PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts from Santa Monica

ancient hibee
08-10-2015, 06:50 PM
Sitting on the balcony looking at the Pacific I wonder if you can think more logically about the Hibs when not caught up in the emotion of watching the game.So here goes.

Stubbs is building a premiership team at Hibs.
Warburton thinks he's doing the same but is building one for the championship-game against StJ as evidence.
This means Rangers will win the championship while we may find it easier to beat the premiership club rather than the other championship sides in the playoffs.

Speed is important in the championship-not the pace of individual players but speed in getting the ball in behind defences as early in the game as possible.This leads to poor defenders panicking and early goals and penalties.A championship winning team will win most of its games by half time.

We have a good counter attacking system but Rangers are the only team where we can rely on having the opportunity to play it.It worked a treat at Ibrox but the chances fell to the wrong man.If we score early we get more chances to play it unless the other team just wants to avoid a hammering.
Speed is not as important in the premiership-calmness and control of the ball are-we are very good at that and will do well when promoted.

We have a number of good defenders who play well under pressure.They probably look at their worst when they have nothing to do.

Letting Allan go was a mistake.He had the ability to do the unexpected which can win you games.The midfield we have has a number of strong players but they are a bit predictable.Stubbs should have played Allan in the first game against Rangers and challenged him to show why they wanted him.Not to do so was a bad mistake-it made the player look more important than he is and undermined Stubbs' control.Although he will have done well financially his agent has made a bad mistake taking him to Celtic.Allan will be unable to play the pressing midfield game the Celtic coaches demand and will become a bit part player.This will make sure he never gets a top club.

Californian wine is very nice but dear at $10/12 a glass and particularly so once the 18% tip and the 7% sales tax is added.What that does to the menu prices you start with is eye watering.

Holidays are good for helping you think of pretentious thread titles(and content).

BIGK
08-10-2015, 08:15 PM
Totaly agree regards the 2 squads . there is no boubt in my mind that we have the better spl squad than The Rangers. There good start has bred confidance that might see them through but the proof will be in the pudding.
There wine might be the dogs bits but at getting on for 14-15 dollars a glass:dizzy: all in , you need to be trying something else.

overdrive
08-10-2015, 08:46 PM
Get your erkie up the road to Napa for some serious wine.

Agree about Allan. I was all for punting him but we miss his cutting edge.

Baldy Foghorn
08-10-2015, 09:04 PM
Have we really missed Allan?

Dashing Bob S
08-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Sitting on the balcony looking at the Pacific I wonder if you can think more logically about the Hibs when not caught up in the emotion of watching the game.So here goes.

Warburton thinks he's doing the same but is building one for the championship-game against StJ as evidence.
This means Rangers will win the championship while we may find it easier to beat the premiership club rather than the other championship sides in the playoffs.

Speed is important in the championship-not the pace of individual players but speed in getting the ball in behind defences as early in the game as possible.This leads to poor defenders panicking and early goals and penalties.A championship winning team will win most of its games by half time.

We have a good counter attacking system but Rangers are the only team where we can rely on having the opportunity to play it.It worked a treat at Ibrox but the chances fell to the wrong man.If we score early we get more chances to play it unless the other team just wants to avoid a hammering.
Speed is not as important in the premiership-calmness and control of the ball are-we are very good at that and will do well when promoted.

We have a number of good defenders who play well under pressure.They probably look at their worst when they have nothing to do.

Letting Allan go was a mistake.He had the ability to do the unexpected which can win you games.The midfield we have has a number of strong players but they are a bit predictable.Stubbs should have played Allan in the first game against Rangers and challenged him to show why they wanted him.Not to do so was a bad mistake-it made the player look more important than he is and undermined Stubbs' control.Although he will have done well financially his agent has made a bad mistake taking him to Celtic.Allan will be unable to play the pressing midfield game the Celtic coaches demand and will become a bit part player.This will make sure he never gets a top club.

Californian wine is very nice but dear at $10/12 a glass and particularly so once the 18% tip and the 7% sales tax is added.What that does to the menu prices you start with is eye watering.

Holidays are good for helping you think of pretentious thread titles(and content).

Agree with all the above but would question the Californian wines. The whites are consistently overrated, while the reds generally lack the robust touch, of say, neighbouring Oregon.

Heisenberg
08-10-2015, 09:15 PM

Nope. We aren't any different now than what we were with him.

JimBHibees
08-10-2015, 10:04 PM

Don't think we do we are a better team without him talented as he is. Better balance now with Bartley, McGinn and Henderson.

JimBHibees
08-10-2015, 10:05 PM
Nope. We aren't any different now than what we were with him.

We are better.

jacomo
08-10-2015, 10:30 PM
Great post. Enjoy your trip. But the club's hand was forced on Allan once he said he was happy to go Celtic.

GreenLake
08-10-2015, 10:51 PM
Agree with all the above but would question the Californian wines. The whites are consistently overrated, while the reds generally lack the robust touch, of say, neighbouring Oregon.

I love most of your posts Bob and value the original thought which goes into them, but this time you are talking out of not much experience whatsoever. :greengrin

List bottles drank.

HibeesLA
09-10-2015, 05:03 AM

Welcome to my home town Ancient. It's going to be a lovely hot weekend in Santa Monica, make sure you wear sunscreen!

If you're going to drink in the hotel, or anywhere along Ocean Boulevard, be prepared to pay the tourist prices.

3pm
09-10-2015, 05:25 AM

Can't truly say that at this time IMO.

What we don't miss is the pish that we had to listen to / read about for those 4 or 5 weeks in the run up to him being sold.

BonnieFitbaTeam
09-10-2015, 09:35 AM
I love most of your posts Bob and value the original thought which goes into them, but this time you are talking out of not much experience whatsoever. :greengrin

List bottles drank.

Agree with Bob, disgree with you, GL.

Napa overrated, but Sonoma does a decent job; Russian River very drinkable indeed, for example.

To be fair though, I'm a Pinot man so Oregon's climate is better suited and their Pinot Noir is far superior as a result.

:cheers:

snooky
09-10-2015, 09:45 AM
What a bunch of winers. :rolleyes: :wink:

GreenLake
09-10-2015, 09:48 AM

Sonoma Wine Garden on the rooftop deck in Santa Monica Place (where Nordstrom and Bloomingdales are) does a Pinot Noir at $5 a glass during happy hour which is from 3pm to 7pm. :wink:

LancashireHibby
09-10-2015, 06:41 PM
1€ for a pint of Amstel here in Puerto de Santiago (Tenerife). Worth paying even though we're on all inclusive San Miguel across the road as at least the Amstel doesn't come in a diddy glass. Got another Hibby in our hotel though oddly I had more football chat with an old boy Rangers fan this morning.

GreenLake
11-10-2015, 10:26 AM
Agree with Bob, disgree with you, GL.

Napa overrated, but Sonoma does a decent job; Russian River very drinkable indeed, for example.

To be fair though, I'm a Pinot man so Oregon's climate is better suited and their Pinot Noir is far superior as a result.

:cheers:

I love Oregon Pinot.:thumbsup:

Stoller
Elk Cove
Ponzi

And from Washington state,

Belle Glos

From California I like.

Flowers
Goldeneye
Etude

I can't say I dislike wine from Napa but I like the regions you mentioned just as much. If I had to chose a favorite Pinot region it might be Carneros that seems to please me if named on unknown bottles ordered or bought.