PDA

View Full Version : Scotland v Poland match updates

Pages : 1 [2] 3

B.H.F.C
08-10-2015, 08:56 PM
He certainly doesn't need the money!
We were sitting good in this section pre the Georgia game. 1 point out of 9 has killed us

Late equalisers in both Poland games were killers as well. That's a big points swing if we don't concede them. If is a big word though.

Zazu62
08-10-2015, 08:57 PM
We haven't won a game away from home because we were to negative and to nice. End of

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2015, 08:58 PM
what would other managers be able to achieve ? the quality wasn't even there to string 3 passes together

possession 42% v 58%....give a team enough possession of the ball and they will eventually do something productive with it

two quality goals though :)

MJN1875
08-10-2015, 08:59 PM
The problem is the quality. We just don't have any stand out players and very little technical ability.
It's time to freshen that squad a bit.

We need more upfront especially.

Oh well, back to thinking about hibs!

Pretty Boy
08-10-2015, 08:59 PM
Late equalisers in both Poland games were killers as well. That's a big points swing if we don't concede them. If is a big word though.

Yep. Everyone will point to the Georgia game and to some extent rightly so but 3 points were there for the taking both tonight and in Dublin.

Far too many ifs and buts and the suggestion only 1 bad result/performance cost us is incorrect imo.

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2015, 09:00 PM
There has to be some sort of campaign for change within the sfa we're still in the dark ages in footballing terms and it's them and the cronies at the spfl keeping us there, greedy chairmen and guys in suits at Hampden can't be allowed to continue the game here needs a overhaul and we need people who can make proper decisions

cant disagree with any of that

Onion
On a side note, those were two of the best goals seen Scotland score in years. Because of the outcome, probably will never be shown again.

Bishop Hibee
Near Hampdump waiting for the bus to leave. Pissed off. What I would say is the fans knew we were out which totally changed the atmosphere. We would have roared them on and that can make a difference.

I'd sign Strachan up in a 2 year deal as apart from the Georgia game we've competed well. No better candidates out there.

bingo70
At least we won't see Salmond waving his saltire in France !.

Unbelievable post

Kato
08-10-2015, 09:02 PM
There has to be some sort of campaign for change within the sfa we're still in the dark ages in footballing terms and it's them and the cronies at the spfl keeping us there, greedy chairmen and guys in suits at Hampden can't be allowed to continue the game here needs a overhaul and we need people who can make proper decisions

Don't hold your breath.

We were promised that post-Argentina1978, which is was 37 years ago. Nothing's changed. The SFA's sole interest is placating the Old Firm. We go backwards while everyone else progresses.

Golden Bear
08-10-2015, 09:03 PM
The Irish play the Scottish game better than we do. The result in Georgia is where we lost it imo.

pontius pilate
08-10-2015, 09:06 PM
I would like to keep strachan but we really do need an overhaul both at the SFA/GFA and the players. I'd be inclined to drop Hutton D fletcher Maloney Brown and mulgrew and start to bring through some younger hungrier players like Gauld GMS Armstrong shinnie Rhodes and say to players like Morrison mccaurther whittaker you are the senior players and by hook or by crook you get us the results. I would even go and speak to commons and ask him to reconsider his position.

hibbysam
08-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Near Hampdump waiting for the bus to leave. Pissed off. What I would say is the fans knew we were out which totally changed the atmosphere. We would have roared them on and that can make a difference.

I'd sign Strachan up in a 2 year deal as apart from the Georgia game we've competed well. No better candidates out there.

'The fans new we were out'

Even although a win tonight guaranteed us a chance on Sunday?

Gordy M
08-10-2015, 09:07 PM
The Irish play the Scottish game better than we do. The result in Georgia is where we lost it imo.

Thing is even if we had beat georgia it still wouldnt be in our own hands. Bizarrely its losing twice to germany that has cost us compared to ireland (4 points) and poland (3 points).

MJN1875
08-10-2015, 09:08 PM

Totally agree, the whole game in Scotland needs changed from the leagues all the way up to the national team.

Suppose it's just like everything else in the world, run by corrupt clueless morons more interested in looking after themselves.

Scottish football could have taken some positive steps in the last few years at club and international level and we've gone backwards, sick of it!

Leithenhibby
Over the piece we got exactly what we deserved from this campaign.

When it really mattered we managed to take 2 points from a possible 12. You don't deserve to qualify with a record like that.

:top marks

Brightside
Time to just ignore international football....its basically rubbish and the SFA are doing very little to make it better.

MJN1875
08-10-2015, 09:09 PM
'The fans new we were out'

Even although a win tonight guaranteed us a chance on Sunday?

Knew

Sir David Gray
08-10-2015, 09:10 PM
We haven't won a game away from home because we were to negative and to nice. End of

Yep that's the difference.

Germany's away record;

Won-3
Drawn-0
Lost-2
Points-9

Poland's away record;

Won-2
Drawn-2
Lost-1
Points-8

Ireland's away record;

Won-2
Drawn-1
Lost-1
Points-7

Scotland's away record;

Won-0
Drawn-2
Lost-2
Points-2

There's the problem right there.

MJN1875
08-10-2015, 09:10 PM

Yeah but we will see David Cameron waving his st George's cross, great.....

Dashing Bob S
08-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Scotland didn't qualify because they are bloody awful.

Stax
08-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Pish, unfortunately, 2 worldy goals but utterly enivitable outcome. Ireland are brutal IMO but fair play to them. I'd like to say I don't give a sh** about international football but the wife & kids were jumping about daft for a change and really engaged in the game. We're being further detatched up here and our joke of a governing body have a lot to answer for. Don't know the answers but until The SFA start realising their primary job is not to indulge the old firm we're ****ed..

bingo70
08-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Time to just ignore international football....its basically rubbish and the SFA are doing very little to make it better.

Yeah that'll fix it and improve our game.

It's time for decent bloody investment, get indoor centres built, get our national broadcaster putting money in abd promote our game, stop drafting in second rate English to paper over the cracks, must be loads we can do but just ignoring the Mess we're in can't be the answer.

Thecat23
08-10-2015, 09:15 PM
Georgia game killed us.

Scorrie
08-10-2015, 09:16 PM

It's time for decent bloody investment, get indoor centres built, get our national broadcaster putting money in abd promote our game, stop drafting in second rate English to paper over the cracks, must be loads we can do but just ignoring the Mess we're in can't be the answer.

Agree. There are hundreds of games every Saturday in Scotland but the organization is inflexible - seniors - league and non league
, juniors, welfare, amateur etc. with all those players bound to be able to be a football force but need properly organized and investment in facilities and coaching. Iceland a great example of this

Hannah_hfc
08-10-2015, 09:16 PM
How many qualifiers is that now that Scotland have started brightly raising hopes of qualification and completely messing it up in the last games that count.

So frustrating. Still can't believe the score.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
08-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Missed the game,glorious failure again I gather.

The Harp Awakes
08-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Totally agree, the whole game in Scotland needs changed from the leagues all the way up to the national team.

Suppose it's just like everything else in the world, run by corrupt clueless morons more interested in looking after themselves.

Scottish football could have taken some positive steps in the last few years at club and international level and we've gone backwards, sick of it!

Yep, any other organisation that had failed repeatedly over such a long period of time like SFA has done, would be turned upside down and restructured. Instead the same old hangers on who have run the show for years remain in place and ruin our game.

The problem with football authorities is that they seem to be accountable to no-one. The corruption which has inlicted FIFA has been widely suspected for years but nothing was done about it until recently.

Thecat23
08-10-2015, 09:20 PM
Remenber when N. Ireland and Wales were horrific?!! What has happened to our national team? Our Scottish game as well is it dying a slow death?

Why are we so far behind now? Huge questions I think 99% of us could prob answer. Shame we will never see a shake up from grass roots.

Sir David Gray
08-10-2015, 09:21 PM

Just you focus on getting pumped out at the quarter finals stage again. :bye:

Kato
08-10-2015, 09:23 PM

Aye, guid yin.

The only way to do that is get rid of the SFA wholesale, move it out of the weej and start over, which isn't going to happen. I think people underestimate the lack of f**** the SFA give about the International team.

Brightside
08-10-2015, 09:23 PM

I don't mean the powers that be should ignore it...but its not for me until they start trying to fix it. Still far to many journey men non-footballers being ever presents in the squads. It doesn't change. We had a chance with Wotte and he chucked it. Bring another old boy in...no change.

Pete
08-10-2015, 09:24 PM

How's the rugby?

leggeto
08-10-2015, 09:24 PM
Can you ***** believe that

Scouse Hibee
08-10-2015, 09:25 PM
How's the rugby?

Like you I'm a football fan:-)

Scouse Hibee
08-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Can you ***** believe that

Yes

Pete
08-10-2015, 09:29 PM

Indeed but my interest in international rugby has increased recently.

Well, within the last hour.:greengrin

Thecat23
08-10-2015, 09:30 PM

End of the day you support your country and England have done the job! I'd be the exact same and being English can't be easy though ;)

leggeto
08-10-2015, 09:31 PM
Yes

Cant,3.56 into the 4 minutes of added that crept in,****in no real

Onceinawhile
08-10-2015, 09:31 PM
2 points from the last 12.

Pish
Pish.

Anyone got a number for Fergie?

ScottB
08-10-2015, 09:35 PM

If you go by the success of the other non English Home Nations, particularly Wales, it would certainly suggest scaling back our own efforts and shipping our youngsters to England en mass might get better results...

Carheenlea
08-10-2015, 09:36 PM
I`m an armchair/pub Scotland fan and that tonight was just sickening. It`s the guys who travel all over Europe and go to all the games at Hampden I really feel for. I`m missing out on the outside chance of a few nights in the pub watching Scotland in the Euros but these guys are missing out on the chance to travel to see Scotland compete in a major tournament yet again. Two of the best goals that will be seen anywhere tonight but all in vain.

EdinMike
08-10-2015, 09:37 PM

Says it it all really...

JimBHibees
08-10-2015, 09:40 PM
Supporting Scotland and hibs is brutal!

One day things will change.......

Very yammish comment

Carheenlea

Says it it all really...

That can`t be authentic surely?

Albion Hibs
And Tanner can GTF anaw.

Agreed with a minute to go he is claiming Germany could score two. Muppet.

JimBHibees
08-10-2015, 09:43 PM
So what bullcrap with WGS come out with after this latest debacle, who's to blame now ?? All talk about new regime, new players, attitude etc and same ****, sounds all too familiar for us Hibees.

Latest debacle wtf. Georgia was very poor. Performance and goals scored tonight were excellent and should have won bar an offside goal and farcical second goal

Hannah_hfc
08-10-2015, 09:46 PM
Just checked, it is real. It followed a tweet wishing the Scotland team luck as well.

Onceinawhile
08-10-2015, 09:51 PM

It is.

Onceinawhile
08-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Very yammish comment

No it's not ffs. It's perfectly honest.

Name another team that boots you in the baws as much as us and Scotland?

JimBHibees
08-10-2015, 09:54 PM

It is, man up ffs. Nothing to do with fate or luck you make your own by not acting like losers.

Thecat23
08-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Very yammish comment

It is true to be fair!! Supporting Hibs and Scotland means heartbreak and failure!!

Carheenlea
08-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Just checked, it is real. It followed a tweet wishing the Scotland team luck as well.

Covering all bases then.. Shouldn`t really be too much of a surprise to be fair. On a night of such bitter disappointment at least there are thousands of Scots absolutely delighted with the outcome. The same clowns who stand to attention for the Irish national anthem in the Celtic Club every home game.

JimBHibees
08-10-2015, 09:56 PM
It is true to be fair!! Supporting Hibs and Scotland means heartbreak and failure!!

Then you move on to the next game.

Dav1986
08-10-2015, 09:59 PM
Thing is even if we had beat georgia it still wouldnt be in our own hands. Bizarrely its losing twice to germany that has cost us compared to ireland (4 points) and poland (3 points).

That's kind of how I see it too. Couldn't have expected our main rivals to pick up 4 and 3 points out of 6 against the world champions.

Yes our away form wasn't good enough and yes we lost it partly in Georgia.

I see it that poland and ireland's results against Germany made the Georgia game look like it's the one that killed our chances.

Sir David Gray
08-10-2015, 10:00 PM

Says it it all really...

Incredible but hardly a surprise.

I really wish they would go the same way as their pals from the other side of the city and become insolvent.

ScottB
08-10-2015, 10:05 PM
That's kind of how I see it too. Couldn't have expected our main rivals to pick up 4 and 3 points out of 6 against the world champions.

Yes our away form wasn't good enough and yes we lost it partly in Georgia.

I see it that poland and ireland's results against Germany made the Georgia game look like it's the one that killed our chances.

True, but then it comes to, if Ireland are able to perform against Germany, why didn't we? I can accept Poland doing so, largely because of having talents like Lewandoski, but Ireland aren't any great shakes by comparison.

greenginger
08-10-2015, 10:06 PM

Says it it all really...

Wonder what the Celtic and Scotland captain thinks of it.

J-C
08-10-2015, 10:08 PM
Latest debacle wtf. Georgia was very poor. Performance and goals scored tonight were excellent and should have won bar an offside goal and farcical second goal

The debacle of yet another campaign that had disaster all over it, as has been said, our away record is crap and the Georgia game was god awful.

bingo70
08-10-2015, 10:10 PM
The debacle of yet another campaign that had disaster all over it, as has been said, our away record is crap and the Georgia game was god awful.

Would you replace strachan? If so any idea of potential replacements?

Pete
08-10-2015, 10:14 PM
Incredible but hardly a surprise.

I really wish they would go the same way as their pals from the other side of the city and become insolvent.

They'd just come back even more odious than before.

J-C
08-10-2015, 10:17 PM

It started ok, then went downhill quickly, his team selection at times is very dubious, players in position and certain players who should be no where near the team still playing, not giving youth a chance was very disappointing but to be fair, who else is there? After I said it I questioned it myself and there's little quality choices out there, McLeish? Moyes?

Dav1986
08-10-2015, 10:19 PM
True, but then it comes to, if Ireland are able to perform against Germany, why didn't we? I can accept Poland doing so, largely because of having talents like Lewandoski, but Ireland aren't any great shakes by comparison.

You could argue that we did away from home against Germany and could have deserved a point. Certainly had enough chances.

Tbh tonight's result wasn't necessarily a bad result if taken as a one off game. I'm more annoyed with the foul that we gave away for them to score the free kick. Needless foul which has cost us big time! At least we would still have had half a chance on sunday!

Haymaker
08-10-2015, 10:21 PM
France is pish in the summer anyway.

stoneyburn hibs
08-10-2015, 10:22 PM

I would if it meant that the next manager wasn't reverting to type and building a team that were given a chance to grow for a number of years together. Missing a few more tournaments won't really matter considering its been almost twenty years.

I don't know who that man is.

silverhibee
08-10-2015, 10:24 PM

Strachan & McGhee will be away next week.

Pete
08-10-2015, 10:27 PM

I wouldn't. It was a **** of a group and surely the footballing gods will be kinder to us next time.

Carheenlea
08-10-2015, 10:37 PM
I wouldn't. It was a **** of a group and surely the footballing gods will be kinder to us next time.

I hope Gordon Strachan continues for the next campaign. If there was a glaringly obvious candidate to lead our country then fair enough, let him take the reigns, but I don't see anyone who falls into that bracket. As you say, that was a stinker of a group and typically we are the fall guys.

steakbake
08-10-2015, 10:39 PM

What about McCall?

Brightside
08-10-2015, 10:45 PM

McGhee is a dino.

Brightside
08-10-2015, 10:46 PM
What about McCall?

He carried a watermelon.

majorhibs
08-10-2015, 10:58 PM

In Faro the nite. Absolute busted my b#¥ls to ride over Spain to be in Portugal for Sundays game! Now, I am leaving tomorrow. Hotel can have 3 days dough, ticket gone to the wind, tell you what, would rather my body ached plenty than give another second to these imposters I've had to put up with last few seasons. Listen, my bike gets sair after first 100/200 miles, but that is NOTHING compared to the last 35 years of misery that fitba has thrown at me. Football is FINISHED in my diary. It wont be missed.

Gordy M
08-10-2015, 11:06 PM
Have to say that the group results have been pretty 'freaky'. Even if we had taken 6 of georgia, 6 of gibralter, 4 of ireland and two draws with poland.....still wouldnt be in our own hands?? We would still be 4th! And id have taken that before the group started!!! Typical!

majorhibs
08-10-2015, 11:10 PM
Have to say that the group results have been pretty 'freaky'. Even if we had taken 6 of georgia, 6 of gibralter, 4 of ireland and two draws with poland.....still wouldnt be in our own hands?? We would still be 4th! And id have taken that before the group started!!! Typical!

If you cant take a place from oneill & keanes team you dont deserve a place.

Gordy M
08-10-2015, 11:12 PM
If you cant take a place from oneill & keanes team you dont deserve a place.
Whilst i agree they are not great, we beat them and drew with them....unlike the world champions who managed one point from them in 2 games....

SteveHFC
08-10-2015, 11:22 PM
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12108957_918126924891365_5134320638768726110_n.jpg ?oh=12885e99176773b1f82e9538c48862dd&oe=56D2622F

Shat myself after their first goal too.

A lot of Poland in the South upper tonight.

majorhibs
08-10-2015, 11:31 PM
Whilst i agree they are not great, we beat them and drew with them....unlike the world champions who managed one point from them in 2 games....

Therein lies what our new manager needs to address. Get the effing heads right so that points are picked up, same as others manage to do, when it's routine & when you KNOW the others in your group do! The other teams manage the points, why the F not Scotland? Anyway not my concern no more as I am done with it promising & not delivering. Had it.

Bristolhibby
09-10-2015, 01:13 AM

I've thought this too.

For me my particularly booted balls include

Hibs -
Livi Cup final
5-1
Relegation 98
Relegation 14 (the worst)

Scotland
Every time we lost to Wales
Italy 06
Czech Rep (4-6-0 & the home game 11)
Macedonia 1-0 in 08
Norway 09 (4-0)
Tbilisi last month
& now the whole manner of our exit tonight. You couldn't make it up.

I'm off tomorrow for a glorified friendly in Portugal. Will make the best of a couple of nights away on the beers with mates.

J

Bristolhibby
09-10-2015, 01:16 AM

That is worth noting. So really, other teams ****ed us over, or more accurately our top seed (Germany did the business against us, but lost to our rivals).

J

Scouse Hibee
09-10-2015, 02:45 AM
What amazes me is the surprise expressed at not qualifying. Every man and his dog in England knew at the start that Scotland wouldn't qualify.You guys really have to lower your expectation levels.

heretoday
09-10-2015, 03:33 AM
I am not surprised we are out. The players are just not good enough and lack the passing skills of other teams. Does it matter? No, but it's a constant source of frustration and that's bad for us all.

Beefster
09-10-2015, 05:53 AM
Wonder what the Celtic and Scotland captain thinks of it.

He's probably quite happy with the two tweets he/Scotland got wishing them luck. I don't see the issue other than folk jumping the gun and assuming that there were no tweets wishing Scotland luck.

Hiber-nation
09-10-2015, 06:04 AM
What amazes me is the surprise expressed at not qualifying. Every man and his dog in England knew at the start that Scotland wouldn't qualify.You guys really have to lower your expectation levels.

Why shouldn't we finish above Ireland? We took 4 points from them. Lower your expectation levels, have a word, eh?

HH81
09-10-2015, 06:15 AM

England will be out first round in france though hardly worth bothering turning up.

Thecat23
09-10-2015, 06:31 AM
In Faro the nite. Absolute busted my b#¥ls to ride over Spain to be in Portugal for Sundays game! Now, I am leaving tomorrow. Hotel can have 3 days dough, ticket gone to the wind, tell you what, would rather my body ached plenty than give another second to these imposters I've had to put up with last few seasons. Listen, my bike gets sair after first 100/200 miles, but that is NOTHING compared to the last 35 years of misery that fitba has thrown at me. Football is FINISHED in my diary. It wont be missed.

Stay out there mate and enjoy the sunshine. I wouldn't let them ruin the hol that's for sure!

Thecat23
09-10-2015, 06:35 AM

Lower our expectation levels? That's rich coming from an Englishman, every tournament you's go into its "we can win it" England are horse **** and will never win the Euro's or World Cup that I'm certain.

But we had a real chance to qualify and we blew it simple as that. Nothing to do with expectation levels!!

Ronniekirk
09-10-2015, 06:36 AM
Why shouldn't we finish above Ireland? We took 4 points from them. Lower your expectation levels, have a word, eh?

We didn't finish above Ireland because we couldn't take care of other teams in the group We have consistently failed to qualify for the Finals of World Cup and European competitions for far too long .
That in itself lowers expectations if you are being objective .We simply are not producing world class players with the skill needed at this level .
There is no problem with fans having expectations ,but the reality is staring us in the face .These expectations are not and have not been met for so long despite think tanks and all the other ideas tried by the S F A
There really now has to be a rethink of what the grass roots issues are and plans to address these or the Wilderness Years will continue and we will remain a country others will be content to draw in thier group knowing we do glorious failure better than anyone .

And just for the record I take no pleasure from making this post ,but we are where we are and it ain't a good place to be .

Gus
09-10-2015, 06:41 AM
England will be out first round in france though hardly worth bothering turning up.

Would much rather be there and get knocked out then to not qualify.

Cabbage East
09-10-2015, 06:51 AM

Imagine spending so much time and energy trying to 'wind people up' on the Internet. Can only imagine how sad someone must be to do that. I'd feel genuinely sorry for someone that did that.

marinello59
09-10-2015, 06:53 AM
Imagine spending so much time and energy trying to 'wind people up' on the Internet. Can only imagine how sad someone must be to do that. I'd feel genuinely sorry for someone that did that.

It's banter, he's an England fan. He gets plenty back.

twiceinathens
09-10-2015, 06:55 AM

Unlike the Media south of the border which come every world cup in either rugby or football, every champions league season every cricket series ignores history and is amazed when Engand do not triumph. And yes I do recognise that in a series of sharply contrasting matches they had 3-2 win in a competition restricted to two teams which given past experience should result in a major contribution the next honours list.

Danderhall Hibs
09-10-2015, 06:57 AM

It's no fair though cos he gets so many more bites.

marinello59
09-10-2015, 07:02 AM
It's no fair though cos he gets so many more bites.

:greengrin

Aldo
09-10-2015, 07:04 AM
The biggest issue for me last nite is why Darren Fletcher stayed on the pitch for 73 minutes.

James McArthur should of started plain and simple. Empty jersey for the whole time he was on but is really good at one thing and that's pointing!

Hutton as well OMG how many times is h going to get caught waaay out of position. I so wanted us to win but we deserved what we got in the end IMHO.

Why was Robertson not playing LB with Whittaker on the right??

Maybe next time??

Scouse Hibee
09-10-2015, 07:05 AM

Yep can dish it out and take it. :-)

stantonhibby
09-10-2015, 07:06 AM
The biggest issue for me last nite is why Darren Fletcher stayed on the pitch for 73 minutes.

James McArthur should of started plain and simple. Empty jersey for the whole time he was on but is really good at one thing and that's pointing!

Hutton as well OMG how many times is h going to get caught waaay out of position. I so wanted us to win but we deserved what we got in the end IMHO.

Maybe next time??

How many times.....its "should have" !!

Danderhall Hibs
09-10-2015, 07:08 AM

:agree: also it's :greengrin

Aldo
09-10-2015, 07:08 AM

So ree Sir! Should you not be on your way to school to teach proper England and gramification!! ;-)

Should of would if could of!!!

Aldo
09-10-2015, 07:09 AM
:agree: also it's :greengrin

Chortle!!

It must me great being perfect!! ;-)

Danderhall Hibs
09-10-2015, 07:10 AM
Chortle!!

It must me great being perfect!! ;-)

It's a bit of a curse at times tbh.

HH81
09-10-2015, 07:15 AM
Yep can dish it out and take it. :-)

Incorrect.

Scouse Hibee
09-10-2015, 07:15 AM

I'm honoured you feel sorry for me :-)

Scouse Hibee
09-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Incorrect.

Now now no name calling.

HH81
09-10-2015, 07:17 AM
Now now no name calling.

The truth hurts. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
09-10-2015, 07:18 AM
The truth hurts. :greengrin

:-)

Benny Brazil
09-10-2015, 07:24 AM

To be fair - every man and his dog in Engerland thinks they will win every major tournament but it never happens so I wont lose too much sleep about what they think.

Probably most Scots thought at the start it would be a tough ask to even get a play off spot. Expectations were raised mid way through the group after some decent results and then in typical Scottish fashion we blow it in the last three games.

As Ronnie said earlier - we need to really look at the whole structure of Scottish football from grassroots level upwards, look at how we are coaching young players, look at the facilities etc.
For me its not about whether Strachan goes or not - the faceless names in charge of our game need emptied and we get people in who know about the game - people like Fergie Dalglish etc on a consultancy basis not be in charge but just to advise on what our structure should look like.

Kato
09-10-2015, 07:35 AM

No matter if he's on the wind-up or not - he's bang on.

ACLeith
09-10-2015, 07:51 AM

His yellow card when he fouled Lewandowski on the touchline when he just needed to hold him up proved that his number of brain cells = the number of hairs on his head. :rolleyes:

Aldo
09-10-2015, 07:52 AM
His yellow card when he fouled Lewandowski on the touchline when he just needed to hold him up proved that his number of brain cells = the number of hairs on his head. :rolleyes:

We all laughed at that moment!

Aldo
09-10-2015, 07:53 AM
It's a bit of a curse at times tbh.

Sure you'll manage though!!

Mikey09
09-10-2015, 08:07 AM

Absolutely correct! Hutton is a bomb scare. Playing as a winger in front of him, or a CH beside him must be a nightmare. How can a football player get caught ball watching at international level? He gets attracted to the ball like a frickin moth to a light.

AndyM_1875
09-10-2015, 08:17 AM
To be fair - every man and his dog in Engerland thinks they will win every major tournament but it never happens so I wont lose too much sleep about what they think.

Nah they really don't Benny. The only ones who think that are the clowns in the media like the tabloids and those fruit cakes on talkSport.

Most England fans (I sit with 2 at Easter Road) think if they get out of their group at a tournament and make the QF stage in any tournament they're doing well.

I'm a Scotland fan and I go to the home matches but we really need to take a reality check here. Going into tournaments "hoping for the best" and blaming "bad luck" simply does not cut it any more for me. We are out of the Euros because we could not beat a dreadful Georgia side away from home and we allowed ourselves to be pushed around in Dublin for half the match by an Ireland team whose style of football would make your eyes bleed. The support and the team need to man up more. Games like last night should have been played at Celtic Park, not the atmosphere killing Hampden.

Since90+2
09-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Nah they really don't Benny. The only ones who think that are the clowns in the media like the tabloids and those fruit cakes on talkSport.

Most England fans (I sit with 2 at Easter Road) think if they get out of their group at a tournament and make the QF stage in any tournament they're doing well.

I'm a Scotland fan and I go to the home matches but we really need to take a reality check here. Going into tournaments "hoping for the best" and blaming "bad luck" simply does not cut it any more for me. We are out of the Euros because we could not beat a dreadful Georgia side away from home and we allowed ourselves to be pushed around in Dublin for half the match by an Ireland team whose style of football would make your eyes bleed. The support and the team need to man up more. Games like last night should have been played at Celtic Park, not the atmosphere killing Hampden.

Agree with your last point about games being played at Celtic Park. Was at the Ireland game that was played there and the atmosphere was outstanding.
Who knows how we would have got on against the Germans if it was played there :confused:

Would never happen though. Too much money invested in the white elephant that is Hampden.

steakbake
09-10-2015, 08:35 AM
Half fear the fandans at the SFA are already whispering Allu McCoist's name in their "corridors of power".

worcesterhibby
09-10-2015, 08:38 AM

Liverpool and England fan suggesting that our best days are behind us and that we should lower our expectation levels....If Carlsberg did irony !!!

By the way have you noticed that Liverpool have pretty much never one anything without a Scot in their team or as manager...I haven't checked the facts..but other than the 2005 Champions league, which everyone knows was a weird fluke, I don't think they have, not a tin cup. Never mind Klopp, you guys need a scot..you just can't do it without us. :wink:

--------
09-10-2015, 08:41 AM
Indeed but my interest in international rugby has increased recently.

Well, within the last hour.:greengrin

Don't worry, Peter. You'll be cured of all that by Sunday evening. The egg-chuckers'll almost certainly be out of THEIR competition by then.

Barring miracles, that is. :devil:

worcesterhibby
09-10-2015, 08:41 AM
Ok here is how we change things to make Scotland a force again...

Forget football...follow Tennis

simple

--------
09-10-2015, 08:42 AM
Ok here is how we change things to make Scotland a force again...

Forget football...follow Tennis

simple

2 tennis players don't make a nation.

In this case, they make one family.

TrinityHibs
09-10-2015, 08:46 AM
Don't worry, Peter. You'll be cured of all that by Sunday evening. The egg-chuckers'll almost certainly be out of THEIR competition by then.

Barring miracles, that is. :devil:

Not sure that beating Samoa would be classed as a miracle. If they do they'll have one more game and then out as they would be playing Australia.

Brightside
09-10-2015, 08:47 AM

Maybe next time??

Fletcher played like a 20yo compared to Broon. Our midfield has lost us far too many goals this years. Loads of good young central mids available to Scotland.

I agree about the Hutton and also the two CHs are the traditional CHs that some on this board have wet dreams about...ie piyesh and as slow as ****. Russell Martin had made only one foul up to last nights game. Thats a real statisitic. Now thats not becuase he's a great tackler, its simply coz he;s never been near a striker in the last 8 games. They are both flat footed and can't pass a 15yrd ball.

J-C
09-10-2015, 08:51 AM
Not sure that beating Samoa would be classed as a miracle. If they do they'll have one more game and then out as they would be playing Australia.

The Scotland rugby team's only target this year was to qualify from the group, anything more was always going to be a bonus, we know our place in the grand scheme of things.

Lucius Apuleius
09-10-2015, 09:05 AM
The Scotland rugby team's only target this year was to qualify from the group, anything more was always going to be a bonus, we know our place in the grand scheme of things.

Correct. We will I would imagine be beaten in the quarters thereby playing to our proper place in the grand scheme of things, same as Scotland football team, we finished fourth where we should have finished according to the seedings. However, most games we have played in this campaign have been a lot more enjoyable than previous campaigns. I also think it would be wrong to sack Strachan personally.

Mikey09
09-10-2015, 09:07 AM
It was very funny the silence coming from "The Fletcher Haters" last night coming home. :faf:
Boy had a great game.

--------
09-10-2015, 09:13 AM

True. Samoa IS even smaller than Scotland and we SHOULD in all conscience beat them.

But then the same could have been said of Costa Rica in Italia '90 ....

Don't you find it very strange that the only wee team that NEVER seems to pull of a surprise result against a big team (not one that really matters competitively, anyway) is Scotland?

JimBHibees
09-10-2015, 09:17 AM
True. Samoa IS even smaller than Scotland and we SHOULD in all conscience beat them.

But then the same could have been said of Costa Rica in Italia '90 ....

Don't you find it very strange that the only wee team that NEVER seems to pull of a surprise result against a big team (not one that really matters competitively, anyway) is Scotland?

Hey we beat France home and away a few years back and still managed not to qualify after losing to our nemesis Georgia again :greengrin :faf:

Danderhall Hibs
09-10-2015, 09:20 AM
Hey we beat France home and away a few years back and still managed not to qualify after losing to our nemesis Georgia again :greengrin :faf:

Holland 1-0 at hampden in the playoffs as well.

Won't talk about the return leg.

--------
09-10-2015, 09:21 AM
Correct. We will I would imagine be beaten in the quarters thereby playing to our proper place in the grand scheme of things, same as Scotland football team, we finished fourth where we should have finished according to the seedings. However, most games we have played in this campaign have been a lot more enjoyable than previous campaigns. I also think it would be wrong to sack Strachan personally.

Lucius, do you think we might apply this same principle of moderation and reason to the work Alan Stubbs is doing at ER?

Strachan has a squad of pigs' ears (more disciplined and organised pigs' ears than previously, I grant you, but pigs' ears nonetheless), and to expect him to turn them all into silk purses in the time he's been manager would be totally unreasonable. I don't think the wee man should be sacked, either.

Anyone yelling for him to go is an idiot.

Brightside
09-10-2015, 09:22 AM
It was very funny the silence coming from "The Fletcher Haters" last night coming home. :faf:
Boy had a great game.

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut in winter.

JimBHibees
09-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Holland 1-0 at hampden in the playoffs as well.

Won't talk about the return leg.

Yep were we not 4 down in about 15 mins. :greengrin

Mikey09
09-10-2015, 09:33 AM
Even a blind squirrel can find a nut in winter.

Have to disagree mate. The problem is glaringly obvious re Fletch. To many times CH's or FB's batter balls to his head or into channels.. Happened for most of the first half last night. You seen Fletch telling Ritchie and others to play the same ball but to his chest or feet. Different player after that. Held it up, brought others into play, scored a belter. If we learn to play to his strengths, just like other nations do with there top players, then we will get more performances like that from him.

jdships
09-10-2015, 10:00 AM
In the cold light of day when the draw was made how many posters can honestly say their first comment was " we will qualify "?
Certainly wasn't mine !!
Bottom line in our modern International teams there is a lack of " Natural Talent"
Any number of " good" hard working Pro's but a complete lack of " top class " talent
Can't blame Strachan as he has to use what is put in front of him !!

:rolleyes:

CockneyRebel
09-10-2015, 10:02 AM

Every cloud .......

CockneyRebel
09-10-2015, 10:06 AM
What a stupid stupid post

Oh dear

CockneyRebel
09-10-2015, 10:11 AM
what would other managers be able to achieve ? the quality wasn't even there to string 3 passes together

possession 42% v 58%....give a team enough possession of the ball and they will eventually do something productive with it
two quality goals though :)

Martin O'Neil has done a fair job with a distinctly average squad

JimBHibees
09-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Martin O'Neil has done a fair job with a distinctly average squad

Would disagree with this they have a number of decent EPL teams and the style of football is atrocious. He can motivate and get them working however they have had a fair amount of breaks in this qualifying campaign IMO.

Colr
09-10-2015, 10:16 AM
In the cold light of day when the draw was made how many posters can honestly say their first comment was " we will qualify "?
Certainly wasn't mine !!
Bottom line in our modern International teams there is a lack of " Natural Talent"
Any number of " good" hard working Pro's but a complete lack of " top class " talent
Can't blame Strachan as he has to use what is put in front of him !!

:rolleyes:

Small countries only need 2 or 3 world class players to make an impact. Wales have Bale and Ramsey. We did have Dalglish, Souness and Leighton.

Currently, we have none.

CockneyRebel
09-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Unlike the Media south of the border which come every world cup in either rugby or football, every champions league season every cricket series ignores history and is amazed when Engand do not triumph. And yes I do recognise that in a series of sharply contrasting matches they had 3-2 win in a competition restricted to two teams which given past experience should result in a major contribution the next honours list.

What the hell is that all about?

CockneyRebel
09-10-2015, 10:32 AM

Probably most Scots thought at the start it would be a tough ask to even get a play off spot. Expectations were raised mid way through the group after some decent results and then in typical Scottish fashion we blow it in the last three games.

As Ronnie said earlier - we need to really look at the whole structure of Scottish football from grassroots level upwards, look at how we are coaching young players, look at the facilities etc.
For me its not about whether Strachan goes or not - the faceless names in charge of our game need emptied and we get people in who know about the game - people like Fergie Dalglish etc on a consultancy basis not be in charge but just to advise on what our structure should look like.

I think your'e mixing up "every man and his dog" with the crap English media - most England fans know the limitations of the national squad although maybe some get carried away with the hype (remember Ally McCloud?)

J-C
09-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Boy had a great game.

Don't think anyone hated Fletcher, just the fact Strachan was continually picking a player who couldn't even get a game for a struggling Sunderland team and Griffiths, the man on form wasn't getting a look in.

Lucius, do you think we might apply this same principle of moderation and reason to the work Alan Stubbs is doing at ER?

Strachan has a squad of pigs' ears (more disciplined and organised pigs' ears than previously, I grant you, but pigs' ears nonetheless), and to expect him to turn them all into silk purses in the time he's been manager would be totally unreasonable. I don't think the wee man should be sacked, either.

Anyone yelling for him to go is an idiot.

I don't we should get rid of Strachan either as there is no one better to take his place. His team selection and tactics in certain games has to come into question though, to continue with Hutton and Darren Fletcher when it's plain to see they offer nothing and are finished.

Scorrie
09-10-2015, 10:40 AM
Small countries only need 2 or 3 world class players to make an impact. Wales have Bale and Ramsey. We did have Dalglish, Souness and Leighton.

Currently, we have none.

True but how many do Northern Ireland have? I counted 4 SPL players in their team last night and they have won their group.

Mikey09
09-10-2015, 10:55 AM
True but how many do Northern Ireland have? I counted 4 SPL players in their team last night and they have won their group.

Surely you have to look at the group they were in. I think it's fantastic they have qualified but I would give us a huge chance of qualifying from a group containing Hungary, Romania, Finland, Greece and The Faroe Islands.

Lago
09-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Surely you have to look at the group they were in. I think it's fantastic they have qualified but I would give us a huge chance of qualifying from a group containing Hungary, Romania, Finland, Greece and The Faroe Islands.
Really, ever the optimist you.

Colr
09-10-2015, 11:43 AM

Faroe Isles (shudder!!)?

Beefster
09-10-2015, 11:46 AM
I don't we should get rid of Strachan either as there is no one better to take his place. His team selection and tactics in certain games has to come into question though, to continue with Hutton and Darren Fletcher when it's plain to see they offer nothing and are finished.

It's impossible to say that there is no one better because it's practically impossible to tell how good a job someone will do. Michael O'Neill was managing Shamrock Rovers before Northern Ireland. More accurate to say that you can't think of anyone that you think would do a better job.

Strachan will keep his job but IMHO he's been pretty mediocre thus far.

silverhibee
09-10-2015, 11:50 AM
So the scapegoat has been found.

Is he Scottish though, looks a tad Polish to me.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/pictured-scotland-fan-invades-hampden-6601497

steakbake
09-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Faroe Isles (shudder!!)?

Finished with their best points total ever with 6 in the bag.

steakbake
09-10-2015, 11:57 AM

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/pictured-scotland-fan-invades-hampden-6601497

Yeah, looks like he has a Poland jersey on under his coat.

The pishy grey trakkie trousers though, definitely a custom he's picked up here! ;-)

stantonhibby
09-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Yeah, looks like he has a Poland jersey on under his coat.

The pishy grey trakkie trousers though, definitely a custom he's picked up here! ;-)

It's the Scotland away top.

lyonhibs
09-10-2015, 12:05 PM
Well well. Onwards and sort of sideways for a long weekend in Portugal it is.

The kind of **** that - even by Scottish standards - you couldn't script but there we are.

J-C
09-10-2015, 12:06 PM
It's impossible to say that there is no one better because it's practically impossible to tell how good a job someone will do. Michael O'Neill was managing Shamrock Rovers before Northern Ireland. More accurate to say that you can't think of anyone that you think would do a better job.

Yep, probably better put than what I said and meant.

Out of curiosity, how close to becoming our manager was Michael O'Neill? we plumped for Pat Fenlon but was O'Neill ever interviewed, I know he was a strong candidate on this forum and was one that many on here wanted at the time, if so did we make a mistake and miss out on him.

--------
09-10-2015, 12:11 PM

Or Wales?

What exactly do you see about him that's "a tad Polish"? Just looks like a daft laddie to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how does the Daily Record make out that the referee adding a minute to the end of the game to make up for the minute wasted by this kid's pitch invasion mean that it's his fault Scotland lost? If he hadn't run on to the pitch wouldn't we just have got to the decisive free-kick a minute earlier than we did?

So the kid kept Scotland in the tournament a minute longer than the team could have. :greengrin

BTW - are the people at the Record trying to get the kid beaten up? Asking for an identification? Wanting his name?

Colr
09-10-2015, 12:11 PM

Do I remember correctly or did the Tache not consider approaching Michael O' Neil for the Hibs but went for Pat Fenlon instead?

steakbake
09-10-2015, 01:04 PM
It's the Scotland away top.

So it is...

Anyhow, pretty reckless of the Daily Record to try to pin it on him.

Scotland's undoing was not because of some fool running onto the pitch and giving Poland extra time to score the equaliser.

We could as much blame the player who made the daft challenge leading up to the free-kick, or the various chances we spurned not to go 3-1 up... or overall, the fact we picked up only 12 points.

--------
09-10-2015, 01:05 PM
Do I remember correctly or did the Tache not consider approaching Michael O' Neil for the Hibs but went for Pat Fenlon instead?

Who knows? O'Neil was mentioned as a possibility at that time, but whether there was ever a genuine approach to him I don't think we'll ever know.

Was it just rumour, misdirection, misinformation or whatever?

Petrie should have been a character in a Le Carré novel. Except no one would have believed Le Carré wasn't taking the story-line far too far.

BoomtownHibees
09-10-2015, 01:17 PM
Who knows? O'Neil was mentioned as a possibility at that time, but whether there was ever a genuine approach to him I don't think we'll ever know.

Petrie should have been a character in a Le Carré novel. Except no one would have believed Le Carré wasn't taking the story-line far too far.

I spoke to Michael about it one night and his response was that he would never take it with Petrie still there. He was interviewed for the job, for something like 5 and a half hours and then next time he was at Easter Road Petrie asked him who he was.

silverhibee
09-10-2015, 01:23 PM

He was the No 1 choice by the the 2 wise men who were sent out to find our new manager.

Abergreen (poster on here) will know all about this.

--------
09-10-2015, 01:31 PM
I spoke to Michael about it one night and his response was that he would never take it with Petrie still there. He was interviewed for the job, for something like 5 and a half hours and then next time he was at Easter Road Petrie asked him who he was.

He was the No 1 choice by the the 2 wise men who were sent out to find our new manager.

Abergreen (poster on here) will know all about this.

You couldn't make it up.

I'm still not happy that Petrie's still around. Hibs will never really prosper until he's gone.

silverhibee
09-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Or Wales?

What exactly do you see about him that's "a tad Polish"? Just looks like a daft laddie to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how does the Daily Record make out that the referee adding a minute to the end of the game to make up for the minute wasted by this kid's pitch invasion mean that it's his fault Scotland lost? If he hadn't run on to the pitch wouldn't we just have got to the decisive free-kick a minute earlier than we did?

So the kid kept Scotland in the tournament a minute longer than the team could have. :greengrin

BTW - are the people at the Record trying to get the kid beaten up? Asking for an identification? Wanting his name?

Maybe it was the floodlights shining on him. :greengrin

It will be there exclusive on the front page tomorrow.

Name, Address, workplace will all be known to us tomorrow. :rolleyes:

TrinityHibs
09-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Or Wales?

You are of course correct Doddie. I had forgotten they still had 15 players left able to play but looking at the way the two teams have been playing its hard to see Wales getting anything out of that game.

Colr
09-10-2015, 04:09 PM
You couldn't make it up.

I'm still not happy that Petrie's still around. Hibs will never really prosper until he's gone.

He's a pound shop Sepp Blatter (only kidding).

California-Hibs
09-10-2015, 04:21 PM
Really, ever the optimist you.

He's right. We would of walked Northern Irelands group!

Alfred E Newman
09-10-2015, 04:31 PM
We missed out on the play offs last night not qualification. It probably put us out our misery earlier. The damage was done in Georgia.

truehibernian
09-10-2015, 05:44 PM
Middle to front we are okay and appear to be moving in the right direction with some good talent to come through as well in the next 2 years - however the blind faith towards players like Forrest I find annoying - little Fraser on loan at Ipswich is in far better form in a far better league - was Maloney injured ?? Why was he not in the starting 11........a better naturally gifted 'baller you won't see in a Scotland jersey.

Scotland will always fail to qualify due to not, for a number of years, having solid centre backs who are comfortable with the ball at their feet - I think young Andy Robertson and Shinnie (and Anya) will be the future for the left back berth, but the lack of competition for the other three places at this level is startling - sad fact also is I don't see any coming through (Scottish by birth).

Hindsight is of course a great thing but WGS got it completely wrong with his selection in Tblisi - it was a foregone conclusion from thereonin for me.

What Scotland should also be doing is not just waiting until international games to meet up and train - the facts are there for everyone to see, we are simply not good enough to even qualify for an extended Euro competition - so change and innovation is required if that is the level players want to play at. They should be meeting up 3 times a year beyond internationals with our domestic clubs buying into this as they have lots to gain too (they'll complain about injuries and their schedules).

Enough is enough though - there are good reasons we are not qualifying anymore and I don't buy this 'gallant losers' tag - we are simply not good enough when it all boils down to it and the clubs, chairmen and SFA need to get their heads together and decide what investment is needed and what clubs need to do to assist the national game. The academies are superb but grass roots has little to no investment from government, nor do they show signs of adding subsidy to clubs who show ambition in youth development. It is our national game and you would think it is no more important than tiddlywinks to some in high places. I'd love to see foreign coaches and sports scientists attending the academies and introducing new ideas from the continent. We are being overtaken at an alarming pace by countries who have invested in other nations coaching styles and ideas.......we are not above doing the same.

Well done the other home nations though - maybe this will also force Regan out the door, who has been utterly hopeless during his tenure. New focus, new direction and new ideas required for me. Maybe wee Platini will be on the lookout for a job soon :greengrin

Lago
09-10-2015, 06:00 PM
He's right. We would of walked Northern Irelands group!
Cant agree, Scotland have been shown to be a fairly mediocre team and qualification from N. Ireland's group wouldnt in my opinion be a given.

hiberactive
09-10-2015, 06:46 PM
I think what really hurt us was our inability to defend and see a game out,1-1 in Germany,lose a terrible goal from a corner,2-1 up against Poland home and away,unable to see it out,lose a really bad goal against Georgia and end up being beaten.Turn those games into two wins and two draws we would have been 6 points better off going into the last game against Gibraltar.We must have better defenders than Grant Hanley and Russel Martin-Hutton has been torture also,throw David Marshall into the mix and I felt we were always vulnerable in defence.

truehibernian
09-10-2015, 06:49 PM
I think what really hurt us was our inability to defend and see a game out,1-1 in Germany,lose a terrible goal from a corner,2-1 up against Poland home and away,unable to see it out,lose a really bad goal against Georgia and end up being beaten.Turn those games into two wins and two draws we would have been 6 points better off going into the last game against Gibraltar.We must have better defenders than Grant Hanley and Russel Martin-Hutton has been torture also,throw David Marshall into the mix and I felt we were always vulnerable in defence.

We have scored really good goals this campaign, indeed, some of the best I've seen from a national team - however you are bang on - the defending has cost us yet again. We have very very poor defenders and have done for a number of years.

Christophe Berra for example would never ever get near a domestic league side for me as he is so immobile and error prone - yet he is the nearest 'challenge' to Hanley and Martin........that for me says it all !!

bingo70
09-10-2015, 07:00 PM
We have scored really good goals this campaign, indeed, some of the best I've seen from a national team - however you are bang on - the defending has cost us yet again. We have very very poor defenders and have done for a number of years.

Christophe Berra for example would never ever get near a domestic league side for me as he is so immobile and error prone - yet he is the nearest 'challenge' to Hanley and Martin........that for me says it all !!

Is Reynolds at Aberdeen not pretty good? Always impressed me when I've seen him although that's not been a lot.

Iain G
09-10-2015, 07:05 PM

I know its seen as a strength to some folks but Strachan has been too loyal to some players, especially in defence, surely Whitty is a better option than that huddie Hutton, and the likes of Mulgrew are nowhere near good enough. Time to blood the next generation coming through and build for the future again instead of sticking with the same old not good enough players.

Blaster
09-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Where are these magic centre halfs that folk think we have? Martin and Hanley are clearly not brilliant but there isn't another centre half who springs to my mind who is better.

hiberactive
09-10-2015, 07:19 PM

I think you are right,Berra is about the closest but very like Hanlon in my opinion-it doesn't help that there is a severe lack of Scottish centre halfs/ sweepers playing for the top clubs in either Scotland or England,like the previous post said, other than Mark Reynolds I am struggling to think of anyone who could play at that level and maybe that was Stachan's biggest problem.

truehibernian
09-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Where are these magic centre halfs that folk think we have? Martin and Hanley are clearly not brilliant but there isn't another centre half who springs to my mind who is better.

You've highlighted my point Blaster.........there are no international class centre halves in our game at present. Something which needs addressed immediately or we will never qualify for any tourneys.

Years ago we had Holton, McNeill, McQueen, Young, Buchan, McLeish, Miller, Hansen, Gillespie, Narey.......the conveyor belt stopped all of a sudden for me (from a defender point of view).

Brightside
09-10-2015, 07:27 PM
You've highlighted my point Blaster.........there are no international class centre halves in our game at present. Something which needs addressed immediately or we will never qualify for any tourneys.

Years ago we had Holton, McNeill, McQueen, Young, Buchan, McLeish, Miller, Hansen, Gillespie, Narey.......the conveyor belt stopped all of a sudden for me (from a defender point of view).

Hanlon is better than both. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
09-10-2015, 07:35 PM
I think you are right,Berra is about the closest but very like Hanlon in my opinion-it doesn't help that there is a severe lack of Scottish centre halfs/ sweepers playing for the top clubs in either Scotland or England,like the previous post said, other than Mark Reynolds I am struggling to think of anyone who could play at that level and maybe that was Stachan's biggest problem.

Berra is one of the worst ever centre backs in modern times, to pull on a scotland strip

truehibernian
09-10-2015, 07:36 PM

Ooooooh underscore you nearly had me on my 'Hanlon' soapbox :greengrin..........I've been a huge critic of Paul over his Hibs career as I really think he went backwards and was sunk into Hibs mediocrity............yet last two seasons I ate humble pie and admit he has shown true mettle and been a very very good player for us..............however I ain't biting :greengrin..........PH is nowhere near int'l class..........neither is Hanley I have to say.........I actually rate Russell Martin as I think he is a good footballer.

For the right back slot I can't see much talent to give Hutton competition..........perhaps Douglas or Paul Dixon however they are lefties......Whitty is best placed as a wing back in a 3-5-2 for me.

I'm just waiting for the Record or Sun to find a Scottish gran for Tavernier.............:rolleyes:

hiberactive
09-10-2015, 07:41 PM
Spelling error from me,was trying to say Berra is similar to Hanley,not Paul Hanlon.

Blaster
09-10-2015, 07:46 PM

Was waiting for that lol

heretoday
09-10-2015, 10:58 PM
John Collins should be Scotland coach. He'd whip them into shape.

liamh2202
10-10-2015, 09:05 AM
Ooooooh underscore you nearly had me on my 'Hanlon' soapbox :greengrin..........I've been a huge critic of Paul over his Hibs career as I really think he went backwards and was sunk into Hibs mediocrity............yet last two seasons I ate humble pie and admit he has shown true mettle and been a very very good player for us..............however I ain't biting :greengrin..........PH is nowhere near int'l class..........neither is Hanley I have to say.........I actually rate Russell Martin as I think he is a good footballer.

For the right back slot I can't see much talent to give Hutton competition..........perhaps Douglas or Paul Dixon however they are lefties......Whitty is best placed as a wing back in a 3-5-2 for me.

I'm just waiting for the Record or Sun to find a Scottish gran for Tavernier.............:rolleyes:

Whitty should be rb Robertson left back for me... Hutton should be sent to play on some Indian railway line and don't get me started on Forrest

JimBHibees
10-10-2015, 09:20 AM

One poor result is the bottom line. To say the campaign had disaster all over it is sensationalist nonsense.

JimBHibees
10-10-2015, 09:27 AM

Completely agree some of the goals have been horrific including the ones you mention.

Bishop Hibee
10-10-2015, 09:42 AM
I was chatting to a work colleague and we agreed we haven't had a top class centre half for years. Can anyone name a great one since Colin Hendry? Disagree about any criticism of Marshall in goals. He's played well for us.

J-C
10-10-2015, 09:52 AM
I was chatting to a work colleague and we agreed we haven't had a top class centre half for years. Can anyone name a great one since Colin Hendry? Disagree about any criticism of Marshall in goals. He's played well for us.

Apart from being beaten at the near post with the ball going under his foot for the first Polish goal.

J-C
10-10-2015, 10:05 AM
One poor result is the bottom line. To say the campaign had disaster all over it is sensationalist nonsense.

Sensationalist is a wee bit OTT :confused:

We again started off with a new manager who we all seem to believe in, his enthusiasm, promise of playing players young or old as long as they were in form and good enough and things started off ok. Sitting in a good position we go there looking to play safe, why? we need a win not a draw and we got beat. Same old players being chosen and players on form not getting a game, looks familiar eh! Unable to defend in the 2 matches which were vital, at home to Germany and Poland, no midfield to help the defence and a poor poor defence.

Maybe disaster was a bit too much but it was the sheer disappointment of the usual implosion in the games that matter, only Scotland.

Allant1981
10-10-2015, 10:18 AM
A few of his selections have been poor, robertson should be playing left back, whittaker roght back, gordon in goals, brown should be dropped, mcarthur should be in, fletcher should be dropped and play griffiths up front. All in my opinion of course

hibsbollah
10-10-2015, 10:28 AM
It seems to be the done thing to slag off any attempt to add some perspective to our failure to qualify by accusing people of 'tolerating failure' or 'revelling in same old glorious failure hard luck stories'.

But the truth is, based on the current standards of the domestic game, WGS and his team has done an unbelievable job getting us to the stage where we got as close as we did to getting out of a group as tough as that. Sacking him now would be just lunacy.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-10-2015, 10:40 AM
It seems to be the done thing to slag off any attempt to add some perspective to our failure to qualify by accusing people of 'tolerating failure' or 'revelling in same old glorious failure hard luck stories'.

But the truth is, based on the current standards of the domestic game, WGS and his team has done an unbelievable job getting us to the stage where we got as close as we did to getting out of a group as tough as that. Sacking him now would be just lunacy.

Far too much common sense in that post! :top marks(Even although the final outcome was ultimately a tad disappointing).

pacorosssco
10-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Completely agree some of the goals have been horrific including the ones you mention.

Took few days to calm down, back 4 and Marshall are problem. Young Robertson aside. Weve scored 4 v Poland 3 v Germany 2 v Ireland. Its losing goals that is problem. Marshall near post side foot and totally switched off defence second. Two on post. Cant believe we never had two in front off post. Sadly no better defenders to select . Same problems will continue. Regardless of manger. Strachan got o badly wrong in Georgia but I would defo keep. Needs to drop Scott Brown and his favourites.

jacomo
10-10-2015, 11:55 AM

David Weir maybe. Not sure if 'top class' but definitely decent.

Stax
10-10-2015, 12:25 PM

Can't really disagree with any of that. I have a feeling Strachan might walk himself though.

Allant1981
10-10-2015, 12:32 PM

But he doesnt really play many players that are based in scotland so its not really based on the state of our game up here. His team selections havent been great and if he had picked players in good form then we may have qualified, yet he sticks with guys who are either playing poorly or cant even get a game.

bingo70
10-10-2015, 12:33 PM
Can't really disagree with any of that. I have a feeling Strachan might walk himself though.

Yeah, he'll know it's a big ask for us to qualify for the world cup with the current squad never mind with some of his favorites likely to retire or get progressively worse.

If he leaves now his stock will be relatively high and he'll get another club job. If he stays on, we don't qualify he'll likely be sacked and imo could struggle to get another decent job.

I hope he stays on, not got the faintest idea of any decent possible replacements.

Gordy M
10-10-2015, 12:40 PM

Completely agree mate, when you look at the group we had and some of the results, i genuinely think we have been a tad unlucky. If l, and i know if is a big word, germany had won their games, as expected then we would have been guaranteed a play off and still have a chance of 2nd.

If u had said to me vefore the campaign that we would beat georgia and gilbrater home and away, beat roi at home and draw away and draw twice with poland, id have snapped your hand off for that....unfortunately that still wouldnt have been enough, still be 4th and a draw between roi and poland would still see us out!?!?

Pretty Boy
10-10-2015, 12:46 PM
Yeah, he'll know it's a big ask for us to qualify for the world cup with the current squad never mind with some of his favorites likely to retire or get progressively worse.

If he leaves now his stock will be relatively high and he'll get another club job. If he stays on, we don't qualify he'll likely be sacked and imo could struggle to get another decent job.

I hope he stays on, not got the faintest idea of any decent possible replacements.

Tbh I actually think a new manager, or Strachan, has some good young players to be bringing in.

Mackay-Steven, Armstrong, Griffiths, Shinnie, Robertson and even the likes of Nicholson and Walker at Hearts. I also think consistent premier league performers like Snodgrass and McArthur deserve more of a look in as the senior players in the side.

It's probably time to start phasing out some of the old guard gradually and picking players who are performing consistently well for their clubs, as most of the above are, over the stalwarts who have struggled over the last few years.

Bishop Hibee
10-10-2015, 01:11 PM
Apart from being beaten at the near post with the ball going under his foot for the first Polish goal.

Finger of blame points well before Lewandowski was one-on-one. Very harsh to blame Marshall in my opinion. If you do, whose better?

pontius pilate
10-10-2015, 01:33 PM
We talk about the talented youngsters we have got and I brought it up earlier in the thread but when will they actually get their chance when it's constantly the old guard being picked. Like others have stated we have the likes of GMS Armstrong shinnie Robertson Gauld sparky a few of the hearts lads and Allan. Mix them with the likes of dorrans McCormack MacArthur and Morrison id even ask commons to reconsider his position and the future looks not too bad. But it comes down to when do these lads get a shot

--------
10-10-2015, 01:47 PM
Maybe it was the floodlights shining on him. :greengrin

It will be there exclusive on the front page tomorrow.

Name, Address, workplace will all be known to us tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Ah, THAT kind of 'polish'. :greengrin

He's a prat all right, and he don't look to be the brightest of the bulbs in the chandelier, but a newspaper (sort of) trying to get the kid's name, address, and telephone number's way out or order.

Thinking of some of the bamsticks I see around the football grounds ....

BTW, I see the SFA's been cited over a lack of body searches, this (and other?) pitch invasions, blocked stairways, and the Polish support's plentiful supply if flares and incendiaries. Doesn't UEFA realise that the Glasgow polis only attend football matches in a purely decorative capacity? I mean, who could have foreseen that there might be any security concerns at a crucial European Championships qualifier?

Apparently there were 'blocked stairways' as well. Polis and stewards hanging around having a quiet cuppa and ciggie?

"Brewery, organise, p***up, couldnae ..." :bitchy:

J-C
10-10-2015, 02:33 PM
Finger of blame points well before Lewandowski was one-on-one. Very harsh to blame Marshall in my opinion. If you do, whose better?

Don't get me wrong, the defence and midfield leading up to the goal was shocking but it was also poor keeping, his reaction was slow and the ball was past him before he was even going down, that was the point I was making, instead of getting body behind the ball, he was trying to keep it out with his foot.

Brightside
10-10-2015, 02:36 PM

Colin Hendry?? He was murder! Thats the problem as a nation we continue to create players like that!

ACLeith
10-10-2015, 02:53 PM
Don't get me wrong, the defence and midfield leading up to the goal was shocking but it was also poor keeping, his reaction was slow and the ball was past him before he was even going down, that was the point I was making, instead of getting body behind the ball, he was trying to keep it out with his foot.

He was facing 1-on-1 with the top striker in Europe at present. If he had moved to cover his near post it would have been passed into the other side. He had no time to react when it was played where it was. I thought his performance was very acceptable, good shot-stopping, other than one dodgy punch catching the ball cleanly and one excellent take from a fierce cutback when any spillage would have meant a tap-in. I think goalie is the least of our issues right now.

Tyler Durden
10-10-2015, 03:30 PM
We talk about the talented youngsters we have got and I brought it up earlier in the thread but when will they actually get their chance when it's constantly the old guard being picked. Like others have stated we have the likes of GMS Armstrong shinnie Robertson Gauld sparky a few of the hearts lads and Allan. Mix them with the likes of dorrans McCormack MacArthur and Morrison id even ask commons to reconsider his position and the future looks not too bad. But it comes down to when do these lads get a shot

Most of the first batch you mention don't even play for their club sides, why would they deserve a chance for Scotland?

People slagging Hanley and Martin, there is nobody better out there! These guys have done well for Scotland but as a team they've not done enough, losing goals at set pieces and failing to grind out the results their play merited

ACLeith
10-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Most of the first batch you mention don't even play for their club sides, why would they deserve a chance for Scotland?

People slagging Hanley and Martin, there is nobody better out there! These guys have done well for Scotland but as a team they've not done enough, losing goals at set pieces and failing to grind out the results their play merited

Thought Hanley and Martin were at their best after we went ahead by putting their bodies on the line to "repel boarders". But they are very similar players, neither of whom are creative out of defence, and that showed up a few times earlier in the game. But as you said TD, who do we have that are better right now?

bingo70
10-10-2015, 06:16 PM
Thought Hanley and Martin were at their best after we went ahead by putting their bodies on the line to "repel boarders". But they are very similar players, neither of whom are creative out of defence, and that showed up a few times earlier in the game. But as you said TD, who do we have that are better right now?

They've actually surprised me and sometimes I find.myself slagging them out of habit abd because their names are the first ones that come to mind, don't think they've done a huge amount wrong though.

That said though, the lack of cover and strength in depth in that position is a concern. Guessing neither is too young so the next few years could see us with real problems there.

JimBHibees
10-10-2015, 06:52 PM
Colin Hendry?? He was murder! Thats the problem as a nation we continue to create players like that!

Won the English premier league a bit one dimensional but way better at his best than we have. Think Hanley has potential.

bingo70
10-10-2015, 07:25 PM
See Gordon strachan is saying he'll decide about his future over the next few days and announce it after the Gibraltar game. To me that sounds like he could be away, if he was staying he could put it to bed right away.

Who are the candidates to replace him? Would have to be someone from further afield as there's no decent Scottish candidates I can think of.

I could see an Englishman getting it but not sure who's available just now?

hibeeleicester
10-10-2015, 08:42 PM
Sir Alex....

cabbageandribs1875
10-10-2015, 08:50 PM
wales qualify even though they got beat...israel couldn't even beat cypru

HH81
10-10-2015, 08:50 PM
You guys must be gutted after watching the Wales ending.

Scotland are due a bit of luck with a draw.

Hibby Bairn
10-10-2015, 08:54 PM
See Gordon strachan is saying he'll decide about his future over the next few days and announce it after the Gibraltar game. To me that sounds like he could be away, if he was staying he could put it to bed right away.

Who are the candidates to replace him? Would have to be someone from further afield as there's no decent Scottish candidates I can think of.

Advocaat

J-C
10-10-2015, 09:22 PM

McLeish.

bingo70
11-10-2015, 04:37 AM
You guys must be gutted after watching the Wales ending.

Scotland are due a bit of luck with a draw.

Tbf the world cup draw is as good as we could hope for, with the exception of England who I'm sure will win the group.

bingo70
11-10-2015, 10:31 AM
Interesting to read that strachans record to date is almost identical to levein.

Not sure if that means levein is better than I thought, strachan is worse than I thought or that we're just really ***** and changing manager won't make a blind but difference.

Green Man
11-10-2015, 06:33 PM
If we could appoint a manager who didn't pick Alan Hutton, that would make an instant improvement. Tonight's line up is dismal.

GordonHFC
11-10-2015, 06:36 PM
If we could appoint a manager who didn't pick Alan Hutton, that would make an instant improvement. Tonight's line up is dismal.

Completely agree. One of the worst full backs I've ever seen.

cabbageandribs1875
11-10-2015, 06:56 PM
if Gibraltar score the remote goes through the TV screen, i really mean it this time

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-10-2015, 07:01 PM
1 0 Poland

cabbageandribs1875
11-10-2015, 07:02 PM
1-1 oirland

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-10-2015, 07:07 PM
I wish Fletcher would get rid of that beard, its a shocker!

emerald green
11-10-2015, 07:08 PM
Interesting to read that strachans record to date is almost identical to levein.

Not sure if that means levein is better than I thought, strachan is worse than I thought or that we're just really ***** and changing manager won't make a blind but difference.

I don't think it matters who Scotland appoint as manager. As a nation, we are just not that good. When did Scotland last produce a "world class" footballer? I'm struggling to name one apart from maybe Kenny Dalglish.

Scotland probably about punch our weight and finish most tournaments about where we are expected to (except by the deluded or eternally optimistic) occasionally just failing near the end of the group stages, i.e. just not quite good enough.

cabbageandribs1875
11-10-2015, 07:09 PM
woopee :) 1-0

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-10-2015, 07:10 PM
What a team!

3pm
11-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Is Steven Naismith the only person to score in this campaign that was actually born in Scotland?!

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-10-2015, 07:13 PM
I don't think it matters who Scotland appoint as manager. As a nation, we are just not that good. When did Scotland last produce a "world class" footballer? I'm struggling to name one apart from maybe Kenny Dalglish.

Scotland probably about punch our weight and finish most tournaments about where we are expected to (except by the deluded or eternally optimistic) occasionally just failing near the end of the group stages, i.e. just not quite good enough.

If we had been in Northern Irelands group I could've led Scotland to qualification.

J-C
11-10-2015, 07:15 PM
I hate how Fletcher needs 10 chances before he scores, misses so many.

California-Hibs
11-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Completely agree. One of the worst full backs I've ever seen.

Not nearly as bad as folk make out, no where near it. Some guys in here would make terrible football managers.

ballengeich
11-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Is Steven Naismith the only person to score in this campaign that was actually born in Scotland?!

No. There's Aiden McGeady.

Northernhibee
11-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Not nearly as bad as folk make out, no where near it. Some guys in here would make terrible football managers.

I know I would, I'd be too busy amusing myself by putting in derisory transfer offers for Lionel Messi around the £20k mark then trying to unsettle him in the media, Football Manager style :greengrin

emerald green
11-10-2015, 07:23 PM
If we had been in Northern Irelands group I could've led Scotland to qualification.

Possibly, but I wouldn't have bet on it though.

cabbageandribs1875
11-10-2015, 07:24 PM
2-0 :) maloney

cabbageandribs1875
11-10-2015, 07:28 PM
poland 2-1

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-10-2015, 07:30 PM
Possibly, but I wouldn't have bet on it though.

I can understand that, we would've been odds on. ;-)

cabbageandribs1875
11-10-2015, 07:32 PM
possession

34% v 66%

shots

1 v 18

cabbageandribs1875
11-10-2015, 07:47 PM
11,000 tartan army foot soldiers in attendance

:)

lucky
11-10-2015, 07:47 PM
It's just gutting losing to Georgia and the last minute goal against Poles. We'd be 5 points better off and level with Germans. But that's Scotland for you. I hope Strachan stays on. A bit like Hibs progress is being made but not quick enough

cabbageandribs1875
11-10-2015, 07:48 PM
not impressed at all with ritchie tonight

cabbageandribs1875
11-10-2015, 07:52 PM
3-0 the bearded man finally scores, great cross from hutton

Germany 1 Georgia(kin boooo) 0

Speedy
11-10-2015, 07:56 PM

Anya scored against Germany.

cabbageandribs1875
11-10-2015, 07:56 PM
4-0 bearded boy again :)

shots

1 v 21

Gordy M
11-10-2015, 07:59 PM
Germany 1 georgia 1

Stax
11-10-2015, 07:59 PM
not impressed at all with ritchie tonight
I was thinking the same against Poland until he scored a carbon copy of the Worldy he scored for Bournemouth.

cabbageandribs1875
11-10-2015, 08:03 PM
darren fletcher on for broonaldo

Pretty Boy
11-10-2015, 08:08 PM
Robbies could well be christened little Warsaw tonight. Loads of Poles in cheering their team on.

Zazu62
11-10-2015, 08:08 PM
Germany doing there best to beat us yet give everyone else points

Speedy
11-10-2015, 08:11 PM
Germany doing there best to beat us yet give everyone else points

Does a 2-1 defeat and 2-2 draw in the Ireland game put them 3rd?

GordonHFC
11-10-2015, 08:11 PM

I have my opinion and you have yours.

hibee-boys
11-10-2015, 08:12 PM
I remember when I used to get excited about watching Scotland games, seems a long time ago. Unfortunately our national team now is made up from a collection of over hyped Celtic players, premiership subs and journeyman championship players.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-10-2015, 08:12 PM
The commentator is getting on my tits, how many times is he going to mention that we never qualified? We effin know mate!

Northernhibee
11-10-2015, 08:13 PM
I have my opinion and you have yours.

Lorraine Kelly has Lorraine Kelly's. :agree:

theonlywayisup
11-10-2015, 08:16 PM
What a frustrating campaign this has been for Scotland?

We've played two games against Germany. Whilst there were times when the World Champions were clearly dominating, at no time did they threaten to run riot like other teams have done in previous campaigns against us. It would be easy to argue that two draws would have been fairer results and, if we had a Bale type player, we could even have won one of them.

Against Poland, we should have got more that two points. Four points should have been our minimum.

Against Ireland, we got 4 points, which is about right.

Against the minnows, the loss against Georgia was our only poor performance.

This has been a much improved campaign, but we are not getting the results that our displays merit. It just seems other teams have that knack of playing poorly but getting a winner or last minute draw - the Irish being perfect examples.

sambajustice
11-10-2015, 08:17 PM
Surely teams like Gibraltar, Faroes, San Marino, Malta, Andorra and Luxembourg would be much better off just having a bi-annual tournament among themselves rather than being fodder for other team. This is embarrassing and its only Scotland they're playing. Surely these smaller teams would enjoy it more as well as it would be meaningful games for them.

cabbageandribs1875
11-10-2015, 08:20 PM
ffs naismith