PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Hamilton R.I.P.

Ray_
18-10-2015, 08:08 AM
I see in the Mail that Hibs usual number 12 in the TT's, Johnny Hamilton has passed away aged 66. It doesn't have any details other than that.

Johnny was a fine player at Hibs and I'm sure there was more than a few people surprised when he was given a free at the end of the 72/73 season, although he was swiftly signed up by his boyhood favourites, rangers.

Condolences to Johnny's family and friends.

R.I.P. John, you gave us some great memories, not least the goal at Parkhead in 1969, which contributed to the 2-1 win.

mim
18-10-2015, 08:23 AM
Sorry to hear that. He was a good lad.
RIP Johnny.

oneone73
18-10-2015, 09:10 AM
Sad news. RIP.

Golden Bear
18-10-2015, 09:13 AM
I remember his distinctive hairstyle as well as his exciting play.

RIP Johnny.

O'Rourke3
18-10-2015, 09:24 AM
RIP Johnny. My strongest memory is him putting one in from the right wing shooting up the slope (that was more likely to have been a cross) versus Montrose either Dryborough Cup or group stage of the League Cup. 3-0 Hibs that day.

bigwheel
18-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Talented player - would have been a starter in most teams in his day

all the best to his family and those close to him

Forza Fred
18-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Talented player - would have been a starter in most teams in his day

all the best to his family and those close to him

Agree with this.

I remember him well.

Scouse Hibee
18-10-2015, 11:30 AM
The same guy that used to have the newsagent on Slateford Road? If so I used to speak to him when I first came here in 1990.

Feed McGraw
18-10-2015, 12:07 PM
The same guy that used to have the newsagent on Slateford Road? If so I used to speak to him when I first came here in 1990. Same name but not the same guy - he played for Hearts and was a fair bit older than our Johnny, he also passed away a couple of years ago.

R.I.P. Johnny, thanks for the memories.

Hiber-nation
18-10-2015, 12:22 PM
Sad to hear. Always liked him but he wasn't going to get many starts once we signed Alex Edwards.
RIP Johnny.

Gettin' Auld
18-10-2015, 12:35 PM
Sad to hear. Always liked him but he wasn't going to get many starts once we signed Alex Edwards.
RIP Johnny.

He faced competition before that from Peter Marinello too.

Sad news - RIP Johnny

--------
18-10-2015, 12:48 PM
RIP Johnny.

Aye, but he would have been a handy lad to have around the place for the games when Edwards wasn't available - which came along more and more frequently as he fell out with more and more referees.

Which were quite a few. Letting him go on a free was just stupid, especially as he went straight to Ibrox and went on to have a more than decent career there.

I seem to remember a Cup-tie against Aberdeen when he went tearing up the right wing to score the opener in 17 seconds or thereabouts?

My opinion he was a very under-rated player, especially by Turnbull. Willie McFarlane thought a lot of him, IIRC.

Very sad to hear of his death.

scoopyboy
18-10-2015, 01:09 PM
Aye, but he would have been a handy lad to have around the place for the games when Edwards wasn't available - which came along more and more frequently as he fell out with more and more referees.

Which were quite a few. Letting him go on a free was just stupid, especially as he went straight to Ibrox and went on to have a more than decent career there.

I seem to remember a Cup-tie against Aberdeen when he went tearing up the right wing to score the opener in 17 seconds or thereabouts?

My opinion he was a very under-rated player, especially by Turnbull. Willie McFarlane thought a lot of him, IIRC.

Very sad to hear of his death.

Was it not to set up a goal for Jimmy O'Rourke en route to Scottish Cup Final in 1972?

--------
18-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Was it not to set up a goal for Jimmy O'Rourke en route to Scottish Cup Final in 1972?

It's in my head that Hammy scored, but I could well be wrong.

It was that year, definitely.

BSEJVT
18-10-2015, 03:04 PM
In any other era he would have had a more than decent Hibs career

I remember him being a fairly big made guy with long thick black hair

He might have been a wee bit too languid for Eddie Turnbull :-)

Stantons Angel
18-10-2015, 03:09 PM
RIP Hammy, he was a good fringe player for Hibs flitted in and out of the team in the 70's, i remember him being a nice chap!

Forza Fred
18-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Same name but not the same guy - he played for Hearts and was a fair bit older than our Johnny, he also passed away a couple of years ago.

R.I.P. Johnny, thanks for the memories.

Our Johnny had a few more teeth than the Hearts one too.:greengrin

Both charachters in their own right, and glad to be able to say I witnessed both of them play.

MM19
18-10-2015, 05:17 PM
That's really sad news. I remember Hammy running down the wing to score in 10 seconds against Falkirk. Joe Baker scored the winner with a flying header to make the score 3-2. The same game Ferguson broke Cropley's ankle

kaimendhibs
18-10-2015, 05:26 PM
Very sad news. R.I.P

Jonnyboy
18-10-2015, 06:24 PM
Sad to hear this news. Always liked him as a player.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6195

heretoday
19-10-2015, 08:37 AM
For an average player he was fortunate in his career. He was a bit on the slow side for Hibs but he slotted in just fine with Jock Wallace's powerful mid 70s Rangers team and he won a few medals as a result.

brog
19-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Hammy was a good player & a real character. On his final reserve appearance he let the ball bounce & caught it under his strip. The other players knew what was going to happen & kept running about as if there was a ball in play for what seemed an eternity! As usual in Scotland the ref was the only one completely lost. Sad news indeed.

southsider
19-10-2015, 02:24 PM
I spoke about him on another thread about past favourite Hibs players. Never knew he was a hun until he signed for them. Bit of a party animal by all accounts but a fine player. Him and John Hazel were subs in the 1972 league cup side. RIP John.

Wing Half
19-10-2015, 03:35 PM
Hammy was a good player & a real character. On his final reserve appearance he let the ball bounce & caught it under his strip. The other players knew what was going to happen & kept running about as if there was a ball in play for what seemed an eternity! As usual in Scotland the ref was the only one completely lost. Sad news indeed.

This made me smile.

Always thought he was a handy player for the first team and the reserves. He also had the most flash autograph in the 71/72 programme pen pics.