PDA

View Full Version : Tavernier

ekhibee
18-10-2015, 10:43 PM
Okay, he takes a good free kick, no doubt, but the times I've seen him defensively he's really not that good at the back. Watched the highlights on Sportscene and I'm sure he should have been marking the QOS scorer. Other times I've seen him he seems lost when other teams are attacking. I'd just be interested to hear what others think about this.

FromTheCapital
18-10-2015, 10:46 PM
Set pieces are tremendous and he is a real threat going forward but he looks shaky defensively. Though, Rangers won't be troubled much off teams in the Championship, I'd like to see how he gets on in the Premiership as he wasn't great against St Johnstone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cod Boy
18-10-2015, 10:49 PM
Couldn't get a game for Wigan in the third tier of English football that's how good he is

greenlex
18-10-2015, 10:53 PM
I'd like to see how he gets on in the Premiership as he wasn't great against St Johnstone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk So would I but just not next season.

Scouse Hibee
19-10-2015, 01:29 AM
Okay, he takes a good free kick, no doubt, but the times I've seen him defensively he's really not that good at the back. Watched the highlights on Sportscene and I'm sure he should have been marking the QOS scorer. Other times I've seen him he seems lost when other teams are attacking. I'd just be interested to hear what others think about this.

We would love a fullback rattling in the goals at the rate he is doing and would laugh at a thread like this about him.

lyonhibs
19-10-2015, 03:39 AM
We would love a fullback rattling in the goals at the rate he is doing and would laugh at a thread like this about him.

Quite. If Rangers win 4-2 or similar every game for the rest of the season, with Tavernier scoring a goal every other game, his supposed defence failings will be neither here nor there.

blackpoolhibs
19-10-2015, 06:27 AM

Never bothered watching, sportscene was ruined for me by some numpty posting the score on the wrong thread on Saturday.

Brightside
19-10-2015, 07:41 AM

I think the OP point is correct though. He is poor at the back as are the rest of the defence. If put under pressure they will leak goals. Team have gvien them far to much respect this season. Have a go and you will score goals.

J-C
19-10-2015, 08:29 AM
It's been mentioned on numerous threads, mark Tavernier and Wallace out of the game and Rangers are an average team, everything comes through these two down the wings. McCall did this last year when he stopped Gray and Stevenson, nullified them and we had no width, we now have other options with Boyle or we can go three up top.

J-C
19-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Never bothered watching, sportscene was ruined for me by some numpty posting the score on the wrong thread on Saturday.

Naughty :greengrin

oneone73
19-10-2015, 08:34 AM
Naughty :greengrin

And tedious.

O'Rourke3
19-10-2015, 11:59 AM
:slipper:

hfc rd
19-10-2015, 04:29 PM

😜

Bronson
19-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Couldn't get a game for Wigan in the third tier of English football that's how good he is

I just don't buy this theory. Leigh Griffiths couldn't get a game for Wolves in that league at one point, need I say more?

Obviously a good player, but definitely not the messiah he's cracked up to be.

Scouse Hibee
19-10-2015, 06:06 PM

It doesn't matter who he couldn't get a game for, he is tearing up this league and scoring plenty. He's shown to have pace,trickery, can take a mean free kick and can finish when the opportunity arises. He's been brought in to do a job and he's doing it no doubt about it.Whether he is good enough for the SPL or anywhere else doesn't matter a jot this season.

Smartie
19-10-2015, 07:11 PM
I was speaking to a The Rangers supporting mate about him at the Scotland game the other week.

He said that he is unbelievably good going forward and that he's basically an extra wide forward and spends all his time going forward, thus his impressive scoring record.

He did say though that prior to losing the first goal in the Morton vs The Rangers game that Morton had sussed that he piled forward and didn't pay much attention to tracking back. At 0-0, whenever Rangers lost the ball, Morton kept a nippy wide forward of their own (I forget his name) out where the fullback would normally be and that as soon as they got the ball they'd play a long diagonal pass to him. Seemingly he couldn't believe his luck every time the ball came to him and he basically bottled what were 3 decent chances to get in 1 on 1 on the keeper prior to the Rangers goal.

My mate thinks that Tavernier will be magnificent whilst they're trying to blow First Division teams away but that he is a bit of an achilles heel defensively and might get exposed against the better teams in this league and certainly in the league above unless he reins it in a bit.

He also said that Wallace is his player of the season so far but that they have no cover for him. If he were to get injured he reckons they would be in a lot of trouble.

ekhibee
20-10-2015, 12:09 AM
It doesn't matter who he couldn't get a game for, he is tearing up this league and scoring plenty. He's shown to have pace,trickery, can take a mean free kick and can finish when the opportunity arises. He's been brought in to do a job and he's doing it no doubt about it.Whether he is good enough for the SPL or anywhere else doesn't matter a jot this season.
I've only seen him score with free kicks so I'll have to take your word for the rest of it. Against QOS, and St Johnstone (the first goal), his marking was woeful. I've not been impressed with his defending when I've seen it, and that's part of his job surely, not just taking great free kicks. Of course he's a good player, I'm not denying that, but left/right backs aren't there just to bomb forward all the time, they should have defensive qualities as well and he seems to struggle in that area. But that's just my opinion.

Pete
20-10-2015, 04:28 AM

:agree:

Warburton has seen the gaps and he's plugged them well with Tavernier, Waghorn etc...like ourselves, Sevco are a class above this league and there's no point in denying the obvious.

J-C
20-10-2015, 07:28 AM

People are forgetting we're in the Scottish Championship and EL div 1/div 2 is where we will most likely get our players from, that's the standard we have dropped to.

Liam Fontaine - Bristol City
David Gray - Stevenage/Burton
Dom Malonga who was on loan with Murcia in Spain League 2

bigwheel
20-10-2015, 07:33 AM
People are forgetting we're in the Scottish Championship and EL div 1/div 2 is where we will most likely get our players from, that's the standard we have dropped to.

Liam Fontaine - Bristol City
David Gray - Stevenage/Burton
Dom Malonga who was on loan with Murcia in Spain League 2

whilst that is true - it is also true for the Scottish Prem - Scottish clubs can't compete with Championship wages now, only Celtic can do that...

Brightside
20-10-2015, 08:26 AM
I've only seen him score with free kicks so I'll have to take your word for the rest of it. Against QOS, and St Johnstone (the first goal), his marking was woeful. I've not been impressed with his defending when I've seen it, and that's part of his job surely, not just taking great free kicks. Of course he's a good player, I'm not denying that, but left/right backs aren't there just to bomb forward all the time, they should have defensive qualities as well and he seems to struggle in that area. But that's just my opinion.

You are right. He's not a good defender. We have plenty players that will give him enough problems so he doesnt have time to think about bombing forward!