PDA

View Full Version : What can we learn from rugby?

theonlywayisup
23-10-2015, 07:39 PM
I've really enjoyed the Rugby World Cup. Great entertainment! And I can't stop thinking that there is a lot football can learn from rugby. Such as:

Advantage Rule - in rugby, the ref can wait 30 secs before waiting for advantage to materialize. In football, the ref waves advantage but the player can immediately lose possession, so no advantage is gained. This is particularly frustrating when a free kick is not given around the box.

Trainers attending to 'injured' during the game - I'm sure that would automatically stop the players feigning injury.

Ball out of play, clock stops - would cut down the obvious time wasting.

TMO - for controversial decisions in key games, why not!

Refs with microphones - good to understand why he has made the decision he has made.

Respect - the ref is treated with respect, if you challenge it, the free kick is moved nearer your goal.

No wimps - no play acting, great to watch.

Thoughts.......

PatHead
23-10-2015, 07:43 PM
Not to use an egg shaped ball.

greenlex
23-10-2015, 07:48 PM
I've called for the Physio on whilst play goes on (for that very reason you mention) for a long time.

Brightside
23-10-2015, 07:50 PM
Nothing. Not one single thing. We could learn more from Sumo Wrestling.

theonlywayisup
23-10-2015, 07:55 PM
Nothing. Not one single thing. We could learn more from Sumo Wrestling.

Why is that?

Kojock
23-10-2015, 07:56 PM
Only thing I've learned is that rugby is played by people who don't have the skill or coordination to play football.

Billy Whizz
23-10-2015, 07:57 PM
I love the sinbin, think there is something in this that would work in football. Player might think twice about a challenge if he thought he was going off for 10/15 mins or so

Thecat23
23-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Only thing I've learned is that rugby is played by people who don't have the skill or coordination to play football.

Alex Harris was a good rugby player! Although far from great he can still play football.

Brightside
23-10-2015, 07:58 PM
Why is that?

Coz Rugby was invented by people who couldn't play football...they learn from us not the other way round. :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
23-10-2015, 08:00 PM
Coz Rugby was invented by people who couldn't play football...they learn from us not the other way round. :greengrin

What can rugby learn from football then?

Danderhall Hibs
23-10-2015, 08:01 PM

Not true in all cases.

Kojock
23-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Alex Harris was a good rugby player! Although far from great he can still play football.

Would be interesting to see what level at rugby he could have played compared to football.

Kojock
23-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Not true in all cases.

There's always exceptions to the rule.

Billy Whizz
Would be interesting to see what level at rugby he could have played compared to football.

What position did he play

B.H.F.C
I find the use of the advantage rule in rugby a bit bizarre. It can get pulled back about half an hour later.

If you tried to do something similar in football it would be a farce.

Kojock
23-10-2015, 08:03 PM

No idea, but I will hazard a guess it wasn't in the scrum.

theonlywayisup
23-10-2015, 08:05 PM

So........ are you happy to pay good money to watch a game that should last 90 minutes but the ball is actually only in play for 60 minutes as a result of all the time wasting etc.

Billy Whizz
23-10-2015, 08:06 PM
So........ are you happy to pay good money to watch a game that should last 90 minutes but the ball is actually only in play for 60 minutes as a result of all the time wasting etc.

I don't follow rugby, nor understand the rules, but is the ball in play for 80 mins. Do they stop the clock for kicks and line outs etc

J-C
23-10-2015, 08:07 PM

I played rugby at a fairly high level and played football for Edina Hibs, you don't know a lot about rugby do you ??

theonlywayisup
23-10-2015, 08:07 PM
I find the use of the advantage rule in rugby a bit bizarre. It can get pulled back about half an hour later.

30 minutes!!!! Doubt it!!

But say the ref allowed five seconds advantage rule, would you accept that?

eastterrace
23-10-2015, 08:09 PM

slight exaggeration , oh and football refs are a farce

J-C
I don't follow rugby, nor understand the rules, but is the ball in play for 80 mins. Do they stop the clock for kicks and line outs etc

The clock stops when the ball goes out or a review is taking place.

Danderhall Hibs
I've really enjoyed the Rugby World Cup. Great entertainment! And I can't stop thinking that there is a lot football can learn from rugby. Such as:

Advantage Rule - in rugby, the ref can wait 30 secs before waiting for advantage to materialize. In football, the ref waves advantage but the player can immediately lose possession, so no advantage is gained. This is particularly frustrating when a free kick is not given around the box.

Trainers attending to 'injured' during the game - I'm sure that would automatically stop the players feigning injury.

Refs with microphones - good to understand why he has made the decision he has made.

Respect - the ref is treated with respect, if you challenge it, the free kick is moved nearer your goal.

Thoughts.......

Some good suggestions in there - the advantage rule's a good one. Although sometimes I think the rugby advantage goes on too long, the football is definitely not long enough.

theonlywayisup
23-10-2015, 08:10 PM

They do, but I mean more due to injuries and substitutions.

Danderhall Hibs
23-10-2015, 08:11 PM
There's always exceptions to the rule.

Yip and as there's no rule...

I knew loads of guys that were decent footballers as well.

J-C

Depends on the infringement, but usually the ref will give you 4-5 passes before bringing it back, once you kick it you've lost advantage.

Danderhall Hibs

Think he was on the wing and he only played schoolboy rugby?

Danderhall Hibs
23-10-2015, 08:13 PM
Depends on the infringement, but usually the ref will give you 4-5 passes before bringing it back, once you kick it you've lost advantage.

Penalty advantage goes on for ages and then when it's kicked away you get the shot at goal.

If a knock on advantage you get much less time (normally when deemed to have crossed the gain line) and "lose" the advantage when you kick it away.

Kojock
23-10-2015, 08:14 PM
I played rugby at a fairly high level and played football for Edina Hibs, you don't know a lot about rugby do you ??

I rest my case. You couldn't make it at football but you could at rugby.

Danderhall Hibs
23-10-2015, 08:15 PM

Still ticks over when a goal kicker goes all Tourette's on us. A minute a pop generally means about 10 mins per match watching a guy "ticking" before booting the ball.

Danderhall Hibs
23-10-2015, 08:16 PM

If I ever need a lawyer I'll be sure to call.

I knew a few guys that were brilliant at football but crap at rugby.

B.H.F.C
23-10-2015, 08:16 PM

It would depend on the situation I suppose. The advantage is a player getting the ball. If they proceed to lose it then I don't see why it should be pulled back really. If a free kick would be more advantageous then it should be given in the first place.

Football is much quicker than rugby, it would be difficult to apply rules in the same manner because so much more can happen in 30 seconds.

Hibs Class
23-10-2015, 08:19 PM

It doesn't stop when the ball goes out. It stops when the Ref asks for it to be stopped, e.g, review, injury, .

weecounty hibby
23-10-2015, 08:22 PM
Your have to explain what you mean by made it. Ive played rugby as high as national league 2. Played county football for Clackmannan. I also have a load of medals from my U18 football days with Sauchie. I also played in two Scottish cup finals at welfare level. As you say I never "made it" but was pretty handy at both sports as are loads of rugby and footballers who have made it in their chosen sports.

Lago
23-10-2015, 08:22 PM
There is people playing football who don't have the skill or coordination to play football.

Stax
23-10-2015, 08:23 PM
When my son was at primary school I got a letter home from his teacher. They'd just done a rugby skills / introduction course with some guys from the SRU. Allegedly my son piped up "my Dad says rugby is for posh huddies that cannae play football".

My_Wife_Camille
23-10-2015, 08:24 PM
No play acting? I must have imagined the guy who used fake blood to fake an injury! How football still gets slagged off for faking injury after that is beyond me. Keep your rugby. A pish sport for people who don't like sport.

Danderhall Hibs
23-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Some closed minds on here eh?!

Billy Whizz
23-10-2015, 08:28 PM
Do they still name their teams in rugby a day before the match? Imagine you had to do this in football

SunshineOnLeith
23-10-2015, 08:29 PM

Thoughts.......

Advantage - completely different sports, football doesn't have 'phases' in the same way where you can obviously decide, also there's no 30 second limit.

Physio on the pitch during play - would leave a team with an injured player at a huge disadvantage, far more magnified than in rugby where the defence is essentially a line.

Ball out of play, clock stops - doesn't happen in rugby.

TMO - been discussed to death, personally I'm against it as don't think it translates to football

Ref mics - Not sure what this would possibly add. In rugby it's there so people can better understand the rules/reasons given for decisions but football doesn't have the same mystery or frequent dialogue between ref and player

Respect for refs - There's been campaigns to try and improve this for at least the last three years so it's a bit late to suggest we "learn it from rugby" now. Your statement is also wrong, challenging a decision doesn't result in him moving it, only if you overstep the line into dissent. In football, you get a yellow card for dissent.

No wimps - Far more physical sport in being played by bigger, stronger men shocker. Also, did you miss Stuart Hogg taking a dive?

Different sports are different. :aok:

Danderhall Hibs
23-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Do they still name their teams in rugby a day before the match? Imagine you had to do this in football

You can do and most teams normally do. I've never really understood why it's so secretive in football anyway.

Onceinawhile
23-10-2015, 08:30 PM
We could adopt different values for the same skill. So a penalty would be one point, but a normal goal 2.

Or not. Because that's stupid.

TMO for controversial decisions in big games?? Like incorrect penalty calls in a world cup quarter final? Pffft.

The shout for trainers tending to players on the pitch is good in theory, but football is far more end to end than rugby so probably wouldn't work.

greenlex
23-10-2015, 08:41 PM
Advantage - completely different sports, football doesn't have 'phases' in the same way where you can obviously decide, also there's no 30 second limit.

Physio on the pitch during play - would leave a team with an injured player at a huge disadvantage, far more magnified than in rugby where the defence is essentially a line.

TMO - been discussed to death, personally I'm against it as don't think it translates to football

Ref mics - Not sure what this would possibly add. In rugby it's there so people can better understand the rules/reasons given for decisions but football doesn't have the same mystery or frequent dialogue between ref and player

Respect for refs - There's been campaigns to try and improve this for at least the last three years so it's a bit late to suggest we "learn it from rugby" now. Your statement is also wrong, challenging a decision doesn't result in him moving it, only if you overstep the line into dissent. In football, you get a yellow card for dissent.

No wimps - Far more physical sport in being played by bigger, stronger men shocker. Also, did you miss Stuart Hogg taking a dive?

Different sports are different. :aok: The Physio point would stop players that are not actually injured from rolling around play acting and stopping the game. If you know your going to leave your team short you'll only be needing treatment if you actually need it.
Don't see any disadvantage in that. Far more positives.

Danderhall Hibs
23-10-2015, 08:45 PM
When my son was at primary school I got a letter home from his teacher. They'd just done a rugby skills / introduction course with some guys from the SRU. Allegedly my son piped up "my Dad says rugby is for posh huddies that cannae play football".

I wouldn't have thought a teacher would get involved about a parents ignorance?

B.H.F.C
23-10-2015, 08:52 PM
The Physio point would stop players that are not actually injured from rolling around play acting and stopping the game. If you know your going to leave your team short you'll only be needing treatment if you actually need it.

Except if the player was actually injured, getting treated, and playing everybody onside. Wouldn't work.

JimBHibees
23-10-2015, 08:52 PM
Respect for refs, lack of dissent, total physicality at the same time ss great skill. Great sport.

Danderhall Hibs
23-10-2015, 08:53 PM
Except if the player was actually injured, getting treated, and playing everybody onside. Wouldn't work.

He'd have to be classed as inactive? Got to be sensible about things.

J-C
23-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Penalty advantage goes on for ages and then when it's kicked away you get the shot at goal.

If a knock on advantage you get much less time (normally when deemed to have crossed the gain line) and "lose" the advantage when you kick it away.

I was going to say all that but couldn't be arsed :)

J-C
23-10-2015, 08:56 PM
It doesn't stop when the ball goes out. It stops when the Ref asks for it to be stopped, e.g, review, injury, .

Yep you're right, working and looking in when i get a minute, trying to make answers short.

PPZPOL
23-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Something that riles me in football is that a sub can't come onto or even put a foot onto pitch without 4th official putting hand up in front of him till subbed player comes right over. Would it make any difference whatsoever if they crossed over 10-15 yards on the park? Its comical, you watch next time a sub happens. Do you think we will somehow miss a player coming off the park? Overkill as per.

P.S. And players who are subbed walking off annoys me as well, I'm sure people used to actually run/jog off....but that's just a personal thing that annoys me :-)

J-C
23-10-2015, 08:58 PM

You have zero idea what level of football I played at, my high school had no football team, hence why I played rugby, which I found I was particularly good at.

theonlywayisup
23-10-2015, 08:59 PM

Different sports are different. :aok:

At last, someone with a proper response. I'm not saying we should do exactly what they are doing. Only asking what can we learn from rugby. If you honestly think that football can't learn, then that's ok.

Me, I'm truly sick of the time wasting and feigning injury that goes on. Whilst you've given some examples from rugby, be honest, it happens a lot less.

SunshineOnLeith
23-10-2015, 08:59 PM
The Physio point would stop players that are not actually injured from rolling around play acting and stopping the game. If you know your going to leave your team short you'll only be needing treatment if you actually need it.

At present:

Football - player goes down injured, physio comes on next time the ball goes out of play unless the ref considers it necessary to stop the game for the injured player's safety i.e. head knock or other serious injury. The injured player is required to leave the field with the physio and not re-enter play until given permission by the referee.

Rugby - player goes down injured, physio comes on immediately and the game stops the next time the ball goes out of play while he receives treatment, unless the ref considers it necessary to stop the game for the injured player's safety i.e. head knock or other serious injury. The injured player does not leave the field unless he is bleeding or requires a head injury assessment.

The rugby scenario is more open to abuse because football has the additional rule requiring the player to leave the field. Other than that there's no practical difference. Play continues until the next natural stoppage unless the ref deems it necessary.

Pretty Boy
23-10-2015, 09:03 PM
A bit more mutual respect between players and officials wouldn't go amiss.

Referees taking a few seconds to explain a decision and talking to players like adults rather than taking on the bearing of a 1940s schoolmaster. Players in turn respecting the decision and the explanation and getting on with the game.

theonlywayisup
23-10-2015, 09:06 PM
At present:

Football - player goes down injured, physio comes on next time the ball goes out of play unless the ref considers it necessary to stop the game for the injured player's safety i.e. head knock or other serious injury. The injured player is required to leave the field with the physio and not re-enter play until given permission by the referee.

Rugby - player goes down injured, physio comes on immediately and the game stops the next time the ball goes out of play while he receives treatment, unless the ref considers it necessary to stop the game for the injured player's safety i.e. head knock or other serious injury. The injured player does not leave the field unless he is bleeding or requires a head injury assessment.

The rugby scenario is more open to abuse because football has the additional rule requiring the player to leave the field. Other than that there's no practical difference. Play continues until the next natural stoppage unless the ref deems it necessary.

Mmmmm......reality check.

How many times do you see a player go down as if dead in a football match. The game is stopped. The trainer comes on, the player slowly walks off, quick wipe of the manic sponge, then makes a miracle recovery and comes back on after 10 secs.

In rugby, if a player needs a trainer, they generally need to go off and be substituted.

B.H.F.C
23-10-2015, 09:07 PM
He'd have to be classed as inactive? Got to be sensible about things.

Still don't think it works even if they are classed as inactive. What if it's in the middle of a box? In the centre circle or so on? Play moves about the pitch a lot quicker in football that they could get in the way of a loose ball, a pass, a shot, their team mates. Just wouldn't work for me.

Danderhall Hibs
23-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Still don't think it works even if they are classed as inactive. What if it's in the middle of a box? In the centre circle or so on? Play moves about the pitch a lot quicker in football that they could get in the way of a loose ball, a pass, a shot, their team mates. Just wouldn't work for me.

True but if the ball moves quickly just now and hits the ref play goes on.

jane_says
23-10-2015, 09:14 PM

:agree:

SunshineOnLeith
23-10-2015, 09:16 PM
Mmmmm......reality check.

How many times do you see a player go down as if dead in a football match. The game is stopped. The trainer comes on, the player slowly walks off, quick wipe of the manic sponge, then makes a miracle recovery and comes back on after 10 secs.

In rugby, if a player needs a trainer, they generally need to go off and be substituted.

Again, the game is only stopped if the referee considers it necessary. Exactly the same thing happens in rugby.

In any event, adopting the rugby approach wouldn't solve the problem.

The ball would get booted out of the park, stopping play, as happens at the moment. Or the opposition would play on - as happens at the moment, usually to the pantomime boos of the opposition fans. Then play would stop next time the ball went out, as happens at the moment.

In fact, it would make it worse, because the player feigning injury wouldn't have to leave the field.

Brightside
23-10-2015, 09:22 PM

Maybe there is a Hibsrugby.net somewhere?

Danderhall Hibs
23-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Again, the game is only stopped if the referee considers it necessary. Exactly the same thing happens in rugby.

In any event, adopting the rugby approach wouldn't solve the problem.

The ball would get booted out of the park, stopping play, as happens at the moment. Or the opposition would play on - as happens at the moment, usually to the pantomime boos of the opposition fans. Then play would stop next time the ball went out, as happens at the moment.

In fact, it would make it worse, because the player feigning injury wouldn't have to leave the field.

The player might not feign injury in the first place though? Generally it's done to waste time - if the physio can come on at any time it wouldn't add the value they're looking for.

B.H.F.C
23-10-2015, 09:24 PM
True but if the ball moves quickly just now and hits the ref play goes on.

Aye but you can't avoid having the ref on the park whilst play is ongoing.

I don't even think it's that big an issue, a physio isn't on the park that much despite the fact some folk will have you believe that football players roll about for 90 minutes. Don't think the physio of either team was on at all at Falkirk on Tuesday for instance.

JimBHibees
23-10-2015, 09:27 PM

Jeezo we get it you don't like rugby. The guy has put a valid point up that is IMO fair comment for discussion.

Danderhall Hibs
23-10-2015, 09:30 PM

Not interested in looking for it, I like what I like.

SunshineOnLeith
23-10-2015, 09:37 PM
The player might not feign injury in the first place though? Generally it's done to waste time - if the physio can come on at any time it wouldn't add the value they're looking for.

Why not?

Play is only stopped if the referee considers it necessary in both sports. Otherwise, play stops next time the ball goes out of play. In either sport, play does not restart until the physio is done.

Stax
23-10-2015, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't have thought a teacher would get involved about a parents ignorance?
I can assure you they did which I found pathetic. His ignorant parent still subscribes to the view that by its nature rugby is played by big physical chaps. You're surely not denying that in Scotland & England (unlike Wales) Union has traditionally never been the game of the working man?

Danderhall Hibs
23-10-2015, 09:43 PM
Why not?

Play is only stopped if the referee considers it necessary in both sports. Otherwise, play stops next time the ball goes out of play. In either sport, play does not restart until the physio is done.

I don't know what I'm missing here but in rugby the physio can come on treat a player and go back off without play being stopped at all?

JimBHibees
23-10-2015, 09:43 PM
I can assure you they did which I found pathetic. His ignorant parent still subscribes to the view that by its nature rugby is played by big physical chaps. You're surely not denying that in Scotland & England (unlike Wales) Union has traditionally never been the game of the working man?

Wrong very much working mans sport in the Borders.

Stax
23-10-2015, 09:47 PM
Wrong very much working mans sport in the Borders.
FairPlay.

SunshineOnLeith
23-10-2015, 09:54 PM
I don't know what I'm missing here but in rugby the physio can come on treat a player and go back off without play being stopped at all?

Yes, that can happen and often does. But if the ball goes out of play or there's a knock-on, penalty etc, they don't restart until he's done.

In football, the ball gets kicked out of play when there's a man down nine times out of ten. Of the other times, these are split between the ref stopping the game for the player's safety (as happens in rugby), or play continuing until the ball next goes out of play.

Danderhall Hibs
23-10-2015, 09:59 PM
Yes, that can happen and often does. But if the ball goes out of play or there's a knock-on, penalty etc, they don't restart until he's done.

In football, the ball gets kicked out of play when there's a man down nine times out of ten. Of the other times, these are split between the ref stopping the game for the player's safety (as happens in rugby), or play continuing until the ball next goes out of play.

I think that players go down so the ball gets kicked out of play and time gets wasted, if the player can be treated no one would have to roll it out of play.

Bishop Hibee
23-10-2015, 10:21 PM
We could have drink available at half time in the stadiums like they do.

Brightside
23-10-2015, 10:24 PM
Jeezo we get it you don't like rugby. The guy has put a valid point up that is IMO fair comment for discussion.

There is another sport section. Isn't that the point of it?

Danderhall Hibs
23-10-2015, 10:53 PM
There is another sport section. Isn't that the point of it?

You're deliberately missing the point - the thread's talking about football as well.

J-C
23-10-2015, 11:05 PM
I think that players go down so the ball gets kicked out of play and time gets wasted, if the player can be treated no one would have to roll it out of play.

Unless the player gets up, the ref will stop the game or someone will kick it out, they're too scared to carry on unless it turns out to be serious. I'm pretty sure back in the day, physios used to run on all the time to treat players, or am I just imagining that.

J-C
23-10-2015, 11:07 PM
I like the idea of sin bins and giving an extra 10 yards when someone argues or back chats.

Cropley10
24-10-2015, 12:24 AM
The one thing I'd like to see is football using the brilliant restart rule rugby use. For example when New Zealand score a try and a conversion the other team have to restart the game by giving the ball back to New Zealand, who then have possession so they can then look to attack the team who just kicked off, and if they score they get to do it again in a few minutes. The team who conceded the points immediately give away possession to the team who scored them: absolute genius.

Itsnoteasy
24-10-2015, 01:04 AM

Thoughts.......

You missed a bit.

Ref made a James Hunt o Scotland game. No explanation after that. Couldn't get off field quick enough. Football the ref is normally last to leave the field.

Itsnoteasy
24-10-2015, 01:08 AM
I like the idea of sin bins and giving an extra 10 yards when someone argues or back chats.

Thought that was the rules in football to. It's never been implemented

Scouse Hibee
24-10-2015, 01:11 AM
Respect for the ref

CapitalGreen
24-10-2015, 02:36 AM
Hakas

Steve20
24-10-2015, 03:08 AM
Nothing. Not a thing. I love Football and dislike Rugby but that's not the reason why I think Football should take nothing from Rugby. The reason is they are two different sports, so let them be.

Pete
24-10-2015, 03:30 AM
Nothing. Not a thing. I love Football and dislike Rugby but that's not the reason why I think Football should take nothing from Rugby. The reason is they are two different sports, so let them be.

They are indeed different but they are similar in lots of ways.

There is this instinct by some football fans to automatically dismiss everything about rugby and vice versa.

It's nothing more than snobbery/inverted snobbery and it's perfectly possible to appreciate both sports.

weecounty hibby
24-10-2015, 06:42 AM
You're surely not denying that in Scotland & England (unlike Wales) Union has traditionally never been the game of the working man?

Pop along to Alloa Rugby Club at some point and I'm sure you will come away with a different view.

Keith_M
24-10-2015, 07:32 AM
How about, after winning a trophy you go out in the p1ss with the opposition team and kick said trophy up and down Princes St, e.g. Scotland, England and the Calcutta Cup.

We should also introduce scru-ms, so those with a liking for fondling team mates' genitalia get the chance to fulfill their dreams.

Section 43 could adopt bawdy rugby songs about what they did to the figurehead of the 'Good Ship Venus' when they were bored.

We could allow one team to invent a 'traditional' aggresive dance, whose real purpose is to scare the Bejeezus out of the opposition, and force the other team to stand and watch it before the match.

We should lenghten the pitch to the same size as rugby, so that each goalpost is virtually in a different time zone and people behind the goals need high powered binoculars to even see the other end of the ground.

Newcastlehibby
24-10-2015, 07:41 AM
50000 fans cosuming alcohol, mixing with each other and not fighting. World Cup in Newcastle - 0 arrests.

J-C
24-10-2015, 08:07 AM
How about, after winning a trophy you go out in the p1ss with the opposition team and kick said trophy up and down Princes St, e.g. Scotland, England and the Calcutta Cup.

I'll give you Stuart McCall falling pissed off a car.

We should also introduce scru-ms, so those with a liking for fondling team mates' genitalia get the chance to fulfill their dreams.

So very homophobic it's laughable

Section 43 could adopt bawdy rugby songs about what they did to the figurehead of the 'Good Ship Venus' when they were bored.

We don't sing songs at football matches then?

We could allow one team to invent a 'traditional' aggresive dance, whose real purpose is to scare the Bejeezus out of the opposition, and force the other team to stand and watch it before the match.

It's called traditional history, we play the bagpipes and sign about hating England.

We should lenghten the pitch to the same size as rugby, so that each goalpost is virtually in a different time zone and people behind the goals need high powered binoculars to even see the other end of the ground.

You've never been to Murrayfield then, when we won 2007 cup I was miles away at the back at Hampden, don't get that at Murrayfield.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-10-2015, 08:22 AM

But Refs do play the advantage a lot of the time 95 minutes in the case of the OF...

Callum_62
24-10-2015, 08:38 AM
H

The All Blacks certainly didn't invent the haka.

weecounty hibby
24-10-2015, 08:51 AM

So much ignorance in one post. It would seem that there are an awful lot of football fans with a very blinkered view of other sports. I love both sports, they are both great games and a joy to watch and play.

Sammy7nil
24-10-2015, 09:09 AM
It would seem that there are an awful lot of football fans with a very blinkered view of other sports. I love both sports, they are both great games and a joy to watch and play.

Totally agree and if anything Rugby has come on leaps and bounds in the last six years football has stoodstill

McD
24-10-2015, 09:44 AM
So much ignorance in one post. It would seem that there are an awful lot of football fans with a very blinkered view of other sports. I love both sports, they are both great games and a joy to watch and play.

Excellently put :agree:

PercyHibs
24-10-2015, 09:58 AM

It's all hypothetical but imo Alex Harris wouldn't have the size, power and most importantly, the mental toughness to play rugby at a high level.

Lucius Apuleius
24-10-2015, 10:00 AM

:agree: I was crap at football but damned good at rugby. Never stopped me loving Hibs and rugby.

Keith_M
24-10-2015, 11:45 AM
whinge

You guys must be a riot at parties

:rolleyes:

heretoday
24-10-2015, 11:50 AM
I've noticed that at Murrayfield the crowd boo the opposition kickers as they attempt conversions. We wouldn't want that sort of behaviour creeping in at ER.

hibsbollah
24-10-2015, 11:59 AM
I've noticed that at Murrayfield the crowd boo the opposition kickers as they attempt conversions. We wouldn't want that sort of behaviour creeping in at ER.

:agree: there's also an awful lot of simulation in rugby. I was shocked by Hoggs dive in the opening round of fixtures, and it's a form of cheating that football needs to avoid.

Keith_M
24-10-2015, 12:00 PM

We even cheer the opposition supporters for actually turning up. How sporting is that!

:wink:

Eyrie
24-10-2015, 12:01 PM
Reading through this thread I've learnt that football fans who like rugby are tolerant and diverse whilst football fans who don't rely on blinkered stereotypes to support their prejudices.

Turing it round, what could rugby learn from football?

Kaff
24-10-2015, 12:02 PM
http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202139

Not a bad translation......

hibsbollah
24-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Reading through this thread I've learnt that football fans who like rugby are tolerant and diverse whilst football fans who don't rely on blinkered stereotypes to support their prejudices.

i think some us do that because we're sick of hearing tired old prejudices repeated to justify why Rugby is a superior sport played by superior people (football players dive and cheat, they moan and intimidate the ref, they're overpaid primadonnas, football fans are all violent drunken hooligans, rugby fans are friendly and just engage in 'high jinks' and 'banter'). I heard this more in pubs in England to be fair.

Danderhall Hibs
24-10-2015, 12:09 PM

Turing it round, what could rugby learn from football?

:agree: I asked that last night and have seen no sensible suggestions.

snooky
24-10-2015, 12:56 PM
Respect for refs, lack of dissent, total physicality at the same time ss great skill. Great sport.

Good point. Let's start next time CT is at ER. :stirrer:
Respect is a two-way street. These new breed of Refs are sadly unaware of that fact.

ano hibby
24-10-2015, 01:05 PM

Right with you on that. Played both. Love watching both & accept strengths & weaknesses of both. Both sports (probably all sports) can learn from each other.

NAE NOOKIE
24-10-2015, 01:09 PM
The one thing we could learn from rugby ( league ) is to have a timekeeper off the park who can keep an eye on time wasting and injuries and add on a realistic amount of 'injury' time. How often have we watched a game where one injury can last 3 or 4 minutes and you have had 3 subs and a couple of shorter injury breaks and you end up with 3 minutes added on at the end.

I like rugby, but even so the seemingly endless stoppages don't do it any favours .... it sometimes seems like everything is a foul, the rule book must come in 10 volumes.

My biggest problem with rugby and the reason it will never compete with football is a simple one: In football with the exception of 2 positions your size and height don't really matter .... In rugby, and especially in the modern era, height and/or bulk is a huge factor.

One move allowed in rugby is only going to add to that fact and that is the 'rolling maul' ..... You get 7 or 8 guys in front of the ball with the guy at the back holding on to it and push and push the other team back until you get over the try line. The defending team cant try to get the ball from the side because that puts them offside and they cant commit more players to the maul to compensate for any weight disadvantage because the attacking teams backs still need to be covered ... its a pure trial of strength that massively favours the biggest and heaviest team and as far as I can see involves no skill whatsoever apart from keeping the maul straight.

Danderhall Hibs
24-10-2015, 01:12 PM
The one thing we could learn from rugby ( league ) is to have a timekeeper off the park who can keep an eye on time wasting and injuries and add on a realistic amount of 'injury' time. How often have we watched a game where one injury can last 3 or 4 minutes and you have had 3 subs and a couple of shorter injury breaks and you end up with 3 minutes added on at the end.

I like rugby, but even so the seemingly endless stoppages don't do it any favours .... it sometimes seems like everything is a foul, the rule book must come in 10 volumes.

My biggest problem with rugby and the reason it will never compete with football is a simple one: In football with the exception of 2 positions your size and height don't really matter .... In rugby, and especially in the modern era, height and/or bulk is a huge factor ... one move allowed in rugby is only going to add to that fact and that is the 'rolling maul' ..... You get 7 or 8 guys in front of the ball with the guy at the back holding on to it and push and push the other team back until you get over the try line. The defending team cant try to get the ball from the side because that puts them offside ... its a pure trial of strength that massively favours the biggest and heaviest team and as far as I can see involves no skill whatsoever apart from keeping the maul straight.

To the untrained eye it could like that. It's quite a technical thing though. Same goes for stopping it.

Jones28
24-10-2015, 01:13 PM
Some of the comments on this thread are laughable, and show up people to carry prejudice of rugby probably brought forward from their school days!

I find it cringeworthy when players go down "injured" in a game of football, it's pathetic. So is 10 players surrounding the referee screaming and shouting at him. The referees have difficult jobs and get no help whatsoever from the players.

Players respecting the match officials, some variation of the TMO and stopping the clock when the ball goes out of play wouldn't be a disaster for football IMO

J-C
24-10-2015, 01:17 PM
You guys must be a riot at parties

:rolleyes:

Why are you making up quotes, I have never used the word " whinge " in any replies on this thread, I really do give up with some people on this site.

NAE NOOKIE
24-10-2015, 01:21 PM
To the untrained eye it could like that. It's quite a technical thing though. Same goes for stopping it.

That's as maybe DH .... but I don't think there's any doubt its a move favoured by the bigger sides .... as I recall England dominated the 6 nations for quite a while with the rolling maul at the core of their tactics.

SunshineOnLeith
24-10-2015, 01:29 PM
Some of the comments on this thread are laughable, and show up people to carry prejudice of rugby probably brought forward from their school days!

I find it cringeworthy when players go down "injured" in a game of football, it's pathetic. So is 10 players surrounding the referee screaming and shouting at him. The referees have difficult jobs and get no help whatsoever from the players.

Players respecting the match officials, some variation of the TMO and stopping the clock when the ball goes out of play wouldn't be a disaster for football IMO

The clock doesn't stop when the ball goes out of play in rugby.

LancashireHibby
25-10-2015, 10:26 AM
The one thing we could learn from rugby ( league ) is to have a timekeeper off the park who can keep an eye on time wasting and injuries and add on a realistic amount of 'injury' time. How often have we watched a game where one injury can last 3 or 4 minutes and you have had 3 subs and a couple of shorter injury breaks and you end up with 3 minutes added on.
Spot on with that one, and one I completely agree with.

The clock doesn't necessarily have to stop every time the ball goes out for a throw in etc, but just when it takes a while to get the ball back, or more specifically one of my pet hates when goalkeepers move the ball to the other side for goal kicks to waste time. Maybe set a limit of 20 seconds and then the ref stops the clock. Similarly stop the clock for substitutions and any injuries that need to be treated. Basically do away with the whole notion of added time and blow for full time as it hits 90 minutes.

HH81
25-10-2015, 10:37 AM
Spot on with that one, and one I completely agree with.

The clock doesn't necessarily have to stop every time the ball goes out for a throw in etc, but just when it takes a while to get the ball back, or more specifically one of my pet hates when goalkeepers move the ball to the other side for goal kicks to waste time. Maybe set a limit of 20 seconds and then the ref stops the clock. Similarly stop the clock for substitutions and any injuries that need to be treated. Basically do away with the whole notion of added time and blow for full time as it hits 90 minutes.

Good post Matt. The only thing with it is tv will not know what the official time left is so doubt they would allow this. Tv fans and all that.

Was in Leigh yesterday mate no way there was 8000 there though.

Golden Bear
25-10-2015, 11:07 AM
Right with you on that. Played both. Love watching both & accept strengths & weaknesses of both. Both sports (probably all sports) can learn from each other.

:agree:

givescotlandfreedom
25-10-2015, 11:36 AM
I keep reading about respecting referees. I thought the witch hunt on the referee of the Scotland rugby game was way over the top.

Phil MaGlass
25-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Been following the rugby closely the last few weeks and although it is the world cup it has been more entertaining than almost any fitba game I have seen in the same period. Referee is respected, players dont get away at greetin to the ref. Guys with dislocated shoulders and serious injury getting up and walking off the pitch or gettin up and gettin on with the game as it should be, pretty refreshing stuff. f.

Keith_M
25-10-2015, 12:56 PM
Why are you making up quotes, I have never used the word " whinge " in any replies on this thread, I really do give up with some people on this site.

I tried to summarize your reply in one word.

I wasn't really sure how to suggest you lacked a sense of humour and took my post far too seriously so I went with sarcasm instead.

J-C
25-10-2015, 01:30 PM
I tried to summarize your reply in one word.

I wasn't really sure how to suggest you lacked a sense of humour and took my post far too seriously so I went with sarcasm instead.

This thread wasn't about having a sense of humour, we were discussing what each sport could learn from each other, where was the sense of humour meant to be???

Next time you quote me, use my words and not just something you made up, things like that leave me with no sense of humour as you've just lied. :aok:

J-C
25-10-2015, 01:32 PM
I keep reading about respecting referees. I thought the witch hunt on the referee of the Scotland rugby game was way over the top.

Like our friend Thomson he has a history of dodgy refereeing in big world cup games.

Spike Mandela
25-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Football is the best sport in the world and doesn't need to learn anything from any sport including rugby.

Ok, all sports decisions could benefit from tv evidence and time wasting is annoying but the instant decisions and constant flow of a football match can't be beat imo and is head and shoulders above Rugby as a viewing spectacle.

Respecting refs is a mock issue. The referess decision is final in both sports and if passions are enflamed more in a football match, so what, that is why we all love this game.

emerald green
25-10-2015, 02:56 PM
Surely the introduction of a TMO for high profile fixtures to help referees make correct decisions can only be a step in the right direction?

I know it's not practical to have a TMO at every game in every league. I'm thinking maybe cup semi-finals and finals. League play-off matches, and high profile local derbies say.

Nothing's ever going to be perfect, but why not use the technology that's now available to at least try to cut down on all the nonsense we've seen already this season (and for umpteen seasons previously) from match officials.

Before anyone says a TMO didn't stop the refereeing error that cost Scotland the match in the rugby last weekend, that's because the existing rules didn't allow the incident to be referred to the TMO. That's something I think is going to be looked at by the rugby authorities.

The TMO rules could be set accordingly, and adapted to cover football matches. A trial period could be set, and if there are found to be flaws, then change things until it works better. What we've got right now isn't working. That's for sure.

LancashireHibby
25-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Good post Matt. The only thing with it is tv will not know what the official time left is so doubt they would allow this. Tv fans and all that.

Was in Leigh yesterday mate no way there was 8000 there though.
TV would be the same as Super League and just stops on screen whenever the referee signals time off.

8,000 tickets were sold btw but seems not all of them turned up, presumably comps etc.

Alfred E Newman
25-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Surely the introduction of a TMO for high profile fixtures to help referees make correct decisions can only be a step in the right direction?

I know it's not practical to have a TMO at every game in every league. I'm thinking maybe cup semi-finals and finals. League play-off matches, and high profile local derbies say.

Nothing's ever going to be perfect, but why not use the technology that's now available to at least try to cut down on all the nonsense we've seen already this season (and for umpteen seasons previously) from match officials.

Before anyone says a TMO didn't stop the refereeing error that cost Scotland the match in the rugby last weekend, that's because the existing rules didn't allow the incident to be referred to the TMO. That's something I think is going to be looked at by the rugby authorities.

The TMO rules could be set accordingly, and adapted to cover football matches. A trial period could be set, and if there are found to be flaws, then change things until it works better. What we've got right now isn't working. That's for sure.

I would be for goal line technology but not the TMO. If I have any gripe with international rugby it's the way that the referee is now centre of attention . Could you just imagine Craig Thomson or Willie Collum if they got their hands on that stuff. We would be lucky to get out the ground by 6 o clock on a Saturday. I know mistakes are made but I actually like the controversy and actually some of the most entertaining games for me are when the ref loses the plot completely.

Keith_M
25-10-2015, 03:30 PM
This thread wasn't about having a sense of humour, we were discussing what each sport could learn from each other, where was the sense of humour meant to be???

Next time you quote me, use my words and not just something you made up, things like that leave me with no sense of humour as you've just lied. :aok:

My post was light hearted and in no way intended to be taken seriously. You, and others that replied, appear to be rather sensitive souls and overly defensive.

Does that clear it up?

p.s. To answer the OP's question: I'd like to see dissent dealt with in a similar way to Rugby, e.g. moving a free-kick ten yards down the pitch.

leithsansiro
26-10-2015, 05:38 PM

Aye, you're having a laugh, right? Have you actually ever watched rugby? Don't talk such utter rubbish.