PDA

View Full Version : Lewis' pass for 4th goal

GreenOnions
18-10-2015, 10:17 AM
I just wanted to mention this in a separate thread. I loved this goal and thought that Lewis' pass was sublime. It was made quickly, first-time with perfect weight and angle. Keatings also did well with the finish.

It looked to me that we upped the tempo of our passing after the first twenty minutes and that's what put us in the ascendency. The fourth goal and that pass, in particular, exemplified this I thought.

greenlex
18-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Good work from Cummings too

Smartie
18-10-2015, 11:23 AM
I'm glad somebody brought this up.

It was an outstanding team goal, some great passing and moving but the final ball from Lewis was sublime.

The first and fourth goals yesterday were of the highest quality.

hibby6270
18-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Couldn't agree more.

When you think about it we had what you could say was the perfect 4 goal tally yesterday.

1 - Long range top corner rasper.
2 - Set piece close range header.
3 - Pen
4 - Sublime flowing team passing move expertly finished.

Now - if we could do this every week and maybe add A goalmouth scramble and a Direct free kick (though technically that's what the penalty was), we'd be on easy street.:wink:

NAE NOOKIE
18-10-2015, 12:07 PM
It was a lovely move and a nice pass from Lewis. But as I said on another thread, he could have had a goal of his own ... 18 yards out directly in front of goal and not a Dumbarton player in a position to get in a challenge or even get in the way of a shot and he chose to pass sideways. I know Lewis is famously one footed and the ball was on his right, but even so in that situation I expect a man getting paid to play football to have a go.

Stantons Angel
18-10-2015, 03:04 PM
It was a lovely move and a nice pass from Lewis. But as I said on another thread, he could have had a goal of his own ... 18 yards out directly in front of goal and not a Dumbarton player in a position to get in a challenge or even get in the way of a shot and he chose to pass sideways. I know Lewis is famously one footed and the ball was on his right, but even so in that situation I expect a man getting paid to play football to have a go.

I was anxious at the time he made that chance for himself, what would he do, pass or have a go himself, as you say he was wrong footed and chose to pass
Decisions made on the football park are made so quickly and some get it wrong, Lewis did, but the remark about money brings no logic to the post imo, when the sublime pass he made for that goal is what he's paid to do too!

Shrekko
18-10-2015, 03:59 PM
The 'chance' Lewis had on his right foot wasn't exactly gilt edged and I've seen plenty of strikers do the same. Left footed players are often very 1 footed.

I think that although his crossing can sometimes be a bit disappointing he's still developing as a more enterprising full back than he had been previously and is doing ok. His work for the 3rd goal last week at QOS was superb.

Leithwalk
18-10-2015, 04:22 PM
He did make one lovely pass with his right foot, so maybe he's working on it. Never too late, etc.................

ian cruise
18-10-2015, 04:41 PM

Problem is, if he has a go and it goes horribly wrongwrong, he's gets slated on here and there's potential for a dip in confidence if the crowd start to grumble.

NAE NOOKIE
18-10-2015, 06:03 PM
I was anxious at the time he made that chance for himself, what would he do, pass or have a go himself, as you say he was wrong footed and chose to pass
Decisions made on the football park are made so quickly and some get it wrong, Lewis did, but the remark about money brings no logic to the post imo, when the sublime pass he made for that goal is what he's paid to do too!

It wasn't about money ... It was more about him being a professional player. Even a player as one footed as him can surely take a punt at a clear shooting opportunity, which it was. We were 4 - 1 up at the time, I doubt anybody would have had a go at him even if he had missed by a mile. I'm not angry about it or anything .. I just don't get why he wouldn't have a go.

NAE NOOKIE
18-10-2015, 06:06 PM
The 'chance' Lewis had on his right foot wasn't exactly gilt edged and I've seen plenty of strikers do the same. Left footed players are often very 1 footed.

I think that although his crossing can sometimes be a bit disappointing he's still developing as a more enterprising full back than he had been previously and is doing ok. His work for the 3rd goal last week at QOS was superb.

I never said it was guilt edged, but it was as clear a shooting opportunity as you can get on the edge of the box against a packed defence. He did everything right to open up the space and then passed the ball along the box to someone who was never going to get a shot in.

Baldy Foghorn
18-10-2015, 07:20 PM
His pass to Keatings was sublime.....

Billychaotic182
18-10-2015, 07:24 PM
How many assists is that for Stevenson now this season?

Taz_hibee
18-10-2015, 08:11 PM
Why is it every time there is a post about LS doing something good someone has to post a negative comment about him [emoji24][emoji107]🏻

The Sundance Kid
18-10-2015, 08:25 PM
How many assists is that for Stevenson now this season?

5 so far this season, most in the team

JimBHibees
18-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Brilliant pass but more important brilliant one touch goal, Jason, Lewis, Keats brilliant.

PatHead
18-10-2015, 08:36 PM
I like Lewis but I find it sad that everytime he does something good it is felt we have to praise him. Let him get on with his job.

You don't have to defend him all the time. It just puts pressure when he makes a mistake and another thread appears.

GreenOnions
18-10-2015, 09:06 PM
I like Lewis but I find it sad that everytime he does something good it is felt we have to praise him. Let him get on with his job.

You don't have to defend him all the time. It just puts pressure when he makes a mistake and another thread appears.

I know what you're saying ...........I think. However - as the OP - I should just clarify that the main thing I was talking about was the quality of the goal and, in particular, the quality of the first-time pass to Keatings. I only mentioned Lewis because it was he who made the pass. Everyone around me really enjoyed the style and quality of the move and it was the highlight of the game for me.

Sergey
18-10-2015, 09:13 PM
I know what you're saying ...........I think. However - as the OP - I should just clarify that the main thing I was talking about was the quality of the goal and, in particular, the quality of the first-time pass to Keatings. I only mentioned Lewis because it was he who made the pass. Everyone around me really enjoyed the style and quality of the move and it was the highlight of the game for me.

FFS - it was against Dumbarton.

It shows how low we've sunk when we're starting threads about an assist and passing move against Dumbarton.

Smartie
18-10-2015, 09:14 PM
I thought it was a brilliant pass and well worthy of a mention regardless who made it.

Lewis gets a hard time for the quality of his final ball. That was as good a final ball as you will see and he has been a particularly productive outlet in our last 2 games.

I thought he had an iffy end to last season and didn't start this season particularly well either. But he was excellent for the majority of last season and has been consistently good for years.

Good to see him back to his best, I hope it continues throughout the sequence of very important games we have coming up.

Smartie
18-10-2015, 09:17 PM

It shows how low we've sunk when we're starting threads about an assist and passing move against Dumbarton.

You can only beat what's in front of you.

I'll settle for sublime football against a team that have already beaten us this season and held us at home last season.

If we keep passing the ball, providing killer balls and finishing the way we did for the fourth goal yesterday we'll beat far better teams that Dumbarton along the way.

GreenOnions
18-10-2015, 09:25 PM

Soooooooooo.................. what is this forum for then exactly? Should we not be talking about aspects of our team's performances that we have enjoyed? Surely it's still possible for good football to be played and applauded even when the opposition is Championship level? Jeez :-/

TRC
18-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Is there another player in Scotland that has been at their club aslong as Lewis?

HoboHarry
18-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Is there another player in Scotland that has been at their club aslong as Lewis?
His is a remarkable story but maybe the shine is taken off a little when you consider that Lee Wallace and Kenny Miller have stayed at their club during their entire history.....

:greengrin

The Sundance Kid
18-10-2015, 09:40 PM

Considine's been at Aberdeen a year more I think, don't know if there's anybody else

hibs0666
18-10-2015, 09:45 PM

I guess it was ok when we scored belters against Aberdeen?

And I never expect to see you droning on about English non league football ever again if that's your attitude.

Sergey
18-10-2015, 09:50 PM
I guess it was ok when we scored belters against Aberdeen?

And I never expect to see you droning on about English non league football ever again if that's your attitude.

Are you stating that all Hibs players are better than English non league level?

keep the faith
18-10-2015, 10:02 PM

Yes

greenlex
18-10-2015, 10:03 PM
I don't think that's what he's saying but now you mention it I would say without exception. Are you saying different? Some non league games are no better than some junior games up here.

Sergey
18-10-2015, 10:17 PM
I don't think that's what he's saying but now you mention it I would say without exception. Are you saying different? Some non league games are no better than some junior games up here.

Let's take Barnet as a yardstick. Neither Stephens or Stack are in their starting XI and they're League 2 / Conference standard.

I was at a match mid-week and a player who couldn't get a starting berth for Enfield (Ryman Premier) trotted out at Easter Road last season for Falkirk.

Of course, when Collins signed players from non-league, the likes of Clayton Donaldson was a numpty.

Like it or not - Hibs would struggle to beat Maidstone Utd over two legs.

HoboHarry
18-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Let's take Barnet as a yardstick. Neither Stephens or Stack are in their starting XI and they're League 2 / Conference standard.

I was at a match mid-week and a player who couldn't get a starting berth for Enfield (Ryman Premier) trotted out at Easter Road last season for Falkirk.

Of course, when Collins signed players from non-league, the likes of Clayton Donaldson was a numpty.

It's quite likely that we will be promoted this year and then we will be an SPL team. Are you suggesting that Maidstone are SPL quality?

Sergey
18-10-2015, 10:30 PM
It's quite likely that we will be promoted this year and then we will be an SPL team. Are you suggesting that Maidstone are SPL quality?

I'd wager that Maidstone Utd are a better side than Dumbarton, in every way. As are a plethora of non-league clubs in England.

greenlex
18-10-2015, 10:32 PM

Put the wine away and get to yer bed Sergey. Not one player in the Hibs squad yesterday would struggle at that level. Maidstone beat Hibs over two legs? Aye if you say so. Stephens Stack or any player at Falkirk last season wouldn't get a game in this Hibs squad and I include Sibbald (who I rate) in that.

greenlex
18-10-2015, 10:33 PM
I'd wager that Maidstone Utd are a better side than Dumbarton, in every way. As are a plethora of non-league clubs in England.
I thought we were talking about Hibs?

hibs0666
18-10-2015, 10:36 PM

I couldn't give a toss to be honest.

Sergey
18-10-2015, 10:41 PM

I thought we were discussing the standards of Scottish Championship football. At least I was.

I couldn't give a toss to be honest.

Quite rightly, maybe best not to get into a discussion when you clearly know nothing about the counter-argument, eh!

HoboHarry
18-10-2015, 10:42 PM
He was but he must have been on the sauce all afternoon and evening and forgot what he said....

Dunbar Hibee
18-10-2015, 10:44 PM
Problem is, if he has a go and it goes horribly wrongwrong, he's gets slated on here and there's potential for a dip in confidence if the crowd start to grumble.

Yep, spot on. Had Lewis skied it or it went horribly wide we would have had the usual "**** off Stevenson you're *****" comments from the clowns who don't realise what an important player he is for us.

MWHIBBIES
18-10-2015, 10:44 PM

Like it or not - Hibs would struggle to beat Maidstone Utd over two legs.Stephens and Stack have over 120 games each in 3 years. Do they sub their keeper and center halfs that much?

greenlex
18-10-2015, 10:47 PM
I thought we were discussing the standards of Scottish Championship football. At least I was.

Quite rightly, maybe best not to get into a discussion when you clearly know nothing about the counter-argument, eh!
You clearly have had too much claret.:wink: You asked Hibs0666 if he thought all Hibs players were a better standard than English non league. Thats what we were discussing. Night night.:greengrin

worcesterhibby
18-10-2015, 10:59 PM

Yes but are they likely to to go into liquidation ? I would presume you are in the know :na na:

I watch some non-league football down here too and I think Hibs would stuff all the teams I watch.

flash
19-10-2015, 06:03 AM

You really are a horrendous troll.

Jim44
19-10-2015, 06:27 AM

You spend time on here going on about obscure English mediocrity who nobody's really interested in. So what if it's 'only Dumbarton'? You can only play what's in front of you. Just because we've sunk lo an unacceptable level, doesn't mean we can't enjoy what they're dishing up.

ps. I didn't read right through the thread but I now see that quite a few also disagree with your put down of the club you're supposed to support.

GreenOnions
19-10-2015, 08:54 AM
A-a-a-a-a-nyway - so, as I was saying in the original post - nice goal - wasn't it?

PatHead
19-10-2015, 10:00 AM
A-a-a-a-a-nyway - so, as I was saying in the original post - nice goal - wasn't it?

Yes

NAE NOOKIE
19-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Yep, spot on. Had Lewis skied it or it went horribly wide we would have had the usual "**** off Stevenson you're *****" comments from the clowns who don't realise what an important player he is for us.

I wouldn't have ..... anybody who has watched Hibs for more than 5 minutes knows how one footed Lewis is, if he had missed by a mile I would still have been more impressed with him having a go than I was with him passing up what was a decent chance.

WeeRussell
19-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Here Sergey - I bet I'm better at football than you!

I bet I've supported Hibs longer anaw: I liked them when I was in my mum's tummy.

Maidstone united over 2 legs :rolleyes::faf:

Jonnyboy
19-10-2015, 08:22 PM
You spend time on here going on about obscure English mediocrity who nobody's really interested in. So what if it's 'only Dumbarton'? You can only play what's in front of you. Just because we've sunk lo an unacceptable level, doesn't mean we can't enjoy what they're dishing up.

ps. I didn't read right through the thread but I now see that quite a few also disagree with your put down of the club you're supposed to support.

Indeed. A well placed pass is a well placed pass, regardless of the opposition. In Lewis' case his pass was hit first time with perfect pace and direction and that allowed Keatings to fire the ball home without breaking his stride. Wouldn't matter who was defending that

Stantons Angel
19-10-2015, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't have ..... anybody who has watched Hibs for more than 5 minutes knows how one footed Lewis is, if he had missed by a mile I would still have been more impressed with him having a go than I was with him passing up what was a decent chance.

I have watched Hibs for more than 5 mins and I know he is one footed, i know too that if he did hit it and it hadn't gone in the net you would have been one of the first on here Letting him have it for not passing to a team mate

Lewis cant do right for doing wrong with some on here!

as I said previously this thread was started by someone wanting to give him some praise for his accurate pass that Ied to a Hibs goal

so weII done Lewis we wiII be Looking for the same tomorrow night!

Sergey
19-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Yes but are they likely to to go into liquidation ? I would presume you are in the know :na na:

I watch some non-league football down here too and I think Hibs would stuff all the teams I watch.

If you know your English football - they were liquidated in the 90's and had to resurrect themselves via the Kent leagues. They are currently in the Conference South and are doing rather well in a splendid stadium and averaging crowds of circa 2k per home match with £500k additional income coming from the hire of their 4G surface.

The point I was attempting to discuss - and as you obviously know something about non-league football (seemingly) what league in the English pyramid do you think the likes of Livingston/Alloa and Dumbarton would play at.

I'll tell you something now - think before you blurt out more ill-informed pish...

...and yes - Hearts did go bust, so change that record.

R'Albin
19-10-2015, 09:43 PM
If you know your English football - they were liquidated in the 90's and had to resurrect themselves via the Kent leagues. They are currently in the Conference South and are doing rather well in a splendid stadium and averaging crowds of circa 2k per home match with £500k additional income coming from the hire of their 4G surface.

The point I was attempting to discuss - and as you obviously know something about non-league football (seemingly) what league in the English pyramid do you think the likes of Livingston/Alloa and Dumbarton would play at.

I'll tell you something now - think before you blurt out more ill-informed pish...

You started off this conversion cut so i might as well end it that way. Whether Hibs are a better footballing side or not is irrelevant - watch the '07 sunshine on leith and tell me we aren't far more relevant.

Sergey
19-10-2015, 09:50 PM
You started off this conversion cut so i might as well end it that way. Whether Hibs are a better footballing side or not is irrelevant - watch the '07 sunshine on leith and tell me we aren't far more relevant.

Sorry - I've read your post three times and I don't have a clue the point you are trying to make.

If you want to join the discussion, at least put forward a cohesive argument.

FranckSuzy
19-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Sorry - I've read your post three times and I don't have a clue the point you are trying to make.

If you want to join the discussion, at least put forward a cohesive argument.

That's a bit :kettle: TBF. This thread was started to discuss/praise a pass LS executed well and yet you've managed to steer it round to Maidstone Utd! :greengrin

Jim44
19-10-2015, 10:00 PM
It's obvious that Stubbs doesn't read Hibs.net or he'd have dropped Lewis Stevenson months ago. :rolleyes:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
19-10-2015, 10:26 PM
Lewis's ball through to Keatings was sublime.

BoomtownHibees
19-10-2015, 10:55 PM

None of that really matters. You asked if Hibs players were any better than English non league players and the answer is clearly yes. Nothing to do with Livi or Dumbarton.

To say that Maidstone would beat Hibs over 2 legs is ludicrous

Pete
20-10-2015, 02:55 AM
None of that really matters. You asked if Hibs players were any better than English non league players and the answer is clearly yes. Nothing to do with Livi or Dumbarton.

To be honest I think people are being a bit silly trying to trip Sergey up when all he was doing was adding a different dimension to the debate and opening it out to include standards in our league and therefore our players and team within a bigger picture.

Taking statements like "hibs would struggle to beat Maidstone" and "Dumbarton would struggle against.." in isolation is being a bit unfair (even though they can be debated sensibly) when the gist of the argument is obvious.

No need for the constant, irrelevant digs about the hearts situation either. Smacks of message board bullying to me.

BoomtownHibees
20-10-2015, 05:37 AM
To be honest I think people are being a bit silly trying to trip Sergey up when all he was doing was adding a different dimension to the debate and opening it out to include standards in our league and therefore our players and team within a bigger picture.

Taking statements like "hibs would struggle to beat Maidstone" and "Dumbarton would struggle against.." in isolation is being a bit unfair (even though they can be debated sensibly) when the gist of the argument is obvious.

No need for the constant, irrelevant digs about the hearts situation either. Smacks of message board bullying to me.

It's not being silly at all. He made the statement then changed his agenda when folk disagreed with him and has never commented on his original quotes again.

Hibby Kay-Yay
20-10-2015, 05:58 AM

Wow, it appears you really don't like Hibs just now!

Northernhibee
20-10-2015, 06:18 AM

:kettle:

GreenOnions
20-10-2015, 08:24 AM

The poster who entered the debate with the first sarcastic and arguably disdainful post is, I'm sure, likely to accept that if you give it out you get it back.

lyonhibs
20-10-2015, 10:39 AM

Lewis' pass was quality. Through balls into the strike off a striker in the box will cause problems whether it's Dumbarton or Borussia Dortmund you're playing.

But what's your point re "relevance"? 2007 and the players of that era was near on a decade ago, so where's the relevance of mentioning it in a debate regarding the quality of the Scottish 1st division 2015?

Johnny_Leith
20-10-2015, 10:50 AM
A good pass is a good pass, it doesn't matter who you're playing. What's so hard to get?

Sergey
20-10-2015, 05:17 PM

It's misinformed posts like this that grates and clearly shows the complete ignorance of posters on here. Worcester Hibby has been posted missing since I pulled him up on his complete lack of knowledge to non-league football in England, so let me have a wee poke at you.

Hibs players are clearly better than non-league...are they?

As previously mentioned, Stack, Stephens and Nelson all played for Barnet while in the Conference (that happens to be non-league down here) - with the exception of Williams (Bradford) the majority of the squad of the 2013/14 season are playing in League 2 at best. Some of the others who were cast-off are now in the lower leagues of Scottish football, but that doesn't even tip the mercury in footballing terms.

You clearly show a complete ignorance to non-league football in England, and indeed, Maidstone United (or any other club). Mark my words, whether it be Hibs/Alloa/Livingston or whoever in the Div II of Scottish football, we are no better than non-league standard.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but Butcher took ICT to the SCF with 8 of his starting XI plucked from the non-league in England. Hibs couldn't have beaten that ICT team even if they were given a goal of a start...and with Butcher in charge of ICT.

I would like to say that you slope-off and go do some groundwork before you spew forth more deluded and ill-informed dross.

:bye:

BoomtownHibees
20-10-2015, 05:34 PM
It's misinformed posts like this that grates and clearly shows the complete ignorance of posters on here. Worcester Hibby has been posted missing since I pulled him up on his complete lack of knowledge to non-league football in England, so let me have a wee poke at you.

As previously mentioned, Stack, Stephens and Nelson all played for Barnet while in the Conference (that happens to be non-league down here) - with the exception of Williams (Bradford) the majority of the squad of the 2013/14 season are playing in League 2 at best. Some of the others who were cast-off are now in the lower leagues of Scottish football, but that doesn't even tip the mercury in footballing terms.

You clearly show a complete ignorance to non-league football in England, and indeed, Maidstone United (or any other club). Mark my words, whether it be Hibs/Alloa/Livingston or whoever in the Div II of Scottish football, we are no better than non-league standard.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but Butcher took ICT to the SCF with 8 of his starting XI plucked from the non-league in England. Hibs couldn't have beaten that ICT team even if they were given a goal of a start...and with Butcher in charge of ICT.

I would like to say that you slope-off and go do some groundwork before you spew forth more deluded and ill-informed dross.

Hahahaha. What a load of nonsense.

Who cares about Stack, Stephens or Nelson?? Let's talk about the current Hibs team and who you think isn't better than the level of English non league?

SaulGoodman
20-10-2015, 05:39 PM

You're either on an expert fishing trip or you've completely lost the plot.

Sergey
20-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Hahahaha. What a load of nonsense.

Who cares about Stack, Stephens or Nelson?? Let's talk about the current Hibs team and who you think isn't better than the level of English non league?

Is that the best you can conjure by way of a debate?

You're not worth my time to even enter into a discussion with.

BoomtownHibees
20-10-2015, 05:55 PM
Is that the best you can conjure by way of a debate?

You're not worth my time to even enter into a discussion with.

Not worth "your time"?? Who do you think you are?

You mention players that we got rid of for not being good enough to back up your argument. That's clever that.

You speak some nonsense on here but your comments on this thread have really exceeded even that level of s**t

GreenOnions
20-10-2015, 06:09 PM
Wtf has happened to this thread? It's like a hubris competition