PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Tweet

NAE NOOKIE
09-10-2015, 12:07 AM
Just seen a tweet shared on facebook from Celtic wishing the Republic of Ireland the best of luck tonight. I have no idea if its genuine or not, but if it is and considering the impact their result would have on Scotland:

WTF !!!

J-C
09-10-2015, 12:31 AM
Just seen a tweet shared on facebook from Celtic wishing the Republic of Ireland the best of luck tonight. I have no idea if its genuine or not, but if it is and considering the impact their result would have on Scotland:

WTF !!!

Seemingly real and they also wished Scotland well too.

Pete
09-10-2015, 12:48 AM
Brand Celtic strikes again. All they are doing is trying to keep their customer base happy by releasing good luck messages that will go down well.

The fact that these tweets contradict each other doesn't matter. Their political stances and fan movements/philosophies have been contradicting each other for decades.

They are phonies and deep down they know this, hence their desperate attempts to be accepted by so many.

Greencore
09-10-2015, 07:02 AM
"We're an Irish team" they will say. No they are a Scottish team with Irish heritage. I wonder if it annoys them that we have a more Irish name then their name.. Wouldn't be surprised. That's how sad they are.

Jim44
09-10-2015, 07:25 AM
Brand Celtic strikes again. All they are doing is trying to keep their customer base happy by releasing good luck messages that will go down well.

The fact that these tweets contradict each other doesn't matter. Their political stances and fan movements/philosophies have been contradicting each other for decades.

They are phonies and deep down they know this, hence their desperate attempts to be accepted by so many.

I'm surprised they didn't send one to the Polish team to cosy up to their many Polish Catholic fans.

lucky
09-10-2015, 07:29 AM
Who cares what they do? They always have & will play the Irish card.

Betty Boop
09-10-2015, 07:45 AM
Don't see why folk get so outraged by this. Celtic have a huge Irish fan base, so what's the problem? They also wished Scotland good luck.

Mikey09
09-10-2015, 07:53 AM
I'm surprised they didn't send one to the Polish team to cosy up to their many Polish Catholic fans.

Pope was sitting just along from me in the south stand last night! Was he guest of honour?! :saltireflag

green&left
09-10-2015, 08:12 AM

WTF !!!

Who gives a flying f....

Fair play to the Irish. They beat the world champions to ensure they'll go through to a qualifier at least, while we chucked it against the 110th best team in the world to hinder our hopes.

greenginger
09-10-2015, 08:30 AM
I suppose if they sent Scotland a " Good Luck " tweet as well its not a problem.

I wonder if they sent Northern Ireland one ! :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
09-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Not surprised. The number of the hun supporters congratulating NI on qualifying is also pretty sickening, especially coming from sites like ProddyNet or something similar. No Catholics in the NI team?

stokesmessiah
09-10-2015, 09:18 AM
For some bizarre reason i wandered onto Bears Den last night, and they were actively supporting Poland.

Bostonhibby
09-10-2015, 09:21 AM
Non Scottish followers of football teams based in Glasgow. Shame we're stuck with them.

GreenArmyyy!
09-10-2015, 09:23 AM
The old firm are the old firm, a bunch a waster reprobates that bring nothing to society, best ignored.

Andy74
09-10-2015, 09:29 AM
I generally find the responses to these things to be way more Sectarian than whatever the initial offence was supposed to be!

high bee
09-10-2015, 09:54 AM
For some bizarre reason i wandered onto Bears Den last night, and they were actively supporting Poland.

I asked a mate who is a Sevco fan if he wanted to watch the game at mine and he said "No, I've given up on Scotland 'cause of the way SFA have treated Rangers."

Really is beyond belief.

Sir David Gray
09-10-2015, 10:07 AM
Don't see why folk get so outraged by this. Celtic have a huge Irish fan base, so what's the problem? They also wished Scotland good luck.

You don't see a problem with the top club in Scotland wishing Ireland all the best last night when an Ireland victory over Germany was going to (at best) severely affect Scotland's hopes of qualification for Euro 2016, regardless of how Scotland got on in their match?

I don't know of any other club in world football that would have issued such a message, with the obvious exception of Sevco perhaps. Have they congratulated Northern Ireland yet on their qualification?

The sooner these two cancerous clubs leave this country, the better. I honestly hate the pair of them.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-10-2015, 10:31 AM
You don't see a problem with the top club in Scotland wishing Ireland all the best last night when an Ireland victory over Germany was going to (at best) severely affect Scotland's hopes of qualification for Euro 2016, regardless of how Scotland got on in their match?

I don't know of any other club in world football that would have issued such a message, with the obvious exception of Sevco perhaps. Have they congratulated Northern Ireland yet on their qualification?

The sooner these two cancerous clubs leave this country, the better. I honestly hate the pair of them.

Well said Trig. :agree:

.Sean.
09-10-2015, 10:41 AM
As others have alluded to, no good luck message for Northern Ireland and I'm certain the Welsh and English sides won't get one either.

I ****ing despise Celtic.

Colr
09-10-2015, 11:01 AM
"We're an Irish team" they will say. No they are a Scottish team with Irish heritage. I wonder if it annoys them that we have a more Irish name then their name.. Wouldn't be surprised. That's how sad they are.

But they want to play in England. Confused?

Lago
09-10-2015, 11:26 AM

WTF !!!
Much ado about nothing.

greenginger
09-10-2015, 11:27 AM
Not surprised. The number of the hun supporters congratulating NI on qualifying is also pretty sickening, especially coming from sites like ProddyNet or something similar. No Catholics in the NI team?

I don't know about Catholics in the NI team but last night the terraces were a sea of green shirts supporting the team.

I wonder if it causes any inner conflict when true blue supporters pull on a green shirt to support their country.

NAE NOOKIE
09-10-2015, 11:27 AM
Who gives a flying f....

Fair play to the Irish. They beat the world champions to ensure they'll go through to a qualifier at least, while we chucked it against the 110th best team in the world to hinder our hopes.

I do. This has nothing to do with the ROI qualifying and us not, as you say fair play to them. What it has got to do with is arguably Scotland's most high profile club sending a message of support to another country in direct competition with our national team for a place in a major tournament. If we had managed to make it, it would have given our game a massive and much needed boost.

I couldn't give a rats arse how many Irish supporters Celtic have .... they are supposed to be a Scottish football club and as a result fully behind Scotland's national team .... not sending good luck messages to the competition, no matter who they are. Hibs have a handful of Polish fans, some of whom were probably in the away end last night, they are very welcome at Easter Road and I love that they have chosen us as their Scottish club. But I would go mental if Hibs were sending their national team good luck messages when in competition with Scotland.

Lago
09-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Can we expect a tweet from rangers wishing England good luck tonight?

Lucius Apuleius
09-10-2015, 11:52 AM
I don't know about Catholics in the NI team but last night the terraces were a sea of green shirts supporting the team.

I wonder if it causes any inner conflict when true blue supporters pull on a green shirt to support their country.

:agree: Gives hope for the future.

Colr
09-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Can we expect a tweet from rangers wishing England good luck tonight?

Would they not be supporting NI?

KeithTheHibby
09-10-2015, 12:13 PM
I don't really see what Celtic were trying to achieve by tweeting anything to do with international football.

Betty Boop
09-10-2015, 12:16 PM

But they didn't just wish Ireland 'all the best', they wished Scotland good luck as well.

MJN1875
09-10-2015, 12:37 PM

WTF !!!

So what? I say good luck to them Wales and n Ireland, doesn't make me any less of a Scot.
It's Rangers who are the ****bags, and hearts!

steakbake
09-10-2015, 12:56 PM
I think the over-reaction to the tweet is probably more telling than the tweet itself.

BoomtownHibees
09-10-2015, 01:01 PM
I think the over-reaction to the tweet is probably more telling than the tweet itself.

No really an over-reaction though. Can you imagine any other club in the world wishing another country good luck when them winning would directly affect their own country??

Does anybody think that say Man Utd would send a tweet tonight to another country in England's group?

NAE NOOKIE
09-10-2015, 01:58 PM
No really an over-reaction though. Can you imagine any other club in the world wishing another country good luck when them winning would directly affect their own country??

Does anybody think that say Man Utd would send a tweet tonight to another country in England's group?

That's the point ....... Its not that Celtic's tweet was in support of Ireland, they have a large Irish fan base and if they had been in another group I would have no problem with it ...... If they want to send the FAI a love poem and a big bunch of flowers next summer I wont give a toss.

The point is that the tweet was wishing good luck to a team who were in direct competition with Scotland. I would not expect to see any Scottish club send a supportive message to one of our opponents, be they Ireland or Mongolia.

Kato
09-10-2015, 02:09 PM
A sporting "good luck" message sent in sport shocker.

NAE NOOKIE
09-10-2015, 02:16 PM
A sporting "good luck" message sent in sport shocker.

Aye right enough ..... When the league cup starts being played in group stages perhaps we should send good luck messages to the other teams in our group.

Its not that the message was sent, but when and who to, as you very well know.

Kato
09-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Aye right enough ..... When the league cup starts being played in group stages perhaps we should send good luck messages to the other teams in our group.

Its not that the message was sent, but when and who to, as you very well know.

Don't know about now but privately between clubs and certainly between players "good luck" messages were very common.

Whether you like it or not Celtic maintain some kind of link to Ireland. The "good luck" tweet to Scotland puts it in a sporting context.

Cant see why you're knickers are twisted over this.

JJP
09-10-2015, 03:48 PM
Amazing how some folk are trying to twist this into an anti-Ireland thing. Absolutely pathetic.

NAE NOOKIE
09-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Amazing how some folk are trying to twist this into an anti-Ireland thing. Absolutely pathetic.

Exactly ..... Its nothing to do with it being Ireland and everything to do with it being a group rival.

Sir David Gray
09-10-2015, 05:48 PM
But they didn't just wish Ireland 'all the best', they wished Scotland good luck as well.

Right but if Scotland and Ireland had both won last night, Scotland would still have been up against it to qualify as they would have been three points behind Poland with one game to play and Poland would have had to lose at home to Ireland in order for Scotland to qualify for the play offs.

I have never heard of a club side wishing a national side good luck in a match when their success would be to the detriment of the country that that particular club comes from.

Sir David Gray
09-10-2015, 05:54 PM

Exactly, I wonder if Stoke City would have tweeted a good luck message to Switzerland when they played England earlier in the group because Xherdan Shaqiri plays for them.

I don't think so somehow.

Pretty Boy
09-10-2015, 05:58 PM

Totally off topic but I'd be interested to know how many on the terrace last night were Catholic and/or Nationalists.

My experience is due to some of the sectarianism at Windsor Park many wanted nothing to do with the national team. It's never really been a problem in the dressing room but in the stands is a different matter.

truehibernian
09-10-2015, 06:00 PM
Celtic and The Rangers both leaving our leagues would be a shot in the arm for Scottish football in my opinion - it would also ensure that sectarianism is properly dealt with, due to sheer size of investment in the English leagues and the EPL - sponsors would not want sectarianism against their name so the authorities may clamp down quicker.........

Hearts got capacity crowds last season due to a winning team and formula...........Hibs would be no different if we can get to challenging The Rangers..........fans are there when teams are doing well and there is something tangible to win.

So let them leave - simple as that. They'd be awful in those leagues anyway, lower EPL and Championship at best. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs their head examined - Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City, Spurs..........neither would come anywhere near attracting players these sides get.

I had a chat with a 'tic fan recently who was giving it large 'Messi says Parkhead is the best he has experienced'............he then went on to say that if Celtic were in the EPL they would get players like that :aok:

They are both delusional clubs with a core of horrible supporters and agendas to suit themselves - so let them leave. :agree:

Bostonhibby
09-10-2015, 06:16 PM
I asked a mate who is a Sevco fan if he wanted to watch the game at mine and he said "No, I've given up on Scotland 'cause of the way SFA have treated Rangers."

Really is beyond belief.
Agree,staggering, after all this time they still don't call them the rangers, or at least use the right tense and refer to the now defunct Glasgow rangers.

By the way the sfa have helped rather than hindered the new boys; notably by allowing them to keep the busted flush clubs old honours.

givescotlandfreedom
09-10-2015, 06:47 PM
I'm not offended but do cringe a bit for them. Then again they started off by stealing from a club founded as a charitable organisation to help poverty amongst Irishmen so since when did they make any sense.

Mr White
09-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Totally off topic but I'd be interested to know how many on the terrace last night were Catholic and/or Nationalists.

My experience is due to some of the sectarianism at Windsor Park many wanted nothing to do with the national team. It's never really been a problem in the dressing room but in the stands is a different matter.

Rory Mcilroy was there :greengrin

Its not a big sample size but none of the northern irish catholics I know support the national team. It's a shame but I suspect there are a lot of people within the ifa and the supporters association who are quite happy about that sadly. If they wanted cross community support they'd pick a different tune for their national anthem for starters. They're too stubborn for that though.

greenlex
09-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Rory Mcilroy was there :greengrin

Its not a big sample size but none of the northern irish catholics I know support the national team. It's a shame but I suspect there are a lot of people within the ifa and the supporters association who are quite happy about that sadly. If they wanted cross community support they'd pick a different tune for their national anthem for starters. They're too stubborn for that though.
Interesting enough McIlroy has said he will represent Ireland at the olympics and not Great Britain.

Mr White
09-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Interesting enough McIlroy has said he will represent Ireland at the olympics and not Great Britain.

He's described himself variously as irish, British and northern irish. All true of course but interesting he's representing ROI at the Olympics though.

Pretty Boy
09-10-2015, 07:08 PM

Sure it's because golf is an all Ireland sport at amateur level so that's who he has represented for years.

He seriously considered not playing at all because he knows he can't really win either way. He got a bit grief a few years ago when a fan presented him with a tricolour and he threw it onto the ground and walked away. He's been far more sensible since.

Mr White
09-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Sure it's because golf is an all Ireland sport at amateur level so that's who he has represented for years.

He seriously considered not playing at all because he knows he can't really win either way.

Ah I see, makes sense now. Yeah he can't win either way there.

fatbloke
09-10-2015, 09:14 PM
The old firm are the old firm, a bunch a waster reprobates that bring nothing to society, best ignored.

Two cheeks of the same er5e.

ChicagoHibee
10-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Would they not be supporting NI?

Seeing how the NI manager is a RC, I highly doubt it.

J-C
10-10-2015, 02:45 PM

He seriously considered not playing at all because he knows he can't really win either way. He got a bit grief a few years ago when a fan presented him with a tricolour and he threw it onto the ground and walked away. He's been far more sensible since.

Very similar to Barry McGuigan, he always spoke of being Irish and not from one part or the other, he was loved from both parts of Ireland, interestingly, the Ireland rugby team is taken from all parts of NI and Ireland.

monktonharp
11-10-2015, 11:09 PM
I'm surprised they didn't send one to the Polish team to cosy up to their many Polish Catholic fans.how utterly sad.

monktonharp
11-10-2015, 11:12 PM
Amazing how some folk are trying to twist this into an anti-Ireland thing. Absolutely pathetic.think you started it

.Sean.
12-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Excuse my naivety, maybe due to my age, but is it basically the Catholics, be it from both the North and obviously the Republic, support just the ROI and the protestants support Northern Ireland?

Newry Hibs
12-10-2015, 12:14 PM
Excuse my naivety, maybe due to my age, but is it basically the Catholics, be it from both the North and obviously the Republic, support just the ROI and the protestants support Northern Ireland?

Pretty much. I think there are a few Catholics from the North who would take an interest in the NI team (and maybe even want them to do well). If they play each other though, I suspect they would go along the lines you mention.

Newry Hibs
12-10-2015, 12:18 PM

I agree. My Father in law would go to Windsor park in the midish 60s and 50s - but when the Troubles started didn't go. I think the sectarianism then was enough to stop people going. I suspect there weren't many Catholics / Nationalists present. I do think there isn't any specific / group sectarianism on the terraces anymore - they are probably more NI fans wanting their team to do well them be bothered with any other nonsense.

Newry Hibs
12-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Very similar to Barry McGuigan, he always spoke of being Irish and not from one part or the other, he was loved from both parts of Ireland, interestingly, the Ireland rugby team is taken from all parts of NI and Ireland.

A few years ago the Irish included a new song at matches -'Irelands call' - sung after the ROI anthem. Just noticed during the world cup that the ROI one isn't played.

Sir David Gray
12-10-2015, 02:11 PM

Yep, the Northern Ireland football team is, in the main, supported by the Protestant community. Mainly people who will frequent Ibrox every other week.

The Roman Catholic community mainly go to watch Gaelic football from what I remember and the others will support the Republic of Ireland.

JimBHibees
12-10-2015, 02:36 PM
A few years ago the Irish included a new song at matches -'Irelands call' - sung after the ROI anthem. Just noticed during the world cup that the ROI one isn't played.

I think they play both anthems when playing in Dublin.

Since90+2
12-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Yip. Ireland will play both A Soldiers Song and Ireland's call when at home in the Rugby but just Ireland's call when away.

majorhibs
13-10-2015, 10:05 PM
:agree: Gives hope for the future.

Been there recently? In the capital certainly, it is not very peaceful, or from a nuetral outside eye, hopeful.but maybe I was'nt seeing enough of the whole nation.

majorhibs
13-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Right but if Scotland and Ireland had both won last night, Scotland would still have been up against it to qualify as they would have been three points behind Poland with one game to play and Poland would have had to lose at home to Ireland in order for Scotland to qualify for the play offs.

I have never heard of a club side wishing a national side good luck in a match when their success would be to the detriment of the country that that particular club comes from.

Just come across your post. Exactly. NEVER happens. Anywhere. Show us examples! Listen this website nowadays is cluttered & no good like 10 years ago but for veterans we all ken hertz lowest then huns raced by tic but some on here nowadays let there personals in the way. One lowest at wrong end of Edinburgh. Thn if youd been kicked upside down & all over Scotland in 70s/80/s by huns you'd know easy who was 2nd. bottom but their followed extremly closely by thir soap dodging brethrens. Glesgae polis are probably 4th although not a fitba team, for allowing us as youngsters & buses to get such a kicking by huns when they could have intervened. But they liked the end result. Fitba in 70s grew you up quick. (Sorry digressed)