PDA

View Full Version : Raith Rovers 1 - 2 Hibernian (McGinn, Cummings) FT

Pages : 1 [2]

bingo70
24-10-2015, 05:40 PM
4 or 5 mins at least :agree:

full points from two tough away games is excellent, but that's two games running where the home teams have controlled most of the 2nd half, it was night and day our first and second 45 mins again this afternoon

I wasn't at either game but maybe we need to give the opposition a bit more respect. Sounds like we're playing at a high tempo for the first half but a home team is always likely to come back into it, once it gets to 10-15 mins left it makes sense to try abd preserve the lead.

Different at home but when we're away against the better teams in this league I'd rarely be expecting anything more than a narrow win.

Baldy Foghorn
24-10-2015, 05:42 PM
Yip, according to BBC stats went from 64% possession to 49% by end of the game. Sure Stubbs will be working on that.

We had two tough away fixtures in five days, possession dipped, maybe tiredness a factor.....

StevieBoyKdy
24-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Just back, we popped the ball about very well in the first half. Lovely goal from McGinn and good lob from Cummings. Second half though we were asking for trouble, lacked tempo, and rather scoring made us more nervy. Cummings in the later stages brokers from half way line and should have played Keatings in for a tap in he needs to just learn more to get his head up rather than look for the headlines would be my only criticism but he is still a great forward who has vastly improved.
overall a good win unbeaten in ten and bring on the Rangers.

Keith_M
24-10-2015, 05:52 PM
This is starting to make up for some of the awful decisions given against us in the last few years. May it continue

:agree:

We're long overdue some controversial decisions to actually go in our favour.

cabbageandribs1875
24-10-2015, 05:52 PM
I wasn't at either game but maybe we need to give the opposition a bit more respect. Sounds like we're playing at a high tempo for the first half but a home team is always likely to come back into it, once it gets to 10-15 mins left it makes sense to try abd preserve the lead.

Different at home but when we're away against the better teams in this league I'd rarely be expecting anything more than a narrow win.

both games had the home teams taking the aerial route in both 2nd halfs, we certainly got out of jail against falkirk(imo of course) and i for one was just waiting on the late equaliser coming today, luck plays a part in things as well and we will run out of it in another game, this sitting back and soaking up the pressure for lengthy spells has my nails bitten down to the quick :greengrin

oh aye and p.s. i've never tasted such disgusting Bovril in all my life of away games, they must have been using the same beef cube from their last home game...absolutely tasteless

B.H.F.C
24-10-2015, 05:55 PM
Switched off in the second half after being very good in the first. We won and that is all that matters ahead of playing Rangers next week.

erin go bragh
24-10-2015, 05:57 PM
Fantastic 3pts . Brilliant first half , not so good second but couldn't give a flying one . Bring on The Rangers next Sunday .

GGTTH

JimBHibees
24-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Another good 3 points. Roll on next Sunday.

Agree great result.

cabbageandribs1875
24-10-2015, 06:08 PM
noticed they had £20 above the turnstiles but we were only getting charged £18, anyway that's cost us £12 per goal this week :greengrin

linlithgowhibbie
24-10-2015, 06:41 PM
noticed they had £20 above the turnstiles but we were only getting charged £18, anyway that's cost us £12 per goal this week :greengrin

I never got any change off my £20 note. I thought it was 20 to get in!!!!!

:gwa:

SteveHFC
24-10-2015, 06:44 PM

Same here. Robbing *******s. ;-)

scoopyboy
24-10-2015, 06:46 PM

It was unless you got your tickets in advance.

Hope I'm right with the above as I never got change off my score either. :aok:

IWasThere2016
24-10-2015, 06:57 PM

My bro paid a £20 note over and got £2 back.. I was £23 for me and the lad - much more the price Scottish fitba should be tbh.

SteveHFC
24-10-2015, 07:03 PM
Did anyone go to the Abbey after the game. Good atmosphere.

Baldy Foghorn
24-10-2015, 07:14 PM
£20 for me, no ticket given, scamming cash would be easy there

high bee
24-10-2015, 07:15 PM

I got in for £18. Maybe it's normally £18 and one of the turnstile guys forgot it was more today? Even the poster at the gate said £20.

Baldy Foghorn
24-10-2015, 07:38 PM
I got in for £18. Maybe it's normally £18 and one of the turnstile guys forgot it was more today? Even the poster at the gate said £20.

Advertised as £18 if ticket purchased in advance. Ach well, £2 extra to see another 3 points.....Not all bad:greengrin

Cod Boy
24-10-2015, 07:42 PM
6/6 points this week at two difficult venues.Bring on the rangers

Billy Whizz
24-10-2015, 08:10 PM

You can see why it suits them to have a cash gate, and not tickets

IrnBru22
24-10-2015, 08:46 PM
Hibs cant keep the ball and raith come again, Hibs win back at the edge of the box, long ball to cummings down the left, he twists beats his man inside the box, shoots from 12yards out and the keeper tips it over the bar., Corner hibs.

Should of passed to Keatings who would of had a tap in

Baldy Foghorn
24-10-2015, 08:50 PM

Indeed, our end looked really busy and sure it holds 3,370.....Crowd of 4,100? Hmmmmmm, not convinced

B.H.F.C
24-10-2015, 08:53 PM
Indeed, our end looked really busy and sure it holds 3,370.....Crowd of 4,100? Hmmmmmm, not convinced

Hibs support listed as just over 2k on the official site. From where I was sitting there was definitely more than 2k in that stand.

Billy Whizz
24-10-2015, 08:58 PM
Hibs support listed as just over 2k on the official site. From where I was sitting there was definitely more than 2k in that stand.

Think the stand holds 3,300, couldn't see 1,300 empty seats

Sir David Gray
24-10-2015, 10:54 PM
Having watched the game with replay's on Raith TV the handball from Hanlon after Daly's overhead kick was a stonewall penalty in my view, and I and most if not all of us on here would have been screaming for it if it was a hibs claim.

either way we won and that's all the matters.

I haven't seen any replays of this and it was almost impossible to tell from where I was sitting, however I hope it was a blatant penalty.

That, along with our controversial penalty award at Falkirk the other night, make those wins all the sweeter in my eyes. :aok:

Long may they continue.

IrnBru22
24-10-2015, 11:37 PM
Good report from the Raith website...

A rousing and spirited second-half performance wasn’t enough to sustain Raith Rovers 100% home-record this afternoon, as they went down 2-1 to a Hibernian side, who moved to within five points of leaders Rangers with the win.

Ray McKinnon made one change from last week’s win over Alloa Athletic, with Craig Wighton dropping to the bench for Ross Matthews, who supplemented the midfield, with Mark Stewart asked to play just behind Jon Daly in front of a narrow midfield four.

Hibernian started the match shooting towards the Raith stand, and it was the away side who created the game’s opening chance, when Liam Henderson’s free-kick was flighted towards an unmarked Darren McGregor at the back-post, but his header could only ripple the side-netting.
However, Rovers relief was short-lived, as Alan Stubbs’ side took the lead with an excellent strike after just four minutes. The initial Hibs attack appeared to have been halted at the edge of the area, however, John McGinn gathered up the loose ball 20-yards from goal, and after taking one touch to set himself, he unleashed a fantastic strike past a helpless Kevin Cuthbert, to put Rovers behind at Stark’s Park for the first time this season.

The early goal was a huge setback to Ray McKinnon’s side, who had made a fairly timid start to the game. A Raith Rovers free-kick in the middle of the park was squared straight off the pitch, and from the resulting throw-in, Hibs broke away, allowing McGinn another bash at goal, but this time he pulled his effort wide.

Hibs were very much in the ascendency at this stage, and while Rovers were seeing a fair amount of possession, they were toiling to create anything of note. To compound matters, there was a slickness about Hibs in terms of turning defence into attack quickly, with Jason Cummings and Dominique Malonga looking in the mood up-front.

It was the latter of the two who had a chance to increase Hibs lead after quarter-of-an-hour, but after good work from Dylan McGeough, his low cross found Malonga inside the six-yard-area, but the striker found himself crowded out before he had a chance to get a shot away.
Rovers had yet to really trouble the Hibs backline, other than a couple of brief flurrys. Iain Davidson released Scott Robertson on the left, and whilst his cross caused a bit of a fankle inside the away box, it was eventually cleared to safety.

Mark Stewart was then played down the left, but his cross-shot across the area bobbled ineffectively wide.

It was a slight hint for the home fans that their side had the ability to get back into the match. However, they were somewhat dashed after 25 minutes, when Hibernian doubled their advantage, with another excellent finish.

Lewis Toshney appeared to be caught underneath a mighty thump up-field from goalkeeper, Mark Oxley, which Cummings brought down expertly, before dinking a fine lob over the onrushing Kevin Cuthbert for 2-0.

Rovers now had the metaphorical mountain to scale, although the remainder of the half was mostly concerned with keeping the deficit to two.
David Gray tried his luck from distance after a Malonga header wasn’t cleared effectively, while McGinn was also keen to shoot from anywhere within 25-yards, although once again, he failed to test Cuthbert.

Liam Henderson then almost took advantage of a James Craigen pass-back, which arguably travelled higher into the air than it did towards Cuthbert, although the midfielder was eventually shut out by Kyle Benedictus.

As disappointing as the first-period had been from a Raith perspective, the one positive was that the damage wasn’t quite irreparable.

That said, the second-half began with Hibs looking to seal the match, and Henderson almost done just that, after cutting in from the left and curling a fine effort just past the far post.
Oxley had yet to tested in the Hibernian net, but Rovers did fashion their first chance after 50 minutes. A free-kick from the right found Scott Robertson at the edge of the area, and while his first-touch appeared to make life more difficult for himself as it spun into the air, his acrobatic shot wasn’t too far wide.

Like last week, Ray McKinnon decided to make a double substitution, and just a minute after Robertson’s chance, Craig Wighton and Mitch Megginson replaced James Craigen and Ross Matthews.

Just like the aforementioned fixture, the substitutions seemed to create a positive impact on the team, and while the goal didn’t arrive quite as promptly as last Saturday, Rovers found themselves back in the match with half-an-hour remaining.

Jason Thomson whipped an excellent ball from the right to the back post, to find Jon Daly peeling away from his marker before forcing a header past Oxley from close-range.
Rovers now very much had their tails up, and Wighton was afforded too much room inside the area a few minutes later, but a strong block from Lewis Stevenson prevented the youngster from getting a shot away. Disconcertingly however, Wighton was forced off on a stretcher in the aftermath of the tackle, to be replaced by Grant Anderson with 25 minutes remaining.

The lengthy break for treatment gave Hibs a few minutes of respite, but Rovers were straight on the attack again, with Rory McKeown’s long throw finding Davidson who saw his shot blocked, before Stewart darted into the penalty area, only to send his shot over the bar.
Rovers were still enjoying the lion’s share of the ball, but three Hibs substitutions inside eight minutes had somewhat broken up their momentum, while the pace of James Keatings who had just been introduced, gave the away team a new, troublesome outlet.

Rovers continued to press, and in the 83rd minute, the players and fans felt hard-done by, when Daly’s overhead kick from a Stewart header, was blocked on the line. There was a huge appeal for a penalty, although referee George Salmond was adamant the incident didn’t merit one.

Grant Anderson then went down under a challenge inside the area as the fans roared for a foul, but again nothing was given.

Even as the match continued deep into stoppage time, Rovers continued to create chances. Benedictus saw his 22-yard free-kick well held by Oxley, then right on full-time, Thomson managed to fire a shot on target from inside the area, but his goal-bound effort was headed over the bar.

While the final whistle brought disappointment and frustration, Rovers could take heart from the fact they had Hibs on the back-foot for large spells of the match. They’ll be hoping to take the excellent second-half performance into next week’s match against Livingston.

cabbageandribs1875
25-10-2015, 01:22 AM
4,164 at the other three games

4,114 at Starks park(for the benefit of the tax man:wink:)

hibbybrian
25-10-2015, 02:23 AM

When the Raith Rovers TV commentator read out the official attendance of just over 4,100, both he and his co-presenter said the crowd looked more like 5,000 to 5,500 :devil:

erin go bragh
25-10-2015, 05:51 AM
We had to enter the stand at the far right of the stand as the stewards were blocking all the other entries saying they were full . You'd be lucky if there was a hundred empty seats . If folk were paying £20 cash without receiving a ticket , I'd say the figure of just over 2000 would have been the ticket count .

GGTTH

Keith_M
25-10-2015, 08:15 AM
Anybody got photos from the game, maybe including the crowd?

FranckSuzy
25-10-2015, 10:10 AM
Never seen a refereeing and lineman performance like that to be honest.

Stubbs gets a word.
Whilst the Raith manager is about 10 yards out his box.
Crazy.

That's before we even begin to talk about the decisions that were being made.
The two fouls on Keatings.
One is ignored.
The second is given by the ref.
The linesman, who never flagged at all, says foul RAITH!
It was nuts.

Then you think the ref has gave a foul to Hibs.
He has given Raith a free kick ten yards away, outside the box. No one was near there. Never mind the ball.

He was mental

Totally agree. He took ineptitude to a whole new level yesterday, IMHO.

Borderhibbie76
25-10-2015, 11:26 AM
We had to enter the stand at the far right of the stand as the stewards were blocking all the other entries saying they were full . You'd be lucky if there was a hundred empty seats . If folk were paying £20 cash without receiving a ticket , I'd say the figure of just over 2000 would have been the ticket count .

GGTTH

From where I was Sat our stand looked near as dammit to full...pretty sure there was at least 2500 to 3000 of us there yesterday...think RR are mibbe at the fiddle

IrnBru22
25-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Anybody got photos from the game, maybe including the crowd?

https://instagram.com/p/9OwnxgEx4h/

Redford Raj
25-10-2015, 07:59 PM
https://instagram.com/p/9OwnxgEx4h/
As you can see from this photograph how did the Referee allow the game to start with both teams wearing similar strips.
The only difference was Hibs where wearing white socks.
His bottle green is very similar to the dark blue Raith were wearing.
The linesman on the south side was obviously confused as he kept giving Hibs offside when they were not.
For the Raith supporters it may have been the reason for not given them 3 penalties.
I think it confirms the standard of refereeing in this Division.:flag:

IanM
26-10-2015, 07:14 PM
@HibsNews1875: Lewis Stevenson went to hospital and wished Craig Wighton well after he was stretchered off against Hibs on Saturday. #HibsClass