PDA

View Full Version : Jason Cummings

Pages : 1 [2]

bournehibby
16-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Good players come, good players go...it's an essential part of football but after the summer with the way we handled the Scott Allan saga, I now trust Hibs to do the right thing for the club and the supporters...with that in mind, I don't think Cummings will be going anywhere soon but whilst he is our player, banging in goals, let's enjoy him, let's appreciate him and who knows, we may even start singing a song about him (and who knows but perhaps our support to him may entice him to commit to Hibs for that wee bit longer when the bigger opportunities start knocking)....

...Jason Cummings baby...Jason Cummings whoaaaaooo oooo oooh 

We need to watch out for a tempting bid from Bournemouth tho. They are struggling just now, as their "talisman" goal scorer Callum Wilson has a long term injury, and frankly, without his potency in front of goal, B'mouth look a shadow of the team of last year.
IMO JC would fit the bill very well, but more importantly, a move to the EPL would be a good one career wise, and avoid long term bench warming at either of the OF.
Would hate to lose him just now as he's vital to our promotion push.

bh:worried:

Smartie
16-11-2015, 12:36 PM
We need to watch out for a tempting bid from Bournemouth tho. They are struggling just now, as their "talisman" goal scorer Callum Wilson has a long term injury, and frankly, without his potency in front of goal, B'mouth look a shadow of the team of last year.
IMO JC would fit the bill very well, but more importantly, a move to the EPL would be a good one career wise, and avoid long term bench warming at either of the OF.

Bournemouth have spent big on some players, haven't they?

What would be loose change to them could be a massive transfer fee for us.

I'd want to keep him obviously but it would be interesting to see what a "struggling for goals" PremierLeague side might want to bid for a player on form.

And for all Stubbs has done brilliantly to attract some of the players he has, I think we'd find it hard to find similar quality that would be prepared to come to the Scottish Championship.

Super_JMcGinn
16-11-2015, 12:36 PM

He is nowhere near EPL class Yet.

lord bunberry
16-11-2015, 02:01 PM
He is nowhere near EPL class Yet.
You're probably right about that, but the thing about him is that he's scoring goals against every type of team he comes up against. It would be interesting to see how he got on against Celtic if we get them in a cup game this season, the league cup final would be a great platform for him.

Super_JMcGinn
16-11-2015, 02:14 PM
You're probably right about that, but the thing about him is that he's scoring goals against every type of team he comes up against. It would be interesting to see how he got on against Celtic if we get them in a cup game this season, the league cup final would be a great platform for him.

Yes it would, and here's hoping it happens, and he scores the winner. :greengrin

Jack
16-11-2015, 02:56 PM

Cummings has been scoring plenty at every level he's played at. I was surprised it took him so long to start firing in goals at our level and I think there's much more to come!

jacomo
16-11-2015, 03:06 PM
:faf: You'd cash in rather than try and keep him, FFS you lot are not trying that hard these days. :lolyam:

The sad thing is that he did really try - this was the best he could come up with.

Are there any other players that fitba genius Craig Levein wants to send our way?

lord bunberry
16-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Yes it would, and here's hoping it happens, and he scores the winner. :greengrin

Let's hope so

lord bunberry
16-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Cummings has been scoring plenty at every level he's played at. I was surprised it took him so long to start firing in goals at our level and I think there's much more to come!

So do I. A natural goal scorer like him could go far in the game, the only thing I can think of that would hold him back is that he is fairly small. Most top strikers these days seem to be quite tall(with a couple of obvious exceptions)

ancient hibee
16-11-2015, 04:50 PM
Bournemouth have spent big on some players, haven't they?

What would be loose change to them could be a massive transfer fee for us.

I'd want to keep him obviously but it would be interesting to see what a "struggling for goals" PremierLeague side might want to bid for a player on form.

And for all Stubbs has done brilliantly to attract some of the players he has, I think we'd find it hard to find similar quality that would be prepared to come to the Scottish Championship.

Obviously he's nowhere near EPL standard.

I seem to remember Stevie May was going to be the next big thing.He scored goals against better defences than Jason does.Where is May now-loaned out by Sheffield and not getting off the bench at Preston.Jason wants to keep things like that in mind.

hibsbollah
16-11-2015, 04:58 PM

I seem to remember Stevie May was going to be the next big thing.He scored goals against better defences than Jason does.Where is May now-loaned out by Sheffield and not getting off the bench at Preston.Jason wants to keep things like that in mind.

It's not a very persuasive argument that because one striker doesn't make a success of his career down south, Jason Cummings won't either. I recall the majority on here thinking Fletcher wouldn't make in England either (he's one footed, lacks composure etc etc). Cummings went scoreless in his first 17 games (or something) and now he's on the verge of breaking a legendary goal scoring record...the lesson is, you never know with football.

Jack Hackett
16-11-2015, 05:05 PM

Sound advice. He only has to cast his eyes along the M8 to see how much game time one of his ex team-mates (and Championship Player of the Year) is getting since his big move.

ancient hibee
16-11-2015, 05:09 PM
It's not a very persuasive argument that because one striker doesn't make a success of his career down south, Jason Cummings won't either. I recall the majority on here thinking Fletcher wouldn't make in England either (he's one footed, lacks composure etc etc). Cummings went scoreless in his first 17 games (or something) and now he's on the verge of breaking a legendary goal scoring record...the lesson is, you never know with football.

Of course you don't.While you can only play against what's in front of you Joe Baker's record was at a higher level-he'd have broken every record in this league.Fletcher was never going to be a top scorer but he is athletic and an intelligent player and more suited to surviving in poor teams because he has the physique to work hard.

Smartie
16-11-2015, 05:40 PM

I don't think he's anywhere near EPL standard yet either.

But I don't think it is outrageous to think that a club like Bournemouth might make a move for him in January. Even if they were relegated they'd probably benefit from having him around their squad for a few months before having a decent tilt at coming back up with him in their team/ squad.

They are rich enough that they could chuck away a million or so without having to think twice about it. I don't think we'll ever be in a position to turn that kind of money down.

There doesn't seem to be a great pattern as to who goes down there and succeeds and who goes down there and fails. I remember thinking Duncan Ferguson was gash every time I saw him - he was a roaring success down there and is an Everton legend. Ross McCormack scores goals for fun in the Championship. Steven Fletcher was far from complete when he left us but kept working hard and improved and has carved out a very good career for himself. I remember Steven Dobbie was a figure of fun on here - until he got his act together.

And then you have the numerous failures.

Players who are confident and scoring goals at any level will always attract interest from bigger clubs.

Super_JMcGinn
16-11-2015, 05:45 PM

But I don't think it is outrageous to think that a club like Bournemouth might make a move for him in January. Even if they were relegated they'd probably benefit from having him around their squad for a few months before having a decent tilt at coming back up with him in their team/ squad.

They are rich enough that they could chuck away a million or so without having to think twice about it. I don't think we'll ever be in a position to turn that kind of money down.

There doesn't seem to be a great pattern as to who goes down there and succeeds and who goes down there and fails. I remember thinking Duncan Ferguson was gash every time I saw him - he was a roaring success down there and is an Everton legend. Ross McCormack scores goals for fun in the Championship. Steven Fletcher was far from complete when he left us but kept working hard and improved and has carved out a very good career for himself. I remember Steven Dobbie was a figure of fun on here - until he got his act together.

Players who are confident and scoring goals at any level will always attract interest from bigger clubs.

I don't think he is anywhere near Championship level either to be fair. I think he has a long way to go yet.
Yes he has scored lots of goals but from what I have seen during a game he has a lot to learn, and has to develop a lot more physically.

jacomo
16-11-2015, 05:50 PM

The fans might not have seen it, but Fletcher was identified as the best of the Hibs Kids by coaches when he was 17. Mowbray gave him lots of opportunities (often wide) even though he was very raw.

There isn't quite that same buzz around JC, although to his credit he has seized the opportunities that have come his way. In fact Stubbs said he was unlikely to start many games last season but JC forced himself into the team.

Lago
16-11-2015, 06:08 PM
It is kind of disappointing though that the common consensus seems to be that he will go, probably sooner than later. Just shows how far Scottish football has fallen when measured against other leagues. Also will not encourage fans back to watch hibs.

bournehibby
16-11-2015, 06:36 PM

Agree with all that Smartie. For those that think JC isn't "EPL standard", having seen Bournemouth a few times this season, there's little doubt that he would fit in very well as B'mouth have quality playmakers, but currently missing a decent goalscorer. Eddie Howe knows a player when he sees one, and won't be watching JC for fun.
Hope I'm proved wrong tho, and he stays with a good bit longer :greengrin
bh

Libby Hibby
21-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Jason Cummings baby...Jason Cummings whoaaaaooo oooo oooh 💚💚

lord bunberry
21-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Jason Cummings baby...Jason Cummings whoaaaaooo oooo oooh 
:faf::faf:

Libby Hibby
21-11-2015, 07:11 PM
:faf::faf:

Am I that predictable?

lord bunberry
21-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Am I that predictable?
I didn't even need to click on the thread to know what your post said :greengrin

poolman
21-11-2015, 07:17 PM
I would cash in if I'm brutally honest. Think he is a decent player who is scoring goals against part time players in a poor league and if we got good money for him I would take it considering the time left on his contract.

Oh dear

Libby Hibby
21-11-2015, 07:27 PM
Any renditions of the song break out this afternoon? I hope so, as this guy truly needs to be apreciated by us supporters and the best way is to burst into chorus...

...Jason Cummings baby...Jason Cummings whoaaaaooo oooo oooh 💚💚

.Sean.
21-11-2015, 07:30 PM
Get him on longer deal pronto

wookie70
21-11-2015, 07:31 PM
I can't remember the last time I watched a Hibs player go through on goal like today and had no doubt he would score. Keith, Keith, Keith in the Skol Cup was similar for me. The Muffin Man will be kicking himself about all those misses on Tuesday particularly the one he chose to go round the keeper.

lord bunberry
21-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Any renditions of the song break out this afternoon? I hope so, as this guy truly needs to be apreciated by us supporters and the best way is to burst into chorus...

...Jason Cummings baby...Jason Cummings whoaaaaooo oooo oooh 
There was one after his goal. I agree he needs to know how much he's appreciated so he doesn't think about leaving in January.

bingo70
29-11-2015, 06:26 AM
Back of the sun today saying Leeds are wanting Cummings.

Bit of a non story as there's no talk of price or any quotes but still worthy of back page headlines apparently.

Col2
29-11-2015, 08:04 AM

Bit of a non story as there's no talk of price or any quotes but still worthy of back page headlines apparently.

Yup no substance in the article which is small but heading is big and main back page headline.

I wonder why The Rangers players are not linked with moves?

Jones28
29-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Weird that Cummings is linked with moves left right and centre but Waghorn - the top scorer - and Tavernier aren't?

bigwheel
29-11-2015, 08:29 AM
Weird that Cummings is linked with moves left right and centre but Waghorn - the top scorer - and Tavernier aren't?

It's because they are both known down south - and clubs know them as bang average players ... Waghorn will never score as many goals again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Marvin
29-11-2015, 10:20 AM

Exactly why we need to do everything we can to tie him down for another couple of years

Billychaotic182
29-11-2015, 10:30 AM
Norwich just paid 8 million for him on my football manager, expect nothing less in real life lol

Borderhibbie76
29-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Good old West coast media at their best trying to unsettle our players yet again...oh so tedious and predictable

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

matty_f
29-11-2015, 10:46 AM
I'd be hugely surprised if there wasn't a lot of interest in Jason, as well as our other players. We're doing well, and that generally draws attention.

I am surprised that it made the back page of the paper as the main story - I'm not even sure what level Leeds play at any more, but at best a second tier English club fancying a second tier Scottish club's striker isn't exactly a 'stop the press' story IMHO.

We need to get used to it though, there will be stories about our players right through til the window closes - not necessarily because of an agenda to unsettle us, but more because teams want to sign good players, and we have good players.

silverhibee
29-11-2015, 11:00 AM

There scouts have been up watching him.

Hibs will be tested in January by a couple of English clubs making bids for him in the next window.

Aldo
29-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Anything and everything to unsettle our players.

Hopefully Jason will see staying at Hibs for another few years benefit him in the long run.

The reason no one is interested in Der Hun players as the majority are pretty average at best.

bingo70
29-11-2015, 11:11 AM

Hibs will be tested in January by a couple of English clubs making bids for him in the next window.

I don't doubt that they are interested, to make it into a proper story there needs to be a bit more meat on the bones though, they could have at least speculated on the amount of the bid.

Right now it's a story that a club is interested in a good player that's already attract a lot of interest.

Onion
29-11-2015, 11:21 AM

Ridiculous. Story big as that is worthy of double page spread so Huns can read it when wrapped around their bottle of Buckie :rolleyes: Sure they'll be keeping the Warburton speculation for a Special Edition.

B.H.F.C
29-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Anything and everything to unsettle our players.

Hopefully Jason will see staying at Hibs for another few years benefit him in the long run.

The reason no one is interested in Der Hun players as the majority are pretty average at best.

I disagree about them just trying to unsettle him/us.

He's banging goals in and only has 18 months left on his contract. Of course people are going to be looking at him and of course it's going to be reported.

Totally different to the Allan situation where where him and his agent were basically writing the articles and the press were only to happy to publish it for them.

After the dross of the last few years we are finally doing something right when players are being linked with moves.

silverhibee
29-11-2015, 12:02 PM
I'd be hugely surprised if there wasn't a lot of interest in Jason, as well as our other players. We're doing well, and that generally draws attention.

I am surprised that it made the back page of the paper as the main story - I'm not even sure what level Leeds play at any more, but at best a second tier English club fancying a second tier Scottish club's striker isn't exactly a 'stop the press' story IMHO.

We need to get used to it though, there will be stories about our players right through til the window closes - not necessarily because of an agenda to unsettle us, but more because teams want to sign good players, and we have good players.

:agree:

This is not the West coast media trying to upset our players, it's as you say, we have good players and a inform striker who are being noticed by clubs down South.

Aldo
29-11-2015, 01:54 PM
I disagree about them just trying to unsettle him/us. He's banging goals in and only has 18 months left on his contract. Of course people are going to be looking at him and of course it's going to be reported. Totally different to the Allan situation where where him and his agent were basically writing the articles and the press were only to happy to publish it for them. After the dross of the last few years we are finally doing something right when players are being linked with moves.

Of course he's going to get looked at by other teams and rightly so., with the amount of goals he's scoring.

But

I think even if it's a non story about one of our players they will run it and there is evidence to back that up.

Big L
30-11-2015, 09:58 PM
It would be very easy tostop all this crap, get him on a longer and better contract, if this was the yams or aberdeen or any club with an ounce of ambition it would be sorted. As far as I'm concerned the lads head is already wasted, he doesn't need any more people messing with it.

scoopyboy
30-11-2015, 10:10 PM
It would be very easy tostop all this crap, get him on a longer and better contract, if this was the yams or aberdeen or any club with an ounce of ambition it would be sorted. As far as I'm concerned the lads head is already wasted, he doesn't need any more people messing with it.

And you know Hibs aren't trying to get him on a longer and better contract do you?

Sir David Gray
30-11-2015, 10:17 PM

How do you know Hibs aren't trying to sort something out?

I'm sure Leeann Dempster realises his worth to the team.

FranckSuzy
30-11-2015, 10:43 PM

Eh? :confused:

Smartie
30-11-2015, 10:47 PM

A while back I might have agreed with you but behind all of the nonsense and the daft interviews I get the feeling that he's actually pretty smart.

He's maturing as a player and as a person. I'd love to see us tie him down to a longer contract but I could understand that he might want to keep his options more open, especially given that he might be looking (god forbid) at another season in the Championship next season.

stoneyburn hibs
30-11-2015, 10:47 PM
Eh? :confused:

Can only assume that L means his head is wasted from using too much peroxide.

B.H.F.C
30-11-2015, 10:52 PM
A while back I might have agreed with you but behind all of the nonsense and the daft interviews I get the feeling that he's actually pretty smart.

He's maturing as a player and as a person. I'd love to see us tie him down to a longer contract but I could understand that he might want to keep his options more open, especially given that he might be looking (god forbid) at another season in the Championship next season.

Personally, I think someone like him would be mad to commit to a new contract when they don't actually need to, with no guarentee that we will be out of this league next season.

That said, I hope we can tie him down and I fully expect that the club will be trying to do so.

Not In The Know
01-12-2015, 08:26 AM
Does he share the same agent as Scott Allan? i hope not...

Thecat23
01-12-2015, 08:48 AM
Thing is, even if Jason signs for another four years he'd prob still go in the summer. Just means we'd get a very good fee for him. Contracts these days just mean they are signing so the clubs get more money.

There is no loyalty now, not that I blame them in anyway for moving to a better standard and earning more as I'd do the very same. No matter what happens with him I'm convinced he will be away come end of summer window.

superfurryhibby
01-12-2015, 08:50 AM
Personally, I think someone like him would be mad to commit to a new contract when they don't actually need to, with no guarentee that we will be out of this league next season.

That said, I hope we can tie him down and I fully expect that the club will be trying to do so.

The voice of reason. I agree with your point, If I were in his position I would be balancing the extra wages against the bigger picture, what league Hibs will play in would be a factor. The allure of the Scottish second tier must surely be wearing a bit thin?

Another consideration will be our financial situation, if we fail to win promotion. In those circumstances I would imagine the club would have to pragmatic about taking a fee for him, especially if the player himself wants away.

Cummings is still developing as a player. He knows where the goals are, no question about that. However, his overall game will continue to improve as his experience and awareness grow. He has tremendous potential and the big decisions he will face in the coming year are crucial. Here's hoping he is getting good advice and can navigate his way through the choices he will face.

01-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Thing is, even if Jason signs for another four years he'd prob still go in the summer. Just means we'd get a very good fee for him. Contracts these days just mean they are signing so the clubs get more money.

There is no loyalty now, not that I blame them in anyway for moving to a better standard and earning more as I'd do the very same. No matter what happens with him I'm convinced he will be away come end of summer window.

Very true words. Jason is developing and turning into an asset and for the Club to protect their financial position they need to get him on a longer deal. Problem comes his agent will also know this so will be holding out for more cash for his client right now and lets not forget the agent will be looking for a cut now and then a wedge when he moves.

The inevitable will come and Jason will move on so we shouldn't fool ourselves to think he'll sign a long term deal and he'd see it out. If they get him on an extended contract and the offers come the Club will sell. All clubs will sell if the price is right - its not lacking ambition, its the business side of the game we have to live with. Just don't want it to be before the end of this season at least and with promotion in the bag.

The accounts have just been announced with a £800k loss - there will be more of the same in the year to come in the Championship so assume its another £800k. Who funds this? STF has sorted out the long term debt and agreed an interest free loan for that. He won't want to do that and still allow debt to increase to him year on year. Short term it will have to be funded through player sales or increased commercial revenue.

For all the feel good factor about the Club generated because Stubbs is delivering some great football there still appears real lack of ability to deliver increased revenues. Ok TV revenue will be down being in the Championship but if that can't be turned around I fear selling our best players too quickly at below market value will be the only way out.

brog
01-12-2015, 09:56 AM

I agree in principle Cat but I think we'd get at least another season out of JC. Clubs will probably try with cheeky low bids in the summer but I suspect most will want to wait & see how he performs if we return to the top div. It took a long time but RP finally learned the value of long term contracts when John Collins virtually held him down until he offered one to Fletch. LD is already much more savvy & she & RP will have no problem rejecting cheeky bids. I really do expect to see an announcement on an extension for JC in the New Year. If someone told us 18 months ago that we would have the likes of McGeouch, McGinn & Fyvie under contract & previously had SA as well, they'd have been sent for a lie down in a dark room. We're much more professional throughout the club now, our stance & conviction re SA was superb. Of course backing & supporting our club in every way possible is the best way of keeping our talent at ER!

Lago
01-12-2015, 10:58 AM
It won't be only Jason who will be weighing up his options a few others will be thinking of their future careers especially if no promotion. Cummind almost certainly will look to move South if he has any ambition.

GreenCastle
01-12-2015, 11:09 AM
It would be great if Hibs offered him a slight increase and that meant his contract is extended.

He gets more money and Hibs get a larger transfer fee from him when he leaves. How much is he worth anyway right now?

This is still only his 2 full season of football and while his goals ratio is impressive - it may prove a slight risk for a team in England or abroad. Delia probably wouldn't give him a game at Celtic as bad as they are right now.

He isn't going anywhere this season - though as stated its really important we get promoted this year to hopefully make him want to try a season in the top league. The reality is though if we don't get promoted this season we could loose him, some other players and possibly even our manager (though this could happen even if we go up)! Stubbs to Celtic and take JC with him ?! Not a great thought !

Hibernian Verse
01-12-2015, 01:18 PM

How much is too much to refuse? 2mil?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

GreenCastle
01-12-2015, 01:24 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/leeann-dempster-no-desire-to-sell-hibs-players-1-3962687

Wouldn't expect anything different.

I can't see anyone leaving in January - no doubt the papers and radio shows will be full of it before we play Sevco and reach some of the most important months of our season.