PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Raith tomorrow?

CallumLaidlaw
23-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Interesting game tomorrow. We're showing that we can play good football as well as grind out results when required. A win would really set up the Rangers game next week.

Raith are no mugs tho. Currently just 1pt behind us, and at Starks park this season, their record is Played 7, Won 7, which includes wins against Hamilton, QOS and Morton.

I think it could be very similar to Tuesday night, but as long as the outcome is the same, I'll be satisfied.

I'm gonna go for 2-1 Hibs.

Sir David Gray
23-10-2015, 11:06 AM
I'm confident we can win tomorrow, it won't be an easy match but we're getting into our stride now and we're looking pretty good at the back as well.

2-0 Hibs.

Brightside
23-10-2015, 11:07 AM
Interesting game tomorrow. We're showing that we can play good football as well as grind out results when required. A win would really set up the Rangers game next week.

Raith are no mugs tho. Currently just 1pt behind us, and at Starks park this season, their record is Played 7, Won 7, which includes wins against Hamilton, QOS and Morton.

I think it could be very similar to Tuesday night, but as long as the outcome is the same, I'll be satisfied.

I'm gonna go for 2-1 Hibs.

Would like to see 4132

Ox
Gray Hanlon Fonts Stevenson
Bartley

Dylan McGinn Henderson

Dom JC

bigwheel
23-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Another defining game for us - they've conceded 1 goal at home all season, and are picking up points in almost every game - so will be a big test. Didn't think they were up to much at ER, but they will have plenty of confidence.

I'm going for a 2-1 victory.

Spike Mandela
23-10-2015, 11:10 AM
A real tough game which is going to be hard to win but would put a wee bit pressure on Rangers if were to win.

The same of course could be said for Raith.:cb

PatHead
23-10-2015, 11:11 AM
I was speaking to a Raith Rovers Director today who told me that whenever they get a big home support they usually screw things up. Their support started at about 800 this season and has grown to 1200 at the last home game. They expect 2000 tomorrow.

The last time this happened they got humped 4-0 by Cowdenbeath and the crowds dropped immediately.

Lets hope it happens tomorrow but I will accept a win of any score.

Hope Farid gets a chance to come on as well.

Greencore
23-10-2015, 11:12 AM
Tough match, 2-0 hibs. Cummings and Bartley.

bigwheel
23-10-2015, 11:13 AM
I was speaking to a Raith Rovers Director today who told me that whenever they get a big home support they usually screw things up. Their support started at about 800 this season and has grown to 1200 at the last home game. They expect 2000 tomorrow.

The last time this happened they got humped 4-0 by Cowdenbeath and the crowds dropped immediately.

I can think of another team with that trait .... :rolleyes:

CallumLaidlaw
23-10-2015, 11:14 AM

They don't need to worry - we usually do the same thing :wink:

Should be a good crowd tho with around 3,000 Hibs fans expected too.

PatHead
23-10-2015, 11:16 AM

Thought that as well but think things are different this time.

PatHead
23-10-2015, 11:17 AM
They don't need to worry - we usually do the same thing :wink:

Should be a good crowd tho with around 3,000 Hibs fans expected too.

Amazing that over a third of our core support will be there tomorrow.

Hope we manage to get a good crowd next week.

B.H.F.C
23-10-2015, 11:19 AM
Just need to win the game. If we do then, for the first time this year, Rangers might just feel a bit more pressure going in to their game on Sumday.

Might be more of what we saw at Falkirk the other night with them lumping it up to Daly.

scoopyboy
23-10-2015, 11:24 AM
I really want to win this one tomorrow.

If we do it means that next Sunday's match should be a cracker in front of a big crowd.

If we don't win tomorrow then next Sunday could be a damp squib.

It's crazy IMO but a Hibs win tomorrow could put thousands on the gate for the Cream Buns.

CallumLaidlaw
23-10-2015, 11:26 AM
Good preview on the Raith Rovers site -

Match Preview:

Stark’s Park plays host to the biggest match in the Championship this Saturday, as third place Raith Rovers tackle second-top Hibernian.

Allan Stubs’ side leapfrogged Rovers after a 1-0 midweek win over Falkirk, sealed by a first-half penalty, scored by Jason Cummings. It was a result which sustained Hibs fantastic run of form, a sequence of results which sees them unbeaten in their last nine games in all competitions, with their last defeat a 1-0 loss to Rangers, back in August.

However, Ray McKinnon’s men are in fine fettle themselves, with last week’s victory at the Indodrill Stadium, their fifth league win in succession. They also boast a 100% home record, conceding just one goal in the process, the fewest in all four divisions in Scotland.

The earlier meeting between the two teams this season saw Raith lose by two goals to nil at the tail end of August, after goals from James Keatings and Jason Cummings. It sustained James Keatings excellent scoring record against the Kirkcaldy side, with the Hibs forward now amassing eight goals against Raith in just two and a quarter seasons, for Hamilton, Hearts and now Hibs.

Hibs only win against Rovers last season came at Stark’s Park, with a 3-1 win in December. Barrie McKay put the home side ahead five minutes before half-time, but the two sides still went in level, as Jason Cummings equalised a few moments later. Liam Fontaine and Dominique Malonga sealed the win in the second period.

However, Rovers turned the tables in the second meeting at Stark’s Park, after an excellent 2-1 victory in March. Mark Stewart put Rovers into the lead early in the second-half, but once again, the lead only lasted a few minutes, with Fraser Fyvie restoring parity almost immediately. However, Raith wouldn’t be denied, after good work by Christian Nade, who supplied the cross for Lewis Vaughan to grab the late winner.

Rovers had a fine record against Hibernian last season, but the most recent head-to-head record would suggest that’s the exception rather than the norm. In the last ten league fixtures between the two clubs, Rovers have just one win and three draws compared to Hibernian’s six victories.

Saturday’s match referee will be George Salmond.

Head-to-Head League Record at Stark’s Park:

Raith Rovers Wins: 18 | Hibernian Wins: 19 | Draws: 10

Raith Rovers Goals: 67 | Hibernian Goals: 77

Current Form:

Raith Rovers: W-W-L-W-W-W

Hibernian: W-W-D-W-W-W

Top Goal-scorers:

Raith Rovers: Kyle Benedictus 3 | Mark Stewart 3

Hibernian: Jason Cummings 9 | Liam Henderson 3 | Dominique Malonga 3

Match Odds:

Raith Rovers: 19/5 | Hibernian: 7/10 | Draw: 29/10

flash
23-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Be delighted with a win as this will be tough. Raith are flying just now and it will be a proper battle.
We need our defence to keep up their excellent form and hopefully the strikers will get the job done.

--------
23-10-2015, 11:42 AM
Must-win match.

Expect the referee to be a real homer, probably wearing a blue shirt under his SFA top.

Strip- and cavity-searches at all the away turnstiles. :wink:

Too close to call.

Thecat23
23-10-2015, 11:49 AM
1-3

Thecat23
23-10-2015, 11:51 AM

If we do it means that next Sunday's match should be a cracker in front of a big crowd.

It's crazy IMO but a Hibs win tomorrow could put thousands on the gate for the Cream Buns.

Said the very same thing to my mate. A win would see a good crowd next week yet a loss could see a few chuck it!

Billy Whizz
23-10-2015, 12:06 PM
Be interesting to see who he picks as his centre halfs. McGregor did well on Tuesday, and we need someone to match Jon Daly

Brightside
23-10-2015, 12:14 PM
Be interesting to see who he picks as his centre halfs. McGregor did well on Tuesday, and we need someone to match Jon Daly

Did Jon Daly get a touch of the ball at Easter Rd? I remember thinking the same as you prior to that game but im sure he never got a touch?

B.H.F.C
23-10-2015, 12:21 PM

If it's a two then it would be Fontaine and Hanlon for me. McGregor has been decent cover but I don't think he's better than those two

bigwheel
23-10-2015, 12:28 PM
Did Jon Daly get a touch of the ball at Easter Rd? I remember thinking the same as you prior to that game but im sure he never got a touch?

yes he did...had a couple of (weakish) headed attempts on goal as well..

Anyway, he will be match fit now, and always seems a handle to play against...one for us to watch

portyhibernian
23-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Difficult game but looking forward to it. Should take a good crowd through. 4-0 Hibs.

CallumLaidlaw
23-10-2015, 12:54 PM
yes he did...had a couple of (weakish) headed attempts on goal as well..

Anyway, he will be match fit now, and always seems a handle to play against...one for us to watch

He had literally just signed for them that week. He will be in better shape now and was very good against St Mirren recently. Will need to be dealt with closely.

Edson Arantes
23-10-2015, 01:05 PM
2-0 to us.

Alex Trager
23-10-2015, 01:07 PM
Difficult game but looking forward to it. Should take a good crowd through. 4-0 Hibs.

What an oxymoron that statement is.

If we could get a four nil result in all our difficult games I'd love to see what our easy games could end up like.

Hibees

AlbertK86
23-10-2015, 01:07 PM
Would like to see 4132 Ox Gray Hanlon Fonts Stevenson Bartley Dylan McGinn Henderson Dom JC

Agree with this team.

Would love to fit Keatings in but think Henderson will track back a bit better and will be desperate to prove himself after being benched midweek

2-0 Hibs

bigwheel
23-10-2015, 01:08 PM

has there ever been a post that sums up Hibs fans better than this?? :-) :thumbsup:

TheFamous1875
23-10-2015, 01:16 PM
If it's a two then it would be Fontaine and Hanlon for me. McGregor has been decent cover but I don't think he's better than those two

Surely McGregor's the most suited to go up against John Daly? McGregor will know John Daly's game and will have the brawn to show him who's boss. I'd pick McGregor and Hanlon, personally. McGregor with his strength to nullify Daly and Hanlon's football know how to help us win the match.

Forza Fred
23-10-2015, 01:38 PM
A real tough game which is going to be hard to win but would put a wee bit pressure on Rangers if were to win.

The same of course could be said for Raith.:cb

I know things change, but I guess I am still coming to terms with the thought that a game against Raith Rovers is more or less a very close encounter that could have a major impact on our season.

I know Raith were once(about the early 60's) considered by some as our bogey team, but certainly from my memories of the Turnbull Tornadoes time, Raith were considered to be so far down the footballing food chain compared to us, that any game against us was viewed more or less as a certaintity!

As I say, how times change, and now we meet in defining moment.

Who'd have thunk it?

Tom Hart RIP
23-10-2015, 01:55 PM
I know a guy who is a big RR fan. Goes home and away. He can't believe how high up the league they are. Seems they have been lucky in several games.
I think we will win comfortably.

Edson Arantes
23-10-2015, 01:56 PM

Difficult game but we'll win 4-0?

Onceinawhile
23-10-2015, 02:27 PM
Keatings has to start, his record v Raith is very impressive.

The I'd probably play the team that beat Dumbarton but with Bartley in for henderson.

Ricky Bobby
23-10-2015, 02:53 PM

Agree with this. Any win will do tomorrow and hopefully will swell the gate for next weeks game.

Brightside
23-10-2015, 03:13 PM
I know a guy who is a big RR fan. Goes home and away. He can't believe how high up the league they are. Seems they have been lucky in several games.

I agree 0-3

worcesterhibby
23-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Quietly confident about this one..Raith will attack leaving some space for us to utilise. 1-3 Hibs

GreenCastle
23-10-2015, 03:22 PM
Scott Robertson to play also..imagine he will get a good reception.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/scott-robertson-relishing-raith-s-clash-with-hibs-1-3923838

Will be a tough game but we should be getting the 3 points :agree:

Hopefully a large Hibs turnout on both sides of the ground :aok:

007 Mickey Weir
23-10-2015, 03:37 PM
Ox
Gray McGregor Fonts Stevenson

Henderson Fyvie MCGinn

Keatings

Dom JC

Would be my team.

BSEJVT
23-10-2015, 04:18 PM
I know things change, but I guess I am still coming to terms with the thought that a game against Raith Rovers is more or less a very close encounter that could have a major impact on our season.

I know Raith were once(about the early 60's) considered by some as our bogey team, but certainly from my memories of the Turnbull Tornadoes time, Raith were considered to be so far down the footballing food chain compared to us, that any game against us was viewed more or less as a certaintity!

As I say, how times change, and now we meet in defining moment.

Who'd have thunk it?

Probably wrong, but do I remember a game there in the 70's with Roddy McKenzie in goal for us wearing boots with green on them (unheard of at the time)?

I think the score may have been 4-1 but cant really remember if it was to us or them?

Alternately it could all be total bollocks as I have wracked my brain and cant get it any clearer than that :-)

bigwheel
23-10-2015, 04:37 PM
Probably wrong, but do I remember a game there in the 70's with Roddy McKenzie in goal for us wearing boots with green on them (unheard of at the time)?

I think the score may have been 4-1 but cant really remember if it was to us or them?

Alternately it could all be total bollocks as I have wracked my brain and cant get it any clearer than that :-)

must have been someone other than Raith - we didn't play them (at least competitively) from 1970 until 80/81 season...(just had a search for the game)

Ronniekirk
23-10-2015, 04:48 PM
Haven't checked the weather but if it's a drieght windy day in Fife then it may have to be another backs to the wall effort where one goal decides it Think there will be goals tomorrow and hope we edge them out 2. 1 Malonga and Keatings to score

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-10-2015, 05:24 PM
If we start the game properly and get a quick tempo to our game I can see us getting the three points. Would like to see us start to get games wrapped up by half time.

Borderhibbie76
23-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Ox
Gray McGregor Fonts Stevenson

Henderson Fyvie MCGinn

Keatings

Dom JC

Would be my team.
No Hanlon or Mcgeoch. ..not for me mate.

No coincidence we were shaky at the back last Sat without Hanlon in there and for me Mcgeouch and his energy and drive are a must in the midfield

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
23-10-2015, 05:29 PM
Certainly going by the match at ER they were very poor that day and got pumped at Ibrox too...I'm equally surprised they are where they are at present. Hope the gulf in class shows again 2moro

Hermit Crab
23-10-2015, 05:36 PM
Must win, a six pointer in my opinion. puts a bit of pressure on TR's if we win and puts 4 points between us and RR. Lose tomorrow and Wednesdays win means nothing if TR's win on Sunday.

bigwheel
23-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Must win, a six pointer in my opinion. puts a bit of pressure on TR's if we win and puts 4 points between us and RR. Lose tomorrow and Wednesdays win means nothing if TR's win on Sunday.

can;t disagree with this..(although its 5 points)....tbh because of our poorish start, and TR's 100% win rate - every game from now on will be a must win - that's the position we will have to deal with

BSEJVT
23-10-2015, 06:07 PM
must have been someone other than Raith - we didn't play them (at least competitively) from 1970 until 80/81 season...(just had a search for the game)

Mmmn I see he was with Hibs 1973 -75 from Wikipedia and played 7 times

I wonder where it was or if I just totally made it up :-)

bigwheel
23-10-2015, 06:16 PM

it wasn't Roy Baines was it 1970...??

Jonnyboy
23-10-2015, 06:22 PM

Probably Dumbarton away. I recall the game and he was absolutely honking :greengrin

Here's his extensive playing record with Hibs first team

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_games.php?playerid=6221

007 Mickey Weir
23-10-2015, 07:41 PM
Thought McGeouch and Hanlon were average on Tue night. Henderson made a difference when he came on so he gets my nod. I like McGregor and think Fontaine is better than Hanlon.

But a good problem to have at the moment

QUOTE=Borderhibbie76;4487248]No Hanlon or Mcgeoch. ..not for me mate.

No coincidence we were shaky at the back last Sat without Hanlon in there and for me Mcgeouch and his energy and drive are a must in the midfield

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

lord bunberry
23-10-2015, 07:42 PM
For some reason I was more worried about Falkirk on Tuesday than I am about tomorrow. I expect us to turn up tomorrow and roll them over. They were terrible in the game at Easter Road and we're better now. We need to win every game at the moment if we want to win the league, to be champions we must think like champions.

JimBHibees
23-10-2015, 09:00 PM
Think a comfortable win thought they were bang average at ER.

danhibees1875
23-10-2015, 09:30 PM
King Dom of fife. Name speaks for itself. Hat trick for the big man tomorrow.

FranckSuzy
23-10-2015, 09:31 PM
King Dom of fife. Name speaks for itself. Hat trick for the big man tomorrow.

:thumbsup:

Forza Fred
23-10-2015, 10:59 PM

Not sure about this

I can distinctly recall being at Easter Road when returning Hibee hero Joe Baker scored 2 goals for Raith in a 3-2 Hibs victory.

Hibs support actually cheered Joe's goals!

Pretty sure it wasn't a friendly,so should be a record somewhere, and pretty sure also some old fart other than me on this forum will recall it.

Any takers?

matty_f
23-10-2015, 11:09 PM
Biggest game of the season so far imho.

A win is an absolute must, i think we'll have our work cut out as Raith are in almost as good form as we are, but we should have enough about us to get the points.

Forza Fred
23-10-2015, 11:34 PM
Not sure about this

I can distinctly recall being at Easter Road when returning Hibee hero Joe Baker scored 2 goals for Raith in a 3-2 Hibs victory.

Hibs support actually cheered Joe's goals!

Pretty sure it wasn't a friendly,so should be a record somewhere, and pretty sure also some old fart other than me on this forum will recall it.

Any takers?

"Distinctly" needs to be qualified!

Research indicates Joe scored 1 not two, with Des Bremner getting an o.g. for the second.

Turns out it was in the first leg of the League Cup quarter final, played in midweek just after we got grubbed by Hertz 4-1 at Tynecastle the Saturday before.

And I remember that one distinctly too!

Forza Fred
23-10-2015, 11:43 PM
"Distinctly" needs to be qualified!

Research indicates Joe scored 1 not two, with Des Bremner getting an o.g. for the second.

Turns out it was in the first leg of the League Cup quarter final, played in midweek just after we got grubbed by Hertz 4-1 at Tynecastle the Saturday before.

And I remember that one distinctly too!

Should have added the Raith game was on 12 September 1973:agree:

givescotlandfreedom
23-10-2015, 11:47 PM
Raith are a good side but I think we're a goal or two better. Well I hope we are...

Forza Fred
23-10-2015, 11:52 PM
Raith are a good side but I think we're a goal or two better. Well I hope we are...

Dunno why, but just got the feeling that THIS is the game when it all clicks and we put several past Raith for a resounding victory!

erin go bragh
24-10-2015, 04:09 AM

Totally agree Scoops . I think Raith will be more open unlike Falkirk , which I think will suit us . A big noisy Hibs support willing us to a 3-1 victory . Pleez

GGTTH

scoopyboy
24-10-2015, 06:59 AM
Thought McGeouch and Hanlon were average on Tue night. Henderson made a difference when he came on so he gets my nod. I like McGregor and think Fontaine is better than Hanlon.

But a good problem to have at the moment

QUOTE=Borderhibbie76;4487248]No Hanlon or Mcgeoch. ..not for me mate.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

All about opinions guv.

I thought the whole defence were good.

I thought Henderson was poor when he came on and gave possession away a couple of times in really dangerous positions.

I think Hanlon is better than Fontaine and is AS first pick in central defence.

Hanlon and McGeouch will be playing before Henderson and Fontaine IMO although it's possible all four will play.

The one thing we do agree on is that it's a good problem to have.

BSEJVT
24-10-2015, 07:39 AM
Probably Dumbarton away. I recall the game and he was absolutely honking :greengrin

Here's his extensive playing record with Hibs first team

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_games.php?playerid=6221

Thanks Jonnyboy

I have clearly gotten the 2 games mixed up as I see he did also play v Raith in away in a League Cup Tie.

I remember him being absolutely honking too!

ps any news on publication of book 3?

greenlex
24-10-2015, 08:06 AM
Have to win to have any chance of being Champions. We are good enough. Draw isn't a disaster in the bigger picture. I'll settle for a clean sheet and take it from there.

xyz23jc
24-10-2015, 08:11 AM

Exactly what I was thinking!:greengrin Any win will do! GGTTHhttp://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

Borderhibbie76
24-10-2015, 08:43 AM
All about opinions guv.

I thought the whole defence were good.

I thought Henderson was poor when he came on and gave possession away a couple of times in really dangerous positions.

I think Hanlon is better than Fontaine and is AS first pick in central defence.

Hanlon and McGeouch will be playing before Henderson and Fontaine IMO although it's possible all four will play.

The one thing we do agree on is that it's a good problem to have.[/QUOTE]
I agree with you Scoops, thought Hendo was poor when he came on, gave possession away cheaply and struggled to get into pace of match. However we r all agreed it's an excellent dilemma to have...think most of our bench on Tues night would walk into most premiership starting 11s (except the top 2 or 3) never mind the Championship 😊