PDA

View Full Version : 40 years ago yesterday

Tom Hart RIP
19-10-2015, 06:34 PM
Bit in the Sunday Post about Bobby Davidson abandoning game at Parkhead with us 2-0 up and five mins to go. I had forgotten that as always happened in those days, the game had been held up by Celtic fans invading the pitch whenever they were getting beat. Also Davidson spent five mins debating whether to abandon game.
There a photo of Sloop being held back from discussing the decision. Can't believe it was 40 years ago.
Ps the goals came from Des Bremner and Joe Harper

eastterrace
19-10-2015, 06:40 PM
Bit in the Sunday Post about Bobby Davidson abandoning game at Parkhead with us 2-0 up and five mins to go. I had forgotten that as always happened in those days, the game had been held up by Celtic fans invading the pitch whenever they were getting beat. Also Davidson spent five mins debating whether to abandon game.
There a photo of Sloop being held back from discussing the decision. Can't believe it was 40 years ago.

mind it well , sure wee mickey edwards gave the v sign to the jungle when the game got abandoned . also the fog cleared about 1/2 hour later. think when it was eventually replayed it ended 1-1

Pretty Boy
19-10-2015, 06:49 PM
I'm sure I've seen footage of a Hibs v Celtic game, think it was at ER, where Celtic fans were invading the pitch and big Jock Stein went marching up to them from the dug out going nuts at them telling them to get back on the terrace.

Golden Bear
19-10-2015, 06:50 PM
I remember that game well. One of my mates was convinced that the fog was in fact smoke caused by thousands of Celtic fans outside the ground. He accused them of burning leaves then wafting the smoke back into the stadium!! That was the real reason. the game was abandoned !!

BSEJVT
19-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Was it Erich Schaedler that scored for Hibs in the 1-1 game

I am sure I was there but old age doesn't come itself

snedzuk
19-10-2015, 07:00 PM
Was it Erich Schaedler that scored for Hibs in the 1-1 game

I am sure I was there but old age doesn't come itself

It certainly was and I remember going 'radge' when we were cheated out of the first game victory.

greenginger
19-10-2015, 07:02 PM
In his match report Davidson simply wrote that the match was abandoned because of poor visibility, no mention of the pitch invasion at all .

Hibbyradge
19-10-2015, 07:04 PM

That's just made me feel so old!

40 years? Really? http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/sad/super-sad.gif

Tom Hart RIP
19-10-2015, 07:10 PM
I remember them invading the pitch when we were 3-0 up in the Dryburgh Cup final as well.
It seemed to be accepted as the norm and they were never punished for it.

Tom Hart RIP
19-10-2015, 07:12 PM
For younger readers that was a time when we were genuine title challengers.

Bostonhibby
19-10-2015, 07:14 PM
mind it well , sure wee mickey edwards gave the v sign to the jungle when the game got abandoned . also the fog cleared about 1/2 hour later. think when it was eventually replayed it ended 1-1

:agree:Was at the replay, pretty sure Shades scored for us (?) First game being abandoned for the reasons given were controversial at the time, Davidson probably had somewhere to go, and with Hibs being comfortably in front that was good enough for him. He was the Craig Thomson of that era.

Bostonhibby
19-10-2015, 07:15 PM
In his match report Davidson simply wrote that the match was abandoned because of poor visibility, no mention of the pitch invasion at all .

Aye, he couldn't see the pitch invasion.

Golden Bear
19-10-2015, 07:15 PM
For younger readers that was a time when we were genuine title challengers.

Happy days indeed. I'd like to think that we'll see that quality of football again but somehow I doubt it.

Tom Hart RIP
19-10-2015, 07:26 PM
Correct me if my memory is playing tricks but I'm sure he was ref when Rangers beat us in a cup replay with the worst penalty decision I've ever seen.
What made it worse was the winners were at home to Airdrie and he was on the board or at least had links to the club.
Considering Rangers were an inferior team with an enormous support it was obvious who Airdrie fans wanted to win.

Stantons Angel
19-10-2015, 08:46 PM
I remember that game well. One of my mates was convinced that the fog was in fact smoke caused by thousands of Celtic fans outside the ground. He accused them of burning leaves then wafting the smoke back into the stadium!! That was the real reason. the game was abandoned !!

I Like that explanation of it! Probably true too!

One Day
19-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Correct me if my memory is playing tricks but I'm sure he was ref when Rangers beat us in a cup replay with the worst penalty decision I've ever seen.
What made it worse was the winners were at home to Airdrie and he was on the board or at least had links to the club.
Considering Rangers were an inferior team with an enormous support it was obvious who Airdrie fans wanted to win.

That's right, 1-1 at ibrox. they went 1-0 up at Easter Road. Hibs ponded then and eventually got an equaliser only for then to get a ridiculous penalty for a foul miles outside the box

surreyhibbie
19-10-2015, 10:56 PM
That's just made me feel so old!

40 years? Really? http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/sad/super-sad.gif

me too, I was there... 40 years ago? :embarrass

hhibs
20-10-2015, 12:15 AM
me too, I was there... 40 years ago? :embarrass

Those were the days,what a team we had!

Moulin Yarns
20-10-2015, 07:53 AM
Found a few things about it online.

http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/topic/8217660/1/

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/1975-10-18%3A+Celtic+0-2+Hibernian,+Premier+League+(postponed+fog)+-+Pictures

I was at the game, and remember thinking we could see enough from the back of the terracing behind the goal. We got out into the streets after the game and there was no fog!!

Lucius Apuleius
20-10-2015, 08:02 AM
Unfortunately remember it well. Ridiculous decision. Is the hun game the one at ER when Mcdonald dived for the penalty? Again, another ridiculous decision.

MKHIBEE
20-10-2015, 08:15 AM
Did sloop get sent off in the first game? If it's the tie I'm thinking of there was 52,000 at Easter Road for the replay. Jim Black made the tackle for the penalty I think.

JimBHibees
20-10-2015, 08:20 AM
Unfortunately remember it well. Ridiculous decision. Is the hun game the one at ER when Mcdonald dived for the penalty? Again, another ridiculous decision.

No that was a league game. Dived no contact pen given. The record spent the next week doctoring photos to make out there had been contact the club rag it is.

Pretty sure Davidson was in charge of a game at Ibrox where Rangers scored from a goal about 5 yards offside then sent both Paddy and Sloop off for complaining.

greenginger
20-10-2015, 08:26 AM

I remember Shades having a picture of the incident above his Easter Road Bar, with MC Donald flying through the air with no one near him. There was a sports sticker above it,

" Sport for All, Diving ! " :greengrin

Shades also had a bit in his likes/dislikes in the Hibs program,

Favorite Actress - John McDonald.

brog
20-10-2015, 10:48 AM
I remember the Sunday Mail stated after we drew 1-1 in the replay of the fog game that "justice was served all round". Aye right! What is also often overlooked is our 2-0 victory would have put us top of the league & given us a huge boost in our ongoing rivalry with Celtc at that time. Only in Scotland.

Lucius Apuleius
20-10-2015, 12:35 PM
No that was a league game. Dived no contact pen given. The record spent the next week doctoring photos to make out there had been contact the club rag it is.

Pretty sure Davidson was in charge of a game at Ibrox where Rangers scored from a goal about 5 yards offside then sent both Paddy and Sloop off for complaining.

I remember Shades having a picture of the incident above his Easter Road Bar, with MC Donald flying through the air with no one near him. There was a sports sticker above it,

" Sport for All, Diving ! " :greengrin

Shades also had a bit in his likes/dislikes in the Hibs program,

Favorite Actress - John McDonald.

Cool, for some reason I thought it was a cup game. I ended up on the main terracing that night surrounded by huns. I did manage to leave unscathed though :greengrin

southsider
20-10-2015, 01:00 PM

Not sure if Pat got sent off but JB did for calling Davidson " a cheatin' orange b.......By the way Tommy McLean, who scored, was more like 15 yards off. I hated that little sh...house and the only one I hated more was Alex McDonald an absolute cretin. We never fully recovered from that result as I felt we had a real chance of winning the title. Davidson always, without fail, gave a "Scotland-Australia" result against us.

Killiehibbie
20-10-2015, 04:00 PM
I'm sure I've seen footage of a Hibs v Celtic game, think it was at ER, where Celtic fans were invading the pitch and big Jock Stein went marching up to them from the dug out going nuts at them telling them to get back on the terrace.4-1 it finished and they couldn't take it.

IberianHibernian
20-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Remember the abandoned game at Parkhead . There wasn`t really any segregation at Parkhead ( or Ibrox ) in those days but remember being at back of old front stand . We dominated match which was no surprise as at that time Hibs and Celtic were the two best teams in Scotland and both competed with top European teams in EC / UEFA Cup . I`ve probably seen us play 20 times at Parkhead but that was the nearest I saw to a victory ( remember wins in about 1970 with Marinello etc , Temperley winner 3 days after getting through in Norrkopping in 1978 , another win in 80s on last day which meant Hearts qualified for Europe though we also got in later for some reason , Danny Galbraith winner ... but missed them all ) . Remember a draw 1 v 1 with a Paul Wright equaliser at New Year in about 1995 ( ? ) maybe only a couple of days after a New Year disaster against Hearts - good result but I remember it for monsoon and being hijacked by Huns on way back to centre of Glasgow .

IberianHibernian
20-10-2015, 09:37 PM
For younger readers that was a time when we were genuine title challengers.Very important point . This was not a Hibs team that started the league well then faded away but a team that played great football and showed it against top quality teams in Europe . The Celtic team of then was nothing like the present one - they competed well with the very best in Europe and we matched them in most things .

emerald green
20-10-2015, 09:39 PM
How anyone, no matter what club they support, can read through this thread and conclude that there is (or was) no corruption in Scottish football is beyond me.

Arth@talk
20-10-2015, 09:59 PM
Was there with my brother near corner flag. Could see flag at diagonally opposite corner through 'fog' so can't have been very thick. Aggrieved at the time - I think we were at top of the league with Celtic second at the time so not getting the win we deserved was costly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

monktonharp
20-10-2015, 11:16 PM
Found a few things about it online.

http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/topic/8217660/1/

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/1975-10-18%3A+Celtic+0-2+Hibernian,+Premier+League+(postponed+fog)+-+Pictures

I was at the game, and remember thinking we could see enough from the back of the terracing behind the goal. We got out into the streets after the game and there was no fog!!Totally agree. I was there too, in the auld oeiginal stand with a Celtic mate. we were coasting, 2 up when the fog came doon.the "jungle" fans invaded the pitch, the ref took the players off, and then abandoned the match. within ten minutes we were outside the ground and there was nae fog at all ! we were raging, and even my Celtic mate had us almost battling with his fellow fans about how unfair it turned out. we were on the verge of winning the league that season.also so cruel decisions with games against an auld club called Rangers, conspired against us that year.

Tom Hart RIP
21-10-2015, 05:05 PM
The early 70s was a great period for Scottish fitba. Rangers won the Cuo Winners Cup and we were a better team than them. Celtic got knocked out on pens in the semi final of the European Cup. We were better than Leeds over 2 legs and but for a missed penalty could have put Liverpool out of the UEFA Cup.

Rougier45
21-10-2015, 06:07 PM
I'm sure I've seen footage of a Hibs v Celtic game, think it was at ER, where Celtic fans were invading the pitch and big Jock Stein went marching up to them from the dug out going nuts at them telling them to get back on the terrace.

I'm sure I was there- one of my earliest games hibs won 4-1. AT ER Celtic frans invaded at HT big jock was on trying to calm down the tic fans who where going mental - was it not davie Moyes or maybe conroy debut - my old man made us leave early -, great days

Bostonhibby
21-10-2015, 06:25 PM
The early 70s was a great period for Scottish fitba. Rangers won the Cuo Winners Cup and we were a better team than them. Celtic got knocked out on pens in the semi final of the European Cup. We were better than Leeds over 2 legs and but for a missed penalty could have put Liverpool out of the UEFA Cup.
Amazing to think how far it's all fallen. We really were that good. Used to expect to beat the now defunct Glasgow rangers and we usually did in the big games. We used to hand out football lessons to a very good celtc side as well. The dryburgh cup games were enjoyable- only big teams qualified and I think we won it most.

Happy days.

brog
21-10-2015, 06:34 PM
How anyone, no matter what club they support, can read through this thread and conclude that there is (or was) no corruption in Scottish football is beyond me.

I don't think there was or is deliberate or organised corruption in the refereeing community. Rather, the OF dominate or blight our landscape to such an extent that unthinking corruption is almost endemic. Put it this way, for mostly commercial reasons it suits the media & our football establishment to promote the OF. That almost slavish adulation of all things Sevco or Celtc means that our refs know they'll never be subject to proper or independent scrutiny over any decision awarded in favour of the uglies. Conversely they also know they'll be pilloried if they give another club the benefit of the doubt in any controversial decision against the OF. That environment makes it tough for good refs, eg Calum Murray to get the respect & credit they deserve.
I've just read my own post, you're right they're corrupt!