PDA

View Full Version : Spursy (Hibsy)

Colr
15-10-2015, 07:30 PM
As a bit of a Spurs fan I was interested in this artile which, although painful reading in places, has a point about perenial under-achievement at White Hart Lane.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/11926332/Spurs-are-leaner-fitter-and-hungrier-under-Mauricio-Pochettino-and-England-are-feeling-the-benefit.html

Could make similar points about Hibs over the years recalling Pat Fenlon's observation that there was something a bit soft about the team.

Helmet on. Retreat 10 paces.

3pm
15-10-2015, 07:32 PM
Should be a giggle now Fenlon has been mentioned.

:flag:

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-10-2015, 07:46 PM
As a bit of a Spurs fan I was interested in this artile which, although painful reading in places, has a point about perenial under-achievement at White Hart Lane.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/11926332/Spurs-are-leaner-fitter-and-hungrier-under-Mauricio-Pochettino-and-England-are-feeling-the-benefit.html

Could make similar points about Hibs over the years recalling Pat Fenlon's observation that there was something a bit soft about the team.

Helmet on. Retreat 10 paces.

Spurs and helmets, very unusual! :-o

blackpoolhibs
15-10-2015, 08:13 PM
Spurs and helmets, very unusual! :-o

:tee hee:

Holmesdale Hibs
15-10-2015, 08:24 PM
Tim hat on as well, but id say we were more like Spurs when Mowbray was in charge. Good football, flair players, top 4 but ultimately won nothing (remember the cup was JC)

Under Fenlon/Calderwood/Butcher we were more like Newcastle or Sunderland - brutal football, support wanting every manager/board sacked, and certain to get relegated at some point.

I miss the days we were like Spurs, hopefully we're heading back in that direction at the moment.

swindonhibs
15-10-2015, 08:32 PM
Be it (bad) luck or judgment Spurs have been my English team since my da moved us down to England in the 80s when I was a young boy. Ever since then I have noted a symbiotic relationship between the 2 clubs; couple of league cup wins, penchant for good (if ultimately fruitless) football and top notch casual firms.
I also acknowledge the OPs statement that there is also a bit of a soft touch that both clubs share, witnessed throughout my life supporting both, however as I mature in age I appreciate that this isn't the case, we are simply punching our weight in the big scheme of things; mid to large clubs in their country but with a financial handicap and a complicit governing body adverse to gchange and a major interest in propolgating the status quo.

No matter, some of the best moments I have had have been supporting these famous, great clubs, and when those succsesses arrive, as distant as they were and as unlikely they appear, you know that as a fan they are so more victorious and celebrated .

Thecat23
15-10-2015, 08:33 PM
Should be a giggle now Fenlon has been mentioned.

:flag:

😂

jgl07
15-10-2015, 09:21 PM
I remember Spurs when they seemed to win everything: successive Championship wins inclucling a double. Bill Nicholson was manager and they had the likes of Danny Blanchflower, Jimmy Greaves, Dave Mackay, Cliff Jones, John White, etc.

It has been downhill all the way since 1963!

SquashedFrogg
15-10-2015, 09:41 PM
Tim :tee hee: hat on as well, but id say we were more like Spurs when Mowbray was in charge. Good football, flair players, top 4 but ultimately won nothing (remember the cup was JC)

Under Fenlon/Calderwood/Butcher we were more like Newcastle or Sunderland - brutal football, support wanting every manager/board sacked, and certain to get relegated at some point.

I miss the days we were like Spurs, hopefully we're heading back in that direction at the moment.

I like this though. Sums up nicely.

ED Hibee
15-10-2015, 10:25 PM
As a Hibee with Spurs as my English team I've also noted a fair few similarities. The Derby record is not great albeit with the odd stand out game like the Chelsea result last season and they also seem to have a great ability to follow up a good result against one of the top teams with a bad one against a team they should hammer.

O'Rourke3
15-10-2015, 10:37 PM
:tee hee:

Cough - welcome back......

GreenLake
16-10-2015, 12:07 AM
I got my Spurs fan wife a 3rd kit shirt which is purple like my Hibs away shirt.

Benny Brazil
16-10-2015, 04:56 AM
Spurs are my "other" team as well - seems to be a few of us on here

There are similarities between the two clubs - underachievement, playing football the right way etc and both have chairmen that the fans hate :greengrin

Colr
16-10-2015, 05:13 AM
Spurs are my "other" team as well - seems to be a few of us on here

There are similarities between the two clubs - underachievement, playing football the right way etc and both have chairmen that the fans hate :greengrin
How did Levy keep his job after wasting the Bale millions?

bigwheel
16-10-2015, 06:22 AM

Another Hibee Spurs fan....was an ST holder for a number f years when I lived in London....still a member so go and see them a few times each season..

I guess Levy is the Petrie of Spurs....he is the trusted guy - MD of the investment group who's main shareholder is Joe Lewis - almost immovable in his role....

The_Todd
16-10-2015, 09:31 AM

Baldini wasted the millions, and Baldini has paid with his job.

jacomo
16-10-2015, 09:42 AM
Baldini wasted the millions, and Baldini has paid with his job.

That's a bit of a cop out. Levy is heavily involved with player trading at Spurs. He's just not as good at it as he thinks he is.

Benny Brazil
16-10-2015, 08:02 PM

As bigwheel said - he is like Petrie is to Sir Tom - he is trusted by the owner/s.
I don't blame him fully for the money spent and some of the duff players that were bought although he signed off on the fees, I think it was Baldini and Villas Boas who were the main culprits.
They brought in a lot of players for a lot of money - I think only Lamela and Chadli are still there from that spree and actually playing in the first team.