PDA

View Full Version : Weekly shan referee gripe

matty_f
17-10-2015, 06:33 PM
The ref today was (in keeping with the standards this season) woeful. I didn't think at any point that he had control of the game. He let some bad challenges go and seemed to miss loads.

He wasn't interested in booking Malonga until the Dumbarton players had a go, and for some reason he didn't produce any card at the penalty.

The guy behind me shouted 'Ref, you're rubbish!' I didn't think he was that good.

Pretty Boy
17-10-2015, 06:35 PM
He was another total joker. There was a tackle in the 2nd half on Keatings that was really poor and he signalled the player got the ball. What does that matter? There's nothing in the rules about playing the ball not being a foul.

Hiber-nation
17-10-2015, 06:37 PM
Brian Colvin. When both sets of players are having a go at him you know then that he's having a stinker. Horrendous throughout the game.

O'Rourke3
17-10-2015, 06:39 PM
He was another total joker. There was a tackle in the 2nd half on Keatings that was really poor and he signalled the player got the ball. What does that matter? There's nothing in the rules about playing the ball not being a foul.

That was the same scissors tackle that Danny Handling managed to get himself sent off for at Ibrox but our ref never saw an issue. Their centre halfs spent most the game pulling our forwards all over the place and again, "Nelson" saw nothing. Fed up with the poor standard we get

Malthibby
17-10-2015, 06:40 PM
According to the Beeb he gave more fouls against than for us, never mind the yellow cards.
Tube.
GG

ACLeith
He was often miles away from the play, lack of fitness to ref a full-time team?

As for the west side linesman - stood like a zombie when there was any decision to make. As bad as anything I've seen this season.

matty_f

That was just baffling. :agree:

JimBHibees
He was poor again. Missed loads of fouls especially on Fontaine. Created the atmosphere that ended with Dumbarton players trying to get Henderson sent off.

emerald green
17-10-2015, 06:49 PM
The general standard of refereeing in this league is rank rotten. Today's referee was a another example, although I've seen worse.

Anyway, nobody should dare to criticise referees (or their assistants). That's not allowed. They are infallible at all times.

ACLeith
17-10-2015, 06:56 PM
Anyway, nobody should dare to criticise referees (or their assistants). That's not allowed. They are infallible at all times.
Apologies EG I really should know better. Refs Ken whit's gaun oan!

The 3 certainties in life - death, taxes and crap refs!!

Onceinawhile
17-10-2015, 06:58 PM
I was surprised he didn't send henderson off tbf to him after the scramble in their goalmouth in the end. He was certainly checking and double checking the number.

Onion
17-10-2015, 07:16 PM
Worrying thing, it was an easy game to referee. Until the last 20, there was nothing for the guy to do, yet he still managed to make a meal of every decision. Missed numerous late tackles, played adv when there was none, was far too influenced by moaning players, and how he failed to even book the guy for the pen is ridiculous.

snedzuk
17-10-2015, 07:34 PM
I thought Hendersons goal was perfectly good - Dumbarton player looked to me to have missed him standing there and played the ball.

Greenblood70
17-10-2015, 07:46 PM
Im running out of things to say about the sheer ineptitude of the officials I've witnessed at ER this season.

Todays joker managed to go what felt like a good half hour without awarding Hibs a free kick in a first half where Dumbarton frequently got away with petty trips, shirt pulling and hand balls. It took Jase finally being rugby tackled in the box for us to be awarded an overdue pen. The Dumbarton player escaping any card, this not long after Malonga had been booked for what looked to me like accidental handball.

matty_f
17-10-2015, 07:49 PM
Im running out of things to say about the sheer ineptitude of the officials I've witnessed at ER this season.

Todays joker managed to go what felt like a good half hour without awarding Hibs a free kick in a first half where Dumbarton frequently got away with petty trips, shirt pulling and hand balls. It took Jase finally being rugby tackled in the box for us to be awarded an overdue pen. The Dumbarton player escaping any card, this not long after Malonga had been booked for what looked to me like accidental handball.

Malonga deliberately handled it but owned up straight away. Neither he nor Hibs gained any notable advantage from the action so I'm astonished he got booked for it, especially when you consider the sheer volume of handballs that go without a booking.

Onceinawhile
17-10-2015, 07:51 PM
I thought Hendersons goal was perfectly good - Dumbarton player looked to me to have missed him standing there and played the ball.

Agreed, but there was no way the ref was giving that. I remember Colin murdock doing something similar at Partick thistle (the defending bit,not scoring) and he got off with it then too.

Pretty Boy
17-10-2015, 07:55 PM

A free kick in the penalty box, much like a goal kick, has to leave the box before the ball becomes active. Henderson touched the ball before it left the box.

Ref was right to order a retake, one of the few things he got right all day.

Onceinawhile
17-10-2015, 07:59 PM
A free kick in the penalty box, much like a goal kick, has to leave the box before the ball becomes active. Henderson touched the ball before it left the box.

Really? Never heard that before. Seems daft.

Thecat23
17-10-2015, 08:01 PM
What you expect he's a Jambo. Same year as me at Liberton High was in few of his classes! He's actually a good lad but had a mare today. Might drop him a PM on Facebook and send him a link to this 😂

Greenblood70
17-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Malonga deliberately handled it but owned up straight away. Neither he nor Hibs gained any notable advantage from the action so I'm astonished he got booked for it, especially when you consider the sheer volume of handballs that go without a booking.

Cheers Matty, the old mince pies aren't what they were and I thought he'd tried to pull his hand out the way. As you say it seemed a fairly inoccuous offence and baring in mind the refs reticence to show any cards or even free kicks in the face of a string of niggling Dumbarton fouls I was pretty surprised to see Malonga booked for that.

CMac1988
17-10-2015, 08:11 PM
I let it rip 2nd half. Couldn't believe he booked Henderson for a kick out when two minutes earlier Bartley was fouled by a Dumbarton who done the exact same? A free kick was given but no card. So many fouls went unnoticed, some blatant holding and hand balls also happened right in front of him but he couldn't care less.

I actually thought Malonga was rightfully booked but it was about the only hand ball I seen given... Inept

Twiglet
17-10-2015, 08:24 PM
After the owrking together meeting on Wednesday and what the comms manager from the SFA said I was trying to give the ref today the benefit of the doubt and not give the officials too hard a time. Waste of time. Joke of a ref. West stand linesman was behind play half the time (didn't pick up on offsides, even with the Dumbarton defence waving their arms about, didn't see the first penalty shout).
It's refereeing performances like this one on a regular basis (had our fair share this season) that makes fans ask how the ref "missed" things and how he "didn't realise" the same player committed 3 fouls in the space of a couple of minutes.

3pm
17-10-2015, 08:24 PM
I can only assume I was reekin. Thought he was OK overall.

3pm
17-10-2015, 08:26 PM

Rules are rules. He deliberately handled it.

Jonnyboy
17-10-2015, 08:31 PM
What you expect he's a Jambo. Same year as me at Liberton High was in few of his classes! He's actually a good lad but had a mare today. Might drop him a PM on Facebook and send him a link to this 

I'm embarrassed that my old school produced Colvin :greengrin

matty_f
17-10-2015, 08:37 PM

That's fine if they're applied consistently.

Edit: the only applicable booking he could have got would have been for 'unsporting behaviour' (there isn't one specifically for handball), but given he held his hands up (no pun intended) and stopped playing, it seems very harsh.

3pm
17-10-2015, 08:38 PM
That's fine if they're applied consistently.

Never will be. You know that.

matty_f
17-10-2015, 08:42 PM
Never will be. You know that.

Which is why I'm right to moan about it! :greengrin

Jonnyboy
17-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Which is why I'm right to moan about it! :greengrin

Matty, you're right about the inconsistency but it was a deliberate hand ball and let's be honest, if a Dumbarton player had done it we'd all be on here saying the booking was the right decision. Having said that, the Ref was woeful :greengrin

Lago
17-10-2015, 09:11 PM
What you expect he's a Jambo. Same year as me at Liberton High was in few of his classes! He's actually a good lad but had a mare today. Might drop him a PM on Facebook and send him a link to this 

It must be murder to be a ref in Scotland, the country's so small everyone knows someone who knows someone or went to school with them, murder.
Personal example, showing my age here, I went to school with Louis Thow you may remember him as a grade 1 ref many years ago, we went to school in Prestwick and many years later having moved to Fife I saw him at a Raith game, shouted out 'small world Louis' and he looked said hi Colin you ok, and this during the game.
As I say who would be a ref, no hiding place.:agree:

matty_f
17-10-2015, 09:53 PM
Matty, you're right about the inconsistency but it was a deliberate hand ball and let's be honest, if a Dumbarton player had done it we'd all be on here saying the booking was the right decision. Having said that, the Ref was woeful :greengrin

Deliberate handball isn't necessarily a booking, according to the rules. :wink:

Jonnyboy
17-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Deliberate handball isn't necessarily a booking, according to the rules. :wink:

What rules? Ah, the GFA rules you mean :greengrin

IrnBru22
17-10-2015, 10:01 PM

Wasnt it outside the box nearer the corner flag?

Andy74
17-10-2015, 10:03 PM

Owning up never been a defence. It was a booking.

Thecat23
17-10-2015, 10:10 PM
It must be murder to be a ref in Scotland, the country's so small everyone knows someone who knows someone or went to school with them, murder.
Personal example, showing my age here, I went to school with Louis Thow you may remember him as a grade 1 ref many years ago, we went to school in Prestwick and many years later having moved to Fife I saw him at a Raith game, shouted out 'small world Louis' and he looked said hi Colin you ok, and this during the game.

Haha, it is indeed a small world. As you say, I'd hate to be a ref because someone will know you and give you grief.

Oh and yes... You are showing your age ;)

Thecat23
17-10-2015, 10:11 PM
I'm embarrassed that my old school produced Colvin :greengrin

Wow... Didn't know Liberton was even build in the 1800's 😜

greenlex
17-10-2015, 10:12 PM

Cannae be right. Indirect free kicks in the box are often knocked sideways in the box to be blootered at the players on the goal line.

matty_f
17-10-2015, 10:12 PM
Owning up never been a defence. It was a booking.

There are (according to the BBC link below) 7 offences that merit a yellow card. I'm not sure which applied.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4201064.stm

Jonnyboy
17-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Wow... Didn't know Liberton was even build in the 1800's 

:na na: :greengrin

Pretty Boy
17-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Cannae be right. Indirect free kicks in the box are often knocked sideways in the box to be blootered at the players on the goal line.

Sorry should have said a free kick for the defensive side in their own penalty box. Different rules in the opposing penalty area whether indirect or direct (as Arsenal tried to demonstrate a few years back).

matty_f
17-10-2015, 10:18 PM

Pretty Boy is right. :agree:

greenlex
17-10-2015, 10:28 PM
Sorry should have said a free kick for the defensive side in their own penalty box. Different rules in the opposing penalty area whether indirect or direct (as Arsenal tried to demonstrate a few years back).
:aok: You would think if for instance a goalie duffs a goal kick and an attacker latches on to it it would be OK. I understand a defender not being able to play it and a rule like that would be the same as the ten yard rule with free kicks for the opposition but once it's played its played. I've decided it's a daft rule. Me and Liam.

Andy74
17-10-2015, 10:31 PM
There are (according to the BBC link below) 7 offences that merit a yellow card. I'm not sure which applied.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4201064.stm

The type when you basically try and grab the ball is treated as unsporting behaviour. He knew right away and tried to pretend it never happened but he did it!

Lago
17-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Haha, it is indeed a small world. As you say, I'd hate to be a ref because someone will know you and give you grief.

Oh and yes... You are showing your age ;)
Bit of respect for your elders please.:greengrin

matty_f
17-10-2015, 10:37 PM
The type when you basically try and grab the ball is treated as unsporting behaviour. He knew right away and tried to pretend it never happened but he did it!

He didn't try and pretend he didn't do it?

Andy74
17-10-2015, 10:41 PM
He didn't try and pretend he didn't do it?

You know what I mean. He pulled the hand away right away and gave it the I didn't mean that act but it was a booking I'm afraid.

matty_f
17-10-2015, 10:45 PM
You know what I mean. He pulled the hand away right away and gave it the I didn't mean that act but it was a booking I'm afraid.

As i said earlier in the thread, I'd accept the booking if you saw bookings dished out for that consistently.

Capt Mainwaring
18-10-2015, 12:43 AM
He gave the Hibe penalty fine, but how much more of a clear goal scoring opportunity was denied in the foul that should have been a Red card for the Dunbarton player??????

Incompetent Erse!

1875STEVE
18-10-2015, 04:01 AM

Was going to say the same thing. He was in the year above me at liberton high school, I knew him quite well. :na na:

I also remember him being a right poppy thief when he was younger as well.

He actually reefed a few games I played in before I stopped playing footy, then reffed quite a few of my brothers through the juniors over the years.

lucky
18-10-2015, 06:08 AM

Owning up does get you off with it. It should have been a yellow but he only did it because they complained.
For me it was his inconsistencies that made his performance really poor

bingo70
18-10-2015, 06:15 AM
If it was a big game and he never got booked for it the ref would be praised for showing common sense.

Don't know what's technically speaking correct but if you think of the reasons yellow cards were introduced it wasn't to stop that kind of thing. Iirc we gained no advantage from it and it looked to me like it was just a natural reaction.

Booking was harsh imo.

On a side note did anybody notice how the linesman on the east stand ran? I was poorless laughing at him running out for the second half, looked a but like a cross between Mr bean and Monty python.

bigwheel
18-10-2015, 06:57 AM
I must admit the only questionable decisions for me went in Hibs favour....not seen it again, but at the match , I thought the pen was a soft award...and I also thought Henderson on 2-3 occasions was lucky not to get a second yellow...

Carheenlea
18-10-2015, 08:05 AM
Some of this seasons officiating has been so wildly eccentric that it has been some added entertainment value to the matchday experience. Of course, it will only continue to be funny if we win the games in question.

craigmounthibby
18-10-2015, 08:23 AM
Wasnt it outside the box nearer the corner flag?

Yeah it was outside the box, near the corner flag. Smart play from Henderson and should def have been a goal.

Pretty Boy
18-10-2015, 08:32 AM
Yeah it was outside the box, near the corner flag. Smart play from Henderson and should def have been a goal.

Was it? They definitely took the retaken free kick inside the box.

Chalk that up as another 2 wrong decisions then.

NGP
18-10-2015, 08:47 AM

The free kick yesterday was outside the box. Dumbarton player played the ball, no doubt about it. He did not see Henderson. Goal should have stood.

malcolm
18-10-2015, 08:56 AM
The free kick yesterday was outside the box. Dumbarton player played the ball, no doubt about it. He did not see Henderson. Goal should have stood.

i thought he was maybe behind the byeline and not on the pitch when it was 'taken' which might have been a reason for it being not given?

NGP
18-10-2015, 09:02 AM
i thought he was maybe behind the byeline and not on the pitch when it was 'taken' which might have been a reason for it being not given?

Ball was on the pitch. Defender played the ball.

legends of 73
18-10-2015, 09:19 AM

If he had went to gracemount high he would have lost the use of his legs before the end of 1st year for being a jambo and we wouldn't have had that incompetent performance yesterday:greengrin:greengrin

O'Rourke3
18-10-2015, 09:29 AM

Any idea where he got his hatred of Hibs from? He was always giving terrible decisions to the opposition. His was the name I feared the most going to matches in his time....

emerald green
18-10-2015, 11:04 AM
Apologies EG I really should know better. Refs Ken whit's gaun oan!

The 3 certainties in life - death, taxes and crap refs!!

:agree: :aok:

Smartie
18-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Is it really the case that a free-kick for the defensive side has to leave the box?

I honestly never knew that.

I knew that that is the case from goal-kicks but never from free-kicks. I remember some outstanding scrambles in boys' football when a 'keeper duffed his goal kick and you'd have a defender and attacker waiting for it to trickle out the box so they can get to it first.

Also - what is the script with the position that free-kicks can be taken from in the box by the defensive side? Does it have to be on the spot that the foul was committed or can you take it anywhere within the box that you want?

macca70
18-10-2015, 11:54 AM
Is it really the case that a free-kick for the defensive side has to leave the box?

I knew that that is the case from goal-kicks but never from free-kicks. I remember some outstanding scrambles in boys' football when a 'keeper duffed his goal kick and you'd have a defender and attacker waiting for it to trickle out the box so they can get to it first.

Also - what is the script with the position that free-kicks can be taken from in the box by the defensive side? Does it have to be on the spot that the foul was committed or can you take it anywhere within the box that you want?

That was a joke, the offence was literally on the bye line or a yard at most off it, the linesman stood overseeing where the keeper was taking it from.

The keeper took it at least 10 yards from the bye line and the linesman and ref seemed to be fine with it.

Pretty Boy
18-10-2015, 11:56 AM

In the 6 yard box it can be taken from anywhere. Think the rest of the box it should be from the exact spot.

maturehibby
18-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Wow... Didn't know Liberton was even build in the 1800's 

Yes it was and I played in the first Liberton school football team after it amalgamated with the Inch - one of our players made it up to professional grade with Hearts and another one played professional down south circa 1960/61

Thecat23
18-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Yes it was and I played in the first Liberton school football team after it amalgamated with the Inch - one of our players made it up to professional grade with Hearts and another one played professional down south circa 1960/61

My dad was one of the first pupils in there as well when it was built in 59.

emerald green
18-10-2015, 05:30 PM
Well, having just watched some of the rugby it seems that incompetent referees are not confined to football.

The referee for Scotland's match also had the benefit of a TMO, but for reasons only he will know he awards a dubious penalty to Australia in the last minute to rob Scotland of a well deserved place in the World Cup semi-final.

Will he be asked to explain himself? Probably not. Even if he did, it's too late now anyway.

Sickening. Absolutely raging.

TrinityHibs
18-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Well, having just watched some of the rugby it seems that incompetent referees are not confined to football.

The referee for Scotland's match also had the benefit of a TMO, but for reasons only he will know he awards a dubious penalty to Australia in the last minute to rob Scotland of a well deserved place in the World Cup semi-final.

Will he be asked to explain himself? Probably not. Even if he did, it's too late now anyway.

Currently on suicide watch. Hibs and Scotland what have i done in a past life.:grr::grr::brickwall

emerald green
18-10-2015, 05:52 PM
Currently on suicide watch. Hibs and Scotland what have i done in a past life.:grr::grr::brickwall

:agree: Absolutely, TH. There's no justice sometimes.

JimBHibees
18-10-2015, 06:08 PM

Agree quite simply bent. The yellow card was harsh. Seemed as if someone had a word at half time. Penalty was atrocious decision.

Onion
18-10-2015, 06:30 PM
Agree quite simply bent. The yellow card was harsh. Seemed as if someone had a word at half time. Penalty was atrocious decision.

:agree: Yellow card, and outcome for Scotland was just too harsh. We're not one of WR's powerhouses and chances like these are rare.

Joubert scarpering off the pitch at the final whistle looked and felt like an unseemly getaway.

Gutted.

JimBHibees
18-10-2015, 06:32 PM
:agree: Yellow card, and outcome for Scotland was just too harsh. We're not one of WR's powerhouses and chances like these are rare.

Joubert scarpering off the pitch at the final whistle looked and felt like an unseemly getaway.

Gutted.

McGeechan summed it up perfectly can you imagine an All blacks winger get yellow in similar circumstances. Quite simply would not happen.

Pretty Boy
18-10-2015, 06:58 PM

Gutted.

Gavin Hastings and Kenny Logan going mental on Twitter. Essentially accusing the ref of being a coward.

I wonder if the way he scarpered off points to something a bit deeper, the Aussies must get through essentially. Wrestling fans may remember the Montreal screwjob and how the ref left the scene there for instance.

SON OF PADDY
18-10-2015, 07:01 PM
Was going to say the same thing. He was in the year above me at liberton high school, I knew him quite well. :na na:

I also remember him being a right poppy thief when he was younger as well.

He actually reefed a few games I played in before I stopped playing footy, then reffed quite a few of my brothers through the juniors over the years.

Colvin must have had a change of allegiance !!
Used to work with him for years he's a Celtic man " for his sin's " nice guy, **** ref !!!!

PatHead
18-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Always hated Rugby as I felt it was an "establishment" game. Basically corrupt and makes football look as though there are no favourites.

That referee backs up my point. Cheat, nothing more, nothing less.

ehf
18-10-2015, 10:32 PM
Always hated Rugby as I felt it was an "establishment" game. Basically corrupt and makes football look as though there are no favourites.

Craig Joubert; Craig Thomson's South African cousin.

Thecat23
19-10-2015, 05:46 AM

I think you may find football is one of the most corrupt sports on the planet. with FIFA and UEFA at the very heart of it.

weecounty hibby
19-10-2015, 06:00 AM
[QUOTE=PatHead;4484709]Always hated Rugby as I felt it was an "establishment" game. Basically corrupt and makes football look as though there are no favourites.

That referee backs up my point. Cheat, nothing more, nothing less.[QUOTE]

As someone who has played rugby for 33 years, and still do from time to time, that statement is beyond belief. I take it you haven't watched any news items recently involving FIFA and UEFA. Corruption ata level that makes Enron look like Disney princesses. Fifa and UEFA always back up the big boys, you only have to look at the "champions" league for evidence of this. That said Joubert was a total disgrace and got so many calls wrong yesterday. Even when asking the TMO for advice he got it wrong. Still feeling very sore about it this morning.

Deansy
19-10-2015, 07:48 AM
Until this league is decided, we will continue to get appalling refs every single game - it's blatantly obvious that they're under orders.

PatHead
19-10-2015, 10:03 AM
Anyone seen the The Rangers penalty yet? Boy is halfway through the air when he makes contact.

That is what we are up against.

easty
19-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Anyone seen the The Rangers penalty yet? Boy is halfway through the air when he makes contact.

That is what we are up against.

Are you having a laugh? It was a stonewaller, the defenders made an arse of that one.

I saw the highlights of the Celtc game too, they had two certain pens turned down. One of them for a handball that was as clear a handball as you're likely to see. Ref was shocking.

IrnBru22
19-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Are you having a laugh? It was a stonewaller, the defenders made an arse of that one.

I'll post a video later. The QOTS player pulled his leg away and didnt make any contact will halliday, clear dive

PatHead
19-10-2015, 02:25 PM
I'll post a video later. The QOTS player pulled his leg away and didn't make any contact will halliday, clear dive

That was my take as well. Halliday sticks his leg into the QoS player and then dived. The dive in itself is of Tom Daley class.