclosure under the stand. We all jumped trackside when Collins hit the underside of the bar as we thought it was in. Hibs support louder than the sheep for the last 10 minutes even though we were 3-0 down. The season had a good ending though!

Scottie
28-10-2015, 10:38 PM
Double decker bus from the club shop never been on a bus that rocked so much on the way and on the way back. Despite the score it was a brilliant day.

The atmosphere at the quarters against Sellick and the semi Huns I'll never forget.

30 years ago WOW ! Feels like yesterday. GGTTH :flag: