PDA

View Full Version : The Penalty

PatHead
17-10-2015, 06:23 PM
Good to see we finally got a penalty but why no red card? Obvious goal scoring opportunity.

O'Rourke3
17-10-2015, 06:26 PM
I'm going to need to see it again. I did see a defender handle the ball, Cummings didn't gain an advantage, so Ref awards the original pen.

BBC Mann reckoned he was cleared out by one of the defenders but to me it looks as though Jason went down....

matty_f
17-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Good to see we finally got a penalty but why no red card? Obvious goal scoring opportunity.

Said the same thing. If that wasn't a scoring opportunity then I don't know what is.

PatHead
17-10-2015, 06:29 PM
I'm going to need to see it again. I did see a defender handle the ball, Cummings didn't gain an advantage, so Ref awards the original pen.

BBC Mann reckoned he was cleared out by one of the defenders but to me it looks as though Jason went down....

Jason was bundled over just as he pulled his leg back to shoot.

Pretty Boy
17-10-2015, 06:30 PM
Was there not another defender right there as well? Also there was still a lot for JC to do from there.

Should have been a booking but never a red for a denying a clear goalscoring opportunity imo.

Onceinawhile
17-10-2015, 06:33 PM
It was at least a booking. I think there were two bookings all game and both for us, yet we got kicked off the pitch!

matty_f
17-10-2015, 06:41 PM
Was there not another defender right there as well? Also there was still a lot for JC to do from there.

Should have been a booking but never a red for a denying a clear goalscoring opportunity imo.

I thought Cummings was just pulling the trigger when he was fouled. If he's getting a shot away from there then it's a goal scoring opportunity imho.

Winston Ingram
17-10-2015, 09:54 PM

He was in in the middle of the box 8 yards from goal on his left foot. No the much. Last man is irrelevant. Denying a goal scoring opportunity is the offence.

Andy74
17-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Didn't even consider at the time that a card was merited. It was a bit of a bundle and quite soft and Im not sure Cummings ever had the ball under great control or that he was about to score. Need to see it again mind but I don't think there's any way it was a red card.

Unseen work
17-10-2015, 10:37 PM
Great penalty, so calm. Low and hard with the inside of his foot

Well done jason

Scouse Hibee
17-10-2015, 10:43 PM
Never a red card in a million years, bundled over in the box and the correct decision given.

overdrive
18-10-2015, 08:27 AM
Is that the first penalty he's taken since the play-off final shoot out?

B.H.F.C
18-10-2015, 08:29 AM
Is that the first penalty he's taken since the play-off final shoot out?

Scored one in the Petrofac Cup against The Rangers

lucky
18-10-2015, 08:38 AM
There were two defenders around him and one bumped into his back and JC went down. I thought at the time it should have been a pen and a booking.

GreenOnions
18-10-2015, 10:11 AM
There were two defenders around him and one bumped into his back and JC went down. I thought at the time it should have been a pen and a booking.

Agreed - I was right in line with it and Jason was definitely barged over. I don't think he could have stayed on his feet. It was a very clumsy challenge. Clear penalty but I didn't think a red card was merited due to the fact there was another defender there. It was the right call from the ref IMO.

PatHead
18-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Agreed - I was right in line with it and Jason was definitely barged over. I don't think he could have stayed on his feet. It was a very clumsy challenge. Clear penalty but I didn't think a red card was merited due to the fact there was another defender there. It was the right call from the ref IMO.

Not even a yellow? Be interested to see it again as I thought JC was about to shoot meaning it was a goal scoring opportunity. That means a red.

itslegaltender
18-10-2015, 07:05 PM
how many penalties did we get last season?

bigwheel
18-10-2015, 07:19 PM
To be honest, as a team we actually don't spend much time in the opposition's penalty box....so it's not a surprise we don't get many penalties.

MWHIBBIES
18-10-2015, 07:38 PM
how many penalties did we get last season?

Malonga vs Cowden
McGeough vs Livi
McGeough miss vs Livi
Farid miss? vs Dumbarton
Craig miss vs Hearts
McGeough vs QOTS

Can't think of many more.

Mr White
18-10-2015, 07:43 PM
Malonga vs Cowden
McGeough vs Livi
McGeough miss vs Livi
Farid miss? vs Dumbarton
Craig miss vs Hearts
McGeough vs QOTS

Can't think of many more.

Malonga "missed" v dumbarton at er a year ago. Crossed the line though imo and I was pretty much looking along the goal line.

MWHIBBIES
18-10-2015, 08:31 PM
Malonga "missed" v dumbarton at er a year ago. Crossed the line though imo and I was pretty much looking along the goal line.Right enough.

GreenOnions
18-10-2015, 09:09 PM
Not even a yellow? Be interested to see it again as I thought JC was about to shoot meaning it was a goal scoring opportunity. That means a red.

Yep - I think I'd need to see it again too re whether or not it merited a card. It happened quickly and I suppose I assumed the ref felt that, even if Jason was preparing to shoot, the other defender present may have been able to block it. The other defender was certainly nearer the goals than the one who barged over Jason.

PatHead
19-10-2015, 04:38 PM
Posted the STV highlights on the "Highlights" thread.

Cummings was definitely about to shoot when he was fouled. To me that has to be a card, I think red as it is a goalscoring opportunity.

Onion
19-10-2015, 04:56 PM

Having looked at it again, there was a covering player so the offender wasn't last man and it wasn't a clear scoring opportunity - just a trip in the box. No idea why the guy wasn't shown the yellow, though.

Alan62
20-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Having looked at it again, there was a covering player so the offender wasn't last man and it wasn't a clear scoring opportunity - just a trip in the box. No idea why the guy wasn't shown the yellow, though.
The 'covering player' is irrelevant. The notion of 'last man' is also irrelevant. Are people really saying that Jason didn't have a goal scoring opportunity with the ball in front of his left foot in the middle of the box? A 'goal scoring opportunity' doesn't mean 'an otherwise certain goal'. It means the opportunity to (perhaps) score a goal. That opportunity was denied when the defender trips him. For me, no matter how 'soft' you think that decision would be, technically the ref has to give a penalty and send the man off. The fact that he gave the penalty aknowledges the foul. The absence of a card suggests that the referee's interpretation was that the defender accidentally bundled Jason over and that he didn't think Jason was in a position to shoot on goal. Or that he took the view that reducing Dumbarton to 10 men would ruin the game - which, technically, he's not allowed to do.

Smartie
20-10-2015, 01:02 PM
I can't believe anyone would think the penalty challenge was worthy of a red card.

It was a foul, yes, and possibly a yellow but never a red card.

Do the rules not state a "clear" goalscoring opportunity?

Jason still had a lot to do. There was another man back and the opportunity was anything but clear. Not like a man breaking clear behind the defence and being taken out, a handball on the line etc.

Technically you could say that if you were able to hit the ball in the direction of goal 50 yards away and are fouled then it is denying a goalscoring opportunity, albeit a small one.

I was just pleased that we finally got a penalty because I think we've had some strong claims turned down this season.

Alan62
20-10-2015, 08:23 PM
In the Laws of the Game 2015 edition it says that the player will be sent off for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving
towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick.

So the debate can only be around the word 'obvious'. To me, it was an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

matty_f
20-10-2015, 08:57 PM
In the Laws of the Game 2015 edition it says that the player will be sent off for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving
towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick.

So the debate can only be around the word 'obvious'. To me, it was an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

If he doesn't get fouled he gets his shot away. About as obvious a goal scoring opportunity as it gets, imho.